Genomes and Genes
Summary: The largest of the continents. It was known to the Romans more specifically as what we know today as Asia Minor. The name comes from at least two possible sources: from the Assyrian asu (to rise) or from the Sanskrit usa (dawn), both with reference to its being the land of the rising sun, i.e., eastern as opposed to Europe, to the west. (From Webster's New Geographical Dictionary, 1988, p82 & Room, Brewer's Dictionary of Names, 1992, p34)
Publications363 found, 100 shown here
- Epidemiology and diagnostic approaches to vertebral fractures in AsiaAnnie W C Kung
Department of Medicine, University of Hong Kong, Queen Mary Hospital, 102 Pokfulam Road, Hong Kong, PR China
J Bone Miner Metab 22:170-5. 2004
- The prevalence of retinal vein occlusion: pooled data from population studies from the United States, Europe, Asia, and AustraliaSophie Rogers
Centre for Eye Research Australia, University of Melbourne, Royal Victorian Eye and Ear Hospital, Vic, Australia
Ophthalmology 117:313-9.e1. 2010To summarize the prevalence of retinal vein occlusion (RVO) from studies in the United States, Europe, Asia, and Australia.
- Diabetes in Asia: epidemiology, risk factors, and pathophysiologyJuliana C N Chan
Hong Kong Institute of Diabetes and Obesity, Department of Medicine, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong SAR, China
JAMA 301:2129-40. 2009With increasing globalization and East-West exchanges, the increasing epidemic of type 2 diabetes in Asia has far-reaching public health and socioeconomic implications.
- Re-evaluating the burden of rabies in Africa and AsiaDarryn L Knobel
Centre for Tropical Veterinary Medicine, Royal Dick School of Veterinary Studies, University of Edinburgh, Easter Bush, Roslin, Midlothian EH25 9RG, Scotland
Bull World Health Organ 83:360-8. 2005To quantify the public health and economic burden of endemic canine rabies in Africa and Asia.
- Epidemic obesity and type 2 diabetes in AsiaKun Ho Yoon
Divison of Endocrinology and Metabolism, College of Medicine, Catholic University of Korea, Seoul, Republic of Korea
Lancet 368:1681-8. 2006The proportions of people with type 2 diabetes and obesity have increased throughout Asia, and the rate of increase shows no sign of slowing...
- Screening for gastric cancer in Asia: current evidence and practiceWai K Leung
Institute of Digestive Disease, Chinese University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, China
Lancet Oncol 9:279-87. 2008Gastric cancer is the second most common cause of death from cancer in Asia. Although surgery is the standard treatment for this disease, early detection and treatment is the only way to reduce mortality...
- Increasing incidence of colorectal cancer in Asia: implications for screeningJoseph J Y Sung
Institute of Digestive Diseases, Chinese University of Hong Kong, Prince of Wales Hospital, Shatin, Hong Kong
Lancet Oncol 6:871-6. 2005..Although epidemiological data are scanty, most Asian populations are not aware of the growing problem of colorectal cancer. More work is needed to elucidate the magnitude of the problem in Asia.
- Diabetes in AsiaAmbady Ramachandran
India Diabetes Research Foundation and Dr A Ramachandran s Diabetes Hospitals, Chennai, India
Lancet 375:408-18. 2010..National strategies to raise public awareness about the disease and to improve standard of care and implementation of programmes for primary prevention are urgently needed...
- Method of delivery and pregnancy outcomes in Asia: the WHO global survey on maternal and perinatal health 2007-08Pisake Lumbiganon
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Faculty of Medicine, Khon Kaen University, Khon Kaen, Thailand
Lancet 375:490-9. 2010..aimed to estimate the rate of different methods of delivery and to examine the relation between method of delivery and maternal and perinatal outcomes in selected facilities in Africa and Latin America in 2004-05, and in Asia in 2007-08.
- Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease in the Asia-Pacific region: definitions and overview of proposed guidelinesShivakumar Chitturi
Gastroenterology and Hepatology Unit, The Canberra Hospital, Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Garran, Australia
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 22:778-87. 2007..The Asia-Pacific Working Party (APWP) for NAFLD was convened to collate evidence and deliberate these issues...
- Changing demography of prostate cancer in AsiaHong Gee Sim
Department of Urology, Singapore General Hospital, Outram Road, Singapore 169608, Singapore
Eur J Cancer 41:834-45. 2005There has been a recent trend in Asia towards increasing incidence of prostate cancer, with some low-risk regions, such as Japan and Singapore, reporting a more rapid increase than high-risk countries...
- Catastrophic payments for health care in AsiaEddy van Doorslaer
Department of Health Policy and Management, Erasmus University, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Health Econ 16:1159-84. 2007Out-of-pocket (OOP) payments are the principal means of financing health care throughout much of Asia. We estimate the magnitude and distribution of OOP payments for health care in fourteen countries and territories accounting for 81% of ..
- Contrasting genetic structure in Plasmodium vivax populations from Asia and South AmericaMallika Imwong
Department of Clinical Tropical Medicine, Faculty of Tropical Medicine, Mahidol University, Bangkok, Thailand
Int J Parasitol 37:1013-22. 2007..falciparum, and have important implications for the design of association mapping studies, and interpretation of P. vivax epidemiology...
- Effect of payments for health care on poverty estimates in 11 countries in Asia: an analysis of household survey dataEddy van Doorslaer
Department of Health Policy and Management, Erasmus University Medical Centre, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Lancet 368:1357-64. 2006..We aimed to reassess measures of poverty in 11 low-to-middle income countries in Asia by calculating total household resources both with and without out-of-pocket payments for health care.
- Asia Pacific consensus recommendations for colorectal cancer screeningJ J Y Sung
The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Prince of Wales Hospital, Shatin, NT, Hong Kong
Gut 57:1166-76. 2008Colorectal cancer (CRC) is rapidly increasing in Asia, but screening guidelines are lacking...
- Hepatocellular carcinoma in the Asia pacific regionMan Fung Yuen
Department of Medicine, The University of Hong Kong, Queen Mary Hospital, Hong Kong, China
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 24:346-53. 2009..It is among the top three causes of cancer death in the Asia Pacific region because of the high prevalence of its main etiological agents, chronic hepatitis B virus (HBV) and ..
- El Tor cholera with severe disease: a new threat to Asia and beyondA K Siddique
Public Health Sciences Division PHSD, International Centre for Diarrhoeal Disease Research, Dhaka, Bangladesh
Epidemiol Infect 138:347-52. 2010..However, if cholera due to strains with increased severity spread to other areas where treatment facilities are limited, there are likely to be many more cholera deaths...
- Burden of non-communicable diseases in South AsiaAbdul Ghaffar
Global Forum for Health Research, World Health Organization, 1211 Geneva 27, Switzerland
BMJ 328:807-10. 2004
- Genetic structure of the whitefly Bemisia tabaci in the Asia-Pacific region revealed using microsatellite markersP J De Barro
CSIRO Entomology, 120 Meiers Road, Indooroopilly 4068, Australia
Mol Ecol 14:3695-718. 2005..From earlier analyses of mitochondrial and ribosomal markers it has been concluded that in the Asia-Pacific region there were three major indigenous races as well as a large collection of genotypes with no clear ..
- Clinical implications of HIV and hepatitis B co-infection in Asia and AfricaChristopher J Hoffmann
Division of Infectious Diseases, Department of Medicine, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21231, USA
Lancet Infect Dis 7:402-9. 2007..liver disease and liver-related death worldwide, with the majority of these cases occurring in areas of Africa and Asia where HBV prevalence is high...
- Cardiovascular risk prediction tools for populations in AsiaF Barzi
J Epidemiol Community Health 61:115-21. 2007..Cardiovascular risk equations are traditionally derived from the Framingham Study. The accuracy of this approach in Asian populations, where resources for risk factor measurement may be limited, is unclear...
- Epidemiology of colorectal cancer in AsiaYuk Kei Yee
Medicare Endoscopy Centre, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 24:1810-6. 2009The prevalence of colorectal cancer is increasing in Asia. However, the age-standardized rate has reached a plateau in some countries...
- Practical difficulties in the management of hepatitis B in the Asia-Pacific regionRosmawati Mohamed
Department of Medicine, University Malaya, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 19:958-69. 2004The Asia-Pacific Expert Committee on Hepatitis B Management recently reviewed the impact of hepatitis B in the region and assessed the differences and similarities observed in the practical management of the disease in individual Asia-..
- What are the risk factors and settings for non-alcoholic fatty liver disease in Asia-Pacific?Jian Gao Fan
Center for Fatty Liver Disease, Shanghai First People s Hospital, Jiaotong University, Shanghai, China
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 22:794-800. 2007..studies using ultrasonography, case-control series and prospective longitudinal studies, the prevalence of NAFLD in Asia is between 12% and 24%, depending on age, gender, locality and ethnicity...
- Antimicrobial susceptibility among organisms from the Asia/Pacific Rim, Europe and Latin and North America collected as part of TEST and the in vitro activity of tigecyclineRalf Rene Reinert
Institute for Medical Microbiology, National Reference Centre for Streptococci, Aachen, Germany
J Antimicrob Chemother 60:1018-29. 2007To describe antimicrobial susceptibility among bacterial isolates associated with hospital infections collected from 266 centres in Asia/Pacific Rim (n = 1,947), North America (n = 24,283), Latin America (n = 1,957) and Europe (n = 8,796).
- Traces of human migrations in Helicobacter pylori populationsDaniel Falush
Department of Molecular Biology, Max Planck Institut für Infektionsbiologie, 10117 Berlin, Germany
Science 299:1582-5. 2003..These modern populations derive their gene pools from ancestral populations that arose in Africa, Central Asia, and East Asia...
- A systematic review of published evidence on intervention impact on condom use in sub-Saharan Africa and AsiaA M Foss
Department of Public Health and Policy, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, Keppel Street, London WC1E 7HT, UK
Sex Transm Infect 83:510-6. 2007..This review aims to quantify intervention impact on condom use in sub-Saharan Africa and Asia, in different types of partnership.
- Snake bite in South Asia: a reviewEmilie Alirol
Division of International and Humanitarian Medicine, Geneva University Hospitals, Geneva, Switzerland
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 4:e603. 2010..Because of serious misreporting, the true worldwide burden of snake bite is not known. South Asia is the world's most heavily affected region, due to its high population density, widespread agricultural activities,..
- An update on the epidemiology of inflammatory bowel disease in AsiaKelvin T Thia
Miles and Shirley Fiterman Center for Digestive Diseases, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
Am J Gastroenterol 103:3167-82. 2008A rising trend in the incidence and prevalence of inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) in Asia has been recognized for the past two decades...
- A common MYBPC3 (cardiac myosin binding protein C) variant associated with cardiomyopathies in South AsiaPerundurai S Dhandapany
Department of Biochemistry, Madurai Kamaraj University, Madurai 625 021, India
Nat Genet 41:187-91. 2009..The finding of a common risk factor implicated in South Asian subjects with cardiomyopathy will help in identifying and counseling individuals predisposed to cardiac diseases in this region...
- The effects of diabetes on the risks of major cardiovascular diseases and death in the Asia-Pacific regionM Woodward
Diabetes Care 26:360-6. 2003To provide reliable age- and region-specific estimates of the associations between diabetes and major cardiovascular diseases and death in populations from the Asia-Pacific region.
- Blood pressure and cardiovascular disease in the Asia Pacific regionC M M Lawes
J Hypertens 21:707-16. 2003..To estimate age-, sex- and region-specific associations of blood pressure with cardiovascular diseases...
- Public Health and Air Pollution in Asia (PAPA): a multicity study of short-term effects of air pollution on mortalityChit Ming Wong
Department of Community Medicine, School of Public Health, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong Special Administrative Region, China
Environ Health Perspect 116:1195-202. 2008..from fossil fuel combustion have been demonstrated in many Western nations, fewer studies have been conducted in Asia. The Public Health and Air Pollution in Asia (PAPA) project assessed the effects of short-term exposure to air ..
- Snake-bites: appraisal of the global situationJ P Chippaux
Centre de Recherches sur les Meningites et les Schistosomiases, Niamey, Niger
Bull World Health Organ 76:515-24. 1998..The present article is an attempt to draw the attention of health authorities to snake envenomations and urges them to prepare therapeutic protocols adapted to their needs...
- Overland heroin trafficking routes and HIV-1 spread in south and south-east AsiaC Beyrer
Johns Hopkins University School of Hygiene and Public Health, Baltimore, Maryland 21205, USA
AIDS 14:75-83. 2000..molecular epidemiology studies of HIV-1, and epidemiologic and behavioral studies of injecting drug use, to evaluate the roles that the heroin export routes play in the spread of drug use and HIV-1 in south and south-east Asia.
- Cardiovascular epidemiology in the Asia-Pacific regionG L Khor
Department of Nutrition and Health Sciences, Faculty, of Medicine and Health Sciences, Universiti Putra Malaysia, Serdang
Asia Pac J Clin Nutr 10:76-80. 2001..As a proportion of total deaths from all-causes, CVD in the Asia Pacific region ranges from less than 20% in countries such as Thailand, Philippines and Indonesia to 20-30% in ..
- Isolation of novel ultramicrobacteria classified as actinobacteria from five freshwater habitats in Europe and AsiaMartin W Hahn
Institute for Limnology, Austrian Academy of Sciences, Mondseestrasse 9, A 5310 Mondsee, Austria
Appl Environ Microbiol 69:1442-51. 2003..Nine ultramicro-size (<0.1 microm(3)) strains were isolated from five freshwater habitats in Europe and Asia. These habitats represent a broad spectrum of ecosystems, ranging from deep oligotrophic lakes to shallow ..
- Confronting the neglected problem of snake bite envenoming: the need for a global partnershipJose Maria Gutierrez
Instituto Clodomiro Picado, Facultad de Microbiologia, Universidad de Costa Rica, San Jose, Costa Rica
PLoS Med 3:e150. 2006
- Rapid Asia-Europe-North America geographic dispersal of earliest Eocene primate Teilhardina during the Paleocene-Eocene Thermal MaximumThierry Smith
Department of Paleontology, Royal Belgian Institute of Natural Sciences, 29 Rue Vautier, B 1000 Brussels, Belgium
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103:11223-7. 2006..Analysis of morphological characteristics of all four species supports an Asian origin and a westward Asia-to-Europe-to-North America dispersal for Teilhardina...
- The high burden of cholera in children: comparison of incidence from endemic areas in Asia and AfricaJacqueline L Deen
International Vaccine Institute, Seoul, Korea
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 2:e173. 2008..Cholera remains an important public health problem. Yet there are few reliable population-based estimates of laboratory-confirmed cholera incidence in endemic areas around the world...
- Epidemiology of inflammatory bowel disease in AsiaAjit Sood
Dayanand Medical College and Hospital, Ludhiana 141 001, India
Indian J Gastroenterol 26:285-9. 2007..Though good epidemiological studies are available from the West, still the information available from Asia is inadequate. This article is a review of the available epidemiological studies from Asia...
- Treatment of chronic hepatitis C in Asia: when East meets WestMing Lung Yu
Hepatobiliary Division, Department of Internal Medicine, Kaohsiung Medical University Hospital, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 24:336-45. 2009..for chronic hepatitis C virus (HCV) infection is in constant flux, not only in Western countries but also in Asia. Currently, pegylated-interferon plus ribavirin is the standard of care...
- Prevalence and clonality of extended-spectrum beta-lactamases in AsiaP M Hawkey
Division of Immunity and Infection, University of Birmingham, Birmingham and Health Protection Agency, West Midlands Public Health Laboratory, Birmingham Heart of England NHS Trust, Bordesley Green East, Birmingham, UK
Clin Microbiol Infect 14:159-65. 2008b>Asia is almost certainly a part of the world in which extended-spectrum beta-lactamases (ESBLs) have emerged de novo, with some early antimicrobial resistance studies showing high levels of the ESBL phenotype, particularly among ..
- Current status of cholesterol goal attainment after statin therapy among patients with hypercholesterolemia in Asian countries and region: the Return on Expenditure Achieved for Lipid Therapy in Asia (REALITY-Asia) studyHyo Soo Kim
Seoul National University Hospital, Seoul, South Korea
Curr Med Res Opin 24:1951-63. 2008Data on achieving National Cholesterol Education Program Adult Treatment Panel III (ATP III) goals in Asia are limited.
- Temperature dependence, spatial scale, and tree species diversity in eastern Asia and North AmericaZhiheng Wang
Department of Ecology, College of Urban and Environmental Sciences and Laboratory for Earth Surface Processes, Peking University, Beijing 100871, China
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 106:13388-92. 2009..Here we use 2 comparable databases of tree distributions in eastern Asia and North America to investigate the roles of environmental temperature and spatial scale in shaping geographical ..
- Antimicrobial susceptibility of Gram-positive bacterial isolates from the Asia-Pacific region and an in vitro evaluation of the bactericidal activity of daptomycin, vancomycin, and teicoplanin: a SENTRY Program Report (2003-2004)Douglas J Biedenbach
JMI Laboratories, 345 Beaver Kreek Centre, Suite A, North Liberty, IA 52317, USA
Int J Antimicrob Agents 30:143-9. 2007Medical centres in eight countries in the Asia-Pacific region provided 2391 isolates for the SENTRY Antimicrobial Surveillance Program during 2003-2004 to determine their susceptibility to several antimicrobial classes, including ..
- Antiretroviral therapy in resource-limited settings 1996 to 2006: patient characteristics, treatment regimens and monitoring in sub-Saharan Africa, Asia and Latin AmericaOlivia Keiser
Institute of Social and Preventive Medicine ISPM, University of Bern, Finkenhubelweg 11, 3012 Bern, Switzerland
Trop Med Int Health 13:870-9. 2008..To describe temporal trends in baseline clinical characteristics, initial treatment regimens and monitoring of patients starting antiretroviral therapy (ART) in resource-limited settings...
- Comparing modelled predictions of neonatal mortality impacts using LiST with observed results of community-based intervention trials in South AsiaIngrid K Friberg
Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Department of International Health, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Int J Epidemiol 39:i11-20. 2010..The Lives Saved Tool (LiST) is designed to facilitate programmatic prioritization by modelling mortality reductions related to increasing coverage of specific interventions which may be combined into packages...
- Vibrio cholerae O1 hybrid El Tor strains, Asia and AfricaAshrafus Safa
Emerg Infect Dis 14:987-8. 2008
- Smokeless tobacco and health in India and South AsiaPrakash C Gupta
Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, Homi Bhabha Road, Colaba, Mumbai, India
Respirology 8:419-31. 2003South Asia is a major producer and net exporter of tobacco. Over one-third of tobacco consumed regionally is smokeless...
- Prevalence of cardiovascular disease risk factor clustering among the adult population of China: results from the International Collaborative Study of Cardiovascular Disease in Asia (InterAsia)Dongfeng Gu
Cardiovascular Institute, Fu Wai Hospital, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences and Peking Union Medial College, Beijing, China
Circulation 112:658-65. 2005..The prevalence of cardiovascular disease (CVD) risk factors has been increasing in China...
- Adult height and the risks of cardiovascular disease and major causes of death in the Asia-Pacific region: 21,000 deaths in 510,000 men and womenCrystal Man Ying Lee
The George Institute for International Health, University of Sydney, Sydney, NSW, Australia
Int J Epidemiol 38:1060-71. 2009..We sought to determine the sex- and region-specific associations between height and cardiovascular outcomes, and deaths due to cancer, respiratory and injury in populations from the Asia-Pacific region.
- Cancer survival in Africa, Asia, and Central America: a population-based studyRengaswamy Sankaranarayanan
Screening Group, International Agency for Research on Cancer, Lyon, France
Lancet Oncol 11:165-73. 2010..cancer survival data, a key indicator for monitoring progress against cancer, are not widely available from countries in Africa, Asia, and Central America. The aim of this study is to describe and discuss cancer survival in these regions.
- Gastro-oesophageal reflux disease in AsiaK L Goh
Department of Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Malaya, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 15:230-8. 2000Gastro-oesophageal reflux disease (GORD) occurs more frequently in Europe and North America than in Asia but its prevalence is now increasing in many Asian countries. Many reasons have been given for the lower prevalence of GORD in Asia...
- The burden of influenza in East and South-East Asia: a review of the English language literatureJames M Simmerman
Thailand MOPH U S CDC Collaboration, Department of Disease Control, Ministry of Public Health, Nonthaburi, Thailand
Influenza Other Respir Viruses 2:81-92. 2008While human infections with avian influenza A (H5NI) viruses in Asia have prompted concerns about an influenza pandemic, the burden of human influenza in East and Southeast Asia has received far less attention...
- The ecology and epidemiology of West Nile virus in Africa, Europe and AsiaB Murgue
Institut Pasteur, Centre de Référence des Arbovirus et Fièvres Hémorragiques Virales, Unité de Biologie des Infections Virales Emergentes, Lyon, France
Curr Top Microbiol Immunol 267:195-221. 2002
- Blood glucose and risk of cardiovascular disease in the Asia Pacific regionC M M Lawes
Diabetes Care 27:2836-42. 2004....
- The TREAT Asia HIV Observational Database: baseline and retrospective dataJialun Zhou
National Centre in HIV Epidemiology and Clinical Research, The University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 38:174-9. 2005..The Therapeutics Research, Education, and AIDS Training in Asia (TREAT Asia) HIV Observational Database (TAHOD) is a recently established collaborative observational cohort study ..
- A statistical evaluation of models for the initial settlement of the american continent emphasizes the importance of gene flow with AsiaN Ray
Institute of Ecology and Evolution, University of Bern, Switzerland
Mol Biol Evol 27:337-45. 2010..the American continent, there is considerable uncertainty regarding the timing and pattern of human migration from Asia to America...
- Cerebrovascular pathology and dementia in autopsied Honolulu-Asia Aging Study participantsLon White
Kuakini Medical Center, 846 S Hotel Street, Honolulu, HI 96813, USA
Ann N Y Acad Sci 977:9-23. 2002..The decedents were long-standing participants in the Honolulu-Asia Aging Study, a prospective epidemiologic investigation of stroke, neurodegenerative diseases, and aging...
- Asia-Pacific consensus on the management of gastroesophageal reflux disease: updateKwong Ming Fock
Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Medicine, Changi General Hospital, Singapore
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 23:8-22. 2008Since the publication of the Asia-Pacific GERD consensus in 2004, more data concerning the epidemiology and management of gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) have emerged. An evidence based review and update was needed.
- Vitamin D status and nutrition in Europe and AsiaP Lips
VU University Medical Center, Department of Endocrinology, P O Box 7057, 1007 MB Amsterdam, Netherlands
J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol 103:620-5. 2007Vitamin D status is highly different in various countries of Europe, the Middle East and Asia. For this review, vitamin D deficiency is defined as serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D (25(OH)D) <25 nmol/l...
- African origin of modern humans in East Asia: a tale of 12,000 Y chromosomesY Ke
State Key Laboratory of Genetic Engineering, Institute of Genetics, School of Life Sciences, Fudan University, 220 Handan Road, Shanghai, China
Science 292:1151-3. 2001To test the hypotheses of modern human origin in East Asia, we sampled 12,127 male individuals from 163 populations and typed for three Y chromosome biallelic markers (YAP, M89, and M130)...
- Molecular, serological, and virulence characteristics of Vibrio parahaemolyticus isolated from environmental, food, and clinical sources in North America and AsiaAngelo DePaola
Gulf Coast Seafood Laboratory, U S Food and Drug Administration, Dauphin Island, AL 36528, USA
Appl Environ Microbiol 69:3999-4005. 2003..and food sources on the Pacific, Atlantic, and Gulf Coasts of the United States and from clinical sources in Asia. The food and environmental isolates were generally from oysters, and they were defined as being pathogenic by ..
- Burden of infectious diseases in South AsiaAnita K M Zaidi
Department of Paediatrics, Aga Khan University, Karachi 74800, Pakistan
BMJ 328:811-5. 2004
- Hypertension and kidney disease in AsiaTazeen H Jafar
Section of Nephrology, Department of Medicine, Aga Khan University, Karachi, Pakistan
Curr Opin Nephrol Hypertens 15:291-5. 2006..The purpose of the review was to examine recent evidence about the burden and factors associated with hypertension and chronic kidney disease (CKD) in Asian countries...
- Establishment and characterization of Asian oral cancer cell lines as in vitro models to study a disease prevalent in AsiaSharifah Hamid
Cancer Research Initiatives Foundation CARIF, 2nd Floor Outpatient Centre, Subang Jaya Medical Centre, 47500 Subang Jaya, Selangor, Malaysia
Int J Mol Med 19:453-60. 2007....
- How common is non-alcoholic fatty liver disease in the Asia-Pacific region and are there local differences?Deepak N Amarapurkar
Bombay Hospital and Medical Research Center, Mumbai, India
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 22:788-93. 2007..in North America and Europe, but until recently was thought to be uncommon (perhaps due to the lack of study) in Asia. Fatty liver can be identified on imaging modalities (ultrasonography, computed tomography scans, and magnetic ..
- Newborn screening in the Asia Pacific regionCarmencita D Padilla
Department of Pediatrics, College of Medicine, and Institute of Human Genetics, National Institutes of Health, University of the Philippines Manila, Manila, Philippines
J Inherit Metab Dis 30:490-506. 2007The success of blood spot newborn screening in the USA led to early screening efforts in parts of the Asia Pacific Region in the mid-1960s...
- Immunogenicity and safety of pneumococcal 7-valent conjugate vaccine (diphtheria CRM(197) protein conjugate; Prevenar ) in Korean infants: differences that are found in Asian childrenNam Hee Kim
Department of Pediatrics, Seoul National University College of Medicine, Seoul, Republic of Korea
Vaccine 25:7858-65. 2007..Thus, PCV7 appears safe and highly immunogenic in Korean infants, and adopting two doses for a primary series could be a feasible option for facilitating vaccine coverage rate...
- On the origin and spread of the Scab disease of apple: out of central AsiaPierre Gladieux
UMR077, INRA, Angers, France
PLoS ONE 3:e1455. 2008..Analysis of the variation of genetic markers using the inferential framework of population genetics offers the potential to retrieve this information...
- The Public Health and Air Pollution in Asia (PAPA) Project: estimating the mortality effects of particulate matter in Bangkok, ThailandNuntavarn Vichit-Vadakan
Faculty of Public Health, Thammasat University, Rangsit Campus, Klongluang, Pathumthani, Thailand
Environ Health Perspect 116:1179-82. 2008..It is important, therefore, to determine whether the large metropolitan area of Bangkok is subject to similar effects of PM(10)...
- Overview of the disease burden of invasive pneumococcal disease in AsiaL C Bravo
National Institute of Health, University of the Philippines Manila, 623 Pedro Gil Street, Ermita 1000 Manila, Philippines
Vaccine 27:7282-91. 2009..This paper confirms that data regarding the incidence of IPD in Asia are grossly lacking and reinforces the need for urgent and more substantial studies.
- Taenia solium taeniosis/cysticercosis in Asia: epidemiology, impact and issuesVedantam Rajshekhar
Department of Neurological Sciences, Christian Medical College Hospital, Vellore 632 004, India
Acta Trop 87:53-60. 2003Several reports of patients with cysticercosis from many countries in Asia such as India, China, Indonesia, Thailand, Korea, Taiwan and Nepal are a clear indicator of the wide prevalence of Taenia solium cysticercosis and taeniosis in ..
- Changing trends of prostate cancer in AsiaY S Pu
Department of Urology, National Taiwan University Hospital and National Taiwan University College of Medicine, Taipei, Taiwan
Aging Male 7:120-32. 2004..Both genetic and environmental risk factors responsible for elevated risks in Asian people are being identified, which may help to reduce prostate cancer incidence in a chemopreventive setting...
- Analysis of genetic variability within Thelazia callipaeda (Nematoda: Thelazioidea) from Europe and Asia by sequencing and mutation scanning of the mitochondrial cytochrome c oxidase subunit 1 geneD Otranto
Department of Animal Health and Welfare, University of Bari, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, P O Box 7, Str Prov per Casamassima Km3, 70010 Valenzano, Bari, Italy
Mol Cell Probes 19:306-13. 2005..investigated genetic variability within the 'eyeworm'Thelazia callipaeda (Nematoda: Thelazioidea) from Europe and Asia by polymerase chain reaction (PCR)-coupled sequencing and mutation scanning of the mitochondrial cytochrome c ..
- Prevalence of illicit drug use in Asia and the PacificMadonna L Devaney
Centre for Harm Reduction, Burnet Institute, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Drug Alcohol Rev 26:97-102. 2007This paper reports on the prevalence of drug use in Asia and the Pacific...
- Guidelines for the assessment and management of non-alcoholic fatty liver disease in the Asia-Pacific region: executive summaryGeoffrey C Farrell
Gastroenterology and Hepatology Unit, The Canberra Hospital, Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Garran, Australia
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 22:775-7. 2007
- Identification and characterization of a vancomycin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus isolated from Kolkata (South Asia)Biswajit Saha
Microbiology Laboratory, Department of Physiology, University College of Science, Technology and Agriculture, University of Calcutta, Kolkata, India
J Med Microbiol 57:72-9. 2008..This is believed to be the first Indian S. aureus isolate that has been shown to be phenotypically vancomycin-resistant, presumably due to a vanHAX analogue...
- The rise of methamphetamine in Southeast and East AsiaRebecca McKetin
National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre, University of New South Wales, Australia
Drug Alcohol Rev 27:220-8. 2008Southeast and East Asia has become a global hub for methamphetamine production and trafficking over the past decade. This paper describes the rise of methamphetamine supply and to what extent use of the drug is occurring in the region.
- Leptospirosis in the Asia Pacific regionAnn Florence B Victoriano
Department of Medical Microbiology, University of the Philippines, College of Public Health, Manila, Philippines
BMC Infect Dis 9:147. 2009..It describes the current trends in the epidemiology of leptospirosis, the existing surveillance systems, and presents the existing prevention and control programs in the Asia Pacific region.
- How relevant is breast cancer screening in the Asia/Pacific region?S M Tan
Department of Surgery, Head, Breast Service, Changi General Hospital, 2 Simei Street 3, Singapore 529889
Breast 16:113-9. 2007..Many studies have shown its benefit in mortality reduction. However, breast cancer screening in Asia has been slow to implement, as it was perceived that the breast cancer incidence was low and the parenchyma of ..
- A survey of the practice of electroconvulsive therapy in AsiaWorrawat Chanpattana
Department of Psychiatry, Samitivej Srinakarin Hospital, Bangkok, Thailand
J ECT 26:5-10. 2010To describe a comprehensive survey of the practice of electroconvulsive therapy (ECT) in Asia.
- Out of Africa again and againAlan Templeton
Department of Biology, Washington University, St Louis, Missouri 63130 4899, USA
Nature 416:45-51. 2002..Second is the ubiquity of genetic interchange between human populations, both in terms of recurrent gene flow constrained by geographical distance and of major population expansion events resulting in interbreeding, not replacement...
- Prevalence, awareness, treatment and control of hypertension in North America, North Africa and AsiaP K Whelton
Department of Epidemiology, Tulane University School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine, New Orleans, LA, USA
J Hum Hypertens 18:545-51. 2004..National surveys conducted in a variety of countries in North America, Europe, Australia, Asia and Africa have identified a strikingly similar relationship between age and blood pressure (BP), with a ..
- Diverse contexts of zoonotic transmission of simian foamy viruses in AsiaLisa Jones-Engel
Division of International Programs, National Primate Research Center, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 98195, USA
Emerg Infect Dis 14:1200-8. 2008In Asia, contact between persons and nonhuman primates is widespread in multiple occupational and nonoccupational contexts. Simian foamy viruses (SFVs) are retroviruses that are prevalent in all species of nonhuman primates...
- Multiple origins of foot-and-mouth disease virus serotype Asia 1 outbreaks, 2003-2007Jean Francois Valarcher
Institute for Animal Health, Pirbright, UK
Emerg Infect Dis 15:1046-51. 2009We investigated the molecular epidemiology of foot-and-mouth disease virus (FMDV) serotype Asia 1, which caused outbreaks of disease in Asia during 2003-2007...
- Prevalence of celiac disease in the Asia-Pacific regionAdrian G Cummins
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, The Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 24:1347-51. 2009..In the Asia-Pacific region, prevalence has been determined in only a minority of countries but those with prevalence rates of 1:..
- The status of diabetes control in Asia--a cross-sectional survey of 24 317 patients with diabetes mellitus in 1998L M Chuang
Department of Internal Medicine, National Taiwan University Hospital, Taipei
Diabet Med 19:978-85. 2002To establish the status of diabetes control in Asia, the Diabcare-Asia 198 study collected data from 230 diabetes centres in Bangladesh, People's Republic of China, India, Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, South Korea, Sri ..
- Deep-vein thrombosis rates after major orthopedic surgery in Asia. An epidemiological study based on postoperative screening with centrally adjudicated bilateral venographyF Piovella
UO Malattie Tromboemboliche, Sevizio Malattie Tromboemboliche, IRCCS Policlinico San Matteo, Pavia, Italy
J Thromb Haemost 3:2664-70. 2005..The incidence of postsurgical venous thromboembolism is thought to be low in Asian ethnic populations...
- The 100% condom use programme in AsiaWiwat Rojanapithayakorn
World Health Organization China, Beijing, China
Reprod Health Matters 14:41-52. 2006..The 100% Condom Use Programmes in Thailand and Cambodia, which are being implemented on a nationwide basis, are the main reason for the decline in the HIV epidemic. Scaling-up of activities is taking place in all other six countries...
- Who pays for health care in Asia?Owen O'Donnell
Department of Balkan, Slavic and Oriental Studies, University of Macedonia, 156 Egnatia Street, Thessaloniki 54006, Greece
J Health Econ 27:460-75. 2008..But in most low-/middle-income countries, the better-off not only pay more, they also get more health care...
- Role of domestic ducks in the propagation and biological evolution of highly pathogenic H5N1 influenza viruses in AsiaD J Hulse-Post
Division of Virology, Department of Infectious Diseases, St Jude Children s Research Hospital, Memphis, TN 38105, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 102:10682-7. 2005..These results suggest that the duck has become the "Trojan horse" of Asian H5N1 influenza viruses. The ducks that are unaffected by infection with these viruses continue to circulate these viruses, presenting a pandemic threat...
- Care-seeking practices in South Asia: using formative research to design program interventions to save newborn livesU Syed
Saving Newborn Lives, Save the Children, Washington, DC 20036, USA
J Perinatol 28:S9-13. 2008....
- Epidemiology of inflammatory bowel disease in AsiaS K Yang
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Ulsan College of Medicine and Asan Medical Center, Seoul, South Korea
Inflamm Bowel Dis 7:260-70. 2001Studies of Asians in Asia show relatively low incidence rates for ulcerative colitis and Crohn's disease compared with North America and Europe...
- Mitochondrial sequence reveals high levels of gene flow between breeds of domestic sheep from Asia and EuropeJ R S Meadows
CSIRO Livestock Industries, Level 5 Queensland Bioscience Precinct, 306 Carmody Rd, St Lucia 4067, Australia
J Hered 96:494-501. 2005..present within the mitochondrial genome was used to investigate genetic diversity within sheep breeds from Asia and Europe...
- Genotyping and phylogenetic analysis of Yersinia pestis by MLVA: insights into the worldwide expansion of Central Asia plague fociYanjun Li
Laboratory of Analytical Microbiology, State Key Laboratory of Pathogen and Biosecurity, Institute of Microbiology and Epidemiology, Beijing, China
PLoS ONE 4:e6000. 2009..the three classical biovars of different geographical distributions were suggested to originate from Central Asia. Most investigations so far have focused on the typical pestis subspecies representatives found outside of China, ..
- Effect of maternal mental health on infant growth in low income countries: new evidence from South AsiaVikram Patel
London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, and Sangath, Goa, India
BMJ 328:820-3. 2004
- Malaria in travelers: a review of the GeoSentinel surveillance networkKarin Leder
Victorian Infectious Diseases Service, Royal Melbourne Hospital, Parkville, Victoria, Australia
Clin Infect Dis 39:1104-12. 2004..Malaria is a common and important infection in travelers...
- Phylogenetic analysis of rabbit haemorrhagic disease virus strains from the Arabian Peninsula: did RHDV emerge simultaneously in Europe and Asia?N L Forrester
Centre for Ecology and Hydrology formerly Institute of Virology, Mansfield Road, Oxford OX1 3SR, UK
Virology 344:277-82. 2006....
- Strategy for treatment of nonerosive reflux disease in AsiaToru Hiyama
Health Service Center, Hiroshima University, 1 7 1 Kagamiyama, Higashihiroshima 739 8521, Japan
World J Gastroenterol 14:3123-8. 2008..NERD) and reflux esophagitis (RE), and to propose a treatment strategy for NERD, especially for patients in Asia. A Medline search was performed regarding the clinical and pathophysiologic differences between NERD and RE, and ..
- N-methanocarbathymidine (N-MCT) for the Treatment of Herpes and Pox Virus InfectiAquilur Rahman; Fiscal Year: 2010..This is particularly true in India and Southeast Asia where HIV and HSV infection rates are climbing, and thus on a global scale, there will be a large demand for new ..
- A unique approach to identify markers for congenital syphilis and neurosyphilisNikhat Parveen; Fiscal Year: 2010..have become rare in the Western countries but they remain a problem in underdeveloped countries of Africa, Central Asia and Eastern Europe...
- Regulation of the Vibrio cholerae intestinal exit planANISIA J SILVA BENITEZ; Fiscal Year: 2010..PUBLIC HEALTH RELEVANCE: Cholera continues to cause seasonal outbreaks in highly populated regions in Asia, Africa and Latin America...
- Vitamin A adjuvant to enhance gut immunity and rotavirus vaccines in neonatesLinda J Saif; Fiscal Year: 2010..provided by applicant): Rotavirus (RV) causes diarrhea in infants worldwide with most deaths in Africa and Asia. Newly licensed oral RV vaccines have unproven or lower efficacies in infants in impoverished countries...
- ANALYSIS OF TRYPANOSOME MRNA SYNTHESIS BY GENE TRANSFERVivian Bellofatto; Fiscal Year: 2010..Approximately 11 million people are afflicted with Chagas'disease and 45,000 people die yearly. In South Asia, South America, and the Middle-East, a closely related group of parasites, the Leishmania, cause debilitating and ..
- Severe H1N1 Influenza Infection During Pregnancy: Pathophysiologic MechanismsMark Phillippe; Fiscal Year: 2010..During May and early June, this novel H1N1 infection spread to multiple other countries in the Americas, Europe, Asia, the Middle East, and the Pacific basin, resulting in the World Health Organization (WHO) increasing its influenza ..
- April N Herrity; Fiscal Year: 2014..the vagus nerve as a potential source of phantom sensations that arise from below the level of a "clinically" (ASIA criteria) as well as an "anatomically" complete SCI with the hope of providing a novel therapeutic target for SCI ..
- Edward J Pearce; Fiscal Year: 2016..programs, schistosomiasis remains a very significant cause of human disease in Africa, The Middle East, Asia and South America...
- A novel allele influencing HIV infection among injection drug usersXiao Fang Yu; Fiscal Year: 2012..HIV infection in injection drug users (IDUs) also represents a growing problem in southeast Asia and eastern Europe: In China, IDUs account for more than 50% of HIV-1 infections...
- Green Tea and Reduction of Breast Cancer RiskMINDY SUSAN KURZER; Fiscal Year: 2013..HEALTH RELEVANCE: Breast cancer is a leading cause of death in Western countries and incidence is increasing in Asia. This targeted nutrition intervention study will help clarify the mechanisms by which green tea lowers breast ..
- Endemic maintenance of relapsing fever genotypes.Michael Bela Teglas; Fiscal Year: 2013..disease long associated with poverty and human suffering in areas of social disruption across Africa and Asia. In the western U.S...
- Sanjay Tyagi; Fiscal Year: 2016..infected with the TB bacteria, with the highest concentration of new cases in resource-poor areas of South-East Asia and sub-Saharan Africa...
- INTERNATIONAL GENETIC EPIDEMIOLOGY OF ORAL CLEFTSTerri H Beaty; Fiscal Year: 2013..German case-control study through combined analysis followed by fine mapping of new case-parent trios from the US, Asia, Germany and Ireland...
- Tb-FISH (Fluorescent in Situ Hybridization) Assay for Direct Detection of M. tubeJYOTSNA S SHAH; Fiscal Year: 2010..Tuberculosis is the disease of the poor. Over one-third of the world's population (mostly in Africa and Asia) is at risk. The only means of identification of MTB is by microscopic examination of acid-fast stained smears...
- Peptide inhbitors of influenza entry-FAST TRACKRussell B Wilson; Fiscal Year: 2011..First detected in Thailand, Vietnam and other countries in Southeast Asia, this strain of "bird flu" has now spread too many parts of the world...
- Malaria and the safety of iron interventions: absorption and NTBIGary M Brittenham; Fiscal Year: 2012..Our research will be based in southeast Asia, where nearly one billion people are now exposed to malaria and 25% of the world's clinical attacks of malaria ..
- Jason P Mulvenna; Fiscal Year: 2016..a strong risk factor for cholangiocarcinoma (CCA), bile duct cancer, in Thailand, Laos and other locations in East Asia where infection is endemic...
- Academic-Community Partnerships to Brdge Across the U.S. Pacific IslandsAlice Tse; Fiscal Year: 2012..Relevance: The USAPI are the gateway to the Pacific and Asia for the US, and are strategically important in terms of military, health and commerce affairs...
- Molecular probes for a vOTU from CCHFV using a fluorogenic peptideSCOTT DUSAN PEGAN; Fiscal Year: 2013..Originally identified in Russia and the Congo, CCHF has rapidly spread across large sections of Europe, Asia, and Africa. Recently, U.S...
- Chinese American Eye StudyRohit Varma; Fiscal Year: 2013..There are known to be significant racial/ethnic variations in the burden of eye disease, and studies from East Asia suggest that Asians have a spectrum of eye diseases different from that of whites, African Americans, and Latinos...
- Effect of a sanitation &nutrition intervention on HIV-exposed infant healthJEAN HAWES HUMPHREY; Fiscal Year: 2012..this period, mean weight-for-age-Z scores (WAZ) and length-for-age-Z-scores (LAZ) of children living in Africa and Asia plummet to -1.5 to -2.5, followed by little or no recovery thereafter...
- Molecular epidemiology of drug resistance and population genetic structure of PlaFangli Lu; Fiscal Year: 2013..However, most of the attention in terms of research and interventions have been focused in Africa and Southeast Asia, very few studies of malaria in China have been conducted...
- Development of a Chloroquine Replacement DrugMICHAEL KEVIN RISCOE; Fiscal Year: 2010..In some areas of the world, especially in SE Asia, multidrug resistance has forced an absolute reliance on the endoperoxide artesunate for treatment of malaria - a ..
- Development of Cross Protective H5 Hemagglutinin AntigensSusan C Bock; Fiscal Year: 2010Highly pathogenic avian H5N1 influenza viruses circulating endemically in poultry of southeast Asia have recently been disseminated across the globe by wild migratory birds...
- Anthony P Cannella; Fiscal Year: 2016..deployable malaria vaccine, and the prevalence of drug-resistant malaria is increasing throughout Africa, Asia and South America, which has been associated with an increase in morbidity and mortality...
- Benjamin H Chi; Fiscal Year: 2016..17 primary research training sites in Africa (Ghana, Malawi, South Africa (2), Swaziland, Uganda (2), Zambia), Asia (Bangladesh, China (3), India, Thailand) and South America (Argentina, Brazil, Peru)...
- JOHN JOSEPH MEKALANOS; Fiscal Year: 2015..Cholera epidemics occur with seasonal regularity in endemic areas, such as the Ganges Delta region of South Asia. Cholera epidemics in 2010 in Africa, Pakistan, and Haiti remind us that further investigation of this disease is ..
- Sleep Disordered Breathing and Passive Limb Movement in Children with ParaplegiaMarlyn Woo; Fiscal Year: 2013..will perform overnight polysomnography on 26 pediatric and young adults with complete thoracic spinal cord injury (ASIA A paraplegia, age 12-25 years), earlier screened to show SDB, who will be randomized to undergo passive limb (hand) ..
- Stephen Obaro; Fiscal Year: 2015..In Africa and South Asia, young children represent a subgroup with the highest disease burden...
- Developing a Paramyxovirus-based H5N1 VaccineBiao He; Fiscal Year: 2012..This avian influenza virus has most notably emerged in Southeast Asia and resulted in the destruction of millions of birds, infected 309 people, caused 187 human fatalities since 2003 (..
- Evaluation of the Effects of Chikungunya N-linked Glycosylation on PathogenesisCHARLES EDWIN MCGEE; Fiscal Year: 2013..of CHIKV has resulted in millions of human infections in Africa, the Indian Ocean islands, India, and Southeast Asia [3-9] as well as the importation of human cases into the United States, the Caribbean, and Europe ...
- Health and Retirement Survey for IndiaDavid Bloom; Fiscal Year: 2009..that is conceptually comparable to that of the Health and Retirement Study (HRS) and its sister surveys in Asia (i.e...
- Christopher V Plowe; Fiscal Year: 2014..is coordinating an aggressive effort to contain artemisinin resistant Plasmodium falciparum malaria in Southeast Asia before it spreads from its recent site of emergence in Western Cambodia...
- Aspheric SDOCT Imaging System for Dry Eye and Cornea DiagnosticsERIC L BUCKLAND; Fiscal Year: 2012..S. population over age 50, and is even more prevalent in the Asia Pacific. Dry eye therapies are currently a $1.7B market, growing at 10% annually...
- Jason A Carlyon; Fiscal Year: 2014..provided by applicant): Scrub typhus is a neglected disease that threatens the 1 billion inhabitants of the Asia-Pacific rim and causes 1 million new infections annually. Its mortality rate can be as high as 50%...
- Novel Tetravalent Vaccines for Dengue VirusROBERT GERALD WHALEN; Fiscal Year: 2013..States, it is endemic in Puerto Rico, and in many popular tourist destinations in Latin America and Southeast Asia. Vaccines are therefore also required for individuals traveling to areas where dengue is endemic...
- Alum-absorbed subunit vaccine to prevent intestinal amebiasisDavid M Lyerly; Fiscal Year: 2012..low infectious dose and food and water-bone transmission, and an important cause of diarrhea in children in Africa, Asia and Latin America. The candidate vaccine antigen is the LecA domain of the E...
- Impact of Sunflower Oil Massage on Neonatal Mortality in NepalLuke C Mullany; Fiscal Year: 2013..relative to massage with mustard oil, which is provided almost universally to tens of millions of newborns in South Asia each year...
- Establishment of a bioresource for discovery and evaluation of genetic and otherDanish Saleheen; Fiscal Year: 2010..is a nascent bioresource in Pakistan that aims to study of the genetic and other determinants of stroke in South Asia. Support of the current R21 grant application will enable: (i) expansion of RACE to include 2500 imaging confirmed ..
- Markers of the metabolic syndrome linking type 2 diabetes and MI in South AsiaDanish Saleheen; Fiscal Year: 2010..epidemic of type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM) is expected to worsen over the coming decades, particularly in South Asia where the number of people with T2DM is projected to reach almost 100M by 2030...
- Mechanisms of sylvatic dengue emergenceScott C Weaver; Fiscal Year: 2011..evidence that CHIKV originated in Africa, where it persists in a sylvatic cycle, and subsequently spread to Asia where it circulates among humans in urban settings...
- African Diversity and the Genetics of Human HealthJoseph P Jarvis; Fiscal Year: 2011..However, most studies of genetic architecture involve populations living in the United States, Europe and Asia. Though large, these population samples capture only a tiny subset of the standing genetic and phenotypic variation ..
- Retrotranslocation of cholera toxin AI-chain from ER ot cytosol and cell responseJin Ah Cho; Fiscal Year: 2010..Cholera remains prevalent in many parts of Asia, Africa and Latin America and outbreaks can occur in areas affected by natural disasters, wars and famines .
- Intraspecies Transmission and Infectivity of Insectivore-Borne HantavirusesRichard Yanagihara; Fiscal Year: 2011..One is a type of hemorrhagic fever with associated kidney failure occurring in Europe and Asia and the other is a rapidly progressive, frequently fatal respiratory disease occurring in the Americas...
- Kim Janda; Fiscal Year: 2014..Undeniably HIV prevalence related to intravenous drug use has risen dramatically in Eastern Europe, Asia, Iran, North Africa, and in Latin America...
- Pathogenic mechanisms of non-01/non-0139 V. choleraeMichelle Dziejman; Fiscal Year: 2012Vibrio cholerae is the causative agent of the severe diarrheal disease, cholera, that is endemic in much of Asia, Africa, and South America...
- 2012 Proteoglycans Gordon Research ConferenceRobert J Linhardt; Fiscal Year: 2012..The Proteoglycan conference is very international with over 33% of the attendees coming from Europe, Asia, Australia, South America and Africa...
- Plasmodium vivax recombinant CS protein vaccine for malariaB Kim Lee Sim; Fiscal Year: 2012..Severe malaria with mortality due to Pv has recently been reported from Oceania, south Asia, and South America. During the last decade, drug resistant Pv has emerged...
- Protocol- vs Patient-Oriented TCM Practices: A RCT for IBS Symptom ManagementJoyce K Anastasi; Fiscal Year: 2012..The traditional Chinese medicine (TCM) approach of acu/moxa developed over centuries in Asia offers a subtle, holistic approach to symptom management for IBS...
- PETER JESSE GASKILL; Fiscal Year: 2014Abstract: In regions of the world such as Eastern Europe and South-East Asia, the HIV pandemic is being driven by the spread of HIV within drug-abusing populations...
- Gene-environment EBV Interactions in the Etiology of Nasopharyngeal Carcinoma (NPHans Olov Adami; Fiscal Year: 2013..NPC Narrative: Nasopharyngeal carcinoma (NPC) is one of the most common cancers in Southeast Asia, yet little is known about its causes...
- EIAV Envelope Variation and Vaccine EfficacyRonald C Montelaro; Fiscal Year: 2013..but have had little impact on the predominant AIDS epidemic centered in developing countries in Africa and Asia with severely limited health care resources...
- Treatment of bacterial pneumonia after influenzaJonathan A McCullers; Fiscal Year: 2010..of highly pathogenic influenza viruses such as the 1918 strain or the H5N1 strains currently infecting people in Asia and Europe to cause massive cytokine release...
- Lei Yu; Fiscal Year: 2015..of Kentucky), Nun Study (University of Minnesota), Memory and Aging Project (Washington U), Kuakini Honolulu-Asia Aging Study, Religious Orders Study (ROS, Rush Medical University), and the OHSC ADC (Oregon Health &Science ..
- Brad J Spellberg; Fiscal Year: 2014..the NDM-1 resistance mechanism is spread by transmissible plasmids, and has been found worldwide, including in, Asia, Western Europe and the US...
- Impact of Malnutrition on HIV Treatment Failure in Resource-Limited SettingsAmita Gupta; Fiscal Year: 2012..NIH-funded study is evaluating the efficacy of HAART among 1571 HIV-infected adults in 8 RLS countries (Africa-3, Asia-2, Americas-3) and the United States...
- Global Health Partnership at UCSD and SDSUSteffanie Strathdee; Fiscal Year: 2009..research for faculty at our universities, create and expand upon partnerships with institutions in Latin America, Asia and Africa, and would create opportunities for students and fellows to be exposed to research, clinical practice ..
- Asia-ARVO Travel Awards and SymposiumSally S Atherton; Fiscal Year: 2010DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Asia-ARVO is an official meeting of the Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology (ARVO) and is held every two years in different Asian countries...
- Annette H Sohn; Fiscal Year: 2016DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Data from amfAR's TREAT Asia Pediatric Network, composed of 16 pediatric HIV clinical centers in six countries in Southeast Asia show that 41% of their regional observational cohort of 2810 ..
- Rhodiola Rosea Extracts, Salidroside and Bladder Cancer ChemopreventionXiaolin Zi; Fiscal Year: 2012..widely distributed at high altitudes (up to 2280 m) in the arctic and mountainous regions throughout Europe and Asia. Radiola has been used as folk medicines to improve stamina, memory and mood, to fight fatigues and to reduce ..
- Opening a New Lassa Fever Ward in Kenema Sierra LeoneRobert F Garry; Fiscal Year: 2013..We anticipate that scientists from across West Africa as well as from the United States, South America, Europe, Asia and elsewhere will attend this timely conference.
- Kiat Ruxrungtham; Fiscal Year: 2016..Thailand was the first country in Asia with a major AIDS epidemic. The Thai epidemic curve leads those in India, China, and Vietnam by 5 - 10 years...
- Does ArsenicMitigation in BangladeshRaiseExposure to Bacterial and ViralPathogensALEXANDER FRANS VAN GEEN; Fiscal Year: 2010..hydrogeology and the distribution of microbial pathogens in groundwater tapped by tubewells throughout southern Asia. Millions of rural households across Bangladesh, a country with a per capita GNP of SUS400, have devoted a total ..
- ENTAMOEBA HISTOLYTICA GENOME PROJECTBrendan Loftus; Fiscal Year: 2002..parasite that causes tens of millions of cases of dysentery and liver abscess in Latin America, Africa and Asia. Amebiasis liver abscess, which can be lethal if left untreated, is the third leading cause of death due to a ..
- INTERNET CONNECTION FOR 5 TUBERCULOSIS INSTITUTIONSPaula Miller; Fiscal Year: 2002..Country Internet Access Project is to provide TB specialists, medical faculty, and medical students in the Central Asia Republics (CAR) - Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan and Uzbekistan - with access to up-to-date ..
- A HTS Assay for Identifying Anti-Viral Drugs Against Arbovirus InfectionsQianjun Li; Fiscal Year: 2007..Several recent human and/or animal epidemics are caused by arboviruses, including Dengue virus (DNV) in Asia, West Nile virus (WNV) in North America and Bluetongue virus (BTV) in Europe...
- Ochlerotatus japonicus: Ecology of an Invasive MosquitoRICHARD FALCO; Fiscal Year: 2005Ochlerotatus japonicus (Theobald), a newly introduced mosquito species that occurs throughout Asia, has exhibited a remarkable range extension in just 5 years; from its introduction in the New York/New Jersey area in 1998, Oc...
- A SARS-CoV Spike Protein VaccineB Sim; Fiscal Year: 2005Severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) has been reported in Asia, North America, and Europe. In March 2003, a novel coronavirus (SARS-CoV) was discovered in association with cases of SARS...
- TRAINING ON RESEARCH BIOETHICS (TORB)Harun Rashid; Fiscal Year: 2005..research through capacity strengthening of the professionals involved in health research in Bangladesh (South Asia) and Kazakhstan (Central Asia)...
- WORKSHOP ON THE ORAL MANIFESTATIONS OF HIV INFECTIONJohn Greenspan; Fiscal Year: 2000..Of these, about half will be from outside the U.S.A., notably from Africa, Asia, Europe, Canada, and Central/South America...
- Community-based Methamphetamine Use & HIV Risk in ChinaBrian C Kelly; Fiscal Year: 2010..of methamphetamine has increased dramatically in recent years in the United States, Europe, Canada, Australia, and Asia. The United Nations Office on Drugs &Crime (2004) reports large increases in methamphetamine production and ..
- Hantavirus Vaccines Based On Nonreplicating AdenovirusesDavid Johnson; Fiscal Year: 2005..S. troops with 10% mortality. These viruses currently are estimated to cause 50,000-200,000 deaths each year in Asia. New World hantaviruses include the Sin Nombre virus that caused an outbreak in the southwestern U.S...
- Structural Studies of HBsAg: Support for Quentin FlorenceQUENTIN FLORENCE; Fiscal Year: 2009..World" where better vaccines developed based on the HBsAg structure would greatly impact the health of people in Asia and Africa...