- Roll-to-roll production of 30-inch graphene films for transparent electrodes
SKKU Advanced Institute of Nanotechnology and Center for Human Interface Nano Technology, Sungkyunkwan University, Suwon 440 746, Korea
Nat Nanotechnol 5:574-8. 2010
..Graphene electrodes were incorporated into a fully functional touch-screen panel device capable of withstanding high strain...
- Design and self-assembly of two-dimensional DNA crystals
Computation and Neural Systems, California Institute of Technology, Pasadena 91125, USA
Nature 394:539-44. 1998
..The patterned crystals have been visualized by atomic force microscopy...
- High-resolution crystal structure of an engineered human beta2-adrenergic G protein-coupled receptor
Department of Molecular Biology, Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Science 318:1258-65. 2007
..Cholesterol, a necessary component for crystallization, mediates an intriguing parallel association of receptor molecules in the crystal lattice...
- Self-assembly at all scales
George M Whitesides
Department of Chemistry and Chemical Biology, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA 02138, USA
Science 295:2418-21. 2002
..The concept of self-assembly is used increasingly in many disciplines, with a different flavor and emphasis in each...
- Automated structure solution with the PHENIX suite
Peter H Zwart
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, Berkeley, CA, USA
Methods Mol Biol 426:419-35. 2008
..The algorithms are tightly linked and made easily accessible to users through the PHENIX Wizards and the PHENIX GUI...
- Structure of a beta1-adrenergic G-protein-coupled receptor
MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology, Hills Road, Cambridge CB2 0QH, UK
Nature 454:486-91. 2008
- Fusion partner toolchest for the stabilization and crystallization of G protein-coupled receptors
Department of Molecular Biology, The Scripps Research Institute, 10550 North Torrey Pines Road, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Structure 20:967-76. 2012
- Self-assembly and mineralization of peptide-amphiphile nanofibers
J D Hartgerink
Department of Materials Science and Engineering, Medical School, Northwestern University, 2225 North Campus Drive, Evanston, IL 60208, USA
Science 294:1684-8. 2001
..This alignment is the same as that observed between collagen fibrils and hydroxyapatite crystals in bone...
- Chemical screening methods to identify ligands that promote protein stability, protein crystallization, and structure determination
Structural Genomics Consortium, University of Toronto, 100 College Street, Toronto, ON, Canada M5G 1L5
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103:15835-40. 2006
..The 3D structures of human therapeutic targets are enabling for drug discovery. However, their purification and crystallization remain rate determining...
- Crystallizing membrane proteins using lipidic mesophases
Membrane Structural and Functional Biology Group, University of Limerick, Limerick, Ireland
Nat Protoc 4:706-31. 2009
..Methods for harvesting microcrystals are also described. The time required to prepare the protein-loaded mesophase and to set up a crystallization plate manually is about 1 h.
- Crystal structure of the human beta2 adrenergic G-protein-coupled receptor
Søren G F Rasmussen
Department of Molecular and Cellular Physiology, Stanford University School of Medicine, 279 Campus Drive, Stanford, Palo Alto, California 94305, USA
Nature 450:383-7. 2007
..These differences may be responsible for the relatively high basal activity and structural instability of the beta2AR, and contribute to the challenges in obtaining diffraction-quality crystals of non-rhodopsin GPCRs...
- Structure and function of an irreversible agonist-β(2) adrenoceptor complex
Daniel M Rosenbaum
Department of Molecular and Cellular Physiology, Stanford University School of Medicine, 279 Campus Drive, Stanford, California 94305, USA
Nature 469:236-40. 2011
..However, the crystallization of agonist-bound GPCRs has been hampered by modest affinities and rapid off-rates of available agonists...
- Matrix Gla protein inhibits ectopic calcification by a direct interaction with hydroxyapatite crystals
School of Dentistry, University of Western Ontario, London, Canada
J Am Chem Soc 133:18406-12. 2011
..The strong correlation between simulated adsorption and measured growth inhibition indicates that MD provides a powerful tool to predict the effects of proteins and peptides on crystal formation...
- Nanocrystal technology, drug delivery and clinical applications
Jens Uwe A H Junghanns
Department of Pharmaceutical Technology, Biotechnology and Quality Management, Free University of Berlin, Berlin, Germany
Int J Nanomedicine 3:295-309. 2008
..Examples of products in the development pipelines (clinical phases) are presented and the benefits for in vivo administration of drug nanocrystals are summarized in an overview...
- Stable, soluble T-cell receptor molecules for crystallization and therapeutics
Jonathan M Boulter
Avidex Ltd 57 Milton Park, Abingdon, Oxon OX14 4RX, UK
Protein Eng 16:707-11. 2003
..Here we report the engineering of soluble human TCRs suitable for crystallization studies and potentially for in vivo therapeutic use.
- Photonic crystal surface waves for optical biosensors
Valery N Konopsky
Anal Chem 79:4729-35. 2007
..The detection limit is approximately 20 fg of the analyte on the probed spot of the surface...
- Crystal structure of the 30 S ribosomal subunit from Thermus thermophilus: purification, crystallization and structure determination
W M Clemons
MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology, Hills Road, Cambridge, CB2 2QH, UK
J Mol Biol 310:827-43. 2001
We describe the crystallization and structure determination of the 30 S ribosomal subunit from Thermus thermophilus...
- Maltose-neopentyl glycol (MNG) amphiphiles for solubilization, stabilization and crystallization of membrane proteins
Pil Seok Chae
Department of Chemistry, University of Wisconsin Madison, Madison, Wisconsin, USA
Nat Methods 7:1003-8. 2010
..as manifested in multiple membrane protein systems, leading to enhanced structural stability and successful crystallization. MNG amphiphiles are promising tools for membrane protein science because of the ease with which they may be ..
- Seeds to crystals
Department of Cell and Molecular Biology, Biomedical Center, Uppsala University, Box 596, 751 24, Uppsala, Sweden
J Struct Biol 142:66-76. 2003
..The implementation of seeding in high-throughput crystallization, robotics, and other emerging technologies is also discussed.
- The structure of the potassium channel: molecular basis of K+ conduction and selectivity
D A Doyle
Laboratory of Molecular Neurobiology and Biophysics and the Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Rockefeller University, 1230 York Avenue, New York, NY 10021, USA
Science 280:69-77. 1998
..The architecture of the pore establishes the physical principles underlying selective K+ conduction...
- Increased osteoblast adhesion on nanophase metals: Ti, Ti6Al4V, and CoCrMo
Thomas J Webster
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Purdue University, 1296Patter Building, West Lafayette, IN 47905, USA
Biomaterials 25:4731-9. 2004
- The role of neutral lipid nanospheres in Plasmodium falciparum haem crystallization
John M Pisciotta
Malaria Research Institute, W Harry Feinstone Department of Molecular Microbiology and Immunology, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, 615 N Wolfe Street, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Biochem J 402:197-204. 2007
..Haem crystallization is the target of the widely used antimalarial quinoline drugs...
- Activation of liver X receptor sensitizes mice to gallbladder cholesterol crystallization
Center for Pharmacogenetics, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA 15261, USA
Hepatology 47:1331-42. 2008
..of nuclear receptor liver X receptor (LXR) sensitized mice to lithogenic diet-induced gallbladder cholesterol crystallization, which was associated with dysregulation of several hepatic transporters that efflux cholesterol, ..
- Detergents for the stabilization and crystallization of membrane proteins
Gilbert G Prive
Division of Cancer Genomics and Proteomics, Ontario Cancer Institute, Department of Medical Biophysics, University of Toronto, 101 College Street, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Methods 41:388-97. 2007
..Empirical "stability screens" can be helpful in choosing which detergents, and which detergent concentrations, may be optimal for a given system...
- Unlocking the eukaryotic membrane protein structural proteome
John Kyongwon Lee
Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics, University of California, San Francisco, S 412C Genentech Hall, 600 16th Street, San Francisco, CA 94158 2517, United States
Curr Opin Struct Biol 20:464-70. 2010
..The first of these appeared in 2005. Our review addresses the special issues that pertain to the expression of eukaryotic and human membrane proteins, and recent advances in the tool kit for crystallization and structure determination.
- Replication by human DNA polymerase-iota occurs by Hoogsteen base-pairing
Deepak T Nair
Structural Biology Program, Department of Physiology and Biophysics, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, Box 1677, 1425 Madison Avenue, New York, New York 10029, USA
Nature 430:377-80. 2004
- Structural characterization of the molecular platform for type III secretion system assembly
Calvin K Yip
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of British Columbia, 2146 Health Sciences Mall, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada V6T 1Z3
Nature 435:702-7. 2005
..We propose that the YscJ/PrgK protein family functions as an essential molecular platform for TTSS assembly...
- A new matrix protein family related to the nacreous layer formation of Pinctada fucata
Laboratory of Cell Biology, Faculty of Environmental Health, Azabu University, 1 17 71 Fuchinobe, Sagamihara, Japan
FEBS Lett 462:225-9. 1999
..The in vitro studies of the crystallization clarified that N16 induced aragonite crystals when fixed on the substrate but inhibited crystal formation ..
- Insulin crystallization depends on zinc transporter ZnT8 expression, but is not required for normal glucose homeostasis in mice
Gene Expression Unit, Department Molecular Cell Biology, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Herestraat 49, 3000 Leuven, Belgium
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 106:14872-7. 2009
..Interaction between the ZnT8(-/-) genotype and diet to induce diabetes is a model for further studies of the mechanism of disease of human ZNT8 gene mutations...
- Crystal structure of the malaria vaccine candidate apical membrane antigen 1
Juan Carlos Pizarro
Unité d Immunologie Structurale, Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique, URA 2185, Institut Pasteur, 25 rue du Docteur Roux, 75724 Paris, France
Science 308:408-11. 2005
..These results are likely to aid vaccine and drug design...
- Bicelle crystallization: a new method for crystallizing membrane proteins yields a monomeric bacteriorhodopsin structure
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, University of California, Los Angeles, CA 90095 1570, USA
J Mol Biol 316:1-6. 2002
..0 A resolution. In all previous bR structures the protein is organized as a parallel trimer, but in the crystals grown from bicelles, the individual bR subunits are arranged in an antiparallel fashion...
- Matthews coefficient probabilities: Improved estimates for unit cell contents of proteins, DNA, and protein-nucleic acid complex crystals
Katherine A Kantardjieff
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, California State University CSU Fullerton, Fullerton, California 92834 6866, USA
Protein Sci 12:1865-71. 2003
- In situ proteolysis for protein crystallization and structure determination
Structural Genomics Consortium, University of Toronto, 100 College Street, Toronto, Ontario M5G 1L5, Canada
Nat Methods 4:1019-21. 2007
..suitable for structure determination by adding a protease (chymotrypsin or trypsin) digestion step to crystallization trials of 55 bacterial and 14 human proteins that had proven recalcitrant to our best efforts at ..
- From molecular to macroscopic via the rational design of a self-assembled 3D DNA crystal
Department of Chemistry, New York University, New York 10003, USA
Nature 461:74-7. 2009
..The data demonstrate clearly that it is possible to design and self-assemble a well-ordered macromolecular 3D crystalline lattice with precise control...
- Early stages of crystallization of calcium carbonate revealed in picoliter droplets
Christopher J Stephens
School of Physics and Astronomy, University of Leeds, Leeds LS2 9JT, United Kingdom
J Am Chem Soc 133:5210-3. 2011
..CaCO(3) crystallization proceeds significantly more slowly in the droplets than in the bulk, allowing the mechanism of ..
- N-terminal T4 lysozyme fusion facilitates crystallization of a G protein coupled receptor
Department of Molecular and Cellular Physiology, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, California, United States of America
PLoS ONE 7:e46039. 2012
..This approach adds to the protein engineering strategies that enable crystallographic studies of GPCRs alone or in complex with a signaling partner...
- Transfer-free electrical insulation of epitaxial graphene from its metal substrate
Sincrotrone Trieste, S S 14 Km 163 5, 34149 Trieste, Italy
Nano Lett 12:4503-7. 2012
..We follow the reaction steps by X-ray photoemission spectroscopy and demonstrate the electrical insulation using a nanoscale multipoint probe technique...
- Kinetic control of catalytic CVD for high-quality graphene at low temperatures
Robert S Weatherup
Department of Engineering, University of Cambridge, Cambridge CB3 0FA, UK
ACS Nano 6:9996-10003. 2012
..This also enables a route to the controlled formation of Bernal stacked bi- and few-layered graphene. The model is relevant to all catalyst materials and can readily serve as a general process rationale for optimized graphene CVD...
- Synthesis of oxidation-resistant cupronickel nanowires for transparent conducting nanowire networks
Aaron R Rathmell
Department of Chemistry, Duke University, 124 Science Drive, Box 90354 Durham, North Carolina 27708, United States
Nano Lett 12:3193-9. 2012
..These properties, and the fact that copper and nickel are 1000 times more abundant than indium or silver, make cupronickel nanowires a promising alternative for the sustainable, efficient production of transparent conductors...
- Antifreeze protein from freeze-tolerant grass has a beta-roll fold with an irregularly structured ice-binding site
Adam J Middleton
Department of Biomedical and Molecular Sciences, Queen s University, Kingston, Ontario, Canada K7L 3N6
J Mol Biol 416:713-24. 2012
- Oxygen switching of the epitaxial graphene-metal interaction
CNR Institute for Complex Systems, Via Fosso del Cavaliere 100, 00133 Roma, Italy
ACS Nano 6:9551-8. 2012
- High-throughput protein purification and quality assessment for crystallization
Midwest Center for Structural Genomics, Biosciences Division, Argonne National Laboratory, Argonne, IL 60439, USA
Methods 55:12-28. 2011
- Oxygen-aided synthesis of polycrystalline graphene on silicon dioxide substrates
Beijing National Laboratory for Molecular Sciences, Institute of Chemistry, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing 100190, PR China
J Am Chem Soc 133:17548-51. 2011
..The method avoids the need for either a metal catalyst or a complicated and skilled postgrowth transfer process and is compatible with current silicon processing techniques...
- Advanced protein crystallization using water-soluble ionic liquids as crystallization additives
Institute of Biochemical Engineering, Munich University of Technology, Boltzmannstr 15, 85748, Garching, Germany
Biotechnol Lett 29:1703-11. 2007
..of five water-soluble, halogen-free, alkylammonium-based ionic liquids (ILs) as additives for advanced crystallization of lysozyme was investigated...
- On the mechanisms involved in biological heme crystallization
Instituto de Bioquimica Medica, Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
J Bioenerg Biomembr 43:93-9. 2011
..One of these adaptations is the crystallization of heme into the dark-brown pigment hemozoin (Hz)...
- Role of renal epithelial cells in the initiation of calcium oxalate stones
Saeed R Khan
Department of Pathology, College of Medicine, University of Florida, Gainesville 32610 0275, USA
Nephron Exp Nephrol 98:e55-60. 2004
Normal urinary environment is inhibitory to crystallization. Occasional crystals are internalized by the renal epithelial cells and sequestered to lysosomes or externalized into the interstitium to be handled by the inflammatory cells...
- Optimized purification of a heterodimeric ABC transporter in a highly stable form amenable to 2-D crystallization
Universite Joseph Fourier, Institut de Biologie Structurale, Grenoble, France
PLoS ONE 6:e19677. 2011
..Electron microscopy of negatively stained crystals allowed the calculation of a projection map at 20 Å resolution revealing that BmrC/BmrD might assemble into oligomers in a lipidic environment...
- Oriented attachment and mesocrystals: non-classical crystallization mechanisms based on nanoparticle assembly
Max Planck Institute of Colloids and Interfaces, Colloid Chemistry, Research Campus Golm, 14424, Potsdam, Germany
Phys Chem Chem Phys 8:3271-87. 2006
In this review, we highlight particle based crystallization pathways leading to single crystals via mesoscopic transformation...
- GPCR engineering yields high-resolution structural insights into beta2-adrenergic receptor function
Daniel M Rosenbaum
Department of Molecular and Cellular Physiology, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
Science 318:1266-73. 2007
..To overcome the structural flexibility of the beta2AR and to facilitate its crystallization, we engineered a beta2AR fusion protein in which T4 lysozyme (T4L) replaces most of the third intracellular ..
- Cooperation of phosphates and carboxylates controls calcium oxalate crystallization in ultrafiltered urine
Department of Dentistry, Schulich School of Medicine and Dentistry, University of Western Ontario, London, ON, N6A 5C1, Canada
Urol Res 39:327-38. 2011
..To this end, crystallization was induced by addition of CaOx solution to ultrafiltered human urine containing either human kidney OPN (..
- Antioxidant properties of polysaccharide from the brown seaweed Sargassum graminifolium (Turn.), and its effects on calcium oxalate crystallization
Chao Yan Zhang
Shanghai Key Laboratory of Functional Materials Chemistry, Research Center of Analysis and Testing, East China University of Science and Technology, Shanghai 200237, China
Mar Drugs 10:119-30. 2012
..SGP) on calcium oxalate crystallization, and determined its antioxidant activities...
- Organic-organic heteroepitaxy of red-, green-, and blue-emitting nanofibers
Institute of Semiconductor and Solid State Physics, Johannes Kepler University Linz, Austria
ACS Nano 4:6244-50. 2010
..Triband emission in the red, green, and blue is generated in nanofibers with thicker sexithiophene coverage, where layers of co-oriented crystals are separated by green-emitting molecular sheets...
- Understanding the physical properties that control protein crystallization by analysis of large-scale experimental data
W Nicholson Price
Northeast Structural Genomics Consortium, Columbia University, New York, New York 10027, USA
Nat Biotechnol 27:51-7. 2009
b>Crystallization is the most serious bottleneck in high-throughput protein-structure determination by diffraction methods...
- Effects of crystallization of polyhydroxyalkanoate blend on surface physicochemical properties and interactions with rabbit articular cartilage chondrocytes
Department of Biological Sciences and Biotechnology, Tsinghua University, Beijing 100084, China
Biomaterials 26:3537-48. 2005
..In this study, PHBHHx was found to be completely miscible with PHB in their blends. Crystallization behavior of these polyester blends played an important role in determination of the surface physicochemical ..
- Counterdiffusion methods for macromolecular crystallization
Juan Ma García-Ruiz
Laboratorio de Estudios Cristalografiocos, CSIC University of Granada, Instituto Andaluz de Ciencias de la Tierra, 18002 Granada, Spain
Methods Enzymol 368:130-54. 2003
- DNA A-tract bending in three dimensions: solving the dA4T4 vs. dT4A4 conundrum
National Center for Biomolecular Research, NMR Laboratory, Faculty of Science, Masaryk University, Kotlarska 2, CZ 611 37 Brno, Czech Republic
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 101:1177-82. 2004
..Results of gel electrophoretic mobility studies are consistent with the higher-order structure of the DNA and furthermore depend on the nature of the monovalent cation present in the running buffer...
- Crystal structure of the S-adenosylmethionine synthetase ternary complex: a novel catalytic mechanism of S-adenosylmethionine synthesis from ATP and Met
Department of Molecular Biosciences, University of Kansas, 1200 Sunnyside Avenue, Lawrence, Kansas 66045 7534, USA
Biochemistry 43:1821-31. 2004
..Pajares, M. A., Hermoso, J. A., Guillerm, D., Guillerm, G., and Sanz-Aparicio. J. (2003) J. Mol. Biol. 331, 407] is substantially different from our mechanism...
- Gold nanocages: bioconjugation and their potential use as optical imaging contrast agents
Department of Chemistry, Department of Bioengineering, Department of Chemical Engineering, Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 98195, USA
Nano Lett 5:473-7. 2005
..26 x 10(-15) m2, suggesting their potential use as a new class of contrast agents for optical imaging. When bioconjugated with antibodies, the gold nanocages have also been demonstrated for specific targeting of breast cancer cells...
- Structural basis for calcium sensing by GCaMP2
Department of Molecular Medicine, College of Veterinary Medicine, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853, USA
Structure 16:1817-27. 2008
..These studies provide a structural basis for the rational design of improved Ca(2+)-sensitive probes...
- Overexpression, purification and crystallization of bacteriocin LlpA from Pseudomonas sp. BW11M1
Annabel H A Parret
Centre of Microbial and Plant Genetics, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, 3001 Heverlee, Belgium
Acta Crystallogr D Biol Crystallogr 60:1922-4. 2004
..Single crystals were grown by vapour diffusion and belong to space group P2(1)2(1)2, with unit-cell parameters a = 150.5, b = 154.5, c = 34.2 A. The crystals diffract to at least 2.2 A using synchrotron radiation...
- Photonic crystal nanostructures for optical biosensing applications
Walter Schottky Institut and Physik Department, Technische Universitat Munchen, Am Coulombwall 3, D 85748 Garching, Germany
Biosens Bioelectron 24:3688-92. 2009
..A response of partial delta lambda/delta c=(4.54+/-0.66)x10(5)nm/M is measured leading to a measured detection limit as good as Delta m=4.0+/-0.6 fg or Delta m/Delta A=(4.9+/-0.7)x10(2)pg/mm(2)in the sensitive area...
- Construction of highly ordered lamellar nanostructures through Langmuir-Blodgett deposition of molecularly thin titania nanosheets tens of micrometers wide and their excellent dielectric properties
International Center for Materials Nanoarchitectonics, National Institute for Materials Science, 1 1 Namiki, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305 0044, Japan
ACS Nano 3:1097-106. 2009
..The obtained films showed superior dielectric and insulating properties as a reflection of the highly organized film nanoarchitecture...
- The initial stages of template-controlled CaCO3 formation revealed by cryo-TEM
Emilie M Pouget
Laboratory of Materials and Interface Chemistry, Eindhoven University of Technology, P O Box 513, 5600 MB Eindhoven, Netherlands
Science 323:1455-8. 2009
..Our findings have implications for template-directed mineral formation in biological as well as in synthetic systems...
- Wafer scale homogeneous bilayer graphene films by chemical vapor deposition
Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109, United States
Nano Lett 10:4702-7. 2010
..The homogeneity of the film is further supported by electrical transport measurements on dual-gate bilayer graphene transistors, in which a band gap opening is observed in 98% of the devices...
- Oxidative renal cell injury induced by calcium oxalate crystal and renoprotection with antioxidants: a possible role of oxidative stress in nephrolithiasis
Department of Urology, New York Medical College, Valhalla, New York 10595, USA
J Endourol 24:339-45. 2010
..We thus investigated if CaOx crystal would induce such renal cell injury in vitro and also explored how it would be carried out...
- Exfoliation and characterization of bismuth telluride atomic quintuples and quasi-two-dimensional crystals
Department of Electrical Engineering and Materials Science, Bourns College of Engineering, University of California Riverside, Riverside, California 92521, USA
Nano Lett 10:1209-18. 2010
..The developed technology for producing free-standing quasi-2D layers of Te((1))-Bi-Te((2))-Bi-Te((1)) creates an impetus for investigation of the topological insulators and their possible practical applications...
- Nanostructured lipid matrices for improved microencapsulation of drugs
R H Muller
Department of Pharmaceutics, Biopharmaceutics and Biotechnology, Free University of Berlin, Kelchstr 31, 12169, Berlin, Germany
Int J Pharm 242:121-8. 2002
..A special preparation process-applicable to NLC but also SLN-allows the production of highly concentrated particle dispersions (>30-95%). Potential applications as drug delivery system are described...
- Annexin 5 overexpression increased articular chondrocyte apoptosis induced by basic calcium phosphate crystals
H K Ea
INSERM U606, IFR 139, Hopital Lariboisiere, Paris, France
Ann Rheum Dis 67:1617-25. 2008
..We assessed in vitro whether BCP crystals and overexpression of A5 increased chondrocyte apoptosis...
- Toward rational protein crystallization: A Web server for the design of crystallizable protein variants
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, University of California, Los Angeles DOE Institute of Genomics and Proteomics, Los Angeles, California 90095 1570, USA
Protein Sci 16:1569-76. 2007
Growing well-diffracting crystals constitutes a serious bottleneck in structural biology. A recently proposed crystallization methodology for "stubborn crystallizers" is to engineer surface sequence variants designed to form ..
- Structure of the complex of the colicin E2 R-domain and its BtuB receptor. The outer membrane colicin translocon
Department of Biological Sciences, Lilly Hall of Life Sciences, Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana 47907, USA
J Biol Chem 282:23163-70. 2007
..Arg(452) at the R/C-domain interface in colicin E2 was found have an essential role at a putative site of protease cleavage, which would liberate the C-terminal activity domain for passage through the outer membrane translocon...
- Multiple functional groups of varying ratios in metal-organic frameworks
California NanoSystems Institute, University of California Los Angeles UCLA Department of Energy DOE Institute of Genomics and Proteomics, Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, UCLA, 607 Charles E Young Drive East, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Science 327:846-50. 2010
..For example, a member of this series, MTV-MOF-5-EHI, exhibits up to 400% better selectivity for carbon dioxide over carbon monoxide compared with its best same-link counterparts...
- Octacalcium phosphate crystals induce inflammation in vivo through interleukin-1 but independent of the NLRP3 inflammasome in mice
Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Vaudois and University of Lausanne, Lausanne, Switzerland
Arthritis Rheum 63:422-33. 2011
..To determine the mechanisms involved in inflammatory responses to octacalcium phosphate (OCP) crystals in vivo...
- Tailoring the atomic structure of graphene nanoribbons by scanning tunnelling microscope lithography
Nat Nanotechnol 3:397-401. 2008
..This method avoids the difficulties of assembling nanoscale components and may prove useful in the realization of complete integrated circuits, operating as room-temperature ballistic electronic devices...
- Introduction to protein crystallization
Department of Molecular Biology and Biochemistry, University of Califonia, Irvine 560 Steinhaus Hall, Irvine, CA 92697 3900, USA
Methods 34:254-65. 2004
..The fundamental approaches to devising successful crystallization conditions and the factors that influence them are summarized here...
- Decreased inhibitory activity of prothrombin to calcium oxalate crystallization by specific chemical modification of its gamma-carboxyglutamic acid residues
Department of Urology, Tongji Hospital, Tongji Medical College, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan, China
Urology 67:201-3. 2006
..To investigate the inhibitory role of gamma (gamma)-carboxyglutamic acid (Gla) in the Gla domain of urinary prothrombin in the formation of calcium oxalate crystals...
- Dual modes of modification of hepatitis A virus 3C protease by a serine-derived beta-lactone: selective crystallization and formation of a functional catalytic triad in the active site
CIHR Group in Protein Structure and Function, Department of Biochemistry, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada T6G 2H7
J Mol Biol 354:854-71. 2005
..However, crystallization of an enzyme-inhibitor adduct from the reaction mixture followed by X-ray structural analysis shows only ..
- Basic calcium phosphate crystals induce monocyte/macrophage IL-1β secretion through the NLRP3 inflammasome in vitro
Department of Rheumatology, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Vaudois, 1011 Lausanne, Switzerland
J Immunol 186:2495-502. 2011
..Furthermore, we speculate that IL-1 blockade could be a novel strategy to inhibit BCP-induced inflammation in human disease...
- Nonlinear optical imaging of integral membrane protein crystals in lipidic mesophases
David J Kissick
Department of Chemistry, Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana 47907, USA
Anal Chem 82:491-7. 2010
..High turbidity is a hallmark of membrane protein crystallization due to the extensive use of detergent and/or lipids that often form various mesophases...
- Self-catalyzed growth of S layers via an amorphous-to-crystalline transition limited by folding kinetics
Molecular Foundry, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, Berkeley, CA 94720, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107:16536-41. 2010
The importance of nonclassical, multistage crystallization pathways is increasingly evident from theoretical studies on colloidal systems and experimental investigations of proteins and biomineral phases...
- Nanosized and nanocrystalline calcium orthophosphates
Sergey V Dorozhkin
Kudrinskaja sq 1 155, Moscow 123242, Russia
Acta Biomater 6:715-34. 2010
..The review also provides possible directions for future research and development...
- Silver-based crystalline nanoparticles, microbially fabricated
Department of Materials Science, The Angstrom Laboratory, Uppsala University, SE 751 21 Uppsala, Sweden
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 96:13611-4. 1999
..These Ag-containing crystals are embedded in the organic matrix of the bacteria. Their possible potential as organic-metal composites in thin film and surface coating technology is discussed...
- Designed ankyrin repeat protein binders for the crystallization of AcrB: plasticity of the dominant interface
Department of Biochemistry, University of Zurich, Winterthurerstrasse 190, 8057 Zurich, Switzerland
J Struct Biol 174:269-81. 2011
..One approach to improve crystal quality is the use of DARPins as crystallization chaperones...
- Prediction of TiO2 nanoparticle phase and shape transitions controlled by surface chemistry
A S Barnard
Center for Nanoscale Materials, Materials Science Division, Argonne National Laboratory, 9700 South Cass Ave, Argonne, Illinois 60439, USA
Nano Lett 5:1261-6. 2005
..The latter introduces the possibility of inducing phase transitions by changing the surface chemistry...
- An overview of vertebrate mineralization with emphasis on collagen-mineral interaction
W J Landis
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Pathology, Northeastern Ohio Universities College of Medicine, Rootstown 44272, USA
Gravit Space Biol Bull 12:15-26. 1999
..In a broader sense, the data speak to the response of bone and mineralized vertebrate tissues to changes in gravitational loading and applied mechanical forces in general...
- Viral evolution revealed by bacteriophage PRD1 and human adenovirus coat protein structures
S D Benson
The Wistar Institute, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
Cell 98:825-33. 1999
..Although these two dsDNA viruses infect hosts from very different kingdoms, their striking similarities, from major coat protein through capsid architecture, strongly suggest their evolutionary relationship...
- A novel extrapallial fluid protein controls the morphology of nacre lamellae in the pearl oyster, Pinctada fucata
Institute of Marine Biotechnology, Department of Biological Sciences and Biotechnology, Tsinghua University, Beijing, 100084, China
J Biol Chem 282:23253-63. 2007
..Our results suggest that a "safeguard mechanism" of undesired crystal growth is necessary for shell microstructure formation...
- A lipidic-sponge phase screen for membrane protein crystallization
Annemarie B Wöhri
Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering, Molecular Biotechnology, Chalmers University of Technology, SE 405 30 Gothenburg, Sweden
Structure 16:1003-9. 2008
..To help address this problem, we have developed a sparse matrix crystallization screen consisting of 48 lipidic-sponge phase conditions...
- The Scottish Structural Proteomics Facility: targets, methods and outputs
Biomedical Sciences Research Complex, University of St Andrews, St Andrews, KY16 9ST, UK
J Struct Funct Genomics 11:167-80. 2010
..By reporting the experimental details and depositing the structures we hope to maximize the impact of the project by allowing others to follow up the relevant biology...
- XtalPred: a web server for prediction of protein crystallizability
Joint Center for Structural Genomics, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Bioinformatics 23:3403-5. 2007
..with distributions of these features in TargetDB and combining the results into an overall probability of crystallization. XtalPred provides: (1) a detailed comparison of the protein's features to the corresponding distribution ..
- Fungus-mediated biotransformation of amorphous silica in rice husk to nanocrystalline silica
Nanoscience Group, Materials Chemistry Division, and Biochemical Sciences Division, National Chemical Laboratory, Pune 411 008, India
J Am Chem Soc 128:14059-66. 2006
- Corneal crystals in nephropathic cystinosis: natural history and treatment with cysteamine eyedrops
W A Gahl
Section on Human Biochemical Genetics, Heritable Disorders Branch, National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
Mol Genet Metab 71:100-20. 2000
..Administration of 0.55% cysteamine eyedrops, given 6 to 12 times per day, dissolved corneal cystine crystals in 10 representative patients with nephropathic cystinosis aged 1 to 32 years within 8 to 41 months...
- Extracellular biosynthesis of magnetite using fungi
Nanoscience Group, Materials Chemistry Division, National Chemical Laboratory, Pune, India
Small 2:135-41. 2006
- Phase determination using halide ions
Macromolecular Crystallography Laboratory, National Cancer Institute, Argonne National Laboratory, Argonne, IL, USA
Methods Mol Biol 364:149-58. 2007
..The halide cryosoaking approach involves very little preparative effort and offers a rapid and simple way of solving novel protein crystal structures...
- Crystallizing membrane proteins for structure determination: use of lipidic mesophases
University of Limerick, Limerick, Ireland
Annu Rev Biophys 38:29-51. 2009
..A hypothesis for how the method works at the molecular level and experimental evidence in support of the proposal are reviewed here. The latest advances, successes, and challenges associated with the method are described...
- Functionalized graphene sheets for polymer nanocomposites
Department of Mechanical Engineering, Northwestern University, Evanston, Illinois 60208, USA
Nat Nanotechnol 3:327-31. 2008
..Modulus, ultimate strength and thermal stability follow a similar trend, with values for functionalized graphene sheet- poly(methyl methacrylate) rivaling those for single-walled carbon nanotube-poly(methyl methacrylate) composites...
- Role of macromolecular assembly of enamel matrix proteins in enamel formation
H C Margolis
Department of Biomineralization, The Forsyth Institute, 140 The Fenway, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Dent Res 85:775-93. 2006
..In conclusion, the authors present a hypothesis, based on the evidence presented, that the full-length amelogenin uniquely regulates proper enamel formation through a process of cooperative mineralization, and not as a pre-formed matrix...
- Structure and substrate recruitment of the human spindle checkpoint kinase Bub1
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, 6001 Forest Park Road, Dallas, TX 75390, USA
Mol Cell 32:394-405. 2008
..The KEN boxes of Bub1 are required for the spindle checkpoint in human cells. Therefore, its unusual active-site conformation and mode of substrate recruitment suggest that Bub1 has an exquisitely tuned specificity for Cdc20...
- Statistical analysis of interface similarity in crystals of homologous proteins
Institute for Cancer Research, Fox Chase Cancer Center, 333 Cottman Avenue, Philadelphia, PA 19111, USA
J Mol Biol 381:487-507. 2008
..The PDB, in particular, is missing highly likely biological interfaces in its biological unit files for about 10% of PDB entries...
- Equilibrium cluster formation in concentrated protein solutions and colloids
Department of Physics, University of Fribourg, Chemin du Musee 3, CH 1700 Fribourg, Switzerland
Nature 432:492-5. 2004
..We discuss the relevance of this finding for nucleation processes during protein crystallization, protein or DNA self-assembly and the previously observed formation of cluster and gel phases in colloidal ..
- Structural characterization of apical membrane antigen 1 (AMA1) from Toxoplasma gondii
Department of Biochemistry and Microbiology, University of Victoria, Victoria, British Columbia V8W 3P6, Canada
J Biol Chem 285:15644-52. 2010
..The detailed structural characterization of TgAMA1 provides valuable insight into the mechanism of host cell invasion by T. gondii...
- Role of S100A8 and S100A9 in neutrophil recruitment in response to monosodium urate monohydrate crystals in the air-pouch model of acute gouty arthritis
Infectious Diseases Research Center, Centre de Recherche du Centre Hospitalier de l Universite Laval, 2705 Laurier Boulevard, Sainte Foy, Quebec G1V 4G2, Canada
Arthritis Rheum 48:2310-20. 2003
..To examine the role of chemokines, S100A8, and S100A9 in neutrophil accumulation induced by the causative agent of gout, monosodium urate monohydrate (MSU) crystals...