Summary: A condition characterized by poorly-circumscribed gelatinous masses filled with malignant mucin-secreting cells. Forty-five percent of pseudomyxomas arise from the ovary, usually in a mucinous cystadenocarcinoma (CYSTADENOCARCINOMA, MUCINOUS), which has prognostic significance. Pseudomyxoma peritonei must be differentiated from mucinous spillage into the peritoneum by a benign mucocele of the appendix. (Segen, Dictionary of Modern Medicine, 1992)
Articles from Journal RESEARCH
Articles from Journal RESEARCH1
Publications230 found, 100 shown here
- New standard of care for appendiceal epithelial neoplasms and pseudomyxoma peritonei syndrome?Paul H Sugarbaker
Washington Cancer Institute, 106 Irving Street, NW Suite 3900 Washington, DC 20020, USA
Lancet Oncol 7:69-76. 2006..In the absence of a phase III study, this new combined treatment should be regarded as the standard of care for epithelial appendiceal neoplasms and pseudomyxoma peritonei syndrome.
- Ovarian mucinous tumour arising in mature cystic teratoma and associated with pseudomyxoma peritonei: report of two cases and comparison with ovarian involvement by low-grade appendiceal mucinous tumourColin J R Stewart
Departments of Histopathology and Gynaecological Oncology, King Edward Memorial Hospital, Perth, Western Australia
Pathology 38:534-8. 2006It is currently accepted that primary ovarian tumours rarely, if ever, give rise to mucinous ascites/pseudomyxoma peritonei (PMP) which most commonly results from the intra-abdominal spread of an appendiceal mucinous neoplasm...
- Early- and long-term outcome data of patients with pseudomyxoma peritonei from appendiceal origin treated by a strategy of cytoreductive surgery and hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapyTerence C Chua
University of New South Wales, St George Hospital, Sydney, Australia
J Clin Oncol 30:2449-56. 2012b>Pseudomyxoma peritonei (PMP) originating from an appendiceal mucinous neoplasm remains a biologically heterogeneous disease...
- CT in pseudomyxoma peritonei: a review of 17 casesT V C Sulkin
Departments of Clinical Radiology, North Hampshire Hospital NHS Trust, Basingstoke, UK
Clin Radiol 57:608-13. 2002To describe the computed tomography (CT) findings in pseudomyxoma peritonei.
- Long-term survival in patients with pseudomyxoma peritonei treated with cytoreductive surgery and perioperative intraperitoneal chemotherapy: 10 years of experience from a single institutionTerence C Chua
Department of Surgery, St George Hospital, University of New South Wales, Sydney, NSW, Australia
Ann Surg Oncol 16:1903-11. 2009..CRS) and perioperative intraperitoneal chemotherapy (PIC) has been recognized as a treatment option for pseudomyxoma peritonei. This study reports the survival outcomes, clinicopathological prognostic factors, and a learning curve ..
- Long-term survival following treatment of pseudomyxoma peritonei: an analysis of surgical therapyThomas J Miner
Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, New York 10021 USA
Ann Surg 241:300-8. 2005b>Pseudomyxoma peritonei (PMP) is a clinical syndrome with a poorly defined natural history. Relative contributions of tumor biology, patient selection, and the extent of treatment on ultimate outcome are not well characterized.
- Mucinous neoplasms of the appendix and peritoneumNicole C Panarelli
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Weill Cornell Medical College, New York, New York 10065, USA
Arch Pathol Lab Med 135:1261-8. 2011..Extra-appendiceal spread of these tumors is the most common etiology of pseudomyxoma peritonei , which is a descriptive term encompassing a number of neoplastic and nonneoplastic peritoneal disorders...
- Appendiceal mucinous tumors and pseudomyxoma peritonei: histologic features, diagnostic problems, and proposed classificationReetesh K Pai
Department of Pathology, Stanford University School of Medicine, CA 94305, USA
Adv Anat Pathol 12:291-311. 2005b>Pseudomyxoma peritonei is an overused and underspecified condition that has garnered much attention in the historic literature...
- Patients with pseudomyxoma peritonei associated with disseminated peritoneal adenomucinosis have a significantly more favorable prognosis than patients with peritoneal mucinous carcinomatosisB M Ronnett
Department of Pathology, The Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore, Maryland 21231, USA
Cancer 92:85-91. 2001b>Pseudomyxoma peritonei (PMP) is a poorly understood condition characterized by disseminated intraperitoneal mucinous tumors, often with mucinous ascites...
- Operative findings, early complications, and long-term survival in 456 patients with pseudomyxoma peritonei syndrome of appendiceal originHaney Youssef
Basingstoke and North Hampshire NHS Foundation Trust, Basingstoke, UK
Dis Colon Rectum 54:293-9. 2011b>Pseudomyxoma peritonei syndrome is a clinical entity characterized by mucinous ascites usually originating from a perforated mucinous appendiceal tumor...
- Mucin as a therapeutic target in pseudomyxoma peritoneiHaroon A Choudry
Division of Surgical Oncology, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15261, USA
J Surg Oncol 106:911-7. 2012b>Pseudomyxoma peritonei (PMP) is characterized by intraperitoneal dissemination of mucinous ascites. This malignancy frequently recurs despite aggressive locoregional therapies, demonstrates chemo-insensitivity and lacks targeted therapies...
- Pseudomyxoma peritoneiRobert M Smeenk
Curr Probl Surg 45:527-75. 2008
- A formulation for in situ lysis of mucin secreted in pseudomyxoma peritoneiKrishna Pillai
UNSW Department of Surgery, St George Clinical School, Kogarah, NSW, Australia
Int J Cancer 134:478-86. 2014Although numerous clinical attempts have been made to disintegrate mucin secreted by pseudomyxoma peritonei (PMP), none are clinically recommended...
- Cytoreductive surgery and intraperitoneal chemotherapy for pseudomyxoma peritoneiZ Güner
Department for Visceral and Transplant Surgery, Medical School of Hannover, 30623 Hannover, Germany
Int J Colorectal Dis 20:155-60. 2005Surgical improvement can be achieved in selected patients with pseudomyxoma peritonei (PMP) by major cytoreductive surgery and intraperitoneal chemotherapy (IPEC)...
- Appendiceal mucinous neoplasms: controversial issuesJoseph Misdraji
Department of Pathology, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston 02114, USA
Arch Pathol Lab Med 134:864-70. 2010Low grade appendiceal mucinous neoplasms can spread to the peritoneum as pseudomyxoma peritonei even though they are not obviously invasive in the appendix...
- Utility of CEA and CA 19-9 tumor markers in diagnosis and prognostic assessment of mucinous epithelial cancers of the appendixC Pablo Carmignani
Washington Cancer Institute, Washington, DC 20010, USA
J Surg Oncol 87:162-6. 2004..The use of these tumor markers in mucinous epithelial tumors of the appendix has not been previously determined...
- Pseudomyxoma peritonei: a French multicentric study of 301 patients treated with cytoreductive surgery and intraperitoneal chemotherapyD Elias
Department of Oncologic Surgery, Institut Gustave Roussy, 39 rue Camille Desmoulins, 94805 Villejuif Cedex, France
Eur J Surg Oncol 36:456-62. 2010To analyze a large series of patients with pseudomyxoma peritonei (PMP) treated with cytoreductive surgery associated with perioperative intraperitoneal chemotherapy (PIC) in 18 French-speaking centers.
- Critical assessment of risk factors for complications after cytoreductive surgery and perioperative intraperitoneal chemotherapy for pseudomyxoma peritoneiAkshat Saxena
Department of Surgery, St George Hospital, University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia
Ann Surg Oncol 17:1291-301. 2010..intraperitoneal chemotherapy (PIC) has demonstrated improved survival in selected patients with pseudomyxoma peritonei (PMP)...
- Cytoreductive surgery and peri-operative intraperitoneal chemotherapy as a curative approach to pseudomyxoma peritonei syndromeP H Sugarbaker
Washington Cancer Institute, Washington, DC, USA
Eur J Surg Oncol 27:239-43. 2001..b>Pseudomyxoma peritonei may be especially appropriate for these aggressive local regional treatments...
- Pseudomyxoma peritonei: is disease progression related to microbial agents? A study of bacteria, MUC2 AND MUC5AC expression in disseminated peritoneal adenomucinosis and peritoneal mucinous carcinomatosisCristina Semino-Mora
Laboratory of Gastrointestinal and Liver Studies, Department of Medicine, Uniformed Services University and United States Military Cancer Institute, Bethesda, MD 20814, USA
Ann Surg Oncol 15:1414-23. 2008b>Pseudomyxoma peritonei (PMP) is characterized by peritoneal tumors arising from a perforated appendiceal adenoma or adenocarcinoma, but associated entry of enteric bacteria in the peritoneum has not been considered as a cofactor...
- Consensus statement on the loco-regional treatment of appendiceal mucinous neoplasms with peritoneal dissemination (pseudomyxoma peritonei)Brendan Moran
Colorectal Research Unit, North Hampshire Hospital, Basingstoke, Hampshire, UK
J Surg Oncol 98:277-82. 2008b>Pseudomyxoma peritonei (PMP) is a rare condition mostly originating from low malignant potential mucinous tumours of the appendix...
- High expression of RELP (Reg IV) in neoplastic goblet cells of appendiceal mucinous cystadenoma and pseudomyxoma peritoneiKukka Heiskala
Department of Pathology, Haartman Institute University of Helsinki, PO Box 21 Haartmaninkatu 3, FIN 00014, Helsinki, Finland
Virchows Arch 448:295-300. 2006..RELP in the neoplastic goblet cells of appendiceal mucinous cystadenomas and in the epithelial implants of pseudomyxoma peritonei (PMP)...
- Survival analysis of pseudomyxoma peritonei patients treated by cytoreductive surgery and hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapyRobert M Smeenk
Department of Surgery, The Netherlands Cancer Institute Antoni van Leeuwenhoek Hospital, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Ann Surg 245:104-9. 2007To evaluate the survival of patients with pseudomyxoma peritonei (PMP) treated by cytoreductive surgery and intraoperative hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy (HIPEC), and to identify factors with prognostic value.
- Learning curve of combined modality treatment in peritoneal surface diseaseR M Smeenk
Department of Surgery, Netherlands Cancer Institute Antoni van Leeuwenhoek Hospital, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Br J Surg 94:1408-14. 2007..Cytoreductive surgery with intraperitoneal chemotherapy has emerged as a new standard approach for peritoneal surface disease. This study investigated the learning curve of this combined modality treatment at a single institute...
- Peritonectomy and intraperitoneal hyperthermic perfusion (IPHP): a strategy that has confirmed its efficacy in patients with pseudomyxoma peritoneiMarcello Deraco
Department of Surgery, Melanoma and Sarcoma Unit, National Cancer Institute of Milan, Italy
Ann Surg Oncol 11:393-8. 2004b>Pseudomyxoma peritonei (PMP) is a rare disease with a poor prognosis characterized by a complete redistribution of mucin within the peritoneal cavity...
- MUC2, MUC5AC and MUC5B in the mucus of a patient with pseudomyxoma peritonei: biochemical and immunohistochemical studyAnwar S Mall
Department of Surgery, University of Cape Town, South Africa
Pathol Int 57:537-47. 2007A 58-year-old man with a 1 year history of progressive abdominal distension underwent a laparotomy for pseudomyxoma peritonei. The mucin was identified and characterized in the present study...
- Clinically aggressive pseudomyxoma peritonei: a variant of a histologically indolent processFaheez Mohamed
The Washington Cancer Institute, Washington Hospital Center, Washington, District of Columbia 20010, USA
J Surg Oncol 86:10-5. 2004Three distinct morphologic types of pseudomyxoma peritonei syndrome have been defined: disseminated peritoneal adenomucinosis (DPAM), peritoneal mucinous carcinoma (PMCA), and a hybrid morphologic type...
- Pseudomyxoma peritonei: some different sonographic findingsYanhong Que
Department of Ultrasound, First Affiliated Hospital of China Medical University, Shenyang, 110001, Liaoning, China
Abdom Imaging 37:843-8. 2012The purpose of our study was to assess the sonographic features of pseudomyxoma peritonei (PMP).
- Survival of patients with pseudomyxoma peritonei treated by serial debulkingP Jarvinen
Department of Surgery, Helsinki University Central Hospital, Helsinki, Finland
Colorectal Dis 12:868-72. 2010We evaluated the outcome of patients with pseudomyxoma peritonei (PMP) after traditional debulking...
- Mucolysis by ascorbic acid and hydrogen peroxide on compact mucin secreted in pseudomyxoma peritoneiKrishna Pillai
Department of Surgery, Hepatobiliary and Surgical Oncology Unit, University of New South Wales, St George Hospital, Kogarah, NSW, Australia
J Surg Res 174:e69-73. 2012This study examines the potential efficacy of hydrogen peroxide and ascorbic acid in the dissolution of mucinous ascites from pseudomyxoma peritonei.
- Experience with adjuvant chemotherapy for pseudomyxoma peritonei secondary to mucinous adenocarcinoma of the appendix with oxaliplatin/fluorouracil/leucovorin (FOLFOX4)Chin Fan Chen
Department of Surgery, Kaohsiung Medical University Hospital, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
World J Surg Oncol 6:118. 2008b>Pseudomyxoma peritonei (PMP) is a rare condition characterized by mucinous tumors, disseminated intra-peritoneal implants, and mucinous ascites. So far its diagnosis remains challenging to most clinicians.
- [Syndrome of pseudomyxoma peritonei--description of three cases and survey of the problem]Z Kinkor
Bioptická laborator, s r o, a Siklův ústav patologie, LF UK, Plzen
Ceska Gynekol 70:67-72. 2005To describe personal experience with three heterogeneous cases of pseudomyxoma peritonei. Review of the literature concentrates on the pathogenesis and biologic spectrum of the rare syndrome.
- Cytoreduction and hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy in the treatment of peritoneal carcinomatosis from pseudomyxoma peritoneiTommaso Cioppa
Department of General and Oncological Surgery, San Giuseppe Hospital, Viale Boccaccio, 50053 Empoli, Florence, Italy
World J Gastroenterol 14:6817-23. 2008..of hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy (HIPEC) that has been accepted as the standard treatment for pseudomyxoma peritonei (PMP), with special regard to morbidity, overall survival (OS) and disease free survival (DFS) over 10 ..
- [Appendiceal mucocele causing pseudomyxoma peritonei]J Vana
Chirurgische Abteilung des Krankenhauses mit Poliklinik, Zilina, Slowakische Republik
Zentralbl Chir 130:177-80. 2005The authors present the case of a very rare pseudomyxoma peritonei as a late complication of appendectomy. The definite diagnosis was established 11 years after appendectomy for appendiceal mucocele...
- Upfront compared to delayed cytoreductive surgery and perioperative intraperitoneal chemotherapy for pseudomyxoma peritonei is associated with considerably lower perioperative morbidity and recurrence rateTerence C Chua
UNSW Department of Surgery, Cancer Care Centre, St George Hospital, Kogarah, Sydney, Australia
Ann Surg 253:769-73. 2011..combined with perioperative intraperitoneal chemotherapy (PIC) is a recognized management strategy for pseudomyxoma peritonei. We seek to evaluate the outcomes of patients treated upfront with CRS PIC compared to patients undergoing ..
- Determining the association between preoperative computed tomography findings and postoperative outcomes after cytoreductive surgery and perioperative intraperitoneal chemotherapy for pseudomyxoma peritoneiTerence C Chua
UNSW Department of Surgery, St George Hospital, Kogarah, Sydney, NSW, Australia
Ann Surg Oncol 18:1582-9. 2011This study evaluates the accuracy of computed tomography (CT) scoring of the peritoneal cancer index (PCI) and examines its association with surgical morbidity and outcomes in pseudomyxoma peritonei.
- Complete cytoreduction for pseudomyxoma peritonei is optimal but maximal tumor debulking may be beneficial in patients in whom complete tumor removal cannot be achievedSanjeev Dayal
Basingstoke and North Hampshire NHS Foundation Trust, Basingstoke, United Kingdom
Dis Colon Rectum 56:1366-72. 2013b>Pseudomyxoma peritonei is a diffuse peritoneal malignancy that generally originates form a perforated appendiceal tumor...
- Incidental finding of pseudomyxoma peritonei at primary cesarean sectionBen Abdu
Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Tennessee Health Science Center, Chattanooga, Tennessee, USA
Am J Perinatol 26:633-5. 2009..may rupture, leading to intraperitoneal seeding of the peritoneum and producing the clinical picture of pseudomyxoma peritonei (PMP)...
- Exploring the peritoneal surface malignancy phenotype--a pilot immunohistochemical study of human pseudomyxoma peritonei and derived animal modelsKjersti Flatmark
Department of Tumor Biology, Institute for Cancer Research, The Norwegian Radium Hospital, Oslo University Hospital, N 0310 Oslo, Norway
Hum Pathol 41:1109-19. 2010..Five human tumors and corresponding orthotopic animal models of human pseudomyxoma peritonei and peritoneal mucinous carcinomatosis from colorectal carcinoma were extensively characterized by ..
- Elevated tumour markers prior to complete tumour removal in patients with pseudomyxoma peritonei predict early recurrenceF Alexander-Sefre
The North Hampshire Hospital, Basingstoke, UK
Colorectal Dis 7:382-6. 2005To assess the potential value of pre-operative CEA, CA 125 and CA 19-9 in identifying Pseudomyxoma peritonei (PMP) patients at risk of recurrence following complete cytoreductive surgery and intraperitoneal chemotherapy.
- Chronic anti-inflammatory drug therapy inhibits gel-forming mucin production in a murine xenograft model of human pseudomyxoma peritoneiHaroon Asif Choudry
Division of Surgical Oncology, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Ann Surg Oncol 19:1402-9. 2012Intraperitoneal accumulation of mucinous ascites in pseudomyxoma peritonei (PMP) promotes an inflammatory/fibrotic reaction that progresses to bowel obstruction and eventual patient demise...
- [Pseudomyxoma peritonei treated with complete resection and immediate intraperitoneal chemotherapy]Dominique Elias
Département de Chirurgie Générale Carcinologique, Institut Gustave Roussy, rue Camille Desmoulins, 94805, Villejuif Cedex
Gastroenterol Clin Biol 27:407-12. 2003b>Pseudomyxoma peritonei remains a fatal disease. This clinical pathological entity based on the presence of mucin includes different prognostic groups...
- Improved survival of patients with pseudomyxoma peritonei receiving intraperitoneal chemotherapy with cytoreductive surgery: a systematic review and meta-analysisKatherine McBride
University of Vermont College of Medicine, Burlington, Vermont 31410, USA
J Surg Res 183:246-52. 2013b>Pseudomyxoma peritonei (PMP) is an uncommon but lethal variant of adenocarcinoma...
- Circulating tumor markers: predictors of incomplete cytoreduction and powerful determinants of outcome in pseudomyxoma peritoneiShigeki Kusamura
Department of Surgery, Fondazione IRCCS Istituto Nazionale Tumouri Milano, Milan, Italy
J Surg Oncol 108:1-8. 2013Incomplete cytoreduction (IC) is one of the main prognostic factor in pseudomyxoma peritonei (PMP). We evaluated the ability of preoperative Ca125, CEA, and Ca19-9 to predict IC and prognosis in PMP.
- Proposed classification of pseudomyxoma peritonei: influence of signet ring cells on survivalShreya Shetty
Department of Surgery, Creighton University Medical Center, Omaha, Nebraska, USA
Am Surg 79:1171-6. 2013The nomenclature and classification of pseudomyxoma peritonei (PMP) is confusing and controversial. Numerous classification systems have been proposed, none of which are easily reproducible or a useful guide for treatment...
- A core microbiome associated with the peritoneal tumors of pseudomyxoma peritoneiJeremy J Gilbreath
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, Bethesda, MD 20814, USA
Orphanet J Rare Dis 8:105. 2013b>Pseudomyxoma peritonei (PMP) is a malignancy characterized by dissemination of mucus-secreting cells throughout the peritoneum...
- Pseudomyxoma peritonei occurring after an uneventful 23 years interval from appendectomyAtsuko Taii
Molecular Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Kyoto Prefectural University of Medicine, Graduate School of Medical Science
Intern Med 46:1109-12. 2007..He then received 3 courses of chemotherapy, but failed to reach a remission. The final diagnosis of pseudomyxoma peritonei was made by means of abdominocentesis, and he underwent debulking surgery...
- Antibiotic treatment decreases microbial burden associated with pseudomyxoma peritonei and affects β-catenin distributionCristina Semino-Mora
Uniformed Services University and United States Military Cancer Institute, Bethesda, Maryland 20814, USA
Clin Cancer Res 19:3966-76. 2013b>Pseudomyxoma peritonei is an understudied cancer in which an appendiceal neoplasm invades the peritoneum and forms tumor foci on abdominal organs...
- Melioidosis presenting as pseudomyxoma peritonei: yet another pretense of the great mimicker: an unreported entityRaghavan Velayutham Sugi Subramaniam
Department of Surgery, Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education and Research, Puducherry, India
Surg Infect (Larchmt) 14:415-7. 2013..Melioidosis, a lethal infectious disease caused by Burkholderia pseudomallei, an important human pathogen in tropical regions, is notorious for its diverse clinical presentations...
- Mucinous ovarian tumors associated with pseudomyxoma peritonei of adenomucinosis type: immunohistochemical evidence that they are secondary tumorsC R Ferreira
Department of Pathology, University of Sao Paulo Medical School, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Int J Gynecol Cancer 18:59-65. 2008b>Pseudomyxoma peritonei (PMP) is a clinical condition initially thought to be related to ovarian mucinous tumors; however, immunohistochemistry and molecular biology techniques have convincingly made the link to appendiceal mucinous ..
- Appendiceal mucocoeles and pseudomyxoma peritoneiAnupam Dixit
Colorectal Department, The London Clinic, 20 Devonshire Place, London W1G 6BW, United Kingdom
World J Gastroenterol 13:2381-4. 2007..or iatrogenic rupture of the mucocoele can lead to mucinous intraperitoneal ascites, a syndrome known as pseudomyxoma peritonei. Optimal management of mucoceles is achieved through accurate preoperative identification and subsequent ..
- Kras mutations and p53 overexpression in pseudomyxoma peritonei: association with phenotype and prognosisShreya Shetty
Department of Surgery, Creighton University Medical Center, Omaha, NE, USA
J Surg Res 180:97-103. 2013Little information exists on Kras mutations and p53 overexpression in pseudomyxoma peritonei (PMP). These genetic alterations are associated with poorer prognoses in colorectal cancer...
- Intraoperative hyperthermic intrathoracic chemotherapy for pleural extension of pseudomyxoma peritoneiAnh Dang
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX 77030, USA
J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth 21:265-8. 2007
- Pseudomyxoma peritonei (mucinous carcinoma peritonei) preceded by intraductal papillary neoplasm of the bile ductJie Yang Jhuang
Department of Pathology, National Taiwan University Hospital, 10002 Taipei, Taiwan
Hum Pathol 43:1148-52. 2012b>Pseudomyxoma peritonei (mucinous carcinoma peritonei) is a rare clinical disease. Although most cases derive from appendiceal mucinous tumors, a few are associated with pancreatic intraductal papillary mucinous neoplasms...
- The influence of tumor cell entrapment phenomenon on the natural history of Pseudomyxoma peritonei syndromeJohn Spiliotis
Department of Surgery, Metaxa Cancer Hospital, Piraeus, Greece
Hepatogastroenterology 59:705-8. 2012b>Pseudomyxoma peritonei syndrome (PMP) may be associated with slow "benign" or malignant process. However, the natural history of this disease is slow progression to death. Its treatment is variable and controversial...
- Potential mucolytic agents for mucinous ascites from pseudomyxoma peritoneiKrishna Pillai
Department of Surgery Cancer Research Laboratories, University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia
Invest New Drugs 30:2080-6. 2012b>Pseudomyxoma peritonei is a disease characterised by the accumulation of mucinous ascites...
- Quality of life study following cytoreductive surgery and intraperitoneal chemotherapy for pseudomyxoma peritonei including redo proceduresRachel Kirby
Hepatobiliary and Surgical Oncology Unit, UNSW Department of Surgery, St George Hospital, Sydney, NSW 2217, Australia
Int J Surg Oncol 2013:461041. 2013..was to evaluate the quality of life following cytoreductive surgery and intraperitoneal chemotherapy for pseudomyxoma peritonei. We also conducted an analysis of all patients who underwent CRS and HIPEC for pseudomyxoma peritonei from ..
- Incidental ultrasound diagnosis of pseudomyxoma peritonei in an asymptomatic womanS Khan
Early Pregnancy and Gynaecology Assessment Unit and Department of Surgery, King s College Hospital, London, UK
Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 19:410-2. 2002An incidental finding of pseudomyxoma peritonei is reported in a woman with a 6-month history of postmenopausal bleeding...
- Outcome differences between debulking surgery and cytoreductive surgery in patients with Pseudomyxoma peritoneiH Andreasson
Department of Surgical Sciences, Section of Surgery, Uppsala University, S 751 85 Uppsala, Sweden
Eur J Surg Oncol 38:962-8. 2012The aim of this study was to compare debulking surgery and cytoreductive surgery (CRS) in patients with Pseudomyxoma peritonei (PMP) regarding efficacy and safety.
- Pseudomyxoma peritoneiR M Smeenk
Department of Surgery, The Netherlands Cancer Institute, Antoni van Leeuwenhoek Hospital, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Cancer Treat Rev 33:138-45. 2007b>Pseudomyxoma peritonei (PMP) is a rare condition, which is known for its high mortality when not treated properly. The first step to improve prognosis of these patients is to recognize this clinical syndrome preferably in an early stage...
- Management of appendiceal pseudomyxoma peritonei diagnosed during pregnancyErika Haase
Program in Peritoneal Surface Malignancy, Washington Cancer Institute, Washington Hospital Center, Washington, District of Columbia, USA
World J Surg Oncol 7:48. 2009..Epithelial tumors of the appendix on the other hand are rare and account for only approximately 1% of all colorectal neoplasms; the occurrence of this neoplasm during pregnancy is extremely rare...
- A systematic review on the efficacy of cytoreductive surgery and perioperative intraperitoneal chemotherapy for pseudomyxoma peritoneiTristan D Yan
Peritoneal Surface Malignancy Program, Washington Cancer Institute, Washington Hospital Center, 106 Irving Street, NW, Suite 3900N, Washington, DC 20010, USA
Ann Surg Oncol 14:484-92. 2007The efficacy of cytoreductive surgery (CRS) combined with perioperative intraperitoneal chemotherapy (PIC) for patients with pseudomyxoma peritonei (PMP) remains to be established.
- Laparoscopic mucin removal in patients with pseudomyxoma peritoneiYasushi Kotani
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Kinki University School of Medicine, Osaka Sayama, Osaka, Japan
JSLS 13:203-6. 2009b>Pseudomyxoma peritonei results from ovarian and appendiceal mucinous tumors. Cyst rupture results in intraabdominal mucin accumulation, leading to abdominal distension. No effective treatment has yet been established...
- The coexistence of low-grade mucinous neoplasms of the appendix and appendiceal diverticula: a possible role in the pathogenesis of pseudomyxoma peritoneiL W Lamps
Department of Pathology, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, Little Rock 72205, USA
Mod Pathol 13:495-501. 2000..low-grade mucinous neoplasms and to examine the possible role of diverticula in the pathogenesis of pseudomyxoma peritonei. Invasive adenocarcinomas and retention cysts were excluded (six cases)...
- Chemo-hyperthermic peritoneal perfusion (CHPP) for appendiceal pseudomyxoma peritoneiKanji Katayama
First Department of Surgery, University of Fukui, School of Medicine, 23 Shimoaizuki, Matsuoka, Eiheiji cho, Fukui, 910 1193, Japan
Int J Clin Oncol 14:120-4. 2009b>Pseudomyxoma peritonei is derived mostly from the rupture of an appendiceal cystic tumor and produces a large quantity of mucinous substance. Though its malignancy level is low, radical resection is difficult and its prognosis is poor...
- Sciatica caused by pseudomyxoma peritoneiHung Lin Lin
Department of Neurosurgery, China Medical University Hospital, Taichung, Taiwan, R O C
J Chin Med Assoc 72:39-41. 2009..Bilateral ovarian borderline mucinous cystic tumor with pseudomyxoma peritonei (PMP) was diagnosed, and the sciatica was improved dramatically after subsequent abdominal debulking ..
- Thoracic cytoreductive surgery and intraoperative hyperthermic intrathoracic chemotherapy for pseudomyxoma peritoneiTerence C Chua
Department of Surgery, University of New South Wales, St George Hospital, Kogarah, Sydney, NSW, Australia
J Surg Oncol 99:292-5. 2009Pleural dissemination of pseudomyxoma peritonei (PMP) is considered an advanced/terminal disease...
- Prospective longitudinal study of quality of life following cytoreductive surgery and intraperitoneal chemotherapy for pseudomyxoma peritoneiS Alves
Pseudomyxoma Peritonei Centre, Basingstoke and North Hampshire Hospital Foundation Trust, Aldermaston Road, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG24 9NA, UK
Eur J Surg Oncol 36:1156-61. 2010b>Pseudomyxoma peritonei (PMP) is characterized by mucinous ascites, predominantly arising form a perforated tumour of the appendix...
- Quality of life after cytoreductive surgery plus early intraperitoneal postoperative chemotherapy for pseudomyxoma peritonei: a prospective studyPer Jess
Department of Surgery, Nordsjaellands Hospital Hillerod, Hillerod, DK 3400, Denmark
Dis Colon Rectum 51:868-74. 2008The modern treatment of pseudomyxoma peritonei is cytoreductive surgery plus intraperitoneal chemotherapy resulting in a survival of up to 70 percent after 20 years...
- Pseudomyxoma peritonei due to mucinous cystadenocarcinoma in situ of the urachus presenting as an inguinal herniaToshiki Shinohara
Department of Surgery, Sapporo City General Hospital, Sapporo, Japan
Int J Clin Oncol 11:416-9. 2006b>Pseudomyxoma peritonei is generally caused by appendiceal and ovarian tumors. Other primary sites have been rarely reported...
- Management of pseudomyxoma peritonei by cytoreduction+HIPEC (hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy): results analysis of a twelve-year experienceMarco Vaira
Department of General and Oncological Surgery, San Giuseppe Hospital, Viale Boccaccio, 12, 50053 Empoli, Florence, Italy
In Vivo 23:639-44. 2009b>Pseudomyxoma peritonei (PMP) is a rare peritoneal carcinomatosis, characterized by a slowly progressive disease process with a large amount of mucus containing occasional epithelial cells...
- [Endometrial and endocervical lesions associated with pseudomyxoma peritonei: a case report]Ines Samet
Service d Anatomie et de Cytologie Pathologiques, Hopital Bretonneau, Faculte de Medecine, 37044 Tours cedex 9, France
Ann Pathol 29:233-7. 2009The association of a pseudomyxoma peritonei with a mucinous tumor of the appendix and/or the ovary is regularly reported in the literature. However, in this context, endometrial or endocervical lesions remain exceptional...
- [Pseudomyxoma peritonei: new concept and new therapeutic approach]R Loungnarath
Département de chirurgie colorectale, Centre Hospitalier de l Universite de Montreal, Hopital Saint Luc, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Ann Chir 130:63-9. 2005b>Pseudomyxoma peritonei is a rare disease, usually diagnosed after the discover of "jelly belly" by laparotomy...
- Pseudomyxoma peritonei: extraperitoneal spread to the pleural cavity and lungBae Young Lee
Department of Radiology, St Paul s Hospital, Medical College, The Catholic University of Korea, Seoul, Korea
J Thorac Imaging 19:123-6. 2004Abdominal and pelvic recurrence of pseudomyxoma peritonei after the surgery is occasionally seen but extraperitoneal spread and hematogeneous metastases are rare...
- Management of pseudomyxoma peritoneiZhi Bo Qu
Department of General Surgery, First Clinical College of Harbin Medical University, Harbin 150001, Heilongjiang Province, China
World J Gastroenterol 12:6124-7. 2006b>Pseudomyxoma peritonei (PMP) is a rare disease...
- Appendiceal pseudomyxoma peritonei in a pregnant womanAbu Z Manan
Department of Surgery, Armed Forces Hospital, King Abdul Aziz Naval Base, PO Box 413, Al Jubail 31951, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
Saudi Med J 31:572-4. 2010..We report an unusual case of pseudomyxoma peritonei (PMP) in a 41-year-old full-term pregnant woman...
- Pseudomyxoma peritonei originating from colorectal cancer during pregnancyShinsuke Koyama
Division of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Department of Specific Organ Regulation, Osaka University Graduate School of Medicine, Osaka, Japan
J Obstet Gynaecol Res 37:254-8. 2011b>Pseudomyxoma peritonei is an extremely rare condition characterized by the presence of gelatinous ascites and disseminated intra-peritoneal mucinous tumors...
- Pseudomyxoma peritonei presenting with femoral hernias and peritonitisAkihiro Hosaka
Department of Surgery, Ome Municipal General Hospital, 16 5, Higashi Ome 4 chome, Ome shi, Tokyo, 198 0042, Japan
J Gastrointest Surg 11:1576-8. 2007b>Pseudomyxoma peritonei is a rare disease characterized by intraperitoneal accumulation of mucinous ascites produced by neoplastic cells, which mostly originate from an appendiceal adenoma...
- Soft-tissue images. Pseudomyxoma peritonei and villous adenoma of the appendixShiva Jayaraman
University of Western Ontorio, Department of Pathology, Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry, London
Can J Surg 45:90-1. 2002
- Pseudomyxoma peritonei is a disease of MUC2-expressing goblet cellsJerome T O'Connell
Department of Pathology, University of California at Los Angeles School of Medicine, Los Angeles, California 90024, USA
Am J Pathol 161:551-64. 2002b>Pseudomyxoma peritonei, a syndrome first described by Karl F...
- Pseudomyxoma peritonei and the urinary tract: involvement and treatment related complicationsR M Smeenk
Department of Surgery, The Netherlands Cancer Institute, Antoni van Leeuwenhoek Hospital, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Surg Oncol 93:20-3. 2006b>Pseudomyxoma peritonei (PMP) is a rare clinical syndrome characterized by intraperitoneal accumulation of mucus produced by neoplastic cells of mostly appendiceal origin...
- MUC2 is a molecular marker for pseudomyxoma peritoneiJerome T O'Connell
Department of Pathology, UCLA School of Medicine, Los Angeles, California 90024, USA
Mod Pathol 15:958-72. 2002b>Pseudomyxoma peritonei, a syndrome first described by Rokitansky in 1842, is an enigmatic, often fatal intra-abdominal disease characterized by dissecting gelatinous ascites and multifocal peritoneal epithelial implants secreting copious ..
- Mucinous adenocarcinoma of the renal pelvis with pseudomyxoma peritoneiVinaya B Shah
Department of Pathology, T N Medical College and B Y L Nair Hospital, Dr A L Nair Road, Bombay Central, Mumbai 400 008, India
Indian J Pathol Microbiol 51:536-7. 2008..b>Pseudomyxoma peritonei is an uncommon condition characterized by the presence of mucinous gelatinous material in the peritoneal ..
- CDX-2 expression in pseudomyxoma peritonei: a clinicopathological study of 42 casesD Nonaka
Department of Pathology, New York University Medical Center, New York, NY 10016, USA
Histopathology 49:381-7. 2006..CDX-2 status in pseudomyxoma peritonei (PMP) has been barely reported...
- Pseudomyxoma peritonei and mucinous pyometral fluid arising from an ovarian borderline mucinous tumor: case reportK Niwa
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Gifu University School of Medicine, Gifu, Japan
Eur J Gynaecol Oncol 28:145-6. 2007An extremely rare case of a pseudomyxoma peritonei (PMP) and mucinous pyometral fluid, possibly arising from an ovarian borderline mucinous tumor is reported...
- Molecular genetic analysis of appendiceal mucinous adenomas in identical twins, including one with pseudomyxoma peritoneiI M Shih
Department of Pathology, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Am J Surg Pathol 25:1095-9. 2001b>Pseudomyxoma peritonei (PMP) is a clinical syndrome characterized by mucinous ascites and peritoneal lesions composed of histologically bland to low-grade adenomatous mucinous epithelium within pools of extracellular mucin, often with an ..
- Clinical presentation of pseudomyxoma peritoneiP Jarvinen
Department of Surgery, Helsinki University Central Hospital, Helsinki, Finland
Scand J Surg 99:213-6. 2010We analysed the clinical symptoms and signs of pseudomyxoma peritonei (PMP), a rare syndrome affecting one to two persons per million annually. Presumably, patients with PMP would benefit from early diagnosis...
- Pseudomyxoma peritonei: a case of mucinous adenocarcinoma of the appendix presenting as inguinal herniaM A Rezkalla
Loma Linda VA Medical Center, USA
S D Med 59:54-5, 57. 2006b>Pseudomyxoma peritonei is a rare neoplastic condition characterized by diffuse collections of gelatinous fluid associated with mucinous implants on the peritoneal surfaces and omentum...
- Early results of surgery in 123 patients with pseudomyxoma peritonei from a perforated appendiceal neoplasmElizabeth M Murphy
Pseudomyxoma Peritonei Centre, Colorectal Research Unit, North Hampshire Hospital, Basingstoke, Hampshire, United Kingdom
Dis Colon Rectum 50:37-42. 2007..Occult rupture with features of pseudomyxoma peritonei may be encountered...
- Mucinous tumors arising in ovarian mature cystic teratomas: relationship to the clinical syndrome of pseudomyxoma peritoneiBrigitte M Ronnett
Department of Pathology, Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore, Maryland 1231, USA
Am J Surg Pathol 27:650-7. 2003Recent studies have redefined pseudomyxoma peritonei (PMP) as a specific clinicopathologic syndrome in which mucinous ascites is accompanied by peritoneal lesions characterized by bland to low-grade adenomatous mucinous epithelium ..
- Ovarian mature teratomas with mucinous epithelial neoplasms: morphologic heterogeneity and association with pseudomyxoma peritoneiJesse K McKenney
Department of Pathology, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, Little Rock, AR, USA
Am J Surg Pathol 32:645-55. 2008..recent study, their full histologic spectrum, detailed immunophenotype, and association with classic pseudomyxoma peritonei (PMP) have not been fully studied...
- A rare case of pseudomyxoma peritonei presenting an unusual inguinal hernia and splenic metastasisS Shimoyama
Department of Gastrointestinal Surgery, University of Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 16:825-9. 2001b>Pseudomyxoma peritonei (PMP) is a rare clinical entity in which a diffuse collection of intraperitoneal gelatinous fluid is associated with gelatinous implants on the peritoneal surfaces and omentum...
- Pseudomyxoma peritonei: unusual origin from an ovarian mature cystic teratomaN Pranesh
Department of Surgery, Christie Hospital NHS Trust, Withington, Manchester M20 4BX, UK
J Clin Pathol 58:1115-7. 2005b>Pseudomyxoma peritonei (PMP) is classified into pathologically and prognostically distinct categories, such as disseminated peritoneal adenomucinosis (DPAM) and peritoneal mucinous carcinomatosis...
- Appendiceal neoplasms and pseudomyxoma peritonei: a population based studyR M Smeenk
Department of Surgery, The Netherlands Cancer Institute, Antoni van Leeuwenhoek Hospital, Plesmanlaan 121, 1066 CX Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Eur J Surg Oncol 34:196-201. 2008b>Pseudomyxoma peritonei (PMP) is a rare disease with an estimated incidence of 1 per million per year, and is thought to originate usually from an appendiceal mucinous epithelial neoplasm...
- [Mucocele of the appendix and pseudomyxoma peritonei]A Fairise
Service de Radiologie Adultes, CHU Nancy Brabois, Allee du Morvan, Vandoeuvre les Nancy Cedex, France
J Radiol 89:751-62. 2008
- Urachal adenocarcinoma in situ with pseudomyxoma peritonei: a case reportG Stenhouse
Department of Pathology, Aberdeen Royal Infirmary, Foresterhill, Aberdeen AB25 2ZD, UK
J Clin Pathol 56:152-3. 2003..At laparotomy, pseudomyxoma peritonei was discovered, together with a midline abdominal mass adherent to the anterior abdominal wall originating ..
- Pseudomyxoma peritonei: clinical pathological and biological prognostic factors in patients treated with cytoreductive surgery and hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy (HIPEC)Dario Baratti
Department of Surgery, National Cancer Institute, Milan, Italy
Ann Surg Oncol 15:526-34. 2008..hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy (HIPEC) has been recently advocated as the standard of care for pseudomyxoma peritonei (PMP)...
- Prognostic value of baseline and serial carcinoembryonic antigen and carbohydrate antigen 19.9 measurements in patients with pseudomyxoma peritonei treated with cytoreduction and hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapyS van Ruth
Department of Surgical Oncology, The Netherlands Cancer Institute Antoni van Leeuwenhoek Hospital, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Ann Surg Oncol 9:961-7. 2002..9 (CA19.9) measurements in patients with pseudomyxoma peritonei treated with cytoreductive surgery and hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy (HIPEC).
- Closed hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy with open abdomen: a novel technique to reduce exposure of the surgical team to chemotherapy drugsLaurent Benoit
Service de Chirurgie Digestive, Thoracique et Cancérologique, CHU du Bocage, 2 Bd Mal de Lattre de Tassigny, 21079 Dijon Cedex, France
Ann Surg Oncol 15:542-6. 2008..With open-abdomen HIPEC, the opposite is true. Although the open-abdomen method is potentially more effective, it has not become a standard procedure because of the risk of exposure of members of the team to drugs...
- Management of mucinous urachal neoplasm presenting as pseudomyxoma peritoneiPaul H Sugarbaker
Washington Cancer Institute, Washington, DC 20010, USA
Tumori 94:732-6. 2008..Mucinous neoplasms of the urachus are rare malignancies so that the physicians' index of suspicion for a timely and accurate diagnosis is low. Also, this disease may present with a wide variety of symptoms and signs...
- Morbidity and mortality associated with intraperitoneal chemotherapy for Pseudomyxoma peritoneiSonia A Butterworth
Department of Surgery, British Columbia Cancer Agency, University of British Columbia, 855 West 10th Ave, Vancouver, BC, Canada V5Z 1L7
Am J Surg 183:529-32. 2002Many centers include intraperitoneal chemotherapy for treatment of pseudomyxoma peritonei. This study documented the morbidity of intraperitoneal chemotherapy in a single institution.
- TK-based methods to improve radioimmunotherapyJanina Baranowska Kortylewicz; Fiscal Year: 2006..Parameters such as the radioisotope uptake, tumor responses to augmented RIT, changes in tumor physiology, to improved clinical radioimmunotherapy of pancreatic cancer. ..