Genomes and Genes
Summary: A combination of distressing physical, psychologic, or behavioral changes that occur during the luteal phase of the menstrual cycle. Symptoms of PMS are diverse (such as pain, water-retention, anxiety, cravings, and depression) and they diminish markedly 2 or 3 days after the initiation of menses.
Publications282 found, 100 shown here
- Premenstrual syndromeLori M Dickerson
Department of Family Medicine, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, South Carolina 29406, USA
Am Fam Physician 67:1743-52. 2003b>Premenstrual syndrome, a common cyclic disorder of young and middle-aged women, is characterized by emotional and physical symptoms that consistently occur during the luteal phase of the menstrual cycle...
- Psychological intervention for premenstrual syndrome: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trialsJason W Busse
Department of Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ont, Canada
Psychother Psychosom 78:6-15. 2009We conducted a systematic review and meta-analysis to determine the efficacy of psychological interventions for premenstrual syndrome.
- Treatment for the premenstrual syndrome with agnus castus fruit extract: prospective, randomised, placebo controlled studyR Schellenberg
Institute for Health Care and Science, 35625 Hüttenberg, Germany
BMJ 322:134-7. 2001To compare the efficacy and tolerability of agnus castus fruit (Vitex agnus castus L extract Ze 440) with placebo for women with the premenstrual syndrome.
- Vitamin D and the occurrence of depression: causal association or circumstantial evidence?Elizabeth R Bertone-Johnson
Division of Biostatistics and Epidemiology, Department of Public Health, School of Public Health and Health Sciences, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, Massachusetts, USA
Nutr Rev 67:481-92. 2009..At this time, it is premature to conclude that vitamin D status is related to the occurrence of depression. Additional prospective studies of this relationship are essential...
- Oxidant/antioxidant status in premenstrual syndromeCandan Iltemir Duvan
Department of Obstetric and Gynecology, University of Fatih, Yukari Ayranci, Ankara, Turkey
Arch Gynecol Obstet 283:299-304. 2011To investigate oxidant/antioxidant status in premenstrual syndrome (PMS).
- Mood instability in women with premenstrual syndromeRudy Bowen
Department of Psychiatry, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon SK
J Obstet Gynaecol Can 33:927-34. 2011..We investigated whether mood instability was higher in women with premenstrual syndrome (PMS) than in a control group with no PMS.
- The burden of moderate/severe premenstrual syndrome and premenstrual dysphoric disorder in a cohort of Latin American womenAlexandre Schiola
Bayer HealthCare Pharmaceuticals, Sao Paolo, Brazil
Value Health 14:S93-5. 2011The aim of this study was to investigate the relationship between symptom severity, cost, and impairment in women with moderate/severe premenstrual syndrome (PMS) or premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD) in a Latin American setting.
- Withdrawal and pre-menstrual symptomatology during the menstrual cycle in short-term smoking abstinence: effects of menstrual cycle on smoking abstinenceS S Allen
Department of Family Practice and Community Health, University of Minnesota School of Medicine, Minneapolis, USA
Nicotine Tob Res 1:129-42. 1999..This suggests women may have greater difficulty quitting smoking in late luteal phase, and it seems prudent to recommend that women quit during the follicular phase of their cycle...
- Are there differential symptom profiles that improve in response to different pharmacological treatments of premenstrual syndrome/premenstrual dysphoric disorder?Uriel Halbreich
Biobehavior Program, Department of Psychiatry, State University of New York at Buffalo, New York 14214, USA
CNS Drugs 20:523-47. 2006Current evidence suggests that the accepted treatments for premenstrual syndrome (PMS)/premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD) have similar overall efficacy...
- Acupuncture for premenstrual syndrome: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomised controlled trialsS Y Kim
Department of Oriental Medical Science, Graduate School, College of Korean Medicine, Kyung Hee University, Seoul, Korea
BJOG 118:899-915. 2011Although acupuncture is widely applied in obstetrics and gynaecology, evidence for its efficacy in treating premenstrual syndrome (PMS) is equivocal.
- Criteria for premenstrual dysphoric disorder: secondary analyses of relevant data setsS Ann Hartlage
Department of Psychiatry, Rush University Medical Center, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Arch Gen Psychiatry 69:300-5. 2012..However, data regarding the symptoms noted in DSM-IV and timing of their expression in the menstrual cycle have had little empirical support...
- Treatment for premenstrual syndrome with Vitex agnus castus: A prospective, randomized, multi-center placebo controlled study in ChinaZhong He
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Peking Union Medical College Hospital, Peking Union Medical College, Chinese Academy of Medical Science, Beijing, PR China
Maturitas 63:99-103. 2009To investigate the efficacy and safety of VAC BNO 1095 extract in Chinese women suffering from moderate to severe premenstrual syndrome (PMS).
- Abnormal luteal phase excitability of the motor cortex in women with premenstrual syndromeMark J Smith
National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, NIH, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
Biol Psychiatry 54:757-62. 2003b>Premenstrual syndrome (PMS) involves an aberrant behavioral response to normal hormone secretion...
- Premenstrual Syndrome in Turkish college students and its effects on life qualityGul Pinar
Baskent University, Turkey
Sex Reprod Healthc 2:21-7. 2011The purpose of this research is to analyze the frequency of Premenstrual Syndrome (PMS) in college students, the factors affecting Premenstrual Syndrome and the effect of Premenstrual Syndrome on life quality.
- Influence of phase-related variability in premenstrual symptomatology, mood, smoking withdrawal, and smoking behavior during ad libitum smoking, on smoking cessation outcomeSharon S Allen
Tobacco Use Research Center, University of Minnesota, Medical School, 2701 University Avenue SE, Suite 201, Minneapolis, MN 55414, United States
Addict Behav 34:107-11. 2009..These data support the inference that sex hormones influence smoking cessation outcome. This knowledge may contribute to the development of more rational and effective smoking cessation interventions for women...
- Late, but not early, wake therapy reduces morning plasma melatonin: relationship to mood in Premenstrual Dysphoric DisorderBarbara L Parry
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093 0804, United States
Psychiatry Res 161:76-86. 2008....
- A controlled trial of Chinese herbal medicine for premenstrual syndromePatsy B Chou
School of Biomedical and Clinical Sciences, Victoria University, Australia
J Psychosom Obstet Gynaecol 29:185-92. 2008b>Premenstrual syndrome (PMS) is a common disorder troubling many women during their reproductive years. The Chinese have been using herbal medicines to treat menstrual cycle related symptoms for centuries...
- Facial emotion discrimination across the menstrual cycle in women with premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD) and controlsDavid R Rubinow
Behavioral Endocrinology Branch, National Institute of Mental Health, Bethesda MD 20892 1276, United States
J Affect Disord 104:37-44. 2007..e., state dependent)...
- Prevalence, incidence and stability of premenstrual dysphoric disorder in the communityH U Wittchen
Technical University of Dresden, Institute of Clinical Psychology and Psychotherapy, Germany
Psychol Med 32:119-32. 2002....
- Managing migraine headaches experienced by patients who self-report with menstrually related migraine: a prospective, placebo-controlled study with oral sumatriptanAndrew J Dowson
The King s Headache Service, King s College Hospital, Denmark Hill, London SE5 9RS, UK
J Headache Pain 6:81-7. 2005..007) and outside (79% vs. 31%, p<0.001) the menstrual period. Sumatriptan was generally well tolerated. Oral sumatriptan (100 mg) is an effective and well tolerated acute treatment for patients who report menstrually related migraine...
- Salivary cortisol in women with and without perimenstrual mood changesJ Odber
Department of Psychiatry, University of Edinburgh, Royal Edinburgh Hospital, UK
J Psychosom Res 45:557-68. 1998..Premenstrual depression may, therefore, be similar neurologically to seasonal affective disorder, which is associated with underactivity of the HPA axis...
- Changes in mood, cognitive performance and appetite in the late luteal and follicular phases of the menstrual cycle in women with and without PMDD (premenstrual dysphoric disorder)Stephanie Collins Reed
New York State Psychiatric Institute and Department of Psychiatry, College of Physicians and Surgeons of Columbia University, 1051 Riverside Drive, Unit 120, New York, NY 10032, USA
Horm Behav 54:185-93. 2008..An altered serotonergic system in women with PMDD may be the underlying mechanism for the observed symptoms; correspondingly, treatment with specific serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) remains the preferred treatment at this time...
- Epidemiology of depression throughout the female life cycleVivien K Burt
University of California School of Medicine, Los Angeles, USA
J Clin Psychiatry 63:9-15. 2002..Prophylaxis and treatment to minimize severity in cases of recurrence are discussed in the article, using reproductive transitional events as markers...
- Premenstrual syndrome and premenstrual dysphoric disorder: quality of life and burden of illnessAndrea J Rapkin
Professor of Obstetrics and Gynecology, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Expert Rev Pharmacoecon Outcomes Res 9:157-70. 2009..Typical symptoms of premenstrual syndrome and the severe form, premenstrual dysphoric disorder, include irritability, anger, mood swings, depression,..
- The premenstrual symptoms screening tool (PSST) for cliniciansM Steiner
McMaster University, Women s Health Concerns Clinic, St Joseph s Healthcare Hamilton, ON, Canada
Arch Womens Ment Health 6:203-9. 2003..DSM-IV criteria for premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD) and to understand clinically significant premenstrual syndrome (PMS)...
- Crocus sativus L. (saffron) in the treatment of premenstrual syndrome: a double-blind, randomised and placebo-controlled trialM Agha-Hosseini
Infertility Center of Dr Shariati Hospital, Vali Asr Reproductive Health Research Center, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
BJOG 115:515-9. 2008The aim of this double-blind and placebo-controlled trial was to investigate whether saffron (stigma of Crocus sativus L.) could relieve symptoms of premenstrual syndrome (PMS).
- Efficacy of progesterone and progestogens in management of premenstrual syndrome: systematic reviewK Wyatt
Academic Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Keele University and North Staffordshire Hospital, Stoke-on-Trent ST4 6QG
BMJ 323:776-80. 2001OBJECTIVE: To evaluate the efficacy of progesterone and progestogens in the management of premenstrual syndrome. DESIGN: Systematic review of published randomised, placebo controlled trials...
- Luteal-phase accentuation of acoustic startle response in women with premenstrual dysphoric disorderCynthia Neill Epperson
Department of Psychiatry, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT 06511, USA
Neuropsychopharmacology 32:2190-8. 2007..Physiologic response to affective stimuli appears to be intact in women with PMDD across the menstrual cycle...
- Sleep quality and the sleep electroencephalogram in women with severe premenstrual syndromeFiona C Baker
Human Sleep Research Program, SRI International, Menlo Park, CA 94043, USA
Sleep 30:1283-91. 2007Women with severe premenstrual syndrome (PMS) or premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD) commonly report sleep disturbances, but the few studies using conventional polysomnographic measures have produced conflicting results...
- Longitudinal population-based twin study of retrospectively reported premenstrual symptoms and lifetime major depressionK S Kendler
Department of Psychiatry, Medical College of Virginia, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond 23298 0126, USA
Am J Psychiatry 155:1234-40. 1998..In addition, we know little about the relationship of the familial risk factors for premenstrual symptoms and major depression...
- Prevalence of premenstrual syndrome and premenstrual dysphoric disorder in Japanese womenT Takeda
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Osaka University Graduate School of Medicine, Japan
Arch Womens Ment Health 9:209-12. 2006..The results of this study suggest that race and ethnicity influence the expression of premenstrual symptoms and that the current state of medical care for Japanese women with moderate to severe PMS and PMDD is not satisfactory...
- Calcium supplementation in premenstrual syndrome: a randomized crossover trialS Thys-Jacobs
Department of Medicine, Metropolitan Hospital, New York Medical College, New York
J Gen Intern Med 4:183-9. 1989OBJECTIVE: To determine the efficacy of calcium supplementation in women with premenstrual syndrome (PMS). DESIGN: Randomized, double-blind crossover trial. SETTING: Outpatient medical clinic of a large city hospital...
- Cognitive-behavioral and pharmacological interventions for premenstrual syndrome or premenstrual dysphoric disorder: a meta-analysisMaria Kleinstäuber
Department of Clinical Psychology and Psychotherapy, Johannes Gutenberg University of Mainz, Wallstr 3, 55122 Mainz, Germany
J Clin Psychol Med Settings 19:308-19. 2012..meta-analysis investigates the efficacy of psychotherapeutic interventions and psychopharmacotherapy for premenstrual syndrome (PMS) and premenstrual dysphoric disorder...
- Therapeutic effect of Vitex agnus castus in patients with premenstrual syndromeMehrangiz Zamani
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Hamedan University of Medical Sciences, Iran
Acta Med Iran 50:101-6. 2012Medical therapies have been widely used for premenstrual syndrome (PMS), but in all of them side effects are predominant. Herbal remedies rarely have side effects and people have more tendencies toward them than chemical therapies...
- Clinical subtypes of premenstrual syndrome and responses to sertraline treatmentEllen W Freeman
Department of Obstetrics Gynecology, the Center for Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Perelman School of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
Obstet Gynecol 118:1293-300. 2011..To estimate response of diagnosis and symptom-based subtypes to sertraline treatment...
- Using acupuncture to treat premenstrual syndromeD Habek
Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics, Health Centre, Bjelovar, Croatia
Arch Gynecol Obstet 267:23-6. 2002More than 60% of the women in both groups suffered from premenstrual syndrome (PMS) symptoms, such as anxiety, mastalgia, insomnia, nausea and gastrointestinal disorders, whereas a smaller number of women suffered from phobic disorders, ..
- A pilot study to compare fluoxetine, calcium, and placebo in the treatment of premenstrual syndromeKimberly Ann Yonkers
Department of Psychiatry, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT, USA
J Clin Psychopharmacol 33:614-20. 2013Serotonin reuptake inhibitors and calcium supplements ameliorate symptoms of premenstrual syndrome. A comparison of these agents to placebo may guide treatment selection...
- The premenstrual syndrome revisitedDaniel M Campagne
Department of Personality, Evaluation and Psychological Treatment, Faculty of Psychology, UNED University, Madrid, Spain
Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol 130:4-17. 2007..the clinical entity that in a large number of cases results from these symptoms, commonly known as the premenstrual syndrome, still lacks defined and validated contents so that recommendations of treatments backed by adequate ..
- Efficacy of acupuncture in management of premenstrual syndrome: a systematic reviewSeung Hun Cho
Hospital of Korean Medicine, Kyung Hee University Medical Center, Kyung Hee University, 1 Hoegi dong, Dongdaemun Gu, Seoul, Republic of Korea
Complement Ther Med 18:104-11. 2010The effectiveness of acupuncture in the case of premenstrual syndrome (PMS) is not fully understood.
- Treatment of premenstrual syndrome: a decision-making algorithmNick Panay
Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust and Chelsea and Westminster Hospitals, London, UK
Menopause Int 18:90-2. 2012..The discussion will highlight management principles rather than evidence per se. It uses as its basis an updated version of the treatment algorithm published by the RCOG in its Green Top Guideline no. 48 on the management of PMS...
- Evaluation of the effects of Neptune Krill Oil on the management of premenstrual syndrome and dysmenorrheaFotini Sampalis
Department of Experimental Surgery, University of Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Altern Med Rev 8:171-9. 2003To evaluate the effectiveness of Neptune Krill Oil (NKO) for the management of premenstrual syndrome and dysmenorrhea.
- The diagnosis of premenstrual syndromes and premenstrual dysphoric disorder--clinical procedures and research perspectivesU Halbreich
Biobehavioral Program, State University of New York at Buffalo, Buffalo, New York 14214 3016, USA
Gynecol Endocrinol 19:320-34. 2004..The gaps of knowledge in the description and diagnosis of PMS are described, with suggestions for future directions for research...
- Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors for premenstrual syndromeJane Marjoribanks
Obstetrics and Gynaecology, University of Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
Cochrane Database Syst Rev 6:CD001396. 2013b>Premenstrual syndrome (PMS) is a common cause of physical, psychological and social problems in women of reproductive age...
- Evaluation of the effect of omega-3 fatty acids in the treatment of premenstrual syndrome: "a pilot trial"Nahid Sohrabi
Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Akberabadi, Teaching Hospital, Tehran, Iran
Complement Ther Med 21:141-6. 2013b>Premenstrual syndrome (PMS) refers to a cyclic appearance of somatic and psychiatric symptoms that affect some women...
- Bipolar disorder and Premenstrual Syndrome or Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder comorbidity: a systematic reviewPatricia Carvalho Cirillo
Laboratory of Panic and Respiration, Institute of Psychiatry, Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Rev Bras Psiquiatr 34:467-79. 2012This article aims to review the comorbidity of premenstrual syndrome (PMS) or premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD) and bipolar disorder (BD), identify variables requiring further investigation and to remind physicians that special care ..
- Insulin sensitivity, food intake, and cravings with premenstrual syndrome: a pilot studyKimberly K Trout
University of Pennsylvania School of Nursing, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
J Womens Health (Larchmt) 17:657-65. 2008The objective of this pilot study was to evaluate possible differences in insulin sensitivity, food intake, and cravings between the follicular and luteal phases of the menstrual cycle in women with premenstrual syndrome (PMS).
- Use of complementary therapies by women attending a specialist premenstrual syndrome clinicC L Domoney
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Chelsea and Westminster Hospital, London, UK
Gynecol Endocrinol 17:13-8. 2003In this study, we investigate the use of complementary therapies by women attending a specialist premenstrual syndrome (PMS) clinic in the UK. Data was collected via an anonymous questionnaire survey of 100 women attending the clinic...
- Premenstrual syndrome, premenstrual dysphoric disorder, and beyond: a clinical primer for practitionersSusan R Johnson
Roy J and Lucille A Carver College of Medicine, 2130E Med labs, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
Obstet Gynecol 104:845-59. 2004..described in detail, including a discussion of the distinction between premenstrual dysphoric disorder and premenstrual syndrome (PMS)...
- Factors associated with premenstrual syndrome - a survey of new female university studentsShu Hui Cheng
Office of Student Affairs, National Cheng Kung University, Tainan, Taiwan
Kaohsiung J Med Sci 29:100-5. 2013b>Premenstrual syndrome (PMS) can impact an individual's interpersonal relationships, social interactions, productivity, lifestyle, school performance and emotional well-being...
- Estimating direct and indirect costs of premenstrual syndromeJeff Borenstein
Department of Medicine, Cedars Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles, California, USA
J Occup Environ Med 47:26-33. 2005To quantify the economic impact of premenstrual syndrome (PMS) on the employer.
- Characteristics of women seeking treatment for premenstrual syndrome in TaiwanMei Chun Hsiao
Department of Psychiatry, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital and Chang Gung University School of Medicine, Tao Yuan, Taiwan
Acta Psychiatr Scand 106:150-5. 2002To analyze the characteristics of 150 women who visited a premenstrual syndrome (PMS) clinic in a Taiwanese medical center staffed by both psychiatrists and gynecologists.
- The phenomenology of premenstrual syndrome in female medical students: a cross sectional studyMagdy Hassan Balaha
Department Obstetrics and Gynecology, College of Medicine in Al Ahsa, King Faisal University, Saudi Arabia
Pan Afr Med J 5:4. 2010The premenstrual syndrome (PMS) is particularly common in the younger age groups and, therefore represents a significant public health problem in young girls...
- Steroid hormone hypersensitivity: clinical presentation and managementAlek M Itsekson
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Sheba Medical Center, Tel Hashomer, Israel
Fertil Steril 95:2571-3. 2011..The condition has many manifestations, including premenstrual syndrome, dysmenorrhea, and impaired fertility...
- Recurrent brief depression and personality traits in allergy, anxiety and premenstrual syndrome patients: a general practice surveyW Robert Williams
School of Care Sciences, University of Glamorgan, South Glamorgan, UK
Med Sci Monit 13:CR118-24. 2007..Some problems associated with the diagnosis and treatment of RBD may be improved if patients are easier to identify. This study investigates the distribution of RBD and personality types within three common syndromes...
- Dietary B vitamin intake and incident premenstrual syndromePatricia O Chocano-Bedoya
Department of Public Health, School of Public Health and Health Sciences, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, MA 01003 9304, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 93:1080-6. 2011Thiamine, riboflavin, niacin, vitamin B-6, folate, and vitamin B-12 are required to synthesize neurotransmitters that are potentially involved in the pathophysiology of premenstrual syndrome (PMS).
- The Premenstrual Symptoms Screening Tool revised for adolescents (PSST-A): prevalence of severe PMS and premenstrual dysphoric disorder in adolescentsMeir Steiner
Women s Health Concerns Clinic, St Joseph s Healthcare Hamilton, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Arch Womens Ment Health 14:77-81. 2011..Severe PMS and PMDD present with similar rates and symptoms in adolescents as in adults, and the Premenstrual Symptoms Screening Tool modified for adolescents is a fast, reliable tool to screen for these syndromes in adolescents...
- Changes in nutrient intake during the menstrual cycle of overweight women with premenstrual syndromeG B Cross
Department of General Practice, University of Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
Br J Nutr 85:475-82. 2001This study presents the nutrient data collected from women who were being screened for premenstrual syndrome (PMS) for entry into an intervention study. Screening was by the Steiner self-rated questionnaire...
- Nocturnal polysomnographic sleep across the menstrual cycle in premenstrual dysphoric disorderAri Shechter
Centre for Study and Treatment of Circadian Rhythms, Douglas Mental Health University Institute, Department of Psychiatry, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Sleep Med 13:1071-8. 2012..In this study we aimed to investigate nocturnal polysomnographic (PSG) sleep across the menstrual cycle in PMDD women and controls...
- Diet and sex-hormone binding globulin, dysmenorrhea, and premenstrual symptomsN D Barnard
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Georgetown University School of Medicine, Washington, DC, USA
Obstet Gynecol 95:245-50. 2000..To test the hypothesis that a low-fat, vegetarian diet reduces dysmenorrhea and premenstrual symptoms by its effect on serum sex-hormone binding globulin concentration and estrogen activity...
- Premenstrual syndromesM Steiner
St Joseph s Hospital, McMaster Psychiatric Unit, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Annu Rev Med 48:447-55. 1997..Premenstrual dysphoric disorder can be differentiated from premenstrual syndrome, which is primarily reserved for milder physical symptoms and minor mood changes...
- Premenstrual dysphoric disorder among medical students of a Nigerian universityBaba A Issa
Department of Behavioural Sciences, College of Health Sciences, University of Ilorin, Nigeria
Ann Afr Med 9:118-22. 2010..PMDD is the severest form of premenstrual symptoms and is associated with impairment of social and role functioning...
- Evaluation of the estrogenic activity of the constituents in the fruits of Vitex rotundifolia L. for the potential treatment of premenstrual syndromeYuan Hu
Department of Pharmacognosy, School of Pharmacy, Second Military Medical University, 325 Guohe Road, Shanghai 200433, China
J Pharm Pharmacol 59:1307-12. 2007..However, further studies are required to assess the physiological significance of VRE in animals and man...
- The effect of premenstrual symptoms on activities of daily lifeLorraine Dennerstein
Department of Psychiatry, The University of Melbourne, Parkville, Victoria, Australia
Fertil Steril 94:1059-64. 2010..To assess impact of premenstrual symptoms on activities of women's daily lives (ADL)...
- [Psychiatric and psychological aspects of premenstrual syndrome]F Limosin
Service de Psychiatrie du Professeur Rouillon, , 40, rue de Mesly,
Encephale 27:501-8. 2001Numerous, but heterogeneous studies have been performed about premenstrual syndrome, with finally a lack of credibility and interest among practitioners...
- Premenstrual and menstrual symptomatology in young adult Japanese females who smoke tobaccoHIROKO SAKAI
Division of Health Sciences, Osaka University Graduate School of Medicine, Osaka, Japan
J Obstet Gynaecol Res 37:325-30. 2011..The present study examines the correlation between premenstrual and menstrual symptomatology and smoking status in young adult Japanese females...
- A comparison of the prevalence of premenstrual dysphoric disorder and comorbidities among adolescents in the United States of America and NigeriaOri Ogebe
Akron Children s Hospital, Akron, OH, USA
J Pediatr Adolesc Gynecol 24:397-403. 2011..The specific aims of this study were to (1) describe the prevalence of PMDD in adolescents presenting to clinics in the midwestern United States and 2 Nigerian cities, (2) identify cultural differences, and (3) screen for comorbidities...
- Premenstrual syndrome in adolescents: diagnosis and treatmentAndrea J Rapkin
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Pediatr Endocrinol Rev 3:132-7. 2006..of menstruating women experience some degree of premenstrual symptomatology; however the diagnosis of premenstrual syndrome (PMS) or premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD) is assigned, using defined criteria, to those women whose ..
- Brain-derived neurotrophic factor plasma variation during the different phases of the menstrual cycle in women with premenstrual syndromeAlessandra Cubeddu
Department of Reproductive Medicine and Child Development, Division of Gynaecology and Obstetrics, University of Pisa, Pisa, Italy
Psychoneuroendocrinology 36:523-30. 2011b>Premenstrual syndrome (PMS) is characterized by a cluster of psychological and somatic symptoms that begin during the late luteal phase of the menstrual cycle and disappear after the onset of menses...
- Essential fatty acids for premenstrual syndrome and their effect on prolactin and total cholesterol levels: a randomized, double blind, placebo-controlled studyEdilberto A Rocha Filho
Department of Maternal and Child Healthcare, School of Medicine, Federal University of Pernambuco, Recife, Pernambuco, Brazil
Reprod Health 8:2. 2011To evaluate the effectiveness and safety of polyunsaturated fatty acids for the treatment of the premenstrual syndrome (PMS) using a graded symptom scale and to assess the effect of this treatment on basal plasma levels of prolactin and ..
- Premenstrual syndrome (PMS) in adolescents: severity and impairmentMichelle Vichnin
Departments of Obstetrics Gynecology, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
J Pediatr Adolesc Gynecol 19:397-402. 2006Identify the presence of patients with premenstrual syndrome (PMS) in an adolescent gynecology practice, and evaluate the reported severity, impairment and timing of the symptoms in the menstrual cycle.
- Premenstrual syndrome and associated symptoms in adolescent girlsOrhan Derman
Section of Adolescent Medicine, Department of Pediatrics, Ihsan Dogramaci Childrens Hospital, Hacettepe University School of Medicine, 06100 Ankara, Turkey
Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol 116:201-6. 2004To investigate the frequency of premenstrual syndrome (PMS) associated symptoms and effects of nutrition on PMS in adolescent girls.
- Premenstrual syndrome and premenstrual dysphoric disorder in adolescentsAndrea J Rapkin
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, Los Angeles, California 90095 1740, USA
Curr Opin Obstet Gynecol 20:455-63. 2008..To review the current knowledge about the prevalence, diagnosis, and management of premenstrual syndromes in adolescents...
- Global study of women's experiences of premenstrual symptoms and their effects on daily lifeLorraine Dennerstein
Department of Psychiatry, National Aging Research Institute, The University of Melbourne, Parkville, VIC 3010, Australia
Menopause Int 17:88-95. 2011..To determine cross-cultural and other effects on women's experiences of premenstrual symptoms and their impact on activities of daily life (ADL)...
- Premenstrual syndrome and premenstrual dysphoric disorderWendy S Biggs
American Academy of Family Physicians, Leawood, KS 66211, USA
Am Fam Physician 84:918-24. 2011b>Premenstrual syndrome is defined as recurrent moderate psychological and physical symptoms that occur during the luteal phase of menses and resolve with menstruation. It affects 20 to 32 percent of premenopausal women...
- Reliability and validity of a daily diary for premenstrual syndromeE W Freeman
Department of Psychiatry, University of Pennsylvania Medical Center, Philadelphia 19104 4283, USA
Psychiatry Res 65:97-106. 1996Daily ratings of symptoms are essential to confirm a diagnosis of premenstrual syndrome (PMS). The 17-item Daily Symptom Report (DSR) is relatively brief and appropriate for clinical and primary care settings...
- The measurement of premenstrual mood symptomsM Steiner
Department of Psychiatry, St Joseph s Hospital, McMaster University, Hamilton, ON, Canada
J Affect Disord 53:269-73. 1999....
- Cyclical changes in calcium metabolism across the menstrual cycle in women with premenstrual dysphoric disorderSUSAN THYS-JACOBS
St Luke s Roosevelt Hospital Center, Columbia University, New York, New York 10019, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 92:2952-9. 2007..Recently, it has been suggested that abnormalities in calcium metabolism may be responsible for some affective and somatic symptoms in women with premenstrual syndrome.
- Attitudes toward menstruation, menstrual-related symptoms, and premenstrual syndrome among adolescent girls: a rural school-based surveyLi Ping Wong
Department of Social and Preventive Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Malaya, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Women Health 51:340-64. 2011..Given that menstrual-related information was widely available from mothers, family, and social culture are potentially important in shaping good menstrual attitudes...
- Effects of calcium supplement therapy in women with premenstrual syndromeZinat Ghanbari
Valiasr Reproductive Health Research Center, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Taiwan J Obstet Gynecol 48:124-9. 2009..suggests that cyclic fluctuations in a variety of nutrients, especially calcium, may help to explain some features of premenstrual syndrome (PMS). We determined the efficacy of calcium supplementation in women suffering from PMS.
- Premenstrual syndrome, premenstrual dysphoric disorder, and premenstrual exacerbation of another disorderDiana L Dell
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Health and Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina, USA
Clin Obstet Gynecol 47:568-75. 2004
- A simple method of assessing premenstrual syndrome in large prospective studiesElizabeth R Bertone-Johnson
Department of Public Health, School of Public Health and Health Sciences, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, MA 01003 9304, USA
J Reprod Med 52:779-86. 2007To evaluate a simple method of assessing incident premenstrual syndrome (PMS) in large prospective studies.
- Asian study of effects of premenstrual symptoms on activities of daily lifeLorraine Dennerstein
Department of Psychiatry, National Aging Research Institute, The University of Melbourne, Parkville, Victoria 3010, Australia
Menopause Int 16:146-51. 2010..The aim of this paper is to assess the effects of premenstrual symptoms on quality of life as measured by the impact symptoms have on women's activities of daily life (ADL)...
- [SIPS--screening instrument for premenstrual symptoms. The German version of Premenstrual Symptoms Screening Tool to assess clinically relevant disturbances]D Bentz
Abteilung für Klinische Psychologie und Psychotherapie, Fakultat fur Psychologie, Universitat Basel, Birmannsgasse 8, 4055, Basel, Schweiz
Nervenarzt 83:33-9. 2012Premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD) and severe premenstrual syndrome (PMS) are common, yet often remain unrecognized and not adequately treated. One reason for this is the lack of a valid German screening instrument...
- Fluctuating serotonergic function in premenstrual dysphoric disorder and premenstrual syndrome: findings from neuroendocrine challenge testsY Inoue
Department of Psychiatry, University of Occupational and Environmental Health, Kitakyushu, Japan
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 190:213-9. 2007Premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD) has been assumed to be a subtype of premenstrual syndrome (PMS) with depressive symptoms, such as depressive mood, tension, anxiety, and mood liability during luteal phase...
- Interpreting Premenstrual Symptoms Impact Survey scores using outcomes in health-related quality of life and sexual drive impactMin Yang
QualityMetric Inc, 24 Albion Road, Building 400, Lincoln, Rhode Island 02865, USA
J Reprod Med 55:41-8. 2010To link the Premenstrual Symptoms Impact Survey (PMSIS) scores to health-related quality of life (HRQOL) and sexual drive impact associated with premenstrual syndrome (PMS) and premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD).
- A population-based survey of Asian women's experience of premenstrual symptomsLorraine Dennerstein
Department of Psychiatry, National Aging Research Institute, The University of Melbourne, Parkville, Victoria 3010, Australia
Menopause Int 16:139-45. 2010..This paper aims to explore women's experiences of premenstrual symptoms in three Asian countries and the factors affecting the prevalence of these symptoms...
- Premenstrual syndrome: the experience from a sample of Sri Lankan adolescentsNadeeka K Chandraratne
Public Health Department, Colombo Municipal Council, Sri Lanka
J Pediatr Adolesc Gynecol 24:304-10. 2011..Government schools of Colombo...
- Chronobiological basis of female-specific mood disordersB L Parry
Department of Psychiatry, University of California San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093 0804, USA
Neuropsychopharmacology 25:S102-8. 2001....
- Hormonal and volume dysregulation in women with premenstrual syndromeRimma Rosenfeld
J Recanati Autonomic Dysfunction Center, Medicine, Department of Obstetric and Gynecology, Rambam Medical Center and Faculty of Medicine, Technion IIT, Haifa, Israel
Hypertension 51:1225-30. 2008b>Premenstrual syndrome (PMS) presents with emotional and physical symptoms. Although the emotional symptoms have been extensively studied, the pathophysiology of the fluid-retention symptoms is not currently known...
- Low-dose sertraline in the treatment of moderate-to-severe premenstrual syndrome: efficacy of 3 dosing strategiesSusan G Kornstein
Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine, Richmond 23298 0710, USA
J Clin Psychiatry 67:1624-32. 2006..dysphoric disorder, but few studies have investigated the efficacy of SSRIs in the treatment of premenstrual syndrome (PMS)...
- The effect of a low dose of alcohol on allopregnanolone serum concentrations across the menstrual cycle in women with severe premenstrual syndrome and controlsSigrid Nyberg
Department of Clinical Science, Obstetrics and Gynecology, University Hospital of Umea, Umea University, Sweden
Psychoneuroendocrinology 30:892-901. 2005..The primary aim of this study was to investigate possible alcohol-induced changes in allopregnanolone serum concentrations across different menstrual cycle phases in women with severe premenstrual syndrome (PMS) and controls.
- A prospective assessment investigating the relationship between work productivity and impairment with premenstrual syndromeBonnie B Dean
Cerner Health Insights, Beverly Hills, California, USA
J Occup Environ Med 46:649-56. 2004Our objective was to assess life domain and work-related impairment in patients experiencing premenstrual syndrome (PMS)...
- The etiology, biology, and evolving pathology of premenstrual syndromesUriel Halbreich
Biobehavioral Program, School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, Buffalo, NY 14214 3016, USA
Psychoneuroendocrinology 28:55-99. 2003....
- The prevalence, impairment, impact, and burden of premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMS/PMDD)Uriel Halbreich
Department of Psychiatry, State University of New York at Buffalo, Buffalo, NY, USA
Psychoneuroendocrinology 28:1-23. 2003..Appropriate recognition of the disorder and its impact should lead to treatment of more women with PMS/PMDD. Efficacious treatments are available. They should reduce individual suffering and impact on family, society, and economy...
- Premenstrual syndrome and premenstrual dysphoric disorder: definitions and diagnosisEllen W Freeman
Department of Obstetrics Gynecology, Mudd Suite, 3701 Market Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104 5509, USA
Psychoneuroendocrinology 28:25-37. 2003..Diagnostic criteria for PMS must recognize the broad range of symptoms, the temporal pattern of the symptoms and the critical issue of symptom severity, which differentiates clinically significant PMS from normal menstrual cycle changes...
- Hormonal management of premenstrual syndromeSa adatu Bose Usman
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, University Hospital of North Staffordshire, Stoke on Trent ST4 6QG, UK
Best Pract Res Clin Obstet Gynaecol 22:251-60. 2008b>Premenstrual syndrome (PMS) is a psychological and somatic disorder of unknown aetiology. The symptoms of PMS regularly occur during the luteal phase of the menstrual cycle and resolve by the end of menstruation...
- Differential menstrual cycle regulation of hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis in women with premenstrual syndrome and controlsCatherine A Roca
Behavioral Endocrinology, National Institute of Mental Health, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 88:3057-63. 2003..in HPA axis regulation in humans is of importance when attempting to understand the pathophysiology of premenstrual syndrome (PMS), a disorder characterized by affective symptoms during the luteal phase of the menstrual cycle...
- Allopregnanolone levels and symptom improvement in severe premenstrual syndromeEllen W Freeman
Department of Obstetrics Gynecology, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia 19104, USA
J Clin Psychopharmacol 22:516-20. 2002..levels with improvement of mood and behavioral symptoms following antidepressant treatment for severe premenstrual syndrome. A second exploratory aim was to determine whether allopregnanolone levels differed between antidepressant ..
- Prevalence and predictors of premenstrual syndrome and premenstrual dysphoric disorder in a population-based sampleSibil Tschudin
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, University Hospital, Basel, Switzerland
Arch Womens Ment Health 13:485-94. 2010The study aimed at assessing the prevalence of premenstrual symptoms and of premenstrual syndrome (PMS) and premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD) in a population-based sample of women of the entire reproductive age range, as well as to ..
- Characteristics of placebo responses in medical treatment of premenstrual syndromeE W Freeman
Department of Obstetrics Gynecology, University of Pennsylvania Medical Center, Philadelphia 19104, USA
Am J Psychiatry 156:1403-8. 1999This study characterizes the responses to placebo medication of patients with premenstrual syndrome (PMS) who were randomly assigned in controlled treatment trials. Possible predictors of placebo response were also examined.
- Menstrual migraine: clinical and therapeutical aspectsGianni Allais
University of Turin, Women s Headache Center, Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics, Via Ventimiglia 3, I 10126 Turin, Italy
Expert Rev Neurother 7:1105-20. 2007..Hormone manipulations, mainly application of percutaneous estradiol gel in PMP or administration of oral contraceptives in extended cycles, constitute an alternative approach for nonresponders...
- PHYSIOLOGY OF CALCIUM APPETITEMichael G Tordoff; Fiscal Year: 2013..S. population including osteoporosis, hypertension, obesity, and premenstrual syndrome. But despite many recommendations to increase calcium intake there has been almost no research to ..
- Premenstrual syndrome and risk of subsequent hypertensionElizabeth R Bertone-Johnson; Fiscal Year: 2013..Up to 20% of premenopausal women meet clinical criteria for premenstrual syndrome (PMS), a disorder characterized by moderate to severe luteal phase symptoms that substantially interfere ..
- Novel actions of neurosteroids on GABA (A) receptor traffickingStephen J Moss; Fiscal Year: 2013..are accepted to play a critical role in epilepsy, and are also relevant to autism, anxiety, depression, premenstrual syndrome and schizophrenia...
- Neurosteroid Modulation of Extrasynaptic GABAA ReceptorsEYDITH JANICE COMENENCIA ORTIZ; Fiscal Year: 2012..in alterations in neuronal excitability and are implicated in syndromes such as postpartum depression and premenstrual syndrome. The studies in this application will provide insight into neurosteroid-mediated alterations in neuronal ..
- Neural Substrates of Emotion Regulation in Premenstrual Dysphoric DisorderAndrea J Rapkin; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD), a severe variant of premenstrual syndrome, affects 2-5% of women in their reproductive years, with decreases in quality of life comparable to those observed in ..
- Time Course and Potentiation of Fluoxetin ActionGeorge Battaglia; Fiscal Year: 2004..These disorders include anxiety, obsessive compulsive disorder, aggression, eating disorders and premenstrual syndrome. However, a lag time of about 2-3 weeks exists from the onset of medication until the first signs of ..
- EPIDEMIOLOGY OF PHYSICAL ACTIVITY AND OVARIAN FUNCTIONBarbara Sternfeld; Fiscal Year: 2001..Finally, a case-control study of diet and premenstrual syndrome with 102 cases and 102 matched controls conducted at the Northern California Kasier Permanente Medical ..
- Molecular mechanisms of Angelica sinensis (Oliv.) Diels in women?s healthZaijie Jim Wang; Fiscal Year: 2010A large segment of the female population is affected by premenstrual syndrome (PMS) and menopausal symptoms. Limited medical treatments are available, some with severe adverse effects...
- CHRONOBIOLOGY OF PREMENSTRUAL SYNDROMEBarbara Parry; Fiscal Year: 1993b>Premenstrual Syndrome (PMS) may have unique physiological underpinnings which make it of considerable interest to biological psychiatry...
- Effect of Vitex on stress induced luteal phase defectsDorena Rode; Fiscal Year: 2003..stress results in an elevation of prolactin and elevated prolactin is associated with some cases of premenstrual syndrome, corpus luteum insufficiency, and infertility...
- EXTRAADRENAL MINERALOCORTICOSTEROID FORMATION-METABOLISMM Casey; Fiscal Year: 1992..In particular, we ask whether there is a role for extraadrenal DOC in the pathogenesis of the premenstrual syndrome.
- Molecular mechanisms of Vitex agnus-castus L. in PMSZaijie Jim Wang; Fiscal Year: 2005Vitex agnus-castus L. (VAC) fruit extracts have been used since ancient times for the relief of premenstrual syndrome (PMS)...
- Menstrual Cycle and Insulin Sensitivity in DiabeticsKimberly Trout; Fiscal Year: 2004..Some studies suggest that premenstrual syndrome (PMS) may exacerbate menstrual cycle changes in insulin sensitivity...
- OVARIAN FUNCTION, ACTH REGULATION & THE STRESS RESPONSEEva Redei; Fiscal Year: 1992..g. premenstrual syndrome)...
- EPIDEMIOLOGIC STUDY OF THE LATE REPRODUCTIVE YEARSEllen W Freeman; Fiscal Year: 2010..abstract_text> ..
- CAREER DEVELOPMENT IN WOMEN'S HEALTH RESEARCH AND GENDE*Ellen Freeman; Fiscal Year: 2006..The BIRCWH program will track the career trajectories of Scholars and will continue to serve as a resource in terms of career counseling and research advice. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Core symptoms and profiles in premenstrual syndromeEllen Freeman; Fiscal Year: 2008..Further information will contribute to improved health care for women in their reproductive years. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- ACTILLUME - A MONITOR FOR ACTIVITY AND LIGHT EXPOSUREWilliam Gruen; Fiscal Year: 1991..II will produce an Actillume system for studies of sleep disorders patients, affective disorders, elderly, premenstrual syndrome, shift work, jet lag, the chronically ill, etc. Enthusiasm for the device indicates a substantial market...
- Predictors of Alcohol Drinking in College-aged WomenBRIDGET LEONHARDT; Fiscal Year: 2003..symptoms have also been associated with increased PD risk, which has generated interest in the study of premenstrual syndrome (PMS) and quantity/frequency of alcohol use...
- PROCYCLE: ELECTRONIC CALENDAR DATA COLLECTION DEVICERANDI TRIANT; Fiscal Year: 2000..and customized for two specific marketable applications - (1) fertility awareness, and (2) diagnosis of premenstrual syndrome. Features will include (1) detailed daily symptom lists and algorithms to capture clinical fertility ..
- Environmental Risk Factors and Canine Malignant LymphomaElizabeth Bertone Johnson; Fiscal Year: 2005..Because dogs and their human owners share a common environment within the household, results from this study will have direct relevance to the on-going effort to identify factors that may increase risk of human NHL. ..
- Psychosocial Res. to Improve Drug Treatment in PregnancyKimberly Yonkers; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Effects of Perinatal Depression on PTD and LBWKimberly Yonkers; Fiscal Year: 2008..Further, if we determine antidepressants increase the risk of adverse perinatal outcomes, treatment with psychotherapy rather than antidepressants should be considered when recommending therapeutic options. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- ANXIETY, DISINHIBITION, AND RISK FOR DRUG ABUSEKimberly Yonkers; Fiscal Year: 2003..phenotypic indices of vulnerability using combinations of clinical and psychophysiological measures. ..
- DETECTION AND TREATMENT OF POSTPARTUM DEPRESSIONKimberly Yonkers; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- Treating PMS/PMDD--Research versus Clinical RealityKimberly Yonkers; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- Biological Rhythms in Postpartum DepressionBarbara Parry; Fiscal Year: 2009..This study would serve as the basis of future studies in which treatments designed to correct these underlying abnormalities in circadian rhythms, and restore them to those of NC women, thereby would improve mood in DP. ..
- Probing Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder with LightBarbara Parry; Fiscal Year: 2007..These investigations will provide further insight into the pathophysiology of PMDD and other depressive disorders in women, and serve as a basis for refining light treatment interventions in the future. ..
- Risk and Predictors of Postpartum DepressionLee Cohen; Fiscal Year: 2007..AItshuler, Dr. Hendrick), and the Emory Women's Mental Health Program at Emory University School of Medicine (Dr. Stowe). [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- RELAPSE AND PREDICTORS OF DEPRESSION IN PREGNANCYLee Cohen; Fiscal Year: 2003..Delineating of these subgroups provides an opportunity to screen for women "at risk" for relapse and allows for thoughtful treatment plan. ..
- Stress Responses, Psychosocial Stress and Pain Perception in African AmericansSusan S Girdler; Fiscal Year: 2010..This proposal is intended to forge new territory in the development of a bio-behavioral model relating to the development of clinical pain in African Americans. Project Description ..
- Caffeine Effects on Premenstrual SyndromeHOA VO; Fiscal Year: 2008..Participants complete the Daily Rating Form, Self-Rating Scale for Premenstrual Syndrome, and caffeine survey online daily for two consecutive months for diagnostic purposes...
- ALCOHOL, GABA AND HORMONES: PHYSIOLOGY OF SUBUNIT CHANGESheryl S Smith; Fiscal Year: 2010..The results from these studies may provide insight into potential mechanisms for effects of low dose ethanol at GABAR. ..
- Steroids and GABA: Physiology of Receptor Subunit ChangeSheryl S Smith; Fiscal Year: 2010..These results may be relevant for alterations in mood, cognition and seizure susceptibility (i.e., catamenial epilepsy) reported during puberty and across the menstrual cycle. ..
- CALCIUM AND OPIOID PEPTIDES IN NEUROENDOCRINE REGULATIONGary Shangold; Fiscal Year: 1990..of opioid peptides in the menstrual-cycle dependent changes in the osmoregulation of vasopressin, and subsequently will examine the participation of vasopressin in the etiology of water-retentive symptoms of the Premenstrual Syndrome.
- Growth Hormone Secretory Dynamics in Peripubertal GirlsSteven Pincus; Fiscal Year: 2002..In particular, collaborations with pharmaceutical companies who manufacture growth hormone. ..
- SSRI-INDUCED CHANGES IN CORTICAL GABA IN WOMEN WITH PMDDCYNTHIA EPPERSON; Fiscal Year: 2007..We anticipate that our findings will provide further support for the role of GABA and neurosteroids in the pathogenesis and treatment of PMDD. ..
- NEURONAL DYSFUNCTION IN PREMENSTRUAL DYSPHORIC DISORDERC Epperson; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- A Twin-Family Study of Drug Use, Abuse, and DependenceKenneth Kendler; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- BIOLOGY OF COMORBID DEPRESSION AND ANXIETYElizabeth Young; Fiscal Year: 2001..The results of these studies will provide data on whether the biology of these disorders support the nosological distinction between panic disorder, pure major depression and major depression with co-morbid panic disorder. ..
- MENOPAUSAL TRANSITION: A BIOBEHAVIORAL MODEL OF SYMPTOMSEllen Mitchell; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- BRIEF INTERVENTION FOR DRUG USE IN PREGNANT WOMENDace Svikis; Fiscal Year: 2003..The study will also determine the influence of pre-pregnancy substance use on within-pregnancy quitting rates of illicit drug use, and the impact of quitting on maternal and infant health. ..
- Methodologic quality predictors of observational studiesNirav Shah; Fiscal Year: 2003..Our research could identify potential deficiencies in the available data for a given area and guide future investigators on what common pitfalls to avoid when conducting original research in that field. ..
- The Epidemiology of Mood, Anxiety and Alcohol DisorderKenneth Kendler; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- COCAINE'S EFFECTS ACROSS THE MENSTRUAL CYCLESuzette Evans; Fiscal Year: 2004..The results will clarify an area of literature that is in disarray, in part because of the failure to adequately control for menstrual cycle in studies with human and non-human primates. ..
- Plant-Based Dietry Intervention in Type 2 DiabetesNeal Barnard; Fiscal Year: 2004..Glycosylated hemoglobin, insulin concentrations, 24-hour urinary albumin, body weight, blood pressure, serum lipids, and related cardiovascular risk factors will be measured at baseline, 22 weeks, and 74 weeks. ..
- Menopause Depression and AgingJoyce T Bromberger; Fiscal Year: 2010..Increasing knowledge of the risks for depression in aging women and the factors that protect them from depression can identify targets for intervention at the prevention as well as the acute treatment level. ..
- Female Hormones and VisionAlvin Eisner; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- THE GENETIC EPIDEMIOLOGY OF SCHIZOPHRENIA IN IRELANDKenneth Kendler; Fiscal Year: 2008..In this competitive renewal, we request 5 further years of support with the primary goals of identifying these pathogenic variant(s) and relating them to the biology of the gene, gene product and disease. ..
- SWAN Sleep Study II-UC Davis/Kaiser siteEllen Gold; Fiscal Year: 2008..The results can inform primary prevention of adverse health outcomes due to the menopause-related sleep disturbances. ..
- Antiapoptotic Activity of Alzheimer AbetaCraig Atwood; Fiscal Year: 2003..We also will test whether oxidative stress induces neurons to re-enter the cell cycle as a mechanism leading to cell death. ..
- Prior Depression, PMDD, and Pain: Biological MechanismsRebecca Klatzkin; Fiscal Year: 2008..Studies designed to address biological factors involved in the somatic symptoms of both MDD and PMDD may have implications for treatment of these disorders. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- InhibinB as a Marker for Premenstrual Dysphoric SymptomsSHIRLEY HARTLAGE; Fiscal Year: 2007..Results are expected to provide clues to the cause of PMDD, facilitate the now burdensome diagnostic process, and lead to new treatments. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- An Irish Affected Sib Pair Study of Alcohol DependenceKenneth Kendler; Fiscal Year: 2005..To conduct this project we have assembled a team of experts in clinical assessment, statistical genetics and molecular genetics...
- PUPILLOMETRIC SLEEPINESS IN TREATED SLEEP DISORDERSJoan Shaver; Fiscal Year: 2003..Results will provide evidence about the PUI as a reliable and valid objective outcome measure of waking tendency among controls, and pre-post-treatment for OSA and narcolepsy subjects. ..
- Genomics of Pediatric Headache DisordersAndrew Hershey; Fiscal Year: 2006..The results of this study should help in beginning to develop a molecular genomic approach for the diagnosis and treatment of different headache disorders. ..
- VULNERABILITY TO ANXIOLYTIC ABUSE IN WOMENSuzette M Evans; Fiscal Year: 2010..This careful characterization will provide important information for prevention strategies and guide drug abuse treatment in these groups of individuals. ..