Genomes and Genes
Summary: Total mass of all the organisms of a given type and/or in a given area. (From Concise Dictionary of Biology, 1990) It includes the yield of vegetative mass produced from any given crop.
Publications366 found, 100 shown here
- Biomass recalcitrance: engineering plants and enzymes for biofuels productionMichael E Himmel
Chemical and Biosciences Center, National Renewable Energy Laboratory, Golden, CO 80401, USA
Science 315:804-7. 2007Lignocellulosic biomass has long been recognized as a potential sustainable source of mixed sugars for fermentation to biofuels and other biomaterials...
- Metagenomic discovery of biomass-degrading genes and genomes from cow rumenMatthias Hess
Department of Energy, Joint Genome Institute, Walnut Creek, CA 94598, USA
Science 331:463-7. 2011..deconstruct plant polysaccharides represents a major bottleneck for industrial-scale conversion of cellulosic biomass into biofuels...
- Microbial cellulose utilization: fundamentals and biotechnologyLee R Lynd
Chemical and Biochemical Engineering, Thayer School of Engineering and Department of Biological Sciences, Dartmouth College, Hanover, New Hampshire 03755, USA
Microbiol Mol Biol Rev 66:506-77, table of contents. 2002..examined at successively higher levels of aggregation encompassing the structure and composition of cellulosic biomass, taxonomic diversity, cellulase enzyme systems, molecular biology of cellulase enzymes, physiology of ..
- Biodiesel from microalgaeYusuf Chisti
Institute of Technology and Engineering, Massey University, Private Bag 11 222, Palmerston North, New Zealand
Biotechnol Adv 25:294-306. 2007..Oil productivity of many microalgae greatly exceeds the oil productivity of the best producing oil crops. Approaches for making microalgal biodiesel economically competitive with petrodiesel are discussed...
- The worldwide leaf economics spectrumIan J Wright
Department of Biological Sciences, Macquarie University, New South Wales 2109, Australia
Nature 428:821-7. 2004..Reliable quantification of the leaf economics spectrum and its interaction with climate will prove valuable for modelling nutrient fluxes and vegetation boundaries under changing land-use and climate...
- Spreading dead zones and consequences for marine ecosystemsRobert J Diaz
Virginia Institute of Marine Science, College of William and Mary, Gloucester Point, VA 23062, USA
Science 321:926-9. 2008..Dead zones have now been reported from more than 400 systems, affecting a total area of more than 245,000 square kilometers, and are probably a key stressor on marine ecosystems...
- Consolidated bioprocessing of cellulosic biomass: an updateLee R Lynd
Thayer School of Engineering, Dartmouth College, Hanover, New Hampshire 03755, USA
Curr Opin Biotechnol 16:577-83. 2005..mediated processes seem promising for energy conversion, in particular for the conversion of lignocellulosic biomass into fuels...
- Biomass allocation to leaves, stems and roots: meta-analyses of interspecific variation and environmental controlHendrik Poorter
Plant Sciences IBG2, Forschungszentrum Julich, D 52425 Julich, Germany
New Phytol 193:30-50. 2012We quantified the biomass allocation patterns to leaves, stems and roots in vegetative plants, and how this is influenced by the growth environment, plant size, evolutionary history and competition...
- Insights into the oxidative degradation of cellulose by a copper metalloenzyme that exploits biomass componentsR Jason Quinlan
Novozymes, Inc, Davis, CA 95618, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 108:15079-84. 2011The enzymatic degradation of recalcitrant plant biomass is one of the key industrial challenges of the 21st century. Accordingly, there is a continuing drive to discover new routes to promote polysaccharide degradation...
- Stimulation of lignocellulosic biomass hydrolysis by proteins of glycoside hydrolase family 61: structure and function of a large, enigmatic familyPaul V Harris
Novozymes Inc, 1445 Drew Avenue, Davis, California 95618, USA
Biochemistry 49:3305-16. 2010..of a biorefinery capable of producing renewable transportable fuels such as ethanol from abundant lignocellulosic biomass. Among the many families of glycoside hydrolases that catalyze cellulose and hemicellulose hydrolysis, few are ..
- The biomass objective functionAdam M Feist
GT Life Sciences, Inc, 10520 Wateridge Circle, San Diego, CA 92122, USA
Curr Opin Microbiol 13:344-9. 2010..To computationally predict cell growth using FBA, one has to determine the biomass objective function that describes the rate at which all of the biomass precursors are made in the correct ..
- A genome-scale metabolic reconstruction for Escherichia coli K-12 MG1655 that accounts for 1260 ORFs and thermodynamic informationAdam M Feist
Department of Bioengineering, University of California San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093, USA
Mol Syst Biol 3:121. 2007..of EcoCyc leading to the inclusion of the activities of 1260 ORFs, (2) characterization and quantification of the biomass components and maintenance requirements associated with growth of E...
- Global distribution of microbial abundance and biomass in subseafloor sedimentJens Kallmeyer
Institut für Erd und Umweltwissenschaften, Universitat Potsdam, 14476 Potsdam, Germany
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 109:16213-6. 2012..9⋅10(29) cells [corresponding to 4.1 petagram (Pg) C and ∼0.6% of Earth's total living biomass]...
- Microbial production of fatty-acid-derived fuels and chemicals from plant biomassEric J Steen
Joint BioEnergy Institute, Emeryville, California 94608, USA
Nature 463:559-62. 2010..to this important class of chemicals would be through the microbial conversion of renewable feedstocks, such as biomass-derived carbohydrates...
- The subgingival microbiome in health and periodontitis and its relationship with community biomass and inflammationLoreto Abusleme
Division of Periodontology, Department of Oral Health and Diagnostic Sciences, The University of Connecticut Health Center, Farmington, CT, USA
ISME J 7:1016-25. 2013..In contrast, communities in health and periodontitis largely differed, with higher diversity and biomass in periodontitis...
- Rebuilding global fisheriesBoris Worm
Biology Department, Dalhousie University, Halifax, NS B3H 4J1, Canada
Science 325:578-85. 2009..Impacts of international fleets and the lack of alternatives to fishing complicate prospects for rebuilding fisheries in many poorer regions, highlighting the need for a global perspective on rebuilding marine resources...
- Hydrolysis of lignocellulosic materials for ethanol production: a reviewYe Sun
Department of Biological and Agricultural Engineering, North Carolina State University, Raleigh 27695 7625, USA
Bioresour Technol 83:1-11. 2002Lignocellulosic biomass can be utilized to produce ethanol, a promising alternative energy source for the limited crude oil...
- Rapid worldwide depletion of predatory fish communitiesRansom A Myers
Biology Department, Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada B3H 4J1
Nature 423:280-3. 2003..We constructed trajectories of community biomass and composition of large predatory fishes in four continental shelf and nine oceanic systems, using all available ..
- Estimation of the total parasite biomass in acute falciparum malaria from plasma PfHRP2Arjen M Dondorp
Faculty of Tropical Medicine, Mahidol University, Bangkok, Thailand
PLoS Med 2:e204. 2005..P. falciparum releases a specific histidine-rich protein (PfHRP2) into plasma. Quantitative measurement of plasma PfHRP2 concentrations may reflect the total parasite biomass in falciparum malaria.
- Challenges in engineering microbes for biofuels productionGregory Stephanopoulos
Department of Chemical Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA
Science 315:801-4. 2007..There is justified optimism that the full potential of biofuel production from cellulosic biomass will be obtainable in the next 10 to 15 years.
- Changes in forest biomass carbon storage in China between 1949 and 1998J Fang
Department of Urban and Environmental Science, and Key Laboratory for Earth Surface Processes of the Ministry of Education, Peking University, Beijing 100871, China
Science 292:2320-2. 2001..Here, we used an improved estimation method of forest biomass and a 50-year national forest resource inventory in China to estimate changes in the storage of living biomass ..
- Effects of biodiversity on the functioning of trophic groups and ecosystemsBradley J Cardinale
Department of Ecology, Evolution and Marine Biology, University of California at Santa Barbara, Santa Barbara, California 93106, USA
Nature 443:989-92. 2006..and examine how this alters the efficiency by which communities capture resources and convert those into biomass. So far, the generality of patterns and processes observed in individual studies have been the subjects of ..
- Lignin modification improves fermentable sugar yields for biofuel productionFang Chen
Plant Biology Division, Samuel Roberts Noble Foundation, 2510 Sam Noble Parkway, Ardmore, Oklahoma 73401, USA
Nat Biotechnol 25:759-61. 2007Recalcitrance to saccharification is a major limitation for conversion of lignocellulosic biomass to ethanol...
- Global analysis of nitrogen and phosphorus limitation of primary producers in freshwater, marine and terrestrial ecosystemsJames J Elser
School of Life Sciences, Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ 85287, USA
Ecol Lett 10:1135-42. 2007..Thus, contrary to some prevailing paradigms, freshwater, marine and terrestrial ecosystems are surprisingly similar in terms of N and P limitation...
- Microalgae for oil: strain selection, induction of lipid synthesis and outdoor mass cultivation in a low-cost photobioreactorLiliana Rodolfi
Dipartimento di Biotecnologie Agrarie, Universita degli Studi di Firenze, Piazzale delle Cascine 24, 50144 Firenze, Italy
Biotechnol Bioeng 102:100-12. 2009Thirty microalgal strains were screened in the laboratory for their biomass productivity and lipid content...
- Abrolhos bank reef health evaluated by means of water quality, microbial diversity, benthic cover, and fish biomass dataThiago Bruce
Department of Marine Biology, Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro UFRJ, Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
PLoS ONE 7:e36687. 2012..using measurements of four ecosystem components: (i) inorganic and organic nutrient concentrations,  fish biomass,  macroalgal and coral cover and (iv) microbial community composition and abundance...
- Metabolic engineering of novel lignin in biomass cropsRuben Vanholme
Department of Plant Systems Biology, VIB, Technologiepark 927, Gent, Belgium
New Phytol 196:978-1000. 2012Lignin, a phenolic polymer in the secondary wall, is the major cause of lignocellulosic biomass recalcitrance to efficient industrial processing...
- Targeted discovery of glycoside hydrolases from a switchgrass-adapted compost communityMartin Allgaier
Deconstruction Division, Joint BioEnergy Institute, Emeryville, California, United States of America
PLoS ONE 5:e8812. 2010....
- Partitioning selection and complementarity in biodiversity experimentsM Loreau
Laboratoire d Ecologie, UMR 7625, Ecole Normale Superieure, 46 rue d Ulm, 75230 Paris Cedex 05, France
Nature 412:72-6. 2001..experiments have provided evidence that reduced species diversity may impair ecosystem processes such as plant biomass production...
- Features of promising technologies for pretreatment of lignocellulosic biomassNathan Mosier
Laboratory of Renewable Resources Engineering, Department of Agricultural and Biological Engineering, Purdue University, Potter Engineering Center, 500 Central Drive, West Lafayette, IN 47907 2022, USA
Bioresour Technol 96:673-86. 2005..structural and compositional factors hinder the enzymatic digestibility of cellulose present in lignocellulosic biomass. The goal of any pretreatment technology is to alter or remove structural and compositional impediments to ..
- From plant traits to plant communities: a statistical mechanistic approach to biodiversityBill Shipley
Departement de Biologie, Universite de Sherbrooke, Sherbrooke, Quebec J1K 2R1, Canada
Science 314:812-4. 2006....
- From dwarves to giants? Plant height manipulation for biomass yieldMaria G Salas Fernandez
Department of Agronomy, 1126E Agronomy Hall, Iowa State University, Ames, IA 50011, USA
Trends Plant Sci 14:454-61. 2009The increasing demand for lignocellulosic biomass for the production of biofuels provides value to vegetative plant tissue and leads to a paradigm shift for optimizing plant architecture in bioenergy crops...
- The path forward for biofuels and biomaterialsArthur J Ragauskas
School of Chemistry and Biochemistry, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, GA 30332, USA
Science 311:484-9. 2006b>Biomass represents an abundant carbon-neutral renewable resource for the production of bioenergy and biomaterials, and its enhanced use would address several societal needs...
- Feedstocks for lignocellulosic biofuelsChris Somerville
Energy Biosciences Institute, The University of California Berkeley, Berkeley, CA 94720, USA
Science 329:790-2. 2010..However, there has been relatively little discussion of what types of plants may be useful as bioenergy crops...
- Positive interactions among alpine plants increase with stressRagan M Callaway
Division of Biological Sciences, University of Montana, Missoula, Montana 59812, USA
Nature 417:844-8. 2002..Here we show that the biomass, growth and reproduction of alpine plant species are higher when other plants are nearby...
- Central carbon metabolism as a minimal biochemical walk between precursors for biomass and energyElad Noor
Department of Plant Sciences, Weizmann Institute of Science, Rehovot 76100, Israel
Mol Cell 39:809-20. 2010..These precursors are then used to generate the entire biomass of the cell...
- Sustainable sources of biomass for bioremediation of heavy metals in waste water derived from coal-fired power generationRichard J Saunders
School of Marine and Tropical Biology and Centre for Sustainable Tropical Fisheries and Aquaculture, James Cook University, Townsville, Australia
PLoS ONE 7:e36470. 2012Biosorption of heavy metals using dried algal biomass has been extensively described but rarely implemented. We contend this is because available algal biomass is a valuable product with a ready market...
- How do plants respond to nutrient shortage by biomass allocation?Christian Hermans
Laboratoire de Physiologie et de Génétique Moléculaire des Plantes, Universite Libre de Bruxelles, Boulevard du Triomphe CP 242, 1050 Brussels, Belgium
Trends Plant Sci 11:610-7. 2006..changes in their environment; when mineral elements are scarce, they often allocate a greater proportion of their biomass to the root system...
- Climate-driven trends in contemporary ocean productivityMichael J Behrenfeld
Department of Botany and Plant Pathology, Oregon State University, Corvallis, Oregon 97331, USA
Nature 444:752-5. 2006..The distribution of phytoplankton biomass and NPP is defined by the availability of light and nutrients (nitrogen, phosphate, iron)...
- Baselines and degradation of coral reefs in the Northern Line IslandsStuart A Sandin
Center for Marine Biodiversity and Conservation, Scripps Institution of Oceanography, La Jolla, California, USA
PLoS ONE 3:e1548. 2008..Sharks and other top predators overwhelmed the fish assemblages on Kingman and Palmyra so that the biomass pyramid was inverted (top-heavy)...
- Absence of branches from xylan in Arabidopsis gux mutants reveals potential for simplification of lignocellulosic biomassJennifer C Mortimer
Department of Biochemistry, University of Cambridge, Cambridge CB2 1QW, United Kingdom
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107:17409-14. 2010..The results also demonstrate the potential for manipulating and simplifying the structure of xylan to improve the properties of lignocellulose for bioenergy and other uses...
- An insect herbivore microbiome with high plant biomass-degrading capacityGarret Suen
Department of Energy Great Lakes Bioenergy Research Center, University of Wisconsin Madison, Madison, Wisconsin, United States of America
PLoS Genet 6:e1001129. 2010..the fungus garden microbiome of leaf-cutter ants is composed of a diverse community of bacteria with high plant biomass-degrading capacity...
- Nitrogen additions and microbial biomass: a meta-analysis of ecosystem studiesKathleen K Treseder
Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, University of California, Irvine, CA 92697, USA
Ecol Lett 11:1111-20. 2008..In this meta-analysis, I synthesized responses of microbial biomass to N additions in 82 published field studies...
- Inhibition of ethanol-producing yeast and bacteria by degradation products produced during pre-treatment of biomassH B Klinke
Department of Plant Research, Risø National Laboratory, P O Box 49, 4000 Roskilde, Denmark
Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 66:10-26. 2004..The resulting hydrolyzsates contain substances inhibitory to fermentation-depending on both the raw material (biomass) and the pre-treatment applied...
- Increasing carbon storage in intact African tropical forestsSimon L Lewis
Earth and Biosphere Institute, School of Geography, University of Leeds, Leeds LS2 9JT, UK
Nature 457:1003-6. 2009....
- Diversity and productivity in a long-term grassland experimentD Tilman
Department of Ecology, Evolution and Behavior, University of Minnesota, St Paul, MN 55108, USA
Science 294:843-5. 2001..7 times greater biomass than monocultures...
- Global allocation rules for patterns of biomass partitioning in seed plantsBrian J Enquist
Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ 87519, USA
Science 295:1517-20. 2002..derived to predict intraspecific and interspecific scaling relationships among seed plant leaf, stem, and root biomass. Analysis of a large compendium of standing organ biomass sampled across a broad sampling of taxa inhabiting ..
- Nitrogen limitation of net primary productivity in terrestrial ecosystems is globally distributedDavid S LeBauer
Department of Earth System Science, University of California, Irvine, California 92054, USA
Ecology 89:371-9. 2008..These results suggest that the global N and C cycles interact strongly and that geography can mediate ecosystem response to N within certain biome types...
- Respiratory disease associated with solid biomass fuel exposure in rural women and children: systematic review and meta-analysisJune Y T Po
Department of Medicine, The University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Thorax 66:232-9. 2011Numerous studies with varying associations between domestic use of solid biomass fuels (wood, dung, crop residue, charcoal) and respiratory diseases have been reported.
- Estimation of fish biomass using environmental DNATeruhiko Takahara
Research Institute for Humanity and Nature, Kyoto, Japan
PLoS ONE 7:e35868. 2012..We hypothesized that fish release DNA into the water at a rate commensurate with their biomass. Thus, the concentration of eDNA of a target species may be used to estimate the species biomass...
- Insights into plant biomass conversion from the genome of the anaerobic thermophilic bacterium Caldicellulosiruptor bescii DSM 6725Phuongan Dam
Institute of Bioinformatics, Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Georgia, Athens, GA 30602, USA
Nucleic Acids Res 39:3240-54. 2011..It is a promising anaerobic bacterium for studying high-temperature biomass conversion. Its genome contains 2666 protein-coding sequences organized into 1209 operons...
- A general model for ontogenetic growthG B West
Theoretical Division, MS B285, Los Alamos National Laboratory, Los Alamos, New Mexico 87545, USA
Nature 413:628-31. 2001..for the allocation of metabolic energy between maintenance of existing tissue and the production of new biomass. We thus predict the parameters governing growth curves from basic cellular properties and derive a single ..
- Determinants of woody cover in African savannasMahesh Sankaran
Natural Resource Ecology Laboratory, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, Colorado 80523, USA
Nature 438:846-9. 2005..These results provide insights into the nature of African savannas and suggest that future changes in precipitation may considerably affect their distribution and dynamics...
- Bioconversion of lignocellulosic biomass: biochemical and molecular perspectivesRaj Kumar
Radiation Biotechnology Unit, Division of Radiation Biology and Radiation Protection, Institute of Nuclear Medicine and Allied Sciences, New Delhi, 110054 India
J Ind Microbiol Biotechnol 35:377-91. 2008..Lignocelluloses as agricultural, industrial and forest residuals account for the majority of the total biomass present in the world...
- Genomics of cellulosic biofuelsEdward M Rubin
DOE Joint Genome Institute, 2800 Mitchell Drive, Walnut Creek, California 94598, USA
Nature 454:841-5. 2008The development of alternatives to fossil fuels as an energy source is an urgent global priority. Cellulosic biomass has the potential to contribute to meeting the demand for liquid fuel, but land-use requirements and process ..
- Comparative genomic analysis of the thermophilic biomass-degrading fungi Myceliophthora thermophila and Thielavia terrestrisRandy M Berka
Novozymes, Inc, Davis, CA, USA
Nat Biotechnol 29:922-7. 2011..enzymes and thermophilic cell factories may afford economic advantages in the production of many chemicals and biomass-based fuels...
- Transcriptional regulation of biomass-degrading enzymes in the filamentous fungus Trichoderma reeseiPamela K Foreman
Genencor International, Inc, Palo Alto, California 94304, USA
J Biol Chem 278:31988-97. 2003..produces and secretes profuse quantities of enzymes that act synergistically to degrade cellulase and related biomass components. We partially sequenced over 5100 random T. reesei cDNA clones...
- Significant contribution of Archaea to extant biomass in marine subsurface sedimentsJulius S Lipp
Organic Geochemistry Group, Department of Geosciences and MARUM Center for Marine Environmental Sciences, University of Bremen, PO Box 330 440, 28334 Bremen, Germany
Nature 454:991-4. 2008..of live cells, are attributable to archaeal membranes, suggesting that Archaea constitute a major fraction of the biomass. Results obtained from modified quantitative polymerase chain reaction and slot-blot hybridization protocols ..
- Genome-scale reconstruction and analysis of the Pseudomonas putida KT2440 metabolic network facilitates applications in biotechnologyJacek Puchałka
Synthetic and Systems Biology Group, Helmholtz Center for Infection Research HZI, Braunschweig, Germany
PLoS Comput Biol 4:e1000210. 2008..revealed that the metabolic network structure is the main factor determining the accuracy of predictions, whereas biomass composition has negligible influence...
- Efficient degradation of lignocellulosic plant biomass, without pretreatment, by the thermophilic anaerobe "Anaerocellum thermophilum" DSM 6725Sung Jae Yang
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Georgia, Athens, GA 30602, USA
Appl Environ Microbiol 75:4762-9. 2009Very few cultivated microorganisms can degrade lignocellulosic biomass without chemical pretreatment...
- An outlook on microalgal biofuelsRene H Wijffels
Wageningen University, Bioprocess Engineering, Post Office Box 8129, 6700 EV Wageningen, Netherlands
Science 329:796-9. 2010....
- Rice yields decline with higher night temperature from global warmingShaobing Peng
Crop, Soil, and Water Sciences Division, International Rice Research Institute, DAPO Box 7777, Metro Manila, Philippines
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 101:9971-5. 2004..This report provides a direct evidence of decreased rice yields from increased nighttime temperature associated with global warming...
- Land clearing and the biofuel carbon debtJoseph Fargione
The Nature Conservancy, 1101 West River Parkway, Suite 200, Minneapolis, MN 55415, USA
Science 319:1235-8. 2008..In contrast, biofuels made from waste biomass or from biomass grown on degraded and abandoned agricultural lands planted with perennials incur little or no ..
- Drought sensitivity of the Amazon rainforestOliver L Phillips
Ecology and Global Change, School of Geography, University of Leeds, Leeds LS2 9JT, UK
Science 323:1344-7. 2009..Affected forest lost biomass, reversing a large long-term carbon sink, with the greatest impacts observed where the dry season was unusually ..
- Ecosystem stability and compensatory effects in the Inner Mongolia grasslandYongfei Bai
Laboratory of Quantitative Vegetation Ecology, Institute of Botany, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing 100093, China
Nature 431:181-4. 2004..First, that January-July precipitation is the primary climatic factor causing fluctuations in community biomass production; second, that ecosystem stability (conversely related to variability in community biomass production) ..
- Development, parallelization, and automation of a gas-inducing milliliter-scale bioreactor for high-throughput bioprocess design (HTBD)R Puskeiler
Lehrstuhl für Bioverfahrenstechnik, Technische Universitat Munchen, Boltzmannstrasse 15, 85748 Garching, Germany
Biotechnol Bioeng 89:512-23. 2005..5 g L(-1) in fed-batch cultivation with air aeration. Growth of E. coli at the milliliter scale (10 mL) was shown to be equivalent to laboratory scale (3 L) with regard to growth rate, mu, and biomass yield, Y(XS).
- Woodsmoke health effects: a reviewLuke P Naeher
Department of Environmental Health Science, College of Public Health, University of Georgia, Athens, Georgia, USA
Inhal Toxicol 19:67-106. 2007..of smoke from wildland fires and agricultural burning, and related controlled human laboratory exposures to biomass smoke; the epidemiology of outdoor and indoor woodsmoke exposures from residential woodburning in developed ..
- Trichoderma virens, a plant beneficial fungus, enhances biomass production and promotes lateral root growth through an auxin-dependent mechanism in ArabidopsisHexon Angel Contreras-Cornejo
Instituto de Investigaciones Quimico Biologicas, Universidad Michoacana de San Nicolas de Hidalgo, Ciudad Universitaria, CP 58030 Morelia, Michoacan, Mexico
Plant Physiol 149:1579-92. 2009..virens or T. atroviride showed characteristic auxin-related phenotypes, including increased biomass production and stimulated lateral root development...
- An overview of second generation biofuel technologiesRalph E H Sims
Centre for Energy Research, Massey University, Palmerston North, New Zealand
Bioresour Technol 101:1570-80. 2010..The logistics of providing a competitive, all-year-round, supply of biomass feedstock to a commercial-scale plant is challenging, as is improving the performance of the conversion process ..
- Global human footprint on the linkage between biodiversity and ecosystem functioning in reef fishesCamilo Mora
Department of Biology, Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
PLoS Biol 9:e1000606. 2011..that in contrast to previous theoretical and experimental studies, ecosystem functioning (as measured by standing biomass) scales in a non-saturating manner with biodiversity (as measured by species and functional richness) in this ..
- Increased fitness of rice plants to abiotic stress via habitat adapted symbiosis: a strategy for mitigating impacts of climate changeRegina S Redman
Western Fisheries Research Center, United States Geological Survey, Seattle, Washington, United States of America
PLoS ONE 6:e14823. 2011..Endophytes reduced water consumption by 20-30% and increased growth rate, reproductive yield, and biomass of greenhouse grown plants...
- Biomass deconstruction to sugarsHarvey W Blanch
Joint BioEnergy Institute, Emeryville, CA 94608, USA
Biotechnol J 6:1086-102. 2011The production of biofuels from lignocellulosic biomass relies on the depolymerization of its polysaccharide content into fermentable sugars...
- The 2010 Amazon droughtSimon L Lewis
School of Geography, University of Leeds, Leeds LS2 9JT, UK
Science 331:554. 2011..By using relationships between drying and forest biomass responses measured for 2005, we predict the impact of the 2010 drought as 2...
- Nutrient co-limitation of primary producer communitiesW Stanley Harpole
Department of Ecology, Evolution and Organismal Biology, Iowa State University, 133 Bessey Hall, Ames, IA 50010, USA
Ecol Lett 14:852-62. 2011..We found support for strict definitions of co-limitation in 28% of the studies: i.e. community biomass responded to only combined N and P addition, or to both N and P when added separately...
- Global patterns and predictions of seafloor biomass using random forestsChih Lin Wei
Department of Oceanography, Texas A and M University, College Station, Texas, United States of America
PLoS ONE 5:e15323. 2010A comprehensive seafloor biomass and abundance database has been constructed from 24 oceanographic institutions worldwide within the Census of Marine Life (CoML) field projects...
- Environmental, economic, and energetic costs and benefits of biodiesel and ethanol biofuelsJason Hill
Department of Ecology, Evolution, and Behavior, University of Minnesota, St Paul, MN 55108, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103:11206-10. 2006..Transportation biofuels such as synfuel hydrocarbons or cellulosic ethanol, if produced from low-input biomass grown on agriculturally marginal land or from waste biomass, could provide much greater supplies and ..
- Carbon-negative biofuels from low-input high-diversity grassland biomassDavid Tilman
Department of Ecology, Evolution, and Behavior, University of Minnesota, St Paul, MN 55108, USA
Science 314:1598-600. 2006..32 megagram hectare(-1) year(-1)). Moreover, LIHD biofuels can be produced on agriculturally degraded lands and thus need to neither displace food production nor cause loss of biodiversity via habitat destruction...
- Emergent biogeography of microbial communities in a model oceanMichael J Follows
Department of Earth, Atmospheric and Planetary Sciences, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 54 1514 MIT, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA
Science 315:1843-6. 2007..This flexible representation of community structure can be used to explore relations between ecosystems, biogeochemical cycles, and climate change...
- Recent changes in phytoplankton communities associated with rapid regional climate change along the western Antarctic PeninsulaMartin Montes-Hugo
Coastal Ocean Observation Lab, Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, School of Environmental and Biological Sciences, Rutgers University, New Brunswick, NJ 08901, USA
Science 323:1470-3. 2009..Regional changes in phytoplankton coincide with observed changes in krill (Euphausia superba) and penguin populations...
- Plants integrate information about nutrients and neighborsJames F Cahill
Department of Biological Sciences, University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB T6G 2E9, Canada
Science 328:1657. 2010....
- Net energy of cellulosic ethanol from switchgrassM R Schmer
U S Department of Agriculture Agricultural Research Service, University of Nebraska, 314 Biochemistry Hall, P O Box 830737, Lincoln, NE 68583 0737, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 105:464-9. 2008..We managed switchgrass as a biomass energy crop in field trials of 3-9 ha (1 ha = 10,000 m2) on marginal cropland on 10 farms across a wide ..
- Regulation of plant biomass productionTaku Demura
Graduate School of Biological Sciences, Nara Institute of Science and Technology, 8916 5 Takayama cho, Ikoma, Nara 630 0192, Japan
Curr Opin Plant Biol 13:299-304. 2010Plant biomass used for cellulosic biofuel production is primarily from vegetative tissues. Therefore, an increase in the vegetative growth of plants will lead to a higher production of plant biomass...
- Fuel ethanol production from lignocellulose: a challenge for metabolic engineering and process integrationJ Zaldivar
Center for Process Biotechnology, Department of Biotechnology, Technical University of Denmark, Lyngby
Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 56:17-34. 2001..Bioethanol (ethanol from biomass) is an attractive, sustainable energy source to fuel transportation...
- Analysis of optimality in natural and perturbed metabolic networksDaniel Segrè
Lipper Center for Computational Genetics and Department of Genetics, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 99:15112-7. 2002..MOMA and its possible future extensions may be useful in understanding the evolutionary optimization of metabolism...
- Silencing of 4-coumarate:coenzyme A ligase in switchgrass leads to reduced lignin content and improved fermentable sugar yields for biofuel productionBin Xu
Department of Horticulture, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Blacksburg, VA 24061, USA
New Phytol 192:611-25. 2011..of feedstock has been proposed as one key agronomic trait impacting biofuel production from lignocellulosic biomass. 4-Coumarate:coenzyme A ligase (4CL) is one of the key enzymes involved in the monolignol biosynthethic pathway...
- Soil carbon sequestration impacts on global climate change and food securityR Lal
Carbon Management and Sequestration Center, Ohio State University Columbus, OH 43210, USA
Science 304:1623-7. 2004..5 to 1 kg/ha for cowpeas. As well as enhancing food security, carbon sequestration has the potential to offset fossil fuel emissions by 0.4 to 1.2 gigatons of carbon per year, or 5 to 15% of the global fossil-fuel emissions...
- Trends in biotechnological production of fuel ethanol from different feedstocksOscar J Sánchez
Department of Chemical Engineering, National University of Colombia at Manizales, Cra 27 No 64 60 Of F 505, Manizales, Caldas, Colombia
Bioresour Technol 99:5270-95. 2008..fuel ethanol from sucrose-containing feedstocks (mainly sugar cane), starchy materials and lignocellulosic biomass are described along with the major research trends for improving them...
- Extremely thermophilic microorganisms for biomass conversion: status and prospectsSara E Blumer-Schuette
Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC 27695 7905, United States
Curr Opin Biotechnol 19:210-7. 2008..temperatures are able to utilize a variety of carbohydrates pertinent to the conversion of lignocellulosic biomass to bioenergy. The range of substrates utilized depends on growth temperature optimum and biotope...
- Unraveling the complex trait of crop yield with quantitative trait loci mapping in Brassica napusJiaqin Shi
National Key Laboratory of Crop Genetic Improvement, Huazhong Agricultural University, Wuhan, China
Genetics 182:851-61. 2009..The idea of estimating indicator QTL for yield QTL and identifying potential candidate genes for yield provides an advance in methodology for complex traits...
- Comparison of dilute acid and ionic liquid pretreatment of switchgrass: Biomass recalcitrance, delignification and enzymatic saccharificationChenlin Li
Joint BioEnergy Institute, Physical Biosciences Division, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, Emeryville, CA, USA
Bioresour Technol 101:4900-6. 2010The efficiency of two biomass pretreatment technologies, dilute acid hydrolysis and dissolution in an ionic liquid, are compared in terms of delignification, saccharification efficiency and saccharide yields with switchgrass serving as a ..
- Phylogenetic, microbiological, and glycoside hydrolase diversities within the extremely thermophilic, plant biomass-degrading genus CaldicellulosiruptorSara E Blumer-Schuette
Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, North Carolina 27695 7905, USA
Appl Environ Microbiol 76:8084-92. 2010..toward the capacity of these extremely thermophilic bacteria to degrade the complex carbohydrate content of plant biomass. Seven species from this genus (C. saccharolyticus, C. bescii, C. hydrothermalis, C. owensensis, C...
- Transition of cellulose crystalline structure and surface morphology of biomass as a function of ionic liquid pretreatment and its relation to enzymatic hydrolysisGang Cheng
Joint BioEnergy Institute, Emeryville, California, USA
Biomacromolecules 12:933-41. 2011..and eucalyptus ( Eucalyptus globulus ), and its influence on cellulose hydrolysis kinetics of the resultant biomass. These feedstocks were pretreated using 1-ethyl-3-methyl imidazolium acetate ([C2mim][OAc]) at 120 and 160 °C ..
- Expression of biomass-degrading enzymes is a major event during conidium development in Trichoderma reeseiBenjamin Metz
Institute of Chemical Engineering, University of Technology of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Eukaryot Cell 10:1527-35. 2011..reesei, contributes to the hypothesis that the ability to hydrolyze plant biomass is a major trait of this fungus enabling it to break dormancy and reinitiate vegetative growth after a period of ..
- Deconstruction of lignocellulosic biomass to fuels and chemicalsShishir P S Chundawat
Great Lakes Bioenergy Research Center, East Lansing, MI 48824, USA
Annu Rev Chem Biomol Eng 2:121-45. 2011..To produce infrastructure-compatible fuels from biomass, two challenges remain: overcoming plant cell wall recalcitrance to extract sugar and phenolic intermediates, and ..
- OptStrain: a computational framework for redesign of microbial production systemsPriti Pharkya
Department of Chemical Engineering, The Pennsylvania State University, University Park, Pennsylvania 16802, USA
Genome Res 14:2367-76. 2004..In summary, OptStrain provides a useful tool to aid microbial strain design and, more importantly, it establishes an integrated framework to accommodate future modeling developments...
- Loss of plant species after chronic low-level nitrogen deposition to prairie grasslandsChristopher M Clark
Department of Ecology, Evolution and Behavior, 100 Ecology, 1987 Upper Buford Circle, University of Minnesota, St Paul, Minnesota 55108, USA
Nature 451:712-5. 2008..A second experiment showed that a decade after cessation of nitrogen addition, relative plant species number, although not species abundances, had recovered, demonstrating that some effects of nitrogen addition are reversible...
- Soil biota and exotic plant invasionRagan M Callaway
Division of Biological Sciences, The University of Montana, Missoula, Montana 59812, USA
Nature 427:731-3. 2004..But in soils from North America, Centaurea cultivates soil biota with increasingly positive effects on itself, which may contribute to the success of this exotic species in North America...
- Flux balance analysis of primary metabolism in Chlamydomonas reinhardtiiNanette R Boyle
School of Chemical Engineering, Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana 47907, USA
BMC Syst Biol 3:4. 2009..organisms convert atmospheric carbon dioxide into numerous metabolites along the pathways to make new biomass. Aquatic photosynthetic organisms, which fix almost half of global inorganic carbon, have great potential: as a ..
- Plant species richness and functional composition drive overyielding in a six-year grassland experimentElisabeth Marquard
Max Planck Institute for Biogeochemistry, Hans Knöll Strasse 10, 07745 Jena, Germany
Ecology 90:3290-302. 2009Plant diversity has been shown to increase community biomass in experimental communities, but the mechanisms resulting in such positive biodiversity effects have remained largely unknown...
- Shifts in caterpillar biomass phenology due to climate change and its impact on the breeding biology of an insectivorous birdMarcel E Visser
Netherlands Institute of Ecology NIOO KNAW, P O Box 40, 6666 ZG, Heteren, The Netherlands
Oecologia 147:164-72. 2006..We measured caterpillar biomass over a 20-year period and showed that the annual peak date is correlated with temperatures from 8 March to 17 May...
- Multiple controls of community structure and dynamics in a sublittoral marine environmentBernat Hereu
Departament d Ecologia, Facultat de Biologia, Universitat de Barcelona, Diagonal 645, 08028 Barcelona, Spain
Ecology 89:3423-35. 2008..Most algae showed a marked annual cycle, with a biomass peak in late spring/summer and low biomass in winter, following seasonal fluctuations in resource availability, ..
- Scott J Hultgren; Fiscal Year: 2015..IBCs are transient and upon IBC maturation bacteria disperse from the biomass, filament, and spread to neighboring BECs, re-initiating the IBC cycle...
- PEGGY SUE LAI; Fiscal Year: 2016..Endotoxin is almost universally present, and has been found at high levels in tobacco smoke, homes burning biomass fuel, in the context of various occupations especially cotton textile work, and more recently as part of indoor ..
- Pulmonary effects of biomass fuel indoor PM from rural IndiaShyam Biswal; Fiscal Year: 2013Project Summary About 3 billion people, half the worldwide population, are exposed to smoke from biomass fuel compared with 1 billion people who smoke tobacco, which suggests that exposure to biomass smoke might be the biggest risk ..
- Hazel Holden; Fiscal Year: 2015DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Carbohydrates constitute ~50% of the Earth's biomass where they major play roles in energy storage, signaling, molecular recognition, and cell structure...
- Md Yunus; Fiscal Year: 2014..are a major environmental health concern for the pollution of Bangladesh primarily through exposure to indoor biomass fuels and urban air quality...
- Cookstove Replacement for Prevention of ARI and Low Birthweight in NepalJAMES MACK TIELSCH; Fiscal Year: 2012..for poor, rural areas in developing countries and the strong observational association between open burning of biomass fuel sources and ARI in young children and low birth weight, we have designed a community-based randomized trial ..
- GLUTATHIONE TRANSFERASES IN HUMANS: DIETARY INFLUENCESJohanna Lampe; Fiscal Year: 2009..e., gut microbial composition of Eubacteria, total bacterial biomass)...
- Impact of an Indoor Stove Intervention on Indicators of Cardiorespiratory HealthJennifer L Peel; Fiscal Year: 2012..However, quantitative and longitudinal assessments of improved stoves are limited. Indoor air pollution from biomass and coal smoke is estimated to account for approximately 1...
- Facilitating large scale biomass generation: acquisition of an automated 100 L feRoger D Kornberg; Fiscal Year: 2010..Growth of cell cultures on a large scale in the proposed system will permit the isolation of proteins involved in these fundamental processes. The isolated proteins will be subjected to biochemical and structural analyses. ..
- Patricia L Hibberd; Fiscal Year: 2016..Public Health Relevance: More than 3 billion people use traditional stoves and biomass fuels for cooking...
- Barbara B Warner; Fiscal Year: 2014..the enteric microbiome of premature newborns will be leveraged to explore associations between this biomass and the development of BPD-related adverse pulmonary outcomes...
- PATRICK LOTT KINNEY; Fiscal Year: 2016DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Smoke from biomass combustion leads to approximately 1...
- MAGGIE LYNN CLARK; Fiscal Year: 2014..Nearly 3 billion people rely on biomass combustion to meet basic domestic energy needs...
- Discovery of genes that extend yeast lifespan: Aging in immobilized cell reactorsRAPHAEL ROSENZWEIG; Fiscal Year: 2009..These reactors continue to produce close-to-theoretical yields of ethanol but very little biomass, relative to substrate input...
- BLAIR JOHNSON WYLIE; Fiscal Year: 2016DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant) The majority of households in sub-Saharan Africa rely on solid biomass fuels (charcoal, wood, crop residues) for cooking...
- Research Training on Chronic Lung Diseases in Southern AfricaThomas G Robins; Fiscal Year: 2013..g., ambient air pollution, burning of biomass fuels in domiciles, indoor and outdoor exposure to bioaerosols, environmental tobacco smoke)and occupational (e.g...
- Metabolic Engineering Studies of Extreme ThermoacidophilyRobert M Kelly; Fiscal Year: 2010..the Crenarcheaota (not all of which are extreme thermoacidophiles) comprise a significant fraction of the global biomass, and are relevant beyond extreme niches...
- Temporal and spatial expression of regulators affecting Escherichia coli biofilmBIRGIT MAGDALENE PRUESS; Fiscal Year: 2012..Using the environmental conditions that gave the largest differences in biofilm associated biomass between mutants in flhD, rcsB, ompR, and genes encoding enzymes of acetate metabolism, qualitative and ..
- CAROL ANNE GROSS; Fiscal Year: 2016..by applicant): Bacteria live in diverse and variable environments and constitute about half of the world's biomass. Free-living bacteria must adapt to daily and seasonal temperature changes;those living in host organisms ..
- Michael R Brent; Fiscal Year: 2015..aggressive cancer cells shunt carbon away from aerobic respiration toward anaerobic energy production and biomass. The three master regulators of carbon fate are conserved from yeast to man: Protein Kinase A (PKA), AMP ..
- Kirk R Smith; Fiscal Year: 2015..The most common fuel for heating and cooking in developing countries is biomass (wood, cow dung and agricultural waste), often burnt without any chimney or ventilation. Houses fill with smoke...
- The Neonatal Microbiome and Necrotizing EnterocolitisPhillip I Tarr; Fiscal Year: 2012..In doing so, we will test the overarching hypothesis that NEC is a direct or indirect consequence of the enteric biomass, its products, or both...
- Indoor woodsmoke PM and asthma: a randomized trialTONY JOHN WARD; Fiscal Year: 2012..The results from this project will be translatable to other regions in the US and the world where biomass burning is commonly used for heating and cooking. Relevance: This study will determine if reductions in PM2...
- David B Peden; Fiscal Year: 2016..Endotoxin (lipopolysaccharide or LPS) is a component of coarse and fine mode PM, bioaerosols, tobacco and biomass smoke. Ozone (O3) is the most commonly encountered ambient air pollutant in the US...
- Michael W White; Fiscal Year: 2015..and disease severity are critically influenced by asexual stage growth rates that can lead to increased parasite biomass and significant tissue destruction and inflammation...
- MtdA, a Key Regulator for Assimilation and Oxidation of C1 Metabolism.NORMA CECILIA MARTINEZ-GOMEZ; Fiscal Year: 2012..The mechanism by which MtdA restricts flux to biomass will be assessed by first determining whether the effect occurs at the post-transcriptional or post-translational ..
- Enhanced Propagation of Adult Human Renal Epithelial CellsAngela Westover; Fiscal Year: 2009..for the isolation of REC progenitor cell populations from human cadaver kidneys and propagation to a much larger biomass than current protocols, followed by terminal differentiation to functional REC...
- GAUTAM NAGABHUSHAN YADAMA; Fiscal Year: 2014DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Nearly 2 million people die annually due to indoor air pollution from solid biomass combustion and 99 percent of these deaths are in developing countries...
- Xiaowei Zhuang; Fiscal Year: 2014DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Bacteria constitute the majority of the world's biomass and are responsible for most bioconversion on the planet...
- Low-Cost Catalytic Biomass Cookstove for Improved Indoor Air QualityPAUL YELVINGTON; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION: An estimated 2.5 billion people, or about one-third of the world's population, rely on biomass fuel for cooking...
- Plant-Derived hepatitis B Vaccine from Biomanufacturing System to Clinical TrialRobert Britt; Fiscal Year: 2009..Production via plants by growing biomass from plants that are genetically engineered to carry a specific biopharma product will allow for a fast and cost-..
- PAMELA JAGGER; Fiscal Year: 2016DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Globally over 3 billion people rely on biomass as their million deaths annually, more than the number of deaths from malaria and tuberculosis...
- A Drosophila Model for the regulation of Aerobic GlycolysisJASON MICHAEL TENNESSEN; Fiscal Year: 2013..or the Warburg effect, allows cancer cells to metabolize large quantities of glucose in order to generate the biomass required for cell growth and proliferation...
- Identification of Metabolic Liabilities in Breast CancerRICHARD LEWIS POSSEMATO; Fiscal Year: 2013..and utilization of nutrients, such as glucose and glutamine, to accommodate the tumor's need to accumulate biomass. In contrast to normally proliferative tissues, cells within a tumor are frequently starved for nutrients due to ..
- Novel methods for high-level expression of aglycosylated or fully glycosylated moPaul Colussi; Fiscal Year: 2010..The direct link between biomass and product accumulation implicit in this process may result in a substantial positive impact on the cost of ..
- Jennifer L Peel; Fiscal Year: 2015..found among the poorest populations, takes place using inefficient and poorly vented indoor cookstoves burning biomass (wood, animal dung, crop residues) and coal, resulting in extremely high indoor air pollution concentrations...
- Edward D Walker; Fiscal Year: 2016..habitats is intimately linked to microbial transformations of organic matter and the production of microbial biomass. These relationships impose fundamental constraints on, and facilitate, larval mosquito growth by microbial ..
- J Marie Hardwick; Fiscal Year: 2014..also investigate the mechanisms underlying the effects of Bcl-xL or mitochondrial dynamics (fission, fusion and biomass control) and energetics (Aim 2), and will determine the role of Bcl-xL in membrane fusion using cellular and in ..
- Sumal Nandasena; Fiscal Year: 2016..The main type of solid fuel in Sri Lanka is biomass. Particulate Matter (PM) released from burning of biomass fuel is known to be hazardous to human health ..
- Nano-scale Mechanisms of Metal(loid) Rhizostabilization in Desert Mine TailingsJONATHAN D CHOROVER; Fiscal Year: 2011..with the goal of root zone metal accumulation to avoid metals from entering the food chain through above-ground biomass. The role of plant roots and microbes in promoting mineral dissolution-precipitation reactions and associated ..
- Engineering Enhanced Plants for Arsenic RemediationDavid Lee; Fiscal Year: 2009..the use of plants to remove toxins from contaminated soils or water and concentrate the toxins in the biomass compared to the environment...
- Donald P McDonnell; Fiscal Year: 2016..Specifically, it is hypothesized that this receptor contributes to cellular biomass accumulation by inducing the expression of key gene products required for the generation of biosynthetic ..
- Regina M Santella; Fiscal Year: 2016..Flexible Working Groups (Biomass Combustion, Epigenetics, Environmental Determinants of Neurological Disease, Environmental Exposures across the ..
- The Role of the Gut Microbiota in Ulcerative ColitisVincent B Young; Fiscal Year: 2012..of the gastrointestinal tract is the richest of the human- associated microbial communities in terms of absolute biomass and relative diversity...
- Using Second Coordination Sphere Interactions of Rhenium(I) Complexes to PromoteLOI HUNG DO; Fiscal Year: 2012..is in the industrial use of synthesis gas (syngas), CO and H2, which can be readily obtained from coal and biomass. Although several large-scale manufacturing plants utilize syngas to produce hydrocarbons and oxygenates, current ..
- Pilot Study of Childhood Leukemia in GuatemalaLibby Morimoto; Fiscal Year: 2013..primarily of pure indigenous and mixed (mestizo) indigenous-European peoples, as well as the widespread use of biomass fuels for heating and cooking, Guatemala presents an ideal model system to study exposure to suspected ..
- PATRICK DAVID SCHLOSS; Fiscal Year: 2015..for this hypothesis comes from observations in the field of landscape ecology that variation in total plant biomass production is reduced in high diversity ecosystems, but the variation in biomass of individual plant populations ..
- Residential Wood Smoke Interventions Improving Health in Native American PopulatiTONY JOHN WARD; Fiscal Year: 2013..b>Biomass smoke exposures due to residential wood heating are common among rural Native American communities, and such ..
- MATTHEW VANDER HEIDEN; Fiscal Year: 2016..Cancer cells require altered metabolism to efficiently incorporate nutrients such as glucose into biomass to support proliferation...
- THE DEVELOPMENTAL STOOL METATRANSCRIPTOME IN NEWBORNSWILLIAM ESTUS BENNETT; Fiscal Year: 2010..of the precise metabolic activity of both host epithelial and inflammatory cells, and of the enteric microbial biomass. I propose to use RNA sequencing to characterize the intestinal microbial and host transcriptome in human ..
- A Plant-Derived Recombinant Bioscavenger to Prevent Insecticide NeurotoxicityYvonne Rosenberg; Fiscal Year: 2007..rBChE using the plant expression system which is versatile and inexpensive due to its ability to yield a large biomass in GMP conditions (Phase I) and (2) as a result of their unsialyted and atypical glycans, these recombinant plant ..
- Enhanced endophyte:poplar system for remediation of organic contaminantsMichael J Blaylock; Fiscal Year: 2013..Because poplar is also a potential biomass energy crop, the potential use of the biomass for biopower or biofuel production following remedial activities ..
- Novel accelerated in vitro breeding for phytoremediationMIHALY CZAKO; Fiscal Year: 2007..built on the successful demonstration of the feasibility of our novel technology for in vitro breeding of a large biomass plant for field-scale phytoremediation...
- CULTURE, PHYSIOLOGY, GENETICS, INFLUENCING TAXANE YIELDSRICK KELSEY; Fiscal Year: 1992..scions of high taxane-- producing genotypes onto more rapidly growing rootstocks to increase their harvestable biomass. Hedging and field-pruning procedures designed to stimulate foliage and stem growth will be assessed by measuring ..
- Novel Approaches to Studying the Situ Bioremediation of Complex MixturesROLF HALDEN; Fiscal Year: 2009..on microorganisms;(2) the response of microorganisms to presented compounds manifests itself as changes in biomass, community structure and function;and (3) these changes can be detected conveniently by biochemical, genetic and ..
- Microbial Mediation of Habitat Selection and ProductionEdward Walker; Fiscal Year: 2006..Secondly, we will quantify microbial processing of nutrients and accrual of microbial biomass in larval habitats, and link them to adult production...
- Phytoextraction of Cadmium from Plant Trichomes Expressing a Stabilized AntibodyRyan W Shepherd; Fiscal Year: 2012..pursue is the modification of a natural process of heavy metal phytoextraction in the genetically-tractable, high-biomass plant Nicotiana tabacum...
- The Neonatal Microbiome and Necrotizing EnterocolitisPhillip Tarr; Fiscal Year: 2009..In doing so, we will test the overarching hypothesis that NEC is a direct or indirect consequence of the enteric biomass, its products, or both...
- Model-driven Media Optimization in Hybridoma Cell LineIman Famili; Fiscal Year: 2006..to microbial systems, productivity and product titers in mammalian cell cultures are low mainly due to the low biomass concentration achievable in standard mammalian cell culture...
- LARVAL MOSQUITO FEEDING AND MICROBIAL INTERACTIONSEdward Walker; Fiscal Year: 2007..but it is constrained by conversion of refractile organic material into ingestible and digestible microbial biomass. The tree hole habitat of several mosquito species is our model system to study this phenomenon...
- COMMUNITY COMPOSITION AND PHYSIOLOGY OF ORAL BIOFILMSDavid White; Fiscal Year: 2001..define a species-composition measurement using phospholipid-bound fatty-acid (PLFA) profiles of whole-community biomass, and will validate that measurement by correlation with checkerboard hybridization and cultivable flora methods...
- The Role of the Gut Microbiota in Ulcerative ColitisVincent Young; Fiscal Year: 2009..of the gastrointestinal tract is the richest of the human associated microbial communities in terms of absolute biomass and relative diversity...
- Effects of cooking smoke on healthVinod Mishra; Fiscal Year: 2004..heating causes substantial ill health in developing countries where a majority of households rely on unprocessed biomass fuels such as wood, crop residues, and dung cakes, but research on this subject is limited and many uncertainties ..