Genomes and Genes
colony forming units assay
Summary: A cytologic technique for measuring the functional capacity of stem cells by assaying their activity.
Publications210 found, 100 shown here
- The long-term repopulating subset of hematopoietic stem cells is deterministic and isolatable by phenotypeS J Morrison
Department of Pathology, Stanford University School of Medicine, California 94305, USA
Immunity 1:661-73. 1994..The ability to predict the longevity of reconstitution based on lineage marker expression indicates that reconstitution potential is deterministic, not stochastic...
- Chemokine SDF-1 enhances circulating CD34(+) cell proliferation in synergy with cytokines: possible role in progenitor survivalJ J Lataillade
Laboratoire d Immunologie Cellulaire, centre de transfusion sanguine des armées Jean Julliard, Clamart Cedex, France
Blood 95:756-68. 2000..Furthermore, both adhesion-induced CXCR-4 overexpression and SDF-1 stimulating activity may be of clinical relevance for improving cell therapy settings in stem cell transplantation...
- Haploinsufficiency of CBFA2 causes familial thrombocytopenia with propensity to develop acute myelogenous leukaemiaW J Song
Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Nat Genet 23:166-75. 1999..Our findings support a model for FPD/AML in which haploinsufficiency of CBFA2 causes an autosomal dominant congenital platelet defect and predisposes to the acquisition of additional mutations that cause leukaemia...
- Dependence of human stem cell engraftment and repopulation of NOD/SCID mice on CXCR4A Peled
Department of Immunology, The Weizmann Institute of Science, Rehovot 76100, Israel
Science 283:845-8. 1999..Thus, up-regulation of CXCR4 expression may be useful for improving engraftment of repopulating stem cells in clinical transplantation...
- PU.1 regulates both cytokine-dependent proliferation and differentiation of granulocyte/macrophage progenitorsR P DeKoter
Department of Molecular Genetics and Cell Biology, The University of Chicago, IL 60637, USA
EMBO J 17:4456-68. 1998..1 into mutant progenitors restores responsiveness to myeloid-specific cytokines and development of mature granulocytes and macrophages. Thus PU.1 controls myelopoiesis by regulating both proliferation and differentiation pathways...
- Murine marrow-derived mesenchymal stem cell: isolation, in vitro expansion, and characterizationLindolfo da Silva Meirelles
Laboratorio de Imunogenetica, Departamento de Genetica, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, Av Bento Goncalves, Porto Alegre RS, Brasil
Br J Haematol 123:702-11. 2003....
- Hematopoietic stem cell quiescence maintained by p21cip1/waf1T Cheng
Experimental Hematology, AIDS Research Center, Massachusetts General Hospital Cancer Center, Transplantation Biology Research Center, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
Science 287:1804-8. 2000..Under conditions of stress, restricted cell cycling is crucial to prevent premature stem cell depletion and hematopoietic death...
- Adult mouse hematopoietic stem cells: purification and single-cell assaysHideo Ema
Laboratory of Stem Cell Therapy, Center for Experimental Medicine, Institute of Medical Science, University of Tokyo, 4 6 1 Shirokanedai, Minato ku, Tokyo 108 8639, Japan
Nat Protoc 1:2979-87. 2006..Initialization of single-cell culture requires approximately 1 h. Single-cell transplantation requires approximately 6 h. Single-cell immunostaining requires approximately 2 d...
- Stat5 is essential for the myelo- and lymphoproliferative disease induced by TEL/JAK2J Schwaller
Division of Hematology and Oncology, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Mol Cell 6:693-704. 2000..These data define a critical role for Stat5a/b and mOSM in the pathogenesis of TEL/JAK2 disease...
- Circulating endothelial progenitor cells, vascular function, and cardiovascular riskJonathan M Hill
Cardiovascular Branch, National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892 1622, USA
N Engl J Med 348:593-600. 2003....
- The Barrett's antigen anterior gradient-2 silences the p53 transcriptional response to DNA damageElizabeth Pohler
Cancer Research UK Laboratories, Department of Molecular and Cellular Pathology, University of Dundee, Dundee DD1 9SY, United Kingdom
Mol Cell Proteomics 3:534-47. 2004..These data identify anterior gradient-2 as a novel survival factor whose study may shed light on cellular pathways that attenuate the tumor suppressor p53...
- Acquired mutation of the tyrosine kinase JAK2 in human myeloproliferative disordersE Joanna Baxter
Department of Haematology, Cambridge Institute for Medical Research, University of Cambridge, Cambridge, UK
Lancet 365:1054-61. 2005..We investigated the role of the cytoplasmic tyrosine kinase JAK2 in patients with a myeloproliferative disorder...
- Number and function of endothelial progenitor cells as a marker of severity for diabetic vasculopathyGian Paolo Fadini
Department of Clinical and Experimental Medicine, Division of Metabolic Diseases, University of Padova, School of Medicine, Italy
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 26:2140-6. 2006..This study aimed to establish whether number and function of EPCs correlate with PAD severity in type 2 diabetic patients...
- Nuclear factor-kappaB enhances ErbB2-induced mammary tumorigenesis and neoangiogenesis in vivoManran Liu
Department of Cancer Biology, Kimmel Cancer Center, Jefferson Stem Cell and Regenerative Medicine Center, Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19107, USA
Am J Pathol 174:1910-20. 2009..Thus, mammary epithelial cell NF-kappaB activity enhances ErbB2-mediated mammary tumorigenesis in vivo by promoting both growth and survival signaling via the promotion of tumor vasculogenesis...
- Global gene expression profile of human cord blood-derived CD133+ cellsTaina Jaatinen
Finnish Red Cross Blood Service, Kivihaantie 7, 00310 Helsinki, Finland
Stem Cells 24:631-41. 2006..This study provides a gene expression profile for human CD133+ cells. It presents a set of genes that may be used to unravel the properties of the CD133+ cell population, assumed to be highly enriched in HSCs...
- Comparative analysis of methods for assessment of circulating endothelial progenitor cellsJacob George
The Department of Cardiology, Tel Aviv University, Israel
Tissue Eng 12:331-5. 2006..These findings may suggest that CD34/KDR is more appropriate for the definition of circulating EPC, whereas CFU numbers are more likely to reflect their ability to proliferate...
- MOZ-TIF2, but not BCR-ABL, confers properties of leukemic stem cells to committed murine hematopoietic progenitorsBrian J P Huntly
Division of Hematology, Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Cancer Cell 6:587-96. 2004..These data demonstrate that some, but not all, leukemia oncogenes can confer properties of leukemic stem cells to hematopoietic progenitors destined to undergo apoptotic cell death...
- The granulocyte colony-stimulating factor receptor is required for the mobilization of murine hematopoietic progenitors into peripheral blood by cyclophosphamide or interleukin-8 but not flt-3 ligandF Liu
Department of Medicine, Washington University Medical School, St Louis, MO 63110 1093, USA
Blood 90:2522-8. 1997..These results show that the G-CSFR is required for mobilization in response to cyclophosphamide or IL-8 but not flt-3 ligand and suggest that the G-CSFR may play an important and previously unexpected role in HPC migration...
- Haploinsufficiency of AML1 affects the temporal and spatial generation of hematopoietic stem cells in the mouse embryoZ Cai
Department of Pathology, St Jude Children s Research Hospital, Memphis, Tennessee 38105, USA
Immunity 13:423-31. 2000..Moreover, haploinsufficiency results in a dramatic change in the temporal and spatial distribution of HSCs, leading to their early appearance in the normal position in the aorta-gonad-mesonephros region and also in the yolk sac...
- Foxm1b transcription factor is essential for development of hepatocellular carcinomas and is negatively regulated by the p19ARF tumor suppressorVladimir V Kalinichenko
University of Illinois at Chicago, College of Medicine, Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Genetics, Chicago, Illinois 60607, USA
Genes Dev 18:830-50. 2004..Our studies demonstrate that the Foxm1b transcription factor is required for proliferative expansion during tumor progression and constitutes a potential new target for therapy of human HCC tumors...
- Survivin regulates hematopoietic progenitor cell proliferation through p21WAF1/Cip1-dependent and -independent pathwaysSeiji Fukuda
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Walther Oncology Center, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
Blood 103:120-7. 2004....
- Hematopoietic progenitor/stem cells immortalized by Lhx2 generate functional hematopoietic cells in vivoPerpétua Pinto do Ó
Department of Molecular Biology, Umea University, Sweden
Blood 99:3939-46. 2002..Thus, Lhx2 immortalizes multipotent hematopoietic progenitor/stem cells that can generate functional progeny following transplantation into lethally irradiated hosts and can long-term repopulate stem cell-deficient hosts...
- Myeloid development is selectively disrupted in PU.1 null miceK L Anderson
The Burnham Institute, La Jolla, CA, USA
Blood 91:3702-10. 1998..1 gene disruption affects a number of developmentally regulated hematopoietic processes that can, at least in part, explain the changes in myeloid development and reduction in myeloid and neutrophil expansion observed in PU.1 null mice...
- Dominant myelopoietic effector functions mediated by chemokine receptor CCR1H E Broxmeyer
Department of Microbiology Immunology, The Department of Medicine, and the Walther Oncology Center, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, Indiana 46202, USA
J Exp Med 189:1987-92. 1999..CCR1 is not a dominant receptor for MIP-1alpha suppression of MPC proliferation, but it does negatively impact G-CSF-induced MPC mobilization...
- Lhx2 expression in hematopoietic progenitor/stem cells in vivo causes a chronic myeloproliferative disorder and altered globin expressionKarin Richter
Umeå Center for Molecular Medicine, Umea University, 901 87 Umea, Sweden
Haematologica 88:1336-47. 2003..We have previously shown that Lhx2 expression in mouse HSC generates cytokine-dependent stem cell-like cell lines that can produce long-term repopulation in stem cell-deficient mice...
- Identification and characterization of an inhibitor of haemopoietic stem cell proliferationG J Graham
Beatson Institute for Cancer Research, Glasgow, UK
Nature 344:442-4. 1990....
- Chemokine regulation of hematopoiesis and the involvement of pertussis toxin-sensitive G alpha i proteinsH E Broxmeyer
Departments of Microbiology and Immunology, and Medicine Hematology Oncology, The Walther Oncology Center, Indiana University School of Medicine, and the Walther Cancer Institute, Indianapolis, Indiana 46202, USA
Ann N Y Acad Sci 938:117-27; discussion 127-8. 2001..These results suggest that not all chemokine-mediated effects on MPCs are necessarily mediated through pertussis toxin-sensitive G alpha i proteins...
- Molecular and cellular characterisation of highly purified stromal stem cells derived from human bone marrowStan Gronthos
Mesenchymal Stem Cell Group, Division of Haematology, Institute of Medical and Veterinary Science, Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
J Cell Sci 116:1827-35. 2003..Our novel selection protocol provides a means to generate purified populations of BMSSCs for use in a range of different tissue engineering and gene therapy strategies...
- Selective functional exhaustion of hematopoietic progenitor cells in the bone marrow of patients with postinfarction heart failureChristine K Kissel
Department of Cardiology, Johann Wolfgang Goethe University Frankfurt, Frankfurt, Germany
J Am Coll Cardiol 49:2341-9. 2007....
- Mesenchymal stem cells derived from CD133-positive cells in mobilized peripheral blood and cord blood: proliferation, Oct4 expression, and plasticityTatiana Tondreau
Jules Bordet Institute, 121 Bd de Waterloo, 1000 Brussels, Belgium
Stem Cells 23:1105-12. 2005..The selection of CD133-positive cells enabled us to obtain a homogeneous population of MSCs from UCB and MPB. These sources may have a major clinical importance thanks to their easy accessibility...
- Regulation of macrophage and neutrophil cell fates by the PU.1:C/EBPalpha ratio and granulocyte colony-stimulating factorRichard Dahl
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, University of Pennsylvania, School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
Nat Immunol 4:1029-36. 2003..1. Collectively, these results indicate that cytokines can promote cell fate decisions by altering the relative concentrations of lineage-determining transcriptional regulators...
- A common precursor for hematopoietic and endothelial cellsK Choi
Department of Pathology, University of Maryland at Baltimore, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
Development 125:725-32. 1998..These findings provide strong evidence that the blast colony-forming cell represents the long-hypothesized hemangioblast, the common precursor of the hematopoietic and endothelial lineages...
- Hereditary anemias of the mouse: a review for geneticistsE S Russell
Adv Genet 20:357-459. 1979
- Expression and function of c-kit in hemopoietic progenitor cellsM Ogawa
Department of Pathology, Kumamoto University Medical School, Japan
J Exp Med 174:63-71. 1991..These results provide direct evidence that c-kit is an essential molecule for constitutive intramarrow hemopoiesis, especially for the self-renewal of hemopoietic progenitor cells at various stages of differentiation...
- Bone marrow mobilization with granulocyte macrophage colony-stimulating factor improves endothelial dysfunction and exercise capacity in patients with peripheral arterial diseaseVeerappan Subramaniyam
Division of Cardiology, Emory University School of Medicine, 1364 Clifton Rd, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
Am Heart J 158:53-60.e1. 2009....
- Hyaluronic acid facilitates the recovery of hematopoiesis following 5-fluorouracil administrationVera Y Matrosova
National Cancer Institute Frederick Cancer Research and Development Center, Frederick, Maryland, USA
Stem Cells 22:544-55. 2004..Overall, our results suggest that HA is required for regulation of the hematopoiesis-supportive function of bone marrow accessory cells and, therefore, participates in hematopoietic niche assembly...
- Maintaining the self-renewal and differentiation potential of human CD34+ hematopoietic cells using a single genetic elementJames C Mulloy
Cincinnati Children s Hospital Medical Center, 3333 Burnet Ave, Mail Location 7013, Cincinnati, OH 45229, USA
Blood 102:4369-76. 2003....
- Endothelial selectins and vascular cell adhesion molecule-1 promote hematopoietic progenitor homing to bone marrowP S Frenette
The Center for Blood Research, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 95:14423-8. 1998..Optimal recruitment of HPC after lethal doses of irradiation requires the combined action of both selectins and VCAM-1 expressed on endothelium of the BM...
- Hematopoietic stem cell deficiencies in mice lacking c-Mpl, the receptor for thrombopoietinS Kimura
The Walter and Eliza Hall Institute for Medical Research and The Cooperative Research Centre for Cellular Growth Factors PO Royal Melbourne Hospital, Victoria 3050, Australia
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 95:1195-200. 1998..These data imply that TPO, signaling through c-Mpl, plays a vital physiological role in the regulation of hematopoietic stem cell production and function...
- Aging, exercise, and endothelial progenitor cell clonogenic and migratory capacity in menGreta L Hoetzer
Integrative Vascular Biology Laboratory, Dept of Integrative Physiology, University of Colorado, Boulder, CO 80309, USA
J Appl Physiol 102:847-52. 2007..Regular aerobic-endurance exercise, however, is an effective lifestyle intervention strategy for improving EPC clonogenic and migratory capacity in middle-aged and older healthy men...
- Endothelial progenitor cells and endothelial dysfunctionJ M Hill
The Laboratory of Molecular Biology Cardiology Branch of the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD, USA
Vox Sang 87:31-7. 2004
- Increased apoptosis of bone marrow CD34(+) cells and impaired function of bone marrow stromal cells in patients with systemic lupus erythematosusH A Papadaki
Department of Haematology, University of Crete School of Medicine, Crete, Greece
Br J Haematol 115:167-74. 2001..We concluded that defective haemopoiesis in SLE patients is probably caused, at least in part, to the presence of autoreactive lymphocytes in BM...
- Two distinct stem cell lineages in murine bone marrowYoko Koide
Department of Physiology, Keio University School of Medicine, 35 Shinanomachi, Shinjuku ku, Tokyo 160 8582, Japan
Stem Cells 25:1213-21. 2007..The results may reinforce the urgent need for a more comprehensive view of the mesenchymal stem cell identity and characteristics. Disclosure of potential conflicts of interest is found at the end of this article...
- Cellular ITAM-containing proteins are oncoproteins in nonhematopoietic cellsS M Grande
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Oncogene 25:2748-57. 2006..Despite lacking intrinsic enzymatic activity, ITAM-containing proteins can function as potent oncoproteins by scaffolding downstream mediators...
- Endothelial colony forming capacity is related to C-reactive protein levels in healthy subjectsMichele M Ciulla
Istituto di Medicina Cardiovascolare, Centro di Fisiologia Clinica e Ipertensione, Universita di Milano, Fondazione Ospedale Maggiore Policlinico, Mangiagalli e Regina Elena, IRCCS, Italy
Curr Neurovasc Res 3:99-106. 2006..The EPC clonogenic potential seems to be related to hs-CRP and VEGF levels even in healthy population supporting the concept that these mediators are involved in physiological ECs function...
- Murine embryonic stem cells secrete cytokines/growth modulators that enhance cell survival/anti-apoptosis and stimulate colony formation of murine hematopoietic progenitor cellsYing Guo
Department of Microbiology Immunology, Walther Oncology Center, Indiana University School of Medicine, 950 West Walnut Street, R2 302, Indianapolis, Indiana 46202, USA
Stem Cells 24:850-6. 2006....
- Unresolved questions, changing definitions, and novel paradigms for defining endothelial progenitor cellsDavid A Ingram
Department of Pediatrics, Herman B Wells Center for Pediatric Research, Indiana University School of Medicine, 1044 W Walnut St, R4 402e, Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
Blood 106:1525-31. 2005..The potential implications of this view in relation to current EPC definitions are discussed...
- SCID-repopulating cell activity of human cord blood-derived CD34- cells assured by intra-bone marrow injectionJianfeng Wang
Department of Hygiene, Kyoto Prefectural University of Medicine, Kawaramachi Hirokoji, Kamigyoku, Kyoto, Japan
Blood 101:2924-31. 2003....
- T-lymphoid, megakaryocyte, and granulocyte development are sensitive to decreases in CBFbeta dosageLaleh Talebian
Division of Hematology Oncology, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA 19104 6160, USA
Blood 109:11-21. 2007..Our data define a critical CBFbeta threshold for normal T-cell development, and situate an essential role for core-binding factors during the earliest stages of T-cell development...
- Translational control of SCL-isoform expression in hematopoietic lineage choiceCornelis F Calkhoven
Max Delbruck Center for Molecular Medicine, Berlin, Germany
Genes Dev 17:959-64. 2003..In comparison, full-length SCL proteins are more efficient at enhancing the megakaryocyte lineage. Together, our studies unravel translational control as a novel mechanism regulating hematopoietic outcome...
- Obligate role of anti-apoptotic MCL-1 in the survival of hematopoietic stem cellsJoseph T Opferman
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Department of Cancer Immunology and AIDS, Pathology and Medicine, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Science 307:1101-4. 2005..Deletion of Mcl-1 in other tissues, including liver, did not impair survival. Thus, MCL-1 is a critical and specific regulator essential for ensuring the homeostasis of early hematopoietic progenitors...
- Cryopreservation of human embryonic stem cells without the use of a programmable freezerSung Yun Ha
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, College of Medicine, Seoul National University, Seoul, 110 744, Korea
Hum Reprod 20:1779-85. 2005..The aim of this study was to find an optimal cryopreservation protocol for human ES cells using slow freezing-rapid thawing without a programmable freezer...
- Primary murine MSC show highly efficient homing to the bone marrow but lose homing ability following cultureW J C Rombouts
Department of Haematology, Erasmus Medical Center, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Leukemia 17:160-70. 2003..These data suggest that in vitro propagation of BM-derived MSC dramatically decreases their homing to BM and spleen...
- Reduced lymphomyeloid repopulating activity from adult bone marrow and fetal liver of mice lacking expression of STAT5Kevin D Bunting
Hematopoiesis Department, American Red Cross Holland Laboratory, Rockville, MD, USA
Blood 99:479-87. 2002..These results demonstrate that a significant proportion of the growth factor signals required for multilineage reconstitution potential of HSCs is STAT5 dependent...
- The AML1 transcription factor functions to develop and maintain hematogenic precursor cells in the embryonic aorta-gonad-mesonephros regionY Mukouyama
Institute of Molecular and Cellular Biosciences, University of Tokyo, 1 1 1 Yayoi, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo, 113, Japan
Dev Biol 220:27-36. 2000..5-dpc period. All these results support the notion that the AML1 transcription factor functions to develop and maintain hematogenic precursor cells in the embryonic P-Sp/AGM region...
- Differential requirements for survivin in hematopoietic cell developmentSandeep Gurbuxani
The Ben May Institute for Cancer Research and Department of Pathology, University of Chicago, Chicago, IL 60637, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 102:11480-5. 2005..Together, these studies show that whereas survivin expression is essential for megakaryocyte and erythroid progenitors, its down-regulation is required for terminal differentiation of megakaryocytes...
- Functional antagonism of the Polycomb-Group genes eed and Bmi1 in hemopoietic cell proliferationJ Lessard
Laboratory of Molecular Genetics of Hemopoietic Stem Cells, Clinical Research Institute of Montreal, Montreal, Quebec H2W 1R7, Canada
Genes Dev 13:2691-703. 1999..These studies thus suggest that hemopoietic cell proliferation is regulated by the relative contribution of repressive (Eed-containing) and enhancing (Bmi1-containing) PcG gene complexes...
- Yersinia pseudotuberculosis disseminates directly from a replicating bacterial pool in the intestinePenelope D Barnes
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Tufts University School of Medicine, Boston, MA 02111, USA
J Exp Med 203:1591-601. 2006..pseudotuberculosis to successfully establish replication in the intestinal lumen and does not result from ordered spread leading from the intestine to regional lymph nodes before dissemination...
- Different biological properties of circulating and bone marrow endothelial progenitor cells in acute myocardial infarction ratsZ Xin
The Division of Cardiology, Shanghai Sixth Hospital, Shanghai Jiaotong University School of Medicine, Shanghai, China
Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 56:441-8. 2008..Many studies have shown that endothelial progenitor cell (EPC) can enhance the neovascularization of the ischemic myocardium. Peripheral blood and bone marrow are the most convenient resources for EPC...
- Identification of a nonsense mutation in the granulocyte-colony-stimulating factor receptor in severe congenital neutropeniaF Dong
Dr Daniel den Hoed Cancer Center, Department of Hematology, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 91:4480-4. 1994..The mutant receptor chain may act in a dominant negative manner to block granulocytic maturation...
- Decreased number and impaired angiogenic function of endothelial progenitor cells in patients with chronic renal failureJin Ho Choi
Department of Medicine, Samsung Medical Center, Sungkyunkwan University School of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 24:1246-52. 2004..We hypothesized that altered EPC biology may contribute to the pathophysiology of CRF...
- Validation and development of a predictive paradigm for hemotoxicology using a multifunctional bioluminescence colony-forming proliferation assayIvan N Rich
HemoGenix, Inc, Colorado Springs, 80907, USA
Toxicol Sci 87:427-41. 2005..When performed during early drug screening, the prediction value of the assay should help reduce time and cost, but above all, provide increase efficacy and safety for the patient...
- Hematopoietic-repopulating defects from STAT5-deficient bone marrow are not fully accounted for by loss of thrombopoietin responsivenessHeath L Bradley
Hematopoiesis Department, Jerome H Holland Laboratory for the Biomedical Sciences, American Red Cross, Rockville, MD 20855, USA
Blood 103:2965-72. 2004..These results indicate substantial overlap in c-Mpl-STAT5 signaling defects at the MPP/HSC level but indicate that STAT5 is activated independent of c-Mpl to promote multilineage hematopoietic differentiation...
- Fibroblast growth factor-1 and -2 preserve long-term repopulating ability of hematopoietic stem cells in serum-free culturesJoyce S G Yeoh
Department of Cell Biology, Section Stem Cell Biology, University Medical Centre Groningen, Antonius, The Netherlands
Stem Cells 24:1564-72. 2006..Importantly, although HSC activity is typically rapidly lost after short-term culture in vitro, our current protocol allows us to sustain stem cell repopulation potential for periods up to 5 weeks...
- In vitro hematotoxicity testing in drug development: a review of past, present and future applicationsIvan N Rich
HemoGenix LLC, PO Box 1093, Irmo, SC 29063, USA
Curr Opin Drug Discov Devel 6:100-9. 2003..Chronotoxicology and chronotherapeutics constitute a special application, and can predict the best time of the day to administer anticancer drugs...
- Efficient mobilization of haematopoietic progenitors after a single injection of pegylated recombinant human granulocyte colony-stimulating factor in mouse strains with distinct marrow-cell pool sizesG de Haan
Department of Cell Biology, University of Groningen, Groningen, The Netherlands
Br J Haematol 110:638-46. 2000..Comparison of the AKXL strain distribution pattern for marrow cellularity with loci previously mapped in these strains showed complete concordance with Aat, a serine protease inhibitor mapping to chromosome 12...
- Depletion of endothelial progenitor cells in the peripheral blood of patients with rheumatoid arthritisJohannes Grisar
Division of Rheumatology, Department of Internal Medicine III, Medical University of Vienna, Waehringer Guertel 18 20, A 1090 Vienna, Austria
Circulation 111:204-11. 2005..Because the quantity of endothelial progenitor cells (EPCs) in the peripheral blood is correlated inversely with cardiovascular risk, we studied whether such abnormalities could also be observed in patients with RA...
- Molecular pathways in bone marrow homing: dominant role of alpha(4)beta(1) over beta(2)-integrins and selectinsT Papayannopoulou
Division of Hematology, University of Washington, Seattle 98195 7710, USA
Blood 98:2403-11. 2001....
- Circulating endothelial progenitor cells predict coronary artery disease severityGeoffrey A Kunz
Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Am Heart J 152:190-5. 2006..Previous studies have shown an association between EPC numbers and the presence of traditional coronary artery disease (CAD) risk factors. The relationship between EPC numbers and the severity of atherosclerosis is, however, not known...
- Differential expression of homeobox genes in functionally distinct CD34+ subpopulations of human bone marrow cellsG Sauvageau
Terry Fox Laboratory, British Columbia Cancer Agency, Canada
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 91:12223-7. 1994..These results demonstrate the expression of a broad range of Hox genes in primitive hematopoietic cells and point to the existence of a regulated program of Hox gene expression during their normal development...
- Reduced circulating angiogenic cells in Alzheimer diseaseS T Lee
Department of Neurology, Seoul National University Hospital, 101, Daehangno, Jongno gu, Seoul 110 744, South Korea
Neurology 72:1858-63. 2009..To study the involvement of CACs in AD pathogenesis, we investigated the levels of CACs in patients with AD...
- Normal human bone marrow CD34(+)CD133(+) cells contain primitive cells able to produce different categories of colony-forming unit megakaryocytes in vitroSabine Charrier
Secteur d Etude en Hématopoi èse SEHM, Laboratoire d Hematologie, Faculte de Medecine et de Pharmacie, Clermont Ferrand Cedex, France
Exp Hematol 30:1051-60. 2002....
- Enhancement of long-term proliferative capacity of rabbit corneal epithelial cells by embryonic stem cell conditioned mediumYing Liu
State Key Laboratory of Ophthalmology, Sun Yat Sen University, Guangzhou, P R China
Tissue Eng Part C Methods 16:793-802. 2010..Our findings indicate that this new ESC-CM culture system can generate low-immunogenic autologous cells sufficiently for use in regenerative medicine...
- Transgenic expression of stromal cell-derived factor-1/CXC chemokine ligand 12 enhances myeloid progenitor cell survival/antiapoptosis in vitro in response to growth factor withdrawal and enhances myelopoiesis in vivoHal E Broxmeyer
Department of Microbiology Immunology, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
J Immunol 170:421-9. 2003..These results substantiate survival effects of SDF-1/CXCL12, now extended to progenitors engineered to endogenously produce low levels of this cytokine, and demonstrate activity in vivo for SDF-1/CXCL12 in addition to cell trafficking...
- Plastic adherent stromal cells from the bone marrow of commonly used strains of inbred mice: variations in yield, growth, and differentiationD G Phinney
Center for Gene Therapy, MCP Hahnemann University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19102, USA
J Cell Biochem 72:570-85. 1999..Our results point to significant strain differences in the properties of MSCs and indicate that standard methods cannot be applied to murine bone marrow to isolate relatively pure populations of MSCs...
- Immunophenotype of human adipose-derived cells: temporal changes in stromal-associated and stem cell-associated markersJames B Mitchell
Cognate Therapeutics, Inc, Baltimore, MD, USA
Stem Cells 24:376-85. 2006....
- Bipotential B-macrophage progenitors are present in adult bone marrowE Montecino-Rodriguez
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine and the Jonsson Comprehensive Cancer Center, UCLA School of Medicine, Los Angeles, CA 90095-1732, USA
Nat Immunol 2:83-8. 2001..In addition to the definition of this B-lineage intermediate, the data indicate that a developmental relationship between the B and macrophage lineages is retained during postnatal hematopoiesis...
- Overexpression of HOXA10 perturbs human lymphomyelopoiesis in vitro and in vivoC Buske
The Terry Fox Laboratory, British Columbia Cancer Agency, and the Departments of Medicine and Medical Genetics, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC, Canada
Blood 97:2286-92. 2001..These results also provide a framework to initiate more detailed analyses of HOX regulatory domains and HOX cofactors in the human system in vitro and in vivo...
- Regulation of hemangioblast developmentG Lacaud
Institute for Gene Therapy and Molecular Medicine, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, Box 1496, 1425 Madison Avenue, New York, New York 10029-6514, USA
Ann N Y Acad Sci 938:96-107; discussion 108. 2001..In addition, they highlight the strength of this model system in studying the function of genes in embryonic development...
- Isolation and characterization of canine hematopoietic progenitor cellsG P Niemeyer
Scott-Ritchey Research Center, College of Veterinary Medicine, Auburn University, Ala, USA
Exp Hematol 29:686-93. 2001..The development of methods for purification and characterization of canine hematopoietic progenitor cells should enhance the utilization of the canine model for a variety of experimental and therapeutic purposes...
- The relative quiescence of hematopoietic stem cells in nonhuman primatesN Mahmud
Hematology/Oncology Section and Transplantation Surgery Section, Biologic Resources Laboratory, University of Illinois College of Medicine, Chicago 60607-7173, USA
Blood 97:3061-8. 2001..The relative quiescence of PHSCs observed in this nonhuman primate model, in contrast to murine PHSCs, might explain the current barriers to genetic modification and ex vivo expansion of human PHSCs...
- tat protein stimulates production of transforming growth factor-beta 1 by marrow macrophages: a potential mechanism for human immunodeficiency virus-1-induced hematopoietic suppressionG Zauli
Institute of Microbiology, University of Bologna, Italy
Blood 80:3036-43. 1992....
- Local environmental factors determine hematopoietic differentiation of neural stem cellsS Filip
Department of Oncology and Radiotherapy, Charles University Hospital, 500 05 Hradec Kralove, Czech Republic
Stem Cells Dev 13:113-20. 2004..We also conclude that the bone marrow does not provide an environment supportive of hematopoietic differentiation by neural stem cells...
- Identification of hematopoietic stem/progenitor cells: strength and drawbacks of functional assaysLaure Coulombel
INSERM U 421, Faculte de Medecine, 8 rue du General Sarrail, Creteil 94010, France
Oncogene 23:7210-22. 2004..Nevertheless, years of progress in the manipulation of hematopoietic stem cells have recently resulted in the purification of a cell subset that repopulates irradiated recipients with absolute efficiency...
- [Effect of panaxadiol saponin and panaxtrol saponin on proliferation of human bone marrow hemopoietic progenitor cells]Yang Ping Niu
College of Pharmacy, Zhejiang University of Technology, Hangzhou 310014
Zhongguo Zhong Xi Yi Jie He Za Zhi 24:127-9, 132. 2004..To observe the effect of panaxadiol saponin (PDS) and panaxtrol saponin (PTS) on proliferation of human bone marrow hemopoietic progenitor cells (HPC)...
- Stem cell factor and FLT3-ligand are strictly required to sustain the long-term expansion of primitive CD34+DR- dendritic cell precursorsA Curti
, University of Bologna, Bologna, Italy
J Immunol 166:848-54. 2001..Conversely, FLT3-L and SCF do not directly affect DC differentiation, but instead sustain the long-term expansion of CFU-DC, which can be induced to produce mature DC by GM-CSF and TNF-alpha...
- Functional characterization of human CD34+ cells that express low or high levels of the membrane antigen CD111 (nectin 1)G Belaaloui
Centre de Thérapie Cellulaire et Génique, Institut Paoli Calmettes, Centre Régional de Lutte Contre le Cancer Provence Alpes Côte d Azur, 232 Boulevard Sainte Marguerite, 13273 Marseille Cedex 9, France
Leukemia 17:1137-45. 2003..In conclusion, immature human hematopoietic progenitors express low levels of CD111 on their surface. During erythroid differentiation CD34+ cells acquire higher levels of the CD111 antigen...
- Hematopoietic defects in mice lacking the sialomucin CD34J Cheng
Department of Molecular Oncology, Genentech, Inc, South San Francisco, CA, 94108, USA
Blood 87:479-90. 1996..However, the hematopoietic sites of adult CD34-deficient mice may still have a significant reservoir of progenitor cells that allows for normal recovery after nonmyeloablative peripheral cell depletion...
- Implication of a new molecule IK in CD34+ hematopoietic progenitor cell proliferation and differentiationL X Cao
Division of Hematology, State University of New York, Stony Brook, USA
Blood 89:3615-23. 1997....
- Transcription elongation factor S-II is required for definitive hematopoiesisTakahiro Ito
Division of Developmental Biochemistry, Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Tokyo, Hongo 7 3 1, Bunkyo, Tokyo 113 0033
Mol Cell Biol 26:3194-203. 2006..Thus, S-II has critical and nonredundant roles in definitive hematopoiesis...
- Novel role of interleukin 7 in myelopoiesis: stimulation of primitive murine hematopoietic progenitor cellsF W Jacobsen
Department of Immunology, Norwegian Radium Hospital, Montebello, Oslo, Norway
J Exp Med 178:1777-82. 1993..Thus, in addition to its established lymphopoietic potential, this study implicates a novel role of IL-7 in early myelopoiesis...
- Efficient hematopoietic differentiation of human embryonic stem cells on stromal cells derived from hematopoietic nichesMaria H Ledran
North East Institute for Stem Cell Research, Newcastle University, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Cell Stem Cell 3:85-98. 2008..Overall, our findings represent significant progress toward the goal of deriving functional hematopoietic stem cells from hESCs...
- Concise review: hematopoietic stem cells and tissue stem cells: current concepts and unanswered questionsDonald Metcalf
The Walter and Eliza Hall Institute of Medical Research, 1G Royal Parade, Parkville, Victoria 3050, Australia
Stem Cells 25:2390-5. 2007..Disclosure of potential conflicts of interest is found at the end of this article...
- Transduction of human hematopoietic stem cells by lentiviral vectors pseudotyped with the RD114-TR chimeric envelope glycoproteinF Di Nunzio
MolMed, 20132 Milan, Italy
Hum Gene Ther 18:811-20. 2007..RD114-TR is compatible with the development of lentiviral stable packaging cell lines, and may become the envelope of choice for clinical studies aiming at safe and efficient genetic modification of human hematopoietic stem cells...
- Mesenchymal stromal cells from umbilical cord bloodKaren Bieback
Institute of Transfusion Medicine and Immunology, German Red Cross Blood Donor Service Baden Wuerttemberg Hessen gGmbH, Medical Faculty Mannheim, University of Heidelberg, Germany
Curr Stem Cell Res Ther 2:310-23. 2007....
- Genetic control of the frequency of hematopoietic stem cells in mice: mapping of a candidate locus to chromosome 1C E Muller-Sieburg
Medical Biology Institute, La Jolla, California 92037, USA
J Exp Med 183:1141-50. 1996..We have named this gene Scfr1 (stem cell frequency regulator 1). The allelic forms of this gene may be an important predictor of stem cell number and thus would be useful for evaluating cell sources in clinical stem cell transplantation...
- CD34(+) cord blood cells expressing cutaneous lymphocyte-associated antigen are enriched in granulocyte-macrophage progenitors and support extensive amplification of dendritic cell progenitorsJ F Arrighi
Allergology Unit, Division of Immunology and Allergology, Geneva University Hospital, Geneva, Switzerland
Exp Hematol 29:1029-37. 2001..In addition, cultures of CD34(+)CLA(+) cells from cord blood produced CD34(+)CLA(-) cells, suggesting that these cells may derive directly from CD34(+)CLA(+) cells in vivo...
- Persisting multilineage transgene expression in the clonal progeny of a hematopoietic stem cellZ Li
Experimental Cell Therapy, Department of Hematology and Oncology, Hannover Medical School, Hannover, Germany
Leukemia 16:1655-63. 2002....
- Possibility of progenitor cell mobilization during the hematological recovery following peripheral blood stem cell autograftMaria Stefania De Propris
Dipartimento di Biotecnologia Cellulari ed Ematologia, Universita La Sapienza, Roma, Italia
Acta Haematol 109:57-63. 2003..However, when the clonogenic potential of a single CD34+ cell was evaluated, no major differences in the number of colonies produced per CD34+ cell were found between the two groups...
- Cellular copper content modulates differentiation and self-renewal in cultures of cord blood-derived CD34+ cellsTony Peled
Gamida Cell Ltd, Jerusalem, Israel
Br J Haematol 116:655-61. 2002..This novel method of controlling cell proliferation and differentiation by copper and copper chelators might be utilized for ex vivo manipulation of HPC for various clinical applications...
- Transduced CD34+ cells from adrenoleukodystrophy patients with HIV-derived vector mediate long-term engraftment of NOD/SCID miceSonia Benhamida
INSERM U561, Hopital Saint Vincent de Paul, 75014 Paris, France
Mol Ther 7:317-24. 2003..Transplantation of transduced ALD CD34(+) cells into NOD/SCID mice resulted in long-term expression of ALD protein in monocytes/macrophages derived from engrafted stem cells...
- Endothelial Progenitor Cells in Brain Arteriovenous MalformationsYongmei Chen; Fiscal Year: 2010..EPC function will be determined by colony forming units assay. The primary outcome will be EPC number, function and plasma VEGF level...
- Reprogramming committed blood cells to a hematopoietic stem cell fateDerrick J Rossi; Fiscal Year: 2013..In terms of clinical application, if successful, our study opens the possibility of eventually generating patient- specific induced HSCs for use in bone marrow transplantation, or for the study of blood disorders. ..
- CONTROL OF HEMATOPOIETIC TOXICITY WITH INTERLEUKIN-1VINCENT GALLICCHIO; Fiscal Year: 1990..Toward this long-term goal to develop a specific agent(s) that may either enhance the recovery of blood cell production or reduce hematopoietic damage as the result of chemotherapy, therefore, may have important clinical applications...
- Multivariate Analysis for Molecular Toxicology ScreeningSeth Michelson; Fiscal Year: 2002..proposed commercial application: ..
- Optimizing Assays of Human Stem Cells in Bone MarrowGeorge Muschler; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- BASIC STUDIES OF EXPERIMENTAL TUMOR MODELSRobert Sutherland; Fiscal Year: 1992....
- Age-Related Changes in Epidermal Stem CellsRuby Ghadially; Fiscal Year: 2001..abstract_text> ..
- Epidermal Stem Cells: Age-Related ChangesRuby Ghadially; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- CHEMOKINES/CYTOKINES AND RECEPTORS IN STEM CELL HOMINGHal Broxmeyer; Fiscal Year: 2005..These studies should clarity the relevance of SDF-1 and CXCR4 for homing/engraftment and mobilization of primary stem/progenitor cells. ..
- GLOBIN SWITCHING AND ERYTHROID DIFFERENTIATIONThalia Papayannopoulou; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- BIOLOGICAL PROPERTIES AND REGULATION OF STEM CELLSThalia Papayannopoulou; Fiscal Year: 2009..We believe that the proposed studies will enhance our understanding and provide a more comprehensive picture of the influence of <x4 integrins on prenatal and postnatal hematopoiesis. ..
- Stem Cell AssaysMark Chee; Fiscal Year: 2008..In the longer term, pluripotent cells have the potential to be used in regenerative medicine, which will require reliable assays for pluripotence. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Ras-PI3K Pathway in Nf1-/-Hematopoiesis and LeukemiaDavid Ingram; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Program Project Grant-Pathobiology of Paget's DiseaseG Roodman; Fiscal Year: 2007..The knowledge gained from this P01 grant will offer important insights for normal bone cell biology especially for understanding the paracrine regulation of osteoblasts by OCLs. ..
- The Role of MLL-AF9 in Acute Myeloid LeukemiaJames C Mulloy; Fiscal Year: 2010..RELEVANCE (See instructions): We have recently shown that human blood stem cells can be induced to make leukemia upon introduction ..
- Regulation of HSC self-renewal by morphogensLOUISE PURTON; Fiscal Year: 2007..Our data suggest that a vitamin A compound may be very useful in improving both of these approaches. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Transformation of Cells by the REL OncogeneThomas Gilmore; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- RUNX-fusion Target Genes in Normal and Leukemic HematopoiesisJAMES MULLOY; Fiscal Year: 2007..Understanding the modulation of the self-renewal process by these fusion proteins could give insight into the normal mechanisms of self-renewal employed by the stem cell. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Conference on immune suppression in cancerDmitry Gabrilovich; Fiscal Year: 2007..tumor escape of immune system control; [unreadable] Review and discuss how our knowledge of new mechanisms of tumor associated immune suppression can be translated into new therapeutics [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Development of SL-101, An Immunotoxin that Targets Cancer Stem CellsMalcolm Moore; Fiscal Year: 2006..This Phase I STTR grant will cover the development of SL-101 through key phases of pre-clinical development. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Paget's Disease of Bone/Dysplasia:Advances/ChallengesG Roodman; Fiscal Year: 2006..to become aware of the effectiveness of the various drugs that can be used to treat the two disorders; 5.) to understand the role of surgery in managing the two disorders. ..
- Analysis of CD81-PGRL complex on T cellsSTEPHEN CHAPES; Fiscal Year: 2007..The coordinated effect of CD81, PGRL and EP3 on T cell integrin activity measured by adhesion to or motility on ICAMs. ..
- P53 Based Vaccine for Small Cell Lung CancerDmitry Gabrilovich; Fiscal Year: 2007..Specific Aim 2. Determine the immune modifying effect of immunization and chemotherapy on p53-specific immunity. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- NATIONAL GENE VECTOR LABORATORY AT INDIANA UNIVERSITYKenneth Cornetta; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Role of Placenta Growth factor in Sickle ACSMALIK PUNAM; Fiscal Year: 2008..VEGFR-antagonists are in clinical trials and leukotriene blockers are FDA approved and in clinical use for asthma and could be candidates for an ACS prevention trial. ..
- Cord Blood Expansion and Transplantation in a Nonhuman Primate ModelHans Peter Kiem; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- OSTEOCLASTS FROM TRANSGENIC MICEG Roodman; Fiscal Year: 2009..Our long-term goal will be to characterize the role of ADAM8/a9b1 in the bone destruction which accompanies collagen induced arthritis, which will be started in grant year 5. ..
- Fox Chase Cancer Center Breast Cancer Tissue ResourcesJose Russo; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- Interaction of AIDS-associated microbes with radiationEkaterina Dadachova; Fiscal Year: 2009..Such knowledge will contribute to development of a novel therapeutic modality based on radioimmunotherapy for treatment of currently incurable or multidrug-resistant AIDS-associated opportunistic infections. ..
- Gene therapy for Fanconi anemiaHans Peter Kiem; Fiscal Year: 2009..Our ultimate goal is to improve or cure the hematopoietic symptoms in FA patients by lentivirus-mediated HSC gene transfer, and develop methodologies that would be applicable to other genetic disorders and hematological diseases. ..
- Genomic Markers of Breast Cancer Prevention Induced by hCG in Women at High RiskJose Russo; Fiscal Year: 2008..This knowledge will serve as the basis for establishing novel genomic signatures as intermediate biomarkers for larger preventive clinical trials at the completion of this project. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Genomic analyses of autism spectrum disordersVALERIE HU; Fiscal Year: 2008..Reliable biomarkers would greatly facilitate the early and definitive detection of these disorders, thereby permitting early intervention and therapy. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Tissue regenerative capacity of epidermal progenitorsPritinder Kaur; Fiscal Year: 2008..The proposed studies may also provide a means for expanding all keratinocyte progenitors by manipulation of growth factors and extracellular matrix proteins. ..
- The Role of CBFb-MYH11 in Acute Myeloid LeukemiaJames C Mulloy; Fiscal Year: 2010..To identify specific signals that will cooperate in the transformation to acute leukemia, defined eenetic elements and saturatine retroviral mutaeenesis will be used. ..
- In Utero Transplantation in PrimatesRobert Andrews; Fiscal Year: 2008..If our hypotheses are correct, then in utero treatment for hematopoietic and immune disorders should be both safer and successful. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Proteasome Inhibition in Myelodysplastic SyndromesJane Liesveld; Fiscal Year: 2006..These studies will define a potential therapeutic role for bortezomib in MDS and will aid in understanding the hematopoietic stem cell in these disorders. ..
- First Int'l Symposium on Childhood and Adolescent NHLMitchell Cairo; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- Nonablative AlloSCT in Refractory Autoimmune DiseaseMitchell Cairo; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- TRAUMA-RELATED ERYTHROPOIETIC SUPPRESSIONDavid Livingston; Fiscal Year: 2003..Understanding the mechanisms behind post-trauma anemia will allow therapeutic interventions improving endogenous erythropoiesis to be targeted. ..
- BCG + hsp, a New Tuberculosis VaccineBoris Nikonenko; Fiscal Year: 2003..We will also examine the antibiotic sensitivity of this rBCGdeltahspR to 10 commonly used TB drugs to ensure that the genetic manipulations performed have not made it less sensitive to drug treatment. ..
- Gene Gun Technology, Opioids, and Corneal DiseasesIAN ZAGON; Fiscal Year: 2003..Ultimately, such data can be employed to design molecular strategies to remedy visual dysfunction. ..
- BREAST CANCER/BONE MARROW STROMAL INTERACTIONSPranela Rameshwar; Fiscal Year: 2003..Since BC metastasis involves two major cell subsets, mesenchymal (stroma) and epithelial (BC), aim 4 will determine if regulation of PPT-I, NK-1 and NK-2 is tissue specific by studying their promoters in these cell subsets. ..
- OXIDATIVE STRESS, APOPTOSIS AND DRUG RESISTANCEIstvan Boldogh; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- IMMUNOLOGICAL CONSEQUENCES OF TRANSFUSIONLoren Fast; Fiscal Year: 2002..abstract_text> ..
- MECHANISM(S) OF CHEMICAL LEUKEMOGENESISRichard Irons; Fiscal Year: 2002..A. in specific sub-populations of CD34+ human BM cells. Finally, patterns of gene expression will be correlated with genotype, phenotype and functional clonogenic response in BM cells obtained from patients with MDS or evolving sAML. ..
- FACTORS INFLUENCING STEM CELL AND PLATELET PRODUCTIONMalcolm Moore; Fiscal Year: 2002..e., adult populations acquiring features of neonatal cells, or whether there is a tendency for "immortalized" cells to undergo neoplastic transformation. ..
- The Role of Chemokines in Metastatic Prostate CancerRussell Taichman; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- Redox Control of Radiation ResponseJohn Biaglow; Fiscal Year: 2006..Ultimately, we hope to develop specific strategies for modifying thiol redox homeostasis in vivo, to make human tumors more sensitive to ionizing radiation. ..
- BUILDING RESEARCH CAPACITY IN THE SCIENCESVeronica Nwosu; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Genomic Basis of Reproductive History on Breast CancerJose Russo; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- MGMT-Mediated in vivo Selection in a Large Animal ModelHans Peter Kiem; Fiscal Year: 2006..These experiments will provide a platform for studies using gene-modified allogeneic stem cells to improve nonmyeloablative transplant strategies. ..
- SIGNALING PATHWAYS MEDIATING TROPHOBLAST PROLIFERATIONDaniel Rappolee; Fiscal Year: 2005..Therefore, the proposed studies should lead to improvement in methods to facilitate placentation and improve IVF and produce protocols for remediation of common defects in pregnancy such as pre-eclampsia and IUGR. ..
- VEGF and bone remodeling in skeletal metastasesEvan Keller; Fiscal Year: 2005..In this aim, we will test which VEGF isoform contributes to CaP cells' osteoblastic activity. We will also evaluate if VEGF induces this activity through MAPK. ..
- Flavopiridol as a Potential Therapy in Multiple MyelomaKeith Bible; Fiscal Year: 2005..Results of proposed studies will improve understanding of the effects and mechanism(s) of action of flavopiridol in myeloma cells, thereby potentially contributing to the further clinical development of the drug. ..
- Role of AML1/ETO in Hematopoiesis and LeukemogenesisJAMES MULLOY; Fiscal Year: 2005..The establishment of a small animal model of AML will greatly enhance our ability to develop and test treatment strategies and drugs that may be useful in the therapy of AML. ..
- ROLE OF GRP78 IN ALKYLATING AGENT SENSITIVITYSatadal Chatterjee; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- NEUTROPHIL RECRUITMENT IN LPS-INDUCED AIRWAY DISEASEJessica Moreland; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- Bone and the Hematopoietic SystemRussell Taichman; Fiscal Year: 2004..These investigations will ultimately lead to new strategies for the treatment of hematopoietic and osseous disorders. ..
- Vaccine hurdle to anthrax and the emerging immune systemPranela Rameshwar; Fiscal Year: 2006..This study will also form the basis to develop in vivo model with human hematopoietic system to study anthrax infection and also to improve responses to anthrax vaccines. ..
- CELLULAR AND MOLECULAR BASIS OF HIV BASED THROMBOCYTOPENMariusz Ratajczak; Fiscal Year: 2002..In toto, the studies proposed in this grant will increase the knowledge about pathogenesis of AIDS associated thrombocytopenia and may lead to development of new strategies for its treatment of prevention. (End of Abstract) ..
- RESEARCH TRAINING IN TRANSFUSION MEDICINEJeffrey McCullough; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- Origin of HSC from Embryonic Stem CellsElias Zambidis; Fiscal Year: 2008..The success of these goals will lay the groundwork for characterizing human stem cells not available by any other means. ..
- The CXCR4-SDF-1 Axis in Metastatic RhabdomyosarcomaMariusz Ratajczak; Fiscal Year: 2009..This work will be of relevance for designing strategies to block the SDF-1-CXCR4 axis to treat CXCR4-positive cancers. ..