Summary: A subclass of protozoans commonly parasitic in the epithelial cells of the intestinal tract but also found in the liver and other organs. Its organisms are found in both vertebrates and higher invertebrates and comprise two orders: EIMERIIDA and EUCOCCIDIIDA.
Publications234 found, 100 shown here
- Analysis of the 18S rRNA gene sequence of a Hepatozoon detected in two Japanese dogsHisashi Inokuma
Laboratory of Veterinary Internal Medicine, Faculty of Agriculture, Yamaguchi University, 1677 1 Yoshida, Yamaguchi 753 8515, Japan
Vet Parasitol 106:265-71. 2002..americanum and H. catasbianae. These results suggest that the Hepatozoon detected in the Japanese dogs might be a strain variant of H. canis, but is apparently a different species than H. americanum...
- The coccidian oocyst: a tough nut to crack!Sabina I Belli
Institute for the Biotechnology of Infectious Diseases, University of Technology, Sydney, Australia
Trends Parasitol 22:416-23. 2006..Here, we revisit the early work and combine it with newer molecular data to describe our present understanding of the coccidian oocyst wall...
- Redescription of Neospora caninum and its differentiation from related coccidiaJ P Dubey
Parasite Biology Laboratory, Beltsville Agricultural Research Center, Animal and Natural Resources Institute, United States Department of Agriculture, Building 1001, BARC East, Beltsville, MD 20705 2350, USA
Int J Parasitol 32:929-46. 2002..In this article, the authors redescribe the parasite, distinguish it from related coccidia, and provide accession numbers to its type specimens deposited in museums.
- The current status of the small subunit rRNA phylogeny of the coccidia (Sporozoa)David A Morrison
Department of Parasitology SWEPAR, National Veterinary Institute and Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, 751 89 Uppsala, Sweden
Int J Parasitol 34:501-14. 2004There is no current comprehensive assessment of the molecular phylogeny of the coccidia, as all recently published papers either deal with subsets of the taxa or sequence data, or provide non-robust analyses...
- Molecular detection of a Hepatozoon species in stray cats from a feline colony in North-eastern SpainA Ortuño
Departamento de Sanidad y Anatomia Animales, Facultad de Veterinaria, Universidad Autonoma de Barcelona, 08193 Bellaterra, Barcelona, Spain
Vet J 177:134-5. 2008..Cat isolates were 100% identical to the isolate Hepatozoon spp. (Spain 2) from Southern Spain. This is the first time that Hepatozoon spp. has been identified in cats from Northern Spain...
- Diagnosis of Hepatozoon canis in young dogs by cytology and PCRDomenico Otranto
Dipartimento di Sanità Pubblica e Zootecnia, Universita degli Studi di Bari, Valenzano, BA, Italy
Parasit Vectors 4:55. 2011..Our study aimed to evaluate the best method to achieve a parasitological diagnosis of H. canis infection in a population of receptive young dogs, previously negative by cytology and exposed to tick infestation for one summer season...
- Genetic mapping and coccidial parasites: past achievements and future prospectsEmily L Clark
Royal Veterinary College, Department of Pathology and Infectious Diseases, University of London, North Mymms AL9 7TA, UK
J Biosci 37:879-86. 2012..To date, four coccidial species, representing three genera, have been investigated using genetic mapping. In this review we will discuss recent progress with these species and examine the prospects for future initiatives...
- A model for taxonomic work on homoxenous coccidia: redescription, host specificity, and molecular phylogeny of Eimeria ranae Dobell, 1909, with a review of anuran-host Eimeria (Apicomplexa: Eimeriorina)Miloslav Jirků
Department of Parasitology, University of Veterinary Pharmaceutical Sciences, Brno, Czech Republic
J Eukaryot Microbiol 56:39-51. 2009We attempt to extend knowledge of anuran Eimeria, and to provide a model for a complex approach to studies on coccidia. New host and geographic records of coccidia in European Anura are provided...
- Phylogenetic analysis of coccidia based on 18S rDNA sequence comparison indicates that Isospora is most closely related to Toxoplasma and NeosporaR A Carreno
Department of Pathobiology, Ontario Veterinary College, University of Guelph, Canada
J Eukaryot Microbiol 45:184-8. 1998The phylogenetic relationships and taxonomic affinities of coccidia with isosporan-type oocysts have been unclear as overlapping characters, recently discovered life cycle features, and even recently discovered taxa, continue to be ..
- Characterization of stages of Hepatozoon americanum and of parasitized canine host cellsC A Cummings
Department of Pathobiology, Center for Veterinary Health Sciences, Oklahoma State University, Stillwater, OK 74078, USA
Vet Pathol 42:788-96. 2005....
- Alternate pathway of infection with Hepatozoon americanum and the epidemiologic importance of predationE M Johnson
Department of Pathobiology, College of Veterinary Health Sciences, Oklahoma State University, Stillwater, OK 74078, USA
J Vet Intern Med 23:1315-8. 2009..Transmission of Hepatozoon americanum occurs by ingestion of infected Gulf Coast ticks, Amblyomma maculatum. The source of the protozoan for the tick remains undetermined; infected dogs are unusual hosts for the tick...
- Molecular characterization of feline Hepatozoon species from BrazilAdriano Stefani Rubini
Universidade Estadual Paulista UNESP, Instituto de Biociencias, Departamento de Parasitologia, 18618 000 Botucatu, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Vet Parasitol 137:168-71. 2006..Partial sequences of the 18S rRNA gene from the Hepatozoon from three naturally infected cats were analyzed. Sequences revealed that feline Hepatozoon was closely related to the canine Hepatozoon canis from Brazil...
- Diagnosis of Hepatozoon spp. in Amblyomma ovale and its experimental transmission in domestic dogs in BrazilM Forlano
Departamento de Parasitologia Animal, Faculdade de Medicina Veterinaria, Universidade Federal Rural do Rio de Janeiro, Seropedica, RJ, Brazil
Vet Parasitol 134:1-7. 2005..negative dog, and circulating gametocytes were detected 84 days later. Our study demonstrated that A. ovale can be a vector of Hepatozoon spp. in Brazil...
- The methylerythritol phosphate pathway for isoprenoid biosynthesis in coccidia: presence and sensitivity to fosmidomycinMarc Clastre
EA2106 Biomolécules et Biotechnologies Végétales, UFR Sciences Pharmaceutiques, Universite de Tours, 37200 Tours, France
Exp Parasitol 116:375-84. 2007..tenella and T. gondii growth in vitro. The drug was poorly effective even at high concentrations. Thus, both fosmidomycin sensitivity and isoprenoid metabolism differs substantially between apicomplexan species...
- A molecular survey of Piroplasmida and Hepatozoon isolated from domestic and wild animals in Burgos (northern Spain)Consuelo Gimenez
Departamento de Microbiologia y Parasitologia, Facultad de Farmacia, Universidad de Alcala, Crta Madrid Barcelona, Km 33, 600, 28871 Alcala de Henares, Spain
Vet Parasitol 162:147-50. 2009..The present study indicates that piroplasmid protozoa are present at a low to moderate frequency in some domestic herbivores in the Burgos area. They also infect certain wild mammalian species, which may act as zoonotic carriers...
- Prevalence and risk factors for Giardia and coccidia species of pet cats in 2003-2004Andrea C De Santis-Kerr
Department of Veterinary Pathobiology, School of Veterinary Medicine, Purdue University, 725 Harrison Street, West Lafayette, IN 47907 2027, USA
J Feline Med Surg 8:292-301. 2006Prevalence and risk factors for feline coccidia and Giardia species infections were estimated for cats visiting 434 Banfield hospitals in 40 states in 2003-2004...
- Quantitative trait loci (QTL) mapping of resistance to strongyles and coccidia in the free-living Soay sheep (Ovis aries)Dario Beraldi
Institute of Evolutionary Biology, School of Biological Sciences, University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh EH9 3JT, UK
Int J Parasitol 37:121-9. 2007..The traits here investigated were the strongyle faecal egg count (FEC), the coccidia faecal oocyst count (FOC) and a count of keds (Melophagus ovinus)...
- Coccidia-induced mucogenesis promotes the onset of necrotic enteritis by supporting Clostridium perfringens growthC T Collier
Department of Animal Sciences, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, IL 61801, USA
Vet Immunol Immunopathol 122:104-15. 2008..The ionophore narasin, which directly eliminates coccidia, reduced goblet cell theca size, IL-10 and IFN-gamma expression, the growth of mucolytic bacteria including C...
- Light and transmission electron microscopic studies of a haemogregarine in naturally infected fan-footed gecko (Ptyodactylus hasselquistii)Abdel Nasser A Hussein
Zoology Department, Faculty of Science Qena, South Valley University, Qena, 85323, Egypt
Parasitol Res 98:468-71. 2006..5), or micromerozoites. On the ultrastructural level, merozoites have a pellicle, which consists of an outer and inner membrane. The merozoites are nearly identical to the blood stages of the parasite...
- Experimental transmission of Hepatozoon gracilis (Wenyon, 1909) com. nov., in its natural host the bean skink lizard (Mabuya quinquetaeniata quinquetaeniata) and vector Culex (C.) pipiens (Diptera: Culicidae)Fatma K Adham
Department of Entomology, Faculty of Science, Cairo University, Giza, Egypt
J Egypt Soc Parasitol 37:1199-212. 2007..Developmental stages of H. gracilis in both vector or vertebrate host were described. Cx. pipiens was unable to transmit H. gracilis to snake, Psammophis schokari present in the same area of the bean skink lizard...
- Redescription of Hammondia hammondi and its differentiation from Toxoplasma gondiiJ P Dubey
United States Department of Agriculture, Beltsville Agricultural Research Center, Animal and Natural Resources Institute, Animal Parasitic Diseases Laboratory, Building 1001, BARC East, Beltsville, MD 20705 2350, USA
Int J Parasitol 33:1437-53. 2003..gondii. Hammondia hammondi was found to be structurally, biologically, and molecularly different from T. gondii...
- Food- and waterborne pathogens: you are (infected by) what you eat!Paul M Robben
Department of Molecular Microbiology, Center for Infectious Diseases, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Microbes Infect 6:406-13. 2004b>Coccidia are protozoan parasites responsible for disease worldwide. The orally transmissible stages of coccidia make them food- and waterborne threats...
- Patterns of coccidial prevalence in lizards of MauritiusIan Leinwand
Consortium for Conservation Medicine, New York, New York 10001, USA
J Parasitol 91:1103-8. 2005..differences in prevalence among age, island, sex, or body condition within species, suggesting that these coccidia are relatively nonpathogenic and have little effect on host fitness...
- Hepatozoon spp.: report of some cases in dogs in Brasília, BrazilGiane Regina Paludo
Faculdade de Agronomia e Medicina Veterinaria, Universidade de Brasilia, Brazil
Vet Parasitol 118:243-8. 2003..americanum of North America, or could be caused by a new species. Our data revealed that hepatozoonosis could be considered endemic in Brasília...
- Coccidiosis among immuno-competent and -compromised adultsH Rezk
Department of Tropical Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Mansoura University, Egypt
J Egypt Soc Parasitol 31:823-34. 2001There was significant increase in coccidia positive cases among Hodgkin lymphoma receiving chemotherapy as compared to control group (p < 0.05)...
- Anti-Hepatozoon canis serum antibodies and gamonts in naturally-occurring canine monocytic ehrlichiosisMathios E Mylonakis
Clinic of Companion Animal Medicine, School of Veterinary Medicine, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, P O Box 16039, GR 54627, Thessaloniki 54401, Greece
Vet Parasitol 129:229-33. 2005..canis was high among dogs with CME in an area where both infections are endemic. However, previous exposure to H. canis was not found as an important contributor to clinical or clinicopathologic abnormalities found in dogs with CME...
- Tissue stages of Hepatozoon canis in naturally infected dogs from Sao Paulo State, BrazilLucia Helena O'Dwyer
Departamento de Parasitologia, Instituto de Biociencias, Universidade Estadual Paulista UNESP, 18618 000, Botucatu, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Parasitol Res 94:240-2. 2004..No macroscopic lesions were found in the organs. Two dogs had gamonts within polymorphonuclear cells and schizonts in various stages of development within the spleen and the bone marrow. Nevertheless, no mature meronts were found...
- Intestinal coccidiosis in a spinner dolphin (Stenella longirostris)J P Dubey
United States Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service, Animal and Natural Resources Institute, Beltsville Agricultural Research Center, Maryland 20705 2350, USA
J Parasitol 88:634-7. 2002..Numerous intralesional coccidia were present in mucosal epithelial cells. Schizonts, gamonts, and unsporulated oocysts were seen...
- A PCR-based epidemiological survey of Hepatozoon canis in dogs in NigeriaMizuki Sasaki
Department of Veterinary Parasitology, School of Veterinary Medicine, Kitasato University, Towada, Aomori, Japan
J Vet Med Sci 70:743-5. 2008..3%) produced 757 bp bands, which differed from the 698 bp band that corresponded to B. canis infection. The sequence of the PCR products of 10 samples were determined, all of which corresponded with the H. canis sequence...
- In vitro compatibility of an anticoccidial vaccine with live infectious bronchitis and live Newcastle disease vaccinesS J Andrews
Schering Plough Animal Health, Breakspear Road South, Harefield, Uxbridge, Middlesex
Vet Rec 152:717-8. 2003
- Hepatozoon spp.: pathological and partial 18S rRNA sequence analysis from three Brazilian dogsGiane R Paludo
Faculdade de Agrononomia e Medicina Veterinária, Universidade de Brasilia, CP04508, 70910 900, Brasilia, DF, Brazil
Parasitol Res 97:167-70. 2005..Fukuoka described in Japan (>99% identity). These results indicate that both additional clinical cases and genes need examination in order to determine the phylogenetic relatedness among canid Hepatozoon species...
- Molecular studies on Babesia, Theileria and Hepatozoon in southern Europe. Part I. Epizootiological aspectsA Criado-Fornelio
Laboratory of Parasitology, Microbiology and Parasitology Department, Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Alcala de Henares, 28871, Alcala de Henares, Spain
Vet Parasitol 113:189-201. 2003..bovis isolates from several countries. The same is true for B. ovis, that showed a 94% identity with regard to Babesia sp. from South African cow and a 92% with rapport to B. bovis from Portugal...
- Two enigmatic cases of meningitisCharlotte J Hsieh
Division of Infectious Diseases, Children s Hospital and Research Center at Oakland, Oakland, CA, USA
Pediatr Infect Dis J 23:1067-8, 1074-5. 2004
- Haemogregarina bigemina (Protozoa: Apicomplexa: Adeleorina)--past, present and futureAngela J Davies
School of Life Sciences, Kingston University, Penrhyn Road, Kingston upon Thames, Surrey, KT1 2EE, UK
Folia Parasitol (Praha) 51:99-108. 2004..To assist in this procedure and to clarify the internal anatomy of gnathiids, 3D visualisation of stacked, serial histological sections is being undertaken. Biological transmission experiments should follow these processes...
- American canine hepatozoonosisNancy A Vincent-Johnson
United States Army Veterinary Corps, 10015 Theote Road, Building 610, Fort Belvoir, VA 22060 5400, USA
Vet Clin North Am Small Anim Pract 33:905-20. 2003..Although the prognosis for this disease in the past was guarded to poor, recent advances in treatment have increased the long-term survival rate of infected dogs...
- Dog shedding oocysts of Neospora caninum: PCR diagnosis and molecular phylogenetic approachJan R Slapeta
Department of Parasitology, University of Veterinary and Pharmaceutical Sciences, Brno, Czech Republic
Vet Parasitol 109:157-67. 2002..Toxoplasma gondii + Hammondia hammondi, (ii). N. caninum + Neospora hughesi, and (iii). H. heydorni. Based on phylogenetic relationships we propose three acceptable suggestions to solve the problem of taxonomy of these genera...
- Hematology, morphology, cytochemical staining, and ultrastuctural characteristics of blood cells in king cobras (Ophiophagus hannah)Chaleow Salakij
Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Kasetsart University, Kamphaengsaen Nakorn Pathom, Thailand
Vet Clin Pathol 31:116-26. 2002..Hematologic tests would be useful for evaluating the health of the snakes, however, basic hematologic data and morphology have not been described for this species...
- Diversity of Hepatozoon species in naturally infected dogs in the southern United StatesKelly E Allen
Department of Veterinary Pathobiology, Center for Veterinary Health Sciences, Oklahoma State University, Stillwater, OK 74078, USA
Vet Parasitol 154:220-5. 2008..canis. Mixed H. americanum and H. canis-like infections also were detected. Our data suggest that H. americanum, H. canis, as well as H. canis-like organisms are present and may cause disease in dogs in the southern U.S...
- Prevalence of coccidia in beef cattle in western TurkeyHatice Cicek
Department of Parasitology, Kocatepe University, 03200, Afyon, Turkey
Parasitol Res 101:1239-43. 2007..Linear regression analysis showed that there is a significant reduction in the OPG (the number of oocysts per gram of feces) levels (P<0.05) in cows infected with Eimeria. No cases of clinical coccidiosis were observed in this survey...
- A new species of Hepatozoon (Apicomplexa: Adeleorina) from Python regius (Serpentes: Pythonidae) and its experimental transmission by a mosquito vectorMichal Sloboda
Department of Parasitology, University of Veterinary and Pharmaceutical Sciences, Brno, Czech Republic
J Parasitol 93:1189-98. 2007..Isolates were compared with Hepatozoon species from sub-Saharan reptiles and described as a new species based on the morphology, phylogenetic analysis, and a complete life cycle...
- Klossiella quimrensis (Apicomplexa: Klossiellidae) causes renal coccidiosis in western barred bandicoots Perameles bougainville (Marsupialia: Peramelidae) in Western AustraliaM D Bennett
School of Veterinary and Biomedical Science, Murdoch University, South Street, Murdoch, Western Australia, Australia 6150
J Parasitol 93:89-92. 2007..Our study also extends the host and geographic range of K. quimrensis to include P. bougainville and Western Australia...
- Observations on besnoitiosis in Virginia opossum (Didelphis virginiana) from Michigan, USAHany M El Sheikha
Division of Veterinary Medicine, The School of Veterinary Medicine and Science, The University of Nottingham, Sutton Bonington, Leicestershire, LE12 5RD, UK
J Egypt Soc Parasitol 37:1-16. 2007..besnoiti), equids (B. bennetti) and reindeer (B. tarandi). The genetic attributed particular to the genus Besnoitia complemented the morphologica features and lead to accurate delimitation of Besnoitia species...
- Prevalence of Ehrlichia canis, Anaplasma platys, Babesia canis vogeli, Hepatozoon canis, Bartonella vinsonii berkhoffii, and Rickettsia spp. in dogs from GrenadaMichael J Yabsley
D B Warnell School of Forestry and Natural Resources, Southeastern Cooperative Wildlife Disease Study, Department of Population Health, College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Georgia, Athens, GA 30602, United States
Vet Parasitol 151:279-85. 2008..One pathogen, E. canis, is also of potential public health significance...
- Extraintestinal gamogony of Aggregata octopiana in the reared common octopus (Octopus vulgaris) (Cephalopoda: Octopodidae)Ivona Mladineo
Hopkins Marine Station, Oceanview Boulevard, Pacific Grove, CA, USA
J Invertebr Pathol 96:261-4. 2007..Sometimes a complete substitution of the tissue by cysts and developmental stages occurred, resulting in necrosis of gill tissue...
- Hepatozoon canis infection in Slovakia: imported or autochthonous?Viktoria Majlathova
Parasitological Institute SAS, Kosice, Slovakia
Vector Borne Zoonotic Dis 7:199-202. 2007..sanguineus that might have been brought to Slovakia by travelers, by golden jackals, or by foxes migrating because of expansion of golden jackals and environmental and climate changes...
- Effects of supplemental feeding on gastrointestinal parasite infection in elk (Cervus elaphus): preliminary observationsAlicia M Hines
Division of Biological Sciences, University of Montana, Missoula, MT 59812, USA
Vet Parasitol 148:350-5. 2007..Gastrointestinal (GI) nematodes (Nematoda: Strongylida), Trichuris spp., and coccidia were the most common parasites observed...
- First molecular characterization of canine hepatozoonosis in Argentina: evaluation of asymptomatic Hepatozoon canis infection in dogs from Buenos AiresDiego Fernando Eiras
Laboratorio DIAP, Inca 109 B1836BBC Llavallol, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Vet Parasitol 149:275-9. 2007..This is the first molecular characterization of Hepatozoon from Argentina...
- Epidemiological studies of parasitic gastrointestinal nematodes, cestodes and coccidia infections in cattle in the highveld and lowveld communal grazing areas of ZimbabweD M Pfukenyi
Clinical Veterinary Studies, Faculty of Veterinary Science, University of Zimbabwe, P O Box MP167, Mt Pleasant, Harare, Zimbabwe
Onderstepoort J Vet Res 74:129-42. 2007..communal grazing areas of Zimbabwe were examined for gastrointestinal (GI) nematode and cestodes eggs, and coccidia oocysts...
- Goats as natural intermediate hosts of Hammondia hammondiK Shimura
National Institute of Animal Health, Ibaraki, Japan
Zentralbl Bakteriol Mikrobiol Hyg A 264:348-52. 1987..From these experiments it became clear that the G-8 strain was infectious to goats. The origin of this strain is very probably the goat, which thus is one of the natural intermediate hosts of H. hammondi...
- New exogenous stages of oocysts, sporocysts, and sporozoites of Goussia cichlidarum Landsberg and Paperna 1985 (Sporozoa: Coccidia) and impact of endogenous stages on the swim bladder of tilapias in EgyptAmina El-Mansy
National Institute of Oceanography and Fisheries NOIF, 101 Kaser El Einii St, Cairo, Egypt
Parasitol Res 102:233-41. 2008..In addition, endogenous stages have also been investigated in histological sections included gamonts, merozoites, oocysts, and different stages of sporozoites...
- Field survey of rodents for Hepatozoon infections in an endemic focus of American canine hepatozoonosisEileen M Johnson
Oklahoma State University, Center for Veterinary Health Sciences, Department of Veterinary Pathobiology, Room 250, McElroy Hall, Stillwater, OK 74078 2007, United States
Vet Parasitol 150:27-32. 2007..However, the sequences were only 90.6% (cotton rat) and 91.4% (white-footed mouse) identical to H. americanum. These findings suggest that the rodents are obligate intermediate hosts for distinct Hepatozoon spp., but not H. americanum...
- A cautionary taleHesham M Elgouhari
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Am J Med 120:225-8. 2007
- Molecular and parasitological survey of Hepatozoon canis (Apicomplexa: Hepatozoidae) in dogs from rural area of Sao Paulo state, BrazilAdriano Stefani Rubini
Instituto de Biociencias, Departamento de Parasitologia, Universidade Estadual Paulista UNESP, 18618 000 Sao Paulo, Brazil
Parasitol Res 102:895-9. 2008..cajennense and A. ovale. Data analysis showed that PCR was much more sensitive when compared to blood smear examination. Hepatozoon species was previously identified as closely related to H. canis...
- An indirect enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay for diagnosis of American canine hepatozoonosisJ S Mathew
College of Veterinary Medicine, Oklahoma State University, Stillwater 74078, USA
J Vet Diagn Invest 13:17-21. 2001..The ELISA would be suitable as a routine laboratory test for diagnosis of ACH...
- The flea, Megabothris abantis: an invertebrate host of Hepatozoon sp. and a likely definitive host in hepatozoon infections of the montane vole, Microtus montanusRaychel A Watkins
Department of Biology, University of Nebraska at Omaha, Omaha, Nebraska 68182 0040, USA
J Wildl Dis 42:386-90. 2006..We found Hepatozoon oocysts only in M. abantis; we found no oocysts in mites or ticks. We conclude that M. abantis is an invertebrate host of Hepatozoon sp. and is likely to be the definitive host for theHepatozoon spp. of M. montanus...
- Antemortem diagnosis and characterization of nasal intranuclear coccidiosis in Sulawesi tortoises (Indotestudo forsteni)Charles J Innis
VCA Westboro Animal Hospital, Westboro, MA, USA
J Vet Diagn Invest 19:660-7. 2007Intranuclear coccidia and Mycoplasma spp. were identified from the nasal cavity of 5 Sulawesi tortoises (Indotestudo forsteni) affected by chronic rhinosinusitis and oronasal fistulae...
- Chronic diarrhoea in HIV patients: prevalence of coccidian parasitesS Gupta
Department of Laboratory Medicine, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi 110 029, India
Indian J Med Microbiol 26:172-5. 2008..3 cells/microL. This study concluded that Isospora belli was the predominant parasite followed by Cryptosporidium spp. and both were strongly associated with diarrhoea among HIV patients...
- Evaluation of herbal coccidiostat 'Coxynil' in broilerN V Kurkure
Department of Pathology, Nagpur Veterinary College, Maharashtra Animal and Fishery Sciences University, India
Indian J Exp Biol 44:740-4. 2006..Examination of ceaca of the birds, revealed that the Coxynil interfered with life cycle of coccidia. The typical second generation schizonts were absent in ceacal section of Coxynil treated groups...
- Infectivity of Hepatozoon americanum cystozoites for a dogEileen M Johnson
Oklahoma State University OSU, College of Veterinary Health Sciences CVHS, Department of Veterinary Pathobiology, Room 250 McElroy Hall, Stillwater, OK 74078, United States
Vet Parasitol 154:148-50. 2008..americanum. Xenodiagnosis was conducted by replete feeding of Ambylomma maculatum larvae on the dog; 40 days after detachment, sporulated oocysts were recovered from recently molted nymphs...
- [Influence of animal breeding manner on the occurence of internal parasites]Konstanty Romaniuk
Katedra Chorób Zakaźnych i Inwazyjnych, Zespół Parazytologii i Chorób Inwazyjnych, Uniwersytet Warmińsko Mazurski, Olsztyn
Wiad Parazytol 50:647-51. 2004..Nematodes and coccidia were present in calves using small, frequently wet, calf-runs and at heifers grazed on pasture since early spring...
- Hematologic, cytochemical, ultrastructural, and molecular findings of Hepatozoon-infected flat-headed cats (Prionailurus planiceps)Chaleow Salakij
Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Kasetsart University, Kamphaengsaen, Nakorn Pathom, Thailand
Vet Clin Pathol 37:31-41. 2008..Little is known about the hematologic values, blood cell morphology, or hemoparasites of this species in relation to other Felidae...
- The efficacy of anticoccidial products against Eimeria spp. in northern bobwhitesR W Gerhold
Department of Poultry Science, College of Veterinary Medicine, The University of Georgia, Athens, GA 30602, USA
Avian Dis 55:59-64. 2011..Amprolium, roxarsone, and zoalene (125 ppm) were ineffective at controlling coccidia. Two of the six isolates tested against diclazuril 1 ppm and clopidol demonstrated a high degree of resistance, ..
- Descriptions of six new species of Caryospora (Apicomplexa: Eimeriidae) from Guatemalan snakes (Serpentes: Colubridae and Viperidae)Robert S Seville
Department of Zoology and Physiology, University of Wyoming, Casper College Center, Wyoming 82601, USA
J Parasitol 91:1452-8. 2005One hundred and seventy snakes were collected in Guatemala and examined for coccidia. Of these, 8 individuals representing 6 host species were positive for Caryospora spp., 6 of which are described as new species...
- Species of coccidia (Apicomplexa: Eimeriidae) in shrews from Alaska, U.S.A., and northeastern Siberia, Russia, with description of two new speciesA J Lynch
Department of Biology, The University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, New Mexico 87131, USA
J Parasitol 94:883-8. 2008..of shrews collected in Alaska (n = 540) and northeastern Siberia (n = 96) were examined for the presence of coccidia (Apicomplexa: Eimeriidae). Five distinct oocyst morphotypes were observed...
- A New Species of Eimeria (Apicomplexa: Eimeriidae) from the marbled salamander, Ambystoma opacum (Caudata: Ambystomatidae), from northern LouisianaChris T McAllister
Department of Physical and Life Sciences, Chadron State College, Chadron, Nebraska 69337, USA
J Parasitol 94:727-30. 2008..various counties in Arkansas, Oklahoma, and Texas were surveyed during the study period and were negative for coccidia: Ambystomatidae, 4 spotted salamanders (Ambystoma maculatum) and 7 mole salamanders (Ambystoma talpoideum); ..
- Molecular prevalence and preponderance of Eimeria spp. among chickens in Tamil Nadu, IndiaS Aarthi
Department of Animal Biotechnology, Madras Veterinary College, Tamil Nadu Veterinary and Animal Sciences University, Chennai, India, 600007
Parasitol Res 107:1013-7. 2010..Chicken coccidia are protozoan parasites of the genus Eimeria...
- Walter T. Johnson (1892 to 1937): pioneer of coccidiosis research in the fowlH D Chapman
Department of Poultry Science, University of Arkansas, Fayetteville, AR 72701, USA
Avian Pathol 33:107-16. 2004..Contrary to widespread opinion, he considered that coccidia were not involved in blackhead disease and other pathological conditions reported from the fowl...
- A survey for selected viral, chlamydial, and parasitic diseases in wild dusky-headed parakeets (Aratinga weddellii) and tui parakeets (Brotogeris sanctithomae) in PeruK V Gilardi
California Regional Primate Research Center, University of California, Davis 95616, USA
J Wildl Dis 31:523-8. 1995..All fecal samples were negative for ascarids or coccidia by fecal flotation, and all blood smears were negative for hemoparasites by direct microscopic examination...
- A description of two new species of coccidia (Apicomplexa: Eimeriidae) from African reptiles with nomenclatural corrections for two Caryospora and one Eimeria species from snakesP Daszak
Institute of Ecology, University of Georgia, Athens 30602 2403, USA
Folia Parasitol (Praha) 48:1-6. 2001..sani is preoccupied. In addition to these findings, Eimeria bohemi Modrý, Slapeta et Koudela, 2000 and oocysts of an unidentified spherical Eimieria sp. are reported from Chamaeleo dilepis dilepis Leach from Cameroon...
- Two new species of coccidia (apicomplexa: Eimeriidae) from the bearded false chameleon Chamaeleolis barbatus (Sauria: polychridae) from cinco pesos, Pinar Del Río, CubaD Modry
Department of Parasitology, University of Veterinary and Pharmaceutical Sciences, Brno, Czech Republic
J Parasitol 85:719-22. 1999..bearded false chameleons Chamaeleolis barbatus freshly imported from Cuba revealed the presence of 2 species of coccidia that are described as new. Oocysts of Isospora chamaeleolidis n. sp. are spherical to slightly subspherical, 16...
- Evolutionary relationships among cyst-forming coccidia Sarcocystis spp. (Alveolata: Apicomplexa: Coccidea) in endemic African tree vipers and perspective for evolution of heteroxenous life cycleJan R Slapeta
Department of Parasitology, University of Veterinary and Pharmaceutical Sciences, Brno, Czech Republic
Mol Phylogenet Evol 27:464-75. 2003Cyst-forming coccidia of the genus Sarcocystis (Alveolata: Apicomplexa: Coccidea) parasitize vertebrates worldwide...
- Seven new species of Eimeria Schneider, 1875 (Apicomplexa: Eimeriidae) from colubrid snakes of Guatemala and a discussion of what to call ellipsoid tetrasporocystic, dizoic coccidia of reptilesI M Asmundsson
Department of Biology, The University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, NM 87131, USA
Syst Parasitol 64:91-103. 2006..that until all aspects of each life-cycle are known, it is prudent at this time to name all tetrasporocystic dizoic coccidia from snakes as members of Eimeria rather than place some of them in Choleoeimeria Paperna & Landsberg, 1989.
- Anticoccidial activity of the methanolic extract of Musa paradisiaca root in chickensGeorge Nnamdi Anosa
Department of Veterinary Medicine, University of Nigeria, Nsukka, Nigeria
Trop Anim Health Prod 43:245-8. 2011..Each chicken in five groups was infected with 8,000 infective coccidia (Eimeria tenella) oocysts at day 28 of age while one group served as uninfected control...
- Prevalence of Sarcocystis species sporocysts in Northern Virginia opossums (Didelphis virginiana)Hany M Elsheikha
Department of Large Animal Clinical Sciences, College of Veterinary Medicine, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI 48824, USA
Parasitol Res 93:427-31. 2004..Sarcocystis spp to co-exist in the opossum gut enhances dissemination and environmental contamination with these coccidia. Additionally, this increases the chance for sexual recombination between Sarcocystis spp, given the proclivity ..
- Effect of conditioned media from chicken and turkey intestinal cell cultures on invasion by sporozoites of three species of avian coccidiaP C Augustine
United States Department of Agriculture, Livestock and Poultry Sciences Institute, Beltsville, Maryland 20705, USA
J Eukaryot Microbiol 45:344-6. 1998..Conditioned medium from cultures of turkey cecal cells significantly enhanced invasion by the turkey coccidia Eimeria adenoeides, by 2.4-fold, and E. meleagrimitis, by 2...
- Diseases and parasites in wolves of the Riding Mountain National Park region, Manitoba, CanadaAstrid V Stronen
Department of Biology, University of New Brunswick, Fredericton, New Brunswick E3B 5A3, Canada
J Wildl Dis 47:222-7. 2011..0.2%) and the protozoal cysts/oocysts of Sarcocystis sp. (37.3%), Cryptosporidium sp. (1.2%), coccidia (Isospora sp. or Eimeria sp.) (1.7%), and Giardia sp. (29.5%)...
- Five new species of Coccidia (Apicomplexa: Eimeriidae) from colubrid snakes of EcuadorI M Asmundsson
Department of Biology, The University of New Mexico, Albuquerque 87131, USA
J Parasitol 87:1077-81. 2001..5 by 18.8 microm (19-26 by 17-21 microm). Feces of a juvenile Imantodes lentiferus, the bluntheaded vine snake, contained ovoid to ellipsoid isosporan oocysts, which measured 21.6 by 15.0 microm (20-23 by 14-16 microm) when sporulated...
- The effect of commonly used anticoccidials and antibiotics in a subclinical necrotic enteritis modelA Lanckriet
Department of Pathology, Bacteriology and Avian Diseases, Research Group Veterinary Public Health and Zoonoses, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Ghent University, Merelbeke, Belgium
Avian Pathol 39:63-8. 2010..effect on the incidence of necrotic enteritis in a subclinical experimental infection model that uses coccidia as a predisposing factor...
- Effects of feed additives and mixed eimeria species infection on intestinal microbial ecology of broilersM E Hume
Food and Feed Safety Research Unit, Southern Plains Agricultural Research Center, USDA, ARS, College Station, TX 77845, USA
Poult Sci 85:2106-11. 2006..9, 83.3, and 76.4%) than AI (81.8., 57.4, and 60.0%). We concluded that mixed coccidia challenge caused drastic shifts in MC...
- Commercial assay for detection of Giardia lamblia and Cryptosporidium parvum antigens in human fecal specimens by rapid solid-phase qualitative immunochromatographyLynne S Garcia
LSG and Associates, Santa Monica, California 90402, USA
J Clin Microbiol 41:209-12. 2003..in the absence of trained microscopists; however, for patients who remain symptomatic after a negative result, the ova and parasite examination and special stains for other coccidia and the microsporidia should always remain options.
- Isospora hypoleucae sp. n. (Apicomplexa: Eimeriidae), a new coccidian parasite found in the Pied Flycatcher (Ficedula hypoleuca)O V Dolnik
Institute for Polar Ecology, Wischhofstrasse 1 3 Geb 12, Kiel D 24148, Germany
Parasitology 136:841-5. 2009A new Coccidia species is reported from the natural population of Pied Flycatcher (Ficedula hypoleuca) in northern Germany. Sporulated oocysts were found in faeces from 6 of 8 sampled adults...
- Intestinal parasites among young children in the interior of GuyanaJ F Lindo
Department of Microbiology, University of the West Indies, Kingston 7, Jamaica
West Indian Med J 51:25-7. 2002..All stool samples were negative for Cryptosporidium and other intestinal Coccidia. There was no predilection for gender with any of the parasites...
- Detection and differentiation of coccidian oocysts by real-time PCR and melting curve analysisLaura F Lalonde
Centre for Food borne and Animal Parasitology, Canadian Food Inspection Agency, 116 Veterinary Road, Saskatoon, S7N 2R3, Canada
J Parasitol 97:725-30. 2011..A universal coccidia primer cocktail was designed and employed to amplify DNA from Cryptosporidium parvum, Toxoplasma gondii, ..
- Comparison of the ITS1 and ITS2 rDNA in Eimeria callospermophili (Apicomplexa:Eimeriidae) from sciurid rodentsDagmara Motriuk-Smith
Department of Zoology and Physiology, University of Wyoming Casper College Center, 125 College Drive, Casper, Wyoming 82601, USA
J Parasitol 97:305-10. 2011The taxonomy of the coccidia has historically been morphologically based...
- Eimeria spp. (Apicomplexa: Eimeriidae) from the Plateau pika, Ochotona curzoniae, from Haibei Area, Qinghai Province, China, with the description of two new speciesYi Fan Cao
Key Laboratory of Adaptation and Evolution of Plateau Biota, Northwest Institute of Plateau Biology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Xining, China
J Parasitol 95:1192-6. 2009..Ochotona curzoniae, collected in the Haibei Area, Qinghai Province, China, were examined for the presence of coccidia (Apicomplexa: Eimeriidae)...
- [Oocyst structure and problem of coccidian taxonomy]T B Beĭer
Institute of Cytology RAS, St Petersburg
Tsitologiia 43:1005-12. 2001..Similar structure of the oocysts wall was reported elsewhere for thin-walled oocysts of fish coccidia of the genera Goussia and Eimeria. In C...
- Residual activity of anticoccidial drugs in chickens after withdrawal of medicated feedsL R McDougald
Department of Poultry Science, University of Georgia, Athens 30602, USA
Vet Parasitol 74:91-9. 1998..Oral inoculation with coccidia was given after withdrawal of medication...
- Fatal gastrointestinal parasitism in goats: 31 cases (2001-2006)Beth A Valentine
Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory and Department of Biomedical Sciences, Oregon State University, Corvallis, OR 97331, USA
J Am Vet Med Assoc 231:1098-103. 2007..To evaluate signalment, history, clinical and pathologic findings, and seasonal weather patterns in association with fatal gastrointestinal parasitism in goats...
- Gastrointestinal parasites and ectoparasites of Bradypus variegatus and Choloepus hoffmanni sloths in captivity from Costa RicaKaren D Sibaja-Morales
Laboratorio de Parasitología y Enfermedades Parasitarias, Escuela de Medicina Veterinaria, Universidad Nacional de Costa Rica, APDO 86 3000, Barreal de Heredia, Heredia, Costa Rica
J Zoo Wildl Med 40:86-90. 2009..hoffmanni and one was B. variegatus. Gastrointestinal parasites were recognized as Coccidia 71.4% (10/14), Cestoda 21.4% (3/14), and Spiruroidea 7.1% (1/14). Coccidia and cestodes were seen in C...
- Observations on the life history and descriptions of coccidia (Apicomplexa) from the western chorus frog, Pseudacris triseriata triseriata, from eastern NebraskaMatthew G Bolek
School of Biological Sciences, University of Nebraska Lincoln, Lincoln, Nebraska 68588, USA
J Parasitol 89:522-8. 2003....
- Metam sodium reduces viability and infectivity of Eimeria oocystsR H Fetterer
Animal Parasitic Diseases Laboratory, Animal and Natural Resources Institute, Henry A Wallace, Beltsville Agricultural Research Center, Beltsville, Maryland 20705, USA
J Parasitol 96:632-7. 2010..of poultry litter containing infectious oocysts could be an effective strategy to block the transmission of avian coccidia. In the current study, the effect of MS on the viability and infectivity of ocysts was investigated...
- Parasites in patients with malabsorption syndrome: a clinical study in children and adultsBijayini Behera
Department of Microbiology, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, Ansari Nagar, New Delhi 110029, India
Dig Dis Sci 53:672-9. 2008Intestinal parasites not only cause diarrheal diseases but also significant malabsorption. Literature on the role of parasites, such as intestinal coccidia and microsporidia in malabsorption syndrome is limited.
- Efficacy evaluation of lasalocid plus roxarsone combination medication with different geographic field strains of Eimeria acervulinaK Pecelunas
Roche Vitamins Inc, Parsippany, NJ 07054 1298, USA
Avian Dis 44:1-7. 2000..ppm) was evaluated in battery and floorpen trials after challenge with geographically different field strains of coccidia containing predominately the upper intestinal species Eimeria acervulina...
- Evaluation of sodium bicarbonate, chloride, or sulfate with a coccidiostat in corn-soy or corn-soy-meat diets for broiler chickensD M Hooge
Hooge Consulting Service, Inc, Eagle Mountain, Utah 84043 3186, USA
Poult Sci 78:1300-6. 1999During the period from January to June, combined-sex broiler chickens were inoculated with coccidia via drinking water at 14 d of age...
- Proteomics analysis and protein expression during sporozoite excystation of Cryptosporidium parvum (Coccidia, Apicomplexa)William J Snelling
Centre for Molecular Biosciences, School of Biomedical Sciences, University of Ulster, Cromore Road, Coleraine, County Londonderry BT52 1SA, Northern Ireland
Mol Cell Proteomics 6:346-55. 2007..These eight proteins represent promising targets for developing vaccines or chemotherapies that could block parasite entry into host cells...
- Taxonomic position of the human intestinal protozoan parasite Isospora belli as based on ribosomal RNA sequencesC Franzen
Department of Internal Medicine I, University of Cologne, Germany
Parasitol Res 86:669-76. 2000..The clade containing I. belli consists of tissue-cyst-forming coccidia (Toxoplasma and Neospora) and members of the genus Isospora (I. ohioensis, I. suis, I. belli)...
- Description and phylogeny of a new species of Eimeria from double-crested cormorants (Phalacrocorax auritus) near Fort Gaines, GeorgiaMichael J Yabsley
Southeastern Cooperative Wildlife Disease Study, Department of Population Health, College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Georgia, Athens, Georgia 30602, USA
J Parasitol 92:385-8. 2006..DCC were collected from the Chattahoochee River near Fort Gaines, Georgia, and examined for kidney and intestinal coccidia. Eighteen (22.5%) and 56 (70%) of the DCC were positive for E...
- An alternative to antibiotic-based drugs in feed for enhancing performance of broilers grown on Eimeria spp.-infected litterV G Stanley
Cooperative Agricultural Research Center, Prairie View A and M University, Prairie View, Texas 77446, USA
Poult Sci 83:39-44. 2004..litter consisted of pine wood shavings containing droppings from chicks infected with 3 select strains of coccidia (Eimeria tenella, Eimeria maxima, and Eimeria acervulina)...
- Individual oocysts of Isospora (Apicomplexa: Coccidia) parasites from avian feces: from photo to sequenceOlga V Dolnik
Department of Animal Ecology, Lund University, Solvegatan 37, 22362 Lund, Sweden
J Parasitol 95:169-74. 2009..In contrast, molecular studies of wild birds' Coccidia are still in their infancy and are mostly based on DNA extracted from the blood stages of these parasites...
- Infection of white rat peritoneal macrophages with Toxoplasma gondii, (Coccidia: Sarcocystidae) after Trypanosoma lewisi (Kinetoplastida: Trypanosomatidae) infectionG Catarinella
Instituto de Acueductos y Alcantarillados, San José Costa Rica
Rev Biol Trop 47:483-8. 1999..lewisi infections, causes an important decrease of the natural resistance to T. gondii of the white rats, which is manifested by the major invasion and multiplication of the parasite inside of peritoneal macrophages...
- Description of Eimeria arabukosokokensis sp. n. (Apicomplexa: eimeriidae) from Telescopus semiannulatus (Serpentes: Colubridae) with notes on eimerian coccidia from snakes of Eastern KenyaJan R Slapeta
Department of Parasitology, University of Veterinary and Pharmaceutical Sciences Brno, Palackeho 1 3, 612 42 Brno, Czech Republic
Folia Parasitol (Praha) 50:23-30. 2003..in sub-Saharan Psammophis Boie, 1827 is discusses and all species reported by various authors to date are suggested to be treated as species inquirendae until more detailed data on these parasites and their hosts are available...
- Murine models to test parasite products as cures for Inflammatory Bowel DiseaseLinda S Mansfield; Fiscal Year: 2010..1990-2003, she focused on finding naturally occurring animal models for Campylobacter jejuni and Cyst forming coccidia (Sarcocystis neurona, etc.) with the long-term goal to convert these to mouse models...
- The Role of Toxoplasma Rhoptries in Host Cell InfectionPETER JOHN BRADLEY; Fiscal Year: 2013..that apicomplexans contain a conserved core complex that is required for invasion, which is enhanced in the coccidia via RON8...
- GHESKIO HIV Clinical Trial UnitJean William Pape; Fiscal Year: 2011..landmark clinical trials on the treatment and prophylaxis of HIV-infected patients with tuberculosis and coccidia co-infection...
- GHESKIO HIV Clinical Trial UnitJean William Pape; Fiscal Year: 2013..landmark clinical trials on the treatment and prophylaxis of HIV-infected patients with tuberculosis and coccidia co-infection...
- CONTROL OF ION TRANSPORT IN HEALTH AND DIARRHEAL DISEASEJOHN DOBBINS; Fiscal Year: 1991..Animal models of diarrhea will include coccidia-infected animals, diabetic animals, glucocorticoid-depleted animals, and 6-OH-dopamine treated animals...
- NO& Epithelial Repair in CryptosporidiosisJody Gookin; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Role of iNOS and CAT-2 in defense against CP infectionJody Gookin; Fiscal Year: 2006..parvum infection. The PI is presently in the 3rd year of a 5-year K08 from NIDDK. These studies are anticipated to generate key preliminary data for the PI's first R01 application ..
- HOST FACTORS MEDIATE INVASION BY CAMPYLOBACTER JEJUNILINDA MANSFIELD; Fiscal Year: 2002..jejuni invasion is facilitated due to a direct effect of some secreted/excreted product of the worms, and 4) Determine what host cell genes are differentially expressed during C. jejuni invasion. ..