Genomes and Genes
Summary: Country located between France on the northeast and Portugal on the west and bordered by the Atlantic Ocean and the Mediterranean Sea. The capital is Madrid.
Publications389 found, 100 shown here
- Food, youth and the Mediterranean diet in Spain. Development of KIDMED, Mediterranean Diet Quality Index in children and adolescentsLluis Serra-Majem
Department of Clinical Sciences, University of Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Spain
Public Health Nutr 7:931-5. 2004..To evaluate dietary habits in Spanish children and adolescents based on a Mediterranean Diet Quality Index tool, which considers certain principles sustaining and challenging traditional healthy Mediterranean dietary patterns...
- Intensive care adult patients with severe respiratory failure caused by Influenza A (H1N1)v in SpainJordi Rello
Critical Care Department, Joan XXIII University Hospital, CIBERes Enfermedades Respiratorias, IISPV, Mallafre Guasch 4, 43007 Tarragona, Spain
Crit Care 13:R148. 2009..We describe the clinical and epidemiologic characteristics of the first 32 persons reported to be admitted to the intensive care unit (ICU) due to influenza A (H1N1)v infection in Spain.
- Potential vertebrate reservoir hosts and invertebrate vectors of Anaplasma marginale and A. phagocytophilum in central SpainJose De La Fuente
Instituto de Investigacion en Recursos Cinegeticos IREC CSIC UCLM JCCM, Ciudad Real, Spain
Vector Borne Zoonotic Dis 5:390-401. 2005..marginale and A. phagocytophilum infections in wild and domestic animals, and ticks collected in central Spain by serology, PCR, and sequence of 16S rRNA genotypes...
- Epidemiology and predictors of mortality in cases of Candida bloodstream infection: results from population-based surveillance, barcelona, Spain, from 2002 to 2003Benito Almirante
Infectious Diseases Division, Hospital Universitari Vall d Hebron, Avda Vall d Hebron, 119 129, 08035 Barcelona, Spain
J Clin Microbiol 43:1829-35. 2005We conducted population-based surveillance for Candida bloodstream infections in Spain to determine its incidence, the extent of antifungal resistance, and risk factors for mortality...
- New molecular data on mammalian Hepatozoon species (Apicomplexa: Adeleorina) from Brazil and SpainA Criado-Fornelio
Laboratory of Parasitology, Department of Microbiology and Parasitology, Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Alcala, 28871 Alcala de Henares, Spain
J Parasitol 92:93-9. 2006..from 13 foxes and 15 opossums from Brazil, and from 15 dogs, 20 foxes, 45 rodents, and 330 domestic cats from Spain. Hemogregarine infection was confirmed by amplification of the 18S rRNA gene and later sequencing...
- Luminescence chronology of cave sediments at the Atapuerca paleoanthropological site, SpainG W Berger
Desert Research Institute, Reno, NV 89512, USA
J Hum Evol 55:300-11. 2008..8m below the TL sample). This age window suggests a correspondence to Marine Isotope Stage (MIS) 25, a relatively warm and humid interglaciation...
- Genetic variation of Citrus tristeza virus isolates from California and Spain: evidence for mixed infections and recombinationL Rubio
Plant Pathology Department, University of California, Davis, California 95616, USA
J Virol 75:8054-62. 2001..and genetic variation of four genomic regions within and between 30 Citrus tristeza virus (CTV) isolates from Spain and California...
- Causes of neonatal mortality in Spain (1975-98): influence of sex, rural-urban residence and age at deathVeronica Alonso
Departamento Zoología y Antropología Física, Facultad de Biologia, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Spain
J Biosoc Sci 38:537-51. 2006Neonatal mortality during the first week of life, corresponding to the years 1975-1998, was studied in Spain. The first week of life is the time in which the highest number of deaths occur...
- Prevalence of COPD in Spain: impact of undiagnosed COPD on quality of life and daily life activitiesM Miravitlles
Fundació Clínic, Institut d Investigacions Biomediques August Pi i Sunyer IDIBAPS, Barcelona, Spain
Thorax 64:863-8. 2009This study aimed to determine the prevalence of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) in Spain and identify the level of undiagnosed disease and its impact on health-related quality of life (HRQL) and activities of daily living (..
- Epidemiology of invasive pneumococcal disease among adult patients in barcelona before and after pediatric 7-valent pneumococcal conjugate vaccine introduction, 1997-2007Carmen Ardanuy
Microbiology Department, Institut d Investigacio Biomedica de Bellvitge, Hospital Universitari de Bellvitge, Barcelona, Spain
Clin Infect Dis 48:57-64. 2009..Little is known about the incidence of IPD after PCV7 licensure in Europe. The objective of this study was to examine changes in the prevalence of IPD among adults in the PCV7 era...
- Putative new lineage of west nile virus, SpainAna Vazquez
Centro Nacional de Microbiologia Instituto de Salud Carlos III, Majadahonda, Spain
Emerg Infect Dis 16:549-52. 2010To ascertain the presence of West Nile virus (WNV), we sampled mosquitoes in 2006 in locations in southern Spain where humans had been infected. WNV genomic RNA was detected in 1 pool from unfed female Culex pipiens mosquitoes...
- Earliest humans in Europe: the age of TD6 Gran Dolina, Atapuerca, SpainC Falgueres
laboratoire de préhistoire du Muséum national d histoire naturelle, UMR 6569 du CNRS, Institut de Paleontologie Humaine, 1, Rue R Panhard, Paris, 75013, France
J Hum Evol 37:343-52. 1999Hominid remains found in 1994 from the stratified Gran Dolina karst-filling at the Atapuerca site in NE Spain were dated to somewhat greater than 780 ka based on palaeomagnetic measurements, making these the oldest known hominids in ..
- Characterization of pathogenic Vibrio parahaemolyticus isolates from clinical sources in Spain and comparison with Asian and North American pandemic isolatesJaime Martinez-Urtaza
Instituto de Acuicultura, Universidad de Santiago de Compostela, Campus Universitario Sur, Santiago de Compostela, Spain
J Clin Microbiol 42:4672-8. 2004..from a large outbreak (64 cases admitted to a single hospital) associated with raw oyster consumption in Galicia, Spain, one of the most important regions in shellfish production worldwide. Two V...
- Determinants of health system delay among confirmed tuberculosis cases in SpainM Diez
TB Research Unit, National Centre for Epidemiology, Carlos III Institute of Public Health, Madrid, Spain
Eur J Public Health 15:343-9. 2005..Health system delay (HSD) is an important issue in tuberculosis (TB) control. This report investigates HSD and associated factors in a cohort of Spanish culture-confirmed TB patients...
- Validation of the geographic position of EPER-Spain industriesJavier Garcia-Perez
Cancer and Environmental Epidemiology Area, National Centre of Epidemiology, Carlos III Institute of Health, Madrid, Spain
Int J Health Geogr 7:1. 2008The European Pollutant Emission Register in Spain (EPER-Spain) is a public inventory of pollutant industries created by decision of the European Union...
- Time trends for thyroid cancer in northwestern Spain: true rise in the incidence of micro and larger forms of papillary thyroid carcinomaAntonia Rego-Iraeta
Endocrine, Diabetes, Nutrition and Metabolism Department, University Hospital of Vigo, Vigo, Spain
Thyroid 19:333-40. 2009..Since data on the epidemiology of thyroid cancer in Spain are scarce, the main goal of this study was to analyze changes in thyroid cancer presentation, incidence, and ..
- Fish consumption during pregnancy, prenatal mercury exposure, and anthropometric measures at birth in a prospective mother-infant cohort study in SpainRosa Ramón
CIBER en Epidemiología y Salud Pública, Barcelona, Spain
Am J Clin Nutr 90:1047-55. 2009..Birth size has been shown to be related to maternal fish intake, although the results are inconsistent...
- Significant differences in the use of healthcare resources of native-born and foreign born in SpainPilar Carrasco-Garrido
Unit of Preventive Medicine and Public Health, Rey Juan Carlos University, Alcorcon, Madrid, Spain
BMC Public Health 9:201. 2009In the last decade, the number of foreign residents in Spain has doubled and it has become one of the countries in the European Union with the highest number of immigrants There is no doubt that the health of the immigrant population has ..
- The nutrition transition in Spain: a European Mediterranean countryL A Moreno
EU Ciencias de la Salud, Universidad de Zaragoza, Zaragoza, Spain
Eur J Clin Nutr 56:992-1003. 2002..Mediterranean diets are felt to be healthful diets linked with reduced mortality from diet-related noncommunicable diseases...
- Integron content of extended-spectrum-beta-lactamase-producing Escherichia coli strains over 12 years in a single hospital in Madrid, SpainElisabete Machado
Hospital Universitario Ramon y Cajal, IMSALUD, Madrid 28034, Spain
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 49:1823-9. 2005....
- Seroprevalence of Leishmania infantum in northwestern Spain, an area traditionally considered free of leishmaniasisInmaculada Amusategui
College of Veterinary Medicine, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Spain
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1026:154-7. 2004Northwestern Spain has traditionally been considered to be free from leishmaniasis...
- Assessment of exposure to secondhand smoke by questionnaire and salivary cotinine in the general population of Barcelona, Spain (2004-2005)Jose M Martínez-Sánchez
Tobacco Control and Research Unit, Institut Català d Oncologia ICO, L Hospitalet de Llobregat Barcelona, Spain
Prev Med 48:218-23. 2009..To estimate the prevalence of self-reported exposure to secondhand smoke (SHS) in different settings and to describe salivary cotinine concentration and its determinants among non-smokers...
- Relationship between bacterial flora in sputum and functional impairment in patients with acute exacerbations of COPD. Study Group of Bacterial Infection in COPDM Miravitlles
Pneumology Department, Hospital Vall d Hebron, Barcelona, Spain
Chest 116:40-6. 1999..To investigate the possible relationship between functional respiratory impairment measured by FEV1 and isolation of diverse pathogens in the sputum of patients with exacerbations of COPD...
- Prevalence of germline mutations of MLH1 and MSH2 in hereditary nonpolyposis colorectal cancer families from SpainTrinidad Caldes
Laboratory of Molecular Oncology, San Carlos University Hospital, Madrid, Spain
Int J Cancer 98:774-9. 2002..Based on our results, we suggest that in the Spanish population not only HNPCC families fulfilling the Amsterdam criteria but also those following Bethesda guidelines should undergo genetic testing for MSH2 and MLH1 mutations...
- Isolation of Malassezia globosa and M. sympodialis from patients with pityriasis versicolor in SpainCarmen Aspiroz
Servicio de Microbiologia, Hospital Royo Villanova, Zaragoza, Spain
Mycopathologia 154:111-7. 2002..sympodialis as the second agent in importance. Malassezia globosa was found to be a species with high levels of esterase and lipase enzymes of probable importance in their pathogenicity...
- Report on the incidence of interstitial lung diseases in SpainAntoni Xaubet
Servei de Pneumologia, ICPCT, Hospital Clinic, IDIBAPS, Barcelona
Sarcoidosis Vasc Diffuse Lung Dis 21:64-70. 2004..We report the results of a registration of ILD by 23 centers of pulmonary medicine in Spain over one year (from October 2000 to September 2001).
- Aortic aneurysm and dissection in patients with biopsy-proven giant cell arteritis from northwestern Spain: a population-based studyMiguel A Gonzalez-Gay
Division of Rheumatology, Hospital Xeral Calde, Lugo, Spain
Medicine (Baltimore) 83:335-41. 2004..of aortic aneurysm and dissection in patients with biopsy-proven GCA from the Lugo region of northwestern Spain and compared the results with those in a 2003 report from Olmsted County, MN...
- Oral health survey of the child population in the Valencia Region of Spain (2004)Jose Manuel Almerich Silla
Stomatology Department University of Valencia
Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal 11:E369-81. 2006....
- Occurrence and genotype characterization of Giardia duodenalis in goat kids from the Canary Islands, SpainAntonio Ruiz
Parasitology Unit, Department of Animal Pathology, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Trasmontana s n, 35413 Arucas, Spain
Vet Parasitol 154:137-41. 2008..study we have analysed the occurrence of Giardia in 315 young goat kids (2-6 months old) from Gran Canaria Island (Spain) through visualization of faecal cysts. The identification of genotypes of G...
- Spread of bla(CTX-M-14) is driven mainly by IncK plasmids disseminated among Escherichia coli phylogroups A, B1, and D in SpainAranzazu Valverde
Servicio de Microbiologia, Hospital Universitario Ramon y Cajal, Madrid, Spain
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 53:5204-12. 2009..its first description in 2000, CTX-M-14 has become one of the most widespread extended-spectrum beta-lactamases in Spain. In the present Escherichia coli multilevel population genetic study involving the characterization of phylogroups,..
- Characterization of West Nile virus isolates from Spain: new insights into the distinct West Nile virus eco-epidemiology in the Western MediterraneanElena Sotelo
Centro de Investigación en Sanidad Animal del Instituto Nacional de Investigación y Tecnología Agraria y Alimentaria, Ctra Algete El Casar, S N, 28130, Valdeolmos Madrid, Spain
Virology 395:289-97. 2009..Here we report the characterization of two recent Western Mediterranean WNV isolates, obtained in Spain in 2007 from two golden eagles...
- Prevalence of chronic renal disease in Spain: results of the EPIRCE studyAlfonso Otero
Nephrology Department, Ourense Hospital, Orense, Spain
Nefrologia 30:78-86. 2010..Chronic kidney disease (CKD) is an independent cardiovascular risk factor. The knowledge of prevalence in general population may help to early detection of CKD and prevent or delay its progression...
- Estimation of dietary sources and flavonoid intake in a Spanish adult population (EPIC-Spain)Raul Zamora-Ros
Nutrition and Food Science Department, XaRTA INSA, Pharmacy School, University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
J Am Diet Assoc 110:390-8. 2010..Epidemiologic studies have suggested associations between flavonoid intake and health benefits. Traditional Mediterranean diets consist of a high consumption of plant products rich in flavonoids...
- A new Lower Pleistocene archeological site in Europe (Vallparadis, Barcelona, Spain)Kenneth Martinez
Institut de Paleoecologia Humana i Evolució Social, 43005 Tarragona, Spain
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107:5762-7. 2010Here we report the discovery of a new late Lower Pleistocene site named Vallparadís (Barcelona, Spain) that produced a rich archeological and paleontological sequence dated from the upper boundary of the Jaramillo subchron to the early ..
- Retrospective study on swine Torque teno virus genogroups 1 and 2 infection from 1985 to 2005 in SpainJoaquim Segales
Centre de Recerca en Sanitat Animal, UAB IRTA, Campus de la Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, 08193 Bellaterra, Barcelona, Spain
Vet Microbiol 134:199-207. 2009..This study represents the earliest evidence of TTV infection in pigs to date, 14 years before the initial description of this virus. Moreover, this is also the earliest evidence of TTV infection in any species...
- Influenza A virus subtypes in wild birds in North-Eastern Spain (Catalonia)Nuria Busquets
Centre de Recerca en Sanitat Animal CReSA, UAB IRTA, Campus de la Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, 08193 Bellaterra, Barcelona, Spain
Virus Res 149:10-8. 2010..subtypes of avian influenza viruses (AIV) in wild birds in the West Mediterranean area (Catalonia, North-Eastern Spain)...
- [Scientific production in infectious diseases in Spain (1991-2001): position within the European Union]José Manuel Ramos-Rincón
Unidad de Enfermedades Infecciosas Servicio de Medicina Interna Hospital General Universitario de Elche Alicante España
Enferm Infecc Microbiol Clin 22:22-8. 2004..The objective of this study was to quantitatively determine Spain's medical research output published in the journals included in the Infectious Diseases section of the Journal ..
- Enteroviruses in Spain over the decade 1998-2007: virological and epidemiological studiesG Trallero
National Centre for Microbiology, Instituto de Salud Carlos III, 28220 Majadahonda, Madrid, Spain
J Clin Virol 47:170-6. 2010..Human enteroviruses (HEV) are the commonest cause of viral meningitis as well as other pathologies, therefore HEV characterization is important both in patient management and epidemiological investigation...
- Cutaneous leishmaniosis in three horses in SpainL Solano-Gallego
Department of Pharmacology, Therapeutics and Toxicology, Faculty of Veterinary, Autonomous University of Barcelona, 08193 Bellaterra, Spain
Equine Vet J 35:320-3. 2003
- Serotypes, virulence genes, and intimin types of Shiga toxin (verotoxin)-producing Escherichia coli isolates from cattle in Spain and identification of a new intimin variant gene (eae-xi)M Blanco
Departamento de Microbioloxia e Parasitoloxia, Facultade de Veterinaria, Universidade de Santiago de Compostela, 27002 Lugo, Spain
J Clin Microbiol 42:645-51. 2004A total of 514 Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli (STEC) isolates from diarrheic and healthy cattle in Spain were characterized in this study...
- Dramatic increase in prevalence of fecal carriage of extended-spectrum beta-lactamase-producing Enterobacteriaceae during nonoutbreak situations in SpainAranzazu Valverde
Servicio de Microbiologia, Hospital Universitario Ramon y Cajal, Madrid, Spain
J Clin Microbiol 42:4769-75. 2004....
- An Early Pleistocene hominin mandible from Atapuerca-TD6, SpainE Carbonell
Area de Prehistoria, Universitat Rovira i Virgili, Plaza Imperial Tarraco 1, 43005 Tarragona, Spain
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 102:5674-8. 2005..recovered in 2003 from the Aurora Stratum of the TD6 level of the Gran Dolina site (Sierra de Atapuerca, northern Spain)...
- Prevalence of swine Torque teno virus in post-weaning multisystemic wasting syndrome (PMWS)-affected and non-PMWS-affected pigs in SpainTuija Kekarainen
Centre de Recerca en Sanitat Animal CReSA, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, 08193 Bellaterra, Barcelona, Spain
J Gen Virol 87:833-7. 2006..These results indicate a high prevalence of both swine TTV genogroups in Spain, being present more frequently in PMWS-affected animals than in non-PMWS-affected animals.
- Gender differences in the utilization of health-care services among the older adult population of SpainAurea Redondo-Sendino
Department of Preventive Medicine and Public Health, School of Medicine, Universidad Autonoma de Madrid, Madrid, Spain
BMC Public Health 6:155. 2006..Compared to men, women report greater morbidity and make greater use of health-care services. This study examines potential determinants of gender differences in the utilization of health-care services among the elderly...
- Health related quality of life in immigrants and native school aged adolescents in SpainKarin Pantzer
Catalan Agency for Health Technology Assessment and Research, Barcelona, Spain
J Epidemiol Community Health 60:694-8. 2006..To compare health related quality of life (HRQL) between native and immigrant adolescents aged 12 to 18 years, and to analyse psychosocial factors associated with HRQL...
- Serological and molecular evidence of exposure to arthropod-borne organisms in cats from northeastern SpainLaia Solano-Gallego
Department of Clinical Sciences, College of Veterinary Medicine, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC 27606, USA
Vet Microbiol 118:274-7. 2006One hundred sixty-eight cat sera from Spain were tested for IgG antibodies to Rickettsia conorii (Rc), Ehrlichia canis (Ec), Anaplasma phagocytophilum (Ap) and Bartonella henselae (Bh) antigens using IFA and for FeLV antigen and FIV ..
- Tick-borne zoonotic bacteria in wild and domestic small mammals in northern SpainJ F Barandika
NEIKER, Instituto Vasco de Investigación y Desarrollo Agrario, 48160 Derio Bizkaia, Spain
Appl Environ Microbiol 73:6166-71. 2007..burnetii, and spotted fever group rickettsiae) infecting 253 small mammals captured in the Basque Country (Spain) were assessed using PCR and reverse line blot hybridization...
- Sarcoptic mange in Spanish ibex from SpainL Leon-Vizcaino
Enfermedades Infecciosas, Departamento de Patologia Animal, Facultad de Veterinaria, Universidad de Murcia, Espana
J Wildl Dis 35:647-59. 1999..Spanish ibex (Capra pyrenaica hispanica) population of the "Sierras de Cazorla, Segura y Las Villas" Nature Park (Spain) was isolated as the result of a severe epidemic of sarcoptic mange...
- Mutations in GCK and HNF-1alpha explain the majority of cases with clinical diagnosis of MODY in SpainItziar Estalella
Endocrinology and Diabetes Research Group, Hospital de Cruces, Barakaldo, Basque Country, Spain
Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 67:538-46. 2007..The aim of this study was to group patients with MODY (maturity-onset diabetes of the young) according to the genetic alterations underlying the disease and to investigate their clinical characteristics...
- Characterisation of PCV-2 isolates from Spain, Germany and FranceA Mankertz
Robert Koch Institut, P24 Xenotransplantation, Nordufer 20, 13353, Berlin, Germany
Virus Res 66:65-77. 2000..This report describes the characterisation of PCV-2 isolates from animals affected with PMWS from Germany, Spain and France. We could demonstrate the presence of circovirus by electron microscope, in situ hybridisation and PCR...
- Epidemiology, risk factors, and prognosis of Candida parapsilosis bloodstream infections: case-control population-based surveillance study of patients in Barcelona, Spain, from 2002 to 2003Benito Almirante
Infectious Diseases Department, Hospital Universitari Vall d Hebron, Pg Vall d Hebron 119 129, 08035 Barcelona, Spain
J Clin Microbiol 44:1681-5. 2006..parapsilosis fungemia. Data from active population-based surveillance in Barcelona, Spain, from January 2002 to December 2003 were analyzed. We focused on 78 episodes of C...
- Emergency hospital services utilization in Lleida (Spain): A cross-sectional study of immigrant and Spanish-born populationsMontserrat Rue
Biomedical Research Institut, Lleida IRBLLEIDA, Spain
BMC Health Serv Res 8:81. 2008The use of emergency hospital services (EHS) has increased steadily in Spain in the last decade while the number of immigrants has increased dramatically...
- Canine leishmaniasis in southeastern SpainJoaquina Martin-Sanchez
Universidad de Granada, Granada, Spain
Emerg Infect Dis 15:795-8. 2009..Seroprevalence had increased at the meso-Mediterranean bioclimatic level over 22 years. Risk was highest for dogs that were older, large, lived outside, and lived at the meso-Mediterranean level...
- Nonylphenol and octylphenol in adipose tissue of women in Southern SpainM J Lopez-Espinosa
Laboratory of Medical Investigations, San Cecilio University Hospital, University of Granada, CIBER de Epidemiología y Salud Pública CIBERESP, 18071 Granada, Spain
Chemosphere 76:847-52. 2009..NP) and 4-octylphenol (OP) residues in adipose tissue of non-occupationally exposed women living in Southern Spain. NP was detected in 100% (n=20/20) and OP in 23.5% (n=4/20) of samples, with median levels of 57 and 4...
- High prevalence of subtype 4 among isolates of Blastocystis hominis from symptomatic patients of a health district of Valencia (Spain)M Victoria Domínguez-Márquez
Servicio de Microbiologia, Hospital Universitario de La Ribera, Alzira 46600, Spain
Parasitol Res 105:949-55. 2009In order to know the genetic diversity of Blastocystis hominis from a health district of Valencia (Spain) 51 clinical isolates from symptomatic patients, 31 axenic and 20 monoxenic, were ribotyped by analysing the restriction fragment ..
- Risk factors associated with the prevalence of tuberculosis-like lesions in fenced wild boar and red deer in south central SpainJoaquin Vicente
Instituts de Investigación en Recursos cinegéticos IREC CSIC UCLM JCCM, Ronda de Toledo s n, 13080 Ciudad Real, Spain
Vet Res 38:451-64. 2007In recent decades the management of large game mammals has become increasingly intensive in south central Spain (SCS), resulting in complex epidemiological scenarios for disease maintenance, and has probably impeded schemes to eradicate ..
- Pulmonary ventilatory defects and occupational exposures in a population-based study in Spain. Spanish Group of the European Community Respiratory Health SurveyJ Sunyer
Respiratory and Environmental Health Research Unit, IMIM, Barcelona, Spain
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 157:512-7. 1998..of chronic bronchitis and pulmonary ventilatory defects in a general population-based study of five areas in Spain. This study forms part of the European Community Respiratory Health Study (ECRHS)...
- Prevalence of constipation: agreement among several criteria and evaluation of the diagnostic accuracy of qualifying symptoms and self-reported definition in a population-based survey in SpainVicente Garrigues
Gastroenterology Unit, Hospital Universitari La Fe, Valencia, Spain
Am J Epidemiol 159:520-6. 2004..Anal blockage, straining, and hard stools show the greatest accuracy for the diagnosis of constipation...
- Waterborne epidemic outbreak of Shigella sonnei gastroenteritis in Santa Maria de Palautordera, Catalonia, SpainC Arias
Epidemiological Surveillance Unit of the Central Region, Department of Health of the Generalitat of Catalonia, Spain
Epidemiol Infect 134:598-604. 2006..This shigellosis outbreak was the largest reported in Spain. The impact of the epidemic was probably greater than the incidence detected.
- Pool screen PCR for estimating the prevalence of Leishmania infantum infection in sandflies (Diptera: Nematocera, Phlebotomidae)J Martin-Sanchez
Departamento de Parasitologia, Facultad de Farmacia, Universidad de Granada, Spain
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 100:527-32. 2006..sandflies from six collection points in two stable foci of leishmaniasis in southern (N=3) and north-eastern (N=3) Spain, following standard procedures. A fraction of the collected females was dissected and morphologically identified...
- [Guide to the principles and methods of health sentinel networks in Spain]Agustín Tomás Vega Alonso
Observatorio de Salud Pública, Consejeria de Sanidad, Junta de Castilla y Leon, Valladolid, Espana
Gac Sanit 20:52-60. 2006..communities by providing a common methodology, which could be highly useful when introducing new networks in Spain. Finally, we conclude that it is important to raise awareness of the concept of health sentinel networks, ..
- Resistance to spinosad in the western flower thrips, Frankliniella occidentalis (Pergande), in greenhouses of south-eastern SpainPablo Bielza
Departamento de Producción Vegetal, Universidad Politecnica de Cartagena, Paseo Alfonso XIII 48, 30203 Cartagena, Spain
Pest Manag Sci 63:682-7. 2007..Susceptibility to spinosad of western flower thrips (WFT), Frankliniella occidentalis (Pergande), from south-eastern Spain was determined...
- Genetic analysis of BRCA1 and BRCA2 in breast/ovarian cancer families from Aragon (Spain): two novel truncating mutations and a large genomic deletion in BRCA1M D Miramar
Medical Genetics Unit, Biochemistry Service, Miguel Servet Hospital, Zaragoza, Spain
Breast Cancer Res Treat 112:353-8. 2008..and BRCA2 germline mutations in 60 high-risk breast and/or ovarian cancer patients and 20 relatives from Aragon (Spain) by DHPLC (Denaturing High Performance Liquid Chromatography) and direct sequencing of the entire coding sequence ..
- Trend and seasonality of tuberculosis in Spain, 1996-2004F J Luquero
Servicio de Medicina Preventiva y Salud Publica, Hospital Clinico Universitario de Valladolid, Valladolid, Spain
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 12:221-4. 2008This study aimed to analyse the trend and seasonality of tuberculosis (TB) in Spain over the past decade. Weekly TB incidence was calculated using data from the National Surveillance Network for the period 1996-2004...
- SLC45A2: a novel malignant melanoma-associated geneL P Fernandez
Human Genetics Group, Human Cancer Genetics Program, Centro Nacional de Investigaciones Oncologicas, Madrid, Spain
Hum Mutat 29:1161-7. 2008..This is the first time SLC45A2 has been described as a melanoma susceptibility gene in a light-skinned population...
- Predicting the onset and persistence of episodes of depression in primary health care. The predictD-Spain study: methodologyJuan Angel Bellón
Departamento de Medicina Preventiva, Universidad de Málaga Unidad de Investigación de Atención Primaria de Málaga redIAPP, grupo SAMSERAP, Centro de Salud El Palo, Spain
BMC Public Health 8:256. 2008..Here we explain the general methodology of the predictD-Spain study and evaluate the reliability of the questionnaires used.
- Prevalence and diversity of integrons and associated resistance genes in faecal Escherichia coli isolates of healthy humans in SpainLaura Vinué
Área de Bioquímica y Biología Molecular, Universidad de La Rioja, Logrono, Spain
J Antimicrob Chemother 62:934-7. 2008To analyse the prevalence and diversity of integrons in faecal Escherichia coli isolates from healthy humans in Spain.
- Metabolic syndrome in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus from Southern SpainJ M Sabio
Systemic Autoimmune Diseases Unit, Hospital Universitario Virgen de las Nieves, Granada, Spain
Lupus 17:849-59. 2008..In a multivariate analysis, educational level, serum triglycerides, HDL-cholesterol and C3 serum levels and hydroxychloroquine use were independently associated with MS...
- [Asian tiger mosquito bites: perception of the affected population after Aedes albopictus became established in Spain]N Curco
Servicio de Dermatologia, Hospital Mutua de Terrasa, Barcelona, Espana
Actas Dermosifiliogr 99:708-13. 2008The presence of Aedes albopictus was detected in Spain in 2004 and it has now become fully established, causing significant discomfort among the population in the affected areas.
- Validation the Oral Health Impact Profile (OHIP-14sp) for adults in SpainJavier Montero-Martín
Department of Dentistry, School of Medicine, University of Salamanca, Spain
Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal 14:E44-50. 2009..One of the most internationally spread indicators is the Oral Health Impact Profile (OHIP-14), but it has still never been applied in Spain. The aim of this study was to validate the OHIP-14 for use among adults in Spain.
- Craniosynostosis in the Middle Pleistocene human Cranium 14 from the Sima de los Huesos, Atapuerca, SpainAna Gracia
Centro Mixto UCM ISCIII de Evolución y Comportamiento Humanos, c Sinesio Delgado 4, Pabellón 14, 28029 Madrid, Spain
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 106:6573-8. 2009..human Middle Pleistocene immature specimen, Cranium 14, recovered at the Sima de los Huesos (SH) site (Atapuerca, Spain), that constitutes the oldest evidence in human evolution of a very rare pathology in our own species, lambdoid ..
- The sale of antibiotics without prescription in pharmacies in Catalonia, SpainCarl Llor
Primary Care Center Jaume I, University Rovira i Virgili, Tarragona, Spain
Clin Infect Dis 48:1345-9. 2009Current regulations in Spain state that antibiotics cannot be sold without a medical prescription...
- Zoonotic Dirofilaria immitis infections in a province of Northern SpainR Morchon
Laboratory of Parasitology, Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Salamanca, Salamanca, Spain
Epidemiol Infect 138:380-3. 2010..In our study, epidemiological data on canine and human dirofilariasis for La Rioja (Northern Spain) have been obtained for the first time. The overall prevalence of D...
- Subgingival microbial profiles in chronic periodontitis patients from Chile, Colombia and SpainDavid Herrera
ETEP Research Group, Faculty of Dentistry, University Complutense, Madrid, Spain
J Clin Periodontol 35:106-13. 2008To investigate the subgingival microbiota of distinct periodontitis patient populations, in Chile, Colombia and Spain, using identical clinical and bacteriological methods.
- Levels of heavy metals and metalloids in critically endangered Iberian lynx and other wild carnivores from Southern SpainJ Millan
Department of Conservation Biology, Estacion Biologica de Donana CSIC, Avda Maria Luisa s n, 41013 Sevilla, Spain
Sci Total Environ 399:193-201. 2008..world with a wild population which probably stands at less than 200 individuals inhabiting two areas in Southern Spain (Doñana and Sierra Morena) that are known to have been contaminated by heavy metals and metalloids due to a long ..
- Improvement in process of care and outcome after a multicenter severe sepsis educational program in SpainRicard Ferrer
Centro de Críticos, Hospital de Sabadell, CIBER Enfermedades Respiratorias, Instituto Universitario Parc Tauli, Universidad Autonoma de Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
JAMA 299:2294-303. 2008..Concern exists that current guidelines for care of patients with severe sepsis and septic shock are followed variably, possibly due to a lack of adequate education...
- Impact of pesticides used in agriculture and vineyards to surface and groundwater quality (North Spain)Alain Hildebrandt
Department of Environmental Chemistry, IIQAB Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Cientificas, Jordi Girona 18 26, Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain
Water Res 42:3315-26. 2008..Only trace levels were rarely detected in the Miño river basin. Groundwater levels were higher than surface water levels for the studied pesticides...
- Primary Sjögren syndrome in Spain: clinical and immunologic expression in 1010 patientsManuel Ramos-Casals
Department of Autoimmune Diseases, IDIBAPS, Hospital Clinic, Barcelona, Spain
Medicine (Baltimore) 87:210-9. 2008..Primary SS should be considered as a systemic autoimmune disease that can express in many guises beyond sicca involvement...
- Economic burden of knee and hip osteoarthritis in SpainEstibaliz Loza
Hospital Clinico San Carlos, Madrid, Spain
Arthritis Rheum 61:158-65. 2009To estimate the direct and indirect osteoarthritis (OA)-attributable costs and predictors of costs of knee and hip OA in Spain.
- First record of Culicoides imicola, the main vector of bluetongue virus in Europe, in the Basque Country (northern Spain)A Goldarazena
Laboratorio de Entomologia, NEIKER Tecnalia, Instituto Vasco de Investigación y Desarrollo Agrario, Apdo 46 Arkaute, E01080 Vitoria Gasteiz, Spain
Vet Rec 162:820-1. 2008
- FLIP-2 Study: risk factors linked to respiratory syncytial virus infection requiring hospitalization in premature infants born in Spain at a gestational age of 32 to 35 weeksJose Figueras-Aloy
Neonatology Hospital Clínic, Institut de Ginecologia, Obstetricia i Neonatologia, Barcelona, Spain
Pediatr Infect Dis J 27:788-93. 2008..of the present study was to validate the risk factors found in a previous epidemiologic case-control study regarding hospitalization as a result of RSV infection in premature infants born at 32-35 weeks of gestational age (WGA) in Spain.
- HIV-1 transmission cluster with T215D revertant mutation among newly diagnosed patients from the Basque Country, SpainMaria Teresa Cuevas
Viral Pathogenesis Department, Centro Nacional de Microbiologia, Instituto de Salud Carlos III, Majadahonda, Madrid, Spain
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 51:99-103. 2009To determine the introduction of HIV-1 genetic forms and to examine transmission clusters and resistance to antiretroviral inhibitors among newly diagnosed patients from the Basque Country, Spain, during 2004-2007.
- [HIV infection in immigrants in Spain: Epidemiological characteristics and clinical presentation in the CoRIS Cohort (2004-2006)]Ana María Caro-Murillo
Centro Nacional de Epidemiologia, Instituto de Salud Carlos III, Ministerio de Ciencia e Innovacion, Madrid, Espana
Enferm Infecc Microbiol Clin 27:380-8. 2009A growing number of immigrants are using the public health services for HIV in Spain. We describe the sociodemographic, epidemiological, and clinical characteristics of a cohort of naïve HIV-infected subjects (CoRIS cohort) according to ..
- Extended-spectrum and CMY-type beta-lactamase-producing Escherichia coli in clinical samples and retail meat from Pittsburgh, USA and Seville, SpainY Doi
Division of Infectious Diseases, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Clin Microbiol Infect 16:33-8. 2010..coli at hospitals in Pittsburgh, USA and Seville, Spain were investigated. Retail meat purchased in these cities was also studied for the presence of these organisms...
- Human tuberculosis due to Mycobacterium bovis and M. caprae in Spain, 2004-2007E Rodriguez
National Centre for Epidemiology, Carlos III Institute of Health, Madrid, Spain
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 13:1536-41. 2009To identify the characteristics associated with human tuberculosis (TB) caused by Mycobacterium bovis and M. caprae in Spain.
- Finding of Parastrongylus cantonensis (Chen, 1935) in Rattus rattus in Tenerife, Canary Islands (Spain)Pilar Foronda
Institute of Tropical Diseases and Public Health of the Canary Islands, Avda Astrofísico Fco Sánchez s n, 38203 Tenerife, Canary Islands, Spain
Acta Trop 114:123-7. 2010..In the Canary Islands (Spain) a survey of helminths of Rattus rattus, Rattus norvegicus and Mus musculus domesticus was carried out...
- Ambient air levels of volatile organic compounds (VOC) and nitrogen dioxide (NO2) in a medium size city in Northern SpainM A Parra
Laboratorio Integrado de Calidad Ambiental LICA, Departamento de Quimica y Edafologia, Facultad de Ciencias, Universidad de Navarra Irunlarrea 1, 31008, Pamplona, Navarra, Spain
Sci Total Environ 407:999-1009. 2009..dioxide (NO2) were measured by means of passive sampling at 40 sampling points in a medium-size city in Northern Spain, from June 2006 to June 2007...
- Cloning and sequence of the gene encoding a novel cefotaxime-hydrolyzing beta-lactamase (CTX-M-9) from Escherichia coli in SpainM Sabate
Departament de Microbiologia, Hospital de la Santa Creu i Sant Pau, Universitat Autònoma 08025 Barcelona, Spain
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 44:1970-3. 2000..Outside of this region there are only six amino acids substitutions between both proteins...
- Studies on pharmaceutical ethnobotany in the region of Pallars (Pyrenees, Catalonia, Iberian Peninsula). Part I. General results and new or very rare medicinal plantsA Agelet
, , Universitat de Barcelona. Av. Joan XXIII s/n, 08028 Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain
J Ethnopharmacol 77:57-70. 2001..Further papers will deal with unreported or very uncommon uses for known medicinal plant species and with medicinal non-vascular plants...
- Prevalence and incidence of hypopituitarism in an adult Caucasian population in northwestern SpainM Regal
Endocrine Division, General Hospital of Vigo, Spain
Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 55:735-40. 2001..population comprised an average population sample of 146,000 adult inhabitants in South Galicia (northwestern Spain)...
- Capsule switching among C:2b:P1.2,5 meningococcal epidemic strains after mass immunization campaign, SpainBelén Alcalá
Centro Nacional de Microbiologia Instituto de Salud Carlos III, Madrid, Spain
Emerg Infect Dis 8:1512-4. 2002A mass immunization campaign for 18-month to 19-year-olds was undertaken in Spain in 1996-1997 because of an epidemic of serogroup C meningococcal disease associated with a C:2b:P1.2,5 strain belonging to the A4 lineage...
- Prevalence of Brachyspira species in pigs with diarrhoea in SpainA Carvajal
Departamento de Sanidad Animal Enfermedades Infecciosas y Epidemiología, Facultad de Veterinaria, Universidad de Leon, E 24071 Leon, Spain
Vet Rec 158:700-1. 2006
- Emergence and dissemination of Enterobacteriaceae isolates producing CTX-M-1-like enzymes in Spain are associated with IncFII (CTX-M-15) and broad-host-range (CTX-M-1, -3, and -32) plasmidsAngela Novais
Servicio de Microbiologia, Hospital Universitario Ramon y Cajal, IMSALUD, Carretera de Colmenar, Km 9 1, Madrid 28034, Spain
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 51:796-9. 2007The spread of CTX-M-1-like enzymes in Spain is associated with particular plasmids of broad-host-range IncN (blaCTX-M-32, blaCTX-M-1), IncL/M (blaCTX-M-1), and IncA/C2 (blaCTX-M-3) or narrow-host-range IncFII (blaCTX-M-15)...
- Clinical risk conditions for acute lung injury in the intensive care unit and hospital ward: a prospective observational studyNiall D Ferguson
Interdepartmental Division of Critical Care Medicine, University Health Network, University of Toronto, 399 Bathurst Street, F2 150, Toronto, Ontario M5T 2S8, Canada
Crit Care 11:R96. 2007....
- Hospital admission is a relevant source of hepatitis C virus acquisition in SpainEva Martinez-Bauer
Liver Unit, Hospital Clinic de Barcelona, IDIBAPS, Ciber de Enfermedades Hepaticas y Digestivas, CIBERehd, Spain
J Hepatol 48:20-7. 2008..The aim of this study was to investigate the current relevance of nosocomial HCV infection...
- Epidemiology and cost of treatment of genital warts in SpainXavier Castellsague
Cancer Epidemiology Research Program, Institut Catala d Oncologia, IDIBELL, CIBERESP, L Hospitalet de Llobregat, Spain
Eur J Public Health 19:106-10. 2009..Ninety percent of GW are due to Human Papillomavirus (HPV) types 6 and 11. The objective of this study was to assess the epidemiology and management costs associated with GW in Spain.
- Role of European mitochondrial DNA haplogroups in the prevalence of hip osteoarthritis in Galicia, Northern SpainI Rego
Osteoarticular and Aging Research Laboratory, Biomedical Center Research, INIBIC Rheumatology Division, CH Universitario A Coruña, Coruna, Spain
Ann Rheum Dis 69:210-3. 2010..To analyse the mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) haplogroups of patients with hip osteoarthritis (OA) and those of healthy controls in a Spanish population...
- Air pollution exposure during pregnancy and reduced birth size: a prospective birth cohort study in Valencia, SpainFerran Ballester
Center for Public Health Research CSISP, Conselleria de Sanitat, 46020, Valencia, Spain
Environ Health 9:6. 2010..The objective of this study was to assess the association between exposure to air pollution during pregnancy and anthropometric measures at birth in a cohort in Valencia, Spain.
- The virus causing encephalomyelitis in sheep in Spain: a new member of the tick-borne encephalitis groupM S Marin
Institute of Virology and Environmental Microbiology, Edinburgh
Res Vet Sci 58:11-3. 1995..It is concluded that the cause of sheep encephalomyelitis in Spain is a distinct species in the tick-borne encephalitis virus group.
- Epizootiology of sarcoptic mange in a population of cantabrian chamois (Rupicapra pyrenaica parva) in northwestern SpainJ Fernandez-Moran
Zoo de Barcelona, Parc de La Ciutadella, Spain
Vet Parasitol 73:163-71. 1997..was detected in the chamois (Rupicapra pyrenaica parva) population of the Cantabrian Mountains in northwestern Spain. The epizootic initially spread across an area inhabited by some 1600 chamois...
- Smoking initiation and cessation by gender and educational level in Catalonia, SpainE Fernandez
Institut Catala d Oncologia, L Hospitalet, Barcelona, Spain
Prev Med 32:218-23. 2001..The aim of this study was to analyze smoking initiation and cessation according to level of education and gender in Catalonia, Spain.
- COMMUNITY BASED STUDY ON OCCUPATIONAL ASTHMA, ECRHS-OAManolis Kogevinas; Fiscal Year: 2001..approximately 17,000 young adults from 12 countries (Australia, Belgium, France, Germany, Iceland, Italy, Norway, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, UK and USA)...
- Phase I Study of Thyroid Hormone in PrematuresEdmund LaGamma; Fiscal Year: 2007..Hospital-Academic Medical Center, Amsterdam, the Netherlands; and Hospital La Paz-Autonomous University of Madrid, Spain. Measures of thyroid hormone and iodine status will be obtained at specific times on study subjects and their ..
- Novel TIRF microscopy analyzing trafficking & signaling at the cell cortexDerek Toomre; Fiscal Year: 2009..Consistent with the recovery act's goal, this funding will provide full-time summer employment for 4 undergraduate students and accelerate scientific achievement of the parent DP2 award...
- Laura E Nagy; Fiscal Year: 2016..history of ALD, from steatosis to fibrosis and hepatocarcinoma, as well as those with severe ASH, from Barcelona, Spain. Studies in patients with severe ASH will be confirmed in a US cohort of patients in Cleveland Ohio...
- International Workshop on Opportunistic Protists (IWOP-12, 13 and 14)Louis M Weiss; Fiscal Year: 2012..IWOP-12 is scheduled for August 2012 in Tarrytown, NY, IWOP-13 for August 2014 in Seville, Spain;and IWOP-14 for July 2016 in Cincinnati, Ohio...
- Emanuel Rubin; Fiscal Year: 2016..and skeletal muscle tissues derived from patients on life support systems at the Hospital Clinic in Barcelona, Spain, and continue to obtain additional specimens. We have also established a productive collaboration with Dr...
- Molecular Pathogenesis of Coenzyme Q10 DeficiencyMichio Hirano; Fiscal Year: 2012..Aim 4: In collaboration with Professor Pl[unreadable]cido Navas, University of Sevilla, Spain, we will characterize CoQ10 biosynthetic genes and mutations in yeast.
- 23rd Annual Fanconi Anemia Research Fund Scientific SymposiumGROVER CARLTON BAGBY; Fiscal Year: 2011..This application seeks partial support for this meeting, scheduled to be held in Barcelona, Spain in October 2011.
- Advances in Plasmodium Vivax Malaria ResearchJane M Carlton; Fiscal Year: 2013..Advances in Plasmodium Vivax Malaria Research, to be held at the CosmoCaixa science museum in Barcelona, Spain on June 5-7, 2013...
- Monica Guma; Fiscal Year: 2016..D. studies in Immunology in Barcelona, Spain. She then moved to San Diego to join Dr...
- Population-Based Studies in Hispanics: Methodological Issues in Cancer ResearchERICK LEONARDO SUAREZ; Fiscal Year: 2011..Describe the most recent cancer investigations in Latin-American countries, Puerto Rico, Spain, Canada and United States of America using population-based studies in cancer-related research in Hispanic ..
- Center for Computational Mass-SpectrometryPavel A Pevzner; Fiscal Year: 2011..hospitals and biotechnology companies, as well as foreign research institutions at Germany, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, and United Kingdom, we propose to further extend these collaborations by developing robust open access ..
- Margarita Alegria; Fiscal Year: 2016..economic opportunities have moved unprecedented numbers of migrants from Latin America to host countries like Spain and the US...
- Marisa Roberto; Fiscal Year: 2016..countries: Russia, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, China, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Italy, Japan, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom, and the United States...
- Coro Paisan-Ruiz; Fiscal Year: 2014..All proposed ET patients are from the same geographical region in the North of Spain and are subject to an ongoing full clinical trial that includes exhaustive clinical, neurophysiological, ..
- Pavel A Pevzner; Fiscal Year: 2016..hospitals and biotechnology companies, as well as foreign research institutions at Germany, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, and United Kingdom, we propose to further extend these collaborations by developing robust open access ..
- Diana L Robins; Fiscal Year: 2016..used in the US, and is being studied in translation in other countries and cultures, including Japan, China, Spain, the Netherlands, France, Iceland, Ireland, Germany, Egypt, Puerto Rico and Turkey...
- Kevin C Chung; Fiscal Year: 2016..Dr. Maria Soengas joined the program this grant period, but will soon leave to a position in Madrid, Spain. The Grant supports two postdoctoral fellows per year, plus supplies, course work and travel allowances...
- Validating the CalFit Smartphone Sensor in Two Epidemiological InvestigationsEdmund Seto; Fiscal Year: 2013..communities;and (2) in the Transportation, Air Pollution and physical ActivitieS (TAPAS) project in Barcelona, Spain, focused on determinants of active commuting by bicycling or walking...
- PRF 11th Anniversary Workshop on Progeria - "Hand in Hand: Basic and ClinicaLeslie B Gordon; Fiscal Year: 2013..Carlos L[unreadable]pez-Ot[unreadable]n, PhD (Oviedo, Spain) will moderate a session on progerin and lamin partners in health and disease, with leading lamin biologists such ..
- Targeting Cell Signaling in lung cancer to enhance therapeutic efficacyFadlo Raja Khuri; Fiscal Year: 2012..trials and assessment of biomarkers from the Neoadjuvant Trial of Chemotherapy Hope (NATCH) being conducted in Spain. The ultimate goal of this program project is three-fold: 1) to enhance efficacy of existing agents (taxanes);2) ..
- Urea Cycle Disorders Satellite Symposium to the 12th ICIEMMarshall L Summar; Fiscal Year: 2013..Symposium to the 12th International Congress of Inborn Errors of Metabolism (ICIEM) Conference in Barcelona, Spain on September 2, 2013...
- 9th International Myotonic Dystrophy Consortium MeetingRichard T Moxley; Fiscal Year: 2013..IDMC-9 is scheduled to convene in San Sebasti[unreadable]n, Spain from October 16th to October 19th, 2013...
- The Ninth International Congress of Neuroethology ProposalGeorge D Pollak; Fiscal Year: 2010..to help support the Ninth International Congress of Neuroethology (ICN) to held on August 2-7, 2010 in Salamanca, Spain. The ICN, which is organized by the International Society for Neuroethology, has been held every three years since ..
- International EMT meetingRAYMOND BRUCE RUNYAN; Fiscal Year: 2013..The meeting will be held Nov 13-15, 2013 in Alicante, Spain under the auspices of the Epithelial-Mesenchymal Transition International Association (TEMTIA)...
- Pooling HIV Cohorts to Inform Clinical DecisionMiguel Hernan; Fiscal Year: 2010..Study (USA), the Swiss HIV Cohort Study (Switzerland), the French Hospital Database HIV Study (France), GEMES (Spain), and PISCIS (Catalonia and Balearic Islands, Spain)...
- 23rd Annual Conference of the International Society for Environmental EpidemMARIE SYLVIA O'NEILL; Fiscal Year: 2011..Epidemiology (ISEE) will be held at the Palau de Congresos de Barcelona in Plaza d'Espana, Barcelona, Spain from September 13-16, 2011. The theme is ""The Encompassing Face of Environmental Epidemiology"...
- LUIS M MOTA-BRAVO; Fiscal Year: 2016..affecting a disproportionately large number of US-minorities at prestigious research institutions in Mexico and Spain. Trainees participate in original data collection in ongoing research project collaborations between leading UCI ..
- Maria Luisa Alcaide; Fiscal Year: 2016..by applicant): Candidate: Maria L Alcaide received her medical degree from The Universidad Autonoma de Madrid, Spain and completed her Internal Medicine residency and Fellowship in Infectious Diseases at Jackson Memorial Hospital ..
- PENICILLIN RESPONSE GENES IN DRUG-RESISTANT PNEUMOCOCCIAlexander Tomasz; Fiscal Year: 1999..Exceedingly high incidence of pneumococcal resistance has been reported (50% of all invasive isolates in Spain and 70% of all pediatric isolates in Hungary)...
- Organization for Human Brain Mapping (OBHM)travel awardsThomas J Grabowski; Fiscal Year: 2013..Canada, 2005;Florence Italy, 2006;Melbourne Australia 2007;Chicago, Ill 2008;San Francisco CA 2009, Barcelona Spain 2010, Quebec City, Canada 2011, and Beijing China, 2012...
- IEEE International Symposium on Biomedical Imaging 2012William Clem Karl; Fiscal Year: 2012..ISBI 2012, to be held May 2-5 2012 in Barcelona, Spain, will be the ninth in a series of meetings cosponsored by two IEEE societies: the Signal Processing Society (SPS) ..
- Nicola Longo; Fiscal Year: 2014..meeting will be held in conjunction with the International Congress on Inborn Errors of Metabolism in Barcelona, Spain, while the 2014 meeting will be held in a location to be determined...
- Luz Claudio; Fiscal Year: 2016..Students are matched with mentors in Mexico, Brazil, Chile, Spain or South Africa...
- 12th International Congress of Toxicology (ICTXII)Elaine M Faustman; Fiscal Year: 2010..The 12th International Congress of Toxicology (ICTXII) will be held July 19 - 23, 2010 in Barcelona, Spain. Toxicologists from around the world will share their recent findings and attendees will learn about the latest ..
- Bloc Travel Grant for Dental Students and NIDCR-Supported TraineesCHRISTOPHER HUGHES FOX; Fiscal Year: 2013..for Dental Research (IADR), for the next five years in the following locales: Miami, Florida (2009), Barcelona, Spain (2010), San Diego, California (2011), Rio de Janeiro, Brazil (2012);and Seattle, Washington (2013)...
- ISBA 2010 World MeetingPeter Mueller; Fiscal Year: 2010..bayesian.org/events/isba2010/) will be held in Benidorm, Spain, June 3-8, 2010...
- South-West European HIV Vaccine Clinical Trial UnitGiuseppe Pantaleo; Fiscal Year: 2013..Ospedale San Raffaele, Vita- Salute University, Milan, Italy, and the Hospital Clinic, University of Barcelona, Spain. The future CTU plans to affiliate to the HIV Vaccine Trial Network (HVTN)...
- GENOME SEQUENCING OF ASPERGILLUS FUMIGATUSDavid Denning; Fiscal Year: 2001..The international contributors are the US (Manchester/TIGR), the UK (Sanger), France (Genoscope), Spain and Japan. The genome is estimated to be 30Mb in size containing about 8000 genes...
- PAPILLOMAVIRUS CONFERENCES, 2000-2004Lucia Pirisi Creek; Fiscal Year: 2000..At the next Papillomavirus Conference, which will be held in Barcelona, Spain, July 23-28th, 2000, funds will be utilized to cover organizational expenses, and for travel awards for young ..
- COMPARATIVE LIFE COURSE RESEARCH ON ECONOMIC WELL-BEINGLEE RAINWATER; Fiscal Year: 1991..the period from the late 1960s to the mid- 1980s in Sweden, Norway, Germany, France, the United Kingdom, Canada, Spain and the United States with the possible inclusion of Finland and Australia...
- Self-and Foreign-Lipids Presented by CD1 in SclerodermaMichael Vincent; Fiscal Year: 2003..Specifically, the illness in the epidemic "toxic oil syndrome" that occurred in Spain in 1981 was highly correlated with a contaminant closely matching the classic CD1 antigen general structure...
- Planning International Orofacial Cleft Genetic StudiesMary Marazita; Fiscal Year: 2007..Three populations are targeted: Guatemala, Spain, and Hungary, with preliminary contacts made for each population...
- STRUCTURES OF ANTIBIOTICS AND RELATED COMPOUNDSRobert Coates; Fiscal Year: 2003..Biosynthesis of Aplidine and DB will be studied in Spain and the Caribbean, respectively, but is complicated by its symbiotic relationship with the cyanobacterium ..
- David R Beier; Fiscal Year: 2016..Future meetings are planned for Crete, Greece (2010), Washington, DC (2011), Hobart, Australia (2012), Hinxton, UK or Salamanca, Spain (2013), and Bar Harbor, ME or Nashville, TN (2014).
- ALCOHOL AND INJURY IN EMERGENCY ROOMS IN POLANDCheryl Cherpitel; Fiscal Year: 2003..S., Canada, Mexico, Australia, Italy, Spain), and which will be the first such analytic under taking to examine the effect of organizational and sociocultural ..
- Weinstein Cardiovascular Development ConferencePARKER BRUCE ANTIN; Fiscal Year: 2013..This meeting will be held in Tucson, Arizona in 2013, in Madrid, Spain in 2014, and in Boston, Massachusetts in 2015...
- RESEARCH BIOETHICS TRAINING IN LATIN AMERICAFernando Lolas; Fiscal Year: 2001..of Chile, associated with the Pan American Health Organization (PAHO) and the Complutense University of Madrid, Spain, has developed and taught for the last four years a masters-level course in general and clinical bioethics which ..
- IEEE Medical Imaging Conference Trainee SupportCraig S Levin; Fiscal Year: 2013..At the most recent meeting in 2011 in Valencia, Spain, 684 papers were presented within the Medical Image Conference and total attendance was 2260 with at least half of ..
- HPV DIAGNOSIS BY PCR IN CERVICAL CANCER STUDIESKeerti Shah; Fiscal Year: 1990..International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC)-sponsored case-control study of cervical cancer in Colombia and Spain. The IARC study is a comprehensive examination of all known and suspected risk factors of cervical cancer in two ..
- SIXTH INT CONFERENCE ON SYSTEMIC LUPUS ERYTHEMATOSUSMichael Lockshin; Fiscal Year: 2001..Sixth International Conference on Systemic Lupus Erythematosus (SLE), to be held March 26-28, 2001, in Barcelona, Spain. This conference will bring together investigators and practitioners from around the world to summarize and ..
- A proteomics approach to Candida albicans biofilmWELDA CHAFFIN; Fiscal Year: 2005This research will be done primarily in Spain at Universidad de Complutense Madrid in collaboration with Dr. Cesar Nombela as an extension of NIH grant R01 DE14029...
- The Craft of Medicine in Colonial Mexico: The Art and Science of the ApothecaryPaula de Vos; Fiscal Year: 2009..it treats a little-known area of history of medicine, but also because it challenges traditional assumptions of Spain's 'backwardness" and lack of scientific innovation...
- School-based Emergency PreparednessMarizen Ramirez; Fiscal Year: 2006..events of September 11, 2001 World Trade Center bombing and the March 11, 2004 train bombing tragedy in Madrid, Spain, the need for coordinated emergency preparedness and response planning has been emphasized in all sectors of the ..
- 2nd Symposium on Polyomaviruses and Human DiseaseWalter Atwood; Fiscal Year: 2007..will be held in Philadelphia in June of 2005, and the fourth International meeting will be held in Barcelona, Spain in June of 2006...
- H.PYLORI POPULATION GENETICS AND GENOME EVOLUTIONDouglas Berg; Fiscal Year: 2007..Our preliminary DNA-based phylogenetic analyses showed that genotypes of Hp in Spain differ from those in East Asia, and that genotypes of Hp from Peruvians in Lima are mostly Spanish-like...
- A Pilot Study of Colorectal Cancer in Galicia, SpainRobert Haile; Fiscal Year: 2005..is to conduct a large, family-based, genetic-epidemiologic study of colorectal cancer in the region of Galicia, Spain. In the Background section, we describe why we propose a family-based design and why we believe Galicia is an ..
- Adaptive Optics Fundus ImagerPeter Soliz; Fiscal Year: 2003..Others in the US and Spain have developed adaptive optics system for laboratory use and have achieved about 4 micrometer resolution images of ..
- NERVE GROWTH CONEPaul Letourneau; Fiscal Year: 1990An International Conference on Nerve Growth Cones is being planned for the Cajal Institute, Madrid, SPAIN from October, 1990...
- IMMUNOLOGIC RESPONSE OF INTRAVENOUS DRUG USERS TO HTLVSteven Foung; Fiscal Year: 2002..the infection rate is likely to increase in IDU as documented rather dramatically in a number of studies from Spain and Sweden...
- The 8th Valencie/ISBA World Meeting on Bayesian StatisticsALAN GELFAND; Fiscal Year: 2006..Valencia/ISBA 2006 will be held in Benidorm, Spain, from June 1 to June 6, 2006...
- Society for the Stimulus Properties of Drugs SatelliteEllen Walker; Fiscal Year: 2005..NIDA) to support our satellite symposium to the European Behavioral Pharmacology Society Conference in Barcelona, Spain on September 9, 2005...
- ICRS SYMPOSIUM ON THE CANNABINOIDSALLYN HOWLETT; Fiscal Year: 2002..Subsequent years are being planned with the following venue: June, 2001 in Madrid, Spain; July, 2002 in San Francisco, CA; June, 2003 in east coast US; June, 2004 in Sorrento, Italy...
- MIRT IN MOLECULAR BIOLOGY AND INFECTIOUS DISEASESGeorge Hillyer; Fiscal Year: 2004..These include laboratories in Salamanca, Valencia, Valladolid, & Gran Canaria in Spain, Edinburgh & Cambridge in the UK, Heidelberg, Germany, and Monash, in Clayton, Victoria, Australia...