Genomes and Genes
Summary: Derivatives of oxazolidin-2-one. They represent an important class of synthetic antibiotic agents.
Publications278 found, 100 shown here
- Two novel point mutations in clinical Staphylococcus aureus reduce linezolid susceptibility and switch on the stringent response to promote persistent infectionWei Gao
Department of Microbiology, Monash University, Clayton, Victoria, Australia
PLoS Pathog 6:e1000944. 2010..These results reinforce the exquisite adaptability of S. aureus and show how subtle molecular changes cause major alterations in bacterial behaviour, as well as highlighting potential weaknesses of current antibiotic treatment regimens...
- The Cfr rRNA methyltransferase confers resistance to Phenicols, Lincosamides, Oxazolidinones, Pleuromutilins, and Streptogramin A antibioticsKatherine S Long
Institute of Molecular Biology and Physiology, University of Copenhagen, Sølvgade 83 H, DK 1307 Copenhagen K, Denmark
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 50:2500-5. 2006..The phenotype is named PhLOPSA for resistance to the following drug classes: Phenicols, Lincosamides, Oxazolidinones, Pleuromutilins, and Streptogramin A antibiotics...
- Assessment of linezolid resistance mechanisms among Staphylococcus epidermidis causing bacteraemia in Rome, ItalyRodrigo E Mendes
JMI Laboratories, North Liberty, IA 52317, USA
J Antimicrob Chemother 65:2329-35. 2010..Isolates also showed elevated MICs of macrolide, lincosamide and streptogramin (MLS) compounds, which were investigated...
- Oxazolidinones: activity, mode of action, and mechanism of resistanceBulent Bozdogan
Department of Pathology, Penn State University Hershey Medical Center, H083, 500 University Drive, PO Box 850 Hershey, PA 17033, USA
Int J Antimicrob Agents 23:113-9. 2004b>Oxazolidinones are a new group of antibiotics...
- The oxazolidinones: past, present, and futureKaren Joy Shaw
Trius Therapeutics, Inc, Department of Biology, San Diego, California 92121, USA
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1241:48-70. 2011..Over a dozen oxazolidinones have reached the clinic, but many were discontinued due to lack of differentiated potency, inadequate ..
- Modulating cholesteryl ester transfer protein activity maintains efficient pre-β-HDL formation and increases reverse cholesterol transportEric J Niesor
Pharmaceuticals Division, F Hoffmann La Roche Ltd, Basel, Switzerland
J Lipid Res 51:3443-54. 2010..These data suggest that modulation of CETP activity by dalcetrapib does not inhibit CETP-induced pre-β-HDL formation, which may be required to increase reverse cholesterol transport...
- Acquisition of a natural resistance gene renders a clinical strain of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus resistant to the synthetic antibiotic linezolidSeok Ming Toh
Center for Pharmaceutical Biotechnology, University of Illinois, Chicago, IL 60607, USA
Mol Microbiol 64:1506-14. 2007..This is the first example of clinical resistance to the synthetic drug linezolid which involves a natural resistance gene with the capability of disseminating among Gram-positive pathogenic strains...
- Activities of clindamycin, daptomycin, doxycycline, linezolid, trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole, and vancomycin against community-associated methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus with inducible clindamycin resistance in murine thigh infection and in viKerry L LaPlante
Anti Infective Research Laboratory, Eugene Applebaum College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences, Wayne State University, Detroit, Michigan 48201, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 52:2156-62. 2008..At present, there are several alternatives that appear promising for treating clindamycin resistance-inducible strains of CA-MRSA...
- Linezolid, the first oxazolidinone antibacterial agentKaren L Leach
Pfizer Global Research and Development, Groton, Connecticut 06340, USA
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1222:49-54. 2011....
- Virulence factor expression by Gram-positive cocci exposed to subinhibitory concentrations of linezolidCurtis G Gemmell
University Department of Bacteriology and Immunology, University of Glasgow, Royal Infirmary, 84 86 Castle Street, Glasgow G4 OSF, UK
J Antimicrob Chemother 50:665-72. 2002..8% bacteria ingested versus 37.5%; P <or= 0.05). A reduction in virulence factor expression at sub-MIC linezolid concentrations may be of benefit in the treatment of Gram-positive infections...
- Transferable multidrug resistance plasmid carrying cfr associated with tet(L), ant(4')-Ia, and dfrK genes from a clinical methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus ST125 strainEnrique Ruiz de Gopegui
Servicio de Microbiologia, Hospital Universitari Son Espases, Palma de Mallorca, Spain
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 56:2139-42. 2012..pERGB was transferable by conjugation and carried the resistance genes cfr (oxazolidinones, phenicols, lincosamides, pleuromutilins, and streptogramin A), ant(4')-Ia (tobramycin), tet(L) (tetracycline),..
- Resistance to linezolid is mediated by the cfr gene in the first report of an outbreak of linezolid-resistant Staphylococcus aureusGracia Morales
Clinical Microbiology Service, Hospital Clinico San Carlos, Madrid, Spain
Clin Infect Dis 50:821-5. 2010..We investigated the mechanism of resistance--point mutations in domain V of 23S ribosomal RNA (rRNA) or presence of the cfr gene--involved in the outbreak...
- Linezolid-resistant clinical isolates of meticillin-resistant coagulase-negative staphylococci and Enterococcus faecium from ChinaJia Chang Cai
2nd Affiliated Hospital of Zhejiang University, Zhejiang University, 88 Jiefang Road, Hangzhou 310009, PR China
J Med Microbiol 61:1568-73. 2012..There was a clonal dissemination of linezolid-resistant MRCoNS in intensive care units of our hospital, and this is the first report, to our knowledge, of linezolid-resistant staphylococci and enterococci in China...
- Hematologic effects of linezolid: summary of clinical experienceStanton L Gerson
Division of Hematology Oncology and Ireland Cancer Center, Case Western Reserve University, University Hospitals of Cleveland, 10900 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44106 4937, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 46:2723-6. 2002..Hematologic abnormalities were consistent with mild, reversible, duration-dependent myelosuppression. Appropriate monitoring is warranted with linezolid use...
- Linezolid vs glycopeptide antibiotics for the treatment of suspected methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus nosocomial pneumonia: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trialsAllan J Walkey
Boston University School of Medicine, The Pulmonary Center, 715 Albany St, R 304, Boston, MA 02118, USA
Chest 139:1148-55. 2011..Societal guidelines suggest linezolid may be the preferred treatment of MRSA nosocomial pneumonia. We investigated the efficacy of linezolid compared with glycopeptide antibiotics (vancomycin or teicoplanin) for nosocomial pneumonia...
- Cost-effectiveness of linezolid and vancomycin in the treatment of surgical site infectionsAsad E Patanwala
The University of Arizona College of Pharmacy, Tucson, AZ, USA
Curr Med Res Opin 23:185-93. 2007....
- Frovatriptan versus zolmitriptan for the acute treatment of migraine: a double-blind, randomized, multicenter, Italian studyVincenzo Tullo
Department of Clinical Neurosciences, National Neurological Institute Carlo Besta, Via Celoria 11, 20133, Milan, Italy
Neurol Sci 31:S51-4. 2010..Drug-related adverse events were significantly (p < 0.05) less under F (3 vs. 10). In conclusion, our study suggests that F has a similar efficacy of Z, with some advantage as regards tolerability and recurrence...
- Mutations in ribosomal protein L3 are associated with oxazolidinone resistance in staphylococci of clinical originJeffrey B Locke
Trius Therapeutics, Inc, San Diego, CA 92121, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 53:5275-8. 2009..The oxazolidinone torezolid maintained a >or=8-fold potency advantage over linezolid for both strains...
- Biomarker-assisted dose selection for safety and efficacy in early development of PNU-100480 for tuberculosisRobert S Wallis
Pfizer, Groton New London, CT 06320, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 55:567-74. 2011..06 log) (P = 0.002). In conclusion, PNU-100480 was safe and well tolerated at all tested doses. Further studies in patients with tuberculosis are warranted. Biomarkers can accelerate early development of new tuberculosis treatments...
- Novel ribosomal mutations in Staphylococcus aureus strains identified through selection with the oxazolidinones linezolid and torezolid (TR-700)Jeffrey B Locke
Trius Therapeutics, Inc, San Diego, CA 92121, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 53:5265-74. 2009..These data bring to light a variety of novel and less-characterized mutations associated with S. aureus resistance to oxazolidinones and demonstrate the low resistance potential of torezolid.
- Subinhibitory concentrations of linezolid reduce Staphylococcus aureus virulence factor expressionKatussevani Bernardo
Institute for Medical Microbiology, Immunology, and Hygiene, Medical Center, University of Cologne, Cologne, Germany
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 48:546-55. 2004..aureus is especially sensitive to the inhibition of protein synthesis by linezolid, which should be an advantage in the treatment of infections with toxin-producing S. aureus...
- Update on macrolide-lincosamide-streptogramin, ketolide, and oxazolidinone resistance genesMarilyn C Roberts
Department of Environmental and Occupational Health Sciences, School of Public Health and Community Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, WA, USA
FEMS Microbiol Lett 282:147-59. 2008..These mobile elements may play a role in the continued spread of the MLSKO resistance genes into new species, genera, and ecosystems...
- Clinical outbreak of linezolid-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in an intensive care unitMiguel Sanchez Garcia
Intensive Care Department, Hospital Clínico San Carlos and Universidad Complutense, 28040 Madrid, Spain
JAMA 303:2260-4. 2010..Linezolid resistance is extremely uncommon in Staphylococcus aureus...
- Safety of anacetrapib in patients with or at high risk for coronary heart diseaseChristopher P Cannon
TIMI Study Group, Cardiovascular Division, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, MA 02115, USA
N Engl J Med 363:2406-15. 2010..Anacetrapib is a cholesteryl ester transfer protein inhibitor that raises high-density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol and reduces low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol...
- Genome sequencing of linezolid-resistant Streptococcus pneumoniae mutants reveals novel mechanisms of resistanceJie Feng
Centre de Recherche en Infectiologie, Quebec G1V 4G2, Canada
Genome Res 19:1214-23. 2009..Whole-genome sequencing and comparative analyses of S. pneumoniae resistant isolates was useful for discovering novel resistance mutations...
- Linezolid for the treatment of infections caused by Gram-positive pathogens in ChinaDong Fang Lin
Institute of Antibiotics, Huashan Hospital, Fudan University, 12 Wulumuqi Zhong Road, Shanghai 200040, China
Int J Antimicrob Agents 32:241-9. 2008..3%) vancomycin-treated patients discontinued the study drug because of an AE. Linezolid was well tolerated and effective for the treatment of infections caused by Gram-positive pathogens, including meticillin-resistant S. aureus...
- Novel biaryl oxazolidinones: in vitro and in vivo activities with pharmacokinetics in an animal modelTarani Kanta Barman
Department of Infectious Diseases, New Drug Discovery Research, Ranbaxy Research Laboratories, Gurgaon, Haryana, India
Int J Antimicrob Agents 33:280-4. 2009RBx 1000075 and RBx 1000276, the new investigational oxazolidinones, have an extended spectrum of in vitro activity against Gram-positive pathogens and showed minimum inhibitory concentrations (MICs) lower than comparator drugs...
- Cytokines in periradicular lesions: the effect of linezolid treatmentJohn Danin
Department of Cariology and Endodontics, Karolinska Institutet, Huddinge University Hospital, Sweden
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 96:492-8. 2003....
- In vitro bactericidal activities of linezolid in combination with vancomycin, gentamicin, ciprofloxacin, fusidic acid, and rifampin against Staphylococcus aureusPatrick Grohs
Hopital Europeen Georges Pompidou, Paris, France
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 47:418-20. 2003..While the combination with linezolid may reduce the emergence of mutants resistant to the associated drugs, the absence of synergy, especially in the case of vancomycin and ciprofloxacin, does not argue in favor of such combinations...
- Absolute bioavailability and pharmacokinetics of linezolid in hospitalized patients given enteral feedingsPaul Beringer
School of Pharmacy, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA 90033, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 49:3676-81. 2005..Compartmental pharmacokinetic analysis offers a more flexible study application, since bioavailability (F) can be estimated directly with intermixed intravenous/oral doses without a need for a washout period...
- Molecular and epidemiologic characteristics of linezolid-resistant coagulase-negative staphylococci at a tertiary care hospitalKlaudia Kosowska-Shick
Department of Pathology, Penn State Hershey Medical Center, Hershey, PA 17033, USA
Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 68:34-9. 2010..The increase in linezolid-resistant coagulase-negative staphylococci correlated with nosocomial transmission of selected mutated strains in patients who had received linezolid...
- In vitro activities of the Rx-01 oxazolidinones against hospital and community pathogensLaura Lawrence
Rib X Pharmaceuticals, Inc, 300 George Street, New Haven, Connecticut 06511, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 52:1653-62. 2008Rx-01_423 and Rx-01_667 are two members of the family of oxazolidinones that were designed using a combination of computational and medicinal chemistry and conventional biological techniques...
- Characterization of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus strains recovered from a phase IV clinical trial for linezolid versus vancomycin for treatment of nosocomial pneumoniaRodrigo E Mendes
JMI Laboratories, North Liberty, Iowa, USA
J Clin Microbiol 50:3694-702. 2012..The USA300 rate corroborates previous reports describing increased prevalence of USA300 strains causing invasive infections. The prevalence of hVISA was elevated in Asia, and these strains were associated with CC5...
- Linezolid absolute bioavailability and the effect of food on oral bioavailabilityI R Welshman
Department of Clinical Pharmacology, Pharmacia, 301 Henrietta St, Kalamazoo, MI 49007, USA
Biopharm Drug Dispos 22:91-7. 2001..As expected, C(max) was statistically different between the two treatments. However, the mean absolute bioavailability (F) of the tablet, using the IV sterile solution as the reference treatment, was 103% (+/-20%)...
- Comparative in vivo efficacies of epithelial lining fluid exposures of tedizolid, linezolid, and vancomycin for methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in a mouse pneumonia modelPamela R Tessier
Center for Anti Infective Research and Development, Hartford Hospital, Hartford, Connecticut, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 56:2342-6. 2012..TZD and linezolid showed similar efficacies in this MRSA pneumonia model...
- The role of diabetes mellitus in the treatment of skin and skin structure infections caused by methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus: results from three randomized controlled trialsBenjamin A Lipsky
Medical Service, VA Puget Sound Health Care System, 1880 S Columbian Way S 111 GIMC, Seattle, WA 98108 1587, USA
Int J Infect Dis 15:e140-6. 2011..To compare outcomes of treating complicated skin and skin structure infections (cSSSI) caused by methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) with linezolid versus vancomycin in diabetic and non-diabetic patients...
- In vitro susceptibility of Gram-positive pathogens to linezolid and teicoplanin and effect on outcome in critically ill patientsA Peter R Wilson
Department of Clinical Microbiology, University College London Hospitals, 46 Cleveland Street, London W1T 4JF, UK
J Antimicrob Chemother 58:470-3. 2006..To determine the prevalence of teicoplanin and linezolid resistance amongst Gram-positive pathogens isolated in the intensive care unit (ICU) and the impact of any resistance on clinical outcome...
- Biphenyl-substituted oxazolidinones as cholesteryl ester transfer protein inhibitors: modifications of the oxazolidinone ring leading to the discovery of anacetrapibCameron J Smith
Department of Medicinal Chemistry, Merck Research Laboratories, Rahway, New Jersey 07065, United States
J Med Chem 54:4880-95. 2011....
- Changes in lipoprotein subfraction concentration and composition in healthy individuals treated with the CETP inhibitor anacetrapibRonald M Krauss
Children s Hospital Oakland Research Institute, Oakland, CA, USA
J Lipid Res 53:540-7. 2012..The impact of these changes on cardiovascular risk remains to be determined...
- Linezolid pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics in clinical treatmentMatthew S Dryden
Department of Microbiology, Royal Hampshire County Hospital, Romsey Road, Winchester, UK
J Antimicrob Chemother 66:iv7-iv15. 2011....
- Pharmacokinetics, metabolism, and excretion of linezolid following an oral dose of [(14)C]linezolid to healthy human subjectsJ G Slatter
Global Metabolism and Investigative Sciences, Pharmacia Corporation, 301 Henrietta St, Kalamazoo, MI 49007, USA
Drug Metab Dispos 29:1136-45. 2001Linezolid (Zyvox), the first of a new class of antibiotics, the oxazolidinones, is approved for treatment of Gram-positive bacterial infections, including resistant strains...
- Linezolid: pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic evaluation of coadministration with pseudoephedrine HCl, phenylpropanolamine HCl, and dextromethorpan HBrP E Hendershot
Clinical Pharmacology, Pharmacia and Upjohn, Kalamazoo, Michigan 49007-4940, USA
J Clin Pharmacol 41:563-72. 2001..No restrictions are indicated for the coadministration of dextromethorphan and linezolid...
- Single-dose pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of anacetrapib, a potent cholesteryl ester transfer protein (CETP) inhibitor, in healthy subjectsRajesh Krishna
Merck and Co, Inc, Whitehouse Station, NJ 07065 0900, USA
Br J Clin Pharmacol 68:535-45. 2009....
- Serum and cerebrospinal fluid concentrations of linezolid in neurosurgical patientsPavlos Myrianthefs
Athens University School of Nursing ICU, Athens, Greece
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 50:3971-6. 2006..These findings suggest that linezolid may achieve adequate concentrations in the CSF of patients requiring antibiotics for the management or prophylaxis of CNS infections caused by gram-positive pathogens...
- Assessment of a pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic interaction between simvastatin and anacetrapib, a potent cholesteryl ester transfer protein (CETP) inhibitor, in healthy subjectsRajesh Krishna
Merck and Co, Inc, Whitehouse Station, NJ, USA
Br J Clin Pharmacol 67:520-6. 2009..Because of the likely use of anacetrapib with hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl coenzyme A reductase inhibitors, we aimed to evaluate the potential for a pharmacokinetic interaction with simvastatin...
- Complicated skin and skin-structure infections and catheter-related bloodstream infections: noninferiority of linezolid in a phase 3 studyMark H Wilcox
Department of Microbiology, Leeds General Infirmary and University of Leeds Teaching Hospitals, Leeds, England
Clin Infect Dis 48:203-12. 2009..Catheter-related bloodstream infection (CRBSI) causes substantial morbidity and mortality, but few randomized, controlled studies have been conducted to guide therapeutic interventions...
- Addition of PNU-100480 to first-line drugs shortens the time needed to cure murine tuberculosisKathy N Williams
Center for Tuberculosis Research, Department of Medicine, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21231, USA
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 180:371-6. 2009..We recently reported strong bactericidal activity of the oxazolidinone PNU-100480 and its ability to increase the initial bactericidal effect of various combinations of first-line tuberculosis drugs and moxifloxacin in a murine model...
- Different effects of compounds decreasing cholesteryl ester transfer protein activity on lipoprotein metabolismEric J Niesor
Pharmaceuticals Division, F Hoffmann La Roche Ltd, Basel, Switzerland
Curr Opin Lipidol 22:288-95. 2011....
- Anacetrapib, a novel CETP inhibitor: pursuing a new approach to cardiovascular risk reductionD E Gutstein
Merck Sharp and Dohme Corp, Rahway, New Jersey, USA
Clin Pharmacol Ther 91:109-22. 2012..We also describe strategies to target HDL-C, discuss the mechanism underlying CETP inhibition and its effects on lipid biology, and give an overview of other CETP inhibitors that are currently in development...
- Anacetrapib: hope for CETP inhibitors?Ronen Gurfinkel
Robarts Research Institute and Schulich School of Medicine and Dentistry, University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario, Canada, N6A 5K8
Cardiovasc Ther 29:327-39. 2011..This article will briefly review the HDL-C raising through CETP inhibition as an antiatherogenic strategy with a specific focus on anacetrapib...
- Comparison of serotonin toxicity with concomitant use of either linezolid or comparators and serotonergic agents: an analysis of Phase III and IV randomized clinical trial dataJill M Butterfield
Pharmacy Practice, Albany College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences, Albany, NY, USA
J Antimicrob Chemother 67:494-502. 2012..All reported adverse events were evaluated for serotonin toxicity using exact and surrogate terms consistent with Sternbach Criteria and Hunter Serotonin Toxicity Criteria...
- Linezolid versus vancomycin for treatment of resistant Gram-positive infections in childrenSheldon L Kaplan
Baylor College of Medicine and Texas Children s Hospital, 6621 Fannin Street, MC3 2371, Feigin Center No 1150, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Pediatr Infect Dis J 22:677-86. 2003..Pediatric infections caused by resistant Gram-positive infections are an increasing concern with limited treatment options. Linezolid, a new oxazolidinone, is active against staphylococci, streptococci and enterococci...
- Stability of linezolid activity in an era of mobile oxazolidinone resistance determinants: results from the 2009 Zyvox® Annual Appraisal of Potency and Spectrum programDouglas J Biedenbach
JMI Laboratories, North Liberty, IA 52317, USA
Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 68:459-67. 2010..48%) having the mobile cfr gene. The results of this study demonstrate that linezolid continues to be effective in vitro against MDR pathogens, and the resistance rates appear stable...
- Anacetrapib and dalcetrapib: two novel cholesteryl ester transfer protein inhibitorsMarta A Miyares
Pharmacy Department, Jackson Memorial Hospital, Miami, FL, USA
Ann Pharmacother 45:84-94. 2011....
- Vancomycin versus linezolid in the treatment of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus nosocomial pneumonia: implications of the ZEPHyR trialCesar Alaniz
University of Michigan Hospitals and College of Pharmacy, Ann Arbor, USA
Ann Pharmacother 46:1432-5. 2012..Results of the ZEPHyR trial do not support routine use of linezolid for the treatment of MRSA pneumonia...
- Use of pyrosequencing to identify point mutations in domain V of 23S rRNA genes of linezolid-resistant Staphylococcus aureus and Staphylococcus epidermidisW Zhu
Division of Healthcare Quality Promotion, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 1600 Clifton Road, MS G08, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 26:161-5. 2007..epidermidis that were associated with linezolid resistance. A C2534T mutation was identified in S. epidermidis that was not previously reported in a linezolid-resistant isolate...
- Rapid detection and estimation by pyrosequencing of 23S rRNA genes with a single nucleotide polymorphism conferring linezolid resistance in EnterococciAlistair Sinclair
Antibiotic Resistance Monitoring and Reference Laboratory, Specialist and Reference Microbiology Division, Health Protection Agency Colindale, London NW9 5HT, United Kingdom
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 47:3620-2. 2003..A good correlation was found between linezolid MICs and the number of 23S rRNA gene copies carrying the mutation...
- Linezolid compared with teicoplanin for the treatment of suspected or proven Gram-positive infectionsMark Wilcox
Department of Microbiology, Leeds General Infirmary and University of Leeds Teaching Hospitals, Old Medical School, Leeds LS1 3EX
J Antimicrob Chemother 53:335-44. 2004..However, antibiotic discontinuation rates as a result of drug related adverse events were similar (4.7% in the linezolid group versus 3.7%). Linezolid was clinically superior to teicoplanin in the treatment of Gram-positive infections...
- Linezolid in the treatment of methicillin-resistant staphylococcal post-neurosurgical meningitis: a series of 17 casesOguz Resat Sipahi
Department of Infectious Diseases and Clinical Microbiology, Izmir, Turkey
Scand J Infect Dis 43:757-64. 2011..The aim of this study was to evaluate the efficacy of linezolid in methicillin-resistant staphylococcal (methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) and methicillin-resistant coagulase-negative Staphylococcus (MRCoNS)) meningitis...
- Treatment of meningitis caused by methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus with linezolidA T Kessler
Department of Medicine, Northside Cherokee Hospital, Atlanta, GA 30013, USA
Infection 35:271-4. 2007..Clinical trials to address the role of linezolid in CNS infections are urgently needed...
- Linezolid diminishes inflammatory cytokine production from human peripheral blood mononuclear cellsPilar Garcia-Roca
Departamento de Inmunoquímica y Biología Celular, Hospital Infantil de Mexico, Federico Gomez, Mexico, D F, Mexico
Arch Med Res 37:31-5. 2006..Some antibiotics have been reported to have immunomodulatory effects in addition to their antimicrobial activity. We examined the effect of linezolid on cytokine synthesis...
- Efficacy and tolerability of oral zolmitriptan in menstrually associated migraine: a randomized, prospective, parallel-group, double-blind, placebo-controlled studyElizabeth Loder
Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital, Boston, Mass 02114, USA
Headache 44:120-30. 2004..Approximately 60% of female migraineurs report experiencing migraine in association with menstruation, while 7% to 25% experience attacks almost exclusively with menstruation...
- LEADER Program results for 2009: an activity and spectrum analysis of linezolid using 6,414 clinical isolates from 56 medical centers in the United StatesDavid J Farrell
JMI Laboratories, North Liberty, IA 52317, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 55:3684-90. 2011..Linezolid continues to exhibit excellent activity and spectrum, and this study documents the need for continued monitoring of emerging mechanisms of resistance over a wide geographic area...
- Elevated linezolid resistance in clinical cfr-positive Staphylococcus aureus isolates is associated with co-occurring mutations in ribosomal protein L3Jeffrey B Locke
Trius Therapeutics, Inc, 6310 Nancy Ridge Drive, Suite 105, San Diego, CA 92121, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 54:5352-5. 2010..LZD MIC values (16, 32, or 64 μg/ml) correlated with the presence and severity of the L3 mutation. All isolates had TR-700 (torezolid) MIC values of ≤ 2 μg/ml...
- Properties and inhibition of the first two enzymes of the non-mevalonate pathway of isoprenoid biosynthesisC Mueller
Botanical Institute II, University of Karlsruhe, Kaiserstr 12, D 76128 Karlsruhe, Germany
Biochem Soc Trans 28:792-3. 2000..The DXR of plants, isolated from barley seedlings, shows a pH optimum of 8.1, which is typical for enzymes active in the chloroplast stroma...
- Promising antituberculosis activity of the oxazolidinone PNU-100480 relative to that of linezolid in a murine modelK N Williams
Department of Medicine, Center for Tuberculosis Research, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21231, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 53:1314-9. 2009..In this study, we compared the pharmacokinetics and the antituberculosis activities of these two oxazolidinones over a range of doses and found that linezolid has limited activity at clinically relevant doses in the murine ..
- Polyphyletic emergence of linezolid-resistant staphylococci in the United StatesAgnes Wong
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, New York Medical College, Valhalla, NY, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 54:742-8. 2010..epidermidis isolates. These findings suggest that linezolid resistance has emerged independently in multiple clones of S. aureus and with a variety of ribosomal mutations in multiple clones of S. epidermidis...
- Linezolid resistance in Staphylococcus aureus: gene dosage effect, stability, fitness costs, and cross-resistancesSilke Besier
Institut für Medizinische Mikrobiologie und Krankenhaushygiene, Klinikum der Johann Wolfgang Goethe Universitat, Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 52:1570-2. 2008....
- In vivo efficacy of ceftaroline (PPI-0903), a new broad-spectrum cephalosporin, compared with linezolid and vancomycin against methicillin-resistant and vancomycin-intermediate Staphylococcus aureus in a rabbit endocarditis modelCedric Jacqueline
Universite de Nantes, Nantes Atlantique Universites, Therapeutiques Cliniques et Experimentales des Infections, EA3826, UFR Medecine, Nantes, France
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 51:3397-400. 2007..After a 4-day treatment, ceftaroline exhibited superior bactericidal in vivo activity against resistant S. aureus strains and appeared to be the most effective drug against a heterogeneous glycopeptide-intermediate S. aureus strain...
- Vancomycin MIC creep in non-vancomycin-intermediate Staphylococcus aureus (VISA), vancomycin-susceptible clinical methicillin-resistant S. aureus (MRSA) blood isolates from 2001-05Gregory Steinkraus
New Hanover Regional Medical Center, 2131 South 17th Street, Wilmington, NC 28402, USA
J Antimicrob Chemother 60:788-94. 2007..Additionally, MIC trends were evaluated for oxacillin, linezolid and daptomycin...
- Linezolid versus vancomycin for the treatment of gram-positive bacterial infections: meta-analysis of randomised controlled trialsLiang Beibei
Department of Clinical Pharmacology, General Hospital of Chinese People s Liberation Army, 28 Fuxing Road, Beijing, PR China
Int J Antimicrob Agents 35:3-12. 2010..There is superior clinical and microbiological outcome with linezolid in complicated skin and soft-tissue infections caused by Staphylococcus aureus...
- Early microbiological response to linezolid vs vancomycin in ventilator-associated pneumonia due to methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureusRichard G Wunderink
Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
Chest 134:1200-7. 2008..This prospective, open-label, multicenter clinical trial compared the early microbiological efficacy of linezolid (LZD) therapy with that of vancomycin (VAN) therapy in patients with MRSA VAP...
- Activity of oxazolidinone TR-700 against linezolid-susceptible and -resistant staphylococci and enterococciDavid M Livermore
Antibiotic Resistance Monitoring and Reference Laboratory, Health Protection Agency Centre for Infections, 61 Colindale Avenue, London NW95EQ, UK
J Antimicrob Chemother 63:713-5. 2009..TR-700 is the active moiety of TR-701 (DA-7157), a new oral/intravenous oxazolidinone prodrug. We examined its activity against linezolid-susceptible and -resistant staphylococci and enterococci...
- Efficacy of DA-7218, a new oxazolidinone prodrug, in the treatment of experimental actinomycetoma produced by Nocardia brasiliensisNelly Alejandra Espinoza-González
Servicio de Dermatologia, Hospital Universitario Dr Jose E Gonzalez, Ave Madero y Gonzalitos S N Col Mitras Centro Monterrey, N L Mexico
Molecules 13:31-40. 2008Two recently synthesized oxazolidinones: (R)-3-(4-(2-(2-methyltetrazol-5-yl)-pyridin-5-yl)-3-fluorophenyl)-5-hydroxymethyloxazolidin-2-one (DA-7157) and its corresponding pro-drug (R)-3-(4-(2-(2-methyltetrazol-5-yl)-pyridin-5-yl)-3-..
- Spread of ampicillin/vancomycin-resistant Enterococcus faecium of the epidemic-virulent clonal complex-17 carrying the genes esp and hyl in German hospitalsI Klare
Robert Koch Institute, Wernigerode Branch, Burgstr 37, 38855, Wernigerode, Germany
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 24:815-25. 2005..In conclusion, it is very important to monitor the occurrence of epidemic-virulent clonal complex-17 strains of E. faecium to prevent their spread in hospitals, especially if they are resistant to glycopeptides and linezolid...
- An outbreak of colonization with linezolid-resistant Staphylococcus epidermidis in an intensive therapy unitSinead Kelly
Department of Clinical Microbiology, The Adelaide and Meath Hospital incorporating the National Children s Hospital, Tallaght, Dublin 24, Ireland
J Antimicrob Chemother 61:901-7. 2008..To report an outbreak of colonization with linezolid-resistant Staphylococcus epidermidis in an intensive therapy unit (ITU)...
- Antimicrobial resistance to linezolidVenkata G Meka
Division of Infectious Diseases, Department of Medicine, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Clin Infect Dis 39:1010-5. 2004....
- Intracellular accumulation of linezolid in Escherichia coli, Citrobacter freundii and Enterobacter aerogenes: role of enhanced efflux pump activity and inactivationAnja Schumacher
Center for Infectious Diseases and Travel Medicine, University Hospital Hugstetter Strasse 55, Freiburg, Germany
J Antimicrob Chemother 59:1261-4. 2007..We hypothesized that the poor activity of linezolid in Gram-negative bacteria is in part caused by relatively low intracellular concentration due to efflux...
- Pharmacokinetic studies of linezolid and teicoplanin in the critically illTony Whitehouse
Bloomsbury Institute of Intensive Care Medicine, Department of Medicine, University College London, London, UK
J Antimicrob Chemother 55:333-40. 2005..To determine the pharmacokinetic characteristics of linezolid and teicoplanin in critically ill patients...
- United States resistance surveillance results for linezolid (LEADER Program for 2007)Ronald N Jones
JMI Laboratories, North Liberty, IA 52317, USA Tufts University School of Medicine, Boston, MA 02111, USA
Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 62:416-26. 2008..aureus and Staphylococcus epidermidis strains from Arizona and Ohio. The LEADER Program appears to be an effective and sensitive surveillance tool to detect novel resistance phenotypes and genotypes...
- Linezolid versus glycopeptide or beta-lactam for treatment of Gram-positive bacterial infections: meta-analysis of randomised controlled trialsMatthew E Falagas
Alfa Institute of Biomedical Sciences, Athens, Greece
Lancet Infect Dis 8:53-66. 2008....
- Linezolid in methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus nosocomial pneumonia: a randomized, controlled studyRichard G Wunderink
Department of Pulmonary and Critical Care, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, Illinois 60611, USA
Clin Infect Dis 54:621-9. 2012..This study prospectively assessed efficacy and safety of linezolid, compared with a dose-optimized vancomycin regimen, for treatment of MRSA nosocomial pneumonia...
- Multicity outbreak of linezolid-resistant Staphylococcus epidermidis associated with clonal spread of a cfr-containing strainHector Bonilla
Summa Health System, Akron, Ohio, USA
Clin Infect Dis 51:796-800. 2010..Two clones with different mechanisms of linezolid resistance were circulating in hospital A. One of these contained the cfr gene, and the other a ribosomal mutation. The clone containing cfr was identical in both hospitals...
- Pharmacokinetics of linezolid in subjects with renal dysfunctionMichael E Brier
University of Louisville, Department of Veterans Affairs, Louisville, Kentucky 40202, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 47:2775-80. 2003Linezolid is a member of a new, unique class of synthetic antibacterial agents called oxazolidinones that are effective against gram-positive bacteria, including vancomycin-resistant organisms...
- Design of the DEFINE trial: determining the EFficacy and tolerability of CETP INhibition with AnacEtrapibChristopher P Cannon
TIMI Study Group, Cardiovascular Division, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Am Heart J 158:513-519.e3. 2009..Adverse effects on blood pressure, electrolytes, and aldosterone levels, seen with another drug in this class, have not been noted in studies of anacetrapib to date...
- Linezolid: the first oxazolidinone antimicrobialRobert C Moellering
Department of Medicine, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston, Massachusetts 02215, USA
Ann Intern Med 138:135-42. 2003Linezolid is the first of a new class of antimicrobial agents, the oxazolidinones, to be approved for clinical use in the United States and elsewhere...
- Linezolid versus ceftriaxone/cefpodoxime in patients hospitalized for the treatment of Streptococcus pneumoniae pneumoniaGerry S San Pedro
Department of Internal Medicine, Section of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Louisiana State University Medical Center, Shreveport 71130 3932, USA
Scand J Infect Dis 34:720-8. 2002..v./oral linezolid was more effective than ceftriaxone/cefpodoxime in patients hospitalized with CAP, with comparable cure rates in S. pneumoniae pneumonia and higher cure rates in pneumonia complicated by bacteremia...
- Efficacy and safety of linezolid compared with vancomycin in a randomized, double-blind study of febrile neutropenic patients with cancerBranimir Jaksic
Department of Medicine, Merkur University Hospital, Zagreb, Croatia
Clin Infect Dis 42:597-607. 2006..Gram-positive pathogens can cause serious infections in neutropenic patients with cancer, and vancomycin therapy is often initiated empirically. Linezolid may offer an option for these patients...
- Efficacy and safety of tigecycline compared with vancomycin or linezolid for treatment of serious infections with methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus or vancomycin-resistant enterococci: a Phase 3, multicentre, double-blind, randomized studyI Florescu
Emergency Clinical Hospital, Bucharest, Romania
J Antimicrob Chemother 62:i17-28. 2008..Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) and vancomycin-resistant enterococci (VRE) are causing serious nosocomial infections. Tigecycline was evaluated in hospitalized patients with MRSA or VRE infection...
- The herbicide ketoclomazone inhibits 1-deoxy-D-xylulose 5-phosphate synthase in the 2-C-methyl-D-erythritol 4-phosphate pathway and shows antibacterial activity against Haemophilus influenzaeYukiko Matsue
Biotechnology Research Center, The University of Tokyo, 1 1 1 Yayoi, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo, Japan
J Antibiot (Tokyo) 63:583-8. 2010..These data reveal the inhibitory mechanism of ketoclomazone on DXP synthase...
- In vitro activity of linezolid in combination with doxycycline, fosfomycin, levofloxacin, rifampicin and vancomycin against methicillin-susceptible Staphylococcus aureusJ M Sahuquillo Arce
Department of Clinical Microbiology, Hospital La Fe, Avda Campanar 21, 46009 Valencia, Spain
Rev Esp Quimioter 19:252-7. 2006..In summary, the combination of subinhibitory...
- Nosocomial outbreak of linezolid-resistant Enterococcus faecalis infection in a tertiary care hospitalRosa Gómez-Gil
Servicio de Microbiología y Parasitología and Unidad de Investigación, Hospital Universitario La Paz, 28046 Madrid, Spain
Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 65:175-9. 2009....
- Linezolid versus vancomycin or teicoplanin for nosocomial pneumonia: a systematic review and meta-analysisAndre C Kalil
University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE, USA
Crit Care Med 38:1802-8. 2010..However, clinical superiority has not been demonstrated...
- Structure-activity relationships of diverse oxazolidinones for linezolid-resistant Staphylococcus aureus strains possessing the cfr methyltransferase gene or ribosomal mutationsJeffrey B Locke
Trius Therapeutics, Inc, 6310 Nancy Ridge Drive, Suite 101, San Diego, CA 92121, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 54:5337-43. 2010..activity against LZD-resistant (LZD(r)) strains, we compared structurally diverse, clinically relevant oxazolidinones, including LZD, radezolid (RX-1741), TR-700 (torezolid), and a set of TR-700 analogs (including novel CD-rings ..
- Linezolid-associated peripheral and optic neuropathy, lactic acidosis, and serotonin syndromeMasashi Narita
Infectious Disease Section, University of Pittsburgh, Veterans Affairs Pittsburgh Healthcare System, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15240, USA
Pharmacotherapy 27:1189-97. 2007..Linezolid should be discontinued immediately in patients experiencing these adverse effects. Patients receiving linezolid for more than 28 days should be monitored for signs of peripheral and optic neuropathy...
- Zolmitriptan: a review of its use in migraineC M Spencer
Adis International Limited, Auckland, New Zealand
Drugs 58:347-74. 1999..The most common adverse events with zolmitriptan therapy are asthenia, heaviness other than that of the chest or neck, dry mouth, nausea, dizziness, somnolence, paraesthesia, warm sensation, tightness, vasodilation and chest pain...
- Pharmacokinetics and tissue penetration of linezolid following multiple oral dosesT Gee
Department of Microbiology, City Hospital NHS Trust, Birmingham, B18 7QH, United Kingdom
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 45:1843-6. 2001..3 (SD, 73.1) and 155.3 (SD, 80.1) microg x h/ml, respectively. These data suggest that linezolid has good tissue penetration, and we can predict that it will be successful in the treatment of a variety of gram-positive infections...
- Linezolid and vancomycin in treatment of lower-extremity complicated skin and skin structure infections caused by methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in patients with and without vascular diseaseTherese M Duane
Department of Surgery, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, Virginia, USA
Surg Infect (Larchmt) 13:147-53. 2012....
- Biochemical characterization of cholesteryl ester transfer protein inhibitorsMollie Ranalletta
Merck Research Laboratories, Rahway, NJ 07065, USA
J Lipid Res 51:2739-52. 2010..Each CETP inhibitor induced tight binding of CETP to HDL, indicating that these inhibitors promote the formation of a complex between CETP and HDL, resulting in inhibition of CETP activity...
- Effect of linezolid on cytokine production capacity and plasma endotoxin levels in response to lipopolysaccharide stimulation of whole bloodGaku Takahashi
Department of Critical Care Medicine, Iwate Medical University, School of Medicine, 19 1 Uchimaru, Morioka, 020 8505, Japan
J Infect Chemother 16:94-9. 2010..The results indicate that LZD may have a significant role in saving the lives of patients with sepsis...
- Effect of linezolid versus vancomycin on length of hospital stay in patients with complicated skin and soft tissue infections caused by known or suspected methicillin-resistant staphylococci: results from a randomized clinical trialJim Zhiming Li
Pharmacia Corporation, Kalamazoo, Michigan 49001, USA
Surg Infect (Larchmt) 4:57-70. 2003..To determine if oral linezolid can reduce length of hospital stay (LOS) when compared to vancomycin, we compared the LOS for the 230 complicated skin and soft tissue infection patients enrolled in this trial...
- Targeting a novel regulatory RNA with novel antibioticsJennifer V Hines; Fiscal Year: 2010..Our hypothesis is that the proposed new classes of oxazolidinones and related compounds can be developed into novel antibacterial agents and that the T box antitermination ..
- Effecting C-O activation of oxazolidinones by Ni to construct small, chiral heterMATTHEW STEVEN WINSTON; Fiscal Year: 2012DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Given their wide availability, chiral oxazolidinones are potentially useful but ignored substrates for catalysis...
- Hygromycin A: Activity, Biosynthesis, Export, Resistance and RegulationKevin A Reynolds; Fiscal Year: 2013..macrolides (azithromycin, telithromycin), tetracyclines, aminoglycosides (gentamycin), and more recently oxazolidinones (linezolid) target the bacterial ribosome, which is essential for intracellular protein synthesis...
- ANTIBIOTIC INHIBITION OF BACTERIAL RIBOSOME FORMATIONWILLIAM CHAMPNEY; Fiscal Year: 2002..observation that macrolide antibiotics as well as the ketolides, lincosamides, streptogramin B compounds and oxazolidinones can all inhibit the assembly of the large ribosomal subunit in bacterial cells...
- ASYMMETRIC SYNTHESIS OF ANTITUMOR AGENTSMICHAEL CRIMMINS; Fiscal Year: 2005..Laulimalide stimulates tubulin polymerization more effectively than paclitaxel. Laulimalide is a representative of a new class of microtubule stabilizing agents with promise for therapeutic potential. ..
- Micromass LCT Mass SpectrometerMICHAEL CRIMMINS; Fiscal Year: 2004..The major users group is highly dependent on rapid turn around mass spectral data. Since there is currently no Departmental mass spectrometry facility, the research programs of the major users have been seriously hampered for some time. ..
- ASYMMETRIC SYNTHESIS OF NOVEL NATURAL PRODUCTSMICHAEL CRIMMINS; Fiscal Year: 2006..Synthesis of the biologically active agents guanacastepene, and SCH 351448 will also be pursued. ..
- Chemical and Biological Studies on Biaryl PhenolicsKen Feldman; Fiscal Year: 2005..The search for selective 20S proteosome inhibitors among the Ntn-type proteases will be advanced by these investigations. ..
- Alkynyliodonium Salts and Derived Diyls in SynthesisKen Feldman; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- Synthesis of Macrolides, Steroids, Cyclopentanoids, etc.BARRY TROST; Fiscal Year: 2009..These new synthetic methods apply to many structural types beyond those illustrated and constitutes a significant to gain access to complex molecular targets more easily. ..
- Detection of Biofilm Bacteria using GloBacRobin Patel; Fiscal Year: 2008..The goal of the proposed studies is to develop a rapid test for detection of bacteria on artificial joints that can be used in the operating room to diagnose infected artificial joints. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Enhancement of antimicrobics by electrical currentRobin Patel; Fiscal Year: 2007..This novel but simple resistance reversing strategy may generalize to a wide variety of antimicrobics and microorganisms and a wide variety of biofilm-associated human infections. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- New Methodology for Indole Alkaloid SynthesesKen S Feldman; Fiscal Year: 2010..The use of a new variant of the Pummerer reaction to control both oxidation level and reaction site within the indole nucleus forms the basis of this chemistry. ..
- HUMAN RETROVIRUS-5 AND ARTHRITISRobin Patel; Fiscal Year: 2002..Identification of a specific infectious agent associated with these arthritides would potentially allo for the development of preventive strategies such as vaccination and novel therapeutic approaches. ..
- SK Channel Openers as Therapeutics for Cerebellar AtaxiaHeike Wulff; Fiscal Year: 2007..Taken together these important proof-of-concept studies will help to determine whether SK channel openers constitute a new therapeutic approach to improve motor performance in dominant cerebellar ataxias. ..
- Migraine Pathophysiology:Thalamus and Extended AllodyniaRami Burstein; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- Asymmetric Synthesis of Amino Acids and Amino Phosphonic AcidsFRANKLIN DAVIS; Fiscal Year: 2007..The photodesulfmylation of sulfinamides represents an important new protocol, not requiring acids or bases, for the removal of the valuable amine N-sulfinyl protecting group. ..
- Evolutionary Dissection of complex traitsStephen Wooding; Fiscal Year: 2008..By applying a combined evolutionary and epidemiological approach, these analyses may shed new light on the relationship between genetic variation, environmental response, and human health. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Synthesis of Polyketides and TerpenesDavid A Evans; Fiscal Year: 2010..As a consequence, organic synthesis is a critical discipline that continues to have an important impact on the fields of both medicine and biology. ..
- CHEMICAL SYNTHESIS OF NOVEL NATURAL PRODUCTSDavid Williams; Fiscal Year: 2009..Daphnicyclidin A. This recent discovery has revealed a new molecular architecture which exhibits significant antitumor activity. Our research will investigate strategies for chemical synthesis of these complex polycyclic systems. ..
- New mechanism of resistance to oxazolidinone antibiotics in Staphylococcus aureusAlexander S Mankin; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Molecular Target Focused Discovery of Anticancer DrugsGeorge R Pettit; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- DESIGN AND SYNTHESIS OF NONPEPTIDE PROTEASE INHIBITORSArun K Ghosh; Fiscal Year: 2010..This research integrates organic synthesis, protein-ligand x-ray crystallography, molecular modeling and in-depth virus and cell-biological studies to design the next generation of HIV-1 protease inhibitors. ..
- Reducing Antimicrobial Use Associated with Ventilator Associated Pneumonia and CaSARA ELIZABETH COSGROVE; Fiscal Year: 2010..We hypothesize that this approach will enhance appropriate use of antimicrobials for both VAP and CAUTI and improve patient outcomes by reducing the known sequelae of antimicrobial overuse. ..
- Legionella pneumophila developmental cycle & virulencePAUL STOKES HOFFMAN; Fiscal Year: 2011..These studies should also provide insights relevant to other opportunistic environmental pathogens including oxiella, Burkholderia and species of Mycobacterium. ..
- Catheter Dwell Time and Risk of Bloodstream Infections in Hospitalized NeonatesAaron M Milstone; Fiscal Year: 2011..This project will help to develop evidence-based strategies to prevent bloodstream infections among vulnerable infants hospitalized in the neonatal intensive care unit. ..
- Defining Moxifloxacin as a First-line TB DrugEric Nuermberger; Fiscal Year: 2008..Relevance: Results of these studies will help to define optimal treatment regimens for TB that can be used to design new clinical trials or, in some cases, directly applied to clinical practice. ..
- PSYCHOMOTOR STIMULANTS AND AGGRESSION IN ANIMALSKLAUS MICZEK; Fiscal Year: 2008..Reversal of cross-sensitization from stress may be a means by which to prevent the transition to out-of-control compulsive-like drug taking. ..
- Study of a New Class of Chiral Nucleophilic CatalystsVLADIMIR BIRMAN; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Antibiotic Hypersusceptibility Mutations in BacteriaAlexander Mankin; Fiscal Year: 2005..In addition to identifying promising targets for potentiators, the project will help unravel new aspects of the mechanism of action of antibiotics and new features of bacterial physiology. ..
- NEUROBIOLOGY OF ANOREXIA INDUCED BY MIGRAINE PAINRami Burstein; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- ALCOHOL BENZODIAZEPHINES AND AGGRESSION IN ANIMALSKLAUS MICZEK; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- COMPARATIVE GENOMIC ANALYSIS OF CARDIOVASCULAR GENE REGURonald Krauss; Fiscal Year: 2003..6) The establishment of an educational program for cardiovascular researchers in the use of genomic databases and tools. ..
- RIBOSOMAL PEPTIDYL TRANSFERASE CENTERAlexander Mankin; Fiscal Year: 2003..Understanding structure and function of the main catalytic center of the ribosome is indispensable for the rational design of new antibiotics and overcoming mechanisms of drug resistance. ..
- SYNTHESIS OF BIOACTIVE MACROLIDESJames White; Fiscal Year: 2002..These pathways, regardless of whether they are successful, must also serve as paradigms for accessing other potentially useful chemotherapeutic agents of equal or greater complexity. ..
- ASYMMETRIC SYNTHESIS OF VANCOMYCIN ANTIBIOTICSDavid Evans; Fiscal Year: 2001..During the course of this project we intend to confirm (correct) the absolute stereochemical assignments of the principal members of this family by total synthesis. ..
- Chemokines and microglia in Alzheimer's diseaseJoseph El Khoury; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Syntheses of Amino Acids and Amino Phosphonic AcidsFRANKLIN DAVIS; Fiscal Year: 2005..Targets include cyclic, unsaturated, and, beta substituted derivatives (beta amino, beta hydroxy, and beta fluoro). ..
- Transmission Dynamics of Antimocrobial-resistant bacteria in dialysis unitsERIKA D AGATA; Fiscal Year: 2007..Limiting ARB spread will ultimately reduce infections caused by ARB and improve CHD patient outcomes. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Molecular Target Focused Discovery of Anticancer DrugsGEORGE PETTIT; Fiscal Year: 2007..In summary, the proposed research will be sharply aimed at the discovery and very rapid development of new anticancer drugs for the NCI programs direct at improving human cancer treatments. ..
- Small Molecule Kv1.3 Blockers as New Therapeutics for Multiple SclerosisHeike Wulff; Fiscal Year: 2007..Lay: In multiple sclerosis the immune system attacks proteins in the brain of afflicted patients. The aim of this study is to identify and test new drugs that can suppress the white blood cells that are invading the brain. ..
- INTERESTING BIOACTIVE SUBSTANCESDavid Williams; Fiscal Year: 2006..The selective synthesis of contiguous stereotriads will advance basic methodology for asymmetric conjugate additions. ..
- SYNTHESIS OF BIOACTIVE ALKALOIDSJames White; Fiscal Year: 2006..A plan is presented for the synthesis of this complex heptacyclic molecule which envisions a thio-Claisen rearrangement as the key step for building the vicinal quaternary carbons of this structure. ..
- ASYMMETRIC SYNTHESIS OF BIOACTIVE PRIMARY AMINESFRANKLIN DAVIS; Fiscal Year: 2006....
- Asymmetric Synthesis of Bioactive Chiral AminesGREGORY FRIESTAD; Fiscal Year: 2006..In the long term, these endeavors will advance the art and science of synthetic organic chemistry toward the ideal of efficiency, a long-term goal which remains mostly inaccessible in syntheses of complex natural products. ..
- ASYMMETRIC SYNTHESIS OF IONOPHORE/MACROLIDE ANTIBIOTICSDavid Evans; Fiscal Year: 2005..Our goal has been to set in place all of the reactions necessary for the rapid assemblage of any polyketide target structure. ..
- ACYCLIC STEREOCONTROL IN RADICAL REACTIONSMUKUND SIBI; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- DEVELOPMENT OF LIGAND ASSISTED ASYMMETRIC SYNTHESESArun Ghosh; Fiscal Year: 2001..Besides the broad range of scope and generality, this line of research will provide excellent opportunities to teach and train graduate and undergraduate students in the laboratory. ..