Genomes and Genes
Summary: Macrolide antifungal antibiotic produced by Streptomyces nodosus obtained from soil of the Orinoco river region of Venezuela.
Publications360 found, 100 shown here
- Amphotericin B and its new derivatives - mode of actionM Baginski
Department of Pharmaceutical Technology and Biochemistry, Gdansk University of Technology, Poland
Curr Drug Metab 10:459-69. 2009b>Amphotericin B (AmB) is a well known antifungal and antiprotozoal antibiotic used in the clinic for several decades...
- LeishmaniasisB L Herwaldt
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Division of Parasitic Diseases, Atlanta, GA 30341 3724, USA
Lancet 354:1191-9. 1999..compounds have been the mainstay of antileishmanial therapy for half a century, but lipid formulations of amphotericin B (though expensive and administered parenterally) represent a major advance for treating visceral leishmaniasis...
- Antifungal effect of various essential oils against Candida albicans. Potentiation of antifungal action of amphotericin B by essential oil from Thymus vulgarisR Giordani
Laboratoire de Botanique, Cryptogamie et Biologie Cellulaire, Faculte de Pharmacie, Universite de la Mediterranee, 27 Bd Jean Moulin, 13385 Marseille Cedex 05, France
Phytother Res 18:990-5. 2004..01, 0.1, 0.2, 0.3 microg/mL) and amphotericin B involved a decrease of the MIC 80% of amphotericin B...
- Liposomal amphotericin B as a treatment for human leishmaniasisManica Balasegaram
Drugs for Neglected Diseases Initiative, Geneva, Switzerland
Expert Opin Emerg Drugs 17:493-510. 2012..Liposomal amphotericin B (LAMB), alone or in combination with other drugs, has been extensively studied as VL treatment, but data on ..
- Effectiveness and safety of liposomal amphotericin B for visceral leishmaniasis under routine program conditions in Bihar, IndiaPrabhat K Sinha
Rajendra Memorial Research Institute of Medical Science, Patna, Bihar, India
Am J Trop Med Hyg 83:357-64. 2010..patients at Sadar Hospital in Bihar, India, the effectiveness and safety of 20 mg/kg body weight of liposomal amphotericin B for the treatment of visceral leishmaniasis...
- Limited effectiveness of high-dose liposomal amphotericin B (AmBisome) for treatment of visceral leishmaniasis in an Ethiopian population with high HIV prevalenceKoert Ritmeijer
Public Health Department, Medecins Sans Frontieres, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Clin Infect Dis 53:e152-8. 2011..high mortality with pentavalent antimonials, Médecins Sans Frontières in 2006 began using liposomal amphotericin B (AmBisome) for visceral leishmaniasis (VL) patients in Ethiopia who were severely ill or positive for human ..
- Combination therapy for visceral leishmaniasisJohan van Griensven
Department of Clinical Sciences, Prince Leopold Institute of Tropical Medicine, Antwerp, Belgium
Lancet Infect Dis 10:184-94. 2010..Whether combination therapy could indeed help delay resistance, and how this is best achieved, will only be known in the long term...
- Combination antifungal therapies for HIV-associated cryptococcal meningitis: a randomised trialAnnemarie E Brouwer
Faculty of Tropical Medicine, Mahidol University, Bangkok, Thailand
Lancet 363:1764-7. 2004..In-vitro and animal studies lend support to the use of combinations of amphotericin B, flucytosine, and fluconazole for treatment of cryptococcosis...
- Drug resistance in Indian visceral leishmaniasisS Sundar
Kala Azar Medical Research Centre, Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi, India
Trop Med Int Health 6:849-54. 2001..Despite several disadvantages, amphotericin B is the only drug available for use in these areas and should be used as first-line drug instead of Sb(v)...
- Adjunctive interferon-γ immunotherapy for the treatment of HIV-associated cryptococcal meningitis: a randomized controlled trialJoseph N Jarvis
Desmond Tutu HIV Centre, Institute of Infectious Disease and Molecular Medicine, University of Cape Town, Infectious Diseases Unit, GF Jooste Hospital, Cape Town, South Africa
AIDS 26:1105-13. 2012..We performed a randomized controlled trial to determine whether addition of IFNγ to standard therapy increased the rate of clearance of cryptococcal infection in HIV-associated cryptococcal meningitis...
- High-dose amphotericin B with flucytosine for the treatment of cryptococcal meningitis in HIV-infected patients: a randomized trialTihana Bicanic
Desmond Tutu HIV Centre, Institute of Infectious Disease and Molecular Medicine, University of Cape Town, Cape Town, South Africa
Clin Infect Dis 47:123-30. 2008The standard therapy for human immunodeficiency virus (HIV)-associated cryptococcal meningitis of amphotericin B (AmB; 0...
- Mechanism of amphotericin B resistance in clinical isolates of Leishmania donovaniBidyut Purkait
Department of Molecular Biology, Rajendra Memorial Research Institute of Medical Sciences, Agamkuan, Patna, Bihar, India
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 56:1031-41. 2012The clinical value of amphotericin B, the mainstay therapy for visceral leishmaniasis in sodium antimony gluconate-nonresponsive zones of Bihar, India, is now threatened by the emergence of acquired drug resistance, and a comprehensive ..
- Potential basis for amphotericin B resistance in Aspergillus terreusGerhard Blum
Department of Hygiene, Microbiology and Social Medicine, Innsbruck Medical University, Innsbruck, Austria
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 52:1553-5. 2008This study investigated the basis for intrinsic amphotericin B (AMB) resistance in Aspergillus terreus. The ergosterol content, cell wall composition, and lipid peroxidation level had no influence on AMB resistance...
- IL-10- and TGF-beta-mediated susceptibility in kala-azar and post-kala-azar dermal leishmaniasis: the significance of amphotericin B in the control of Leishmania donovani infection in IndiaSamiran Saha
Infectious Disease and Immunology Division, Indian Institute of Chemical Biology, Kolkata, India
J Immunol 179:5592-603. 2007..the role of the differential decline of IL-10 and TGF-beta in response to sodium antimony gluconate (SAG) and amphotericin B (AmB), the therapeutic success of SAG and AmB in Indian VL, and the significance of IL-10 and TGF-beta in the ..
- Liposomal amphotericin B for visceral leishmaniasis in human immunodeficiency virus-coinfected patients: 2-year treatment outcomes in Bihar, IndiaPrabhat K Sinha
Rajendra Memorial Research Institute of Medical Science, Patna, Bihar
Clin Infect Dis 53:e91-8. 2011..To our knowledge, none have studied the efficacy of liposomal amphotericin B in VL-HIV coinfection...
- Oral miltefosine for Indian visceral leishmaniasisShyam Sundar
Institutes of Medical Sciences, Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi, India
N Engl J Med 347:1739-46. 2002..We performed a clinical trial in India comparing miltefosine with the most effective standard treatment, amphotericin B.
- Comparison of short-course multidrug treatment with standard therapy for visceral leishmaniasis in India: an open-label, non-inferiority, randomised controlled trialShyam Sundar
Kala azar Medical Research Center, Department of Medicine, Institute of Medical Sciences, Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi, India
Lancet 377:477-86. 2011..Improved treatment approaches are needed for visceral leishmaniasis. We assessed the efficacy and safety of three potential short-course combination treatments compared with the standard monotherapy in India...
- Safety and effectiveness of amphotericin B deoxycholate for the treatment of visceral leishmaniasis in UgandaY Mueller
Medecins Sans Frontieres, Swiss Section, Rue de Lausanne 78, 1202 Geneva, Switzerland
Ann Trop Med Parasitol 102:11-9. 2008..was interrupted and all cases of visceral leishmaniasis presenting at the hospital could only be treated with amphotericin B deoxycholate (AmB)...
- Safety and efficacy of miltefosine alone and in combination with sodium stibogluconate and liposomal amphotericin B for the treatment of primary visceral leishmaniasis in East Africa: study protocol for a randomized controlled trialRaymond Omollo
Drugs for Neglected Diseases initiative DNDi Africa, Centre for Clinical Research, Kenya Medical Research Institute, Nairobi, Kenya
Trials 12:166. 2011..such as miltefosine alone or in combinations including miltefosine, sodium stibogluconate (SSG) or liposomal amphotericin B. The aim of this trial is to identify regimen(s) which are sufficiently promising for future trials in East ..
- Wild-type MIC distributions and epidemiological cutoff values for amphotericin B and Aspergillus spp. for the CLSI broth microdilution method (M38-A2 document)A Espinel-Ingroff
VCU Medical Center, Richmond, Virginia, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 55:5150-4. 2011..and amphotericin B. Two sets (CLSI/EUCAST broth microdilution) of available MICs were evaluated: those for A...
- Liposomal amphotericin B for the treatment of visceral leishmaniasisCaryn Bern
Division of Parasitic Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Clin Infect Dis 43:917-24. 2006During the past decade, liposomal amphotericin B has been used with increasing frequency to treat visceral leishmaniasis (VL)...
- Voriconazole compared with liposomal amphotericin B for empirical antifungal therapy in patients with neutropenia and persistent feverThomas J Walsh
National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
N Engl J Med 346:225-34. 2002Patients with neutropenia and persistent fever are often treated empirically with amphotericin B or liposomal amphotericin B to prevent invasive fungal infections. Antifungal triazoles offer a potentially safer and effective alternative.
- Amphotericin B formulations: a comparative review of efficacy and toxicityRichard J Hamill
Section of Infectious Diseases, Department of Medicine, Michael E DeBakey Veterans Affairs Medical Center and Baylor College of Medicine, 2002 Holcombe Blvd, Houston, TX 77030 4211, USA
Drugs 73:919-34. 2013..of the increasing prevalence and changing microbiological spectrum of invasive fungal infections, some form of amphotericin B still provides the most reliable and broad spectrum therapeutic alternative...
- A post-PKS oxidation of the amphotericin B skeleton predicted to be critical for channel formation is not required for potent antifungal activityDaniel S Palacios
Roger Adams Laboratory, Department of Chemistry, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, Urbana, Illinois 61801, USA
J Am Chem Soc 129:13804-5. 2007
- A phase II randomized trial of amphotericin B alone or combined with fluconazole in the treatment of HIV-associated cryptococcal meningitisPeter G Pappas
Div of Infectious Diseases, University of Alabama at Birmingham Medical Center, 1900 University Blvd, THT 229, Birmingham, AL 35294 0006, USA
Clin Infect Dis 48:1775-83. 2009..Therapeutic options for the treatment of central nervous system cryptococcosis are limited, especially in resource-limited settings...
- Allicin enhances the oxidative damage effect of amphotericin B against Candida albicansMaoMao An
Department of Clinical Pharmacology, Chinese People s Liberation Army General Hospital, Beijing, PR China
Int J Antimicrob Agents 33:258-63. 2009b>Amphotericin B (AmB) is the gold standard of antifungal treatment for the most severe invasive mycoses...
- Isolation and characterization of fluconazole- and amphotericin B-resistant Candida albicans from blood of two patients with leukemiaF S Nolte
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 41:196-9. 1997..albicans after receiving fluconazole prophylaxis (400 mg/day) and empiric amphotericin B therapy (0.5 mg/kg of body weight per day)...
- Amphotericin B: time for a new "gold standard"Luis Ostrosky-Zeichner
Division of Infectious Diseases, Department of Internal Medicine, Center for the Study of Emerging and Reemerging Pathogens, University of Texas Medical School, Houston, TX, USA
Clin Infect Dis 37:415-25. 2003When introduced in 1959, amphotericin B deoxycholate (AmBD) was clearly a life-saving drug. Randomized studies demonstrating its efficacy were not thought to be necessary, and it was granted indications for many invasive fungal infections...
- Single-dose liposomal amphotericin B for visceral leishmaniasis in IndiaShyam Sundar
Kala azar Medical Research Center, Department of Medicine, Institute of Medical Sciences, Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi, India
N Engl J Med 362:504-12. 2010..Liposomal amphotericin B is an effective treatment when administered in short courses...
- Apoptosis induced by environmental stresses and amphotericin B in Candida albicansAndrew J Phillips
Department of Molecular and Cell Biology, Institute of Medical Sciences, University of Aberdeen, Foresterhill, AB25 2ZD Aberdeen, Scotland
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 100:14327-32. 2003..albicans in response to environmental stresses (acetic acid and hydrogen peroxide) and an antifungal agent (amphotericin B). Exposure of C. albicans to 40-60 mM acetic acid, 5-10 mM hydrogen peroxide, or 4-8 microg...
- Epidemiology and outcomes of candidemia in 2019 patients: data from the prospective antifungal therapy alliance registryDavid L Horn
Div of Infectious Diseases, Thomas Jefferson University, Ste 210, 211 S 9th St, Philadelphia, PA 19107, USA
Clin Infect Dis 48:1695-703. 2009..Candidemia remains a major cause of morbidity and mortality in the health care setting, and the epidemiology of Candida infection is changing...
- Liposomal amphotericin B: a review of its use as empirical therapy in febrile neutropenia and in the treatment of invasive fungal infectionsMarit D Moen
Wolters Kluwer Health Adis, Auckland, New Zealand
Drugs 69:361-92. 2009Liposomal amphotericin B (AmBisome) is a lipid-associated formulation of the broad-spectrum polyene antifungal agent amphotericin B. It is active against clinically relevant yeasts and moulds, including Candida spp., Aspergillus spp...
- Amphotericin primarily kills yeast by simply binding ergosterolKaitlyn C Gray
Department of Chemistry, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, Urbana, IL 61801, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 109:2234-9. 2012b>Amphotericin B (AmB) is a prototypical small molecule natural product that can form ion channels in living eukaryotic cells and has remained refractory to microbial resistance despite extensive clinical utilization in the treatment of ..
- Resistance to fluconazole and cross-resistance to amphotericin B in Candida albicans from AIDS patients caused by defective sterol delta5,6-desaturationS L Kelly
Krebs Institute for Biomolecular Research, Department of Molecular Biology and Biotechnology, Sheffield University, UK
FEBS Lett 400:80-2. 1997..is that an absence of ergosterol causes cross-resistance to the other major antifungal agent available, amphotericin B. The results also show that growth arrest after fluconazole treatment of C...
- Enhancement of amphotericin B activity against Candida albicans by superoxide radicalYuichi Okamoto
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery II, Nippon Dental University, Niigata 951 8580, Japan
Mycopathologia 158:9-15. 2004This study aimed to examine the involvement of oxidative damage in amphotericin B (AmB) activity against Candida albicans using the superoxide (O2-) generator paraquat (PQ)...
- Treatment of chronic rhinosinusitis with intranasal amphotericin B: a randomized, placebo-controlled, double-blind pilot trialJens U Ponikau
Department of Otorhinolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
J Allergy Clin Immunol 115:125-31. 2005..Chronic rhinosinusitis (CRS) is one of the most common chronic diseases. Its etiology is unknown, and there is a paucity of effective medical treatments...
- Role for cell density in antifungal drug resistance in Candida albicans biofilmsPalani Perumal
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center, Lubbock, TX 79430, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 51:2454-63. 2007..Planktonic yeast cells in RPMI 1640 were susceptible to azole-class drugs, amphotericin B, and caspofungin at 1 x 10(3) cells/ml (standard conditions) using the XTT [2,3-bis(2-methoxy-4-nitro-5-..
- In vitro susceptibility of field isolates of Leishmania donovani to Miltefosine and amphotericin B: correlation with sodium antimony gluconate susceptibility and implications for treatment in areas of endemicityDhiraj Kumar
Institute of Pathology, Safdarjung Hospital Campus, New Delhi, India
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 53:835-8. 2009..results with respect to in vitro susceptibility to the antileishmanial drugs sodium antimony gluconate, amphotericin B, and Miltefosine, raising the possibility of cross-resistance mechanisms operating in the field isolates...
- Efficacy of liposomal amphotericin B (AmBisome) in the treatment of persistent post-kala-azar dermal leishmaniasis (PKDL)A M Musa
Department of Clinical Pathology and Immunology, Institute of Endemic Diseases, University of Khartoum, Sudan
Ann Trop Med Parasitol 99:563-9. 2005..based on leishmaniasis candidate vaccines/BCG with SSG) are still experimental but treatment with liposomal amphotericin B (AmBisome) has already been found effective, albeit in a small number of patients...
- Comparative molecular dynamics simulations of amphotericin B-cholesterol/ergosterol membrane channelsMaciej Baginski
Department of Pharmaceutical Technology and Biochemistry, Chemical Faculty, Technical University of Gdansk, Narutowicza St 11, 80 952 Gdansk, Poland
Biochim Biophys Acta 1567:63-78. 2002b>Amphotericin B (AmB) is a very effective anti-fungal polyene macrolide antibiotic whose usage is limited by its toxicity...
- Treatment of Mediterranean visceral leishmaniasisL Gradoni
Laboratorio di Parassitologia, , Rome, Italy
Bull World Health Organ 73:191-7. 1995..Results of experimental and clinical trials on the efficacy and tolerability of liposomal amphotericin B in laboratory animals and in patients with ZVL are presented, as well as conclusions and recommendations on ..
- Multicenter evaluation of a new disk agar diffusion method for susceptibility testing of filamentous fungi with voriconazole, posaconazole, itraconazole, amphotericin B, and caspofunginA Espinel-Ingroff
Virginia Commonwealth University Medical Center, Richmond, VA 23298 0049, USA
J Clin Microbiol 45:1811-20. 2007..plain Mueller-Hinton [MH] agar), (ii) three incubation times (16 to 24, 48, and 72 h), and (iii) seven disks (amphotericin B and itraconazole 10-microg disks, voriconazole 1- and 10-microg disks, two sources of caspofungin 5-microg ..
- Histoplasmosis: a clinical and laboratory updateCarol A Kauffman
Infectious Diseases Division, Department of Internal Medicine, Ann Arbor Veterans Affairs Healthcare System, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, MI, USA
Clin Microbiol Rev 20:115-32. 2007..Classically, histoplasmosis has been treated with long courses of amphotericin B. Today, amphotericin B is rarely used except for severe infection and then only for a few weeks, followed by ..
- Standardization of an experimental murine model of invasive pulmonary aspergillosisDonald C Sheppard
McGill University, Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 50:3501-3. 2006..evaluated a murine model of aerosol infection in two independent laboratories and found a high level of both intra- and interlaboratory reproducibility of survival, fungal burden over time, and the efficacy of liposomal amphotericin B.
- A randomized clinical trial comparing meglumine antimoniate, pentamidine and amphotericin B for the treatment of cutaneous leishmaniasis by Leishmania guyanensisLeandro Ourives Neves
Tropical Medicine Foundation of Amazonas, Manaus, Brazil
An Bras Dermatol 86:1092-101. 2011..Moreover, treatment outcome may depend on the causative species of Leishmania...
- In vitro susceptibilities of Madurella mycetomatis to itraconazole and amphotericin B assessed by a modified NCCLS method and a viability-based 2,3-Bis(2-methoxy-4-nitro-5- sulfophenyl)-5-[(phenylamino)carbonyl]-2H-tetrazolium hydroxide (XTT) assayAbdalla O A Ahmed
Mycetoma Research Group, Institute of Endemic Diseases, University of Khartoum, Khartoum, Sudan
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 48:2742-6. 2004Susceptibilities of Madurella mycetomatis against amphotericin B and itraconazole in vitro were determined by protocols based on NCCLS guidelines (visual reading) and a 2,3-bis (2-methoxy-4-nitro-5-sulfophenyl)-5-[(phenylamino) carbonyl]-..
- Antifungal susceptibility of Candida biofilms: unique efficacy of amphotericin B lipid formulations and echinocandinsD M Kuhn
Division of Infectious Diseases, Department of Medicine, University Hospitals of Cleveland and Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio 44106, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 46:1773-80. 2002..In addition to conventional agents, we determined if new antifungal agents (triazoles, amphotericin B lipid formulations, and echinocandins) have activities against Candida biofilms...
- Single-dose liposomal amphotericin B in the treatment of visceral leishmaniasis in India: a multicenter studyS Sundar
Kala azar Medical Research Center, Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi, 221 005, India
Clin Infect Dis 37:800-4. 2003Widespread antimony resistance renders conventional amphotericin B the only option for the treatment of visceral leishmaniasis (VL) in North Bihar, India. Because of its excellent safety profile, a large dose (7...
- Gelatin coated hybrid lipid nanoparticles for oral delivery of amphotericin BSanyog Jain
Centre for Pharmaceutical Nanotechnology, Department of Pharmaceutics, National Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and Research, Sector 67, SAS Nagar Mohali, Punjab 160062, India
Mol Pharm 9:2542-53. 2012b>Amphotericin B (AmB) loaded polymer lipid hybrid nanoparticles (AmB-PLNs) comprised of lecithin (anionic lipid) and gelatin (Type A, cationic below its isoelectric point 7.0-9...
- Empirical versus preemptive antifungal therapy for high-risk, febrile, neutropenic patients: a randomized, controlled trialCatherine Cordonnier
Hematology Department, Henri Mondor Teaching Hospital, Assistance Publique Hôpitaux de Paris AP HP and Paris 12 University, Creteil, France
Clin Infect Dis 48:1042-51. 2009..Recent diagnostic improvements may ensure the early diagnosis of potentially invasive fungal disease. Reserving antifungals for this stage may achieve similar survival rates and reduce treatment toxicity and costs...
- Aspergillosis case-fatality rate: systematic review of the literatureS J Lin
Department of Pharmacy Administration, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, IL, USA
Clin Infect Dis 32:358-66. 2001..7%) and for patients with central nervous system or disseminated aspergillosis (88.1%). Amphotericin B deoxycholate and lipid formulations of amphotericin B failed to prevent death in one-half to two-thirds of ..
- Amphotericin B membrane action: role for two types of ion channels in eliciting cell survival and lethal effectsB Eleazar Cohen
Division of External Activities, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, 6700B Rockledge Drive, Bethesda, MD 20982, USA
J Membr Biol 238:1-20. 2010The formation of aqueous pores by the polyene antibiotic amphotericin B (AmB) is at the basis of its fungicidal and leishmanicidal action...
- Amphotericin B increases influenza A virus infection by preventing IFITM3-mediated restrictionTsai Yu Lin
Department of Microbiology and Physiological Systems, University of Massachusetts Medical School, Worcester, MA 01655, USA
Cell Rep 5:895-908. 2013..Here, we establish that the antimycotic heptaen, amphotericin B (AmphoB), prevents IFITM3-mediated restriction of IAV, thereby increasing viral replication...
- Effect of amphotericin B on parasitemia and survival of plasmodium berghei-infected miceBalasaheb Siraskar
Department of Physiology, University of Tubingen, Tubingen, Germany
Cell Physiol Biochem 26:347-54. 2010..b>Amphotericin B has previously been shown to trigger suicidal erythrocyte death or eryptosis, which is characterized by cell ..
- Antifungal activity of amphotericin B conjugated to carbon nanotubesMonica Benincasa
Department of Life Sciences, University of Trieste, Italy
ACS Nano 5:199-208. 2011b>Amphotericin B (AMB) has long been considered the most effective drug in the treatment of serious invasive fungal infections...
- Outcomes of cryptococcal meningitis in Uganda before and after the availability of highly active antiretroviral therapyAndrew Kambugu
Infectious Disease Institute, Makerere University, Kampala Uganda
Clin Infect Dis 46:1694-701. 2008..Cryptococcal meningitis (CM) is the proximate cause of death in 20%-30% of persons with acquired immunodeficiency syndrome in Africa...
- Single-dose liposomal amphotericin B (AmBisome®) for the treatment of visceral leishmaniasis in East Africa: study protocol for a randomized controlled trialTansy Edwards
MRC Tropical Epidemiology Group, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, UK
Trials 12:66. 2011..AmBisome® is an efficacious, safe anti-leishmanial treatment. There is growing interest in its use, either as a single dose or in combination treatments. In East Africa, the minimum optimal single-dosage has not been identified...
- Treatment of Indian visceral leishmaniasis with single or daily infusions of low dose liposomal amphotericin B: randomised trialS Sundar
Kala Azar Medical Research Centre, Banaras Hindu University, Department of Medicine, Institute of Medical Sciences, Varanasi 211005, India
BMJ 323:419-22. 2001To test short course, low dose liposomal amphotericin B as single or daily infusion treatment in Indian visceral leishmaniasis (kala-azar).
- Targeted killing of Leishmania donovani in vivo and in vitro with amphotericin B attached to functionalized carbon nanotubesVijay Kumar Prajapati
Infectious Disease Research Laboratory, Department of Medicine, Institute of Medical Sciences, Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi 221 005, India
J Antimicrob Chemother 66:874-9. 2011This study describes the antileishmanial efficacy of the novel drug formulation of amphotericin B (AmB) attached to functionalized carbon nanotubes (f-CNTs) and compares it with AmB.
- Impact of alternate definitions of fever resolution on the composite endpoint in clinical trials of empirical antifungal therapy for neutropenic patients with persistent fever: analysis of results from the Caspofungin Empirical Therapy StudyB E de Pauw
University Hospital St Radboud, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Transpl Infect Dis 8:31-7. 2006Sensitivity analyses were incorporated in a Phase III study of caspofungin vs. liposomal amphotericin B as empirical antifungal therapy for febrile neutropenic patients to determine the impact of varying definitions of fever resolution on ..
- Preparation, characterization and evaluation of targeting potential of amphotericin B-loaded engineered PLGA nanoparticlesManoj Nahar
Pharmaceutics Research Laboratory, Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Dr Hari Singh Gour University, Sagar, 470003, India
Pharm Res 26:2588-98. 2009The objective of present work was to develop a mannose-anchored, engineered nanoparticulate system for efficient delivery of amphotericin B to macrophages. Furthermore, the effect of spacer on macrophage targeting was also evaluated.
- Short course amphotericin B with high dose fluconazole for HIV-associated cryptococcal meningitisConrad K Muzoora
Department of Medicine, Mbarara University Hospital, Plot 1 Hospital Road, P O Box 1410, Mbarara, Uganda
J Infect 64:76-81. 2012..To define more rapidly effective initial antifungal regimens sustainable in resource-constrained settings...
- Amphotericin B induces trehalose synthesis and simultaneously activates an antioxidant enzymatic response in Candida albicansPilar Gónzalez-Párraga
Area de Microbiologia, Facultad de Biologia, Universidad de Murcia, E 30071, Murcia, Spain
Biochim Biophys Acta 1810:777-83. 2011..To analyse this proposal, the susceptibility to Amphotericin B (AmB) of the C. albicans trehalose-deficient mutant tps1Δ/tps1Δ, was examined.
- Dependence of vacuole disruption and independence of potassium ion efflux in fungicidal activity induced by combination of amphotericin B and allicin against Saccharomyces cerevisiaeAkira Ogita
Department of Biology and Geosciences, Graduate School of Science, Osaka City University, Osaka, Japan
J Antibiot (Tokyo) 63:689-92. 2010Allicin selectively enhances the fungicidal activity of amphotericin B (AmB). It also accelerates AmB-induced vacuole disruption but does not affect AmB-induced potassium ion efflux in Saccharomyces cerevisiae and Candida albicans...
- Proteomic and transcriptomic analysis of Aspergillus fumigatus on exposure to amphotericin BPoonam Gautam
Innate Immunity, National Institute for Research in Reproductive Health, JM Street, Parel, Mumbai, India
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 52:4220-7. 2008b>Amphotericin B (AMB) is the most widely used polyene antifungal drug for the treatment of systemic fungal infections, including invasive aspergillosis...
- Amphotericin B- and fluconazole-resistant Candida spp., Aspergillus fumigatus, and other newly emerging pathogenic fungi are susceptible to basic antifungal peptidesE J Helmerhorst
Department of Oral Biochemistry, Vrije Universiteit, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 43:702-4. 1999..5, a designed histatin analog designated dhvar4, and a peptide from frog skin, PGLa, are active against amphotericin B-resistant Candida albicans, Candida krusei, and Aspergillus fumigatus strains and against a fluconazole-..
- Survival time of HIV-infected patients with cryptococcal meningitisSuthat Chottanapund
Department of Tropical Hygiene, Faculty of Tropical Medicine, Mahidol University, Bangkok, Thailand
J Med Assoc Thai 90:2104-11. 2007..To study survival time and risk factors of mortality among HIV-infected patients who had cryptococcal meningitis...
- Amphotericin B nasal lavages: not a solution for patients with chronic rhinosinusitisFenna A Ebbens
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, Academic Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Allergy Clin Immunol 118:1149-56. 2006..On the basis of this hypothesis, intranasal treatment with amphotericin B should benefit patients with CRS. Data from 2 uncontrolled and 2 controlled trials are conflicting, however.
- Injectable paromomycin for Visceral leishmaniasis in IndiaShyam Sundar
Institute of Medical Sciences, Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh, India
N Engl J Med 356:2571-81. 2007..Safe, effective, and affordable new therapies are needed. We conducted a randomized, controlled, phase 3 open-label study comparing paromomycin, an aminoglycoside, with amphotericin B, the present standard of care in Bihar, India.
- Role of Fks1p and matrix glucan in Candida albicans biofilm resistance to an echinocandin, pyrimidine, and polyeneJeniel E Nett
Department of Medicine, University of Wisconsin, 600 Highland Ave, H4 572 Clinical Sciences Center, Madison, WI 53792, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 54:3505-8. 2010..Reduction of FKS1 expression rendered biofilms more susceptible to amphotericin B, anidulafungin, and flucytosine...
- Amphotericin B: spectrum and resistanceDavid Ellis
Mycology Unit, Women s and Children s Hospital, North Adelaide 5006, Australia
J Antimicrob Chemother 49:7-10. 2002b>Amphotericin B is a polyene macrolide antibiotic derived from the actinomycete Streptomyces nodosus...
- A randomized, double-blind, multicenter study of caspofungin versus liposomal amphotericin B for empiric antifungal therapy in pediatric patients with persistent fever and neutropeniaJohan A Maertens
Acute Leukemia and Stem Cell Transplantation Unit, Department of Hematology, University Hospitals Leuven, Campus Gasthuisberg, Leuven, Belgium
Pediatr Infect Dis J 29:415-20. 2010..However, little is known about the role of echinocandins and liposomal amphotericin B (L-AmB) for empiric antifungal therapy in pediatric patients.
- Enhancement of the fungicidal activity of amphotericin B by allicin, an allyl-sulfur compound from garlic, against the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae as a model systemAkira Ogita
Institute for Health and Sport Sciences, Osaka City University, 3 3 138 Sugimo to, Sumiyoshi ku, Osaka 558 8585, Japan
Planta Med 72:1247-50. 2006b>Amphotericin B (AmB) is a representative antibiotic for the control of serious fungal infections, and its fungicidal activity was greatly enhanced by allicin, an allyl-sulfur compound from garlic...
- The vacuole-targeting fungicidal activity of amphotericin B against the pathogenic fungus Candida albicans and its enhancement by allicinHasibagan Borjihan
Department of Biology and Geosciences, Graduate School of Science, Osaka City University, Sumiyoshi ku, Osaka, Japan
J Antibiot (Tokyo) 62:691-7. 2009In this study, the vacuole disruptive activity was evaluated as a cause of amphotericin B (AmB) lethality against the pathogenic fungus Candida albicans in terms of its enhancement by allicin, an allyl-sulfur compound from garlic...
- Rabbit model of Candida albicans biofilm infection: liposomal amphotericin B antifungal lock therapyMatthew K Schinabeck
Center for Medical Mycology and Mycology Reference Laboratory, Department of Dermatology, University Hospitals of Cleveland and Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio 44106, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 48:1727-32. 2004..albicans biofilms and show that antifungal lock therapy with liposomal amphotericin B is an effective treatment strategy for these infections...
- Sensitivities of Leishmania species to hexadecylphosphocholine (miltefosine), ET-18-OCH(3) (edelfosine) and amphotericin BPatricia Escobar
Department of Infectious and Tropical Diseases, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, Keppel Street, London WC1E 7HT, UK
Acta Trop 81:151-7. 2002..5-37.1 microM against amastigotes. Amphotericin B deoxycholate was used as the standard drug and gave submicromolar ED(50) values in all assays; L...
- Breakthrough zygomycosis after voriconazole administration among patients with hematologic malignancies who receive hematopoietic stem-cell transplants or intensive chemotherapyS M Trifilio
Department of Pharmacy, Division of Hematology Oncology, Northwestern Memorial Hospital, Chicago, IL, USA
Bone Marrow Transplant 39:425-9. 2007..b>Amphotericin B was the most commonly prescribed anti-fungal therapy. Overall mortality was 73%...
- Standardized method for in vitro antifungal susceptibility testing of Candida albicans biofilmsG Ramage
Department of Microbiology, Division of Infectious Diseases, The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, Texas 78245, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 45:2475-9. 2001..albicans strains grown as biofilms against amphotericin B and fluconazole and the increased resistance of C...
- Voriconazole versus amphotericin B for primary therapy of invasive aspergillosisRaoul Herbrecht
Département d Hématologie et d Oncologie, Hopital de Hautepierre, Strasbourg, France
N Engl J Med 347:408-15. 2002Voriconazole is a broad-spectrum triazole that is active against aspergillus species. We conducted a randomized trial to compare voriconazole with amphotericin B for primary therapy of invasive aspergillosis.
- Safety and efficacy of high-dose infusions of a preformed amphotericin B fat emulsion for treatment of Indian visceral leishmaniasisS Sundar
Kala azar Medical Research Center, Department of Medicine, Institute of Medical Sciences, Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi, India
Am J Trop Med Hyg 80:700-3. 2009b>Amphotericin B deoxycholate is used as a first-line drug for visceral leishmaniasis (VL) in India. Its major drawbacks are prolonged hospitalization of treated patients and toxicity...
- Amphotericin B nephrotoxicityGilbert Deray
Nephrology Department, Pitie Salpetriere Hospital, Boulevard de l Hopital, Paris 750013, France
J Antimicrob Chemother 49:37-41. 2002The use of amphotericin B limited by dose-dependent nephrotoxicity...
- Apoptosis in Candida biofilms exposed to amphotericin BRawya S Al-Dhaheri
Division of Infection and Immunity, Faculty of Biomedical and Life Sciences, University of Glasgow, Glasgow G12 8QQ, UK
J Med Microbiol 59:149-57. 2010..the existence of persisters and apoptosis in Candida biofilms subjected to different concentrations of amphotericin B. Fluorescein diacetate staining revealed the presence of persisters in biofilms of one of two strains of ..
- Unresponsiveness to AmBisome in some Sudanese patients with kala-azarMarius Mueller
Medecins Sans Frontieres, Plantage Middenlaan 14, 1018 DD Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 101:19-24. 2007..are currently registered for visceral leishmaniasis: sodium stibogluconate (SSG) as first line and liposomal amphotericin B (AmBisome) as second line...
- Determinants of disease presentation and outcome during cryptococcosis: the CryptoA/D studyFrancoise Dromer
Unité de Mycologie Moléculaire, Centre National de Référence Mycologie et Antifongiques, CNRS URA3042, Institut Pasteur, Paris, France
PLoS Med 4:e21. 2007....
- Amphotericin B and caspofungin resistance in Candida glabrata isolates recovered from a critically ill patientMikkel Krogh-Madsen
Department of Clinical Microbiology, H S Hvidovre Hospital, Hvidovre, Denmark
Clin Infect Dis 42:938-44. 2006Consecutive Candida glabrata isolates recovered from a patient in an intensive care unit were resistant to amphotericin B (minimum inhibitory concentration, up to 32 mu g/mL; determined by Etest [AB Biodisk])...
- Overview of the lipid formulations of amphotericin BBertrand Dupont
Group Hospitalier Necker Enfants Malades, 149 rue de Sevres, Paris Cedex 15, 75743, France
J Antimicrob Chemother 49:31-6. 2002..b>Amphotericin B has a broad spectrum and has remained the drug of choice for life-threatening invasive fungal infections...
- Mortality and costs of acute renal failure associated with amphotericin B therapyD W Bates
Division of General Medicine, Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
Clin Infect Dis 32:686-93. 2001To assess the mortality and resource utilization that results from acute renal failure associated with amphotericin B therapy, 707 adult admissions in which parenteral amphotericin B therapy was given were studied at a tertiary-care ..
- Management of Candida species infections in critically ill patientsPhilippe Eggimann
Medical Clinic II and Intensive Care Unit, and the Infection Control Programme, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Geneva Hospitals, Geneva, Switzerland
Lancet Infect Dis 3:772-85. 2003..Among critically ill patients, azole prophylaxis is effective and is not associated with acquisition of resistance; it must be restricted to highly selected groups of patients at high risk only...
- New treatment approach in Indian visceral leishmaniasis: single-dose liposomal amphotericin B followed by short-course oral miltefosineShyam Sundar
Kala azar Medical Research Center, Department of Medicine, Banaras Hindu University, Institute of Medical Sciences, Varanasi, India
Clin Infect Dis 47:1000-6. 2008..of a new approach to combination therapy in visceral leishmaniasis (also known a kala-azar), we treated Indian patients with a single infusion of liposomal amphotericin B (L-AmB), followed 1 day later by short-course oral miltefosine.
- SolEmuls-novel technology for the formulation of i.v. emulsions with poorly soluble drugsR H Muller
Department of Pharmaceutical Technology, Biotechnology and Quality Management, Free University Berlin, Kelchstrasse 31, 12169 Berlin, Germany
Int J Pharm 269:293-302. 2004..g. amphotericin B. For achieving this, up to now organic solvents were required...
- Potentiation of antifungal activity of amphotericin B by essential oil from Cinnamomum cassiaR Giordani
Laboratoire de Botanique, Cryptogamie et Biologie Cellulaire, Faculte de Pharmacie, Universite de la Mediterranee, 27 Bd Jean Moulin, 13385 Marseille Cedex 05, France
Phytother Res 20:58-61. 2006The antifungal activity of the essential oil from Cinnamomum cassia, alone or combined with amphotericin B, a drug widely used for most indications despite side-effects was investigated...
- Antifungal pharmacodynamic characteristics of fluconazole and amphotericin B tested against Candida albicansM E Klepser
College of Pharmacy, University of Iowa, Iowa City 52242 1112, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 41:1392-5. 1997Time-kill curves were determined for three isolates of Candida albicans tested against fluconazole and amphotericin B at multiples of the MIC...
- A double-blind, randomized, controlled trial of amphotericin B colloidal dispersion versus amphotericin B for treatment of invasive aspergillosis in immunocompromised patientsRaleigh Bowden
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, WA, USA
Clin Infect Dis 35:359-66. 2002We report a randomized, double-blind, multicenter trial in which amphotericin B colloidal dispersion (ABCD [Amphotec]; 6 mg/kg/day) was compared with amphotericin B (AmB; 1.0-1...
- Antifungal susceptibility testing of Exophiala spp.: a head-to-head comparison of amphotericin B, itraconazole, posaconazole and voriconazoleAnnette W Fothergill
University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, San Antonio, Texas 78229 3900, USA
Med Mycol 47:41-3. 2009..we tested 160 clinical isolates against amphotericin B, itraconazole, posaconazole, and voriconazole in a head-to-head comparison...
- Treatment of visceral leishmaniasis in HIV-infected patients: a randomized trial comparing meglumine antimoniate with amphotericin B. Spanish HIV-Leishmania Study GroupF Laguna
Servicio de Enfermedades Infecciosas, Centro Nacional de Investigacion Clinica, Instituto de Salud Carlos III, Madrid, Spain
AIDS 13:1063-9. 1999..Visceral leishmaniasis is common in patients with HIV infection living in endemic areas, but the most effective and safe treatment remains unknown...
- Formulation and characterization of amphotericin B-chitosan-dextran sulfate nanoparticlesWaree Tiyaboonchai
Department of Pharmaceutical Technology, Naresuan University, Pitsanulok 65000, Thailand
Int J Pharm 329:142-9. 2007A new nanoparticulate delivery system for amphotericin B (AmB) has been developed by means of the polyelectrolyte complexation technique...
- Poor efficacy of amphotericin B-based therapy in CNS aspergillosisStefan Schwartz
Medizinische Klinik III, Charite Campus Benjamin Franklin, Freie Universitat, Berlin, Germany
Mycoses 50:196-200. 2007..assessed retrospectively the outcome in 17 patients with definite or probable CNS aspergillosis treated with amphotericin B alone (n = 15) or in combination with 5-fluorocytosine (n = 3) or itraconazole (n = 2)...
- Real-time reverse transcription-PCR quantification of cytokine mRNA expression in golden Syrian hamster infected with Leishmania infantum and treated with a new amphotericin B formulationS Rama Iñiguez
Departamento de Parasitologia, Facultad de Farmacia, Universidad Complutense, Plaza de Ramón y Cajal s n, Ciudad Universitaria, 28040 Madrid, Spain
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 50:1195-201. 2006..in the golden Syrian hamster Mesocricetus auratus infected with Leishmania infantum and treated with amphotericin B (AMB) formulated in microspheres made of human serum albumin (HSA)...
- Enhancing drug absorption using lipids: a case study presenting the development and pharmacological evaluation of a novel lipid-based oral amphotericin B formulation for the treatment of systemic fungal infectionsKristina Sachs-Barrable
Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC, Canada V6T 1Z3
Adv Drug Deliv Rev 60:692-701. 2008..b>Amphotericin B (AmpB) is one example of a well established, highly efficacious drug that has a 50 year history of intravenous ..
- A prospective randomized controlled trial comparing PCR-based and empirical treatment with liposomal amphotericin B in patients after allo-SCTH Hebart
Department of Hematology Oncology, Internal Medicine II, Eberhard Karls University, Tuebingen, Germany
Bone Marrow Transplant 43:553-61. 2009We compared the efficacy and safety of empirical plus PCR-based vs empirical liposomal amphotericin B treatment after Allo-SCT...
- Combinations of antifungal agents in therapy--what value are they?Manuel Cuenca-Estrella
Servicio de Micologia, Centro Nacional de Microbiologia, Instituto de Salud Carlos III, Ctra Majadahonda Pozuelo km 2, 28220 Majadahonda, Madrid, Spain
J Antimicrob Chemother 54:854-69. 2004..However, combination therapy could be an alternative to monotherapy for patients with invasive infections that are difficult to treat, such as those due to multi-resistant species and for those who fail to respond to standard treatment...
- Triazole hypersensitivity in Candida albicansNeeraj Chauhan; Fiscal Year: 2009..the wild type levels of sensitivity to other antifungals such as miconazole and ketoconazole (imidazoles), amphotericin B, caspofungin, 5-FC, and a variety of other inhibitors such as Congo red, calcofluor white, hygromycin and ..
- Genetic and Evolutionary Basis of Fungal Drug ResistanceZhenglong Gu; Fiscal Year: 2013..Surprisingly, the same mutation confers YJM789 drug resistance to another antifungal drug (Amphotericin B, AmB), which is a quantitative trait also determined by other genetic factors...
- Manipulation of Host Angiogenesis as a Therapeutic Strategy against Invasive PulmDimitrios P Kontoyiannis; Fiscal Year: 2010..of treating IA with pro-angiogenic growth factors, alone or in combination with the antifungal drug amphotericin B (AMB)...
- Novel Antifungal Therapeutic ApproachesJoseph Heitman; Fiscal Year: 2012..Antifungal agents were limited to amphotericin B, flucytosine, and azoles, but now the candins, second-generation azoles, and lipid based amphotericin ..
- Development of novel therapeutics for a neglected tropical disease leishmaniasisABHAY R contact SATOSKAR; Fiscal Year: 2010..Antimonials (Glucantime(tm) and Pentostam(tm)), amphotericin B, and miltefosine are used to treat leishmaniasis...
- Prevention of Invasive Candidiasis: PK, Safety, and Neurodevelopmental OutcomesDaniel K Benjamin; Fiscal Year: 2012..and Walsh) of other antifungal agents in the nursery including pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic studies of amphotericin B, liposomal amphotericin B products, anidulafungin, and micafungin This research will show that fluconazole ..
- Discovering a Combination Therapeutic Approach to Use in the Treatment of CryptocMitchell W Mutz; Fiscal Year: 2013..Lack of access to the recommended first-line therapeutic combination of amphotericin B/flucytosine (AmB/flucytosine) is a key component of the high mortality rate in the developing world...
- Co-Delivery of Antifungal Agents: Toxicity and Efficacy in Invasive CandidiasisGlen S Kwon; Fiscal Year: 2013..Towards enabling in vivo PD studies, we made exciting progress in combination delivery (co-delivery) of amphotericin B (AmB) with other antifungal agents via self-assembled polymers, fulfilling requirements in solubility, safety, ..
- THERAPY AGAINST RECALCITRANT C. albicans INFECTIONThomas A Dahl; Fiscal Year: 2012..Our in vitro studies showed that amphotericin B or miconazole applied even at high, topical concentrations are not effective against a mature biofilm of C...
- Trial for the Optimal Timing of HIV Therapy after Cryptococcal MeningitisDavid R Boulware; Fiscal Year: 2013..The optimal time to start HIV therapy is unknown. This is a definitive strategy trial to determine if early initiation of HIV therapy while hospitalized results in superior long term survival. ..
- Myocotic Ulcer Treatment TrialThomas M Lietman; Fiscal Year: 2013..Fungal ulcers tend to have very poor outcomes with the commonly used treatments, natamycin and amphotericin B. There has been only a single randomized trial of anti-fungal therapy for mycotic keratitis, and no new ocular ..
- A Computer Modeling Approach to Create an Antifungal to Improve the Treatment ofMitchell W Mutz; Fiscal Year: 2013..For decades, Amphotericin B (AmB) has been the mainstay therapeutic for CM...
- Improving Diagnostics and Neurocognitive Outcomes in HIV/AIDS-related MeningitisDavid R Boulware; Fiscal Year: 2013..3) We will determine risk factors for poor neurocognitive outcomes in persons with cryptococcosis. ..
- Multi-center studies to improve diagnosis and treatment of pediatric candidiasisTheoklis Zaoutis; Fiscal Year: 2013..of pediatric invasive candidiasis to compare the effectiveness of current pediatric antifungal treatments (amphotericin B, triazoles, and echinocandins)...
- Natural Product Treatments for LeishmaniasisDennis E Kyle; Fiscal Year: 2013..is most often treated by parenteral administration of toxic drugs such as pentavalent antimonials and amphotericin B, and drug resistance is becoming a problem...
- Targeting DHFR to Design Antimicrobial AgentsAmy C Anderson; Fiscal Year: 2012..glabrata is inherently resistant to several of the available antifungal therapeutics, including amphotericin B and the azole compounds. Therapeutics to treat C. glabrata infections are critically necessary...
- UV, CD, and NMR studies of Amphotericin B in nanoscale discoidal lipid bilayersTHOMAS MICHAEL ANDERSON; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): The clinically vital, but severely nephrotoxic, antifungal Amphotericin B has a unique mechanism of action;rather than bind to a macromolecular target, it self-assembles into membrane ion channels in ..
- THE YEAST ERGOSTEROL PATHWAYMartin Bard; Fiscal Year: 2007..Two of the most widely used antifungal classes, the polyenes (amphotericin B) target plasma membrane-bound sterols and the azoles (fluconazole, and itraconazole) target the cytochrome ..
- Amphotericin B AnalogsCharles Hutchinson; Fiscal Year: 2009..b>Amphotericin B (AMB) continues to be an important drug for invasive aspergillosis, candidemia, mucormycosis, fusariosis and ..
- YEAST ERGOSTEROL PATHWAY--NEW ANTIFUNGAL TARGET SITESMartin Bard; Fiscal Year: 1999..Two of the most widely used antifungal classes, the polyenes (amphotericin B) target plasma membrane-bound sterols and the new classes of azoles (ketoconazole, fluconazole, and ..
- Determining the Architectures and Activities of Polyketide Synthase ModulesADRIAN TRISTAN KEATINGE-CLAY; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- ANTI-AIDS NUCLEOSIDE CONJUGATES OF ETHER PHOSPHOLIPIDSCHUNG HONG; Fiscal Year: 1992..sonicated solution of the proposed conjugates in which the anti-HIV agents include AL-721, rifabutin, and amphotericin B methyl ester...
- Antifungal drugs: Beta(1,6)-glucan synthesis inhibitorsClaude Selitrennikoff; Fiscal Year: 2003..Currently-available drugs include polyenes (e.g., amphotericin B) that complex with fungal-membrane ergosterol, a number of azoles and allylamines that inhibit steps in the ..
- The glyoxylate cycle as a new target for antifungalsClaude Selitrennikoff; Fiscal Year: 2003..Currently-available drugs include polyenes (e.g., amphotericin B) that complex with fungal-membrane ergosterol, a number of azoles and allylamines that inhibit steps in the ..
- Antifungal Drug Susceptibility of Cryptococcus neoformansRobert Larsen; Fiscal Year: 2009..Presently selection of which anti-fungal agent (amphotericin B, fluconazole or the two combined), the dose and the duration of therapy are guided by clinical judgment from ..
- A NOVEL TARGET FOR THE DEVELOPMENT OF ANTIFUNGAL AGENTSCorey Nislow; Fiscal Year: 2001..In addition, the two accepted therapies, amphotericin B and the azoles, have limited effectiveness and toxic side-effects...
- ARTIFICIAL POLYMERIC LIPOPROTEINS AS DRUG CARRIERSGLEN KWON; Fiscal Year: 2002..This concept will be explored for amphotericin B (AmB), the key drug for systemic fungal diseases...
- GENETIC & MOLECULAR BIOLOGY OF VIRULENCE IN C NEOFORMANSJohn Perfect; Fiscal Year: 2004Cryptococcus neoformans causes a life threatening meningoencephalitis and despite treatments with amphotericin B and newer triazoles the management of this infection remains problematic...
- INTERACTION OF H CAPSULATUM WITH ALVEOLAR MACROPHAGESimon Newman; Fiscal Year: 1999..with disseminated histoplasmosis have a high rate of relapse even after apparently successful therapy with amphotericin B. The pulmonary alveolar monocyte/macrophage (AM) is the first line of defense following inoculation of Hc into ..
- Actin-binding proteins as novel antifungal targetsCorey Nislow; Fiscal Year: 2001..The two accepted therapies, amphotericin B and the azoies, have limited effectiveness and toxic side-effects...
- DRUG-INDUCED SHIVERING--EFFECTS OF A NURSING MEASUREBARBARA HOLTZCLAW; Fiscal Year: 1990This experimental study tests a nursing intervention to reduce drug-induced shivering related to amphotericin B. Predictors and consequences of shivering will be sought from patient responses and physiological correlates...
- Synthesis and Study of Amphotericin B DerivativesMartin D Burke; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Inhalable amphotericin B nanodisk therapy for pulmonary aspergillosisTrudy Forte; Fiscal Year: 2005..The current first-line treatment for aspergillosis is amphotericin B (ampB) but it is both highly nephrotoxic and insoluble...
- HUMAN NEUTROPHIL RC-RECEPTOR-MEDIATED PHAGOCYTOSISHattie Gresham; Fiscal Year: 1990..Certain agents (aliphatic alcohols, amphotericin B, tumor-promoting phorbol esters, and chemotactic peptides) which modify the microenvironment of the PMN Fc ..
- Development of a low cost formulation of amphotericin BSHING CHANG; Fiscal Year: 2009..and simply reconstituted formulation as an alternative for the current reference treatment, liposomal amphotericin B (AmB). The project is based on use of narrow molecular weight polymers to which AmB is bound...
- Molecular Umbrella-Amphotericin B ConjugatesSteven L Regen; Fiscal Year: 2013..will test this hypothesis, rigorously, using a variety of conjugates made from molecular umbrellas and amphotericin B (AmB) in (i) model membrane studies, (ii) cytotoxicity, hemolytic and antifungal measurements, and (iii) in ..
- CHEMICAL STUDIES OF NOVEL SULFUR CONTAINING ANTIBIOTICSEloy Rodriguez; Fiscal Year: 1993..and UV radiation against Candida albicans, and Aspergillus fumigatus at concentrations comparable to those of amphotericin B. The compounds are also active against nematodes and a variety of retroviruses...
- Inhibitors of transcription of fungal glucan synthaseClaude Selitrennikoff; Fiscal Year: 2003..Current treatments for fungal infections are limited by few therapeutic options; these include amphotericin B, which interacts with membrane sterols, and a variety of azoles and allylamines that inhibit membrane sterol ..
- ANTISENSE INHIBITION OF FUNGAL GROWTHCarol Enderlin; Fiscal Year: 1993..We expect that antisense oligonucleotides may be important, novel therapeutic agents directed specifically against fungi...
- ENDOGENOUS FUNGAL ENDOPHTHALMITISDan Jones; Fiscal Year: 1980..Intravenous amphotericin B, intravenous amphotericin B methyl ester, and oral ketoconazole reduce the severity of C...
- STEREOSELECTIVE SYNTHESIS OF CYCLIC ETHERSP Evans; Fiscal Year: 2002..The gamberic acids A-D represent the most potent antifungal agents known, with activity exceeding that of amphotericin B by over three orders of magnitude, making them extremely important targets.
- SCREENING OF MARINE ORGANISMS FOR ANTIFUNGAL ACTIVITYClaude Selitrennikoff; Fiscal Year: 1999..Current treatments for fungal infections are limited to a few therapeutic options, primarily amphotericin B which interacts with membrane sterols and azoles which inhibit membrane-sterol biosynthesis...
- MECHANISMS OF AMPHOTERICIN B NEPHROTOXICITYRobert Branch; Fiscal Year: 1999..This proposal is a request for continued support for studies using amphotericin B as a model of a drug whose clinical utility as an anti- fungal and parasitic agent is curtailed by its ..
- A TARGETED AMPHOTERICIN B PRODRUG FOR ANTIFUNGAL THERAPYSEAN O MALLEY; Fiscal Year: 2000..An antibody-directed enzyme prodrug activation system will be developed for activation of the novel prodrug of amphotericin B prepared in Phase I research...
- Oral AmB for the treatment of fungal infectionRaphael Mannino; Fiscal Year: 2003..The SBIR Phase I advanced the development of a new formulation of amphotericin B (AmB) that has low toxicity and allows the oral delivery of AmB...
- IDENTIFYING TOR'S MODE OF ACTIONSiegfried Detke; Fiscal Year: 2002..TOR, an atypical multi drug resistance factor, elicits resistance to toxic nucleoside as well as to Pentostam, Amphotericin B and a number of other structurally unrelated compounds...
- NOVEL AMPHOTERICIN B NANOPARTICLES FOR SYSTEMIC MYCOSISJames Woiszwillo; Fiscal Year: 2001..this technology by optimizing the formulation to maximize incorporation efficiency, stability and safety of amphotericin B. Amphotericin B is the only drug effective against severe systemic fungal infections in immunocompromised ..
- A NOVEL SCREEN FOR INHIBITORS OF FUNGAL GPI-ANCHORINGClaude Selitrennikoff; Fiscal Year: 2002..Current treatments include Amphotericin B and a variety of azoles that inhibit membrane-sterol biosynthesis...
- COCHLEATE DRUG DELIVERY AGAINST FUNGAL INFECTIONSLeila Zarif; Fiscal Year: 1999..The present application will focus on investigating the properties of Amphotericin B cochleate formulations on the growth of the microorganisms in vitro and in vivo...
- Novel Antimicrobials: Salivary MUC7 PeptidesLIBUSE BOBEK; Fiscal Year: 2007..Altogether, these efforts attempt to move the MUC7 peptides toward the long-range goal of clinical application. ..
- Synthetic Reactions Catalyzed by Transition MetalsEi ichi Negishi; Fiscal Year: 2010..Being considered for this purpose are discodermolide, hennoxazole A, zincophorin, roselipins, apoptolidin, nafuredin, caIlystatin A, milbemycin p3, calyculin A, and amphotericin B.
- Molecular Umbrellas as Membrane TransportersSTEVEN REGEN; Fiscal Year: 2009..phospholipid bilayers, (ii) testing the feasibility of creating molecular umbrella conjugates of Amphotericin B that exhibit high critical micelle concentrations, high hydrolytic stability and high membrane selectivity, ..
- GENETIC TRANSFER IN MAMMALIAN SOMATIC CELLSSOL GOODGAL; Fiscal Year: 1980..this end we have screened a large number of both spontaneous and induced mutants for ouabain resistance, amphotericin B resistance, and growth in minimal medium (auxotrophic markers)...
- HOST IMMUNOREGULATION OF ANTILEISHMANIAL CHEMOTHERAPYHenry Murray; Fiscal Year: 2005..therapeutic strategies in kala-azar, the two logical complementary approaches are (a) new drug development (amphotericin B (AmB), miltefosine) and (b) identification of immunologic mechanisms which can be regulated and translated ..
- Host Immunoregulation of Response to Antileishmanial ChemotherapyHenry Murray; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Novel Antifungal Strategies for Lethal MucormycosisAshraf Ibrahim; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Treatment of Fungal Infections with ATAK CellsAshraf Ibrahim; Fiscal Year: 2004..Furthermore, the genetic construct targeting ATAK cells to Candida can easily be adapted to any other pathogen against which a MAb has been raised. ..
- QUALITY OF LIFE AND RELATIONSHIPS AFTER BMTJohn Wingard; Fiscal Year: 2001..This information is essential to subsequent planning and implementation of relevant, well-aimed interventions to minimize psychosocial disruption and enhance growth in future BMT recipients and their loved ones. ..
- Calcineurin and Aspergillus fumigatus PathogenesisWILLIAM STEINBACH; Fiscal Year: 2008..I will also test the non-immunosuppressive calcineurin inhibitor analogs to decrease the total level of immunosuppression and therefore increase the overall antifungal efficacy of exploiting the calcineurin pathway. ..
- Prevention/diagnosis/fungal infections/transplantationBarbara Alexander; Fiscal Year: 2005..These aims will be met through a series of clinical trials. The safety and tolerability of inhaled Amphotericin B Lipid Complex (ABLC) will be determined in the allogeneic BMT population through a non-randomized open-label ..
- Transplant Associated Infection Surveillance NetworkPeter Pappas; Fiscal Year: 2008..Finally, the establishment of a bank will be invaluable in the development and validation of newer diagnostic assays. ..
- Adrenergic Antagonism During Murine CandidiasisBrad Spellberg; Fiscal Year: 2008..For these reasons, the potential for adrenergic antagonism to act as an effective immunotherapy is highly meritorious of investigation in this training application. ..