Genomes and Genes
Summary: Rare indolent tumors comprised of neoplastic glial and neuronal cells which occur primarily in children and young adults. Benign lesions tend to be associated with long survival unless the tumor degenerates into a histologically malignant form. They tend to occur in the optic nerve and white matter of the brain and spinal cord.
Articles from Journal RESEARCH
Articles from Journal RESEARCH1
Publications223 found, 100 shown here
- Desmoplastic infantile gangliogliomaG Tamburrini
Pediatric Neurosurgical Unit, Catholic University Medical School, Largo A Gemelli, 8, 00168, Rome, Italy
Childs Nerv Syst 19:292-7. 2003..The history of this patient confirms that tumor residuals do not need complimentary treatment; indeed they do not usually grow and, as in our patient, they can spontaneously disappear...
- Anaplastic ganglioglioma with malignant features in both neuronal and glial components--case reportTomoyuki Kawataki
Department of Neurosurgery, University of Yamanashi, Faculty of Medicine, Chuo, Yamanashi, Japan
Neurol Med Chir (Tokyo) 50:228-31. 2010A 34-year-old man presented with a case of anaplastic ganglioglioma with malignant features in both neuronal and glial components manifesting as seizure episodes over 11 months...
- Analysis of BRAF V600E mutation in 1,320 nervous system tumors reveals high mutation frequencies in pleomorphic xanthoastrocytoma, ganglioglioma and extra-cerebellar pilocytic astrocytomaGenevieve Schindler
Department of Neurosurgery, Medical Faculty of the Ruprecht Karls University Heidelberg, Mannheim, Germany
Acta Neuropathol 121:397-405. 2011..Future clinical trials should address whether BRAF (V600E) mutant brain tumor patients will benefit from BRAF (V600E)-directed targeted therapies...
- Differential cellular gene expression in gangliogliomaUzma Samadani
Department of Neurosurgery, University of Pennsylvania Medical Center, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
Epilepsia 48:646-53. 2007....
- Composite pleomorphic xanthoastrocytoma-ganglioglioma presenting as a suprasellar mass: case reportDavid John Yeh
Department of Neurosurgery, Medical College of Georgia, BI 3088, 1120 15th Street, Augusta, GA 30912, USA
Neurosurgery 52:1465-8; discussion 1468-9. 2003Composite pleomorphic xanthoastrocytoma (PXA)-ganglioglioma (GG) is a recently recognized, rare type of neoplasm that most commonly presents as a temporal seizure focus among male patients less than 30 years of age...
- Intracerebral ganglioglioma: clinical and radiological study of eleven surgically treated cases with follow-upF Ildan
Cukurova University School of Medicine, Department of Neurosurgery, Balcali, Adana, Turkey
Neurosurg Rev 24:114-8. 2001..Gangliogliomas are rare benign tumors of the CNS consisting of differentiated neural elements and low-grade glial cells...
- Malignant transformation of a gangliocytoma/ganglioglioma into a glioblastoma multiforme: a molecular genetic analysis. Case reportY Hayashi
Department of Neurosurgery, Kanazawa University School of Medicine, Japan
J Neurosurg 95:138-42. 2001A gangliocytoma/ganglioglioma with no atypical or malignant features was subtotally resected from the right temporal lobe of a 16-year-old woman...
- Malignant rhabdoid meningioma arising in the setting of preexisting ganglioglioma: a diagnosis supported by fluorescence in situ hybridization. Case reportSergei I Bannykh
Department of Pathology, University of California at San Diego, La Jolla, California 92093 0612, USA
J Neurosurg 97:1450-5. 2002..malignant brain neoplasm with rhabdoid morphological features emerged in the bed of a subtotally resected ganglioglioma in a 54-year-old retired nuclear submarine officer...
- Brainstem gangliogliomaEvriviadis Mpairamidis
Department of Neurosurgery, Children s Hospital Agia Sofia, Athens, Greece
J Child Neurol 23:1481-3. 2008..The authors present a rare case of a brainstem ganglioglioma in an 11-year-old boy who was referred to their hospital complaining of episodes of blurry vision, loss of ..
- Glioblastomatous transformation of ganglioglioma: case report with reference to molecular genetic and flow cytometric analysisNa Rae Kim
Department of Pathology, Gachon Medical School Gil Medical Center, Incheon, Korea
Pathol Int 53:874-82. 2003..The molecular basis for the malignant transformation of gangliogliomas remains unclear. We describe a case of ganglioglioma, which had transformed to glioblastoma after the gross total resection of the original tumor, in a 4-year-old ..
- The 2007 WHO Classification of Nervous System Tumors: newly recognized members of the mixed glioneuronal groupMarc K Rosenblum
Department of Pathology, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, 1275 York Avenue, New York, NY 10021, USA
Brain Pathol 17:308-13. 2007..These are the papillary glioneuronal tumor and the rosette-forming glioneuronal tumor of the fourth ventricle...
- Atypical papillary glioneuronal tumorJesus Vaquero
Department of Neurosurgery, Puerta de Hierro Hospital, Autonomous University, San Martin de Porres, 4, Madrid 28035, Spain
J Neurooncol 83:319-23. 2007....
- A child with refractory complex partial seizures, right temporal ganglioglioma, contralateral continuous electrical status epilepticus, and a secondary Landau-Kleffner autistic syndromeMohamad A Mikati
Department of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine, Adult and Pediatric Epilepsy Program, American University of Beirut, Medical Center, Beirut, Lebanon
Epilepsy Behav 14:411-7. 2009..Resection (ganglioglioma with excessive inflammation) resulted in seizure freedom and marked reduction of the autistic features...
- Supratentorial ganglioglioma and epilepsy: postoperative seizure outcomeSo Hyang Im
Department of Neurosurgery, Seoul National University College of Medicine, Chongno Gu, Korea
J Neurooncol 57:59-66. 2002b>Ganglioglioma is increasingly recognized as being a cause of epilepsy. However, controversy still exists regarding the type of surgery required for optimal seizure control...
- Early surgical intervention in adult patients with ganglioglioma is associated with improved clinical seizure outcomesIsaac Yang
Department of Neurological Surgery, University of California at Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California, USA
J Clin Neurosci 18:29-33. 2011..literature regarding the effects of early surgical intervention on the clinical outcome of patients with ganglioglioma. A boolean search of PubMed using key words "ganglioglioma", "adult", "seizure control", "treatment", "..
- [Anaplastic temporal ganglioglioma with spinal metastasis]M Danjoux
Service d'Anatomie et Cytologie Pathologiques, CHU Rangueil, 31403 Toulouse Cedex 4
Ann Pathol 21:55-8. 2001..The resected temporal lesion was an anaplastic ganglioglioma. Ganglioglioma is a tumor of children and young adults, characterized by two cell components, neuronal and ..
- Oligodendroglial ganglioglioma with anaplastic features arising from the thalamusM D Johnson
Department of Pathology, Vanderbilt Medical School and Nashville Veteran s Administration Medical Center, Nashville, TN 37212, USA
Pediatr Neurosurg 34:301-5. 2001..We report a 17-year-old female with a massive ganglioglioma containing anaplastic oligodendroglioma apparently arising from the thalamus...
- Hemifacial seizure of cerebellar ganglioglioma origin: seizure control by tumor resectionJ H Chae
Department of Pediatrics, Seoul National University Children's Hospital, Seoul, Korea
Epilepsia 42:1204-7. 2001..The lesion was partly removed; pathologic diagnosis was ganglioglioma. Because of incomplete seizure control and residual tumor visible on MRI, a second operation was performed...
- Ganglioglioma in a patient with Turcot syndrome. Case reportT Tamiya
Department of Neurological Surgery, Okayama University Medical School, Japan
J Neurosurg 92:170-5. 2000..The tumor was diagnosed as a ganglioglioma. No germline mutation in the adenomatous polyposis coli gene was detected using a protein truncation assay...
- Ganglioglioma with a tanycytic ependymoma as the glial componentS Hayashi
Department of Pathology, Brain Research Institute, Niigata University, 1 757 Asahimachi, Niigata 951 8585, Japan
Acta Neuropathol 99:310-6. 2000We studied a cystic ganglioglioma (GG) located in the right frontal lobe of the brain...
- Rosetted glioneuronal tumor: a case with proliferating neuronal nodulesK Keyvani
Institute of Neuropathology, Westfalische Wilhelms Universitat Munster, Germany
Acta Neuropathol 101:525-8. 2001..Remarkably, highest proliferative activity was observed within the neuronal nodules. Comparative genomic hybridization revealed a gain of chromosome 7q and a loss on chromosome 9p...
- Cerebellopontine angle ganglioglioma: MR findingsJ W Kwon
Department of Radiology, Institute of Radiation Medicine, MRC, Seoul National University College of Medicine, 28, Yongon-dong, Chongno-gu, Seoul, 110-744, Korea
AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 22:1377-9. 2001We present a case of cerebellopontine (CP) angle ganglioglioma in a young child with developmental delay and no trigeminal nerve symptoms...
- Ganglioglioma of the brainstem: report of three cases and review of the literatureA Lagares
Department of Neurosurgery, Hospital 12 de Octubre, Madrid, Spain
Surg Neurol 56:315-22; discussion 322-4. 2001..However, they may cause sudden death. There are only 31 cases of brainstem ganglioglioma reported in the literature, and only one has been studied with magnetic resonance (MR)...
- Nestin expression in gangliogliomaNeil Duggal
Department of Clinical Neurological Sciences, Division of Neurosurgery, London, Ontario N6A 5C1, Canada
Exp Neurol 174:89-95. 2002..The clinical and operative features of 18 recent cases meeting the histological criteria for ganglioglioma were reviewed...
- Immunophenotype of pleomorphic xanthoastrocytomaCaterina Giannini
Department of Pathology, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
Am J Surg Pathol 26:479-85. 2002..We found no evidence that the former is a precursor of the latter...
- A rosette-forming glioneuronal tumor of the fourth ventricle: infratentorial form of dysembryoplastic neuroepithelial tumor?Takashi Komori
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
Am J Surg Pathol 26:582-91. 2002....
- Genome-wide survey for chromosomal imbalances in ganglioglioma using comparative genomic hybridizationXiao Lu Yin
Department of Anatomical and Cellular Pathology, Prince of Wales Hospital, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, China
Cancer Genet Cytogenet 134:71-6. 2002b>Ganglioglioma is a mixed neuronal and glial tumor first described by Perkin in 1926. Because of its rare occurrence in the central nervous system, the pathogenesis of this neoplasm is still largely unknown...
- Gangliogliomas: an intriguing tumor entity associated with focal epilepsiesIngmar Blumcke
Department of Neuropathology, University of Erlangen, Germany
J Neuropathol Exp Neurol 61:575-84. 2002..The reelin signaling and tuberin/insulin growth receptor pathways have recently been implicated in ganglioglioma development...
- Anaplastic progression in low grade glioneural neoplasmsIan R Whittle
Acta Neuropathol 104:215. 2002
- Intracranial ganglioglioma: preoperative characteristics and oncologic outcome after surgerySo Hyang Im
Department of Neurosurgery, Clinical Research Institute, Seoul National University Hospital, Korea
J Neurooncol 59:173-83. 2002..Even though ganglioglioma is a slowly growing benign tumor, which could be demonstrated by magnetic resonance spectroscopy (MRS), PET, ..
- Rosette-forming glioneuronal tumor of the fourth ventricleMatthias Preusser
Institute of Neurology, University of Vienna, AKH 4J, Wahringer Gurtel 18 20, POB 48, 1097, Vienna, Austria
Acta Neuropathol 106:506-8. 2003..Thus, our case confirms RGNT as a new distinct type of primary CNS neoplasm. Due to its distinct features, adoption of RGNT as a new entity into the WHO classification of tumors should be considered...
- Gangliogliomas: A report of five casesV Nair
Department of Pathology, G B Pant Hospital, New Delhi, India
Indian J Cancer 41:41-6. 2004..Astrocytes were the commonest glial component of GGs, either pilocytic or fibrillary. Oligodendrocytes as the glial component of GGs was seen in 2 cases one of which was anaplastic and this is a rare finding...
- Conventional MR imaging with simultaneous measurements of cerebral blood volume and vascular permeability in gangliogliomaMeng Law
Department of Radiology, NYU Medical Center, New York, NY, USA
Magn Reson Imaging 22:599-606. 2004..14 +/- 1.67. p Value < 0.05 compared with grade 1 and 2 ganglioglioma. The mean K(trans) was 0.0018 +/- 0.0035...
- New variants of malignant glioneuronal tumors: a clinicopathological study of 40 casesPascale Varlet
Department of Pathology Neuro oncology, Sainte Anne Hospital and Faculté Cochin Port Royal, University Paris V, 75674 Paris, France
Neurosurgery 55:1377-91: discussion 1391-2. 2004....
- Malignant transformation of a spinal cord ganglioglioma--case report and review of the literatureP L Di Patre
Department of Pathology, Neuropathology Unit, University Hospitals, Geneva, Switzerland
Clin Neuropathol 23:298-303. 2004..We report on a ganglioglioma of the spinal cord that recurred as a malignant glioma one and a half years after resection...
- Aberrant TP53 protein accumulation in the neuronal component of gangliogliomaTakao Fukushima
Department of Neurological Surgery, Nihon University School of Medicine, 30 1 Oyaguchi Kamimachi, Itabashi ku, Tokyo, 173 8610, Japan
J Neurooncol 72:103-6. 2005..The authors report here the first unequivocal case of a ganglioglioma harboring aberrant TP53 product that was expressed predominantly in the neuronal component...
- Atypical teratoid/rhabdoid tumor evolving from an optic pathway ganglioglioma: case studyJeffrey C Allen
Department of Neurology, New York University School of Medicine, New York, NY 10016, USA
Neuro Oncol 8:79-82. 2006We report an atypical teratoid/rhabdoid tumor arising in a ganglioglioma from an 11-year-old male who had been treated over a nine-year period...
- Expression of CD34 as a novel marker for glioneuronal lesions associated with chronic intractable epilepsyP Deb
Department of Pathology, All India Institute of Medical Sciences AIIMS, New Delhi, India
Neuropathol Appl Neurobiol 32:461-8. 2006....
- Malignant and benign ganglioglioma: a pathological and molecular studyAjay Pandita
Arthur and Sonia Labatt Brain Tumour Research Centre, Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Neuro Oncol 9:124-34. 2007..The current study of a rare case of a woman harboring a ganglioglioma with areas of malignant transformation addresses two fundamental questions: (1) Are the ganglioglioma and its ..
- Rosette-forming glioneuronal tumor of the fourth ventricle: report of two cases with a differential diagnostic overviewIstvan Vajtai
Section of Neuropathology, Institute of Pathology, University of Bern, Switzerland
Pathol Res Pract 203:613-9. 2007....
- Desmoplastic infantile ganglioglioma: novel aspects in clinical presentation and geneticsKimmo Lönnrot
Unit of Neurosurgery, Tampere University Hospital, FIN 33521 Tampere, Finland
Surg Neurol 68:304-8; discussion 308. 2007Desmoplastic infantile ganglioglioma is a rare tumor occurring mainly in infants and young children. Both radiological and histopathological appearances may resemble malignancy, although its clinical course is mainly benign.
- Ganglioglioma in the cerebellopontine angle in a child. Case report and review of the literatureBrian D Milligan
Department of Neurologic Surgery, Mayo Clinic, St Mary s Hospital, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
J Neurosurg 107:292-6. 2007The authors report a case of a posterior fossa ganglioglioma centered in the cerebellopontine angle occurring in a child. As with cortically based gangliogliomas, the primary therapy is resection...
- Low grade ganglioglioma rapidly progressing to a WHO grade IV tumor showing malignant transformation in both astroglial and neuronal cell componentsMichel Mittelbronn
Institute of Brain Research, University of Tuebingen, Tuebingen, Germany
Neuropathology 27:463-7. 2007..Herein, we present the case of a now 47-year-old female patient presenting with a benign ganglioglioma and showing a tumor recurrence 2 years later with an anaplastic ganglioglioma, assigned to WHO grade IV, with ..
- Gene expression profile analysis of epilepsy-associated gangliogliomasE Aronica
Department of Neuro Pathology, Academic Medical Center, University of Amsterdam, Meibergdreef 9, 1105 AZ Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Neuroscience 151:272-92. 2008..Furthermore, they indicate possible targets that may be investigated in order to dissect the mechanisms of epileptogenesis and possibly counteract the epileptogenic process in these developmental lesions...
- Comprehensive characterization of genomic aberrations in gangliogliomas by CGH, array-based CGH and interphase FISHAlexander Hoischen
Department of Human Genetics, Rheinische Friedrich Wilhelms University of Zürich, Zurich, Switerland
Brain Pathol 18:326-37. 2008..In summary, genomic profiling in a large series of gangliogliomas could distinguish genetic subgroups even in this low-grade tumor...
- Anaplastic ganglioglioma arising from a Lhermitte-Duclos-like lesion. Case reportHidehiro Takei
Department of Pathology, Texas Children s Cancer Center, Baylor College of Medicine, USA
J Neurosurg 107:137-42. 2007..review of the tissue sections showed a nidus of associated astrocytic proliferation, suggesting a diagnosis of ganglioglioma. Five years later, the patient experienced an altered mental state and a facial droop...
- Rosette-forming glioneuronal tumor: pathology case reportJosé Pimentel
Department of Neurology, Laboratory of Neuropathology, Institute of Molecular Medicine, Hospital de Santa Maria, Lisbon Faculty of Medicine, Lisbon, Portugal
Neurosurgery 62:E1162-3; discussion E1163. 2008..Rosette-forming glioneuronal tumor is a newly described mixed glial and neuronal tumor. We describe two cases and review the literature to better characterize this entity...
- Desmoplastic infantile ganglioglioma: a report of 2 cases and a review of the literatureGeorge A Alexiou
Department of Neurosurgery, Children s Hospital Agia Sofia, Athens, Greece
Pediatr Neurosurg 44:422-5. 2008..The tumors were completely removed by surgery. The histological diagnosis was DIG. On follow-up examinations no tumor recurrence was noted...
- Clinicoradiological features of rosette-forming glioneuronal tumor (RGNT) of the fourth ventricle: report of four cases and literature reviewFranz Marhold
Department of Neurosurgery, Medical University of Vienna, Wahringer Gurtel 18 20, 1090, Vienna, Austria
J Neurooncol 90:301-8. 2008..Despite benign histological features and a reported favorable postoperative course, there is still limited clinical experience with this tumor...
- Tumor recurrence and malignant progression of gangliogliomasMichael Majores
Department of Neuropathology, University of Bonn Medical Center, Bonn, Germany
Cancer 113:3355-63. 2008..Most gangliogliomas (GGs) are benign tumors, but tumor recurrence and malignant progression are observed in some patients...
- Pontomedullary ganglioglioma: a rare tumour in an unusual locationDavid A Westwood
Department of Neurosurgery, Christchurch Hospital, Private Bag 4710, Christchurch 8001, New Zealand
J Clin Neurosci 16:108-10. 2009..We present the case of an infant with a pontomedullary ganglioglioma and discuss the relevant literature.
- Anaplastic ganglioglioma in childrenMichael Karremann
Department of Pediatrics and Adolescence Medicine, Martin Luther University Halle Wittenberg, Halle, Germany
J Neurooncol 92:157-63. 2009..As very few pediatric patients have been studied, we analyzed the cases registered in the HIT-GBM database...
- Minimum apparent diffusion coefficient for the differential diagnosis of gangliogliomaToshio Kikuchi
Department of Neurosurgery, Tohoku University Graduate School of Medicine, Aoba ku, Sendai, Japan
Neurol Res 31:1102-7. 2009The utility of apparent diffusion coefficient (ADC) values was evaluated for the differential diagnosis of ganglioglioma.
- A report of a desmoplastic non-infantile ganglioglioma in a 6-year-old boy with review of the literatureHuseyin Per
Department of Pediatric Neurology, Medical Faculty, Erciyes University, Kayseri, Turkey
Neurosurg Rev 32:369-74; discussion 374. 2009..As far as we know, this case is the 16th in literature. We reported the magnetic resonance imaging and histological findings of desmoplastic ganglioglioma in a 6-year-old boy.
- Rosette-forming glioneuronal tumor: report of an unusual case with intraventricular disseminationYin Wang
Department of Neuropathology, Institute of Neurology, Huashan Hospital, Fudan University, 12 Wu Lu Mu Qi Zhong Road, 200040 Shanghai, China
Acta Neuropathol 118:813-9. 2009..Further long-term follow-up studies are required to assess the biological behavior and clinical outcome of the RGNT entity...
- Oligodendroglial neoplasms with ganglioglioma-like maturation: a diagnostic pitfallArie Perry
Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63110 1093, USA
Acta Neuropathol 120:237-52. 2010..Nevertheless, ganglioglioma-like foci (GGLF) have not been previously described...
- Malignant ganglioglioma: case report and review of literatureRyan DeMarchi
Division of Neurosurgery, St Michael s Hospital, Keenan Research Centre, The Li Ka Shing Knowledge Institute, 30 Bond Street, Toronto, ON M5B 1W8, Canada
J Neurooncol 101:311-8. 2011We report a case of de novo malignant ganglioglioma. A 61-year-old male presented with a 12-day history of headaches and general malaise...
- Desmoplastic non-infantile ganglioglioma in late adulthoodLeonardo Rangel-Castilla
Department of Neurosurgery, The Methodist Neurological Institute, 6560 Fannin St, Suite 944, Houston, TX 77030, USA
J Neurooncol 103:733-7. 2011Desmoplastic infantile ganglioglioma (DIG) is an uncommon supratentorial neuroepithelial brain tumor that typically occurs in infants younger than 24 months...
- Multiple band frequency analysis in a child of medial temporal lobe gangliogliomaTomoko Mizuno
Department of Child Neurology, National Center Hospital, National Center of Neurology and Psychiatry NCNP, 4 1 1, Kodaira, Tokyo 187 8551, Japan
Childs Nerv Syst 27:479-83. 2011We report a 1-year 6-month-old girl with ganglioglioma in the right medial temporal lobe who showed epileptic spasms in clusters. Spasms occasionally followed a dazed and fearful gaze...
- Desmoplastic infantile and non-infantile ganglioglioma. Review of the literatureMiguel Gelabert-Gonzalez
Institute of Neurological Science, University of Santiago de Compostela, San Francisco 1, 15705, Santiago de Compostela, Spain
Neurosurg Rev 34:151-8. 2010..A literature review of DIG was compiled through Medline/Ovid using the keywords "desmoplastic infantile ganglioglioma", "desmoplastic non-infantile ganglioglioma" covering the years 1984-2009...
- Diffuse form of dysembryoplastic neuroepithelial tumour: the histological and immunohistochemical features of a distinct entity showing transition to dysembryoplastic neuroepithelial tumour and gangliogliomaI Bodi
Department of Clinical Neuropathology Neurosurgery, King s College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, London, UK
Neuropathol Appl Neurobiol 38:411-25. 2012..The dDNT poses a significant challenge to the neuropathologist. This study was undertaken to further characterize the histological and immunohistochemical features of dDNT...
- Atypical teratoid/rhabdoid tumor arising in a ganglioglioma: genetic characterizationB K Kleinschmidt-Demasters
Department of Pathology, Anschutz Medical Campus, University of Colorado, Denver, CO 80045, USA
Am J Surg Pathol 35:1894-901. 2011..A few reports of AT/RT evolving from a low-grade ganglioglioma (GG) or pleomorphic xanthoastrocytoma have appeared...
- Composite ganglioglioma/dysembryoplastic neuroepithelial tumor: a clinicopathologic study of 8 casesRichard A Prayson
Department of Anatomic Pathology, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
Hum Pathol 43:1113-8. 2012b>Ganglioglioma and dysembryoplastic neuroepithelial tumor are both low-grade glioneuronal neoplasms that most commonly occur in association with chronic epilepsy...
- Long-term outcomes for low-grade intracranial ganglioglioma: 30-year experience from the Mayo ClinicJulia J Compton
Department of Radiation Oncology, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, Indiana, USA
J Neurosurg 117:825-30. 2012..The objective of this study was to examine and review the Mayo Clinic experience of 88 patients with gangliogliomas, their follow-up, risk of recurrence, and the role of radiation therapy after STR or only biopsy...
- Mutant BRAF V600E protein in ganglioglioma is predominantly expressed by neuronal tumor cellsChristian Koelsche
Department of Neuropathology, Ruprecht Karls Universitat Heidelberg, Im Neuenheimer Feld 224, 69120, Heidelberg, Germany
Acta Neuropathol 125:891-900. 2013b>Ganglioglioma is a rare CNS tumor with a benign biological behavior. Recently, the BRAF V600E mutation was identified in approximately 20 % of gangliogliomas...
- BRAF(V600E) mutation is a negative prognosticator in pediatric gangliogliomaSonika Dahiya
Department of Pathology and Immunology, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO, USA
Acta Neuropathol 125:901-10. 2013..appearance, these tumors recur with varying frequencies; however, little data exist that adequately predict ganglioglioma recurrence in children...
- Malignant glial tumor arising from the site of a previous hamartoma/ganglioglioma: coincidence or malignant transformation?M A Mittler
Division of Pediatric Neurosurgery, Childrens Hospital Los Angeles, Los Angeles, Calif, USA
Pediatr Neurosurg 30:132-4. 1999Gangliogliomas are generally considered benign tumors. Although more commonly found in the brain, spinal cord ganglioglioma is a well established, albeit infrequent, entity...
- Neuroblastomatous recurrence of ganglioglioma. Case reportK M David
Department of Neurosurgery, Charing Cross Hospital, London, United Kingdom
J Neurosurg 93:698-700. 2000This case is believed to be the first reported recurrent intracranial ganglioglioma with purely neuroblastomatous malignant transformation...
- Anaplastic ganglioglioma with sarcomatous component: an immunohistochemical study and molecular analysis of p53 tumor suppressor geneHiroyoshi Suzuki
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Sendai National Hospital, Japan
Neuropathology 22:40-7. 2002The present case report describes a case of ganglioglioma with a distinct sarcomatous component in the left temporal lobe of a 59-year-old Japanese man...
- Desmoplastic infantile ganglioglioma: a rare tumor with an unusual presentationAbir Khaddage
Department of Pathology, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire de Saint Etienne, Cedex, France
Ann Diagn Pathol 8:280-3. 2004Desmoplastic infantile ganglioglioma (World Health Organization grade I) is a rare neoplasm. Despite their common large size and spectacular radiologic and histologic features, the prognosis after surgical resection is good...
- A report of a desmoplastic ganglioglioma in a 12-year-old girl with review of the literatureI Pommepuy
Department of Pathology, Dupuytren University Hospital, 2 Avenue Martin Luther King, 87042, Limoges Cedex, France
J Neurooncol 76:271-5. 2006Desmoplastic infantile ganglioglioma is a supratentorial tumor that typically occurs in infants below the age of 24 months. Rare tumors with the same radiological and histological characteristics have been described in older subjects...
- Ganglioglioma with anaplastic recurrence of the neuronal element following radiotherapyAndrew Tarnaris
Department of Neurosurgery, Morriston Hospital, Swansea SA6 6NL, UK
Clin Neurol Neurosurg 108:761-7. 2006..this mostly occurs in the glial element, we present a case of malignant neuroblastomatous transformation of a ganglioglioma. This is only the second ever case to our knowledge in the literature reporting the participation of the ..
- Desmoplastic infantile ganglioglioma with calcificationMinakshi Bhardwaj
Department of Pathology, Dr Ram Manohar Lohia Hospital, New Delhi, India
Neuropathology 26:318-22. 2006..The present case extends the reported spectrum of this rare entity and describes the unusual occurrence of calcification within the lesion...
- Anaplastic ganglioglioma in a middle-aged woman: a case report with a review of the literatureDong Ho Kang
Department of Neurosurgery, Institute of Health Science, Gyeongsang National University School of Medicine, Jinju, Korea
J Korean Med Sci 22:S139-44. 2007We report a case of anaplastic ganglioglioma. A 45-yr-old woman was admitted with a 5-month history of headache and dizziness, both of which progressed slowly...
- MRI of long-term epilepsy-associated tumorsHorst Urbach
Department of Radiology Neuroradiology, University of Bonn Medical Center, Bonn, Germany
Semin Ultrasound CT MR 29:40-6. 2008..This distinction is important since more than 70% of patients with drug resistant temporal lobe epilepsy caused by gangliogliomas and DNTs get seizure free following extended lesionectomy...
- The expanding family of glioneuronal tumorsDaniela S Allende
Department of Anatomic Pathology, Cleveland Clinic, 9500 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
Adv Anat Pathol 16:33-9. 2009..These tumors are relatively infrequent lesions, and because of that, they can be challenging to diagnose for the practicing pathologist. In this article, we summarize the clinical and pathologic findings of these new lesions...
- Aggressive variant of a papillary glioneuronal tumor. Report of 2 casesRamin J Javahery
Division of Neurosurgery, Childrens Hospital Los Angeles, Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, California 90033, USA
J Neurosurg Pediatr 3:46-52. 2009..The first patient had dissemination of her tumor and the second had local spreading. Therefore, the authors conclude that papillary glioneuronal tumors do not always behave in a strictly benign fashion...
- Pleomorphic xanthoastrocytoma as a component of a temporal lobe cystic ganglioglioma: a case reportYasuo Sugita
Department of Pathology, Kurume University School of Medicine, 67 Asahimachi, Kurume 830 0011, Japan
Brain Tumor Pathol 26:31-6. 2009We report a case of pleomorphic xanthoastrocytoma (PXA) as a component of a ganglioglioma in a 13-year-old Japanese boy. Magnetic resonance imaging showed a large cystic lesion with an enhanced mural nodule of the left temporal lobe...
- Glioneuronal tumor with neuropil-like islands of the spinal cord with diffuse leptomeningeal neuraxis disseminationBree Ruppert
Department of Radiation Oncology, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, SC, USA
J Neurooncol 104:529-33. 2011..Herein, we report a unique example of a spinal glioneuronal tumor with neuropil-like islands with associated leptomeningeal dissemination involving the entire craniospinal axis...
- Anaplastic ganglioglioma of the cerebellopontine angle. Case reportKazuhito Matsuzaki
Department of Neurosurgery, Institute of Health Biosciences, The University of Tokushima Graduate School, Japan
Neurol Med Chir (Tokyo) 45:591-5. 2005A 64-year-old woman presented with a rare anaplastic ganglioglioma in the right cerebellopontine angle manifesting as dizziness persisting for 2 weeks...
- Mixed conventional and desmoplastic infantile ganglioglioma: an autopsied case with 6-year follow-upT Komori
Department of Pathology and Laboratory MedicineMayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota, USA
Mod Pathol 14:720-6. 2001We describe a case of desmoplastic infantile ganglioglioma (DIG) arising in the ventral diencephalon of a 3-1/2-month-old boy...
- Cytologic features of desmoplastic infantile ganglioglioma: a report of two casesY Hasegawa
Department of Pathology, Kanagawa Children's Medical Center and Yokohama City University Medical Center, Japan
Acta Cytol 45:1037-42. 2001BACKGROUND: Desmoplastic infantile ganglioglioma (DIG) is a rare intracranial tumor of infancy, characterized by solid and cystic components, voluminous size and supratentorial location...
- Chronological changes on magnetic resonance images in a case of desmoplastic infantile gangliogliomaJen Ho Tseng
Department of Neurosurgery, National Taiwan University Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan, ROC
Pediatr Neurosurg 36:29-32. 2002..Surgical pathology confirmed the diagnosis of DIG. However, for a patient with epilepsy, it is recommended that this condition should be treated immediately with surgery...
- Desmoplastic infantile ganglioglioma: a potentially malignant tumor?K De Munnynck
Department of Pathology, University of Leuven, Belgium
Am J Surg Pathol 26:1515-22. 2002Desmoplastic infantile ganglioglioma is a rare intracranial tumor of early childhood with a usually excellent prognosis despite malignant features both radiologically and histologically...
- Tuberin expression in gangliogliomaY Arai
Department of Clinical Laboratory, Neurology, National Center Hospital for Mental, Nervous and Muscular Disorders, Tokyo, Japan
Ultrastruct Pathol 24:93-8. 2000..The accumulation of tuberin in astrocytes with intracellular degenerative changes suggests increased expression in reactive cells, and perhaps a broader role for tuberin in central nervous system disease...
- Ganglioneurocytoma mimicking a malignant tumor: case report with a literature review of the MRI appearance of neurocytomas and gangliogliomasA Chan
Department of Pediatrics (Neurology, School of Osteopathic Medicine, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, 40 E. Laurel Rd, Suite 100, Stratford, NJ 08084, USA
J Neuroimaging 11:47-50. 2001..Contrast enhancement was extensive and heterogeneous, mimicking a malignant tumor. Neuropathology revealed a ganglioneurocytoma...
- December 2000: 6 month old boy with 2 week history of progressive lethargyX Fan
Department of Pathology, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, TN, USA
Brain Pathol 11:265-6. 2001..With immunohistochemistry and special stains the diagnosis of desmoplastic infantile ganglioglioma (DIG) was made. A near total resection was performed a week after initial resection...
- Clinico-pathological analysis of pilocytic astrocytomas and gangliogliomasT Fiks
Department of Pathology, Medical Academy,
Pol J Pathol 52:47-51. 2001..These cases were reclassified as gangliogliomas (GG). None of the 11 tumors recognized as GG was reclassified as PA. The overall 5-year survival was 88.89% in the PA and 70% in GG groups...
- Ex vivo pediatric brain tumors express Fas (CD95) and FasL (CD95L) and are resistant to apoptosis inductionC D Riffkin
Department of Hematology and Oncology, Royal Children's Hospital, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Neuro Oncol 3:229-40. 2001..The results suggest that Fas expression may be a general feature of tumors of the CNS and that a significant degree of resistance to Fas-mediated apoptosis may exist in ex vivo pediatric brain tumor specimens...
- September 2001: 51-year-old man with seizures since childhoodScott Raffo
Department of Pathology, University of Rochester Medical Center, NY, USA
Brain Pathol 12:137-9. 2002..Microscopic and immunohistochemical studies demonstrated an atypical ganglioglioma due to the presence of neurofibrillary tangles within the neoplastic ganglion cell component...
- Ganglioglioma presenting as a meningioma: case report and review of the literatureKhawar Siddique
Department of Neurosurgery, University of Illinois College of Medicine at Peoria, Peoria, Illinois 61637 0999, USA
Neurosurgery 50:1133-5; discussion 1135-6. 2002Gangliogliomas are intra-axial, avascular masses located predominantly in the temporal lobe. A ganglioglioma that mimics a meningioma in that it is extra-axial and has a significant extracranial vascular supply has not been reported ..
- Cortical perivascular satellitosis in intractable epilepsy; a form of cortical dysplasia?Takashi Komori
Department of Clinical Neuropathology, Tokyo Metropolitan Institute for Neuroscience, 2 6 Musashidai, Fuchu City, Tokyo 183 8526, Japan
Acta Neuropathol 104:149-54. 2002..These cells closely apposed each other and were adhered to the capillaries. In case 2, a ganglioglioma was also found in the amygdala...
- Good clinical course in infants with desmoplastic cerebral neuroepithelial tumor treated by surgery aloneKazuhiko Sugiyama
Department of Neurosurgery, Hiroshima University Medical Hospital, Japan
J Neurooncol 59:63-9. 2002We investigated why surgery alone provides for a benign clinical course in patients with desmoplastic infantile ganglioglioma and astrocytoma (DIG/A)...
- Gamma-Knife radiosurgery of mesiotemporal tumour epilepsy observations and long-term resultsO Schröttner
Department of Neurosurgery, Karl Franzens University, Graz, Austria
Acta Neurochir Suppl 84:49-55. 2002..The authors present a retrospective analysis of 19 cases treated by Gamma-Knife radiosurgery (GKRS) for mesiotemporal tumour epilepsy...
- Desmoplastic infantile ganglioglioma--clinicopathological and immunohistochemical study of four casesPritilata Rout
Department of Neuropathology, National Institute of Mental Health and Neurosciences, Bangalore 560029, India
Childs Nerv Syst 18:463-7. 2002Four cases of desmoplastic infantile ganglioglioma (DIG) seen in India are described...
- A papillary glioneuronal tumor arising in an elderly woman: a case reportChoutatsu Tsukayama
Department of Pathology, Kurashiki Central Hospital, 1 1 1 Miwa, Kurashiki, Okayama 710 8602, Japan
Brain Tumor Pathol 19:35-9. 2002..Although it is most common in young adults, it can occur in the elderly. We report a case in a 75-year-old woman, the oldest reported person with PGNT described...
- Language processing during natural sleep in a 6-year-old boy, as assessed with functional MR imagingMarko Wilke
Imaging Research Center and Department of Psychiatry, Cincinnati Children s Hospital Medical Center, OH 45229, USA
AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 24:42-4. 2003..Our findings suggest that language processing does occur during natural sleep, even in young children. This potentially allows for an assessment of language functions, even in sleeping children...
- The pathological basis of temporal lobe epilepsy in childhoodC Bocti
Department of Pediatrics, Neurology, Hopital Ste Justine, Universite de Montreal, Canada
Neurology 60:191-5. 2003..To characterize the pathologic findings of temporal lobe epilepsy (TLE) in children undergoing temporal lobectomy for refractory seizures and to correlate these findings with clinical presentation...
- August 2002: 21-year-old male with cystic intracerebral tumorC Sarkar
Department of Pathology, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, India
Brain Pathol 13:113-4, 117. 2003..Therefore, although rare, in an intracerebral cystic lesion with mural nodule, the possibility of an intracerebral schwannoma should be entertained. This is important because this is a benign tumor with favourable response to resection...
- September 2002: 24-year-old female with a 6-month history of seizuresKatrin Lamszus
Department of Neuropathology, University Hospital Hamburg Eppendorf, Germany
Brain Pathol 13:115-7. 2003..The diagnosis was papillary glioneuronal tumor (PGNT), a relatively recently described lesion that may be a variant of ganglioglioma. The current literature on PGNTs is reviewed.
- Allopregnanolone serum levels and expression of 5 alpha-reductase and 3 alpha-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase isoforms in hippocampal and temporal cortex of patients with epilepsyBirgit Stoffel-Wagner
Department of Clinical Biochemistry, University of Bonn, Sigmund Freud Str 25, D 53105 Bonn, Germany
Epilepsy Res 54:11-9. 2003..These findings provide further molecular biological evidence for the formation and metabolism of neuroactive steroids in the human brain...
- Peter B Crino; Fiscal Year: 2016..Several DBM subtypes such as focal cortical dysplasia (FCD), hemimegalencephaly (HME), and ganglioglioma (GG) are associated with enhanced mTOR pathway signaling during brain development...
- Intravascular Thrombosis in GlioblastomaDaniel Brat; Fiscal Year: 2005..Our emerging model represents a paradigm shift in the understanding of GBM and should lead directly to more effective therapies. ..
- Comparative DNA Microarray Analysis of Brain TumorsDaniel Brat; Fiscal Year: 2006....
- Vaso-occlusive Mechanisms that Induce Hypoxia and Cause Glioma Progression.Daniel J Brat; Fiscal Year: 2010..This proposal introduces entirely novel concepts that may explain the highly aggressive properties of GBM and suggests therapeutic approaches that could potentially stabilize its progression. ..
- GENE EXPRESSION AND CLONALITY IN DYSPLASTIC CORTICAL NEUPeter Crino; Fiscal Year: 2002..Furthermore, by identifying altered expression of select genes, the relationship between FCD and various mental disorders can be discerned. These analyses may point toward new avenues for therapy. ..
- PATHOPHYSIOLOGY OF CHOREAJonathan Mink; Fiscal Year: 2002..abstract_text> ..
- DEVELOPMENTAL PATHOGENESIS OF HUMAN CORTICAL DYSPLASIAPeter Crino; Fiscal Year: 2003..Furthermore, in identifying alterations in specific genes, the relationship between FCD and mental disorders can be rendered. These analyses may point toward new avenues for therapy. ..
- Cellular Proliferation and EpileptogenesisPeter Crino; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Molecular pathogenesis of focal cortical dysplasiasPeter B Crino; Fiscal Year: 2010..These studies provide a targeted, pathway directed strategy to identify altered protein expression, gene transcription, and gene sequence that lead to the formation of FCD and HMEG during brain development. ..
- Clinical and Neuropsychological Investigations in Batten DiseaseJonathan W Mink; Fiscal Year: 2010..Although JNCL is a rare disease, our research has implications that can be generalized to the study of other degenerative neurologic disorders in children and for preparing translational clinical trials in these diseases. ..