Genomes and Genes
Summary: A doubly unsaturated fatty acid, occurring widely in plant glycosides. It is an essential fatty acid in mammalian nutrition and is used in the biosynthesis of prostaglandins and cell membranes. (From Stedman, 26th ed)
Publications294 found, 100 shown here
- Dietary linoleic acid elevates endogenous 2-AG and anandamide and induces obesityAnita R Alvheim
National Institute of Nutrition and Seafood Research, Bergen, Norway
Obesity (Silver Spring) 20:1984-94. 2012..Here we posited that excessive dietary intake of linoleic acid (LA), the precursor of AA, would induce endocannabinoid hyperactivity and promote obesity...
- Use of dietary linoleic acid for secondary prevention of coronary heart disease and death: evaluation of recovered data from the Sydney Diet Heart Study and updated meta-analysisChristopher E Ramsden
Laboratory of Membrane Biophysics and Biochemistry, National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
BMJ 346:e8707. 2013To evaluate the effectiveness of replacing dietary saturated fat with omega 6 linoleic acid, for the secondary prevention of coronary heart disease and death.
- Effect of dietary linoleic acid on markers of inflammation in healthy persons: a systematic review of randomized controlled trialsGuy H Johnson
Department of Food Science and Human Nutrition, The University of Illinois, Urbana Champaign, USA
J Acad Nutr Diet 112:1029-41, 1041.e1-15. 2012The majority of evidence suggests that n-6 polyunsaturated fatty acids, including linoleic acid (LA), reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease as reflected by current dietary recommendations...
- Biomarkers of fat and fatty acid intakeLenore Arab
University of North Carolina School of Public Health, Chapel Hill, NC 27955, USA
J Nutr 133:925S-932S. 2003..1% of the total fat profiles, such as decosahexanoic acid (DHA), eicosapentanoic acid (EPA) and conjugated linoleic acid (CLA)...
- Plasma phospholipid and dietary fatty acids as predictors of type 2 diabetes: interpreting the role of linoleic acidAllison M Hodge
Cancer Epidemiology Centre, The Cancer Council Victoria, Melbourne, Australia
Am J Clin Nutr 86:189-97. 2007..Dietary fatty acids may be associated with diabetes but are difficult to measure accurately...
- Impact of linoleic acid on bovine oocyte maturation and embryo developmentWaleed F Marei
Reproduction, Genes and Development Research Group, Department of Veterinary Basic Sciences, The Royal Veterinary College, Hawkshead Lane, North Mymms, Hatfield, Herts AL97TA, UK
Reproduction 139:979-88. 2010b>Linoleic acid (LA; 18:2 n-6) is the most abundant fatty acid in bovine follicular fluid, and it was previously reported that LA concentration significantly decreases when follicle size increases...
- Bioconversion of vaccenic acid to conjugated linoleic acid in humansAnu M Turpeinen
Department of Applied Chemistry, University of Helsinki, Finland
Am J Clin Nutr 76:504-10. 2002..is produced in the rumen and converted in tissues to rumenic acid (9-cis, 11-trans octadecenoic acid; RA), an isomer of conjugated linoleic acid, by Delta(9)-desaturase. There are indications that this conversion also occurs in humans.
- Heat generates oxidized linoleic acid metabolites that activate TRPV1 and produce pain in rodentsAmol M Patwardhan
Department of Endodontics, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, San Antonio, Texas 78227, USA
J Clin Invest 120:1617-26. 2010..Here, we have shown that the oxidized linoleic acid metabolites 9- and 13-hydroxyoctadecadienoic acid (9- and 13-HODE) are formed in mouse and rat skin biopsies ..
- Long-chain conversion of [13C]linoleic acid and alpha-linolenic acid in response to marked changes in their dietary intake in menNahed Hussein
Centre for Nutrition and Food Safety, School of Biomedical and Molecular Sciences, University of Surrey, Guildford, Surrey GU2 7XH, United Kingdom
J Lipid Res 46:269-80. 2005We studied the long-chain conversion of [U-13C]alpha-linolenic acid (ALA) and linoleic acid (LA) and responses of erythrocyte phospholipid composition to variation in the dietary ratios of 18:3n-3 (ALA) and 18:2n-6 (LA) for 12 weeks in ..
- Conversion of alpha-linolenic acid in humans is influenced by the absolute amounts of alpha-linolenic acid and linoleic acid in the diet and not by their ratioPetra L L Goyens
Department of Human Biology, Maastricht University, Maastricht, Netherlands
Am J Clin Nutr 84:44-53. 2006..Human in vivo data on dietary determinants of alpha-linolenic acid (ALA; 18:3n-3) metabolism are scarce...
- Linoleic acid induces calcium signaling, Src kinase phosphorylation, and neurotransmitter release in mouse CD36-positive gustatory cellsAbdelghani El-Yassimi
Unité Propre de L Enseignement Supérieure Lipides and Signalisation Cellulaire Equipe d Accueil 4183, Dijon 21000, France
J Biol Chem 283:12949-59. 2008..e. linoleic acid (LA)...
- Treatment with dietary trans10cis12 conjugated linoleic acid causes isomer-specific insulin resistance in obese men with the metabolic syndromeUlf Riserus
Department of Public Health and Caring Sciences Geriatrics, Uppsala University, Uppsala, Sweden
Diabetes Care 25:1516-21. 2002Conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) is a group of dietary fatty acids with antiobesity and antidiabetic effects in some animals. The trans10cis12 (t10c12) CLA isomer seems to cause these effects, including improved insulin sensitivity...
- Linoleic acid, a dietary n-6 polyunsaturated fatty acid, and the aetiology of ulcerative colitis: a nested case-control study within a European prospective cohort studyA Tjonneland
University of East Anglia, Norwich, NR4 7TJ, UK
Gut 58:1606-11. 2009Dietary linoleic acid, an n-6 polyunsaturated fatty acid, is metabolised to arachidonic acid, a component of colonocyte membranes...
- FADS genotypes and desaturase activity estimated by the ratio of arachidonic acid to linoleic acid are associated with inflammation and coronary artery diseaseNicola Martinelli
Department of Clinical and Experimental Medicine and the Section of Biology and Genetics, University of Verona, Verona, Italy
Am J Clin Nutr 88:941-9. 2008..FADS2 genes, are key enzymes in polyunsaturated fatty acid (PUFA) metabolism that catalyze the conversion of linoleic acid (LA) into arachidonic acid (AA) and that of alpha-linolenic acid (ALA) into eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA)...
- Influence of dietary fatty acids on endocannabinoid and N-acylethanolamine levels in rat brain, liver and small intestineAndreas Artmann
Department of Pharmacology and Pharmacotherapy, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Copenhagen, Universitetsparken 2, DK 2100 Copenhagen, Denmark
Biochim Biophys Acta 1781:200-12. 2008..The LA-diet increased linoleoylethanolamide and linoleic acid in brain, jejunum and liver...
- Linoleic acid-induced ultra-weak photon emission from Chlamydomonas reinhardtii as a tool for monitoring of lipid peroxidation in the cell membranesAnkush Prasad
Department of Biophysics, Centre of the Region Haná for Biotechnological and Agricultural Research, Faculty of Science, Palacky University, Olomouc, Czech Republic
PLoS ONE 6:e22345. 2011..Lipid peroxidation initiated by addition of exogenous linoleic acid to the cells was monitored by ultra-weak photon emission measured with the employment of highly sensitive ..
- Differential inhibition of fatty acid transport in tissue-isolated steroid receptor negative human breast cancer xenografts perfused in situ with isomers of conjugated linoleic acidRobert T Dauchy
Bassett Research Institute, The Mary Imogene Bassett Hospital, One Atwell Road, Cooperstown, NY 13326, USA
Cancer Lett 209:7-15. 2004In established rodent tumors and human cancer cell lines, conjugated dienoic isomers of linoleic acid (CLA) suppress the growth-stimulating effects of linoleic acid (LA) and its metabolism to the mitogenic agent, 13-..
- Dietary linoleic acid elevates endogenous 2-arachidonoylglycerol and anandamide in Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar L.) and mice, and induces weight gain and inflammation in miceAnita R Alvheim
National Institute of Nutrition and Seafood Research NIFES, PO Box 2029, Nordnes, 5817 Bergen, Norway
Br J Nutr 109:1508-17. 2013Dietary intake of linoleic acid (LA) has increased dramatically during the twentieth century and is associated with a greater prevalence of obesity...
- Plasticity of cytochrome P450 isozyme expression in rat trigeminal ganglia neurons during inflammationShivani Ruparel
Department of Endodontics, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, San Antonio, TX 78229, USA
Pain 153:2031-9. 2012Recently, specific oxidized linoleic acid metabolites (OLAMs) have been identified as transient receptor potential vanilloid 1 (TRPV1) channel agonists that contribute to inflammatory and heat hyperalgesia mechanisms, yet the specific ..
- Conjugated linoleic acid biosynthesis by human-derived Bifidobacterium speciesM Coakley
Teagasc, Dairy Products Research Centre, Moorepark, Fermoy, Co Cork, Ireland
J Appl Microbiol 94:138-45. 2003To assess strains of Lactobacillus, Lactococcus, Pediococcus and Bifidobacterium for their ability to produce the health-promoting fatty acid conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) from free linoleic acid.
- Dietary α-linolenic acid, linoleic acid, and n-3 long-chain PUFA and risk of ischemic heart diseaseMia Sadowa Vedtofte
Research Unit for Dietary Studies at the Institute of Preventive Medicine, Copenhagen, Denmark
Am J Clin Nutr 94:1097-103. 2011..Whether these benefits can be achieved by both α-linolenic acid (ALA, 18:3n-3) and n-3 long-chain PUFA (LC-PUFA) is debatable...
- Recombinant lactobacilli expressing linoleic acid isomerase can modulate the fatty acid composition of host adipose tissue in miceEva Rosberg-Cody
Alimentary Pharmabiotic Centre APC, Cork, Ireland
Microbiology 157:609-15. 2011..of a metabolically active Bifidobacterium breve strain, with ability to form cis-9, trans-11 conjugated linoleic acid (CLA), resulted in modulation of the fatty acid composition of the host, including significantly elevated ..
- TRPM5 is critical for linoleic acid-induced CCK secretion from the enteroendocrine cell line, STC-1Bhavik P Shah
Department of Biology, Utah State University, Logan, Utah 84322, USA
Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 302:C210-9. 2012..Here we show that linoleic acid (LA) elicits membrane depolarization and an intracellular calcium rise in STC-1 cells and that these responses ..
- Comparative toxicity of oleic acid and linoleic acid on Jurkat cellsMaria Fernanda Cury-Boaventura
Department of Physiology and Biophysics, Institute of Biomedical Sciences, University of Sao Paulo, Av Prof Lineu Prestes, 1524, São Paulo CEP 05508 900, SP, Brazil
Clin Nutr 23:721-32. 2004..The comparative toxicity of oleic acid and linoleic acid on Jurkat cells, a human T lymphocyte cell line, and the type of cell death induced by these fatty acids were ..
- Decreasing linoleic acid with constant alpha-linolenic acid in dietary fats increases (n-3) eicosapentaenoic acid in plasma phospholipids in healthy menY Angela Liou
The Nutrition Research Program, Child and Family Research Institute, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada V52 4H40
J Nutr 137:945-52. 2007High linoleic acid (LA) intakes have been suggested to reduce alpha-linolenic acid [ALA, 18:3(n-3)] metabolism to eicosapentaenoic acid [EPA, 20:5(n-3)] and docosahexaenoic acid [DHA, 22:6(n-3)], and favor high arachidonic acid [ARA, 20:..
- Anti-inflammatory effects of polyunsaturated fatty acids in THP-1 cellsGuixiang Zhao
Department of Nutritional Sciences, The Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA, USA
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 336:909-17. 2005The effects of linoleic acid (LA), alpha-linolenic acid (ALA), and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) were compared to that of palmitic acid (PA), on inflammatory responses in human monocytic THP-1 cells...
- What does the measurement of whole-body fatty acid rate of appearance in plasma by using a fatty acid tracer really mean?Bettina Mittendorfer
Department of Internal Medicine and Center for Human Nutrition, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri 63110, USA
Diabetes 52:1641-8. 2003....
- Epidermal FABP (FABP5) regulates keratinocyte differentiation by 13(S)-HODE-mediated activation of the NF-κB signaling pathwayEisaku Ogawa
Department of Dermatology, Shinshu University School of Medicine, Matsumoto, Japan
J Invest Dermatol 131:604-12. 2011..We also determined that incorporation of linoleic acid was significantly reduced in E-FABP(-/-) keratinocytes...
- The chlorophyll metabolite phytanic acid is a natural rexinoid--potential for treatment and prevention of diabetesM F McCarty
Pantox Laboratories, 4622 Santa Fe Street, San Diego, CA 92109, USA
Med Hypotheses 56:217-9. 2001..Administration of hydrolyzed chlorophyll may represent the most cost-effective strategy for raising human tissue levels of phytanic acid...
- Nutritional regulation of porcine bacterial-induced colitis by conjugated linoleic acidRaquel Hontecillas
Veterinary Medical Research Institute, Nutritional Immunology, College of Veterinary Medicine, Ames, IA 50011, USA
J Nutr 132:2019-27. 2002Excessive intake of saturated fatty acids and/or linoleic acid favors the induction of an array of lipid mediators and cytokines enhancing inflammatory responses...
- Epoxy-keto derivative of linoleic acid stimulates aldosterone secretionTheodore L Goodfriend
William S Middleton Memorial Veterans Hospital and Department of Medicine of the University of Wisconsin 53705, USA
Hypertension 43:358-63. 2004..The most readily oxidized fatty acids are the polyunsaturated, and the most abundant of those is linoleic acid. We tested oxidized derivatives of linoleic acid for effects on rat adrenal cells...
- Linoleic acid supplementation of Barth syndrome fibroblasts restores cardiolipin levels: implications for treatmentF Valianpour
Academic Medical Center, University of Amsterdam, Laboratory Genetic Metabolic Diseases, Emma Children s Hospital and Department of Clinical Chemistry, PO Box 22700, 1100 DE Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Lipid Res 44:560-6. 2003..cardiolipin in cultured skin fibroblasts of patients with Barth syndrome (BTHS) can be restored by addition of linoleic acid to growth media...
- Linoleic acid metabolite levels and transepidermal water loss in children with atopic dermatitisChiung Hui Yen
Department of Pediatrics, National Taiwan University Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 100:66-73. 2008..It has been suggested that atopic dermatitis (AD) is associated with impaired delta-6 desaturase activity and the subsequent altered composition of n-6 essential fatty acids (EFAs)...
- Conjugated linoleic acid reduces adiposity and increases markers of browning and inflammation in white adipose tissue of miceWan Shen
Department of Nutrition, University of North Carolina at Greensboro, Greensboro, NC, USA
J Lipid Res 54:909-22. 2013The objective of this study was to examine the mechanism by which conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) reduces body fat. Young male mice were fed three combinations of fatty acids at three doses (0.06%, 0.2%, and 0...
- Conjugated linoleic acid induces apoptosis of murine mammary tumor cells via Bcl-2 lossLihui Ou
Department of Pharmacology and Therapeutics, Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Elm and Carlton Streets, Buffalo, NY 14263, USA
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 356:1044-9. 2007Conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) is a powerful anticancer agent in a number of tumor model systems; however, its precise mechanism of action remains elusive...
- Characterization of linoleic acid nitration in human blood plasma by mass spectrometryEmersom S Lima
Departamento de Analises Clinicas e Toxicologicas, Faculdade de Ciencias Farmaceuticas, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Av Prof Lineu Prestes 580, Cidade Universitaria, Butanta, 05508 900 Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
Biochemistry 41:10717-22. 2002..In this study, we synthesized, characterized, and detected nitrated derivatives of linoleic acid (18:2) in human blood plasma using high-pressure liquid chromatography coupled with electrospray ionization ..
- What are cyclooxygenases and lipoxygenases doing in the driver's seat of carcinogenesis?G Furstenberger
Research Group Eicosanoids and Tumor Development, Deutsches Krebsforschungszentrum Heidelberg, D 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
Int J Cancer 119:2247-54. 2006Substantial evidence supports a functional role for cyclooxygenase- and lipoxygenase-catalyzed arachidonic and linoleic acid metabolism in cancer development...
- Effects of dietary fat source and breed on the carcass composition, n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acid and conjugated linoleic acid content of sheep meat and adipose tissueA M Wachira
ASRC, Harper Adams University College, School of Agriculture, Edgmond, Newport, Shropshire, TF10 8NB, UK
Br J Nutr 88:697-709. 2002..fatty acids increased the content of muscle trans-18 : 1 relative to the control values, but conjugated linoleic acid (cis-9,trans-11-18 : 2) only increased in the muscle of lambs fed linseed...
- The effect of breed, parity, and stage of lactation on conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) in milk fat from dairy cowsJ A Kelsey
Department of Animal Science, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853, USA
J Dairy Sci 86:2588-97. 2003Dairy products are the main source of conjugated linoleic acid (CLA), a functional food component with health benefits...
- Peritoneal metastasis inhibition by linoleic acid with activation of PPARgamma in human gastrointestinal cancer cellsTakamitsu Sasaki
Department of Molecular Pathology, Nara Medical University, Kashihara, Japan
Virchows Arch 448:422-7. 2006The effect on peritoneal metastasis of linoleic acid (LA) was examined using in vitro treatment of cancer cells and mouse peritoneal metastasis models...
- Effects of saturated and unsaturated fatty acids on estimated desaturase activities during a controlled dietary interventionEva Warensjo
Clinical Nutrition and Metabolism, Department of Public Health and Caring Sciences, Uppsala University, Uppsala, Sweden
Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis 18:683-90. 2008..Data on how the markers of desaturase activities are modified by changes in dietary fat quality are lacking and therefore warrant examination...
- Erythrocyte omega-3 fatty acids increase and linoleic acid decreases with age: observations from 160,000 patientsWilliam S Harris
Health Diagnostic Laboratory, Inc, Richmond, VA, United States
Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids 88:257-63. 2013..Higher linoleic acid (n-6) and lower trans FA levels have also been associated with improved CHD outcomes...
- Protective effects of dipeptidyl peptidase-4 (DPP-4) inhibitor against increased β cell apoptosis induced by dietary sucrose and linoleic acid in mice with diabetesJun Shirakawa
Department of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Graduate School of Medicine, Yokohama City University, Yokohama 236 0004, Japan
J Biol Chem 286:25467-76. 2011..Oleic acid and linoleic acid are two major dietary fatty acids, but their effects in diabetes are unclear...
- Linoleic acid induces an EMT-like process in mammary epithelial cells MCF10ARoberto Espinosa-Neira
Departamento de Biologia Celular, CINVESTAV IPN, Av IPN 2508, San Pedro Zacatenco, Mexico, DF 07360, Mexico
Int J Biochem Cell Biol 43:1782-91. 2011..b>Linoleic acid (LA) induces proliferation and invasion in breast cancer cells...
- Quantitative HPLC determination of the antioxidant activity of capsaicin on the formation of lipid hydroperoxides of linoleic acid: a comparative study against BHT and melatoninD E Henderson
Chemistry Department, Quinnipiac College, Hamden, Connecticut 06518, USA
J Agric Food Chem 47:2563-70. 1999..as compared to BHT and melatonin, was determined by the direct measurement of lipid hydroperoxides formed upon linoleic acid autoxidation initiated by AIBN...
- Ethosomes® and transfersomes® containing linoleic acid: physicochemical and technological features of topical drug delivery carriers for the potential treatment of melasma disordersChristian Celia
Department of Nanomedicine, The Methodist Research Institute, 6670 Bertner Avenue, 77030, Houston, TX, USA
Biomed Microdevices 14:119-30. 2012Two vesicular colloidal carriers, ethosomes® and transfersomes® were proposed for the topical delivery of linoleic acid, an active compound used in the therapeutic treatment of hyperpigmentation disorders, i.e...
- Comparison of the antioxidant and cytotoxic activities of Phyllanthus virgatus and Phyllanthus amarus extractsKanchana Poompachee
School of Biology, Institute of Science, Suranaree University of Technology, Nakhon Ratchasima, Thailand
Med Princ Pract 21:24-9. 2012..To determine the antioxidant activity and cytotoxicity of Phyllanthus virgatus crude extract compared to Phyllanthus amarus...
- Maintenance of arachidonic acid and evidence of Δ5 desaturation in cats fed γ-linolenic and linoleic acid enriched dietsLuciano Trevizan
Department of Animal Science, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, Porto Alegre, RS 91540 000, Brazil
Lipids 47:413-23. 2012..Cats are able to maintain plasma and red blood cell ARA when fed a practical diet containing GLA using what appears to be an active Δ5 desaturase enzyme...
- STIM1 regulates calcium signaling in taste bud cells and preference for fat in miceGado Dramane
Unité Propre de L Enseignement Supérieure Lipides and Signalisation Cellulaire Equipe d Accueil 4183, Faculté des Sciences de la Vie, Terre et Environnement, Dijon, France
J Clin Invest 122:2267-82. 2012..We showed that linoleic acid (LA) induced the production of arachidonic acid (AA) and lysophosphatidylcholine (Lyso-PC) by activating ..
- Effect of conjugated linoleic acid on testosterone levels in vitro and in vivo after an acute bout of resistance exerciseFilippo Macaluso
Department of Physiological Science, Stellenbosch University, Stellenbosch, South Africa
J Strength Cond Res 26:1667-74. 2012The purposes of the present study were to investigate the effect of conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) supplementation on testosterone levels in vitro on a cell line derived from Leydig cells (R2C) and in vivo in the blood of physically ..
- Conjugated linoleic acid is a preferential substrate for fatty acid nitrationGustavo Bonacci
Department of Pharmacology and Chemical Biology, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15261, USA
J Biol Chem 287:44071-82. 2012..Herein, conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) is identified as the primary endogenous substrate for fatty acid nitration in vitro and in vivo, ..
- Effect of dietary mixture of gallic acid and linoleic acid on antioxidative potential and quality of breast meat from broilersSamooel Jung
Department of Animal Science and Biotechnology, Chungnam National University, Daejeon 305 764, Republic of Korea
Meat Sci 86:520-6. 2010The effect of dietary mixture of gallic acid and linoleic acid (MGL) on the antioxidative potential and quality of breast meat from broilers was investigated...
- Δ-6 Desaturase substrate competition: dietary linoleic acid (18:2n-6) has only trivial effects on α-linolenic acid (18:3n-3) bioconversion in the teleost rainbow troutJames A Emery
School of Life and Environmental Sciences, Deakin University, Warrnambool, Victoria, Australia
PLoS ONE 8:e57463. 2013..Recent work on rainbow trout has led us to question specifically if linoleic acid (LA, 18∶2n-6) and α-linolenic acid (ALA, 18∶3n-3) (Δ-6 desaturase substrates) are in direct competition ..
- Fish oil in combination with high or low intakes of linoleic acid lowers plasma triacylglycerols but does not affect other cardiovascular risk markers in healthy menCamilla T Damsgaard
Department of Human Nutrition, Faculty of Life Sciences, University of Copenhagen, DK 1958 Frederiksberg C, Denmark
J Nutr 138:1061-6. 2008Both (n-3) long-chain PUFA (LCPUFA) and linoleic acid [LA, 18:2(n-6)] improve cardiovascular disease (CVD) risk factors, but a high-LA intake may weaken the effect of (n-3) LCPUFA...
- Comparison of hypolipidemic activity of synthetic gallic acid-linoleic acid ester with mixture of gallic acid and linoleic acid, gallic acid, and linoleic acid on high-fat diet induced obesity in C57BL/6 Cr Slc miceAera Jang
National Institute of Animal Science, Suwon 441 706, Republic of Korea
Chem Biol Interact 174:109-17. 2008..In the present study, we studied the effect of gallic acid (GA), linoleic acid (LA), mixture of GA and LA (MGL), and chemically synthesized gallic acid-linoleic acid ester (octadeca-9,12-..
- Linoleic acid and butyrate synergize to increase Bcl-2 levels in colonocytesHarmony F Turk
Program in Integrative Nutrition and Complex Diseases, Texas A and M University, College Station, TX, USA
Int J Cancer 128:63-71. 2011..immortalized young adult mouse colonic (YAMC) cells were treated with docosahexaenoic acid (DHA; 22:6n-3) or linoleic acid (LA; 18:2n-6) with or without butyrate. Mice fed a FO and pectin diet had significantly (p < 0...
- trans-10, cis-12 conjugated linoleic acid decreases lipogenic rates and expression of genes involved in milk lipid synthesis in dairy cowsL H Baumgard
Department of Animal Science, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853, USA
J Dairy Sci 85:2155-63. 2002Feeding conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) reduces milk fat synthesis in lactating dairy cows, and the effect has been shown to be specific for the trans-10, cis-12 CLA isomer...
- Production of free conjugated linoleic acid by Lactobacillus acidophilus and Lactobacillus casei of human intestinal originL Alonso
Department of Animal Science and Food and Agricultural Product Research and Technology Center, Oklahoma State University, Stillwater 74078, USA
J Dairy Sci 86:1941-6. 2003A gas chromatographic procedure was used for analysis of conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) isomers cis-9, trans-11-octadecadienoic; trans-10, cis-12 octadecadienoic; and trans-9, trans-11-octadecadienoic (c9t11, t10c12, t9t11) produced by ..
- The 10trans, 12cis isomer of conjugated linoleic acid promotes energy metabolism in OLETF ratsKoji Nagao
Laboratory of Nutrition Biochemistry, Department of Applied Biological Sciences, Saga University, Saga, Japan
Nutrition 19:652-6. 2003We investigated the effect of conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) on energy metabolism in Otsuka Long-Evans Tokushima Fatty (OLETF) rats.
- The serum fatty acids myristic acid and linoleic acid are better predictors of serum cholesterol concentrations when measured as molecular percentages rather than as absolute concentrationsKathryn E Bradbury
Department of Human Nutrition, University of Otago, Dunedin, New Zealand
Am J Clin Nutr 91:398-405. 2010....
- Long-term exposure of INS-1 rat insulinoma cells to linoleic acid and glucose in vitro affects cell viability and function through mitochondrial-mediated pathwaysYa Tuo
Department of Forensic Science, School of Medicine, Xi an Jiaotong University, Xi an, Shaanxi, China
Endocrine 39:128-38. 2011..exposure of INS-1 cells to excess FFAs causes β-cell dysfunction, the effects of the unsaturated FFA linoleic acid (C 18:2, n-6) on rat insulinoma INS-1 β cells was investigated...
- Linoleic acid-induced VCAM-1 expression in human microvascular endothelial cells is mediated by the NF-kappa B-dependent pathwayH J Park
Department of Surgery, University of Kentucky Medical Center, Lexington, KY 40536, USA
Nutr Cancer 41:126-34. 2001..In this study, we examined the effects of linoleic acid on VCAM-1 expression and its transcriptional regulatory mechanism in human microvascular endothelial cells (..
- Linoleic acid induces proinflammatory events in vascular endothelial cells via activation of PI3K/Akt and ERK1/2 signalingBernhard Hennig
Molecular and Cell Nutrition Laboratory, College of Agriculture, University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY 40536 0200, USA
J Nutr Biochem 17:766-72. 2006b>Linoleic acid (18:2n-6), is a major unsaturated fatty acid in the American diet. Linoleic acid is considered to be atherogenic because of its pro-oxidative and proinflammatory properties...
- Linoleic acid, vitamin D and other nutrient intakes in the risk of non-Hodgkin lymphoma: an Italian case-control studyJ Polesel
Unita di Epidemiologia e Biostatistica, Centro di Riferimento Oncologico, Aviano, Italy
Ann Oncol 17:713-8. 2006..Dietary habits have been suggested as a factor related to the increase of non-Hodgkin lymphoma (NHL) incidence in western populations, but the role of individual nutrients is still unclear...
- Prevention of preeclampsia by linoleic acid and calcium supplementation: a randomized controlled trialJ A Herrera
Department of Family Medicine, School of Medicine, Universidad del Valle, Cali, Colombia
Obstet Gynecol 91:585-90. 1998To determine the effect of low doses of linoleic acid and calcium on prostaglandin (PG) levels and the efficacy of this treatment in the prevention of preeclampsia.
- Linoleic acid suppresses colorectal cancer cell growth by inducing oxidant stress and mitochondrial dysfunctionXiaofeng Lu
Department of Food Science and Nutrition, College of Biosystems Engineering and Food Science, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou 310029, P R China
Lipids Health Dis 9:106. 2010..In the present study, we observed that n-6 PUFA linoleic acid (LA) inhibited tumor cell growth at high concentrations (above 300 μM); while low concentrations (100-200 μM)..
- Biodegradable nanoparticles based on linoleic acid and poly(beta-malic acid) double grafted chitosan derivatives as carriers of anticancer drugsZiming Zhao
State Key Laboratory of Genetic Engineering, Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, School of Life Sciences, Fudan University, Shanghai, China
Biomacromolecules 10:565-72. 2009Novel chitosan derivatives carrying linoleic acid (LA) as hydrophobic moieties and poly(beta-malic acid) (PMLA) as hydrophilic moieties (LA/PMLA double grafted chitosan, LMC) were synthesized...
- Estimation of conjugated linoleic acid intake by written dietary assessment methodologies underestimates actual intake evaluated by food duplicate methodologyK L Ritzenthaler
Department of Food Science and Human Nutrition, Washington State University, Pullman, WA 99164-6376, USA
J Nutr 131:1548-54. 2001Conjugated linoleic acids (CLA) are conjugated isomers of linoleic acid, which may promote health with regard to cancer, heart disease, diabetes, bone formation, growth modulation and immunity...
- On the mechanism of palmitic acid-induced apoptosis: the role of a pore induced by palmitic acid and Ca2+ in mitochondriaKonstantin Belosludtsev
Institute of Theoretical and Experimental Biophysics RAS, Pushchino, Moscow Region, 142290, Russia
J Bioenerg Biomembr 38:113-20. 2006..The specific probe for cardiolipin, 10-N-nonyl acridine orange, inhibited formation of this pore...
- Comparative toxicity of oleic and linoleic acid on human lymphocytesMaria F Cury-Boaventura
Department of Physiology and Biophysics, Institute of Biomedical Sciences, Av Prof Lineu Prestes, 1524, CEP 05508 900, University of SÃ£o Paulo, SP, Brazil
Life Sci 78:1448-56. 2006..for parenteral nutrition are mainly composed by long chain triacylglycerol containing a high proportion of linoleic acid (LA) or oleic acid (OA)...
- Resveratrol inhibits human breast cancer cell growth and may mitigate the effect of linoleic acid, a potent breast cancer cell stimulatorH Nakagawa
Department of Pathology II, Kansai Medical University, Moriguchi, Osaka 570-8506, Japan
J Cancer Res Clin Oncol 127:258-64. 2001..Resveratrol (52-74 microM) antagonized the effect of linoleic acid, a potent breast cancer cell stimulator, and suppressed the growth of both ER-positive and -negative cell ..
- Involvement of CYP 2C9 in mediating the proinflammatory effects of linoleic acid in vascular endothelial cellsSaraswathi Viswanathan
Molecular and Cell Nutrition Laboratory, College of Agriculture, University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY 40546 0215, USA
J Am Coll Nutr 22:502-10. 2003Polyunsaturated fatty acids such as linoleic acid are well known dietary lipids that may be atherogenic by activating vascular endothelial cells...
- The gustatory pathway is involved in CD36-mediated orosensory perception of long-chain fatty acids in the mouseDany Gaillard
Physiologie de la Nutrition, UMR INSERM U866, ENSBANA Université de Bourgogne, 1, Esplanade Erasme F 21000, Dijon, France
FASEB J 22:1458-68. 2008..We show here that 1) the induction of an increase in [Ca(2+)]i by linoleic acid is CD36-dependent in taste receptor cells, 2) the spontaneous preference for or conversely conditioned ..
- Conversion of linoleic acid and alpha-linolenic acid to long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acids (LCPUFAs), with a focus on pregnancy, lactation and the first 2 years of lifeRobert A Gibson
Child Nutrition Research Centre, Women s and Children s Health Research Institute, Children, Youth and Women s Health Service, North Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
Matern Child Nutr 7:17-26. 2011..fatty acid composition of the diets of industrialized nations towards increased intake of the n-6 fatty acid linoleic acid (LA, 18:2n-6), largely as a result of the replacement of saturated fats with plant-based polyunsaturated fatty ..
- Lipoxygenases: occurrence, functions and catalysisAlena Liavonchanka
Department of Plant Biochemistry, Albrecht von Haller Institute for Plant Sciences, Georg August University Gottingen, Justus von Liebig Weg 11, D 37077 Gottingen, Germany
J Plant Physiol 163:348-57. 2006..These aspects are reviewed with respect to function of specific LOX forms and on the development of new models on their substrate and product specificity...
- Linoleic acid-grafted chitosan oligosaccharide micelles for intracellular drug delivery and reverse drug resistance of tumor cellsYong Zhong Du
College of Pharmaceutical Science, Zhejiang University, 388 Yuhangtang Road, Hangzhou 310058, PR China
Int J Biol Macromol 48:215-22. 2011Intracellular drug delivery is an important rout to reverse drug resistance of tumor cells. In this study, the linoleic acid (LA)-grafted chitosan oligosaccharide (CSO) was synthesized to construct a micellar delivery system for ..
- Dietary factors and growth and metabolism in experimental tumorsLeonard A Sauer
Bassett Research Institute, Cooperstown, NY 13326, USA
J Nutr Biochem 18:637-49. 2007..b>Linoleic acid (LA), an essential n-6 polyunsaturated fatty acid (PUFA), was identified as an agent in dietary fat that is ..
- Quercetin protects against linoleic acid-induced porcine endothelial cell dysfunctionGudrun Reiterer
Department of Surgery, College of Agriculture, University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY 40546 0215, USA
J Nutr 134:771-5. 2004..The present study focused on the effect of quercetin on linoleic acid-induced oxidative stress and the inflammatory pathways of nuclear factor-kappaB (NF-kappaB) and activator ..
- Elevated dietary linoleic acid increases gastric carcinoma cell invasion and metastasis in miceT Matsuoka
The Laboratory of Molecular Carcinogenesis, National Institute of Environmental Health Science, NIH, Research Triangle Park, NC 27709, USA
Br J Cancer 103:1182-91. 2010..Dietary (n-6)-polyunsaturated fatty acids influence cancer development, but the mechanisms have not been well characterised in gastric carcinoma...
- Colonic anti-inflammatory mechanisms of conjugated linoleic acidJ Bassaganya-Riera
Department of Animal Sciences, Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa 50011, USA
Clin Nutr 21:451-9. 2002Conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) is a mixture of positional (e.g. 7,9; 9,11; 10,12; 11,13) and geometric (cis or trans) isomers of octadecadienoic acid. This compound was first shown to prevent mammary carcinogenesis in murine models...
- Formation of conjugated Delta11Delta13-double bonds by Delta12-linoleic acid (1,4)-acyl-lipid-desaturase in pomegranate seedsEllen Hornung
Institut für Pflanzengenetik und Kulturpflanzenforschung IPK, D 06466 Gatersleben, Germany
Eur J Biochem 269:4852-9. 2002..The expression of the heterologous enzymes resulted in the first case in a significant amount of linoleic acid and in the second case, after linoleic acid supplementation, in formation of punicic acid...
- Age dependence of plasma phospholipid fatty acid levels: potential role of linoleic acid in the age-associated increase in docosahexaenoic acid and eicosapentaenoic acid concentrationsRenate H M de Groot
Department of Psychiatry and Neuropsychology, Centre for Brain and Learning and School for Mental Health and Neuroscience, Maastricht University, The Netherlands
Br J Nutr 102:1058-64. 2009..022). Concentrations of linoleic acid (LA; 18 : 2n-6) were negatively associated with age (P < 0.001; R2 0.061)...
- Impact of linoleic acid intake on arachidonic acid formation and eicosanoid biosynthesis in humansO Adam
Medizinische Klinik, Klinikum Innenstadt, Ludwig Maximilians University Munich, Germany
Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids 79:177-81. 2008Long-chain conversion of linoleic acid (LA) and eicosanoid formation was followed in 6 healthy females who were given for 6 weeks liquid formula diets which contained no arachidonic acid but, for 2 weeks each, a LA supply of 0 energy% (..
- Effects of conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) isomers on lipid levels and peroxisome proliferation in the hamsterE A De Deckere
Unilever Research Vlaardingen, The Netherlands
Br J Nutr 82:309-17. 1999Effects of the conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) isomers cis-9, trans-11 (c9,t11 CLA) and trans-10, cis-12 (t10,c12 CLA) on lipid metabolism and markers of peroxisome proliferation were investigated in hamsters fed on purified diets ..
- Occurrence of singlet oxygen oxygenation of oleic acid and linoleic acid in the skin of live miceYuko Minami
Department of Food Science, Graduate School of Nutrition and Bioscience, The University of Tokushima, Tokushima, Japan
Free Radic Res 42:197-204. 2008..isomers and unconjugated hydroxyoctadecadienoate isomers derived from peroxidized oleic acid and linoleic acid, respectively, which are specific to O(2) ((1)Delta(g))-dependent oxygenation, were detected in the skin of ..
- Trans-10, cis-12 conjugated linoleic acid activates the integrated stress response pathway in adipocytesP Christopher LaRosa
Center for Biotechnology, University of Nebraska, Lincoln, Nebraska 68588 0665, USA
Physiol Genomics 31:544-53. 2007Trans-10, cis-12 conjugated linoleic acid (t10c12 CLA) causes fat loss in mouse white adipose tissue (WAT) and adipocytes in culture...
- Influence of conjugated linoleic acid on body composition and target gene expression in peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor alpha-null miceJ M Peters
Department of Veterinary Science and Center for Molecular Toxicology, Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA 16802, USA
Biochim Biophys Acta 1533:233-42. 2001The mechanisms underlying the beneficial effects of conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) are unknown, but one hypothesis is that they are mediated by the nuclear receptor, peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor (PPARalpha)...
- Linoleic acid-enriched phospholipids act through peroxisome proliferator-activated receptors alpha to stimulate hepatic apolipoprotein A-I secretionNihar R Pandey
Liponex, Inc, 1740 Woodroffe Avenue, Ottawa, Ontario K2G 3R8, Canada
Biochemistry 47:1579-87. 2008..Phospholipids with choline and inositol head groups and one or more linoleic acid (LA) acyl chains were shown to stimulate apoA-I secretion by HepG2 cells and primary human hepatocytes...
- trans-10,cis-12 conjugated linoleic acid prevents adiposity but not insulin resistance induced by an atherogenic diet in hamstersEdurne Simón
Department of Nutrition and Food Science, Faculty of Pharmacy, University of the Basque Country, Paseo de la Univrsidad, 7, 01006 Vitoria, Spain
J Nutr Biochem 17:126-31. 2006While conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) has received a great deal of attention as a supplement that can favourably modify body composition, its potential impact on insulin sensitivity has not received equal attention...
- trans-10,cis-12-Conjugated linoleic acid reduces leptin secretion from 3T3-L1 adipocytesK Kang
Food Research Institute, Department of Food Microbiology and Toxicology, University of Wisconsin-Madison, 1925 Willow Drive, Madison, Wisconsin 53706, USA
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 287:377-82. 2001The trans10,cis12 (t10c12) isomer of conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) has been shown to inhibit heparin-releasable lipoprotein lipase activity, reduce lipid stores in cultured 3T3-L1 adipocytes, and, when fed to mice, reduce body fat gain...
- Leucine/valine residues direct oxygenation of linoleic acid by (10R)- and (8R)-dioxygenases: expression and site-directed mutagenesis oF (10R)-dioxygenase with epoxyalcohol synthase activityUlrike Garscha
Department of Pharmaceutical Biosciences, Uppsala Biomedical Center, SE 751 24 Uppsala, Sweden
J Biol Chem 284:13755-65. 2009..The two homologous positions of prostaglandin H synthase-1, Val-349 and Ser-353, are also critical for the position and stereospecificity of the cyclooxygenase reaction...
- The effect of dietary supplementation with linoleic acid to late gestation ewes on the fatty acid composition of maternal and fetal plasma and tissues and the synthetic capacity of the placenta for 2-series prostaglandinsMatthew Elmes
Reproduction and Development Group, Royal Veterinary College, Hawkshead Lane, North Mymms, Hatfield, Herts, AL9 7TA, UK
Biochim Biophys Acta 1686:139-47. 2004b>Linoleic acid (18:2n-6) is metabolised to arachidonic acid (20:4n-6), the precursor for 2-series prostaglandins (PGs). Increased consumption of 18:2n-6 during pregnancy may thus modify PG synthesis during labour...
- Too much linoleic acid promotes inflammation-doesn't it?Kevin L Fritsche
University of Missouri, Columbia, MO, USA
Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids 79:173-5. 2008Controversy exists over how much linoleic acid (LA) should be consumed in a healthy diet...
- Lipid peroxidation of a human hepatoma cell line (HepG2) after incorporation of linoleic acid, arachidonic acid, and docosahexaenoic acidMina Araseki
Laboratory of Biofunctional Material Chemistry, Division of Marine Bioscience, Graduate School of Fisheries Sciences, Hokkaido University, Hakodate, Japan
Biosci Biotechnol Biochem 69:483-90. 2005Lipid peroxidation of human heptoma cell line, HepG2, after incorporation of linoleic acid (LA), arachidonic acid (AA), and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) was measured with a fluorescent probe and gas chromatography-mass spectrometry (GC-MS) ..
- Antioxidant effects of resveratrol and its analogues against the free-radical-induced peroxidation of linoleic acid in micellesJian Guo Fang
National Laboratory of Applied Organic Chemistry, Lanzhou University, Lanzhou, Gansu 730000, China
Chemistry 8:4191-8. 2002..3,4,5-THS) and 3,4,4'-trihydroxy-trans-stilbene (3,4,4'-THS), against the peroxidation of linoleic acid has been studied in sodium dodecyl sulfate (SDS) and cetyltrimethyl ammonium bromide (CTAB) micelles...
- Effects of conjugated linoleic acid on cleavage of amyloid precursor protein via PPARγYi Chen Li
School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Rm 211, Sun Yat Sen University, 132 Waihuan East Road, Higher Education Mega Center, Guangzhou 510006, Guangdong, China
Neurol Sci 32:1095-101. 2011Conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) plays important roles in physiological conditions. The aim of present study was to explore the effects of CLA on the cleavage of amyloid precursor protein (APP) and the potential mechanism involved...
- Dietary free oleic and linoleic acid enhances neutrophil function and modulates the inflammatory response in ratsHosana Gomes Rodrigues
Department of Physiology and Biophysics, Institute of Biomedical Sciences, Sao Paulo University, Avenida Prof Lineu Prestes, 1524, Butanta, Sao Paulo, SP, 05508 900, Brazil
Lipids 45:809-19. 2010..In conclusion, OLA and LNA modulate several functions of neutrophils and can influence the inflammatory process...
- Caenorhabditis elegans as a model to study the effectiveness and metabolic targets of dietary supplements used for obesity treatment: the specific case of a conjugated linoleic acid mixture (Tonalin)Patricia Martorell
Cell Biology Laboratory, Food Biotechnology Department, Biopolis SL, Paterna, Valencia, 46980, Spain
J Agric Food Chem 60:11071-9. 2012The antiobesity effect of conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) has previously been described in different animal models...
- Inhibition of conjugated linoleic acid on mouse forestomach neoplasia induced by benzo (a) pyrene and chemopreventive mechanismsBing Qing Chen
Department of Nutrition and Food Hygiene, Public Health College, Harbin Medical University, Harbin 150001, Heilongjiang Province, China
World J Gastroenterol 9:44-9. 2003To explore the inhibition of conjugated linoleic acid isomers in different purity (75 % purity c9,t11-, 98 % purity c9,t11- and 98 % purity t10,c12-CLA) on the formation of forestomach neoplasm and chemopreventive mechanisms.
- Attenuation of colonic inflammation by partial replacement of dietary linoleic acid with α-linolenic acid in a rat model of inflammatory bowel diseaseAnupama Tyagi
Department of Lipid Chemistry, National Institute of Nutrition, Indian Council of Medical Research, Hyderabad, India
Br J Nutr 108:1612-22. 2012..This study investigates the impact of varying ratios of dietary linoleic acid (LA, 18 : 2n-6) to α-linolenic acid (ALA, 18 : 3n-3) on the inflammatory response in dextran sulphate ..
- Cholesterolaemic influence of palmitic acid in the sn-1, 3 v. the sn-2 position with high or low dietary linoleic acid in healthy young menC E Forsythe
Alberta Institute for Human Nutrition, Department of Agricultural, Food and Nutritional Science, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada
Br J Nutr 98:337-44. 2007..3 position of dietary TAG or containing 16 : 0 predominantly in the sn-2 position with low or high levels of linoleic acid (18 : 2n-6)...
- Role of Membrane Modifications in the Bioactivities of Conjugated Linoleic AcidsPapasani V Subbaiah; Fiscal Year: 2013..to investigate the mechanism of action of conjugated linoleic acids (CLA), the naturally occurring isomers of linoleic acid (LA), which have several unique physicochemical properties and biological activities...
- Inhibition of S14 by Conjugated Linoleic Acid in Advanced Solid Tumor PatientsRaymond P Perez; Fiscal Year: 2010..In animal models, S14 expression is inhibited by tolerable oral doses of conjugated linoleic acid (CLA), a popular dietary supplement and bioactive food component...
- Fatty acid desaturase activity, fish oil and colorectal cancer chemopreventionHarvey J Murff; Fiscal Year: 2013..FADS1 is the rate-limiting enzyme in the conversion of linoleic acid, the most commonly consumed PUFA, to ARA, and homozygotes for the T allele (population frequency of 13%, ..
- Alterations in membrane composition and function eith calorie restrictionJon J Ramsey; Fiscal Year: 2011..of CR mice will also be fed diets where the fat source is beef tallow (highly saturated), soybean oil (high linoleic acid), or menhaden fish oil (high n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids) to determine if alterations in membrane fatty ..
- Colonic Cytokinetics and Cell Signaling: Dietary EffectsROBERT STEPHEN CHAPKIN; Fiscal Year: 2012..In contrast, dietary lipids rich in n-6 PUFA, e.g., linoleic acid (LA) and arachidonic acid (AA), enhance the development of colon tumors...
- Therapeutic Value of Fish Oil Rx on SLE and Bone Loss in MiceGABRIEL J J FERNANDES; Fiscal Year: 2012..We have demonstrated that ad libitum (AL) food intake with n-6 fatty acids (corn oil) enriched in 18:2 linoleic acid (LA) promotes rapid development of SLE in both strains of mice including bone loss in MRL/lpr mice...
- Alterations in Adipocyte Lipid Metabolism by Trans-10, Cis-12 CLA SupplementationLAURA JANE DEN HARTIGH; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) is a natural dietary trans fatty acid reported to promote weight loss by unknown mechanisms...
- Gut mucosal mast cells are activated by fat absorption: physiology and mechanismPatrick Tso; Fiscal Year: 2013..We hypothesize that the production of CMs, resulting from dietary polyunsaturated long-chain fatty acids (FA) linoleic acid (18:2, n-6) is a potent determinant of the mast cell activation and this action is differently affected by the ..
- Dietary Fat in Ethanol-Induced Intestinal Barrier Dysfunction in ALDIrina Kirpich; Fiscal Year: 2013..g. linoleic acid, LA) promote liver damage...
- Functional role of the Spot 14 gene in dietary regulation of milk fat synthesisKEVIN JOHN HARVATINE; Fiscal Year: 2013..investigating the functional role of Thyroid Hormone Responsive Spot 14 (S14) in trans-10, cis-12 conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) inhibition of milk fat synthesis we observed that the S14 null mouse was hyper-responsive to this ..
- Epigenetics and Nutrition: DNA Methylation, Dietary Intake and CVDAnnette L Fitzpatrick; Fiscal Year: 2012..carbohydrate quality, including glycemix index, glycemic load, and cereal fiber intake;dietary saturated fat, linoleic acid, and oleic acid (energy-corrected);and weekly servings of whole grains, vegetables, fruits, meats, tuna/other ..
- Regulation of Mitochondrial Dysfunction and Diet-Induced Obesity by ALCAT1Yuguang Shi; Fiscal Year: 2012..Like cholesterols, there are "good" and "bad" CL, which is determined by the content of linoleic acid. The side chains of a good CL are dominated by linoleic acid, and a bad CL is enriched with long chain ..
- Nitroalkene-Mediated Vascular Protection and Ischemic StrokeYuqing Eugene Chen; Fiscal Year: 2013..Nitrated oleic acid (OA-NO2) and linoleic acid (LNO2), nitroalkenes formed in nitric oxide (NO)-dependent oxidative reactions, have been found in human ..
- PPAR-gamma and Vascular Lesion FormationYuqing Eugene Chen; Fiscal Year: 2013..acid-derived product, nitrated derivatives of fatty acids (NO2-FA) including nitrated oleic acid (OA- NO2) and linoleic acid (LNO2), as potent endogenous PPAR ? ligands...
- 15-LOX-1 effects on colitis and colon cancerImad Shureiqi; Fiscal Year: 2012..Arachidonic acid is frequently formed from linoleic acid especially in cancer cells...
- Synergistic effects of conjugated linoleic acid and calcium on bone massYeonhwa Park; Fiscal Year: 2009..Conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) may be a good candidate for controlling osteoporosis based on the observation that CLA reduces body fat ..
- Regulation of Mitochondrial Dysfunction in Diet-Induced Obesity by ALCAT-1Yuguang Shi; Fiscal Year: 2013..The biological function of CL is determined by its acyl composition, which is dominated by linoleic acid in healthy metabolic tissues...
- Nitroalkenes and Blood Pressure RegulationYuqing Eugene Chen; Fiscal Year: 2012..Recently, we have reported the identification of nitroalkene derivatives of linoleic acid (LNO2) and oleic acid (OA-NO2) with concentrations exceeding 1 ?M in the human circulation, as potent ..
- Omega-3 Fatty Acid Effects on Pancreatitis and Adenocarcinoma DevelopmentChristopher A Jolly; Fiscal Year: 2013..fed diets enriched in either the omega-3 fatty acid eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) or the omega-6 fatty acid linoleic acid prior to the onset of pancreatitis...
- Conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) promotes inflammation in human adipocytesKRISTINA BROOKE MARTINEZ; Fiscal Year: 2010..One potential anti-obesity compound is conjugated linoleic acid (CLA), sold woridwide for weight loss...
- Development of Anti-OLAM Aptamers as Novel AnalgesicsJohn G Bruno; Fiscal Year: 2012..Oxidized linoleic acid metabolites (OLAMs) have been recently demonstrated to comprise a novel family of endogenous TRPV1 agonists ..
- Defining a mechanism for altered PUFA metabolism in cystic fibrosisOBINNA UMUNAKWE; Fiscal Year: 2013..fatty acid (PUFA) composition in CFTR-expressing tissues, including increased arachidonic acid, and reduced linoleic acid and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA)...
- Functional and Inhibitory Studies of Human LipoxygenaseTheodore R Holman; Fiscal Year: 2012..Lipoxygenases react with a variety of substrates, including arachidonic acid and linoleic acid, producing products with a wide range of functions but the manner in which the catalytic site differentially ..
- Clinical &metabolic effects of altering n-3 &n-6 fatty acids in migraine (RCT)John Douglas Mann; Fiscal Year: 2013..headache (CDH), we found that targeted PUFA modifications - increased dietary n-3 EPA+DHA with reduced n-6 linoleic acid (LA) intake - altered circulating endovanilloids, while reducing headache frequency and improving quality of ..
- Fatty acid supplementation in management of type 2 diabetesMartha Belury; Fiscal Year: 2009..Weight gain induced by TZD could further compromise insulin sensitivity in the long term. Conjugated linoleic acid is a naturally occurring oil (commercially available as Tonalin), that inhibits weight gain and adipose ..
- The Role of the OLAM System in Burn PainDustin Green; Fiscal Year: 2013..Our lab has previously published data revealing a novel class of endogenous TRPV1 agonists, the oxidized linoleic acid metabolites (OLAMs), which are released upon thermal and inflammatory tissue injury...
- Role of Oxidized Linoleic Acid Metabolites in PainKenneth M Hargreaves; Fiscal Year: 2013..we will evaluate the innovative hypothesis that TRPV1 activities are regulated by endogenous oxidized linoleic acid metabolites (OLAMs)...
- Pilot Study on Mammary Expression of Novel DesaturasesALISON VAN EENENNAAM; Fiscal Year: 2005..We hypothesize that lactating delta-12 transgenic females will be able to produce milk containing linoleic acid (18:2, omega-6) derived from dietary oleic acid (18:1), and delta-15 transgenic females will be able to ..
- The Role of Oxidized Linoleic Acid Metabolites in NGF Induced Persistent PainMICHAEL ANDREW ESKANDER; Fiscal Year: 2013..studies suggest that persistent activation of TRPV1 by endogenous oxidized lipid agonists, including oxidized linoleic acid metabolites (OLAMs), may be a peripheral mechanism contributing towards a persistent, long-term nociceptive ..
- OMEGA-3 FATTY ACIDS & HEPATIC LIPID METABOLISMDavid Otto; Fiscal Year: 1990..1) Initial experiments will compare the utilization and short-term metabolic effects of palmitic acid, linoleic acid, eicosapentaenoic acid (C20:5 omega- 3), and docosahexaenoic acid (C22:6 omega-3) in isolated hepatocytes plus ..
- HYDROLYTIC ENZYMES IN THE METABOLISM OF TOXINSBruce Hammock; Fiscal Year: 2007..The hypothesis that biologically activity attributed to epoxides of linoleic acid actually is due to generation of a toxic diol metabolite by the sEH will be tested...
- NUTRITIONAL SIGNIFICANCE OF POLYUNSATURATED FATTY ACIDSVincent Ziboh; Fiscal Year: 1990..the control group of guinea pigs a basal diet containing 2% of olive oil (which contains a minimum amount of linoleic acid to prevent EFA deficiency) while the experimental groups will receive: the basal diet supplemented with either ..
- DIET AND CHRONIC OBSTRUCTIVE PULMONARY DISEASECarlos Camargo; Fiscal Year: 2002..g., fish oils) decrease risk of COPD, whereas high intakes of specific fatty acids (e.g., linoleic acid) increase risk...
- DYNAMICS OF RETINOPATHY AMONG MEXICAN AMERICAN DIABETICSCraig Hanis; Fiscal Year: 1990..of body mass and fat distribution; blood pressure, lipids, fasting blood glucose, glycosylated hemoglobin, and linoleic acid level determinations; ultrasound examination of the carotid arteries; and collection of historical information...
- LIGHT DURING DARKNESS AND BREAST CANCER PROGRESSIONDavid Blask; Fiscal Year: 2004..stimulates breast cancer progression via melatonin suppression and a resultant disinhibition of tumor linoleic acid (LA) uptake and metabolism...
- Polyunsaturated fats & risk of primary cardiac arrestDavid Siscovick; Fiscal Year: 2005..with a lower risk of primary cardiac arrest (PCA); and, 2) red-cell membrane levels of trans-isomers of linoleic acid (trans-18:2) but not trans-isomers of oleic acid (trans-18:1) were associated with an increased risk of PCA...
- ROLE RAS/MAPK PATHWY IN MAM CANC PROMOT BY LINOLEIC ACIDJunxuan Lu; Fiscal Year: 2001..protein kinase (MAPK) signal transduction pathway in mediating the mammary cancer promotional activity of Linoleic acid (LA), a prominent fatty acid present in the typical Western type diets...
- PERIODONTITIS AND SYSTEMIC DISEASE: CONFOUNDING?Philippe Hujoel; Fiscal Year: 2001..and gender, were more likely to have an unhealthy diet (less fruit, less vitamin C, less riboflavin, and less linoleic acid), were more likely to have suffered a nervous breakdown, less likely to exercise, more likely to be overweight,..
- 5-Lipoxygenase inhibition as an adjuvant glioma therapyGlen Stevens; Fiscal Year: 2005..consist of a low-fat vegan diet with severely restricted dietary sources of co-6 polyunsaturated fatty acids, linoleic acid and AA (this is expected to decrease the availability of AA in tumors) and Boswelic, a preparation of ..
- LIPIDS IN THE PATHOGENESIS OF OSTEOARTHROSISLouis Lippiello; Fiscal Year: 1990..metabolism if lipid accumalation by chondrocytes includes the essential fatty acids arachidonic acid or linoleic acid. It is the intent of the P.I...
- Biochemical correlates/cognition/Barth syndromeMICHELE MAZZOCCO; Fiscal Year: 2004..The pathways implicated in this research are ones that may be modified by diet (linoleic acid enriched fats, cholesterol, and phospholipid)...
- DEVELOPING BRAIN: EFFECTS OF NUTRITIONAL IMBALANCESGOVIND DHOPESHWARKAR; Fiscal Year: 1980..Competition between excess dietary oleic acid and limiting amounts of linoleic acid first observed by us (G.A.D. & J.F.M...
- FATTY ACIDS AND TUMOR CHARACTERISTICS IN BREAST CANCERLenore Arab; Fiscal Year: 2000..Polyunsaturated fatty acids of the omega-6 (w6) family, particularly linoleic acid, stimulate tumor proliferation in many cell culture and animal models, and w3 fatty acids can suppress ..
- Role of 12/15-lipoxygenase pathway in implantationMILAN BAGCHI; Fiscal Year: 2006..catalyzes the stereo-specific oxygenation of the 20-carbon polyunsaturated fatty acids, arachidonic acid and linoleic acid, into a complex series of derivatives, HETEs and HODES...
- Melatonin in Prostate Cancer ManagementNihal Ahmad; Fiscal Year: 2006..activation of melatonin-receptor modulates MAPK-pathway via suppression of cAMP that leads to a suppression of linoleic acid (LA) tumor uptake...
- A Pilot Trial of Oral Melatonin Supplementation in Breast Cancer SurvivorsEva Schernhammer; Fiscal Year: 2007..Secondly, melatonin blocks linoleic acid uptake and metabolism to 13- hydroxyoctadecadienoic acid, which, via down-regulation of the mitogen-activated ..
- EFFECT OF DIETARY LECITHIN ON HDL AND OTHER LIPOPROTEINSDonald Small; Fiscal Year: 1980..properties? To answer these questions we will feed large amounts of pure plant derived lecithin rich in linoleic acid, to normal subjects and measure the quantities, composition and physical properties of the HDL fractions ..
- FUNCTIONAL STUDIES OF HUMAN AND SOYBEAN LIPOXYGENASETHEODORE HOLMAN; Fiscal Year: 2001..The first involves a radical based mechanism in which the active site ferric ion oxidizes the 1,4-diene of linoleic acid (LA) to a fatty acid radical...
- CHARACTERIZATION & THERAPY OF NEW FAT OXIDATION DEFECTSCharles Roe; Fiscal Year: 1991..Clinical studies of patients will use deuterium- labelled linoleic acid, a long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acid, to probe the pathway of B-oxidation in vivo...
- CLA Reduces Adipogenesis In Human PreadipocytesMichael McIntosh; Fiscal Year: 2001..antiatherogenic, and hypocholesterolemic properties of a crude mixture of isomers of conjugated linoleic acid (CLA), an unsaturated fatty acid found in beef and dairy foods...
- RENAL EFFECTS OF DIETARY FAT IN EXPERIMENTAL DIABETESJOY LOGAN; Fiscal Year: 1992..Experiments are proposed to examine the effects of two dietary fats, eicosapentaenoic acid and linoleic acid, on renal fatty acid metabolism...
- DIETARY FATTY ACIDS, PPAR ACTIVATED GENES, AND CHDHANNAI CAMPOS; Fiscal Year: 2005..Adipose tissue biomarkers (i.e., alpha-linolenic and linoleic acid) are very good indicators of intake in this population...
- CARDIAC TOXICITY OF PHOSPHOLIPID METABOLITESJOSEPH STIMERS; Fiscal Year: 2001..Leukotoxin is an epoxide ring derivative of linoleic acid, a common component of cell membranes, formed by leukocytes in severely burned patients and during normal ..
- HODES AND ANGIOGENESISEDMUND TONG; Fiscal Year: 1999..has preliminary results using the chick chorioallantoic membrane (CAM), that 13-HODE, a metabolite of linoleic acid, can enhance blood vessel growth...
- Precise Mechanism of Tunneling in Soybean Lipoxygenase 1Matthew Meyer; Fiscal Year: 2003..immediately follows the rate- determining step in the soybean lipoxygenase 1 (LOX-1) catalyzed oxidation of linoleic acid. 2) The effect of the identity of the transferred hydron (2H or 1H) upon secondary kinetic isotope effects (zH ..
- STRUCTURE/FUNCTION OF EPOXIDE HYDROLASEDavid Christianson; Fiscal Year: 2005..and catalyzes the hydrolysis of endogenous fatty acid epoxides such as those derived from arachidonic acid and linoleic acid. The diol products resulting from hydrolysis of these fatty acid epoxides are implicated in pregnancy-induced ..
- HYDROPEROXIDE METABOLISM BY COLONIC MUCOSAARTHUR BULL; Fiscal Year: 1990..in this proposal will investigate the colonic metabolism of 13- hydroperoxyoctadecadienoic acid (derived from linoleic acid) and related compounds in an effort to assess the production of active metabolites from the primary oxidation ..
- LINOLEIC ACID DIOLS--A NEW CLASS OF CYTOTOXIC COMPOUNDSDavid Grant; Fiscal Year: 2000..significance of a unique class of cytotoxic compounds, namely, the diol metabolites of monoepoxides of linoleic acid (leukotoxin and isoleukotoxin)...
- Androgen Pathway Factors and Prostate CancerJohn Witte; Fiscal Year: 2005..prostate cancer risk and consumption of polyunsaturated dietary fat, and the polyunsaturated fatty acids linoleic acid and alpha-linoleic acid. Specific Aim 3...
- Benefits of conjugated linoleic acid on agingGabriel Fernandes; Fiscal Year: 2007..In recent years, there has been a growing interest in conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) as a possible dietary supplement to reduce obesity...
- PUFA AND CANCER PREVENTIONSusan Fischer; Fiscal Year: 1999DESCRIPTION: The principal investigator has found that diets high in linoleic acid (LA) inhibit mouse skin carcinogenesis in the two stage DMBA - initiation, TPA - promotion model, and proposes studies to determine if a lipoxygenase ..
- PROSPECTIVE STUDY OF DIETARY INTAKE AND ASTHMACarlos Camargo; Fiscal Year: 2000..g., linoleic acid) increases risk...
- SKIN CANCER AMONG PREDISPOSED INDIVIDUALSJanet Foote; Fiscal Year: 1999..from baseline food frequency questionnaires (FFQs) will be used to develop exposure groupings for fat, linoleic acid, and percent of calories from fat...