Genomes and Genes
Summary: A republic stretching from the Indian Ocean east to New Guinea, comprising six main islands: Java, Sumatra, Bali, Kalimantan (the Indonesian portion of the island of Borneo), Sulawesi (formerly known as the Celebes) and Irian Jaya (the western part of New Guinea). Its capital is Djakarta. The ethnic groups living there are largely Chinese, Arab, Eurasian, Indian, and Pakistani; 85% of the peoples are of the Islamic faith.
Publications317 found, 100 shown here
- Seasonal prevalence of malaria in West Sumba district, IndonesiaDin Syafruddin
Eijkman Institute for Molecular Biology, Diponegoro 69, Jakarta 10430, Indonesia
Malar J 8:8. 2009..many studies of malaria epidemiology, immunology, and drug resistance have been conducted at many sites in Indonesia, there is little published literature describing malaria prevalence at the district, provincial, or national ..
- Multidrug-resistant Plasmodium vivax associated with severe and fatal malaria: a prospective study in Papua, IndonesiaEmiliana Tjitra
National Institute of Health Research and Development, Ministry of Health, Jakarta, Indonesia
PLoS Med 5:e128. 2008Multidrug-resistant Plasmodium vivax (Pv) is widespread in eastern Indonesia, and emerging elsewhere in Asia-Pacific and South America, but is generally regarded as a benign disease...
- Estimating wealth effects without expenditure data--or tears: an application to educational enrollments in states of IndiaD Filmer
Development Research Group, World Bank, 1818 H Street NW, Washington, DC 20433, USA
Demography 38:115-32. 2001..show that the asset index predicts enrollments as accurately as expenditures, or more so, we use data sets from Indonesia, Pakistan, and Nepal that contain information on both expenditures and assets...
- Demographic risk factors for severe and fatal vivax and falciparum malaria among hospital admissions in northeastern Indonesian PapuaMazie J Barcus
US Naval Medical Research Unit 2, Jakarta, Indonesia
Am J Trop Med Hyg 77:984-91. 2007..748). This study compares admissions per population (based on census data), parasitemia, morbidity, and mortality among children versus adults, pregnant versus non-pregnant women, and urban/suburban versus rural residents...
- Concurrent micronutrient deficiencies in lactating mothers and their infants in IndonesiaM A Dijkhuizen
Division of Human Nutrition and Epidemiology, Wageningen University, Netherlands
Am J Clin Nutr 73:786-91. 2001..DESIGN: In a cross-sectional survey in rural West Java, Indonesia, 155 lactating mothers and their healthy infants were assessed anthropometrically and blood, urine, and breast-..
- Determinants of neonatal mortality in IndonesiaChristiana R Titaley
School of Public Health, Edward Ford Building A27, University of Sydney, NSW 2006, Australia
BMC Public Health 8:232. 2008..This study aimed to identify the determinants of neonatal mortality in Indonesia, for a nationally representative sample of births from 1997 to 2002.
- Does treatment of intestinal helminth infections influence malaria? Background and methodology of a longitudinal study of clinical, parasitological and immunological parameters in Nangapanda, Flores, Indonesia (ImmunoSPIN Study)Aprilianto E Wiria
Department of Parasitology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Indonesia, Jakarta, Indonesia
BMC Infect Dis 10:77. 2010..Different cross-sectional studies using diverse methodologies have reported that helminth infections might either exacerbate or reduce the severity of malaria attacks. The same discrepancies have been reported for parasitemia...
- Malaria morbidity in Papua Indonesia, an area with multidrug resistant Plasmodium vivax and Plasmodium falciparumMuhammad Karyana
International Health Division, Menzies School of Health Research, Darwin, Australia
Malar J 7:148. 2008..Multidrug resistance has emerged to both Plasmodium vivax and Plasmodium falciparum and yet the comparative epidemiology of these infections is poorly defined...
- Henipavirus in Pteropus vampyrus bats, IndonesiaIndrawati Sendow
Emerg Infect Dis 12:711-2. 2006
- The rabies epidemic on Flores Island, Indonesia (1998-2003)Caecilia Windiyaningsih
Ministry of Health, CDC and EH, Indonesia
J Med Assoc Thai 87:1389-93. 2004..This occurrence indicates that even massive culling of the dog population, without an intensive vaccination campaign of the survivors, will not arrest an outbreak even if it occurs on a small island...
- Risk factors for developing leprosy--a population-based cohort study in IndonesiaMirjam I Bakker
KIT Koninklijk Instituut voor de Tropen Royal Tropical Institute, KIT Biomedical Research, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Lepr Rev 77:48-61. 2006..Preventing seropositive persons from becoming seropositive and infectious patients might break the chain of transmission...
- Streptococcus pneumoniae nasopharyngeal carriage prevalence, serotype distribution, and resistance patterns among children on Lombok Island, IndonesiaS Soewignjo
Biomedical Research Unit, Mataram General Hospital, Mataram, Indonesia
Clin Infect Dis 32:1039-43. 2001Few data exist on childhood pneumococcal carriage prevalence, serotype distribution, and resistance patterns for Indonesia, the world's fourth most populous country...
- 'Maybe it was her fate and maybe she ran out of blood': final caregivers' perspectives on access to care in obstetric emergencies in rural IndonesiaLucia D'Ambruoso
Immpact, Population Health Section, University of Aberdeen, UK
J Biosoc Sci 42:213-41. 2010..final caregivers of 104 women who died during pregnancy or childbirth were interviewed in two rural districts in Indonesia using an adapted verbal autopsy...
- Diabetes mellitus is strongly associated with tuberculosis in IndonesiaB Alisjahbana
Department of Internal Medicine, Medical Faculty, Padjadjaran University, Bandung, Indonesia
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 10:696-700. 2006..Diabetes mellitus is a known risk factor for tuberculosis (TB), but no studies have been reported from South-East Asia, which has a high burden of TB and a rapidly growing prevalence of diabetes...
- Gender and leprosy: case studies in Indonesia, Nigeria, Nepal and BrazilCorlien M Varkevisser
Royal Tropical Institute, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Lepr Rev 80:65-76. 2009..Between 1997 and 1999, leprosy control teams in Indonesia, Nigeria, Nepal and Brazil supported by social/public health scientists, conducted comparative exploratory ..
- Glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase deficiency and Southeast Asian ovalocytosis in asymptomatic Plasmodium carriers in Sumba island, IndonesiaHana Shimizu
Department of Human Ecology, School of International Health, Graduate School of Medicine, University of Tokyo, 7 3 1 Hongo, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo 113 0033, Japan
J Hum Genet 50:420-4. 2005..collected from a total of 210 healthy individuals, 100 males and 110 females, aged 6-17 years, in Sumba island, Indonesia, to survey for the presence of Plasmodium parasites, G6PD activity and the Band3Delta 27 mutation. Presence of P...
- Effect of maternal multiple micronutrient supplementation on fetal loss and infant death in Indonesia: a double-blind cluster-randomised trialA H Shankar
Helen Keller International, Jakarta, Indonesia Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD, USA
Lancet 371:215-27. 2008..We assessed the effect of maternal supplementation with MMN, compared with IFA, on fetal loss and infant death in the setting of routine prenatal care services...
- Philippine mitochondrial DNA diversity: a populated viaduct between Taiwan and Indonesia?Kristina A Tabbada
DNA Analysis Laboratory, Natural Sciences Research Institute, University of the Philippines Diliman, Quezon City, Philippines
Mol Biol Evol 27:21-31. 2010..lineages in the Philippines that share their origins--possibly dating back to the Paleolithic--with haplogroups from Indonesia and New Guinea. Other rare lineages in the Philippines have no closely related types yet identified elsewhere.
- Antibodies to Plasmodium falciparum and Plasmodium vivax merozoite surface protein 5 in Indonesia: species-specific and cross-reactive responsesTonia Woodberry
International Health Division, Menzies School of Health Research, Charles Darwin University, Darwin, Australia
J Infect Dis 198:134-42. 2008..In cross-sectional and longitudinal studies, we measured MSP5 antibody responses in Papuans with acute Plasmodium falciparum malaria, Plasmodium vivax malaria, and mixed P. falciparum and P. vivax malaria and in those with past exposure...
- Seroprevalence and isolation of Toxoplasma gondii from free-range chickens in Ghana, Indonesia, Italy, Poland, and VietnamJ P Dubey
U S Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service, Animal and Natural Resources Institute, Animal Parasitic Diseases Laboratory, Building 1001, Beltsville, Maryland 20705 2350, USA
J Parasitol 94:68-71. 2008..The prevalence of T. gondii in free-range chickens from Ghana, Indonesia, Italy, Poland, and Vietnam was determined using the modified agglutination test (MAT). Antibodies to T...
- Mycobacterium tuberculosis Beijing genotype is an independent risk factor for tuberculosis treatment failure in IndonesiaIda Parwati
Department of Clinical Pathology, Hasan Sadikin Hospital, Medical Faculty, Universitas Padjadjaran, Bandung, Indonesia
J Infect Dis 201:553-7. 2010..We examined whether Beijing strains increase treatment failure in a prospective cohort study in Indonesia. Among 818 tuberculosis cases, positive sputum culture results after 6 months of treatment were more common ..
- Epidemiology of dengue and dengue hemorrhagic fever in a cohort of adults living in Bandung, West Java, IndonesiaKevin R Porter
Viral Diseases Program, Naval Medical Research Unit No 2, Jakarta, Indonesia
Am J Trop Med Hyg 72:60-6. 2005..fever (DHF) was conducted in a cohort of adult volunteers from two textile factories located in West Java, Indonesia. Volunteers in the cohort were bled every three months and were actively followed for the occurrence of dengue (..
- School-based mental health intervention for children affected by political violence in Indonesia: a cluster randomized trialWietse A Tol
HealthNet TPO, Department of Public Health and Research, Tolstraat 127, 1074 VJ, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
JAMA 300:655-62. 2008..Childhood mental health problems are difficult to address in situations of ongoing poverty and political instability...
- Comparing childhood leukaemia treatment before and after the introduction of a parental education programme in IndonesiaS Mostert
Paediatric Haematology Oncology Division, Department of Paediatrics, VU University Medical Centre, Vrije University, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Arch Dis Child 95:20-5. 2010Previously, treatment and the results of treatment for childhood acute lymphoblastic leukaemia (ALL) in Indonesia differed significantly between poor and prosperous patients...
- Burden of severe rotavirus diarrhea in indonesiaYati Soenarto
Departments of Child Health, Faculty of Medicine, Gadjah Mada University, Sardjito Hospital, Yogyakarta
J Infect Dis 200:S188-94. 2009..of diarrhea-related hospitalizations and deaths among young children, but the burden of rotavirus disease in Indonesia is poorly documented...
- Risk factors for typhoid and paratyphoid fever in Jakarta, IndonesiaAlbert M Vollaard
Department of Infectious Diseases, Leiden University Medical Center, Leiden, The Netherlands
JAMA 291:2607-15. 2004..For containment of paratyphoid a different strategy may be needed than for typhoid, because risk factors for disease may not coincide and current typhoid vaccines do not protect against paratyphoid fever...
- Health assessment of artisanal gold miners in IndonesiaStephan Bose-O'Reilly
Institute of Public Health, Medical Decision Making and Health Technology Assessment, UMIT University for Health Sciences, Medical Informatics and Technology, Eduard Wallnoefer Center I, A 6060 Hall i T, Austria
Sci Total Environ 408:713-25. 2010..An environmental and health assessment was performed in Indonesia in two regions, Galangan in Central Kalimantan and Talawaan in Northern Sulawesi...
- Unintended pregnancy and women's psychological well-being in IndonesiaKaren Hardee
The POLICY Project, The Futures Group, Washington DC, USA
J Biosoc Sci 36:617-26. 2004..In addition, women using contraception were more likely to be classified in the high than in the low or medium well-being clusters...
- Factors associated with case fatality of human H5N1 virus infections in Indonesia: a case seriesI Nyoman Kandun
Directorate General of Disease Control and Environmental Health, Ministry of Health, Jakarta, Indonesia
Lancet 372:744-9. 2008b>Indonesia has had the most human cases of highly pathogenic avian influenza A (H5N1) and one of the highest case-fatality rates worldwide. We described the factors associated with H5N1 case-fatality in Indonesia.
- Mortality inequalities in times of economic growth: time trends in socioeconomic and regional inequalities in under 5 mortality in Indonesia, 1982-1997Tanja A J Houweling
Department of Public Health, Erasmus MC University Medical Centre Rotterdam, 3000 DR Rotterdam, The Netherlands
J Epidemiol Community Health 60:62-8. 2006To examine time trends in socioeconomic and regional inequalities in under 5 mortality in Indonesia during almost two decades of economic growth.
- Molecular epidemiology of rabies in IndonesiaHeru Susetya
Department of Veterinary Medicine, Faculty of Applied Biological Sciences, The United School of Veterinary Sciences, Gifu University, 1 1 Yanagido, Gifu 501 1193, Japan
Virus Res 135:144-9. 2008In order to clarify the genetic relationships and dynamics of rabies viruses that are epidemic in Indonesia, we determined and analyzed 1307 nucleotides of nucleoprotein genes of 34 rabies field isolates collected from Sumatra, Java, ..
- Intestinal parasitic infections in HIV/AIDS patients presenting with diarrhoea in Jakarta, IndonesiaA Kurniawan
Department of Parasitology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Indonesia, Salemba Raya No 6, Jakarta 10430, Indonesia
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 103:892-8. 2009..hominis, but gross seasonal disturbances may have influenced our findings. Intestinal parasites should be looked for routinely in this group of individuals and should be treated to reduce complications and the likelihood of transmission...
- Did the strategy of skilled attendance at birth reach the poor in Indonesia?Laurel Hatt
Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, MD, USA
Bull World Health Organ 85:774-82. 2007To assess whether the strategy of "a midwife in every village" in Indonesia achieved its aim of increasing professional delivery care for the poorest women.
- Physician assessment of patient smoking in Indonesia: a public health priorityNawi Ng
Department of Public Health, Faculty of Medicine, Gadjah Mada University, IKM Building 3rd Floor, Farmako Street, North Sekip, Jogjakarta 55281, Indonesia
Tob Control 16:190-6. 2007..To explore Indonesian physician's smoking behaviours, their attitudes and clinical practices towards smoking cessation...
- Balinese Y-chromosome perspective on the peopling of Indonesia: genetic contributions from pre-neolithic hunter-gatherers, Austronesian farmers, and Indian tradersTatiana M Karafet
Division of Biotechnology, Biosciences West, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ 85721, USA
Hum Biol 77:93-114. 2005..short tandem repeats (STRs) were genotyped on a sample of 1,989 Y chromosomes from 20 populations representing Indonesia (including Bali), southern China, Southeast Asia, South Asia, the Near East, and Oceania...
- Diagnostic value of measuring Epstein-Barr virus (EBV) DNA load and carcinoma-specific viral mRNA in relation to anti-EBV immunoglobulin A (IgA) and IgG antibody levels in blood of nasopharyngeal carcinoma patients from IndonesiaServi J C Stevens
Department of Pathology, Vrije Universiteit Medical Centre, De Boelelaan 1117, 1081 HV Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Clin Microbiol 43:3066-73. 2005..The circulating EBV DNA load is independent of serological parameters and does not reflect intact tumor cells. The primary diagnostic value of the EBV DNA load for the detection of NPC is limited...
- Rapid onset of transmission-reducing antibodies in javanese migrants exposed to malaria in papua, indonesiaJ Teun Bousema
Department of Medical Microbiology, Radboud University, Nijmegen Medical Centre, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Am J Trop Med Hyg 74:425-31. 2006..stage immunity was studied in a cohort of 102 non-immune Javanese individuals migrating to hyperendemic Papua Indonesia. Seroprevalence of antibodies against Pfs48/45 and Pfs230 and functional transmission-reducing activity (TRA) ..
- Further investigations of glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase variants in Flores Island, eastern IndonesiaFumihiko Kawamoto
Institute of Scientific Research, Faculty of Medicine, Oita University, Yufu, Japan
J Hum Genet 51:952-7. 2006..dehydrogenase (G6PD) deficiency in the eastern part of Flores Island, East Nusa Tenggara Province, Indonesia. A total of 1,108 volunteers (642 males and 466 females) belonging to three ethnic groups (Sikka, Ende and Bajo) ..
- Malaria transmission by Anopheles punctulatus in the highlands of Irian Jaya, IndonesiaM J Bangs
U S Naval Medical Research Unit No 2, APO AP 96520 8132, USA
Ann Trop Med Parasitol 90:29-38. 1996..koliensis to its transmission was conducted in Oksibil, a highland community in Irian Jaya, Indonesia. Nearly all (98%) of the 2577 Anopheles from indoor or outdoor human-landing collections were An. punctulatus...
- Voluntary HIV testing, disclosure, and stigma among injection drug users in Bali, IndonesiaKathleen Ford
Department of Epidemiology, School of Public Health, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, 48104 3028, USA
AIDS Educ Prev 16:487-98. 2004Recently, large increases have been noted in injection drug use and HIV prevalence in Indonesia. Because voluntary HIV counseling and testing can play an important role in HIV prevention, it is important to understand factors related to ..
- Epidemic dengue transmission in southern Sumatra, IndonesiaA L Corwin
US Naval Medical Research Unit No. 2 (US NAMRU-2, a WHO-SEARO Collaborating Centre for New and Emerging Diseases, Jakarta, Indonesia
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 95:257-65. 2001..DF), dengue haemorrhagic fever (DHF), and dengue shock syndrome (DSS) in the city of Palembang, south Sumatra, Indonesia was investigated to (i) validate epidemic occurrence, (ii) confirm dengue virus aetiology and associated ..
- A nationwide molecular epidemiological study on hepatitis B virus in Indonesia: identification of two novel subgenotypes, B8 and C7- Mulyanto
University of Mataram, Indonesia
Arch Virol 154:1047-59. 2009..928 hepatitis B virus (HBV) strains obtained from 899 viremic subjects in 28 major cities on 15 islands of Indonesia in 1989-2007 segregated into four HBV genotypes...
- Identification of typhoid fever and paratyphoid fever cases at presentation in outpatient clinics in Jakarta, IndonesiaAlbert M Vollaard
Department of Infectious Diseases, C5 P, Leiden University Medical Center, P O Box 9600, 2300 RC, Leiden, The Netherlands
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 99:440-50. 2005In Jakarta, Indonesia, over 80% of patients with typhoid fever or paratyphoid fever are treated in outpatient settings...
- A district-based audit of the causes and circumstances of maternal deaths in South Kalimantan, IndonesiaGunawan Supratikto
MotherCare John Snow, Inc, Indonesia
Bull World Health Organ 80:228-34. 2002..audit of maternal and perinatal mortality began during 1994 in three provinces of South Kalimantan, Indonesia. Both medical and non-medical factors were documented and an effort was made to progress from merely assessing ..
- Dihydrofolate reductase mutations in Plasmodium vivax from Indonesia and therapeutic response to sulfadoxine plus pyrimethamineMichele D Hastings
Department of Genome Sciences, School of Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195 7730, USA
J Infect Dis 189:744-50. 2004..Still less is known about associations between specific alleles and the failure of sulfadoxine/pyrimethamine (S/P) to clear the erythrocytic stages of P. vivax in vivo...
- Obstetric near miss and deaths in public and private hospitals in IndonesiaAsri Adisasmita
Centre for Family Welfare, Faculty of Public Health, University of Indonesia, Depok, Indonesia
BMC Pregnancy Childbirth 8:10. 2008..The purpose of this study was to document the frequency and causes of near miss and maternal deaths in four hospitals in West Java, Indonesia.
- Melanesian origin of Polynesian Y chromosomesM Kayser
Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology, Leipzig, Germany
Curr Biol 10:1237-46. 2000..Here, we used Y-chromosome polymorphisms to investigate the origins of Polynesians...
- Midwifery provision in two districts in Indonesia: how well are rural areas served?Krystyna Makowiecka
Department of Epidemiology and Population Health, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, Keppel Street, London, WC1E 7HT, UK
Health Policy Plan 23:67-75. 2008..b>Indonesia has a village-based midwife programme that was intended to increase the rate of professional delivery care and ..
- Preventable risk factors for noncommunicable diseases in rural Indonesia: prevalence study using WHO STEPS approachNawi Ng
Department of Public Health, Faculty of Medicine, Gadjah Mada University, Jogjakarta, Indonesia
Bull World Health Organ 84:305-13. 2006To gain a better understanding of the health transition in Indonesia, we sought to describe the prevalence and distribution of risk factors for noncommunicable diseases and to identify the risk-factor burden among a rural population and ..
- Hospital based clinical surveillance for dengue haemorrhagic fever in Bandung, Indonesia 1994-1995A Chairulfatah
The Department of Childhealth, Padjadjaran University Medical School, Dr Hasan Sadikin General Hospital, Jl. Pasteur 38, Bandung 40161, Indonesia
Acta Trop 80:111-5. 2001In Indonesia, by law dengue haemorrhagic fever (DHF) cases must be reported within 24 h to the district health authority. The objective of this study was to evaluate the adequacy, accuracy and reporting delay of this reporting system...
- Social risk management options for medical care in IndonesiaMenno Pradhan
Economic and Social Institute, Free University, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Health Econ 11:431-46. 2002..suitable instrument to reduce household's exposure to catastrophic financial risks associated with ill-health in Indonesia. Using the 1995 SUSENAS household survey, the observed distribution of user fees and health expenditures is used ..
- Lung injury in vivax malaria: pathophysiological evidence for pulmonary vascular sequestration and posttreatment alveolar-capillary inflammationNicholas M Anstey
International Health Program, Infectious Diseases Division, Menzies School of Health Research and Charles Darwin University, Darwin, NT 0811, Australia
J Infect Dis 195:589-96. 2007..The mechanisms underlying lung injury in vivax malaria are not well understood. Inflammatory responses to Plasmodium falciparum and P. vivax, to our knowledge, have not previously been compared at an organ level...
- Transmission of epidemic dengue hemorrhagic fever in easternmost IndonesiaNono C Sukri
United States Naval Medical Research Unit No 2, Jakarta, Indonesia
Am J Trop Med Hyg 68:529-35. 2003In April 2001, a second suspected outbreak of dengue hemorrhagic fever in the easternmost region of Indonesia was investigated in Merauke, a town located in the southeastern corner of Papua, by the Indonesian Ministry of Health and the U...
- Novel subgenotypes of hepatitis B virus genotypes C and D in Papua, IndonesiaMaria Inge Lusida
Department of Microbiology, Tropical Disease Center, Airlangga University, Surabaya, Indonesia
J Clin Microbiol 46:2160-6. 2008..and the entire precore/core gene of HBV isolates obtained from HBsAg-positive blood donors in Papua Province, Indonesia. Phylogenetic analysis of the S gene sequences revealed that 23 (85...
- Malnutrition and infectious disease morbidity among children missed by the childhood immunization program in IndonesiaRichard D Semba
Hopkins School of Medicine, 550 N Broadway, Suite 700, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Southeast Asian J Trop Med Public Health 38:120-9. 2007..characterize malnutrition and morbidity among children who are missed by the childhood immunization program in Indonesia. Vaccination and morbidity histories, anthropometry, and other data were collected for 286,500 children, aged 12-..
- A serological study of Chikungunya virus transmission in Yogyakarta, Indonesia: evidence for the first outbreak since 1982Kevin R Porter
Viral Diseases Program, US Naval Medical Research Unit No 2, Jakarta, Indonesia
Southeast Asian J Trop Med Public Health 35:408-15. 2004A study of epidemic transmission of Chikungunya virus (CHIK) was initiated in April 1999 in Yogyakarta, Indonesia. Three hundred seventeen volunteers from three kelurahans (sub-districts) were recruited...
- Rotavirus surveillance to determine disease burden and epidemiology in Java, Indonesia, August 2001 through April 2004Siswanto Agus Wilopo
Community Health and Nutrition Research Laboratories CHN RL, Purworejo Member of INDEPTH Site and Department of Public Health, Center of Reproductive Health, Faculty of Medicine, Gadjah Mada University, Bulaksumur, Yogyakarta, Indonesia
Vaccine 27:F61-6. 2009..Rotavirus vaccination may prevent a large proportion of all hospitalizations of young children under 3 years of age presenting with acute gastroenteritis...
- Introducing Vi polysaccharide typhoid fever vaccine to primary school children in North Jakarta, Indonesia, via an existent school-based vaccination platformM D Agtini
National Institute of Health Research and Development, Jakarta Indonesia, Ministry of Health, Jakarta, Indonesia
Public Health 120:1081-7. 2006..To report results on coverage, safety and logistics of a large-scale, school-based Vi polysaccharide immunization campaign in North Jakarta...
- Resource-based adaptive divergence in the freshwater fish Telmatherina from Lake Matano, IndonesiaDenis Roy
Great Lakes Institute for Environmental Research, University of Windsor, Windsor, Ontario, Canada N9B 3P4
Mol Ecol 16:35-48. 2007..radiation among Telmatherina, a genus of freshwater fish endemic to an ancient lake in central Sulawesi, Indonesia, was examined to determine its causal root...
- Age-dependent impairment of IgG responses to glycosylphosphatidylinositol with equal exposure to Plasmodium falciparum among Javanese migrants to Papua, IndonesiaSarah N Hudson Keenihan
United States Navy Medical Research Unit 2, Jakarta, Indonesia
Am J Trop Med Hyg 69:36-41. 2003..falciparum in Papua, Indonesia. While the peak response in adults was achieved after a single infection, comparable responses in children ..
- Low-cost on-the-job peer training of nurses improved immunization coverage in IndonesiaJ S Robinson
University Research Co, 7200 Wisconsin Avenue, Bethesda, MD 20814, USA
Bull World Health Organ 79:150-8. 2001In Indonesia responsibility for immunizations is placed on local government health centres and on the nurses who provide the immunizations at each centre...
- Five different glucose-6-phophate [correction phosphate]dehydrogenase (G6PD) variants found among 11 G6PD-deficient persons in Flores Island, IndonesiaHiroyuki Matsuoka
Department of Medical Zoology, Jichi Medical School, 3311 1 Yakushiji, Minami Kawachi, Tochigi 329 0498, Japan
J Hum Genet 48:541-4. 2003..These were unexpected findings because five different G6PD variants were found in such a small population. This suggests that people of Flores Island are derived from various ancestries...
- Oxytocin in prefilled Uniject injection devices for managing third-stage labor in IndonesiaV D Tsu
Program for Appropriate Technology in Health PATH, Seattle, WA 98107, USA
Int J Gynaecol Obstet 83:103-11. 2003..Oxytocin via Uniject holds promise for safer, more convenient use of oxytocin by trained midwives attending home deliveries, thereby potentially reducing the incidence of postpartum hemorrhage...
- Poor food hygiene and housing as risk factors for typhoid fever in Semarang, IndonesiaM H Gasem
Department of Medicine, Dr Kariadi Hospital and Medical Faculty, Diponegoro University, Semarang, Indonesia
Trop Med Int Health 6:484-90. 2001..97; 95% CI = 1.22-12.93) and being unemployed or having a part-time job (OR = 31.3; 95% CI = 3.08-317.4) also were risk factors. In this population typhoid fever was associated with poor housing and inadequate food and personal hygiene...
- A comparison of Rapid Village Survey and Leprosy Elimination Campaign, detection methods in two districts of East Java, Indonesia, 1997/1998 and 1999/2000Pieter A M Schreuder
Lepr Rev 73:366-75. 2002..was planned to estimate the extent of the leprosy problem in two well documented endemic districts of East Java, Indonesia. Furthermore, the aim was to investigate the efficacy of the routine programme in detecting new and early cases, ..
- Current HIV type 1 molecular epidemiology profile and identification of unique recombinant forms in Jakarta, IndonesiaIvo N SahBandar
Department of Microbiology, School of Medicine, Iwate Medical University, Morioka, Japan
AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses 25:637-46. 2009HIV infection is a major problem in Indonesia. The number of people living with HIV has been increasing from year to year, especially among injecting drug users (IDUs)...
- The amount of carbon released from peat and forest fires in Indonesia during 1997Susan E Page
Department of Geography, University of Leicester, Leicester LE1 7RH, UK
Nature 420:61-5. 2002..This was demonstrated by the occurrence of widespread fires throughout the forested peatlands of Indonesia during the 1997 El Niño event. Here, using satellite images of a 2...
- Cytokines related to nutritional status in patients with untreated pulmonary tuberculosis in IndonesiaElvina Karyadi
SEAMEO TROPMED Regional Center for Community Nutrition, PO Box 3852, Jakarta 10037, Indonesia
Asia Pac J Clin Nutr 16:218-26. 2007..In 41 untreated tuberculosis patients and matched healthy controls in an urban hospital in Indonesia, we measured: height and weight, parameters of iron, vitamin A and zinc; and cytokines concentrations in the ..
- Influence of socioeconomic status on childhood acute lymphoblastic leukemia treatment in IndonesiaSaskia Mostert
Department of Pediatrics, Vrije University Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Pediatrics 118:e1600-6. 2006..Our study examined the influence of 2 socioeconomic status determinants, parental income and education, on treatment in an Indonesian academic hospital...
- High prevalence of Brugia timori infection in the highland of Alor Island, IndonesiaTaniawati Supali
Department of Parasitology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Indonesia, Jakarta, Indonesia
Am J Trop Med Hyg 66:560-5. 2002..endemic for Brugia timori infection, a field survey was carried out in 2001 on Alor, East Nusa Tenggara Timor, Indonesia. Elephantiasis was reported on this island by villagers as a major health problem...
- Macro shocks and micro outcomes: child nutrition during Indonesia's crisisSteven A Block
Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy, Tufts University, Medford, MA 02155, USA
Econ Hum Biol 2:21-44. 2004A survey of households in rural Java is used to assess the nutritional impact of Indonesia's drought and financial crisis of 1997/1998. A time-age-cohort decomposition reveals significant nutritional impacts...
- The frequency of drug resistance mutations in Mycobacterium leprae isolates in untreated and relapsed leprosy patients from Myanmar, Indonesia and the PhilippinesMasanori Matsuoka
Leprosy Research Centre, National Institute of Infectious Diseases, Tokyo, Japan
Lepr Rev 78:343-52. 2007..The magnitude of drug resistance in Mycobacterium leprae to dapsone, rifampicin, and ofloxacin was studied in three Southeast Asian countries with a high prevalence of leprosy...
- The social context of initiation into injecting drugs in the slums of Makassar, IndonesiaSudirman Nasir
School of Population Health, The University of Melbourne, Victoria 3010, Australia
Int J Drug Policy 20:237-43. 2009..This study examines the lived experience of young men in initiating and maintaining drug injection in slum areas, commonly named lorong, in the city of Makassar, Indonesia.
- Vitamin A capsule distribution to control vitamin A deficiency in Indonesia: effect of supplementation in pre-school children and compliance with the programmeRosnani Pangaribuan
Institute of Biological Chemistry and Nutrition 140, University of Hohenheim, Fruwirthstrasse 12, D 70599
Public Health Nutr 6:209-16. 2003The aim of this study was to evaluate the effectiveness of a widespread vitamin A supplementation programme and to describe indicators of compliance with the programme in Indonesia.
- Resistance of Aedes aegypti (Diptera: Culicidae) in 2006 to pyrethroid insecticides in Indonesia and its association with oxidase and esterase levelsIntan Ahmad
School of Life Sciences and Technology, Bandung Institute of Technology, Jalan Ganesha No 10, Bandung 40132, Indonesia
Pak J Biol Sci 10:3688-92. 2007Three strains of Aedes aegypti collected in 2006 from three major cities in Indonesia, i.e...
- Causes and temporal trends of childhood blindness in Indonesia: study at schools for the blind in JavaR S Sitorus
Department of Ophthalmology Faculty of Medicine University of Indonesia Jakarta Salemba 6, Jakarta 10430 Indonesia
Br J Ophthalmol 91:1109-13. 2007..To ascertain the causes of blindness and severe visual impairment (BL/SVI) in schools for the blind in Java, to identify preventable and treatable causes and to evaluate temporal trends in the major causes...
- Survey of antibiotic use of individuals visiting public healthcare facilities in IndonesiaUsman Hadi
Department of Internal Medicine, Dr Soetomo Hospital School of Medicine, Airlangga University, Jl Manyar Tirtomoyo II 21, Surabaya 60118, Indonesia
Int J Infect Dis 12:622-9. 2008To estimate the antibiotic use of individuals visiting public healthcare facilities in Indonesia and to identify determinants of use against a background of high resistance rates.
- Correlates of condom use among female prostitutes and tourist clients in Bali, IndonesiaL Thorpe
School of Public Health, University of Illinois, Chicago 60612, USA
AIDS Care 9:181-97. 1997..examines the commercial sex activity of both tourist client and local prostitute groups in the host country of Indonesia. The study provides a profile of social and behavioural characteristics of foreign tourist men and Indonesian ..
- Depression, activities of daily living, and quality of life of community-dwelling elderly in three Asian countries: Indonesia, Vietnam, and JapanTaizo Wada
Department of Geriatric Medicine, Kyoto University Graduate School of Medicine, 54 Shogoin Kawahara cho, Sakyo ku, Kyoto 606 8507, Japan
Arch Gerontol Geriatr 41:271-80. 2005..A total of 2,695 community-dwelling elderly subjects aged 60 years or older living in five rural Asian towns (Indonesia: 411, Vietnam: 379, Japan: 1,905) participated in this cross-sectional study...
- The microbial ecology of cocoa bean fermentations in IndonesiaMade M Ardhana
Food Science and Technology, School of Chemical Sciences, The University of New South Wales, Sydney, New South Wales 2052, Australia
Int J Food Microbiol 86:87-99. 2003..Forastero and Trinitario cultivars) was investigated at three commercial fermentaries in East Java, Indonesia by determining the populations of individual species at 12-h intervals throughout the process...
- Chemotherapy-related side effects in childhood acute lymphoblastic leukemia in Indonesia: parental perceptionsMei Neni Sitaresmi
Department of Pediatrics, DR Sardjito Hospital Faculty of Medicine, Gadjah Mada University, Yogyakarta, Indonesia
J Pediatr Oncol Nurs 26:198-207. 2009..Fifty-one parents of children with acute lymphoblastic leukemia in a tertiary care hospital in Indonesia were interviewed about their perception of side effects and their impact on treatment noncompliance and daily ..
- Blood lead levels and risk factors for lead poisoning among children in Jakarta, IndonesiaRachel Albalak
Division of Environmental Hazards and Health Effects, National Center for Environmental Health, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 1600 Clifton Rd Mailstop E 19, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
Sci Total Environ 301:75-85. 2003The phase-out of leaded gasoline began in Jakarta, Indonesia on July 1, 2001...
- Recent situation of schistosomiasis in IndonesiaAli Izhar
Sub Directorate of Filariasis and Schistosomiasis, CDC, MOH, J1 Percetakan Negara No 29, 10560, Jakarta, Indonesia
Acta Trop 82:283-8. 2002Schistosomiasis in Indonesia is limited to two very isolated areas, the Napu and Lindu valleys, in the province of Central Sulawesi. The disease was initially found in 1937 in the village of Tomado...
- Molecular epidemiology of TT virus (TTV) and characterization of two novel TTV genotypes in IndonesiaD H Muljono
Laboratory of Infectious Disease, Eijkman Institute for Molecular Biology, Jakarta, Indonesia
Arch Virol 146:1249-66. 2001The prevalence of TT virus (TTV) DNA among 244 healthy individuals in 23 cities on 12 islands in Indonesia was determined by polymerase chain reaction (PCR) with primers derived from the coding region (N22), which can detect TTV DNA of ..
- Locomotor ecology of wild orangutans (Pongo pygmaeus abelii) in the Gunung Leuser Ecosystem, Sumatra, Indonesia: a multivariate analysis using log-linear modellingSusannah K S Thorpe
Department of Human Biology, University of Cape Town, Cape Town 7925, South Africa
Am J Phys Anthropol 127:58-78. 2005..Effects are primarily related to a tendency for adult, parous females to adopt a more cautious approach to locomotion than adult males and immature subjects...
- Test of the 'healthy migrant hypothesis': a longitudinal analysis of health selectivity of internal migration in IndonesiaYao Lu
Department of Sociology, Columbia University, New York, NY 10027, United States
Soc Sci Med 67:1331-9. 2008..In this article, using high-quality longitudinal data from Indonesia, the health selectivity hypothesis, also referred to as the healthy migrant hypothesis, is examined with respect ..
- Midwifery provision and uptake of maternity care in IndonesiaEndang Achadi
University of Indonesia, Depok, Indonesia
Trop Med Int Health 12:1490-7. 2007..midwife density, other characteristics of midwifery provision and village contextual factors, and the percentage of births attended by a health professional and deliveries via caesarean section in two districts in West Java, Indonesia.
- Field trial on the spatial repellency of metofluthrin-impregnated plastic strips for mosquitoes in shelters without walls (beruga) in Lombok, IndonesiaHitoshi Kawada
Department of Vector Ecology and Environment, Institute of Tropical Medicine, Nagasaki University, Nagasaki, Nagasaki 852 8523, Japan
J Vector Ecol 30:181-5. 2005..plastic strips for mosquitoes present in shelters without walls (beruga) were carried out in Lombok, Indonesia. A major reduction in the incidence of human biting by Culex quinquefasciatus was achieved, and the use of two ..
- Calling in wild silvery gibbons (Hylobates moloch) in Java (Indonesia): behavior, phylogeny, and conservationThomas Geissmann
Anthropological Institute, University Zurich Irchel, Zurich, Switzerland
Am J Primatol 68:1-19. 2006..for the silvery gibbon (Hylobates moloch), an endangered primate that is endemic to the island of Java, Indonesia. We studied the singing behavior of the easternmost population of this species in the Dieng mountains, central ..
- Mother's working status and nutritional status of children under the age of 5 in urban low-income community, Surabaya, IndonesiaN Toyama
Department of International Community Health, Graduate School of Medicine, The University of Tokyo, Japan
J Trop Pediatr 47:179-81. 2001A cross-sectional anthropometrics survey was carried out in a low-income community of Surabaya, Indonesia, to examine the association between mother's employment and the child's nutritional status for identifying a group at risk of ..
- High rates of sexually transmitted diseases among male transvestites in Jakarta, IndonesiaM R Joesoef
Division of STD Prevention, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, MS E04, 1600 Clifton Road NE, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
Int J STD AIDS 14:609-13. 2003Many male transvestites (waria) in Jakarta, Indonesia engage in unprotected receptive anal and oral intercourse with homosexual and bisexual men for pay...
- Human papillomavirus type 16 E6, E7, and L1 variants in cervical cancer in Indonesia, Suriname, and The NetherlandsMarjon A De Boer
Department of Gynecology, Leiden University Medical Center, Albinusdreef 2, 2300 RC Leiden, The Netherlands
Gynecol Oncol 94:488-94. 2004..Regarding the geographical distribution of HPV variants and the lack of data from Indonesia and Suriname, we studied the prevalence of HPV 16 variants in cervical cancer in these high incidence countries...
- Preventing mother-to-child transmission of HIV in Vietnam and Indonesia: diverging care dynamicsAnita Petra Hardon
Amsterdam School for Social Science Research, Kloveniersburgwal 48, 1012 CX, Amsterdam, Netherlands
Soc Sci Med 69:838-45. 2009..health workers engage in preventing mother-to-child HIV transmission (PMTCT) in urban areas of Vietnam and Indonesia, where HIV is highly stigmatized and is associated with injecting drug use and sex work? This qualitative study ..
- End-stage renal disease in Indonesia: treatment developmentWiguno Prodjosudjadi
Division of Nephrology and Hypertension, Department of Internal Medicine, Faculty of Medicine University of Indonesia, Jakarta, Indonesia
Ethn Dis 19:S1-33-6. 2009..Since a national registry of ESRD has just been developed for Indonesia and we can present only limited data in this study, the numbers in this article underestimate the true incidence ..
- El Niño and associated outbreaks of severe malaria in highland populations in Irian Jaya, Indonesia: a review and epidemiological perspectiveM J Bangs
Department of Medical Entomology, US Naval Medical Research Unit No 2, Jakarta, Indonesia
Southeast Asian J Trop Med Public Health 30:608-19. 1999..lowland and foothill populations in Irian Jaya (western New Guinea), the largest and easternmost province of Indonesia. Malaria at higher elevations above 1,500 m is considered intermittent and highly unstable, providing a constant ..
- Did professional attendance at home births improve early neonatal survival in Indonesia?Laurel Hatt
1506 D Street SE, Washington, DC 20003, USA
Health Policy Plan 24:270-8. 2009BACKGROUND Early neonatal mortality has been persistently high in developing countries. Indonesia, with its national policy of home-based, midwife-assisted birth, is an apt context for assessing the effect of home-based professional ..
- Direct and indirect impacts of integrated pest management on pesticide use: a case of rice agriculture in Java, IndonesiaJoko Mariyono
AVRDC ACIAR Integrated Disease Management Project, Tegal Indonesia
Pest Manag Sci 64:1069-73. 2008Integrated pest management (IPM) technology has been disseminated since 1989 in Indonesia to cut down pesticide use, but the adoption and diffusion of the technology are still debated...
- Detection of porcine circovirus type 2 in pigs imported from IndonesiaGayathri Manokaran
Detection and Diagnostics Laboratory, DSO National Laboratories, 13 00, 27 Medical Drive, Singapore
Vet Microbiol 132:165-70. 2008....
- Reasons for not using condoms among female sex workers in IndonesiaEndang Basuki
Faculty of Medicine, University of Indonesia, Jakarta
AIDS Educ Prev 14:102-16. 2002The aim of this study was to gather data on condom use among brothel-based female sex workers in Indonesia and to study the reasons for not using condoms in order to provide new and existing condom promotion programs with information to ..
- The 1997 haze disaster in Indonesia: its air quality and health effectsOsamu Kunii
Department of International Community Health, Graduate School of Medicine, The University of Tokyo, Hongo, Japan
Arch Environ Health 57:16-22. 2002In this study, the authors assessed air quality and health effects of the 1997 haze disaster in Indonesia. The authors measured carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide, sulfur dioxide, nitrogen dioxide, ozone, particulate matter with diameters ..
- Avian influenza A H5N1 infections in Bali Province, Indonesia: a behavioral, virological and seroepidemiological studyKetut Santhia
Denpasar Disease Investigation Center, Ministry of Agriculture, Indonesia
Influenza Other Respir Viruses 3:81-9. 2009..Bali Province was affected by avian influenza H5N1 outbreaks in birds in October 2003. Despite ongoing circulation of the virus, no human infection had been identified by December 2005...
- Institutional Collaboration between LSTM and CDC and Prevention on Malaria(U01)FEIKO OLAF TER KUILE; Fiscal Year: 2013..endemic countries in the conduct of collaborative research to improve the control of malaria in Africa and in Indonesia and to coordinate international research initiatives for malaria control...
- Prospective Studies of Avian Influenza Transmission in AsiaGREGORY CHARLES GRAY; Fiscal Year: 2010..and 300 age-group and gender matched non-exposed controls living in three H5N1 endemic areas in Asia: Tangerang, Indonesia;Bali, Indonesia;and Kandaal Province, Cambodia...
- Longer Term Effects of a Natural Disaster on Health and Socio-Economic StatusELIZABETH A FRANKENBERG; Fiscal Year: 2012..scale longitudinal household and community survey that follows respondents who were living in coastal Sumatra, Indonesia, at the time of the 2004 Indian Ocean Tsunami, a massive natural disaster that killed over 160,000 Indonesians...
- The Human Life Course and the Biodemography of AgingHillard S Kaplan; Fiscal Year: 2013..The results, combined with measures of aging and disease in other populations such as the U.S., Mexico and Indonesia, may help to explain the historical increases in life expectancy over the past several centuries. ..
- Planning Grant for Global Infectious Disease Research Training ProgramVirasakdi Chongsuvivatwong; Fiscal Year: 2011..EPI-PSU has been assisting centers in Vietnam, Myanmar, Indonesia, China and Nepal...
- The Longitudinal Aging Study in IndiaJinkook Lee; Fiscal Year: 2013..In the course of implementing Wave 2, we will seek to follow best practices from the Indonesia Family Life Study, which achieved a 6% attrition rate...
- The Evolution of Well-Being among Older Adults after a DisasterELIZABETH A FRANKENBERG; Fiscal Year: 2013..tsunami on the health and well-being of older adults who were living in coastal areas of Aceh and North Sumatra, Indonesia, at the time of the tsunami...
- Economic Well-being in the Aftermath of the Indian Ocean TsunamiCLARK GRAY; Fiscal Year: 2010..This project will investigate the impacts of the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami on economic well-being in Sumatra, Indonesia using multivariate methods and data from a unique longitudinal household survey...
- Rapid DPP test for tuberculosisKonstantin P Lyashchenko; Fiscal Year: 2013..obtained from culture-confirmed patients with active pulmonary tuberculosis from endemic regions in Brazil and Indonesia. In this Phase II application we propose to complete development and evaluation of the rapid diagnostic test for ..
- Efficacy of Drug-HIV counseling among IDU at Methadone clinics in JakartaDavid S Metzger; Fiscal Year: 2012According to UNAIDS, Indonesia is experiencing one of the most rapidly expanding HIV/AIDS epidemics in Asia...
- Biodiversity surveys in Indonesia and discovery of health and energy solutionsKyria Boundy-Mills; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Macroeconomic Demography of Intergenerational TransfersRonald D Lee; Fiscal Year: 2012..The accounts will be estimated for seven economies, the U.S., France, Brazil, Chile, Japan, Taiwan, and Indonesia, with sufficient historical depth to analyze long-run changes in public policy, economic conditions, and family ..
- Population Based Epidemiological Studies on Influenza/Other Respiratory PathogensDARRELL SINGER; Fiscal Year: 2012..In recent years, human infections with highly fatal H5N1 avian influenza strains in Hong Kong, Vietnam, Indonesia, and other nations have received much attention as one of the most likely sources of a potentially widespread ..
- Brown/Tufts Fogarty AIDS International Training and Research ProgramSusan Cu-Uvin; Fiscal Year: 2013..and Research Program (AITRP) has trained over 100 clinical investigators from India, the Philippines, Cambodia, Indonesia, and, most recently, western Kenya, resulting in about 100 peer-reviewed publications over the past 5 years ..
- UCLA Fogarty AITRPRoger Detels; Fiscal Year: 2012..The collaborating countries include China, India, Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand, Myanmar and Indonesia. The UCLA/Fogarty AITRP achieves this goal by selecting key teaching and governmental institutions within each ..
- Economic Well-being in the Aftermath of the Indian Ocean TsunamiCLARK GRAY; Fiscal Year: 2013This project will support research on population-environment relationships in Indonesia and Ecuador using a variety of new approaches...
- CRCNS: Computational and experimental study of dopamine and serotonin transporterJeffry D Madura; Fiscal Year: 2013..abstract_text> ..
- SPECIES-SPECIFIC DNA PROBES FOR BANCROFTIAN FILARIASISSteven Williams; Fiscal Year: 1990..Analysis of DNA isolated from W. bancrofti from Indonesia has demonstrated the existence of highly repeated genetic elements in this species...
- Tobacco Companies, Global Governance and Public HealthAnna B Gilmore; Fiscal Year: 2013..This is evident in the arbitration claim recently brought to the World Trade Organization (WTO) by Indonesia against Section 907 of the Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act...
- Maternal and Child Health in Poor Countries: Evidence from Randomized EvaluationsESTHER DUFLO; Fiscal Year: 2013..It examines the impact of a government program in Indonesia, Generasi, under which villages receive an annual block grant conditional on the village's performance on ..
- Laboratory Animal &Comparative Medicine TrainingJ Mark Cline; Fiscal Year: 2013..Wake Forest Translational Science Institute;and our long-standing collaborative veterinary training programs in Indonesia. In the past decade 8 fellows have completed research training through this program, and all remain in academic ..
- National Primate Research CenterTHOMAS ALLAN BAILLIE; Fiscal Year: 2011..located in Seattle, the Tulane NPRC, the New Iberia Research Center, and internationally in Tinjil Island, Indonesia. All primates housed in WaNPRC facilities are housed and cared for under conditions that meet or exceed NIH ..
- Training in International Population and Health SciencesDuncan Thomas; Fiscal Year: 2010..at UCLA is an ambitious and innovative program that will train a new generation of population scientists in Indonesia and Mexico...
- Dynamics of Family Well Being in Indonesia After 20 YearsJOHN A STRAUSS; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): This project, Dynamics of Family Well-Being in Indonesia, will put into the public domain a fifth wave of data on children and young adults in Indonesia from the Indonesia Family Life Survey (IFLS), ..
- International Biomedical Research Ethics FellowshipPatricia C Kuszler; Fiscal Year: 2010..The UW Program's target countries are Thailand, China, Vietnam and Indonesia, countries in which we have already have active faculty, institutional and research collaborations...
- Mega Meta Data Set of the Health and Retirement Surveys Around the WorldARIE KAPTEYN; Fiscal Year: 2010..aim 1) adding three additional harmonized data sets - the Japanese Study on Aging and Retirement (J-STAR), the Indonesia Family Life Surveys (IFLS), and the Irish Longitudinal Study on Aging (TILDA) - that were developed to be ..
- Twenty Years On The Fifth Indonesia Family Survey of AgingJOHN A STRAUSS; Fiscal Year: 2013..The Indonesia Family Life Survey of Aging (IFLS) is one such survey, and it has been valuable resource for researchers ..
- Fertility After a Large-Scale DisasterJENNA E NOBLES; Fiscal Year: 2013..Tsunami Aftermath and Recovery (STAR) - collected during 2004-2010 in over 500 communities from two provinces of Indonesia. The study includes regions of Indonesia that were completely destroyed as well as communities that were not ..
- Population and Economic Recovery in Coastal Aceh: Aid and Village InstitutionsJ VERNON HENDERSON; Fiscal Year: 2012..The analysis focuses on coastal villages in Aceh, Indonesia, that were differentially affected by the 2004 tsunami, and will make use of a panel data set (initiated in 2005)..
- A Preventative Adenoviral-Based H5N1 Influenza VaccineAndrea Gambotto; Fiscal Year: 2007..outbreaks of highly pathogenic avian influenza A (H5N1) occurred in several Asian countries (Cambodia, China, Indonesia, Japan, Laos, South Korea, Thailand and Vietnam, North Korea), resulting in 17 human cases in Thailand and 27 in ..
- Duke Center on the Demography of AgingJames W Vaupel; Fiscal Year: 2013..These groups have strong ties with Europe, the former Soviet Union, China, Indonesia, Mexico and elsewhere: the Duke Center will have a strong international emphasis...
- Biological Risk in Taiwan, Indonesia, Mexico, England and U.S.Jung Ki Kim; Fiscal Year: 2012..S., England, Taiwan, Mexico, and Indonesia. The data used in this project include the following nationally representative samples that have been harmonized ..
- ANTIAIDS AGENTS FROM MARINE ORGANISMSMark Hamann; Fiscal Year: 2007..Materials will be sourced through well established relationships with academic programs in Indonesia, Jamaica, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, and Nigeria in addition to the evaluation of domestic samples...
- Analysis of tobacco industry documents--Asia/AustraliaSimon Chapman; Fiscal Year: 2004..material about tobacco control issues in six nations: Australia; New Zealand; China/Hong Kong; Thailand; Indonesia; and Malaysia...
- COMMUNITY AND FAMILY EFFECTS ON CHILD HEALTHElizabeth Frankenberg; Fiscal Year: 1999..roles of community and family in determining infant and child health outcomes and maternal health behaviors in Indonesia over a 16 year period of major demographic and economic change...
- UIC AIDS International Training and Research ProgramJudith A Levy; Fiscal Year: 2013..is designed to build long-term scientific capacities that help to address the AIDS epidemic in Chile, China, Indonesia, and Malawi...
- ONSET OF ACQUIRED IMMUNITY TO MALARIA IN NONIMMUNESKevin Baird; Fiscal Year: 1999..Nonimmune individuals from Java settling in hyperendemic Irian Jaya, Indonesia, acquire clinical immunity within 36 months...
- Micro Foundations of Health and DevelopmentDuncan Thomas; Fiscal Year: 2005..between health and economic prosperity at the micro-level, drawing on extremely rich longitudinal data from Indonesia. The data contain multiple indicators of both health status and economic outcomes of individuals over time...
- Comparative Study of Health Transitions in Later LifeZachary Zimmer; Fiscal Year: 2003..The study involves comparative analyses of recent panel surveys of older populations in Taiwan (1989-1999), Indonesia (1993, 1997, 1998), the Philippines (1996, 2000-2001), and Singapore (1995, 1999)...
- DETECTING EMERGING VECTOR-BORNE ZOONOTIC PATHOGENS IN INDONESIAKhin Saw Aye Myint; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Indonesia is most likely an important place for the study of emerging zoonotic pathogens, especially arboviruses...
- WaNPRC MACACA NEMESTRINA SPF BREEDING COLONYDavid Anderson; Fiscal Year: 2006..In addition, this application seeks to expand a similar colony owned by the WaNPRC, but located in Indonesia. Access to feral animals is not limited in this country of origin and this application seeks to take advantage ..
- CONTRACEPTIVE DYNAMICS AND PROGRAM EFFECTSJACOB KLERMAN; Fiscal Year: 1999..First, using the 5-year calendars from two Demographic and Health Surveys in Indonesia (1991 and 1994) with a combined sample of over 40,000 women (over 2 million months), the project will generalize ..
- FAMILY DECISION MAKING AND DEMOGRAPHIC CHANGEJULIE DA VANZO; Fiscal Year: 2003..as well as other large panel surveys designed and conducted by RAND, to study household behavior in Malaysia, Indonesia, and Bangladesh...
- Macroeconomic Demography of Intergenerational TransfersAndrew Mason; Fiscal Year: 2009..The accounts will be estimated for seven economies, the U.S., France, Brazil, Chile, Japan, Taiwan, and Indonesia, with sufficient historical depth to analyze long-run changes in public policy, economic conditions, and family ..
- Macroeconomic Demography of Intergenerational TransfersRonald Lee; Fiscal Year: 2005..The accounts will be estimated for seven economies, the U.S., France, Brazil, Chile, Japan, Taiwan, and Indonesia, with sufficient historical depth to analyze long-run changes in public policy, economic conditions, and family ..
- Cessation Research and Training in India and IndonesiaHarry Lando; Fiscal Year: 2006..2 million annually in Asian countries, nearly twice that of developed regions. India and Indonesia are especially hard hit by the tobacco epidemic and cigarette consumption is actually increasing in both ..
- The Work, Income, and Micronutrition Pilot StudyJed Friedman; Fiscal Year: 2004..how a micronutrient supplement influences the economic and social productivity of adult and older men in rural Indonesia. The treatment group will receive a multi-vitamin and mineral supplement, including iron, while the control ..
- NUTRITION--PP AMENORRHEA AND WAITING-TIME TO CONCEPTIONRobert Jones; Fiscal Year: 1991..The data derive from the Ngaglik project, a longitudinal birth interval-specific study from central Java, Indonesia. The research will use innovative hazard model analysis to investigate these relationships...
- Intergenerational Support for the Elderly in IndonesiaVICTORIA BEARD; Fiscal Year: 2004..associated with family change and the type and level of support adult children provide their elderly parents in Indonesia. Support here refers to money, goods, time and co-residence...
- Evolutionary Genetics and Ecology of Trichromatic VisionNathaniel Dominy; Fiscal Year: 2004..The Kloss gibbon, isolated for 500,000 years on the Mentawai Islands of Indonesia, is the most frugivorous ape ever observed...
- Iron Deficiency and Anemia in HIV and HCV-Infected WomenRichard Semba; Fiscal Year: 2005..S. and elsewhere. ..
- WHO PAYS THE PRICE OF AN ECONOMIC CRISIS?Duncan Thomas; Fiscal Year: 2005DESCRIPTION: After three decades of sustained economic growth, Indonesia is in the throes of a major economic crisis...
- MICRONUTRIENTS AND MOTHER TO CHILD TRANSMISSION OF HIVRichard Semba; Fiscal Year: 2001..The relationship between mastitis and breastmilk HIV load and the epidemiology and microbiology of mastitis will be examined in a new cohort of HIV-infected lactating women. ..
- HIV PREVENTION IN INDONESIAKathleen Ford; Fiscal Year: 1999..the sustainability of a community-based behavioral intervention for female sex workers, clients, and pimps in Indonesia, Bali. The effectiveness of two long-term maintenance programs will be assessed at 6, 12, and 18-month intervals...
- ADJUNCT VITAMIN A THERAPY FOR TUBERCULOSIS AND HIV/AIDSRichard Semba; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- VITAMIN A SUPPLEMENTATION FOR HIV INFECTED CHILDRENRichard Semba; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- Oxidative Stress and the Pathogenesis of Sarcopenia and Disability in Older WomenRichard Semba; Fiscal Year: 2008..AGEs are a potentially modifiable risk factor, as circulating AGEs can be lowered by dietary modification and by pharmacological intervention. ..
- Hepcidin and the pathogenesis of anemia in older adults.Richard D Semba; Fiscal Year: 2010..This study should provide new insight into the epidemiology and biological mechanisms of anemia among older adults and help identify strategies aimed at the prevention and treatment of anemia. ..
- The Indirect Estimation of MigrationAndrei Rogers; Fiscal Year: 2006..to the American Community Survey Data on migration, and comparable data for two additional nations: Canada and Indonesia. These latter data will be assembled and analyzed with the help of unpaid national demographers (consultants) in ..
- Domoic Acid and Neonatal Microglia ActivationAlejandro Mayer; Fiscal Year: 2004..activated microglia cells and their mediators play in DOM-induced excitotoxic neuronal injury and thus contribute to potential novel approaches for the therapy of the neuropathology associated with Amnesic Shellfish Poisoning in humans ..
- Conference on the Indirect Estimation of MigrationAndrei Rogers; Fiscal Year: 2003..The countries to be represented at the proposed conference are: Australia, Canada, Italy, the United States, Brazil, Indonesia, and Mexico.
- CHILD AND ADULT HEALTH DURING ECONOMIC DOWNTURNElizabeth Frankenberg; Fiscal Year: 2005DESCRIPTION: In the 1980s and for much of the 1990s Indonesia was widely recognized as a development success story. In late 1997 the situation began to change...