- Cervical biopsy-based comparison of a new liquid-based thin-layer preparation with conventional Pap smears
Maria da Gloria Mattosinho de Castro Ferraz
Department of Gynecology, Federal University of Sao Paulo, Escola Paulista de Medicina Unifesp EPM, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Diagn Cytopathol 30:220-6. 2004
- Direct comparison of liquid-based and conventional cytology in a South African screening trial
Department of Pathology, Columbia University, New York, NY 10032, USA
Int J Cancer 118:957-62. 2006
..Because of the higher unit cost of LBC, low resource settings should carefully consider the potential benefits and drawbacks of LBC before adopting this new technology...
- A comparison of liquid-based cytology with conventional cytology
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Selcuk University Meram Medical School, Konya, Turkey
Int J Gynaecol Obstet 100:163-6. 2008
..To evaluate the 2 methods of cytologic screening to detect abnormalities of the cervical epithelium...
- Long term predictive values of cytology and human papillomavirus testing in cervical cancer screening: joint European cohort study
Lund University, Medical Microbiology, University Hospital MAS, 205 02 Malmo, Sweden
BMJ 337:a1754. 2008
..To obtain large scale and generalisable data on the long term predictive value of cytology and human papillomavirus (HPV) testing for development of cervical intraepithelial neoplasia grade 3 or cancer (CIN3+)...
- Aptamer-based microfluidic device for enrichment, sorting, and detection of multiple cancer cells
Center for Research at the Bio Nano Interface, Department of Chemistry, Shands Cancer Center, UF Genetics Institute, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida 32611 7200, USA
Anal Chem 81:7436-42. 2009
- HPV screening for cervical cancer in rural India
International Agency for Research on Cancer, Lyon, France
N Engl J Med 360:1385-94. 2009
- HPV testing in routine cervical screening: cross sectional data from the ARTISTIC trial
H C Kitchener
Division of Human Development, University of Manchester, Hathersage Road, Manchester M13 0JH, UK
Br J Cancer 95:56-61. 2006
..HPV 16 and HPV 18 are more predictive of underlying disease, but other HPV types account for 30% of high-grade disease...
- Intravital microscopy: a novel tool to study cell biology in living animals
Intracellular Membrane Trafficking Unit, Oral and Pharyngeal Cancer Branch, National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research, National Institutes of Health, 30 Convent Drive Room 303A, Bethesda, MD 20892 4340, USA
Histochem Cell Biol 133:481-91. 2010
..Indeed, first we will focus on those studies in which organs were imaged at the tissue level, then on those focusing on single cells imaging, and finally on those imaging subcellular organelles and structures...
- Human papillomavirus viral load expressed as relative light units (RLU) correlates with the presence and grade of preneoplastic lesions of the uterine cervix in atypical squamous cells of undetermined significance (ASCUS) cytology
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Vita Salute San Raffaele University School of Medicine at San Raffaele Scientific Institute, Via Olgettina 60, 20132, Milan, Italy
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 31:2401-6. 2012
..05). The HPV viral load in ASCUS cases significantly correlates with the severity of cervical cancer precursors. These data may have prognostic value, as they significantly correlate with the probability of a CIN2+ ...
- Take advantage of time in your experiments: a guide to simple, informative kinetics assays
Thomas D Pollard
Department of Molecular Cellular and Developmental Biology, Yale University, New Haven, CT 06520 8103, USA
Mol Biol Cell 24:1103-10. 2013
..These "transient-state" methods not only differ in concept from traditional approaches used to analyze enzyme reactions at steady state, but they are also applicable to learning about the dynamics of any biological process...
- Rate of cervical cancer, severe intraepithelial neoplasia, and adenocarcinoma in situ in primary HPV DNA screening with cytology triage: randomised study within organised screening programme
Mass Screening Registry of the Finnish Cancer Registry, Pieni Roobertinkatu 9, FIN 00130 Helsinki, Finland
BMJ 340:c1804. 2010
..To assess the performance and impact of primary human papillomavirus (HPV) DNA screening with cytology triage compared with conventional cytology on cervical cancer and severe pre-cancerous lesions...
- Circulating tumor cells in breast cancer: a tool whose time has come of age
Ramona F Swaby
Department of Medical Oncology, Fox Chase Cancer Center, Philadelphia, PA 19111, USA
BMC Med 9:43. 2011
..We will also introduce their utility in pharmacodynamic monitoring for rational selection of molecularly targeted therapies and briefly address how they can help elucidate the biology of cancer metastasis...
- Sensitivity, specificity, and clinical value of human papillomavirus (HPV) E6/E7 mRNA assay as a triage test for cervical cytology and HPV DNA test
Agency for Public Health Lazio Sanità, Via di Santa Costanza 53, 00198 Rome, Italy
J Clin Microbiol 49:2643-50. 2011
..It is also more efficient than cytology for the triage of HPV DNA-positive women. Nevertheless, its low sensitivity demands a strict follow-up of HPV DNA positive-mRNA negative cases...
- Abnormal cervicovaginal cytology with negative human papillomavirus testing
Department of Pathology, Central Hospital Bolzano, Bolzano, Italy
Cancer 111:280-4. 2007
..In this study, the authors investigated the occurrence and causes of abnormal cervicovaginal cytologies with negative HPV testing...
- Cytology and human papillomavirus testing 6 to 12 months after ASCUS or LSIL cytology in organized screening to predict high-grade cervical neoplasia between screening rounds
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Akershus University Hospital, Lørenskog, Norway
J Clin Microbiol 50:1927-35. 2012
..In addition, the low CIN2+ risk among women with a negative Amplicor HPV test in our study confirms its safe use in a clinical setting...
- Human papillomavirus testing and liquid-based cytology: results at recruitment from the new technologies for cervical cancer randomized controlled trial
Unit of Cancer Epidemiology, Centro per la Prevenzione Oncologica Piemonte, 10123 Turin, Italy
J Natl Cancer Inst 98:765-74. 2006
- Alternative technologies in cervical cancer screening: a randomised evaluation trial
Mass Screening Registry, Finnish Cancer Registry, Liisankatu 21 B, FI 00170 Helsinki, Finland
BMC Public Health 6:252. 2006
..A substantial amount of deaths from the disease could be prevented further by organised screening programmes or improving currently running programmes...
- Using iterative cluster merging with improved gap statistics to perform online phenotype discovery in the context of high-throughput RNAi screens
Center for Bioinformatics, The Methodist Hospital Research Institute and Weill Cornell College of Medicine, 6565 Fannin Street, Houston, TX 77030, USA
BMC Bioinformatics 9:264. 2008
..Arbitrarily extracted information causes biased analysis, while combining the complete existing datasets with each new image is intractable in high-throughput screens...
- [Flow cytometric analysis of HLA-DR, IL-6 and IL-8 expression by conjunctival epithelial cells from patients with prolonged topical antiglaucoma treatments]
Centre Hospitalier National d Ophtalmologie des Quinze Vingts, EA 3123 Université Pierre et Marie Curie Paris 6
J Fr Ophtalmol 26:782-9. 2003
..To investigate the expression of three inflammation markers, HLA-DR, IL-6, and IL-8, by conjunctival epithelial cells obtained using impression cytology (IC) samples from long-term treated glaucoma patients...
- Green light to illuminate signal transduction events
Section on Molecular Signal Transduction, Program on Developmental Neuroscience, Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Trends Cell Biol 19:575-86. 2009
..Spatial definition of biochemical events followed with real-time temporal resolution has become a standard goal, and several new techniques are now breaking the resolution barrier of light microscopy...
- Lifetime effects, costs, and cost effectiveness of testing for human papillomavirus to manage low grade cytological abnormalities: results of the NHS pilot studies
Health Economics Research Centre, Department of Public Health, University of Oxford, Oxford OX3 7LF
BMJ 332:79-85. 2006
..To predict the incremental lifetime effects, costs, and cost effectiveness of using human papillomavirus testing to triage women with borderline or mildly dyskaryotic cervical smear results for immediate colposcopy...
- Human feeder layers for human embryonic stem cells
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Rambam Medical Center, Rambam Medical Center, Haifa, Isreal
Biol Reprod 68:2150-6. 2003
- Fluorescence microscopy--avoiding the pitfalls
Claire M Brown
Life Sciences Complex Imaging Facility, Department of Biochemistry, McGill University, Montreal, Canada, H3G 1Y6
J Cell Sci 120:1703-5. 2007
- HPV testing as a triage for borderline or mild dyskaryosis on cervical cytology: results from the Sentinel Sites study
R S Kelly
Cancer Screening Evaluation Unit, Institute of Cancer Research, Richard Doll Building, 15 Cotswold Road, Sutton, Surrey SM2 5NG, UK
Br J Cancer 105:983-8. 2011
..The aim of the present study was to study the impact of wider rollout of HPV triage for women with low-grade cytology on colposcopy referral and outcomes...
- Long-term follow-up of cervical abnormalities among women screened by HPV testing and cytology-Results from the Hammersmith study
Centre for Epidemiology, Mathematics and Statistics, Wolfson Institute of Preventive Medicine, Queen Mary s School of Medicine and Dentistry, Charterhouse Square, London, United Kingdom
Int J Cancer 122:2294-300. 2008
..52, p = 0.001), whereas there was little difference according to initial cytology (HR = 1.64, p = 0.51)...
- Triage of women with low-grade cervical lesions--HPV mRNA testing versus repeat cytology
Sveinung Wergeland Sørbye
Department of Clinical Pathology, The University Hospital of North Norway, Tromsø, Norway
PLoS ONE 6:e24083. 2011
..A high specificity and positive predictive value (PPV) of the triage test is important to avoid unnecessary diagnostic and therapeutic procedures...
- Accuracy of liquid based versus conventional cytology: overall results of new technologies for cervical cancer screening: randomised controlled trial
Unit of Cancer Epidemiology, Centre for Cancer Prevention, Via S Francesco da Paola 31 10123 Turin, Italy
BMJ 335:28. 2007
..To compare the accuracy of conventional cytology with liquid based cytology for primary screening of cervical cancer...
- What's next? Perspectives and future needs of cervical screening in Europe in the era of molecular testing and vaccination
Institute of Public Health, University of Copenhagen, Østre Farimagsgade 5, DK 1014 København K, Denmark
Eur J Cancer 45:2714-21. 2009
..To outline the perspectives for future control of cervical cancer in Europe...
- HPV triage for low grade (L-SIL) cytology is appropriate for women over 35 in mass cervical cancer screening using liquid based cytology
Unit of Cancer Epidemiology, Centro per la Prevenzione Oncologica CPO, Via S Francesco da Paola 31, 10123 Turin, Italy
Eur J Cancer 43:476-80. 2007
..5% (95%CI 58.3-70.3) at age 35-60. In conclusion, triaging by HPV testing performed better in women aged over 35 years than those younger. For older women, HPV triaging should also be considered for managing those with LSIL cytology...
- Screening with a primary human papillomavirus test does not increase detection of cervical cancer and intraepithelial neoplasia 3
Mass Screening Registry, Finnish Cancer Registry, Liisankatu 21 B, FI 00170 Helsinki, Finland
Eur J Cancer 44:565-71. 2008
..To determine cross-sectional validity of primary human papillomavirus (HPV) screening in comparison to cytological screening...
- Interleukin-8 concentrations in conjunctival epithelium brush cytology samples correlate with neutrophil, eosinophil infiltration, and corneal damage
Department of Ophthalmology, Tachikawa Hospital, KKR, Tokyo, Japan
Cornea 20:743-7. 2001
..CONCLUSION: IL-8 in the extracellular space of the conjunctival epithelium may play a role in the recruitment of neutrophils and possibly eosinophils and in the pathogenesis of corneal damage in severe allergic diseases...
- Routine cervical screening with primary HPV testing and cytology triage protocol in a randomised setting
Mass Screening Registry, Finnish Cancer Registry, Liisankatu 21 B, FI 00170 Helsinki, Finland
Br J Cancer 93:862-7. 2005
..With cytology triage, the specificity improves to the level of conventional cytology...
- Impression cytology: recent advances and applications in dry eye disease
Department of Ophthalmology, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY 10029, USA
Ocul Surf 7:93-110. 2009
..Dry eye disease is one area in which IC has contributed to significant advances...
- Effect of study design and quality on unsatisfactory rates, cytology classifications, and accuracy in liquid-based versus conventional cervical cytology: a systematic review
Screening and Test Evaluation Program, School of Public Health, University of Sydney, Australia
Lancet 367:122-32. 2006
..We reviewed the published work to assess the performance of liquid-based cytology relative to conventional cytology in primary studies assessed to be of low, medium, or high methodological quality...
- In vivo marking of single cells in chick embryos using photoactivation of GFP
D A Stark
Stowers Institute for Medical Research, Kansas City, Missouri, USA
Curr Protoc Cell Biol . 2005
..The technique has the potential to be a less-invasive, accurate tool for in vivo studies that involve following cell lineage and cell migration...
- Automated migration analysis based on cell texture: method & reliability
Thayer School of Engineering, Dartmouth College, Hanover, NH 03755, USA
BMC Cell Biol 6:9. 2005
..It was designed specifically to identify the impact of Second Hand Smoke (SHS) on endothelial cell migration but has broader applications. The analysis has two stages: (1) preprocessing of image texture, and (2) migration analysis...
- Analysis of inadequate cervical smears using Shewhart control charts
Wayne N Harrison
Walsall Teaching Primary Care Trust, Lichfield House, WS1 1TE, UK
BMC Public Health 4:25. 2004
..Furthermore, the proportion of inadequate smears is known to vary widely amongst providers. This study investigates this variation using Shewhart's theory of variation and control charts, and suggests strategies for addressing this...
- Automated measurement of cell motility and proliferation
Automated Cell, Inc 390 William Pitt Way, Pittsburgh, PA 15238, USA
BMC Cell Biol 6:19. 2005
..Here we describe a fully automated system in which images are acquired 24/7 from 384 well plates and are automatically processed to yield high-content motility and morphological data...
- Improving fluorescence-based assays for the in vitro analysis of cell adhesion and migration
Division for Experimental Oncology 2, The National Cancer Institute CRO IRCCS, Aviano, PN, Italy
Mol Biotechnol 20:285-304. 2002
- Analysis methods of human cell migration
Institute of Immunology, Witten Herdecke University, Stockumer Street 10, 58448 Witten, Germany
Exp Cell Res 307:418-26. 2005
..This review therefore gives an overview of the migration assays which are currently in use, describes the methods, and critically enlightens the particular advantages and disadvantages of each method...
- Assessment of 1183 screen-detected, category 3B, circumscribed masses by cytology and core biopsy with long-term follow up data
BreastScreen SA, 1 Goodwood Road, Wayville 5065, South Australia
Br J Cancer 98:1182-90. 2008
- Improvement of diagnostic accuracy and screening conditions with liquid-based cytology
Department of Pathology, Odense University Hospital, Winsloewparken 15, 5000 Odense C, Denmark
Diagn Cytopathol 34:780-5. 2006
..In addition, we focus on the optimized cellular material that shows the diagnostic details very clearly to the microscopist and leads to radically improved screening conditions...
- Criteria for organized cervical screening programs. Special emphasis on The Netherlands program
Antonius G J M Hanselaar
Department of Pathology, University Medical Center Nijmegen, P O Box 9101, 6500 HB Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Acta Cytol 46:619-29. 2002
..Evaluation of medical and organizational aspects is mandatory. Cooperation between all involved parties is a prerequisite of creating a successful screening program...
- Morphogenesis of primary human biliary epithelial cells: induction in high-density culture or by coculture with autologous human hepatocytes
M K Auth
Liver Research Laboratories, Queen Elizabeth Medical Centre, and School of Biosciences, University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham, UK
Hepatology 33:519-29. 2001
..These findings indicate that for human biliary ductular morphogenesis, epithelial cell-cell interactions are required but that mesenchymally derived factors such as HGF may not be important...
- Evaluation of p16INK4a expression in ThinPrep cervical specimens with the CINtec p16INK4a assay: correlation with biopsy follow-up results
Jane L Meyer
Cytyc Corporation, Marlborough, Massachusetts, USA
Cancer 111:83-92. 2007
..The ability of this assay to accurately identify underlying high-grade lesions was assessed by using follow-up biopsies and comparing these results with Hybrid Capture 2 (Digene, Gaithersburg, Md) high-risk HPV (hc(2)) results...
- Pap test in a high-risk population comparison of conventional and liquid-base cytology
Maria Lucia Utagawa
Division of Pathology of Adolfo Lutz Institute, 01246 902 São Paulo, Brazil
Diagn Cytopathol 31:169-72. 2004
- Reliability of sparing Papanicolaou test conventional reading in cases reported as No Further Review at AutoPap-assisted cytological screening: survey of 30,658 cases with follow-up cytological screening
Grazia Maria Troni
Istituto Scientifico Prevenzione Oncologica CSPO, Florence, Italy
Cancer 111:93-8. 2007
..AutoPap-assisted smear reading has been proposed prior to conventional manual reading; the latter may be unnecessary for cases reported as No Further Review (NFR) and would be required for cases reported as Review (REV)...
- Clinical significance of immunocytochemistry for PIK3CA as a carcinogenesis-related marker on liquid-based cytology in cervical intraepithelial neoplasia
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Saitama Medical College, 38 Morohongo, Iruma gun, Saitama 350 0495, Japan
Oncol Rep 15:387-91. 2006
..Thus, expression of PIK3CA was observed in liquid-based cytology in CIN lesions, which suggested its diagnostic significance in addition to the use of routine cervical cancer smear and the HPV screening program...
- Accuracy of reading liquid based cytology slides using the ThinPrep Imager compared with conventional cytology: prospective study
Screening and Test Evaluation Program, School of Public Health, University of Sydney, NSW 2006, Australia
BMJ 335:31. 2007
..To compare the accuracy of liquid based cytology using the computerised ThinPrep Imager with that of manually read conventional cytology...
- Testing automated liquid-based cytology samples with a manual liquid-based cytology method using residual cell suspensions from 500 ThinPrep cases
John A Maksem
Bostwick Laboratories, 2500 Sand Lake Road, Orlando, Florida 32809, USA
Diagn Cytopathol 34:391-6. 2006
..Also, SILs often present as aggregates of cohesive cells which, if overlooked or ineffectively transferred to ALBC slides, would not be diagnosed...
- Interlaboratory reproducibility of liquid-based equivocal cervical cytology within a randomized controlled trial framework
Unit of Analytical and Biomolecular Cytology, Centro per lo Studio e la Prevenzione Oncologica, Florence, Italy
Diagn Cytopathol 35:541-4. 2007
..The lack of reproducibility for ASCUS was not a result of the introduction of this new technology but rather to the low reproducibility of the ASCUS category itself stemming from intrinsic uncertainties in the reporting criteria...
- Immunohistochemical detection of p16INK4a in liquid-based cytology specimens on cell block sections
Department of Pathology, Lehigh Valley Hospital, Allentown, Pennsylvania, USA
Cancer 111:74-82. 2007
..To further improve the diagnostic accuracy of the ASC-H Papanicolaou smear and to reduce unnecessary procedures, the authors evaluated the utility of immunodetection of p16 in liquid-based cytology specimens on cell blocks...
- Histopathological outcomes of women with squamous cell carcinoma on cervical cytology
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Faculty of Medicine, Chiang Mai University, Chiang Mai 50200, Thailand
Asian Pac J Cancer Prev 7:403-6. 2006
..The loop electrosurgical excision procedure (LEEP) remains an important measure for combined treatment and diagnosis...
- How accurate is cytological diagnosis of cervical glandular lesions?
Marise A R Moreira
Department of Pathology, School of Medicine, Federal University of Goias, Goias, Brazil
Diagn Cytopathol 36:270-4. 2008
..The use of HPV DNA test alone or combined to screening glandular lesions may contribute to minimize the limitations of both conventional and LBC preparations to diagnose glandular abnormalities...
- Rapid, high throughput determination of cervical cytology specimen adequacy using a capillary-based cytometer
Invirion Diagnostics LLC, Oak Brook, Illinois 60523, USA
Cytometry B Clin Cytom 74:133-6. 2008
..Use of this instrument reduced the amount of sample required by >90% and reduced the average per sample assay time from 120 s to 10 s compared with flow cytometry...
- Grading follicular lymphoma on fine needle aspiration specimens. Comparison with proliferative index by DNA image analysis and Ki-67 labeling index
Division of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Department of Pathology, University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, 1515 Holcombe Boulevard, Unit 053, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Acta Cytol 48:119-26. 2004
..To determine whether follicular lymphoma (FL) can be graded on fine needle aspiration (FNA) biopsies by determining the percentage of centroblasts in the neoplastic follicles on the smears...
- [The role of the cytological screening, HPV-test and the colposcopy for early detection of the precancerous lesions of the uterine cervix]
Akush Ginekol (Sofiia) 46:45-9. 2007
..We tried to summarise our and foreign experience in the field of early finding and screening of the precancerous lesions of the uterine cervix...
- [Two cytological methods for screening for cervical cancer]
Hvidovre Hospital, Patologiafdelingen
Ugeskr Laeger 170:1933-7. 2008
..In spite of this, almost 150 Danish women die from the disease each year. There are currently two different methods for preparation of cervical samples: conventional Papanicolaou smear and liquid-based cytology...
- New strategies for cervical cancer screening in adolescents
Susan Hayden Gray
Division of Adolescent Young Adult Medicine, Department of Medicine, Children s Hospital Boston, MA 02115, USA
Curr Opin Pediatr 16:344-9. 2004
- Liquid-based cytology: is this the way forward for cervical screening?
Robin P Moseley
The Pauline Cooper Department of Cytology, Addenbrooke s Hospital, Hills Road, Cambridge CB2 2QQ, UK
Cytopathology 13:71-82. 2002
..Our analysis of existing data does not support the nationwide implementation of LBC at present. Further studies are recommended in order to evaluate the place of this technology within the NHSCSP...
- Is it reality or an illusion that liquid-based cytology is better than conventional cervical smears?
Cytopathology 13:135-6. 2002
- Is it reality or an illusion that liquid-based cytology is better than conventional cervical smears? Authors' reply
Cytopathology 13:133. 2002
- Towards a single cell cancer diagnosis. Multimodal and monocellular measurements of markers and morphology (5M)
Institute of Cytopathology, Heinrich Heine University Dusseldorf, Moorenstr 5, 40225 Dusseldorf, Germany
Cell Oncol 26:73-9. 2004
- Comparison of two preparation methods for endocervical evaluation
Hye Sun Kim
Department of Pathology, Cheil General Hospital and Women s Healthcare Center, Kwandong University College of Medicine, Seoul, Republic of Korea
Acta Cytol 51:742-8. 2007
- "Sip volume" as a quality indicator in liquid-based cervical cytology
Mark E Sherman
Hormonal and Reproductive Epidemiology Branch, Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics, National Cancer Institute, Rockville, MD 20892 7374, USA
Cancer 108:462-7. 2006
..It was hypothesized that the volumes required to prepare ThinPreps ("sip volumes") represent indicators of specimen quality...
- Preneoplastic and neoplastic cervical lesions as detected in Cytoblock sections: the importance of sampling women with bleeding symptoms
M E Boon
Leiden Cytology and Pathology Laboratoty, Leiden, The Netherlands
Eur J Gynaecol Oncol 28:282-6. 2007
..The purpose was to use cervical samples to prepare Cytoblocks and use the subsequent paraffin sections for additional immunostaining in our studies on angiogenesis...
- Effect of testing for human papillomavirus as a triage during screening for cervical cancer: observational before and after study
Cancer Screening Evaluation Unit, Institute of Cancer Research, Sutton, Surrey SM2 5NG
BMJ 332:83-5. 2006
..To assess the effect of introducing testing for human papillomavirus combined with liquid based cytology in women with low grade cytological abnormalities...
- Is it rational to start population-based cervical cancer screening at or soon after age 20? Analysis of time trends in preinvasive and invasive diseases
Cancer Detection Clinic, Icelandic Cancer Society, 105 Reykjavik, Iceland
Eur J Cancer 43:769-74. 2007
..The study confirms an increasing rate of preinvasive and invasive disease among younger women and indicates the benefit of starting organised screening at 2-3 year intervals soon after age 20...
- Liquid-based cytology versus conventional Papanicolaou smear in an organized screening program : a prospective randomized study
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Sahlgrenska Academy, University of Goteborg and Sahlgrenska University Hospital, Goteborg, Sweden
Cancer 111:285-91. 2007
..The primary endpoint was histopathologic high-grade lesions in current and subsequent screening rounds. The secondary endpoints were cytologic diagnosis and inadequate samples...
- Screening for cervical cancer and initial treatment of patients with abnormal results from papanicolaou testing
John B Bundrick
Division of General Internal Medicine, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, 200 First St SW, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Mayo Clin Proc 80:1063-8. 2005
..Testing for HPV as an adjunct to cervical cytology for primary screening is now considered reasonable for many women older than 30 years...
- Fine-needle aspiration cytology in the diagnosis of cutaneous leishmaniasis
Bolan Medical College Complex Hospital, Quetta, Pakistan
Ann Saudi Med 24:93-7. 2004
..We compared fine-needle aspiration cytology (FNAC) with the conventional method of excisional biopsy to assess the efficacy, utility and accuracy of FNAC for the diagnosis of CL...
- Validation of a five-tier cytodiagnostic system for thyroid fine needle aspiration biopsies using cytohistologic correlation
Brian J Yoder
Department of Pathology, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida 32610 0275, USA
Thyroid 16:781-6. 2006
..We present our experience using a five-tier system, including the diagnostic terminology: benign, indeterminate, suspicious, malignant, and unsatisfactory...
- Proteomic analysis of high-grade dysplastic cervical cells obtained from ThinPrep slides using laser capture microdissection and mass spectrometry
Northeastern University, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
J Proteome Res 6:4256-68. 2007
..With the study of additional clinical specimens, the differential abundance of proteins in high-grade dysplastic cells versus morphologically normal cervical cells may lead to validated novel biomarkers for cervical disease...
- A follow-up study of atypical squamous cells in gynecologic cytology using conventional papanicolaou smears and liquid-based preparations: the impact of the Bethesda System 2001
Chris Yick Kwong Lee
Department of Pathology, Faculty of Medicine, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong SAR, China
Am J Clin Pathol 127:548-55. 2007
..Introduction of dichotomous subcategorization of ASC is relevant, with ASC-H associated with a much higher risk of subsequent high-grade squamous lesions...
- Follow-up study of atypical glandular cells in gynecologic cytology using conventional Pap smears and liquid-based preparations: impact of the Bethesda System 2001
Chris Yick Kwong Lee
Department of Pathology, The University of Hong Kong and Hong Kong Sanatorium and Hospital, Hong Kong Special Administrative Region, China
Acta Cytol 52:159-68. 2008
..This study evaluated the impact of the Bethesda System (TBS) 2001 in reporting of atypical glandular cells (AGC) when using conventional Pap smears (CS) and liquid-based cytology preparations (LBC)...
- Conventional Pap smear and liquid-based cytology as screening tools in low-resource settings in Latin America: experience of the Latin American screening study
Instituto Adolfo Lutz and Hospital Leonor M de Barros, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Acta Cytol 49:500-6. 2005
- Evaluation of cervical screening strategies with adjunct high-risk human papillomavirus testing for women with borderline or mild dyskaryosis
Department of Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, VU University Medical Centre, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Int J Cancer 118:1759-68. 2006
- Human papillomavirus DNA detection in the management of women with twice mildly abnormal cytological smears
Department of Molecular Pathology, University College London, London, United Kingdom
J Med Virol 69:118-21. 2003
..The utility of high-risk HPV detection in the management of women presenting with mild cytological abnormalities is discussed...
- Analysis of standard methods for diagnosing vaginitis: HIV infection does not complicate the diagnosis of vaginitis
Beverly E Sha
Department of Medicine, Section of Infectious Diseases, Rush University Medical Center, Chicago, IL, USA
J Low Genit Tract Dis 11:240-50. 2007
..We sought to determine whether the standard diagnostic methods for vaginitis behave similarly among HIV-infected and at-risk seronegative women...
- A peer comparison program for the quality assurance of human papillomavirus DNA detection using the Digene Hybrid Capture II/SurePath method shows excellent analytic interlaboratory correlation
Diane L Kuebler
Department of Pathology, Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts
Cancer 111:339-43. 2007
..In this report, the authors provide the results from a self-developed program between 2 cytology laboratories...
- Resolution of equivocal results with the Hybrid Capture II high-risk HPV DNA test: a cytologic/histologic review of 191 cases
Stewart M Knoepp
Department of Pathology, Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard University, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Diagn Mol Pathol 16:125-9. 2007
..These "equivocal" values are resulted as positive for hrHPV if either of 2 subsequent test values equals or exceeds 1.0 RLU/CO. Samples that show <1.0 RLU/CO after 2 repeat tests are resulted as negative for hrHPV...
- Human papilloma virus detection in liquid cytology, in situ hybridization and polymerase chain reaction
Virchows Arch 446:202-3. 2005
- Gynecological cytology: too old to be a pop star but too young to die
Diagn Cytopathol 35:672-3. 2007
- Comparison of the performance of rapid prescreening, 10% random review, and clinical risk criteria as methods of internal quality control in cervical cytopathology
Suelene B N Tavares
School of Pharmacy, Federal University of Goias, Goiania, Goias, Brazil
Cancer 114:165-70. 2008
..Little direct comparison data are available comparing RPS with other more widely used IQC methods...
- Commentary: Liquid automation refreshes Dr Papanicolaou
BMJ 335:35-6. 2007
- Measuring the significance of workload on performance of cytotechnologists in gynecologic cytology: a study using rapid prescreening
Department of Pathology, McGill University Health Center and McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Cancer 114:149-54. 2008
..Workload is extensively regulated and often used as a measure of quality in gynecologic cytology. Whether workload correlates with the sensitivity of screening in gynecologic cytology is not known...
- Liquid-based cervical cytology tests
Sandra M Sulik
J Fam Pract 51:378. 2002
- Endometrial brush cytology in the surveillance of post-menopausal patients under tamoxifen: a prospective longitudinal study
Service de Gynecologie Obstetrique, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire, 1 Place de l Hopital, 67091 Strasbourg Cedex, France
Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol 132:126-8. 2007
..To evaluate cytological sampling of endometrium using Endobrush (Lab CCD, Paris, France) in the surveillance of tamoxifen-treated patients...
- [Impression cytology in patients with dry eye syndrome and various rheumatic diseases]
Klinika Okulistyki Ozieciecej Akademii Medycznej w Białymstoku
Klin Oczna 108:420-3. 2006
..The aim of this study was to evaluate the cytological changes of bulbar conjunctiva in patients with various rheumatic diseases and dry eye syndrome...
- Evaluating the risk of cervical precancer with a combination of cytologic, virologic, and visual methods
Sophia S Wang
Hormonal and Reproductive Epidemiology Branch, Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics, National Cancer Institute NIH, 6120 Executive Boulevard, EPS MSC 7234, Bethesda, MD 20892 7234, USA
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 14:2665-8. 2005
..We conclude that the clear discrimination of cervical cancer risk provided by multiple test modalities is consistent with our understanding of cervical etiology related to HPV natural history...
- Identification of Chlamydia trachomatis DNA in human papillomavirus (HPV) positive women with normal and abnormal cytology
R R Finan
Department of Obstetrics, St Georges Hospital, Beirut
Arch Gynecol Obstet 266:168-71. 2002
..Collectively, this suggests that a causal relationship between HPV and CT infection in the development of CIN disease...
- Ploidy manipulation of the gametophyte, endosperm and sporophyte in nature and for crop improvement: a tribute to Professor Stanley J. Peloquin (1921-2008)
International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center CIMMYT, Apdo Postal 6 641, 06600 Mexico, D F, Mexico
Ann Bot 104:795-807. 2009
- Polymorphisms for the size of heterochromatic regions allow sex-independent quantification of post-BMT chimerism targeting metaphase and interphase cells
Dpto de Biologia, Universidad Autonoma de Madrid, Spain
Haematologica 84:138-41. 1999
Fully quantitative cytological techniques for the analysis of hemopoietic chimerism are very limited and largely restricted to sex-chromosome detection after sex-mismatched bone marrow transplants (BMTs)...
- The dynamics of homologous chromosome pairing during male Drosophila meiosis
Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics, University of California, San Francisco, 94143, USA
Curr Biol 12:1473-83. 2002
..Due to limitations in available cytological techniques, the early stages of homologous chromosome pairing in male Drosophila have not been observed, and the ..
- Niemann-Pick C variant detection by altered sphingolipid trafficking and correlation with mutations within a specific domain of NPC1
Thoracic Diseases Research Unit, Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Mayo Clinic and Foundation, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Am J Hum Genet 68:1361-72. 2001
..Our findings should be useful for the detection of NPC variants and also may provide significant new insight regarding NPC1 genotype/phenotype correlations...
- Persisting fetal microchimerism does not interfere with forensic Y-chromosome typing
Institute of Legal Medicine, University Halle Wittenberg, Franzosenweg 1, Halle D 06112, Germany
Forensic Sci Int 139:151-4. 2004
..The sensitivity of this approach exceeds that of cytological techniques combined with autosomal DNA typing...
- ASY1 coordinates early events in the plant meiotic recombination pathway
School of Biosciences, University of Birmingham, Birmingham, UK
Cytogenet Genome Res 120:302-12. 2008
..The development of molecular and cytological techniques in Arabidopsis, besides allowing investigation of the more conserved aspects of meiosis, are also ..
- Development of a PCR assay for detection of the oyster pathogen Bonamia ostreae and support for its inclusion in the Haplosporidia
R B Carnegie
School of Marine Sciences, University of Maine, Orono 04469, USA
Dis Aquat Organ 42:199-206. 2000
..The PCR assay developed here is more sensitive and less ambiguous than standard histological and cytological techniques. Phylogenetic analysis of DNA sequence data confirmed B. ostreae to be a member of the Haplosporidia.
- Quantitative analysis of the Purkinje cell and the granule cell populations in the cerebellum of nude mice
Laboratoire de Neurobiologie du Developpement, URA C N R S 1488, Universite Pierre et Marie Curie, Paris, France
J Neurogenet 9:207-18. 1995
..1981). The present work was aimed at reappraising the claimed anomalies by using quantitative cytological techniques. We counted the Purkinje and the granule cells, on serial sagittal sections stained with thionin, in the ..
- Tandem use of immunofluorescent and DNA staining assays to validate nested PCR detection of mycoplasma
Cell Biology, Institute of Pathology ICMR, P B No 4909, Safdarjang Hospital Campus, New Delhi, Delhi 110029, India
In Vitro Cell Dev Biol Anim 44:189-92. 2008
..sensitivity to detect as low a contamination as a few organisms, was compared with the results from two cytological techniques employed in tandem...
- Development of one set of chromosome-specific microsatellite-containing BACs and their physical mapping in Gossypium hirsutum L
National Key Laboratory of Crop Genetics and Germplasm Enhancement, Cotton Research Institute, Nanjing Agricultural University, Nanjing, 210095, Jiangsu Province, China
Theor Appl Genet 115:675-82. 2007