Genomes and Genes
Summary: A malignant neoplasm of the germinal tissue of the GONADS; MEDIASTINUM; or pineal region. Germinomas are uniform in appearance, consisting of large, round cells with vesicular nuclei and clear or finely granular eosinophilic-staining cytoplasm. (Stedman, 265th ed; from DeVita Jr et al., Cancer: Principles & Practice of Oncology, 3d ed, pp1642-3)
Publications248 found, 100 shown here
- Podoplanin expression in primary central nervous system germ cell tumors: a useful histological marker for the diagnosis of germinomaKazuhiko Mishima
Department of Neurosurgery, Saitama Medical School, 38 Morohongo, Moroyama machi, Iruma gun, 350 0495, Saitama, Japan
Acta Neuropathol 111:563-8. 2006..including germinomatous components in mixed GCTs), podoplanin was diffusely expressed on the surface of germinoma cells; lymphocytes, interstitial cells, and syncytiotrophoblastic giant cells were negative for podoplanin...
- Transcription factor AP-2gamma is a developmentally regulated marker of testicular carcinoma in situ and germ cell tumorsChristina E Hoei-Hansen
University Department of Growth and Reproduction, Rigshospitalet, Denmark
Clin Cancer Res 10:8521-30. 2004..In this study we aimed to investigate the expression pattern of AP-2gamma and to shed light on this factor in germ cell differentiation and the pathogenesis of germ cell neoplasia...
- Towards an understanding of the biological basis of response to cisplatin-based chemotherapy in germ-cell tumorsF Mayer
Department of Oncology, Hematology, Immunology and Rheumatology, University of Tübingen Medical Center, Tubingen, Germany
Ann Oncol 14:825-32. 2003..Even though no uniform pattern of relevant resistance factors has been identified in patients suffering from refractory disease, a significant number of these cases may be caused by defects in the DNA mismatch repair pathway...
- New insights into testicular germ cell tumorigenesis from gene expression profilingRolf I Skotheim
Department of Genetics, Institute for Cancer Research, The Norwegian Radium Hospital, N 0310 Oslo, Norway
Cancer Res 62:2359-64. 2002....
- Defective repair of cisplatin-induced DNA damage caused by reduced XPA protein in testicular germ cell tumoursB Koberle
Imperial Cancer Research Fund, Clare Hall Laboratories, South Mimms, Herts EN6 3LD, UK
Curr Biol 9:273-6. 1999..Targeted inhibition of XPA could sensitise other types of cells and tumours to cisplatin and broaden the usefulness of this chemotherapeutic agent...
- Germinoma of basal ganglia in female: case report and review of the literatureShuyu Hao
Beijing Neurosurgical Institute, Capital Medical University, Beijing, People s Republic of China
Childs Nerv Syst 25:613-7. 2009b>Germinoma of basal ganglia in female is very rare. The authors present a case of germinoma located in the right temporal lobe and basal ganglia in female and raise a hypothesis for the sex disparity.
- Primary medulla oblongata germinoma--an unusual posterior fossa tumors in young adultsJiro Akimoto
Department of Neurosurgery, Tokyo Medical University, 6 7 1 Nishi shinjuku, Shinjuku ku, Tokyo 160 0023, Japan
J Clin Neurosci 16:705-8. 2009We encountered 2 patients with germinoma arising from the medulla oblongata in whom preoperative radiological diagnosis was difficult...
- Primary germinoma in the medulla oblongata - case report - Takao Yasuhara
Department of Neurological Surgery, Okayama University Graduate School of Medicine, Dentistry and Pharmaceutical Sciences, Okayama, Japan
Neurol Med Chir (Tokyo) 51:326-9. 2011A 27-year-old woman presented with a case of primary medulla oblongata germinoma manifesting as sleep apnea, aspiration pneumonia, and left hemiparesis...
- The management of patients with primary central nervous system (CNS) germinoma: current controversies requiring resolutionJonathan Finlay
The Neural Tumors Program and Radiation Oncology Program, Childrens Center for Cancer and Blood Diseases, Childrens Hospital Los Angeles, California 90027 6016, USA
Pediatr Blood Cancer 51:313-6. 2008
- Long-term outcome of intracranial germinoma with hCG elevation in cerebrospinal fluid but not in serumS Utsuki
Department of Neurosurgery, Kitasato University School of Medicine, Sagamihara, Kanagawa, Japan
Acta Neurochir (Wien) 144:1151-4; discussion 1154-5. 2002..However, the long-term outcome of patients with germinoma and detectable hCG/hCG-beta in cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) but not in serum is unclear.
- Germinoma of medullaR Neelima
Department of Pathology, Sree Chitra Tirunal Institute of Medical Sciences and Technology SCTIMST, Trivandrum, Kerala, India
Neurol India 58:768-70. 2010b>Germinoma occurring in the medulla oblongata is extremely rare...
- SIOP CNS GCT 96: final report of outcome of a prospective, multinational nonrandomized trial for children and adults with intracranial germinoma, comparing craniospinal irradiation alone with chemotherapy followed by focal primary site irradiation for patGabriele Calaminus
Department of Paediatric Hematology Oncology, University Children s Hospital, Muenster, Albert Schweitzer Campus 1, 48149 Muenster, Germany
Neuro Oncol 15:788-96. 2013We conducted a nonrandomized international study for intracranial germinoma that compared chemotherapy followed by local radiotherapy with reduced-dose craniospinal irradiation (CSI) alone, to determine whether the combined treatment ..
- Genome profiles of familial/bilateral and sporadic testicular germ cell tumorsSigrid Marie Kraggerud
Department of Genetics, Institute for Cancer Research, The Norwegian Radium Hospital, Oslo, Norway
Genes Chromosomes Cancer 34:168-74. 2002..02, respectively), whereas gain of the proximal 17q (17q11.2-21) and high-level amplification from chromosome arm 12p, and losses from 10q were associated with nonseminomas (P < 0.001, P = 0.04, and P = 0.03, respectively)...
- Intracranial granulocytic sarcoma after chemotherapy for pineal germinoma and testicular cancerMaria Grazia Passarin
Division of Neurology, Azienda Ospedaliera Universitaria di Verona, Verona, Italy
J Clin Oncol 26:4507-9. 2008
- Cerebral germinoma with hemiatrophy of the brain: report of three casesC H Kim
Department of Neurosurgery, Clinical Research Institute, Seoul National University Hospital and College of Medicine, 28 Yongon Dong, Chongno Gu, Seoul 110 744, Korea
Acta Neurochir (Wien) 144:145-50; discussion 150. 2002The authors report three cases of cerebral germinoma that occurred in young adults with unusual presentation.
- Expression profile of genes from 12p in testicular germ cell tumors of adolescents and adults associated with i(12p) and amplification at 12p11.2-p12.1S Rodriguez
Molecular Cytogenetics, Institute of Cancer Research, Sutton, Surrey, UK
Oncogene 22:1880-91. 2003..Genes such as CCND2, GLU3, LRP6 and HPH1 at 12p13 were also overexpressed. The overexpressed sequences identified, particularly those in the region amplified, represent candidate genes for involvement in TGCT development...
- Primary medulla oblongata germinoma in a male patientTakashi Shuto
Department of Neurosurgery, Yokohama Rosai Hospital, 3211 Kozukue cho, Kouhoku ku, Yokohama, Kanagawa 222 0036, Japan
J Clin Neurosci 19:769-71. 2012b>Germinoma mainly occurs in the pituitary stalk, pineal region, and basal ganglia. Sex predominance of the tumor in males in the pineal region and basal ganglia is well known...
- Primary extragonadal germinoma of the medulla oblongataShin ichi Nakatsuka
Department of Pathology, Kansai Rosai Hospital, Amagasaki, Hyogo, Japan
Int J Surg Pathol 20:276-9. 2012..Extragonadal germ cell tumors rarely arise from the brain stem. In this report, the authors present a rare case of germinoma developing in the medulla oblongata...
- Reduction of the radiation dose for intracranial germinoma: a prospective studyY Shibamoto
Department of Oncology, Faculty of Medicine, Kyoto University, Japan
Br J Cancer 70:984-9. 1994Intracranial germinoma has usually been treated with radiation doses of 50 Gy or more, but it is unclear whether such doses are actually necessary to cure this radiosensitive tumour...
- Basal ganglia germinoma: diagnostic value of MR spectroscopy and (11)C-methionine positron emission tomographyYuji Fujii
Division of Child Neurology, Institute of Neurological Sciences, Faculty of Medicine, Tottori University, Yonago, Japan
J Neurol Sci 270:189-93. 2008We herein report a 12-year-old girl with a basal ganglia germinoma who presented with right-sided hemiparesis after a minor head trauma...
- Change in treatment strategy for intracranial germinoma: long-term follow-up experience at a single instituteYi Wei Chen
Institute of Clinical Medicine, National Yang Ming University, Taipei, Taiwan
Cancer 118:2752-62. 2012Previous intracranial germinoma (IG) studies have investigated the effect of different radiotherapy (RT) volumes and the necessity for adjunctive chemotherapy, but there is currently no consensus on the best treatment for this tumor.
- High uptake on 11C-methionine positron emission tomographic scan of basal ganglia germinoma with cerebral hemiatrophyAkira Sudo
Department of Pediatrics, Hokkaido University Graduate School of Medicine, Sapporo, Japan
AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 24:1909-11. 2003We herein describe a 12-year-old male patient with a germinoma of the basal ganglia who presented with progressive hemiparesis...
- Targeting optimal biopsy location in basal ganglia germinoma using (11)C-methionine positron emission tomographyNobuyuki Kawai
Department of Neurological Surgery, Kagawa University School of Medicine, Kita gun, Kagawa 761 0793, Japan
Surg Neurol 70:408-13; discussion 413. 2008..Diagnosis is usually made by stereotactic biopsy, and precise location of the biopsy target is crucial because germinoma in these sites is potentially curable...
- Salvage treatment for recurrent intracranial germinoma after reduced-volume radiotherapy: a single-institution experience and review of the literatureYu Wen Hu
Cancer Center, Taipei Veterans General Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 84:639-47. 2012..Intracranial germinomas (IGs) are highly curable with radiotherapy (RT). However, recurrence still occurs, especially when limited-field RT is applied, and the optimal salvage therapy remains controversial...
- Primary medulla oblongata germinoma: a case report and review of the literaturePao Sheng Yen
Department of Radiology, Buddhist Tzu Chi General Hospital, Taiwan, ROC
J Neurooncol 62:339-42. 2003We describe a case of primary intracranial medulla oblongata germinoma in a 16-year-old girl who presented with progressive headache and blurred vision...
- Prognostic value of OCT4 in primary intracranial germinoma: a single institute analysis of 31 casesSiyi Wanggou
Department of Neurosurgery, Xiangya Hospital, Central South University, Changsha, PR China
Br J Neurosurg 26:237-46. 2012..Thirty-one histologically identified CNS germinoma patients were enrolled in our study...
- The second case of de novo intracranial germinoma association with Klinefelter's syndromePrasit Phowthongkum
Surg Neurol 66:332; author reply 332. 2006
- C-kit expression in germinoma: an immunohistochemistry-based studyHideo Nakamura
Department of Neurosurgery, Graduate School of Medical Science, Kumamoto University, 1 1 1 Honjo, 860 8556 Kumamoto, Japan
J Neurooncol 75:163-7. 2005..The soluble isoform of c-kit (s-kit) is reportedly detectable in cerebral spinal fluid of patients with germinomas and germinomas with STGC. C-kit and s-kit may be powerful tumor markers for germinomas with or without STGC...
- Intra-abdominal metastasis of an intracranial germinoma via ventriculo-peritoneal shunt in a 13-year-old femaleMatthew J Murray
Department of Paediatric Haematology and Oncology, Addenbrooke s Hospital, Cambridge, CB2 0QQ, UK
Br J Neurosurg 25:747-9. 2011..metastasis and spontaneous acute tumour lysis syndrome, 17-months after VP shunt placement for metastatic pineal germinoma treated with cranio-spinal-irradiation...
- Basal ganglia germinoma in children with associated ipsilateral cerebral and brain stem hemiatrophyRodrigo V Ozelame
Department of Diagnostic Imaging, Hospital for Sick Children, 555 University Ave, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5G 1X8
Pediatr Radiol 36:325-30. 2006b>Germinoma is the most common and least-malignant intracranial germ cell tumor, usually found in the midline...
- Genetic alterations of E-cadherin and beta-catenin in germinoma and teratoma: report of two central nervous system casesNives Pecina-Slaus
Laboratory of Neurooncology, Croatian Institute for Brain Research, School of Medicine, University of Zagreb, Zagreb, Croatia
Pathol Oncol Res 13:370-4. 2007..A case of germinoma of the central nervous system and a case of spinal channel teratoma were tested for loss of heterozygosity (LOH) ..
- Atrophy of the basal ganglia as the initial diagnostic sign of germinoma in the basal gangliaK Okamoto
Department of Radiology, Niigata University Faculty of Medicine, 1 757 Asahimachi dori, Japan
Neuroradiology 44:389-94. 2002..retrospectively reviewed MR images obtained on admission and approximately 3 years earlier in two patients with germinoma in the basal ganglia, and compared them with CT...
- Primary midbrain germinomaSamir Kumar Kalra
Department of Neurosurgery, Sanjay Gandhi Postgraduate Institute of Medical Sciences, Rae Bareli Road, Lucknow, 226014, Uttar Pradesh, India
J Clin Neurosci 15:1282-4. 2008..Biopsy of the tumor revealed a germinoma. Post-operatively, the patient received chemotherapy followed by radiotherapy...
- Germinoma: unusual imaging and pathological characteristics. Report of two casesElisabeth J Rushing
Department of Neuropathology and Ophthalmic Pathology, Armed Forces Institute of Pathology, Washington, DC 20306 6000, USA
J Neurosurg 104:143-8. 2006..A biopsy performed on the left thalamic lesion in the first patient revealed a germinoma. The patient was treated with chemotherapy and died 2 years later...
- Radiotherapy of localised intracranial germinoma: time to sever historical ties?S J Rogers
Department of Neuro Oncology and Paediatric Oncology, Royal Marsden NHS Foundation Trust, Downs Road, Sutton, Surrey SM2 5PT, UK
Lancet Oncol 6:509-19. 2005The optimum management of localised intracranial germinoma remains controversial...
- [Case report of germinoma with synchronous lesions in the thalamus and para lateral ventricle]Shingo Takano
Department of Neurosurgery, Institute of Clinical Medicine, University of Tsukuba, 1 1 1 Tennoudai, Tsukuba City, Ibaragi 305 8575, Japan
No Shinkei Geka 36:541-5. 2008..stereotactic biopsy for right para lateral ventricle lesion made possible the histological diagnosis of typical germinoma. Post operative course was uneventful...
- NKX3.1 expression is lost in testicular germ cell tumorsRolf I Skotheim
Department of Genetics, Institute for Cancer Research, The Norwegian Radium Hospital and University of Oslo, Oslo, Norway
Am J Pathol 163:2149-54. 2003..These results suggest that NKX3.1 is essential for normal testis function and that its loss of expression is highly associated with the invasive phenotype of testicular germ cell tumors...
- [A case of pineal pure germinoma metastasized to the lumbosacral extradural space 8 years after initial therapy. Case report and review of literature]Yasuyuki Miyoshi
Department of Neurological Surgery, Okayama University Graduate School of Medicine, Dentistry and Pharmaceutical Sciences, 2 5 1 Shikata cho, Okayama City, Okayama 700 8558, Japan
No Shinkei Geka 34:745-52. 2006..The pathologic diagnosis of the tumor was of a pure germinoma. Eight years later he returned to the hospital with spinal epidural metastasis from the pineal germinoma and ..
- Treatment of testicular germ-cell cancer: a cochrane evidence-based systematic reviewM D Shelley
Cochrane Unit, Research Department, Cardiff, Wales, UK
Cancer Treat Rev 28:237-53. 2002..This article comprehensively reviews the treatment of testicular germ cell cancer with emphasis on high-grade evidence from randomised controlled trials...
- Diffusion-weighted imaging characteristics of primary central nervous system germinoma with histopathologic correlation: a retrospective studyAnnette C Douglas-Akinwande
Department of Radiology, Indiana University School of Medicine, 550 North University Boulevard, University Hospital 0279, Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
Acad Radiol 16:1356-65. 2009..quantify, using diffusion-weighted magnetic resonance imaging, the microscopic rate of water diffusion in pure germinoma and to determine whether or not the apparent diffusion coefficient (ADC) values correlated with the different ..
- Metachronous mediastinal seminoma occurring after intracranial germinoma in an adolescentKanyalakshmi Ayyanar
Division of Pediatric Hematology Oncology, Kosair Children s Hospital, University of Louisville, KY 40202, USA
J Pediatr Hematol Oncol 31:861-4. 2009We report a case of a mediastinal seminoma occurring 19 months after the resolution of a pineal germinoma. A 15-year-old boy with headaches and visual changes was diagnosed with a pineal germinoma by biopsy and mildly elevated beta-human ..
- Intracranial germinoma: radiation therapy with tumor volume-based dose selectionY Shibamoto
Departments of Oncology, Institute for Frontier Medical Sciences, Kyoto University, Sakyo ku, Kyoto 606 8507, Japan
Radiology 218:452-6. 2001..To prospectively investigate whether intracranial germinomas, except large ones, can be cured with radiation doses lower than 50 Gy and to determine 10-year follow-up results...
- Cystic neurohypophysial germinoma associated with moyamoya diseaseYasushi Shibata
Department of Neurosurgery, Institute of Clinical Medicine, Graduate School of Comprehensive Human Sciences, University of Tsukuba, Tsukuba, Ibaraki, Japan
Neurol Sci 31:189-92. 2010Moyamoya disease associated with a germinoma has never yet been reported in the literature. This report describes a case of a cystic neurohypophysial germinoma associated with moyamoya disease...
- Recurrent intracranial germinoma along the endoscopic ventriculostomy tract. Case reportUng Kwan Choi
Departments of Neurosurgery, School of Medicine, Pusan National University, Pusan, Republic of Korea
J Neurosurg 107:62-5. 2007The authors report a case of a recurrent intracranial germinoma along the site of an endoscopic third ventriculostomy (ETV) after complete local tumor control using 3D conformal radiation therapy...
- Primary midbrain germinomaS Ben Amor
Department of Neurosciences, King Faisal Specialist Hospital and RC, Jeddah, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
Br J Neurosurg 18:310-3. 2004..Stereotactic biopsy was permitted in order to take a specimen and the diagnosis of germinoma was established. The patient responded well to chemotherapy and radiotherapy...
- HESRG: a novel biomarker for intracranial germinoma and embryonal carcinomaSiyi Wanggou
Department of Neurosurgery, Xiangya Hospital, Central South University, 87 Xiangya Road, Changsha, Hunan 410008, China
J Neurooncol 106:251-9. 2012..the expression of HESRG in various types of intracranial tumors and found that HESRG was expressed only in germinoma and embryonal carcinoma, but hardly at all in other types of brain tumors...
- Intramedullary spinal cord germinomaY Matsuyama
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Nagoya University, School of Medicine, Japan
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 20:2338-40. 1995STUDY DESIGN. A very rare case of intramedullary spinal cord germinoma is described. OBJECTIVE. To increase knowledge about the pathogenesis and treatment of intramedullary spinal cord germinoma. SUMMARY OF BACKGROUND DATA...
- Intracranial germinoma: clinical and MRI findings in 56 patientsYajie Wang
Department of Pediatrics, Beijing Tiantan Hospital, Capital Medical University, Beijing, 100050, China
Childs Nerv Syst 26:1773-7. 2010Intracranial germinoma is a rare malignant tumor, only constituting 0.5-2.0% of all primary intracranial tumors...
- Recurrent pure CNS germinoma with markedly elevated serum and cerebrospinal fluid human chorionic gonadotropin-beta (HCGβ)Soumen Khatua
Neural Tumors Program, Center for Cancer and Blood Diseases, Childrens Hospital Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Pediatr Blood Cancer 56:863-4. 2011..of serum and/or cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) human chorionic gonadotrophin-beta (HCGβ) is consistent with pure germinoma of the central nervous system (CNS)...
- A review of soluble c-kit (s-kit) as a novel tumor marker and possible molecular target for the treatment of CNS germinomaHideo Takeshima
Department of Neurosurgery, Faculty of Medicine, Kagoshima University, Kagoshima, Japan
Surg Neurol 60:321-4; discussion 324-5. 2003..A soluble form of the c-kit (s-kit), composed of only the extracellular domain, has been identified as a functional molecule...
- Mixed testicular germ cell tumour in a patient with previous pineal germinomaVanessa B Silva
Department of Neurology, Instituto Português de Oncologia de Lisboa Francisco Gentil, Rua Professor Lima Basto, 1099 023, Lisbon, Portugal
J Neurooncol 101:125-8. 2011..We report the case of a 32-year-old man, with previously treated pineal germinoma at age 16 years, who later developed mixed GCT of the left testis.
- Pre-natal and peri-natal exposures and risk of testicular germ-cell cancerH K Weir
Department of Public Health Sciences, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Int J Cancer 87:438-43. 2000....
- Intensive induction chemotherapy with CBOP/BEP in patients with poor prognosis germ cell tumorsJ A Christian
Academic Department of Radiotherapy and Oncology, Royal Marsden Hospital, Sutton, Surrey, United Kingdom
J Clin Oncol 21:871-7. 2003..This study assesses the outcome of patients with poor-prognosis nonseminomatous germ cell tumors (NSGCT) treated with CBOP/BEP...
- An intrasellar germinoma with normal cerebrospinal fluid beta-HCG concentrations misdiagnosed as hypophysitisNese Ozbey
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Endocrinology, Istanbul University, Istanbul Medical Faculty, Istanbul, Turkey
Hormones (Athens) 5:67-71. 2006A patient with an intrasellar germinoma leading to pituitary stalk thickening is reported...
- Intracranial germ cell tumorsR J Packer
Department of Neurology, Children s National Medical Center Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Oncologist 5:312-20. 2000..Radiation therapy alone will result in disease control in 40%-60% of patients. The addition of chemotherapy to radiation therapy may improve the rate of survival...
- [Pituitary germinoma presenting as a pseudotumoral lymphocytic hypophysitis in a man]F Torremocha
Services de Médecine Interne, Endocrinologie et Maladies Métaboliques, France
Ann Endocrinol (Paris) 63:13-7. 2002..These findings were consistent with an inflammatory lymphocytic process caused by an intrasellar germinoma. Chemotherapy was ill-tolerated and external radiotherapy was ineffective.
- Risk factors for testicular germ cell tumours by histological tumour type. United Kingdom Testicular Cancer Study GroupC A Coupland
Division of Public Health Medicine and Epidemiology, School of Community Health Sciences, University of Nottingham Medical School, UK
Br J Cancer 80:1859-63. 1999..Whilst some of the differences detected may have arisen by chance, the stronger association between undescended testis and pure seminoma has been identified by a number of other studies and may reflect a genuine difference in aetiology...
- Four cycles of BEP vs four cycles of VIP in patients with intermediate-prognosis metastatic testicular non-seminoma: a randomized study of the EORTC Genitourinary Tract Cancer Cooperative Group. European Organization for Research and Treatment of CancerR de Wit
Rotterdam Cancer Institute and University Hospital, The Netherlands
Br J Cancer 78:828-32. 1998..Taken together with these data, bleomycin should not be replaced by conventional-dose ifosfamide...
- Update on the management of ovarian germ cell tumorsKaren H Lu
Department of Gynecologic Oncology, University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
J Reprod Med 50:417-25. 2005..However, patients with stage I disease of other germ cell histologies, as well as advanced-stage disease of all germ cell histologies, require adjuvant treatment with bleomycin, etoposide and cisplatin...
- Improved long term survival of patients with metastatic nonseminomatous testicular germ cell carcinoma in relation to prognostic classification systems during the cisplatin eraD J Sonneveld
Department of Surgical Oncology, Groningen University Hospital, Groningen, The Netherlands
Cancer 91:1304-15. 2001..These results indicate that the management of patients with NSTGCT is still improving...
- Neurohypophyseal germinoma histologically misidentified as granulomatous hypophysitisT Endo
Department of Neurosurgery, Tohoku University Graduate School of Medicine, Sendai, Japan
Acta Neurochir (Wien) 144:1233-7. 2002We report a case of neurohypophyseal germinoma appearing as predominantly granulomatous reaction in the first histological examination. A 12-year-old boy presented with diabetes insipidus, panhypopituitarism, and bitemporal hemianopsia...
- Limited-field radiation for bifocal germinomaLucie Lafay-Cousin
Pediatric Brain Tumor Program, Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 65:486-92. 2006..To report the incidence, characteristics, treatment, and outcomes of bifocal germinomas treated with chemotherapy followed by focal radiation...
- Histological features of intracranial germinomas not disappearing immediately after radiotherapySatoshi Utsuki
Department of Neurosurgery, Kitasato University School of Medicine, Sagamihara, Kanagawa, Japan
Neurol Med Chir (Tokyo) 46:429-33. 2006..Eighteen previously untreated patients underwent germinoma biopsy and irradiation or combined irradiation and chemotherapy...
- Germinoma of the pineal glandS C Mohanty
Neurol India 51:286-7. 2003
- Role of promoter hypermethylation in Cisplatin treatment response of male germ cell tumorsSanjay Koul
Department of Pathology, College of Physicians and Surgeons of Columbia University, 630 West 168th Street, New York, NY 10032, USA
Mol Cancer 3:16. 2004..Male germ cell tumor (GCT) is a highly curable malignancy, which exhibits exquisite sensitivity to cisplatin treatment. The genetic pathway(s) that determine the chemotherapy sensitivity in GCT remain largely unknown...
- [Spontaneous regression of primary intracranial germinoma: a case report]Atsushi Sato
Department of Neurosurgery, Yamagata University Faculty of Medicine, Yamagata 990 9585, Japan
No Shinkei Geka 37:277-82. 2009Here we report a case in which an intracranial germinoma displayed spontaneous regression. An 11-year-old boy presented with polyuria and headache...
- Lymphocytic hypophysitis with central diabetes insipidus and consequent panhypopituitarism preceding a multifocal, intracranial germinoma in a prepubertal girlM Bettendorf
Kinderklinik, Universitat Heidelberg, Germany
Eur J Pediatr 158:288-92. 1999..consequent panhypopituitarism evolving over a period of 10 years due to lymphocytic hypophysitis and subsequent germinoma. Two years after the diagnosis of central DI was established, MRI revealed a thickened pituitary stalk...
- Comparison of two standard chemotherapy regimens for good-prognosis germ-cell tumours: a randomised trial. Australian and New Zealand Germ Cell Trial GroupG C Toner
Medical Oncology Unit, Peter MacCallum Cancer Institute, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Lancet 357:739-45. 2001..However, the optimum chemotherapy regimen is uncertain, and there is variation in international practice. We did a multicentre randomised trial to compare two standard chemotherapy regimens for men with good-prognosis germ-cell tumours...
- Central nervous system germ cell tumors: classification, clinical features, and treatment with a historical overviewTakamitsu Fujimaki
Department of Neurosurgery, Saitama Medical University, Moroyama machi, Japan
J Child Neurol 24:1439-45. 2009..They are subclassified into germinoma and nongerminomatous germ cell tumors...
- Vinblastine plus ifosfamide plus cisplatin as initial salvage therapy in recurrent germ cell tumorP J Loehrer
Indiana University Medical Center, Indianapolis, USA
J Clin Oncol 16:2500-4. 1998....
- Chemotherapeutic and surgical strategies for germ cell tumorsLawrence H Einhorn
Division of Hematology Oncology, Indiana University Cancer Center, Walther Cancer Institute, Indianapolis, Indiana, USA
Chest Surg Clin N Am 12:695-706. 2002..The success of these studies confirms the importance of the continued search for new investigational drugs in all solid tumors...
- Regression of primary central nervous system germinoma after dexamethasone administration: a case reportStephanie J Si
Neural Tumors Program, Children s Center for Cancer and Blood Diseases, Childrens Hospital Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California, USA
Pediatr Hematol Oncol 27:237-43. 2010Childhood central nervous system (CNS) germinoma are highly curable brain tumors characterized pathologically by varying degrees of lymphocytic infiltration...
- Klinefelter syndrome presenting with precocious puberty due to a human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG)-producing mediastinal germinomaSasigarn A Bowden
J Pediatr Endocrinol Metab 19:1371. 2006
- Germ cell tumours in neonates and infants: a distinct subgroup?Imke M Veltman
Department of Human Genetics, University Medical Center Nijmegen, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
APMIS 111:152-60; discussion 160. 2003..Recently, two cases of infantile GCT were detected with constitutional 12q13 translocations. These exceptional cases may be instrumental in the search for candidate genes related to infantile and/or adult GCT development...
- Germinoma with a granulomatous reaction. Problems of differential diagnosisS Konno
Department of Neurosurgery, Kitasato University School of Medicine, Sagamihara, Kanagawa, Japan
Clin Neuropathol 21:248-51. 2002..study showed a few cells that were positive for placental alkaline phosphatase and it was diagnosed as germinoma. Intracranial germinoma with a remarkable granulomatous reaction is rare...
- Randomized comparison of cisplatin and etoposide and either bleomycin or ifosfamide in treatment of advanced disseminated germ cell tumors: an Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group, Southwest Oncology Group, and Cancer and Leukemia Group B StudyC R Nichols
Indiana University Medical Center, Indianapolis, USA
J Clin Oncol 16:1287-93. 1998..To compare standard therapy with bleomycin, etoposide, and cisplatin (BEP) to experimental therapy with etoposide, ifosfamide, and cisplatin (VIP) as primary treatment of men with advanced, disseminated germ cell tumors...
- How valid is the prenatal estrogen excess hypothesis of testicular germ cell cancer? A case control study on hormone-related factorsK P Dieckmann
Department of Urology, Albertinen Krankenhaus Hamburg, Germany
Eur Urol 40:677-83; discussion 684. 2001..The present study looked to surrogate parameters that purportedly point to high estrogenic influence in utero...
- Spontaneous regression of a residual pineal tumor after resection of a cerebellar vermian germinomaT Fujimaki
Department of Neurosurgery, University of Tokyo Hospital, Japan
J Neurooncol 41:65-70. 1999..Possible mechanisms responsible for this spontaneous regression including immunological responses and apoptosis induced by T lymphocytes are discussed...
- Quality of life in good prognosis patients with metastatic germ cell cancer: a prospective study of the European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer Genitourinary Group/Medical Research Council Testicular Cancer Study Group (30941/TE20)Sophie D Fossa
Norwegian Radium Hospital, Oslo, Norway
J Clin Oncol 21:1107-18. 2003..To describe global quality of life (GLQL) in patients with metastatic testicular cancer (TC) treated with four different schedules of bleomycin, etoposide, and cisplatin (BEP) chemotherapy (four v three cycles given over 5 v 3 days)...
- [Pituitary germinoma and lymphocytic hypophysitis: a pitfall. Report of two cases]Laurence Houdouin
Service d Anatomie et de Cytologie Pathologiques, Hopital Lariboisiere, 2 rue Ambroise Pare, 75475 Paris Cedex 10
Ann Pathol 23:349-54. 2003..positive for CD-117 and negative for CD30, confirmed the diagnosis and should allow the distinction of pituitary germinoma from other germ cell tumours as recently described in the testis, and may have a therapeutic interest.
- Lymphocytic hypophysitis with central diabetes insipidus and subsequent hypopituitarism masking a suprasellar germinoma in a 13-year-old girlYoko Mikami-Terao
Department of Pediatrics, Jikei University School of Medicine, 3 25 8 Nishi shinbashi, Minato ku, Tokyo, 105 8461, Japan
Childs Nerv Syst 22:1338-43. 2006..diabetes insipidus, hypothyroidism, and subsequent hypopituitarism due to lymphocytic hypophysitis masking a germinoma in a 13-year-old pubertal girl...
- Life-threatening airway obstruction caused by mediastinal germinoma in a 9-year-old girlNobuyuki Morikawa
Department of Surgery, National Center for Child Health and Development, Tokyo 157 8535, Japan
J Pediatr Surg 40:588-90. 2005The authors report a case of a 9-year-old girl with a mediastinal germinoma that required emergent surgical extirpation because of tracheal compression and asphyxia...
- OCT4 immunohistochemistry is superior to placental alkaline phosphatase (PLAP) in the diagnosis of central nervous system germinomaEyas M Hattab
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Indiana University Medical Center, Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
Am J Surg Pathol 29:368-71. 2005..We examined histologic sections from 25 cases of germinoma in which paraffin blocks with sufficient material were available...
- Genetics and biology of adult human male germ cell tumorsR S Chaganti
Department of Human Genetics and the Cell Biology Program, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, New York 10021, USA
Cancer Res 60:1475-82. 2000..In this review, these new data are discussed in the context of GC and GCT biology, and several novel testable genetic models are proposed...
- Long-term outcome of patients with intracranial germinomaSatoru Osuka
Department of Neurosurgery, University Hospital of Tsukuba, 1 1 1 Tennoudai, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305 8575, Japan
J Neurooncol 83:71-9. 2007This study was to clarify the long-term subjective functional state and the therapeutic factors that may influence the outcome and ADL of patients with intracranial germinoma.
- Outcome of patients with recurrent medulloblastoma or central nervous system germinoma treated with low dose continuous intravenous etoposide along with dose-intensive chemotherapy followed by autologous hematopoietic stem cell rescueHoward Grodman
Floating Hospital for Children, Tufts Medical Center, Boston, Massachusetts 02111, USA
Pediatr Blood Cancer 53:33-6. 2009..In this study we evaluated the results of low dose, continuous infusion etoposide over 21 days added to a conventional high-dose regimen of carboplatin and thiotepa in eight patients with relapsed pediatric CNS tumors...
- Germinoma in the fourth ventricleK Yoshida
Department of Neurosurgery, Juntendo University, Izunagaoka Hospital, Shizuoka, Japan
Acta Neurochir (Wien) 145:789-92; discussion 792. 2003..The mass was subtotally removed. The histological diagnosis was pure germinoma. Neuro-imaging cannot distinguish germinoma in the fourth ventricle from ependymoma...
- Multicenter study of human immunodeficiency virus-related germ cell tumorsT Powles
Chelsea and Westminster Hospital, London, United Kingdom
J Clin Oncol 21:1922-7. 2003..Testicular germ cell tumors (GCT) occur at increased frequency in men with human immunodeficiency virus (HIV). This multicenter study addresses the characteristics of these tumors...
- Comparative analysis of germ cell transcription factors in CNS germinoma reveals diagnostic utility of NANOGSandro Santagata
Department of Pathology, Division of Neuropathology, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Am J Surg Pathol 30:1613-8. 2006..NANOG was not detected in tumor types frequently considered in the differential diagnosis of CNS germinoma: pineoblastoma, primitive neuroectodermal tumors, medulloblastoma, lymphoma, pituitary adenoma, atypical ..
- Quality of life of extremely long-time germinoma survivors mainly treated with radiotherapyKazuhiko Sugiyama
Department of Neurosurgery, Hiroshima University Hospital, Hiroshima, Japan
Prog Neurol Surg 23:130-9. 2009To assess the quality of life (QOL) of extremely long-time survivors with germinoma mainly treated with radiotherapy.
- Treatment-induced anaemia and its potential clinical impact in patients receiving sequential high dose chemotherapy for metastatic testicular cancerC Bokemeyer
Department of Haematology Oncology, University of Tuebingen Medical Centre, Otfried Muller Strasse 10, 72076 Tuebingen, Germany
Br J Cancer 87:1066-71. 2002..Despite the frequent use of red blood cell transfusions, median haemoglobin nadirs remained about 7.5-8 g dl(-1) during therapy. A correlation of haemoglobin-values after completion of therapy to overall treatment outcome was found...
- Radiation therapy for intracranial germinoma: results of the German cooperative prospective trials MAKEI 83/86/89M Bamberg
Department of Radiotherapy and Institute for Medical Information Processing, University of Tubingen, Germany
J Clin Oncol 17:2585-92. 1999A multicenter prospective trial was conducted (Maligue Keimzelltümoren [MAKEI] 83/86/89) to assess outcome in intracranial germinoma after treatment with radiotherapy alone at reduced doses.
- Dose intensive melphalan and cyclophosphamide with autologous hematopoietic stem cells for recurrent medulloblastoma or germinomaRichard P Kadota
Rady Children s Hospital, San Diego, California, USA
Pediatr Blood Cancer 51:675-8. 2008To determine the response, toxicity, and survival for children with progressive or recurrent medulloblastoma and germinoma using a single myeloablative course of chemotherapy supported by autologous hematopoietic stem cells.
- Reproductive function after conservative surgery and chemotherapy for malignant germ cell tumors of the ovaryJacob Tangir
Division of Gynecologic Oncology, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut 06520 8063, USA
Obstet Gynecol 101:251-7. 2003..To analyze the long-term effects on reproductive function of fertility-preserving treatment for malignant germ cell tumors of the ovary...
- Germ cell tumors in patients infected by the human immunodeficiency virusK Fizazi
Department of Medicine, Institut Gustave Roussy, Villejuif, France
Cancer 92:1460-7. 2001..The objective of this study was to assess the natural history of the two disease courses, patient immune system tolerance, and results of therapy in human immunodeficiency virus (HIV)-infected patients with germ cell tumors (GCT)...
- Microsatellite instability of germ cell tumors is associated with resistance to systemic treatmentFrank Mayer
Pathology Laboratory for Exp Patho Oncology, University Hospital Rotterdam Daniel, Josephine Nefkens Institute, Erasmus University Rotterdam, 3000 DR Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Cancer Res 62:2758-60. 2002..001). In 5 of all 11 unstable tumors, MSI correlated with immunohistochemical findings. This study demonstrates for the first time a positive correlation between MSI and treatment resistance in GCT...
- Lack of benefit of spinal irradiation in the primary treatment of intracranial germinoma: a multiinstitutional, retrospective review of 180 patientsNaoto Shikama
Department of Radiology, Shinshu University, School of Medicine, Matsumoto, Japan
Cancer 104:126-34. 2005The current study assessed the contribution of spinal irradiation to the treatment outcome of patients with intracranial germinoma.
- Testis cancer: a 20-year epidemiological review of the experience at a regional military medical facilityDaniel E Cooper
Department of Urology, Naval Medical Center San Diego, San Diego, California, USA
J Urol 180:577-81; discussion 581-2. 2008..Testis cancer is the most common solid malignancy in the young adult population and the incidence in this population is increasing. We present a 20-year epidemiological review of testis cancers treated at our institution...
- Long-term efficacy of two cycles of BEP regimen in high-risk stage I nonseminomatous testicular germ cell tumors with embryonal carcinoma and/or vascular invasionChristine Chevreau
Department of Medical Oncology, Institut Claudius Regaud, 20, 24 rue du Pont Saint Pierre, 31052 Toulouse Cedex, France
Eur Urol 46:209-14; discussion 214-5. 2004..To report the long-term impact of two cycles of adjuvant chemotherapy on relapse rates and treatment-related morbidity in high-risk stage I nonseminomatous testicular germ cell tumors (NSGCTT I)...
- [Refractory germ cell cancer of testis treated by salvage high-dose chemotherapy: report of three cases]Susumu Tanji
Department of Urology, Iwate Medical University School of Medicine
Hinyokika Kiyo 50:77-80. 2004..The others achieved no change of disease following HDC and died from cancer progression. Hepatotoxicity, neurotoxicity and severe depression occurred, but not fatal in 2 cases...
- [Observation policy for residual masses after chemotherapy for gonadal and extra-gonadal germ cell tumors]Akitoshi Takizawa
The Department of Urology, Kanagawa Cancer Center
Hinyokika Kiyo 51:247-51. 2005..However, residual masses in extra-gonadal NSGCTs should be resected...
- Molecular Basis Of Renal Cell Carcinoma Response to SU11428Robert J Motzer; Fiscal Year: 2011..These tumor and cell line-based studies lay a foundation for further molecular studies aimed at understanding the sensitivity/resistance of RCC to SU11248. ..
- Regulation of VEGF/HIF-1 by AKT: Implications for RadiotherapyAmit Maity; Fiscal Year: 2010..Increased oxygenation should make tumors more sensitive to radiation;therefore, our studies may be important in helping to optimize the combination of EGFR inhibitors with radiation. ..
- CLINICAL TRIALS AND MENTORING IN ONCOLOGY RESEARCHRobert Motzer; Fiscal Year: 2003..One recently joined staff at MSKCC in the Genito-urinary Section. Mentoring of clinical trials is extended beyond fellowship to junior faculty members. ..
- Adenosinergic Mechanisms of Intrauterine Growth RetardationScott A Rivkees; Fiscal Year: 2010..The goals of this proposal are to identify the mechanisms by which adenosine acts to protect the embryo in utero and how altered embryonic adenosine action leads to long-term adverse effects in adulthood. ..
- MOLECULAR CYTOGENETICS OF MULTIPLE MYELOMARaju Chaganti; Fiscal Year: 2001..abstract_text> ..
- Molecular Genetics of Cervical Cancer ProgressionMurty Vundavalli; Fiscal Year: 2004..The data generated from these studies will be used to determine the clinical significance and to develop a genetic prognostic model for identifying high-risk CINs that progress into invasive cancer. ..
- Extracranial Stereotactic Radioablation in Lung CancerRonald McGarry; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- SOUTHWEST ONCOLOGY GROUPCraig Nichols; Fiscal Year: 2003..4. To return SWOG information and expertise to the local area by consultation, lecture and symposia for the benefit of regional physicians and patients and by expanding our community outreach program. ..
- Vaccine therapy of congenital adrenal HyperplasiaScott Rivkees; Fiscal Year: 2003..We also anticipate being able to extend this novel approach to the treatment of other receptor-mediated endocrine disorders, such as hyperthyroidism. ..
- DEVELOPING CIRCADIAN RHYTHMICITYScott Rivkees; Fiscal Year: 2002..These studies may also lead to the development of new care practices in Neonatal Intensive Care Units and extend the field of developmental chronobiology to the bedside. ..
- Prognostic Modeling of High-Risk Primary Breast CancerYago Nieto; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- Radioactive Iodide Therapy of Pediatric Graves' DiseaseScott A Rivkees; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Development of an Aging and Cancer Program at MSKCCGeorge Bosl; Fiscal Year: 2007..Through this planning grant, MSKCC will formally expand its research activities in cancer biology and management in the aging population so that it will become a key component of its NCI-funded CCSG. ..
- Pirfenidone in Children with PNs in NF1Roger Packer; Fiscal Year: 2006..Abstract Not Provided ..
- Anti-Adenosine Therapy of Neonatal Brain InjuryScott Rivkees; Fiscal Year: 2007..It is anticipated that these studies will lead to novel and practical strategies for directly preventing brain injury. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Hedgehog, Patched, and Gli in MedulloblastomaHoward Weiner; Fiscal Year: 2007..This system provides a unique opportunity to investigate an in vivo animal model of childhood medulloblastoma, and to determine the roles of Ptc and Gli in tumorigenesis. ..
- CB1 Receptor Action on the Developing HippocampusScott Rivkees; Fiscal Year: 2005..We anticipate that these studies will result in new insights into the potential effects of cannabinoid action on the developing brain. ..
- MAPPING CHROMOSOMES AND GENES IN RELATION TO LEUKEMIARaju Chaganti; Fiscal Year: 2005..In addition, the mapping of NHL breakpoints will provide a platform for addressing breakpoints in this region found in other cancer types. ..
- CHILDRENS NATIONAL MEDICAL CENTERRoger Packer; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- A1-ADENOSINE RECEPTOR ACTION IN HIPPOCAMPUSScott Rivkees; Fiscal Year: 2003..We anticipate these studies will lead to new insights into the mechanisms of A1AR action. We also anticipate that these studies will identify A1ARs as an important regulator of axon growth. ..
- The Role of Adenosine in Hypoglycemic Brain InjuryScott Rivkees; Fiscal Year: 2003..We anticipate that these studies will yield new insights into the mechanisms of hypoglycemic brain injury and may lead to the development of practical strategies for reducing hypoglycemic brain injury. ..
- A-1 Adenosine Receptor Action in Developing HeartScott Rivkees; Fiscal Year: 2005..We anticipate that these studies will identify Rho and ROCK as critical signaling molecules in heart development and reveal that cardiac GTPase activity transduces the effects of adenosine. ..
- Ethanol and cholesterol homeostasis in the brainMarina Guizzetti; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..