Genomes and Genes
Summary: A poisonous dipyridilium compound used as contact herbicide. Contact with concentrated solutions causes irritation of the skin, cracking and shedding of the nails, and delayed healing of cuts and wounds.
Publications362 found, 100 shown here
- SKN-1 links C. elegans mesendodermal specification to a conserved oxidative stress responseJae Hyung An
Center for Blood Research and Department of Pathology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Genes Dev 17:1882-93. 2003..This oxidative stress response thus appears to be both widely conserved and ancient, suggesting that the mesendodermal specification role of SKN-1 was predated by its function in these detoxification mechanisms...
- Rotenone, paraquat, and Parkinson's diseaseCaroline M Tanner
The Parkinson s Institute, Sunnyvale, California 94085, USA
Environ Health Perspect 119:866-72. 2011..Certain pesticides may affect these mechanisms, but no pesticide has been definitively associated with PD in humans...
- A mitochondrial superoxide signal triggers increased longevity in Caenorhabditis elegansWen Yang
Department of Biology, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
PLoS Biol 8:e1000556. 2010..as it is abolished by the antioxidants NAC and vitamin C, and phenocopied by mild treatment with the prooxidant paraquat. Furthermore, the absence of effect of NAC and the additivity of the effect of paraquat on a variety of long- and ..
- Inhibition of paraquat-induced autophagy accelerates the apoptotic cell death in neuroblastoma SH-SY5Y cellsRosa A Gonzalez-Polo
CIBER de Enfermedades Neurodegenerativas, Departamento de Bioquimica y Biologia Molecular y Genetica, EU Enfermería y TO, Universidad de Extremadura, Avda Universidad s n 10071 Cáceres, Spain
Toxicol Sci 97:448-58. 2007..In this sense, paraquat (PQ) (1,1'-dimethyl-4,4'-bipyridinium dichloride), a widely used herbicide that is structurally similar to the ..
- Paraquat, but not maneb, induces synucleinopathy and tauopathy in striata of mice through inhibition of proteasomal and autophagic pathwaysJonathan Wills
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular and Cell Biology, Georgetown University Medical Center, Washington DC, United States of America
PLoS ONE 7:e30745. 2012..The agrichemicals maneb and paraquat selectively target dopaminergic neurons, leading to parkinsonism, through ill-defined mechanisms...
- Genome-wide transcriptional profiling of the Escherichia coli responses to superoxide stress and sodium salicylateP J Pomposiello
Department of Cancer Cell Biology, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
J Bacteriol 183:3890-902. 2001..coli response to the superoxide-generating agent paraquat (PQ), an inducer of the soxRS system, and to the weak acid salt sodium salicylate (NaSal), an inducer of the ..
- Interferon-γ plays a role in paraquat-induced neurodegeneration involving oxidative and proinflammatory pathwaysEmily N Mangano
Institute of Neuroscience, Carleton University, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Neurobiol Aging 33:1411-26. 2012..protected substantia nigra pars compacta (SNc) dopamine (DA) neurons from the toxic effects of the pesticide, paraquat, and normalized changes in inflammatory and oxidative factors within this brain region...
- Increased expression of SVCT2 in a new mouse model raises ascorbic acid in tissues and protects against paraquat-induced oxidative damage in lungFiona Edith Harrison
Division of Diabetes, Endocrinology, and Metabolism, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, Tennessee, United States of America
PLoS ONE 7:e35623. 2012..Six treatments with Paraquat (3x10 and 3x15 mg/kg i.p.) were used to induce oxidative stress in mice...
- Paraquat induces oxidative stress, neuronal loss in substantia nigra region and parkinsonism in adult rats: neuroprotection and amelioration of symptoms by water-soluble formulation of coenzyme Q10Mallika Somayajulu-Nitu
Chemistry and Biochemistry, University of Windsor, Windsor, ON, Canada
BMC Neurosci 10:88. 2009....
- Lysosomal degradation of alpha-synuclein in vivoSally K Mak
The Parkinson s Institute, Sunnyvale, California 94085, USA
J Biol Chem 285:13621-9. 2010..e. treatment of mice with the herbicide paraquat) or transgenic protein overexpression, the intralysosomal content of alpha-synuclein was also significantly ..
- Mitochondria are a major source of paraquat-induced reactive oxygen species production in the brainPablo R Castello
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Colorado at Denver and Health Sciences Center, Denver, CO 80262, USA
J Biol Chem 282:14186-93. 2007b>Paraquat (PQ(2+)) is a prototypic toxin known to exert injurious effects through oxidative stress and bears a structural similarity to the Parkinson disease toxicant, 1-methyl-4-pheynlpyridinium...
- Genome wide analysis of common and specific stress responses in adult drosophila melanogasterFabrice Girardot
Institut Jacques Monod, 2 place Jussieu, 75251 Paris, France
BMC Genomics 5:74. 2004..In addition, the functional significance of observed transcriptional changes is still elusive...
- OxyR and SoxRS regulation of furM Zheng
Cell Biology and Metabolism Branch, National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
J Bacteriol 181:4639-43. 1999..In cells treated with the superoxide-generating compound paraquat, we observed the induction of a longer transcript encompassing both fur and its immediate upstream gene fldA, ..
- Environmental toxins and Parkinson's disease: what have we learned from pesticide-induced animal models?Francesca Cicchetti
Centre de Recherche du CHUL CHUQ, Axe Neuroscience, RC 9800, Quebec G1V 4G2, Canada
Trends Pharmacol Sci 30:475-83. 2009..Here, we review recent advances in the predominant models employing the insecticide Rotenone, the herbicide Paraquat and the fungicide Maneb, discuss their scientific merit and evaluate their relevance in the study of PD ..
- Paraquat-induced oxidative stress in drosophila melanogaster: effects of melatonin, glutathione, serotonin, minocycline, lipoic acid and ascorbic acidErnesto Bonilla
Neurochemistry Section, Instituto de Investigaciones Clinicas Dr Americo Negrette, Universidad del Zulia, Apartado 23, Maracaibo, Venezuela
Neurochem Res 31:1425-32. 2006..of melatonin, glutathione, serotonin, minocycline, lipoic acid and ascorbic acid in counteracting the toxicity of paraquat in Drosophila melanogaster was examined...
- Paraquat poisonings: mechanisms of lung toxicity, clinical features, and treatmentR J Dinis-Oliveira
REQUIMTE, Departamento de Toxicologia, Faculdade de Farmacia, Universidade do Porto, Porto, Portugal
Crit Rev Toxicol 38:13-71. 2008b>Paraquat dichloride (methyl viologen; PQ) is an effective and widely used herbicide that has a proven safety record when appropriately applied to eliminate weeds...
- Paraquat-induced retinal degeneration is exaggerated in CX3CR1-deficient mice and is associated with increased retinal inflammationMei Chen
Centre for Vision and Vascular Science, School of Medicine, Dentistry and Biomedical Sciences, Queen s University Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 54:682-90. 2013..To investigate the role of the Fractalkine receptor CX3CR1 pathway in oxidative insults-mediated retinal degeneration and immune activation...
- Failure of continuous venovenous hemofiltration to prevent death in paraquat poisoningJa Ryong Koo
Division of Nephrology, College of Medicine, Hallym University, Chunchon, Kangwon Do, Seoul, Korea
Am J Kidney Dis 39:55-9. 2002b>Paraquat poisoning is characterized by multiorgan failure and pulmonary fibrosis with respiratory failure. Multiorgan failure with circulatory collapse is a major cause of early death within 3 days of paraquat ingestion...
- Improved survival in severe paraquat poisoning with repeated pulse therapy of cyclophosphamide and steroidsJa Liang Lin
Department of Nephrology, Division of Clinical Toxicology, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, 199, Tung Hwa North Road, Taipei, Taiwan, ROC
Intensive Care Med 37:1006-13. 2011To clarify the efficacy of repeated methylprednisolone (MP) and cyclophosphamide (CP) pulse therapy and daily dexamethasone (DEX) therapy in patients with severe paraquat (PQ) poisoning.
- Inflammatory priming of the substantia nigra influences the impact of later paraquat exposure: Neuroimmune sensitization of neurodegenerationEmily N Mangano
Institute of Neuroscience, Carleton University, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Neurobiol Aging 30:1361-78. 2009..with the inflammatory agent, lipopolysaccharide (LPS), influenced the impact of later exposure to the pesticide, paraquat, which has been reported to provoke DA loss...
- Comparison of the effects of the superoxide dismutase mimetics EUK-134 and tempol on paraquat-induced nephrotoxicityMohamed Samai
Department of Pharmacology and Therapeutics, University of Brighton, Brighton BN2 4GJ, East Sussex, UK
Free Radic Biol Med 43:528-34. 2007b>Paraquat-induced nephrotoxicity involves severe renal cell damage caused by reactive oxygen species (ROS), specifically via increasing concentrations of superoxide anions in the kidney...
- Mitochondrial electron transport is a key determinant of life span in Caenorhabditis elegansJ Feng
Department of Biology, McGill University, 1205 Avenue Dr Penfield, H3A 1B1, , , Canada
Dev Cell 1:633-44. 2001..These findings indicate that both isp-1 and daf-2 mutations increase life span by lowering oxidative stress and result in the maximum life span increase that can be produced in this way...
- Mitochondrial complex I inhibition is not required for dopaminergic neuron death induced by rotenone, MPP+, or paraquatWon Seok Choi
Toxicology Program, Department of Environmental and Occupational Health Sciences, Graduate Program in Neurobiology and Behavior, Institute for Stem Cell and Regenerative Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195 7234, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 105:15136-41. 2008..neurons were more sensitive than other neurons in these cultures to cell death induced by rotenone, MPP(+), or paraquat treatments, the absence of complex I activity did not protect the dopaminergic neurons, as would be expected if ..
- Parkinson's disease and residential exposure to maneb and paraquat from agricultural applications in the central valley of CaliforniaSadie Costello
Department of Environmental Health Sciences, University of California, Berkeley, 94720 7360, USA
Am J Epidemiol 169:919-26. 2009..They generated estimates for maneb and paraquat exposures incurred between 1974 and 1999...
- Repeated pulse of methylprednisolone and cyclophosphamide with continuous dexamethasone therapy for patients with severe paraquat poisoningJa Liang Lin
Division of Clinical Toxicology and Nephrology, Department of Medicine, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Lin Kou Medical Center, Chang Gung University, School of Medicine, Taipei, Taiwan, ROC
Crit Care Med 34:368-73. 2006b>Paraquat is widely used in the world, and all treatments for paraquat poisoning have been unsuccessful. Many patients have died of paraquat poisoning in developing countries...
- Null mutation of copper/zinc superoxide dismutase in Drosophila confers hypersensitivity to paraquat and reduced longevityJ P Phillips
Department of Molecular Biology and Genetics, University of Guelph, ON, Canada
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 86:2761-5. 1989..cSODn108 confers recessive sensitivity to the superoxide anion (O2-)-generator paraquat and to the transition metal compound CuSO4, which indicates that the cSOD-null condition in fact leads to ..
- JNK3 mediates paraquat- and rotenone-induced dopaminergic neuron deathWon Seok Choi
Toxicology Program in the Department of Environmental and Occupational Health Sciences, Graduate Program in Neurobiology and Behavior, Institute for Stem Cell and Regenerative Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington, USA
J Neuropathol Exp Neurol 69:511-20. 2010..3 (JNK3), a neural-specific JNK isoform, in dopaminergic neuron death induced by the pesticides rotenone and paraquat. The role of JNK3 was evaluated using RNA silencing and gene deletion to block JNK3 signaling...
- Nitric oxide in paraquat-mediated toxicity: A reviewJose M Moran
Centro de Investigación Biomédica en Red de Enfermedades Neurodegenerativas CIBERNED, Departamento de Bioquímica y Biología Moleculary Genética, EU Enfermería y TO, Universidad de Extremadura, Avda Universidad s n 10071 Cáceres, Spain
J Biochem Mol Toxicol 24:402-9. 2010b>Paraquat, a cationic herbicide, produces degenerative lesions in the lung and in the nervous system after systemic administration to man and animals. Many cases of acute poisoning and death have been reported over the past few decades...
- Plasma surfactant D in patients following acute paraquat intoxicationHyo Wook Gil
Department of Internal Medicine, Soonchunhyang, University Cheonan Hospital, Cheonan, Republic of Korea
Clin Toxicol (Phila) 45:463-7. 2007Free radical-induced lung injury is a major problem that occurs because of paraquat intoxication. Serum surfactant protein D (SP-D) reflects the severity of various lung diseases...
- Small heat shock proteins, IbpA and IbpB, are involved in resistances to heat and superoxide stresses in Escherichia coliM Kitagawa
Department of Biotechnology and High Technology Research Center, Kansai University, Yamate cho 3 3 35, Suita, Osaka, Japan
FEMS Microbiol Lett 184:165-71. 2000..The heat sensitivity of a rpoH amber mutant was partially suppressed by the overexpression of plac::ibpAB. These results suggest that IbpA and IbpB may be involved in the resistances to heat and oxidative stress...
- Studies on the glutathione S-transferase proteome of adult Drosophila melanogaster: responsiveness to chemical challengeZazali Alias
School of Biological Sciences, Victoria University of Wellington, Wellington, New Zealand
Proteomics 7:3618-28. 2007..DmGSTD2 was detected only after pretreatment of the flies with Phenobarbital (PhB). Treatment with Paraquat (PQ) led to an increase in the total GST activity, as measured with the substrates 1-chloro-2,4-dinitrobenzene (..
- Paraquat poisoningChanchai Sittipunt
Department of Internal Medicine, Chulalongkorn University School of Medicine, Bangkok, Thailand
Respir Care 50:383-5. 2005
- Sequential organ failure assessment score can predict mortality in patients with paraquat intoxicationCheng Hao Weng
Department of Nephrology, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Linkou Medical Center, Taipei, Taiwan
PLoS ONE 7:e51743. 2012b>Paraquat poisoning is characterized by multi-organ failure and pulmonary fibrosis with respiratory failure, resulting in high mortality and morbidity...
- Low doses of paraquat and polyphenols prolong life span and locomotor activity in knock-down parkin Drosophila melanogaster exposed to oxidative stress stimuli: implication in autosomal recessive juvenile parkinsonismLeonardo Bonilla-Ramirez
School of Medicine, Medical Research Institute, Neuroscience Research Group, University of Antioquia UdeA, Medellin, Colombia
Gene 512:355-63. 2013..potent neuroprotective agents in Drosophila melanogaster wild type Canton-S acutely or chronically treated with paraquat (PQ), a selective toxin for elimination of dopaminergic (DAergic) neurons by oxidative stress (OS), as model of ..
- Traumatic brain injury, paraquat exposure, and their relationship to Parkinson diseasePei Chen Lee
Department of Epidemiology, Fielding School of Public Health, University of California at Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Neurology 79:2061-6. 2012..A recent animal study suggested that the combination of TBI with subthreshold paraquat exposure increases dopaminergic neurodegeneration...
- Alterations in bioenergetic function induced by Parkinson's disease mimetic compounds: lack of correlation with superoxide generationBrian P Dranka
Department of Biophysics and Free Radical Research Center, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI, USA
J Neurochem 122:941-51. 2012..inhibitor, or 6-hydroxydopamine (6-OHDA) as a mechanistically distinct PD neurotoxicant, but not with exposure to paraquat. In addition, the extracellular acidification rate, used as a marker of glycolysis, was stimulated to compensate ..
- Spectrum of toxic hepatitis following intentional paraquat ingestion: analysis of 187 casesChin Jung Yang
Department of Nephrology and Division of Clinical Toxicology, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
Liver Int 32:1400-6. 2012..study examined the clinical features, the degrees of toxic hepatitis, physiological markers and clinical outcomes after intentional paraquat poisoning and sought to determine what association, if any, might exist between these findings.
- Effects of paraquat and capsaicin on the expression of genes related to inflammatory, immune responses and cell death in immortalized human HaCat keratinocytesN Paolillo
IRCCS C Mondino Institute of Neurology Foundation, Pavia
Int J Immunopathol Pharmacol 24:861-8. 2011..experiments were aimed to characterize in immortalized human HaCat keratinocytes the gene expression induced by paraquat and capsaicin, two agents known to induce cell death or to affect inflammatory and pain pathways, respectively...
- Loss of AtPDR11, a plasma membrane-localized ABC transporter, confers paraquat tolerance in Arabidopsis thalianaJing Xi
School of Life Sciences, University of Science and Technology of China, Hefei, Anhui, China
Plant J 69:782-91. 2012b>Paraquat is one of the most widely used herbicides in the world. However, no paraquat transporter has been isolated in plants...
- Stress-induced alterations in parkin solubility promote parkin aggregation and compromise parkin's protective functionCheng Wang
Neurodegeneration Research Laboratory, National Neuroscience Institute, Singapore
Hum Mol Genet 14:3885-97. 2005..we demonstrate here that several PD-linked stressors, including neurotoxins (MPP+, rotenone, 6-hydroxydopamine), paraquat, NO, dopamine and iron, induce alterations in parkin solubility and result in its intracellular aggregation...
- Wld(S) reduces paraquat-induced cytotoxicity via SIRT1 in non-neuronal cells by attenuating the depletion of NADQiujing Yu
Key Laboratory of Nutrition and Metabolism, Institute for Nutritional Sciences, Graduate School of the Chinese Academy of Sciences, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Shanghai, China
PLoS ONE 6:e21770. 2011..Here we found that Wld(S) significantly reduced the cytotoxicity of bipyridylium herbicides paraquat and diquat in mouse embryonic fibroblasts, but had no effect on the cytotoxicity induced by chromium (VI), ..
- Superoxide sensitivity of the Escherichia coli aconitaseP R Gardner
Department of Biochemistry, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710
J Biol Chem 266:19328-33. 1991....
- Postmortem analyses unveil the poor efficacy of decontamination, anti-inflammatory and immunosuppressive therapies in paraquat human intoxicationsRicardo Jorge Dinis-Oliveira
Faculty of Medicine, University of Porto, Porto, Portugal
PLoS ONE 4:e7149. 2009Fatalities resulting from paraquat (PQ) self-poisonings represent a major burden of this herbicide...
- Medical management of paraquat ingestionIndika B Gawarammana
Department of Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Peradeniya, Peradeniya, Sri Lanka
Br J Clin Pharmacol 72:745-57. 2011Poisoning by paraquat herbicide is a major medical problem in parts of Asia while sporadic cases occur elsewhere. The very high case fatality of paraquat is due to inherent toxicity and lack of effective treatments...
- Paraquat neurotoxicity is mediated by the dopamine transporter and organic cation transporter-3Phillip M Rappold
Department of Neurology in the Center for Translational Neuromedicine, University of Rochester, Rochester, NY 14642, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 108:20766-71. 2011The herbicide paraquat (PQ) has increasingly been reported in epidemiological studies to enhance the risk of developing Parkinson's disease (PD)...
- Gene expression in rat lungs during early response to paraquat-induced oxidative stressMasafumi Tomita
Department of Medical Toxicology, Kawasaki Medical School, Kurashiki 701 0192, Japan
Int J Mol Med 17:37-44. 2006b>Paraquat (PQ) is a well-known pneumotoxicant and provides an established model of oxidative stress. This study focused on the transcriptional response to PQ-driven oxidative stress in rat lungs during an early phase post-injection...
- Melatonin or silymarin reduces maneb- and paraquat-induced Parkinson's disease phenotype in the mouseNaveen Kumar Singhal
Indian Institute of Toxicology Research Council of Scientific and Industrial Research, M G Marg, Lucknow, UP, India Jamia Hamdard, New Delhi, India
J Pineal Res 50:97-109. 2011Oxidative stress is reported as one of the most widely accepted mechanisms of maneb (MB)- and paraquat (PQ)-induced nigrostriatal dopaminergic neurodegeneration leading to the Parkinson's disease (PD) phenotype...
- Lifespan extension and paraquat resistance in a ubiquinone-deficient Escherichia coli mutant depend on transcription factors ArcA and TdcAStavros Gonidakis
Integrative and Evolutionary Biology, Department of Biological Sciences, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, 90089, USA
Aging (Albany NY) 3:291-303. 2011..The longevity of the mutant, as well as its resistance to the superoxide-generating agent paraquat, is partially dependent on the hypoxia-inducible transcription factor ArcA...
- Neuroprotective effects of (-)-epigallocatechin-3-gallate (EGCG) on paraquat-induced apoptosis in PC12 cellsRong Rong Hou
Laboratory of Integrated Traditional Chinese Medicine and Western Medicine on Elderly Encephalopathy, Research Center of Traditional Chinese Medicine, Xijing Hospital, Fourth Military Medical University, 710032 Xi an, Shaanxi, China
Cell Biol Int 32:22-30. 2008..b>Paraquat (PQ) is a widely used herbicide that possesses a similar structure to MPP(+) and is toxic to mesencephalic ..
- Protective effect of quercetin against paraquat-induced lung injury in ratsHee K Park
College of Pharmacy, Seoul National University, Seoul, Republic of Korea
Life Sci 87:181-6. 2010b>Paraquat (PQ) is known to induce pulmonary injury via a redox cyclic reaction. The present study was aimed to determine the protective effects of quercetin against PQ-induced pulmonary injury in association with its antioxidant activity.
- Decreased mitochondrial superoxide levels and enhanced protection against paraquat in Drosophila melanogaster supplemented with Rhodiola roseaSamuel E Schriner
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of California, Irvine, Irvine, CA 92697, USA
Free Radic Res 43:836-43. 2009..that it lowered mitochondrial superoxide levels and afforded elevated protection against the superoxide generator paraquat in both sexes...
- Combined initial cyclophosphamide with repeated methylprednisolone pulse therapy for severe paraquat poisoning from dermal exposureNan Chieh Lin
Poison Center, Department of Internal Medicine, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Lin Kou Medical Center, Chang Gung Medical College and University, Taipei, Taiwan, ROC
J Toxicol Clin Toxicol 41:877-81. 2003The article presents a patient with severe paraquat poisoning from dermal exposure, who had chemical bums to more than 10% of his body surface area, serum paraquat level 0.13 microg/mL 60 hr after exposure, and severe hypoxemia (PaO2 41...
- Neurotoxic in vivo models of Parkinson's disease recent advancesJason R Cannon
Pittsburgh Institute for Neurodegenerative Diseases, Department of Neurology, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Prog Brain Res 184:17-33. 2010..The roles these new advances in modeling may have in future PD research are examined in this chapter...
- Evaluation of epidemiologic and animal data associating pesticides with Parkinson's diseaseAbby A Li
Health Sciences Practice, Exponent, Inc, San Francisco, California 94114, USA
J Occup Environ Med 47:1059-87. 2005..We conclude that the animal and epidemiologic data reviewed do not provide sufficient evidence to support a causal association between pesticide exposure and PD...
- Cytotoxicity of paraquat in microglial cells: Involvement of PKCdelta- and ERK1/2-dependent NADPH oxidaseRebecca L Miller
Department of Medical Pharmacology and Physiology, University of Missouri, Columbia, MO 65211, USA
Brain Res 1167:129-39. 2007..Exposure to paraquat, an herbicide with structure similar to the dopaminergic neurotoxin, 1-methyl-4-phenylpyridinium (MPP+), has been ..
- Activation of apoptosis signal-regulating kinase 1 is a key factor in paraquat-induced cell death: modulation by the Nrf2/Trx axisMireia Niso-Santano
Departamento de Bioquimica y Biologia Molecular y Genetica, E U Enfermería y Terapia Ocupacional, Universidad de Extremadura, 10071 Caceres, Spain
Free Radic Biol Med 48:1370-81. 2010..have addressed this question in human dopaminergic neuroblastoma SH-SY5Y cells exposed to the parkinsonian toxin paraquat (PQ)...
- Paraquat and Parkinson's diseaseC Berry
Queen Mary, University of London, London, E1 4NS, UK
Cell Death Differ 17:1115-25. 2010..Among other pesticides, paraquat (PQ) has been linked to PD by epidemiological studies and experimental work in rodents, in which it causes ..
- The effects of exogenous antioxidants on lifespan and oxidative stress resistance in Drosophila melanogasterTapiwanashe Magwere
Centre for Research on Ageing, University College London, Department of Biology, Darwin Building, Gower Street, London WC1E 6BT, United Kingdom
Mech Ageing Dev 127:356-70. 2006..increase in toxicity in wild type flies, an effect that was exacerbated in the presence of the redox-cycling drug paraquat. However, important findings from this study were that in SOD-deficient flies, where the antioxidant drugs ..
- Behavioral and histopathological consequences of paraquat intoxication in mice: effects of alpha-synuclein over-expressionP O Fernagut
Department of Neurology, The David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, Los Angeles, California 90095 1769, USA
Synapse 61:991-1001. 2007Genetic variability in the alpha-synuclein gene and long-term exposure to the pesticide paraquat constitute possible risk factors for sporadic Parkinson's disease...
- Microglial activation as a priming event leading to paraquat-induced dopaminergic cell degenerationMaya G Purisai
The Parkinson s Institute, 1170 Morse Avenue, Sunnyvale, CA 94089, USA
Neurobiol Dis 25:392-400. 2007..Repeated injections with the herbicide paraquat cause oxidative stress and a selective loss of dopaminergic neurons in mice...
- The role of microglia in paraquat-induced dopaminergic neurotoxicityXue Fei Wu
Neuropharmacology Section, Laboratory of Pharmacology and Chemistry, National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, Research Triangle Park, NC, USA
Antioxid Redox Signal 7:654-61. 2005The herbicide paraquat (PQ) has been implicated as a potential risk factor for the development of Parkinson's disease. In this study, PQ (0...
- Mice with a homozygous null mutation for the most abundant glutathione peroxidase, Gpx1, show increased susceptibility to the oxidative stress-inducing agents paraquat and hydrogen peroxideJ B de Haan
Molecular Genetics and Development Group, Institute of Reproduction and Development, Monash Medical Centre, 246 Clayton Road, Clayton, Victoria 3168, Australia
J Biol Chem 273:22528-36. 1998..Gpx1 in protection against oxidative stress by showing that Gpx1 (-/-) mice are highly sensitive to the oxidant paraquat. Lethality was already detected within 24 h in mice exposed to paraquat at 10 mg...
- Parkinson's disease risk from ambient exposure to pesticidesAnthony Wang
Epidemiology, UCLA School of Public Health, Box 951772, 650 Charles E Young Drive, Los Angeles, CA 90095 1772, USA
Eur J Epidemiol 26:547-55. 2011..our geographic information system model, we estimated ambient exposures to the pesticides ziram, maneb, and paraquat at work places and residences from 1974 to 1999...
- Paraquat induces dopaminergic dysfunction and proteasome impairment in DJ-1-deficient miceWonsuk Yang
Department of Neurology, The University of Chicago, IL 60637, USA
Hum Mol Genet 16:2900-10. 2007..To simulate the interaction of genetic factors and environmental factors, we treated DJ-1-deficient mice with paraquat. Even in relatively young mice, this combination produced dopamine loss and motor dysfunction...
- Environmental risk factors and Parkinson's disease: selective degeneration of nigral dopaminergic neurons caused by the herbicide paraquatAlison L McCormack
The Parkinson s Institute, Sunnyvale, California 94089, USA
Neurobiol Dis 10:119-27. 2002..nigrostriatal degeneration could be reproduced by systemic exposure of mice to the widely used herbicide paraquat. Repeated intraperitoneal paraquat injections killed dopaminergic neurons in the substantia nigra (SN) pars ..
- Oxidative stress tolerance and longevity in Arabidopsis: the late-flowering mutant gigantea is tolerant to paraquatJ Kurepa
Department of Genetics, Flanders Interuniversity Institute for Biotechnology VIB, Universiteit Gent, Belgium
Plant J 14:759-64. 1998..tolerance, the response was tested of 11 late-flowering mutants to the superoxide radical-generating herbicide paraquat. A tight correlation between flowering time and paraquat tolerance was found when plants were exposed to low ..
- The clinical features of acute kidney injury in patients with acute paraquat intoxicationSu Ji Kim
Department of Internal Medicine, Soonchunhyang University Cheonan Hospital, Cheonan, Korea
Nephrol Dial Transplant 24:1226-32. 2009b>Paraquat (PQ) is a non-selective herbicide that generates reactive oxygen species in vivo...
- Stress-induced germ cell apoptosis by a p53 independent pathway in Caenorhabditis elegansL S Salinas
Departamento de Biologia Celular, Instituto de Fisiologia Celular, Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico, Apartado Postal 70 600, Mexico, DF 04510, Mexico
Cell Death Differ 13:2129-39. 2006..We conclude that in C. elegans responses to various stresses that do not involve genotoxicity include an increase in germ cell apoptosis through the physiological pathway...
- Identification of early molecular pathways affected by paraquat in rat lungGuy Mainwaring
Syngenta CTL, Alderley Park, Cheshire SK10 4TJ, United Kingdom
Toxicology 225:157-72. 2006..profiling, combined with pathway analysis tools, to identify in rats the molecular events associated with paraquat toxicity in the lung. Early (2, 8 and 18h) gene expression changes induced following intraperitoneal (i.p...
- Systemic exposure to paraquat and maneb models early Parkinson's disease in young adult ratsFrancesca Cicchetti
Centre de Recherche en Neurosciences, CHUL, RC 9800, 2705 Boulevard Laurier, Sainte Foy, QC, Canada G1V 4G2
Neurobiol Dis 20:360-71. 2005..b>Paraquat (PQ--herbicide) and maneb (MB--fungicide) are among the compounds suspected to induce neuronal degeneration and ..
- The effectiveness of combined treatment with methylprednisolone and cyclophosphamide in oral paraquat poisoningSaeed Afzali
Poisoning Ward, Sina Hospital, Hamadan, Iran
Arch Iran Med 11:387-91. 2008b>Paraquat is a bipyridil herbicide and in appropriate and careful usage, will not be health threatening. Most adult cases of intoxication are due to suicidal attempts rather than accidental exposure...
- Effect of methylsulfonylmethane on paraquat-induced acute lung and liver injury in miceKeyvan Amirshahrokhi
Department of Pharmacology, School of Medicine, Ardabil University of Medical Sciences, P O Box 5618953141, Ardabil, Iran
Inflammation 36:1111-21. 2013..This study was carried out to investigate the effect of MSM on paraquat (PQ)-induced acute lung and liver injury in mice. A single dose of PQ (50 mg/kg, i.p...
- Effect assessment of the herbicide paraquat on a green alga using differential gene expression and biochemical biomarkersAn Jamers
Laboratory for Ecophysiology, Biochemistry and Toxicology, Department of Biology, University of Antwerp, Groenenborgerlaan 171, 2020 Antwerp, Belgium
Environ Toxicol Chem 29:893-901. 2010Effects of the herbicide paraquat were assessed on the green freshwater alga Chlamydomonas reinhardtii using different endpoints of toxicity...
- Association of the superoxide dismutase (V16A) and catalase (C262T) genetic polymorphisms with the clinical outcome of patients with acute paraquat intoxicationJoong Rock Hong
Department of Internal Medicine, Soonchunhyang University College of Medicine, Cheonan, Korea
Korean J Intern Med 25:422-8. 2010Many patients with acute paraquat (PQ) intoxication die even at low PQ concentrations, whereas others with similar concentrations recover...
- Consumption of hydrogen water reduces paraquat-induced acute lung injury in ratsShulin Liu
Department of Diving Medicine, Faculty of Naval Medicine, Second Military Medical University, 800 Xiangyin Road, Shanghai 200433, China
J Biomed Biotechnol 2011:305086. 2011Exposure to paraquat leads to acute lung injury and oxidative stress is widely accepted as a contributor to paraquat-induced acute lung injury...
- The reversal of paraquat-induced mitochondria-mediated apoptosis by cycloartenyl ferulate, the important role of Nrf2 pathwayGuang liang Hong
Department of Emergency Medicine, The First Affiliated Hospital of Wenzhou Medical University, 2 Fuxue lane, Lucheng District, Wenzhou 325000, Zhejiang, China Electronic address
Exp Cell Res 319:2845-55. 2013In this study, we demonstrate the protective effects of Cycloartenyl ferulate (CF) against Paraquat (PQ)-induced cytotoxicity and elucidate the underlying molecular mechanisms...
- Complement inhibition alleviates paraquat-induced acute lung injuryShihui Sun
State Key Laboratory of Pathogen and Biosecurity, Beijing Institute of Microbiology and Epidemiology, Beijing 100071, China
Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 45:834-42. 2011The widely used herbicide, paraquat (PQ), is highly toxic and claims thousands of lives from both accidental and voluntary ingestion...
- Paraquat-induced oxidative stress and dysfunction of the glutathione redox cycle in pulmonary microvascular endothelial cellsMaki Tsukamoto
Division of Environmental Hygiene, Hokkaido College of Pharmacy, 7 1 Katsuraoka cho, Otaru, Hokkaido, 047 0264, Japan
Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 178:82-92. 2002..that include the glutathione redox cycle in cultured pulmonary microvascular endothelial cells after exposure to paraquat at 0.1 and 0.5 mM were examined as a function of time...
- Protective effects of naringin against paraquat-induced acute lung injury and pulmonary fibrosis in miceYan Chen
Key Laboratory of Gene Engineering of the Ministry of Education, Guangdong Key Laboratory of Plant Resources, School of Life Sciences, Sun Yat Sen University, Guangzhou 510275, PR China
Food Chem Toxicol 58:133-40. 2013The present study evaluates protective effects of naringin against paraquat (PQ)-induced acute lung injury (ALI) and pulmonary fibrosis in mice...
- Mucuna pruriens seed extract reduces oxidative stress in nigrostriatal tissue and improves neurobehavioral activity in paraquat-induced Parkinsonian mouse modelSatyndra Kumar Yadav
Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Science, Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi 221005, India
Neurochem Int 62:1039-47. 2013..pruriens (Mp) seed in Parkinsonian mouse model developed by chronic exposure to paraquat (PQ)...
- Combined exposure to Maneb and Paraquat alters transcriptional regulation of neurogenesis-related genes in mice models of Parkinson's diseasePaula Desplats
Department of Neuroscience, University of California San Diego, 9500 Gilman Dr, MTF 344, La Jolla, CA 92093 0624, USA
Mol Neurodegener 7:49. 2012..Concurrent exposure to Paraquat (PQ) and Maneb (MB) in rural workers increases the risk for PD and exposure of adult mice to MB/PQ results in ..
- Flavodoxin overexpression confers tolerance to oxidative stress in beneficial soil bacteria and improves survival in the presence of the herbicides paraquat and atrazineT Coba de la Peña
Instituto de Ciencias Agrarias, Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Cientificas, Madrid, Spain
J Appl Microbiol 115:236-46. 2013To determine whether expression of a cyanobacterial flavodoxin in soil bacteria of agronomic interest confers protection against the widely used herbicides paraquat and atrazine.
- Oxidative stress response of Mycosphaerella fijiensis, the causal agent of black leaf streak disease in banana plants, to hydrogen peroxide and paraquatMiguel J Beltrán-García
Departamento de Química ICET, Universidad Autonoma de Guadalajara, Patria 1201, Lomas del Valle 44100, Guadalajara, Jalisco, Mexico
Can J Microbiol 55:887-94. 2009..The oxidative stress responses to H2O2, paraquat, and hydroquinone were characterized in terms of the activities of catalase and superoxide dismutase (SOD)...
- Paraquat neurotoxicity is distinct from that of MPTP and rotenoneJason R Richardson
Center for Neurodegenerative Disease, School of Medicine and Department of Environmental and Occupational Health, Rollins School of Public Health, Emory University, Atlanta, Georgia 30322, USA
Toxicol Sci 88:193-201. 2005b>Paraquat, MPTP, and rotenone reproduce features of Parkinson's disease (PD) in experimental animals...
- Involvement of nitric oxide in maneb- and paraquat-induced Parkinson's disease phenotype in mouse: is there any link with lipid peroxidation?Satya Prakash Gupta
Indian Institute of Toxicology Research Council of Scientific and Industrial Research, Mahatma Gandhi Marg, Lucknow, UP, India
Neurochem Res 35:1206-13. 2010The study aimed to investigate the involvement of nitric oxide (NO) in maneb (MB)- and paraquat (PQ)-induced Parkinson's disease (PD) phenotype in mouse and its subsequent contribution to lipid peroxidation...
- Traumatic brain injury in adult rats causes progressive nigrostriatal dopaminergic cell loss and enhanced vulnerability to the pesticide paraquatChe Brown Hutson
Department of Neurology, The David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, Los Angeles, California, USA
J Neurotrauma 28:1783-801. 2011..We have examined the acute and long-term effects of TBI and exposure to low doses of the pesticide paraquat, separately and in combination, on nigrostriatal dopaminergic neurons in adult male rats...
- Regulation of the AcrAB multidrug efflux pump in Salmonella enterica serovar Typhimurium in response to indole and paraquatEiji Nikaido
Laboratory of Microbiology and Infectious Diseases, Institute of Scientific and Industrial Research, Osaka University, Osaka 567 0047, Japan
Microbiology 157:648-55. 2011..Furthermore, we showed that paraquat, a superoxide generator, induces acrAB but not ramA...
- Relationship between autophagy and apoptotic cell death in human neuroblastoma cells treated with paraquat: could autophagy be a "brake" in paraquat-induced apoptotic death?Rosa A Gonzalez-Polo
CIBER de Enfermedades Neurodegenerativas CIBERNED, Departamento de Bioquimica y Biologia Molecular y Genetica, EU Enfermería y TO, Universidad de Extremadura, Caceres, Spain
Autophagy 3:366-7. 2007b>Paraquat (PQ) (1, 1'-dimethyl-4, 4'-bipyridinium dichloride), a widely used herbicide, has been suggested as a potential etiologic factor for the development of Parkinson's disease (PD)...
- Edaravone, a novel antidote against lung injury and pulmonary fibrosis induced by paraquat?Qiaoming Zhi
Department of Surgery of Ruijin Hospital, Shanghai Jiaotong University, Shanghai Institute of Digestive Surgery, Shanghai 200025, PR China
Int Immunopharmacol 11:96-102. 2011..In this study, we evaluated whether edaravone could protect against lung injury and pulmonary fibrosis in paraquat-treated rats...
- Hypokalemia and hypothermia are associated with 30-day mortality in patients with acute paraquat poisoningMeng Wei Chang
Department of Emergency Medicine, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Linko Medical Center, Taoyuan, Taiwan
Am J Med Sci 335:451-6. 2008Clinical predictors associated with acute paraquat (PQ) poisoning have not been systematically studied.
- Coupling endoplasmic reticulum stress to the cell death program in dopaminergic cells: effect of paraquatShankar J Chinta
The Buck Institute for Age Research, 8001 Redwood Blvd, Novato, CA 94945, USA
Neuromolecular Med 10:333-42. 2008..b>Paraquat belongs to a class of bipyridyl herbicides and triggers oxidative stress and dopaminergic cell death...
- Caffeine protects against combined paraquat and maneb-induced dopaminergic neuron degenerationAnil Kachroo
MassGeneral Institute for Neurodegenerative Disease, Department of Neurology, Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02129, USA
Exp Neurol 223:657-61. 2010..whether caffeine alters dopaminergic neuron loss induced by exposure to environmentally relevant pesticides (paraquat and maneb) over 8weeks...
- Granulocyte macrophage-colony stimulating factor protects against substantia nigra dopaminergic cell loss in an environmental toxin model of Parkinson's diseaseE N Mangano
Institute of Neuroscience, Carleton University, 1125 Colonel By Drive, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada K1S 5B6
Neurobiol Dis 43:99-112. 2011..macrophage colony stimulating factor (GM-CSF), would inhibit the neurodegenerative effects of the pesticide, paraquat, administered either alone or following priming with the bacterial endotoxin, lipopolysaccharide (LPS)...
- Chymase mediates paraquat-induced collagen production in human lung fibroblastsYaw Dong Lang
Graduate Institute of Medical Sciences, Taipei Medical University, Taipei 110, Taiwan
Toxicol Lett 193:19-25. 2010Survivors of paraquat poisoning may be left with pulmonary fibrosis and a restrictive type of pulmonary dysfunction. Chymase converts angiotensin (Ang) I to Ang II, which is closely involved with lung fibrosis...
- Paraquat administration in Drosophila for use in metabolic studies of oxidative stressT Z Rzezniczak
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, Laurentian University, Sudbury, Ontario, Canada P3E 2C6
Anal Biochem 419:345-7. 2011b>Paraquat (PQ) is widely used in the laboratory to induce in vivo oxidative stress, particularly in the fruit fly, Drosophila melanogaster...
- Genome-wide transcriptional and physiological responses of Bradyrhizobium japonicum to paraquat-mediated oxidative stressAndrew J Donati
Department of Biology, University of Texas at Arlington, Life Science Building 216, Arlington, TX 76019, USA
Appl Environ Microbiol 77:3633-43. 2011..Therefore, B. japonicum must be able to resist such a defense mechanism to initiate nodulation. In this study, paraquat, a known superoxide radical-inducing agent, was used to investigate this response...
- The efficacy of high doses of vitamin C in patients with paraquat poisoningJeong Mi Moon
Department of Emergency Medicine, Chonnam National University Hospital, Gwangju, South Korea
Hum Exp Toxicol 30:844-50. 2011b>Paraquat (PQ) poisoning is an extremely difficult condition to manage clinically because of the lack of effective treatments...
- Comparison between kidney and hemoperfusion for paraquat eliminationMoon Soo Kang
Department of Internal Medicine, Soonchunhyang University Cheonan Hospital, Cheonan, Korea
J Korean Med Sci 24:S156-60. 2009The mortality rate of acute paraquat (PQ) poisoning depends on the PQ concentration in the blood. It has been shown that the kidneys eliminate PQ effectively...
- Fatality in paraquat poisoningA M Sabzghabaee
Isfahan Clinical Toxicology Research Centre, Noor and Ali Asghar General Teaching Hospital, Isfahan, Iran
Singapore Med J 51:496-500. 2010Acute paraquat (PQ) poisoning continues to be a major public health concern in many developing countries...
- Paraquat induces epigenetic changes by promoting histone acetylation in cell culture models of dopaminergic degenerationC Song
Department of Biomedical Sciences, Iowa Center for Advanced Neurotoxicology, Iowa State University, Ames, IA 50011, USA
Neurotoxicology 32:586-95. 2011..The widely used herbicide paraquat is among the few environmental chemicals potentially linked with PD...
- Single high dose dexamethasone treatment decreases the pathological score and increases the survival rate of paraquat-intoxicated ratsR J Dinis-Oliveira
REQUIMTE, Departamento de Toxicologia, Faculdade de Farmacia, Universidade do Porto, Rua Anibal Cunha, 164, 4099 030 Porto, Portugal
Toxicology 227:73-85. 2006Dexamethasone (DEX), a synthetic corticosteroid, has been successfully used in clinical practice during paraquat (PQ) poisonings due to its anti-inflammatory activity, although, as recently observed, its effects related to de novo ..
- EFFECTS OF AGING ON GERMLINE AND SOMATIC STEM CELLS IN DROSOPHILA MELANOGASTERMATTHEW WALLENFANG; Fiscal Year: 2007..of such damage by overexpressing superoxide dismutase in flies, and but increasing oxidative damage through paraquat treatment...
- Hematopoietic Stem Cells (HSCs) as Juvenile Protective Factors that Alter AgingDavid E Harrison; Fiscal Year: 2011..will be exposed to treatments that cause genomic instability: gamma radiation, DNA polymerase inhibition, and paraquat. Genomic instability will be quantified as a) chromosome structural lesions (spectral karyotyping), b) segmental ..
- Oxidative stress and neurogenetic networks in DrosophilaRobert R H Anholt; Fiscal Year: 2010..background and environmental conditions can be precisely controlled, the response to oxidative stressors, such as paraquat, can be measured precisely, and a range of locomotor behaviors can be quantified accurately by simple assays as ..
- Organic Cation Transporter PMAT: Physiological Function and Role in Drug DispositJoanne Wang; Fiscal Year: 2013..and toxins (e.g. MPP+, paraquat) are hydrophilic organic cations (OCs) that do not readily cross cell membranes by passive diffusion...
- Identification of Mammalian Genes Promoting Life ExtensionSIU HUNG CHICK; Fiscal Year: 2013..We screen for mutant ES cell clones that are resistant to paraquat and we screen these for multi-stress resistance, levels of reactive oxygen species under stress, pluripotency, ..
- Peroxiredoxin 6 and CataractogenesisDhirendra P Singh; Fiscal Year: 2010..stress in vitro and in vivo using TAT-HA- PRDX6 to cargoing PRDX6 protein in Prdx6-/- depleted mice and mice with Paraquat-induced oxidative stress as well as Shumiya cataract rat (SCR), and assess whether cataract progression is slowed ..
- Astrocyte Control of Toxin-Mediated Neuron Death: Role of the Gamma-Glutamyl PathGeorge I Henderson; Fiscal Year: 2010..utilize cultures of neurons and astrocytes, alone and in co-culture, to address the direct impact of rotenone, paraquat, and E on astrocyte and neuron components of the ?-glutamyl cycle...
- Detoxification of Biogeneic Aldehydes in Parkinson's DiseaseRandy Strong; Fiscal Year: 2013..Human and animal studies have established a link between environmental exposure to paraquat, maneb and rotenone in idiopathic or sporadic PD...
- Environmental toxins and stem cell epigenetic remodelingJoyce Ellen Ohm; Fiscal Year: 2013..three specific aims are proposed: Specific Aim 1: Determine the in vitro WOS during which the environmental toxin paraquat induces DNA methylation changes in differentiating stem cells...
- Altered transport and epigenomic changes in maneb-potentiated neurotoxicityJAMES R ROEDE; Fiscal Year: 2012..Specifically, exposures to the herbicide paraquat (PQ) and the fungicide maneb (MB) are associated with a 75-80% increased risk of PD...
- Mechanism of Peroxiredoxin 3 in a Model of Pesticide-Mediated NeurodegenerationJAMES R ROEDE; Fiscal Year: 2012..Epidemiological investigations indicate exposure to the pesticides paraquat (PQ) and maneb (MB) increase the risk of PD, but the underlying mechanisms are unknown...
- Altered transport and epigenomic changes in maneb-potentiated neurotoxicityJAMES R ROEDE; Fiscal Year: 2013..Specifically, exposures to the herbicide paraquat (PQ) and the fungicide maneb (MB) are associated with a 75-80% increased risk of PD...
- Oxidative modification of brain proteins in pesticide intoxicationPIER MASTROBERARDINO; Fiscal Year: 2009..identify those proteins that get oxidized following the administration of two different pesticides, rotenone or paraquat, and to validate their potential use as biomarkers in antioxidant therapy...
- Peroxiredoxin 6 as an Anti-oxidant EnzymeAron B Fisher; Fiscal Year: 2013..we have demonstrated that Prdx6 plays a seminal role in defense of lungs against oxidant stress (hyperoxia, paraquat), that the promoter of the gene contains an antioxidant response element that is sensitive to the transcription ..
- Pharmacogenomics of Parkinson's DiseaseHaydeh Payami; Fiscal Year: 2013..will be performed: (1) a genome- wide gene-environment interaction study, (2) deficiency screening in the paraquat Drosophila model to identify loci that modify rescue by nicotine and caffeine, and testing the human homologues ..
- Pesticides and Parkinson's DiseaseZhengui Xia; Fiscal Year: 2012..have indicated a correlation between increased risk for PD and occupational exposure to pesticides including paraquat, a widely used herbicide...
- IGF-I Signaling and AgingMartin L Adamo; Fiscal Year: 2011..IGF-I receptor gene in all tissues (Igflr^'mice) have extended life span in association with resistance to paraquat toxicity...
- Exposure to Pesticides: A Fetal Environmental Risk Factor for Parkinson's DiseaseBRIAN BARLOW; Fiscal Year: 2010..mice, prenatal exposure to the fungicide maneb (MB) greatly increased adulthood susceptibility to the pesticide paraquat (PQ), resulting in features of PD...
- Mitochondrial ROS in environmental toxin-induced AD pathogenesisQitao Ran; Fiscal Year: 2013..We have recently showed that exposure to pesticide paraquat exacerbated cognitive impairment and increased A[unreadable] accumulation in AD animal models and that ..
- Dopamine, mutant synuclein, oxidative stress and inflammationHoward J Federoff; Fiscal Year: 2010..Efforts to elucidate thls mechanism have been aided by the linkage between toxicant (e.g., MPTP, paraquat. rotenone) injury, oxidative stress, inherited defects in turnover of the presynaptic and Lewy Body constituent ..
- Aging Stress Pathway and Dopaminergic Neuron Degeneration in Parkinson's DiseaseYong Chao Ma; Fiscal Year: 2013..that induced by environmental toxicant 1- methyl-4-phenyl-1,2,3,6-tetrahydropyridine (MPTP) and herbicide Paraquat, has been demonstrated to contribute to dopaminergic neuron degeneration in sporadic Parkinson's disease...
- Early life brain inflammation and vulnerability to neurodegeneration in late lifeLir Wan Fan; Fiscal Year: 2013..The following specific aims will be addressed: Aim 1: to investigate the effects of environmental toxin, paraquat, at an ordinarily non-toxic or sub-toxic dose, in order to characterize the chronic inflammatory conditions in ..
- Environmental Toxins and Genetic Factors in Parkinson DiseaseXugang Xia; Fiscal Year: 2013..In animal models, exposure to the environmental toxin paraquat causes permanent and accumulative damage to dopaminergic system...
- Pathogenic Mechanisms of Environmental Toxicants in Parkinson's DiseaseLian Li; Fiscal Year: 2012..Many of these toxicants, such as rotenone, paraquat, and 1-methyl-4- phenyl-1,2,3,6-tetrahydropyridine (MPTP), have been shown to increase the levels of reactive ..
- Mitochondrial mechanisms of redox cycling agentsManisha N Patel; Fiscal Year: 2013..Redox cycling agents such as the herbicide paraquat (PQ2+) are found in the environment and several compounds in this class have come under investigation as ..
- Mitochondrial dynamics underlie gene-environment interactions in Parkinson'sAdrianne Chesser; Fiscal Year: 2013..In particular, the meperidine-derivative MPTP and the herbicide paraquat (PQ) have been linked to a long term risk of developing symptoms of PD...
- LRRK2 and NeurodegenerationBenjamin L Wolozin; Fiscal Year: 2013..associated with increased protein misfolding and protection against mitochondrial toxins, such as rotenone and paraquat. Knockdown of lrk-1, the C. elegans homologue of LRRK2, has the opposite effects and renders C...
- Pesticide Interactions in LRRK2 Transgenic ModelsAMY BEATRICE MANNING BOG; Fiscal Year: 2010..To test this hypothesis, we will administer paraquat or diethyldithiocarbamate, alone and in combination, to two lines of human LRRK2 transgenic mice (LRRK2 ..
- Protein radicals in microglia: environmental mechanisms of chronic neurotoxicityMichelle L Block; Fiscal Year: 2013..Thus, beginning with the NF:2 p50 radical, we will test the specific hypothesis that paraquat, LPS, and MPTP/MPP+ cause microglial protein radicals that drive progressive neuroinflammation and DA ..
- Environmental toxin interactions with genetic risks for Parkinson's diseaseDAVID EVAN KRANTZ; Fiscal Year: 2011..will therefore test the hypothesis that the neuroprotective effects of VMAT will extend to a different toxin, paraquat, thought to act by a different mechanism than rotenone, and whether this requires its localization to synaptic ..
- METABOLISM AND NUTRITION OF IRON AND OTHER TRACE METALSPAUL SALTMAN; Fiscal Year: 1993..Strategies for preventing cellular damage in reperfused ischemic heart tissue and the toxic effects of paraquat in E. coli will be developed...
- LEUKOCYTE, ENZYME AND DRUG CHEMILUMINESCENCE STUDIESJEFFREY KANOFSKY; Fiscal Year: 1990..carminic acid, mithramycin, chromomycin A3, olivomycin, mitomycin C, VP-16 streptonigrin, procarbazine, paraquat, cis-platinum and gossypol...
- Gene Environment Interactions in Parkinson's DiseaseKim Tieu; Fiscal Year: 2010..results, we hypothesize that PINK1 mutations increase cell susceptibility to environmental toxicants such as paraquat (PQ) through a novel mechanism: mitochondrial fragmentation via the mitochondrial fission / fusion machinery...
- Food Safety and Security Monitoring Project (U18), FERN Chemical LaboratoriesShane A Wyatt; Fiscal Year: 2013..LC/MS toxin screens to compounds that partition into the water phase, such as the contact herbicides diquat and paraquat. The analysis of melamine and its analogs will also be evaluated by LC/MS with automated Solid Phase Extraction (..
- FREE RADICALS, PROTEIN AGGREGATES & PARKINSON'S DISEASEGARY PIELAK; Fiscal Year: 2001..Exposure to the herbicide paraquat is associated with an increased risk of Parkinson's Disease...
- 7 FE FDI AS A MODEL FE-S AND REGULATORY PROTEINThomas Poulos; Fiscal Year: 2002..FdI has a regulatory function related to an oxidative stress system that responds to the superoxide propagater paraquat. We have shown that FdI controls the expression of its redox partner NADPH:ferredoxin reductase indirectly ..
- OXIDANT MECHANISMS IN DRUG-INDUCED HEPATIC NECROSISCharles Smith; Fiscal Year: 2006..Therapeutic uses of acetaminophen and furosemide are extensive, and diquat and paraquat are widely used herbicides...
- Developmental Pesticide Exposure: The Parkinson's Disease PhenotypeMona Thiruchelvam; Fiscal Year: 2010..Combined exposure from postnatal day (PND) 7-19 to the pesticides paraquat(PQ) + maneb (MB) produces permanent and selective nigrostriatal DA neurotoxicity, and markedly enhances ..
- Environmental Toxicants and NeurodegenerationKim Tieu; Fiscal Year: 2010..Based on our preliminary data we hypothesize that cations such as MPP+ (1-methyl-4-phenylpyridinium) and paraquat (PQ) are bi- directionally transported across the astrocytic plasma membrane by the organic cation transporter 3 (..
- MIMICS OF SUPEROXIDE DISMUTASE--ISOLATION & SYNTHESISIrwin Fridovich; Fiscal Year: 1990..test whether these SOD mimics decrease the inductions of SOD in Escherichia coli which are caused by oxygenand by paraquat. These studies will then be extended to cultured mammalian cells...
- Genetic Model of Caloric RestrictionBlanka Rogina; Fiscal Year: 2002..changes in the metabolism of ROS, they will determine the resistance of Indy flies to temperature, starvation, paraquat and hyperoxia...
- 1-Cys-peroxiredoxin, A Novel Lung Anti-oxidant EnzymeAron Fisher; Fiscal Year: 2004..Cell lines that overexpress 1-cysPrx will be generated and evaluated for resistance to oxidative stress (H2O2, paraquat)...
- VITAMIN E TURNOVER AND CHEMICAL TOXICITYDANIEL LIEBLER; Fiscal Year: 1992..Membrane fractions will be challenged with toxic chemicals known to induce free radical injury including paraquat, methyl ethyl ketone peroxide, doxorubicin, and tertbutyl hydroperoxide...
- TOXICITY OF O2- AND H2O2Robert Lynch; Fiscal Year: 1993..In one prototype of toxicity fostered by the reduction of molecular oxygen, the various cytotoxic actions of paraquat, mutagenicity and malignant transformation were observed but whether either of these was due O2-, H2O2, or OH was ..
- NEUROPATHOLOGY OF THE AGING SYMPATHETIC NERVOUS SYSTEMRobert Schmidt; Fiscal Year: 2006..Since our last submission, we have discovered that suicidal ingestion of paraquat (PQ), a superoxide-generating herbicide, results in autonomic failure and the development of NAD in human ..
- COMBINED AGRICHEMICAL EXPOSURES AND PARKINSON'S DISEASEDeborah Cory Slechta; Fiscal Year: 2004..Efforts to confirm an involvement of the herbicide paraquat, a compound with structural similarity to the DA neurotoxicant, MPTP that produces a PD-like syndrome in humans, ..
- BIOMEDICAL RESEARCH SUPPORTPAUL HOCHSTEIN; Fiscal Year: 1991..the role of leucocyte activation in this process; B) the involvement of oxygen free radicals in the metabolism of paraquat; C) the role of free radical intermediates in ethanol cocaine, chlorohydrocarbon anesthetics, and aromatic amine ..
- EPIDEMIOLOGY OF PARKINSONS DISEASE AND FARM RISK FACTORSDaniel Strickland; Fiscal Year: 1999..potential confounding or because some agricultural exposures may have been overlooked as a result of the focus on paraquat chemicals...
- Mitochondrial Response to Oxidative StressDANIEL BOGENHAGEN; Fiscal Year: 2006..A number of cellular toxins, including rotenone, 1-methyl-4-phenylpyridine (MPP+) and paraquat act to impair mitochondrial electron transport, generating ROS...
- Xenobiotics, Lipid Peroxidation and AutoimmunityM Firoze Khan; Fiscal Year: 2006..MRL+/+) and -resistant (B6C3F1) mice treated with environmental chemicals (trichloroethene and paraquat) known to cause lipid peroxidation; 2) To establish a link between increased LPDAs and the development of ..
- COLLAGEN METABOLISM IN RAT LUNG EXPLANTSDeborah Greenberg; Fiscal Year: 1980The ability of ozone, paraquat, and high levels of oxygen to induce pulmonary fibrosis in rats will be tested...
- ENVIRONMENTAL NEUROTOXICANT GENETIC ACTION--MURINE MODELHoward Federoff; Fiscal Year: 2002..Vulnerability to systemically administered neurotoxicants MPTP and paraquat will be examined in mice in which a subset of nigral dopaminergic neurons have increased DAT expression...
- PESTICIDE-SYNUCLEIN: RISK FACTORS FOR PARKINSON'SSatinder Sarang; Fiscal Year: 2004..exposure and PD, and pesticides that cause oxidative stress and mitochondrial dysfunction, such as rotenone and paraquat, are used in cellular and animal models of PD...
- Genetic Susceptibility Loci in Mouse Neurotoxic Parkins*Eric Richfield; Fiscal Year: 2003..nigra pars compacta (SNpc) neuron number in 15 inbred strains of mice treated with saline or with MPTP, paraquat, or paraquat plus maneb...
- CHEMICAL INTERACTIONS AND OXIDATIVE STRESS IN FISHA Steward; Fiscal Year: 1992..stress induced by TCDD in rainbow trout in vivo; use these markers to assess the potential of the pesticides paraquat and diclone to produce oxidative stress, both alone and in combination with TCDD; and statistically assess the ..
- GOLGI APPARATUS IN AMYOTROPHIC LATERAL SCLEROSISNICHOLAS GONATAS; Fiscal Year: 2001..parallel experiments the GA will be investigated in cells expressing G93A after oxidative stress induced by H202, paraquat and peroxynitrite...
- Role of Msr in Oxidative Stres in S. aureusRADHESHYAM JAYASWAL; Fiscal Year: 2002..the msrA mutants will be tested for oxidative stress tolerance against various oxidative agents, such as H2O2, paraquat, AAPH...
- RADIATION BIOCHEMISTRY OF DNA BASE DAMAGEH Claycamp; Fiscal Year: 1991..radiolysis products, O2- and H2O2, on cellular DNA damage without exogenous chemical modifiers such as H2O2 or paraquat. Procedures for the measurement of DNA base damage in cells and in model DNA that have been developed in previous ..
- TOXIC EFFECTS OF PARAQUAT AND DIQUAT ON LUNG METABOLISMMiguel Medina; Fiscal Year: 1980The technique of microwave inactivation of tissue will be used to study the in vivo effects of paraquat and diquat on labile metabolites in mouse lung...
- RAPID CHEMILUMINESCENT SCREEN TEST FOR MICROORGANISMSROBERT CARRICO; Fiscal Year: 1992..The work will use lucigenin and luminol as chemiluminescent probes and will use redox active agents, such as paraquat, to transfer reducing equivalents from enzymes and cofactors to oxygen and the chemiluminescent probes...
- Modulation of Lung Inflammation and Cell Death by VIPSAMI SAID; Fiscal Year: 2006..and is uniquely suited to a critical analysis of cell death mechanisms in lung injury; b) oxidant injury due to paraquat and xanthine + xanthine oxidase; and c) endotoxin lipopolysaccharide (LPS)-and Fas- induced apoptotic cell death...
- BIOLOGICAL SUPEROXIDE RADICAL MECHANISMSBENON BIELSKI; Fiscal Year: 1992..Evidence is accumulating that links such events to paraquat, halogen and anti-cancer drug toxicity, arthritis, tissue damage following reperfusion, dementia etc...
- Natural Genetic Variation and Epistasis in AgingDaniel Promislow; Fiscal Year: 2002..background, we will measure the effect of mutants on age-specific mortality, resistance to oxidative stress (paraquat) and resistance to heat shock...