Summary: A species of STAPHYLOCOCCUS similar to STAPHYLOCOCCUS HAEMOLYTICUS, but containing different esterases. The subspecies Staphylococcus hominis novobiosepticus is highly virulent and novobiocin resistant.
Publications118 found, 100 shown here
- Outbreak of Staphylococcus hominis subsp. novobiosepticus bloodstream infections in São Paulo city, BrazilPedro A d'Azevedo
J Med Microbiol 57:256-7. 2008
- A sequence variant of Staphylococcus hominis with a high prevalence of oxacillin and fluoroquinolone resistanceJ E Fitzgibbon
Department of Medicine, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, New Brunswick, USA
Res Microbiol 152:805-10. 2001A newly identified subspecies of Staphylococcus hominis, S. hominis subsp. novobiosepticus, was found to be the cause of several invasive infections at a hospital in New Jersey. This subspecies differs from classical S. hominis, now S...
- Isolation and characterization of subgingival staphylococci from periodontitis patients and controlsF E Murdoch
The School of Dentistry, The University of Birmingham, St Chad s Queensway, Birmingham, UK
Oral Dis 10:155-62. 2004..To isolate and characterize subgingival staphylococci from patients with periodontal disease and from periodontally healthy controls, to evaluate the periodontal environment as a potential source for systemic staphylococcal infections...
- Emergence of Staphylococcus hominis strains expressing low-level resistance to quinupristin/dalfopristin in GreeceE Petinaki
J Antimicrob Chemother 55:811-2. 2005
- Staphylococcus hominis endophthalmitis associated with a capsular hypopyonMohan N Iyer
Department of Ophthalmology, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
Am J Ophthalmol 139:930-2. 2005To report a case of Staphylococcus hominis endophthalmitis associated with a capsular hypopyon.
- Staphylococcus hominis subsp. novobiosepticus strains causing nosocomial bloodstream infection in BrazilIzabel Cristina Vanzato Palazzo
Faculdade de Medicina de Ribeirao Preto, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Av dos Bandeirantes 3900, Brazil
J Antimicrob Chemother 62:1222-6. 2008To report the isolation of six Staphylococcus hominis subsp...
- Evolution of nasal carriage of methicillin-resistant coagulase-negative staphylococci in a remote populationDavid Lebeaux
Bacteriology Unit and French National Reference Center for Bacterial Resistance in Commensal Flora, Diderot Paris 7 University and Bichat Claude Bernard Teaching Hospital Assistance Publique Hôpitaux de Paris, Paris, France
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 56:315-23. 2012..epidermidis (n = 89, 62 MLVA patterns), Staphylococcus haemolyticus (n = 78), and Staphylococcus hominis (n = 72), exhibited 41 distinct ccr and mec gene complex associations...
- Molecular epidemiology of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus hominis (MRSHo): low clonality and reservoirs of SCCmec structural elementsOns Bouchami
Laboratory of Molecular Genetics, Instituto de Tecnologia Quimica e Biologica, Oeiras, Portugal
PLoS ONE 6:e21940. 2011Methicillin resistant Staphylococcus hominis (MRSHo) are important human pathogens in immunocompromised patients. However, little is known regarding its population structure and staphylococcal chromosomal cassette mec (SCCmec) content.
- Staphylococcus hominis native mitral valve bacterial endocarditis (SBE) in a patient with hypertrophic obstructive cardiomyopathyBurke A Cunha
Winthrop University Hospital, Mineola, New York State University of New York School of Medicine, Stony Brook, New York, USA
Heart Lung 36:380-2. 2007..To the best of our knowledge, we report the first case of Staphylococcal hominis mitral valve endocarditis in a patient with hypertrophic obstructive cardiomyopathy...
- Nosocomial spread of a Staphylococcus hominis subsp. novobiosepticus strain causing sepsis in a neonatal intensive care unitFernando Chaves
Servicio de Microbiologia, Hospital Universitario Doce de Octubre, Madrid, Spain
J Clin Microbiol 43:4877-9. 2005From 2002 to 2003, 32 isolates of Staphylococcus hominis subsp. novobiosepticus (SHN) were recovered from 21 patients, 18 of whom were neonates, with 13 considered to have late-onset SHN sepsis...
- Antibiotic resistance and molecular characterization of clinical isolates of methicillin-resistant coagulase-negative staphylococci isolated from bacteremic patients in oncohematologyO Bouchami
Laboratory Department, Centre National de Greffe de Moelle Osseuse, Tunis, Tunisia
Folia Microbiol (Praha) 56:122-30. 2011..6%) followed by Staphylococcus haemolyticus (22.2%) and Staphylococcus hominis (2.2%). Extended susceptibility profiles were generated for MRCoNS against 16 antimicrobial agents...
- Identification in methicillin-susceptible Staphylococcus hominis of an active primordial mobile genetic element for the staphylococcal cassette chromosome mec of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureusYuki Katayama
Department of Bacteriology, Faculty of Medicine, Juntendo University, Tokyo, Japan
J Bacteriol 185:2711-22. 2003..In the present work, we detected homologues of the ccr genes in Staphylococcus hominis type strain GIFU12263 (equivalent to ATCC 27844), which is susceptible to methicillin...
- Characterization and structure identification of an antimicrobial peptide, hominicin, produced by Staphylococcus hominis MBBL 2-9Pyoung Il Kim
School of Chemical and Biological Engineering, Institute of Molecular Biology and Genetics, Seoul National University, Seoul 151 744, Republic of Korea
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 399:133-8. 2010..The present study is the first report of this novel antimicrobial peptide, which has uncommon amino acid residues like the ones in Class I group and shows potent activity against clinically relevant S. aureus, MRSA and VISA...
- A comparison of adherence by four strains of Staphylococcus intermedius and Staphylococcus hominis to canine corneocytes collected from normal dogs and dogs suffering from atopic dermatitisN A McEwan
Division of Companion Animals, Department of Verterinary Clinical Studies, Institute of Comparative Medicine, University of Glasgow Veterinary School, Bearsden Road, Glasgow G61 1QH, UK
Res Vet Sci 78:193-8. 2005..study was to compare the adherence of four strains of Staphylococcus intermedius and a single strain of Staphylococcus hominis to corneocytes from both normal dogs and dogs suffering from atopic dermatitis...
- Pacemaker lead endocarditis caused by Staphylococcus hominisMustafa Sunbul
Department of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases, Ondokuz Mayis University, Medical School, Samsun, Turkey
Pacing Clin Electrophysiol 29:543-5. 2006..Blood cultures grew Staphylococcus hominis. The patient was treated with antibiotics and operated on after the acute phase of the illness had ..
- Identification of Staphylococcus species with the VITEK 2 system: the case of Staphylococcus hominisJacob Gilad
J Clin Microbiol 45:685; author reply 685-6. 2007
- [Pyomyositis, sacroiliitis and spondylodiscitis caused by Staphylococcus hominis in a immunocompetent woman]N Gomez Rodriguez
Servicios de Reumatología, Hospital POVISA, Vigo Pntevedra
An Med Interna 23:582-4. 2006..pyomyositis, left sacroiliitis and spondylodiscitis involving the first and second thoracic vertebrae by Staphylococcus hominis. This multifocal infection occurred five-weeks after intramuscular administration of NSAI for treatment of ..
- [Nosocomial spread of linezolid-resistant Staphylococcus hominis in two hospitals in Majorca]Enrique Ruiz de Gopegui
Servicio de Microbiologia, Hospital Universitari Son Espases, Palma de Mallorca, Espana
Enferm Infecc Microbiol Clin 29:339-44. 2011Since March 2008, several linezolid and teicoplanin-resistant Staphylococcus hominis (S. hominis) isolates have been recovered from patients admitted to the two major hospitals on the island of Majorca, Spain...
- Clonal relatedness of methicillin-resistant coagulase-negative staphylococci in the haemodialysis unit of a single university centre in GreeceVassilis Liakopoulos
Department of Nephrology, School of Medicine, University of Thessaly, Papakyriazi 22, 41222 Larissa, Greece
Nephrol Dial Transplant 23:2599-603. 2008..In addition, the CoNS isolates from carriers among health-care workers of the local haemodialysis unit were tested...
- Detection of new mutations conferring resistance to linezolid in glycopeptide-intermediate susceptibility Staphylococcus hominis subspecies hominis circulating in an intensive care unitA Sorlozano
Departamento de Microbiologia, Facultad de Medicina, University of Granada, Granada, Spain
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 29:73-80. 2010..This report alerts to the possible appearance of clinical strains of methicillin-resistant staphylococci with intermediate resistance to glycopeptides, resistance to linezolid, and multiple resistance to other second-line antibiotics...
- A new approach towards ikimine A analoguesJürgen Krauss
Department Pharmazie Zentrum für Pharmaforschung, Ludwig Maximilians Universitat Munchen, Butenandtstr 5 13, 81377 Munich, Germany
Nat Prod Res 18:397-401. 2004..This aldehyde was converted to the ikimine A analogon with O-methyl hydroxylamine hydrochloride. This product and the intermediate alkylpyridines were tested in the agar diffusion assay for antibacterial and antifungal activities...
- Prevalence and persistence of coagulase-negative Staphylococcus species in three dairy research herdsB E Gillespie
Department of Animal Science, The University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN 37996, USA
Vet Microbiol 134:65-72. 2009..hyicus (26%), Staphylococcus epidermidis (10%), Staphylococcus simulans (7%), Staphylococcus warneri (2%), Staphylococcus hominis (2%), Staphylococcus saprophyticus (1%), Staphylococcus xylosus (1%), Staphylococcus haemolyticus (<1%),..
- Interventions for control of Salmonella: clearance of microbial growth from rubber picker fingersJ W Arnold
USDA, Agricultural Research Service, Russell Research Center, PO Box 5677, Athens, GA 30604 5677, USA
Poult Sci 88:1292-8. 2009..were present: Bacillus amyloliquefaciens, Bacillus cereus/thuringiensis, Staphylococcus epidermidis, Staphylococcus hominis ssp. novobiosepticus, and Staphylococcus intermedius...
- Occurrence of staphylococci in the oral cavities of healthy adults and nasal oral trafficking of the bacteriaY Ohara-Nemoto
Department of Oral Molecular Biology, Nagasaki University Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, Nagasaki 852 8588, Japan
J Med Microbiol 57:95-9. 2008..4 %), followed by Staphylococcus epidermidis (41.1 %) and others (Staphylococcus hominis, Staphylococcus warneri, Staphylococcus intermedius, Staphylococcus capitis, Staphylococcus haemolyticus, ..
- Differentiation of Staphylococcus spp. by high-resolution melting analysisMichal Slany
Centre for Cardiovascular Surgery and Transplantations, Pekarska 53, 656 91 Brno, Czech Republic
Can J Microbiol 56:1040-9. 2010..Staphylococcus capitis, Staphylococcus caprae, Staphylococcus epidermidis, Staphylococcus haemolyticus, Staphylococcus hominis, Staphylococcus intermedius, Staphylococcus saprophyticus, Staphylococcus sciuri, Staphylococcus simulans, ..
- Molecular characterization of femA from Staphylococcus hominis and Staphylococcus saprophyticus, and femA-based discrimination of staphylococcal speciesP Vannuffel
Laboratory of Applied Molecular Technology, Brussels, Belgium
Res Microbiol 150:129-41. 1999....
- Renal tolerability of teicoplanin in a case of neonatal overdoseV Fanos
Department of Pediatrics University of Verona, Italy
J Chemother 10:381-4. 1998..which recovered within 7 days of life, antibiotic therapy with teicoplanin was started for sepsis due to Staphylococcus hominis. However, for 5 days the dosage was excessive (20 mg/kg twice daily instead of an initial dose of 16 mg/kg ..
- Use of the VITEK 2 system for rapid identification of clinical isolates of Staphylococci from bloodstream infectionsTeresa Spanu
Institute of Microbiology, Catholic University of the Sacred Heart, Rome, Italy
J Clin Microbiol 41:4259-63. 2003..Only one strain (0.2%) was misidentified (Staphylococcus hominis as Staphylococcus epidermidis), and four (1%), all S. epidermidis, were not identified...
- Reliable identification of clinically prevalent species and subspecies of staphylococci by sodium dodecyl sulfate polyacrylamide gel electrophoresis analysisOlinda Cabral da Silva Santos
Institute of Microbiology, Federal University of Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 64:1-5. 2009..Except for 5 isolates that presented biochemical profiles of Staphylococcus hominis subsp. hominis, but were identified as S. hominis subsp...
- Identification of the nukacin KQU-131, a new type-A(II) lantibiotic produced by Staphylococcus hominis KQU-131 isolated from Thai fermented fish product (Pla-ra)Pongtep Wilaipun
Department of Fishery Products, Faculty of Fisheries, Kasetsart University, Chatuchak, Bangkok, Thailand
Biosci Biotechnol Biochem 72:2232-5. 2008b>Staphylococcus hominis KQU-131, isolated from Thai fermented marine fish, produces a heat stable bacteriocin...
- Reliability of the MicroScan WalkAway PC21 panel in identifying and detecting oxacillin resistance in clinical coagulase-negative staphylococci strainsA N Olendzki
Departamento de Microbiologia Medica, Instituto de Microbiologia Paulo de Góes, Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, Av Carlos Chagas Filho, 373, Cidade Universitaria, 21941 590, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 33:29-33. 2014..demonstrated 100 % reliability for the identification of the clinical strains Staphylococcus haemolyticus, Staphylococcus hominis and Staphylococcus cohnii; 98...
- Biofilm formation by Staphylococcus hominis strains isolated from human clinical specimensEwa Szczuka
Department of Microbiology, Institute of Experimental Biology, Faculty of Biology, Adam Mickiewicz University, ul Umultowska 89, 61 614, Poznan, Poland
Folia Microbiol (Praha) 60:1-5. 2015b>Staphylococcus hominis is the third species of coagulase-negative staphylococci (CoNS) most frequently isolated from specimens of patients with hospital-acquired infections...
- Multidrug-resistant Staphylococcus hominis subsp. novobiosepticus causing septicemia in patients with malignancyPriyamvada Roy
Department of Laboratory Medicine, Delhi State Cancer Institute, Dilshad Garden, New Delhi, India
Indian J Pathol Microbiol 57:275-7. 2014A new subspecies of Staphylococcus hominis described by Kloos et al. in 1998 and named S. hominis subsp. novobiosepticus (SHN) has been implicated in nosocomial outbreaks...
- Comparison of Sensititre microdilution method to other standard methods for susceptibility testing of coagulase-negative staphylococci from paediatric blood culturesRichard J Drew
Department of Microbiology, Alder Hey Children s NHS Foundation Trust, Liverpool L12 2AP, United Kingdom Department of Clinical Infection, Microbiology and Immunology, Institute of Infection and Global Health, University of Liverpool, L69 7BE Liverpool, United Kingdom Electronic address
Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 78:213-6. 2014Susceptibility testing on 60 isolates of Staphylococcus epidermidis and 20 isolates of Staphylococcus hominis was performed using the Sensititre (Trek Diagnostics, Cleveland, OH, USA) method and compared with Vitek-2 automated ..
- Identification of compounds inhibiting the C-S lyase activity of a cell extract from a Staphylococcus sp. isolated from human skinM Egert
Henkel AG and Co KGaA, Dusseldorf, Germany Faculty of Medical and Life Sciences, Microbiology and Hygiene group, Hochschule Furtwangen University, Campus Villingen Schwenningen, Villingen Schwenningen, Germany
Lett Appl Microbiol 57:534-9. 2013..The substances identified as C-S lyase inhibitors have the potential to improve the performance of anti-body-odour cosmetic products, for example, ethanol-based deodorants...
- Susceptibility patterns of coagulase-negative staphylococci to several newer antimicrobial agents in comparison with vancomycin and oxacillinJ Ian Stuart
Department of Microbiology, London Health Sciences Centre, London, Ontario, Canada
Int J Antimicrob Agents 37:248-52. 2011..Daptomycin had good activity against all isolates. Staphylococcus haemolyticus, Staphylococcus hominis subsp...
- [Molecular cloning and characterization of a N-acetylneuraminate lyase gene from Staphylococcus hominis]Chuanhua Zhou
College of Bioengineering, Tianjin University of Science and Technology, Tianjin 300457, China
Sheng Wu Gong Cheng Xue Bao 29:480-9. 2013A N-acetylneuraminate lyase gene (shnal) from Staphylococcus hominis was cloned into pET-28a and expressed in Escherichia coli BL21 (DE3) host cells. The recombinant enzyme was purified and characterized...
- Cardiac surgery in patients with acute intermittent porphyriaFilippo Benassi
Department of Cardiovascular Surgery, Hesperia Hospital, Modena, Italy
J Card Surg 27:331-4. 2012..often play a key role in triggering a porphiric acute attack. We describe a 50-year-old woman with AIP who underwent aortic valve replacement due to acute infective endocarditis and review the perioperative management of these patients...
- Staphylococcus jettensis sp. nov., a coagulase-negative staphylococcal species isolated from human clinical specimensAnnelies De Bel
Department of Microbiology and Infection Control, Universitair Ziekenhuis Brussel, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Laarbeeklaan 101, 1090 Brussels, Belgium
Int J Syst Evol Microbiol 63:3250-6. 2013..with the most closely related species of the genus Staphylococcus (Staphylococcus haemolyticus, Staphylococcus hominis and Staphlococcus lugdunensis) was observed...
- Emergence of cfr-harbouring coagulase-negative staphylococci among patients receiving linezolid therapy in two hospitals in ChinaXue Jing Yang
Department of Clinical Laboratory, The First Affiliated Hospital, Zhejiang Chinese Medical University, 59 Youdian Road, Hangzhou, Zhejiang 310006, PR China
J Med Microbiol 62:845-50. 2013..Eight Staphylococcus capitis isolates, one Staphylococcus epidermidis isolate and one Staphylococcus hominis isolate, obtained from patients who had received linezolid therapy in two hospitals in Hangzhou, China, ..
- Phylogeny of bacteria isolated from Rhabditis sp. (Nematoda) and identification of novel entomopathogenic Serratia marcescens strainsJames T Tambong
Bacteriology Unit, Eastern Cereal and Oilseed Research Centre, Agriculture and Agri Food Canada, Ottawa, ON, K1A 0C6, Canada
Curr Microbiol 66:138-44. 2013..One isolate each matched Pseudomonas mosselii, Rheinheimera aquimaris, Achromobacter marplatensis, or Staphylococcus hominis. Serratia isolates were examined further for their pathogenicity to Galleria mellonella larvae...
- MALDI-TOF mass spectrometry speciation of staphylococci and their discrimination from micrococci isolated from indoor air of schoolroomsKaren Fox
Department of Pathology, Microbiology and Immunology, School of Medicine, University of South Carolina, Columbia, SC 29208, USA
J Environ Monit 12:917-23. 2010..positive (Staphylococcus aureus [3 strains]) and coagulase negative: Staphylococcus warneri (4 isolates), Staphylococcus hominis (2), Staphylococcus saprophyticus (1) and Staphylococcus cohnii (1). S...
- Cardiovascular implantable electronic device endocarditis treated with daptomycin with or without transvenous removalCarlo Tascini
Unita Operativa Malattie Infettive, Azienda Ospedaliera Universitaria Pisana, Pisa, Italy
Heart Lung 41:e24-30. 2012..Staphylococcus aureus, 1 methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus epidermidis, 1 methicillin-sensitive Staphylococcus hominis, and 1 Propionibacterium acnes. The CIED was removed transvenously in 7 patients...
- Evaluation of matrix-assisted laser desorption ionization-time-of-flight mass spectrometry in comparison to rpoB gene sequencing for species identification of bloodstream infection staphylococcal isolatesT Spanu
Istituto di Microbiologia, Universita Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Rome, Italy
Clin Microbiol Infect 17:44-9. 2011..capitis and subsp. urealyticus, Staphylococcus cohnii subsp. urealyticus, Staphylococcus hominis subsp. novobiosepticus and subsp. hominis, Staphylococcus saprophyticus subsp...
- [Central venous catheters-related infections in patients with parenteral nutrition]R Seisdedos Elcuaz
Hospital General La Mancha Centro, Alcazar de San Juan, Ciudad Real, Espana
Nutr Hosp 27:775-80. 2012..Administration of total parenteral nutrition (TPN) is a risk factor, although the information available for these patients and conventional inpatient units is scarce...
- Multiple staphylococcal cassette chromosomes and allelic variants of cassette chromosome recombinases in Staphylococcus aureus and coagulase-negative staphylococci from NorwayAnne Merethe Hanssen
Department of Microbiology and Virology, Faculty of Medicine, Institute of Medical Biology, University of Tromsø, Tromsø, Norway
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 51:1671-7. 2007..III (mec complex A, ccrAB3, and ccrC7) in Staphylococcus epidermidis, Staphylococcus haemolyticus, and Staphylococcus hominis. Eleven of 42 strains contained multiple copies of ccr, suggesting the presence of mosaic structures ..
- Microwave-assisted preparation of cyclic ketals from a cineole ketone as potential cosmetic ingredients: solvent-free synthesis, odour evaluation, in vitro cytotoxicity and antimicrobial assaysM T Genta
Dipartimento Scienze Farmaceutiche dell Università, Viale Benedetto XV, 3, 16132, Genova, Italy
Int J Pharm 231:11-20. 2002..that resulted interesting as toothpaste aromas, were submitted to antimicrobial assays and showed their activity against Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Escherichia coli, Staphylococcus hominis, Propionibacterium acnes and Candida albicans.
- Changes in bacterial flora associated with skin damage on hands of health care personnelE L Larson
Georgetown University School of Nursing, Washington, DC, USA
Am J Infect Control 26:513-21. 1998..Although numbers were small, nurses with damaged hands were significantly more likely to be colonized with Staphylococcus hominis (P = .03)...
- Internalisation potential of Escherichia coli O157:H7, Listeria monocytogenes, Salmonella enterica subsp. enterica serovar Typhimurium and Staphylococcus aureus in lettuce seedlings and mature plantsTaryn Ann Standing
Department of Microbiology and Plant Pathology, University of Pretoria, Hatfield, Pretoria, South Africa
J Water Health 11:210-23. 2013..e., Enterobacter cloacae, Enterococcus faecalis, Lysinibacillus fusiformis, Rhodococcus rhodochrous, Staphylococcus epidermidis and Staphylococcus hominis were identified.
- Genetic relatedness of coagulase-negative Staphylococci from gastrointestinal tract and blood of preterm neonates with late-onset sepsisHiie Soeorg
Department of Microbiology, University of Tartu, Tartu, Estonia
Pediatr Infect Dis J 32:389-93. 2013..To elucidate whether GIT could be a potential source of invasive strains, we aimed to assess the molecular similarity between CoNS from blood and GIT in preterm neonates with LOS...
- StaphPlex system for rapid and simultaneous identification of antibiotic resistance determinants and Panton-Valentine leukocidin detection of staphylococci from positive blood culturesYi Wei Tang
Department of Medicine, Molecular Infectious Disease Laboratory, Vanderbilt University Hospital, 4605 TVC, Nashville, TN 37232 5310, USA
J Clin Microbiol 45:1867-73. 2007..3%) Staphylococcus epidermidis isolates, 10 (3.6%) Staphylococcus haemolyticus isolates, 27 (9.7%) Staphylococcus hominis isolates, 1 (0.4%) Staphylococcus lugdunensis isolate, and 36 (13...
- Activity of telavancin and comparator antimicrobial agents tested against Staphylococcus spp. isolated from hospitalised patients in Europe (2007-2008)Rodrigo E Mendes
JMI Laboratories, 345 Beaver Kreek Centre, Suite A, North Liberty, IA 52317, USA
Int J Antimicrob Agents 36:374-9. 2010..CoNS, telavancin was slightly more active against Staphylococcus capitis, Staphylococcus epidermidis, Staphylococcus hominis, Staphylococcus lugdunensis and Staphylococcus xylosus (MIC(50)=0...
- Epidemiology and susceptibilities to mercury preservatives of staphylococci isolated from used eye-drops preserved with thiomersalS K Du Bois
Department of Pharmaceutics, School of Pharmacy, University of London, UK
J Pharm Pharmacol 47:193-6. 1995Minimum inhibitory concentrations (MICs) of seven independent isolates of Staphylococcus hominis isolated in the same week from used eye-drops, preserved with thiomersal and collected from wards and clinics in the same hospital, ranged ..
- Presence of an additional penicillin-binding protein in methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus epidermidis, Staphylococcus haemolyticus, Staphylococcus hominis, and Staphylococcus simulans with a low affinity for methicillin, cephalothin, and cefamandoleJ Pierre
Laboratoire de Microbiologie Medicale, Universite Pierre et Marie Curie, Paris, France
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 34:1691-4. 1990..aureus SR 1550-9. These results suggest that this protein is similar to, if not the same as, PBP 2' of S. aureus and that it is involved in methicillin resistance in the four species studied...
- The incidence of bacteraemia after argon plasma coagulation in patients with chronic radiation proctocolitisL Lenz
Universidade Federal de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Colorectal Dis 13:823-5. 2011..Argon plasma coagulation (APC) is considered a safe treatment for haemorrhagic chronic radiation proctocolitis (CRPC), but bacteraemia is a rare complication. The study aimed to evaluate the frequency of bacteraemia after APC...
- Resistance of bacterial biofilms formed on stainless steel surface to disinfecting agentJoanna Królasik
Institute of Agricultural and Food Biotechnology, Warsaw, Poland
Pol J Microbiol 59:281-7. 2010..Bacterial strains: Listeria innocua, Pseudomonas putida, Micrococcus luteus, Staphylococcus hominis strains, were isolated from food contact surfaces, after a cleaning and disinfection process...
- Whole-genome sequence of Staphylococcus hominis, an opportunistic pathogenSaiping Jiang
Department of Pharmacy, The First Affiliated Hospital, College of Medicine, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, China
J Bacteriol 194:4761-2. 2012b>Staphylococcus hominis is a commensal coagulase-negative species of staphylococci. It has been considered a presumptive and opportunistic pathogen that causes nosocomial infections in humans. Here we present the draft genome sequence of S...
- Daptomycin lock therapy for grampositive long-term catheter-related bloodstream infectionsJ L del Pozo
Division of Infectious Diseases, Clinica Universidad de Navarra, Pamplona, Spain
Int J Clin Pract 66:305-8. 2012..To evaluate the efficacy of Daptomycin (DPT) lock therapy in the treatment of Grampositive long-term catheter-related bloodstream infections (LT-CRBI)...
- Species and staphylococcal cassette chromosome mec (SCCmec) diversity among methicillin-resistant non-Staphylococcus aureus staphylococci isolated from pigsWannes Vanderhaeghen
Department of General Bacteriology, Veterinary and Agrochemical Research Centre, Groeselenbergstraat 99, B 1180 Ukkel, Belgium
Vet Microbiol 158:123-8. 2012..1%), Staphylococcus rostri (12.5%), Staphylococcus warneri (8.3%), Staphylococcus haemolyticus (2.7%) and Staphylococcus hominis (1.4%). SCCmec cassettes were of type IVa (29.2%), type IVc (25%), type III (22.2%), type V (5...
- Taurolidine lock solution in the secondary prevention of central venous catheter-associated bloodstream infection in home parenteral nutrition patientsAbdoulaye Toure
Inserm Unit 1060 Inra 1235, University of Lyon, Lyon, France
Clin Nutr 31:567-70. 2012..The aim was to analyze the impact of taurolidine-citrate lock solution (TLS) on CBSI rate in HPN patients with a high risk of catheter infection...
- Antimicrobial activity of two techniques for arm skin disinfection of blood donors in BrazilM S Celere
Regional Blood Center of Ribeirão Preto, Ribeirao Preto, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Transfus Med 22:116-21. 2012....
- Evaluation of phenotypic methods for methicillin resistance characterization in coagulase-negative staphylococci (CNS)Juliana Caierão
Fundacao Faculdade Federal de Ciencias Medicas de Porto Alegre, Rua Sarmento Leite 245 211, Porto Alegre, RS 90050 170, Brazil
J Med Microbiol 53:1195-9. 2004..epidermidis, Staphylococcus hominis and Staphylococcus haemolyticus...
- Distribution of SCCmec-associated phenol-soluble modulin in staphylococciStefan Monecke
Institute for Medical Microbiology and Hygiene, Technical University of Dresden, Dresden, Germany
Mol Cell Probes 26:99-103. 2012..PSM-mec was detected in Staphylococcus aureus, Staphylococcus epidermidis, Staphylococcus fleuretti, Staphylococcus hominis, Staphylococcus pseudintermedius, Staphylococcus saprophyticus, Staphylococcus simulans and Staphylococcus ..
- Characterization of novel phages isolated in coagulase-negative staphylococci reveals evolutionary relationships with Staphylococcus aureus phagesMarie Deghorain
Laboratoire de Génétique et Physiologie Bactérienne, Faculte de Sciences, IBMM, Universite Libre de Bruxelles, Gosselies, Belgium
J Bacteriol 194:5829-39. 2012..isolated and sequenced three novel temperate Siphoviridae phages (StB12, StB27, and StB20) from the CoNS Staphylococcus hominis and S. capitis species...
- Multilocus sequence typing and further genetic characterization of the enigmatic pathogen, Staphylococcus hominisLiangfen Zhang
Department of Microbiology, University of Mississippi Medical Center, Jackson, Mississippi, United States of America
PLoS ONE 8:e66496. 2013b>Staphylococcus hominis is a commensal resident of human skin and an opportunistic pathogen. The species is subdivided into two subspecies, S. hominis subsp. hominis and S. hominis subsp. novobiosepticus, which are difficult to distinguish...
- ZAAPS Program results for 2010: an activity and spectrum analysis of linezolid using clinical isolates from 75 medical centres in 24 countriesRobert K Flamm
JMI Laboratories, North Liberty, IA, USA
J Chemother 24:328-37. 2012..Eight CoNS (Staphylococcus epidermidis, Staphylococcus hominis) isolates were observed to be resistant to linezolid (MIC, ≥8 μg/ml)...
- Characterization of bacteria of the genus Staphylococcus isolated from the eggs of Japanese quail (Coturnix coturnix japonica)E Pyzik
Department of Avian Diseases, Institute of Biological Bases of Animal Diseases, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Life Sciences in Lublin, Głeboka 30, 20 612 Lublin, Poland
Pol J Vet Sci 15:767-72. 2012..Among the species isolated (11 in total), the most frequently occurring strains were of Staphylococcus hominis (26.7%), followed by Staphylococcus aureus (15.6%), S. xylosus and S. lentus (13...
- Microbiological and molecular characterization of Staphylococcus hominis isolates from bloodSoraya Mendoza-Olazarán
Departamento de Microbiologia, Facultad de Medicina, Universidad Autónoma de Nuevo León Monterrey Nuevo León, Mexico
PLoS ONE 8:e61161. 2013Among Coagulase-Negative Staphylococci (CoNS), Staphylococcus hominis represents the third most common organism recoverable from the blood of immunocompromised patients...
- Prevalence and antimicrobial susceptibility patterns of bacteria from milkmen and cows with clinical mastitis in and around Kampala, UgandaDavid Patrick Kateete
Department of Medical Microbiology, School of Biomedical Sciences, Makerere University College of Health Sciences, Kampala, Uganda
PLoS ONE 8:e63413. 2013..Here we describe the distribution and antimicrobial susceptibility patterns of bacteria from cows with clinical mastitis in Kampala, Uganda. Due to high concern of zoonotic infections, isolates from milkmen are also described...
- Identification of coagulase-negative staphylococci other than Staphylococcus epidermidis by automated ribotypingE Carretto
Laboratori Sperimentali di Ricerca, Area Infettivologica, IRCCS Policlinico San Matteo, 27100 Pavia, Italy
Clin Microbiol Infect 11:177-84. 2005..capitis, Staphylococcus hominis, Staphylococcus haemolyticus, Staphylococcus simulans, S...
- Differentiation of bacterial 16S rRNA genes and intergenic regions and Mycobacterium tuberculosis katG genes by structure-specific endonuclease cleavageM A Brow
Third Wave Technologies Inc, University of Wisconsin, Madison, USA
J Clin Microbiol 34:3129-37. 1996..Structural fingerprinting by digestion with Cleavase I is a rapid, simple, and sensitive method for analyzing nucleic acid sequences and may find wide utility in microbial analysis...
- Transcriptional profiling analysis of the global regulator NorG, a GntR-like protein of Staphylococcus aureusQ C Truong-Bolduc
Infectious Diseases Division, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02114 2696, USA
J Bacteriol 193:6207-14. 2011..and the putative SACOL2525 protein showed 87% homology with the bacitracin drug transporter BcrA of Staphylococcus hominis. Two pump genes most negatively affected by NorG were the NorC (4-fold) and AbcA (6-fold) genes...
- Species-specific sensitivity of coagulase-negative Staphylococci to single antibiotics and their combinationsGrazyna Szymanska
Department of Biosynthesis of Drugs, Medical University of Łódź, Poland
Pol J Microbiol 60:155-61. 2011..belonged to four species: Staphylococcus epidermidis, Staphylococcus haemolyticus, Staphylococcus cohnii, Staphylococcus hominis. They originated from a hospital environment and from the skin of medical staff of the intensive care unit ..
- Pathogenicity of Staphylococcus lugdunensis, Staphylococcus schleiferi, and three other coagulase-negative staphylococci in a mouse model and possible virulence factorsD W Lambe
Department of Microbiology, James H Quillen College of Medicine, East Tennessee State University, Johnson City, TN 37614
Can J Microbiol 36:455-63. 1990..lugdunensis, S. schleiferi, Staphylococcus epidermidis, Staphylococcus warneri, and Staphylococcus hominis, using a mouse model in which a foreign body preadhered with the test strain was implanted subcutaneously, ..
- [Severe congenital neutropenia]Wilmer Córdova Calderón
Unidad de Inmunología del Hospital Guillermo Almenara Irigoyen, Lima, Peru
Rev Alerg Mex 57:176-81. 2010..Isolated agents were Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Staphylococcus hominis and Klebsiella sp...
- Eustachian valve endocarditis: Rare case reports and review of literatureGaurav Alreja
Department of Medicine, Baystate Medical Center, Tufts University School of Medicine, Springfield, MA, USA
J Cardiovasc Dis Res 2:181-5. 2011..We report 2 new cases caused by vancomycin resistant Staphylococcus aureus and Staphylococcus hominis diagnosed on transesophageal echocardiography (TEE)...
- The Staphylococcus aureus and Staphylococcus epidermidis transferrin-binding proteins are expressed in vivo during infectionB J Modun
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Nottingham, University Park, UK
Microbiology 144:1005-12. 1998..In two of these patients, each of whom experienced an episode of peritonitis due to S. epidermidis or Staphylococcus hominis, antibodies to the TBP appeared in the HPD collected immediately post-infection...
- Clonal spread of staphylococci among patients with peritonitis associated with continuous ambulatory peritoneal dialysisT Monsen
Department of Clinical Bacteriology and Department of Infectious Diseases, University Hospital of Umea, Sweden
Kidney Int 57:613-8. 2000..Coagulase-negative staphylococci (CNS) are the most common causes of peritonitis, only limited information is available regarding the distribution and epidemiology of different CNS species associated with CAPD peritonitis...
- Staphylococcus hominis subsp. novobiosepticus subsp. nov., a novel trehalose- and N-acetyl-D-glucosamine-negative, novobiocin- and multiple-antibiotic-resistant subspecies isolated from human blood culturesW E Kloos
North Carolina State University, Raleigh 27695 7614, USA
Int J Syst Bacteriol 48:799-812. 1998A new subspecies, Staphylococcus hominis subsp. novobiosepticus, isolated from human blood cultures, a wound, a breast abscess and a catheter tip, is described on the basis of a study of 26 strains isolated between 1989 and 1996...
- Double triplex real-time PCR assay for simultaneous detection of Staphylococcus aureus, Staphylococcus epidermidis, Staphylococcus hominis, and Staphylococcus haemolyticus and determination of their methicillin resistance directly from positive blood cultAbdullah Kilic
Department of Microbiology and Clinical Microbiology, Gulhane Military Medical Academy and School of Medicine, 06018 Ankara, Turkey
Res Microbiol 162:1060-6. 2011..PCR assay to simultaneously detect and identify Staphylococcus aureus, Staphylococcus epidermidis, Staphylococcus hominis, Staphylococcus haemolyticus and their methicillin resistance in a single reaction directly from Gram-..
- Alternative therapies in antibiotic-resistant infectionB Weber-Dabrowska
Institute of Immunology and Experimental Therapy, e Polish Academy of Sciences, Wrocław, Poland
Adv Med Sci 51:242-4. 2006..In conclusion, specific bacteriophage therapy combined with the administration of lactoferrin proved to be effective in the treatment of antibiotic-resistant external ear infection...
- Clinical importance of identifying coagulase-negative staphylococci isolated from blood cultures: evaluation of MicroScan Rapid and Dried Overnight Gram-Positive panels versus a conventional reference methodM P Weinstein
Department of Medicine, UMDNJ Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, and Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital, New Brunswick, New Jersey 08903 0019, USA
J Clin Microbiol 36:2089-92. 1998..The most common species detected were Staphylococcus epidermidis, Staphylococcus hominis, and Staphylococcus haemolyticus...
- Molecular cloning of a 32-kilodalton lipoprotein component of a novel iron-regulated Staphylococcus epidermidis ABC transporterA Cockayne
Institute of Infections and Immunity, University of Nottingham, Nottingham NG7 2UH, United Kingdom
Infect Immun 66:3767-74. 1998..epidermidis and S. aureus and of 40 kDa in Staphylococcus hominis. No reactivity was detected with Staphylococcus lugdunensis, Staphylococcus cohni, or Staphylococcus ..
- Transient bacteremia after removal of a bonded maxillary expansion applianceHakan Gurcan Gurel
Department of Orthodontics, Faculty of Dentistry, Selcuk University, Konya, Turkey
Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 135:190-3. 2009..The aim of this study was to investigate the presence of transient bacteremia after the removal of a modified bonded rapid maxillary expansion appliance...
- Microbiological and molecular characterization of human clinical isolates of Staphylococcus cohnii, Staphylococcus hominis, and Staphylococcus sciuriElvira Garza-Gonzalez
Departamento de Microbiologia, Facultad de Medicina, Universidad Autonoma de Nuevo Leon, Monterrey, Nuevo Leon, Mexico
Scand J Infect Dis 43:930-6. 2011..aim of this study was to characterize biofilm formation, antibiotic resistance, SCCmec type, and genetic relatedness in clinical isolates of Staphylococcus cohnii, Staphylococcus hominis, and Staphylococcus sciuri recovered from humans.
- The antibacterial activity of topical retinoids: the case of retinaldehydeM Pechere
Department of Dermatology, Geneva University Hospital, Geneva, Switzerland
Dermatology 205:153-8. 2002..Little attention has been given to the many other potential actions on the surface of the skin...
- Evaluation of mucosal and seborrheic sites for staphylococci in two populations of captive psittacinesJeleen A Briscoe
Department of Clinical Studies Philadelphia, School of Veterinary Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
J Am Vet Med Assoc 234:901-5. 2009..To survey 2 populations of psittacines to characterize Staphylococcus spp isolated from commensal cutaneous microflora...
- Exopolysaccharide production by lactose-hydrolyzing bacteria isolated from traditionally fermented milkRolene Bauer
Institute for Plant Biotechnology, Genetics Department, Stellenbosch University, Matieland 7602, Stellenbosh, South Africa
Int J Food Microbiol 131:260-4. 2009..EPS production was assigned for the first time to members of the species Staphylococcus hominis and Enterococcus lactis, and also to apparently novel species of the genera Sphingomonas and Acinetobacter...
- PCR evaluation of false-positive signals from two automated blood-culture systemsZ Ceren Karahan
Division of Paediatric Molecular Pathology and Genetics, Ankara University, School of Medicine, 06100 Cebeci, Ankara, Turkey
J Med Microbiol 55:53-7. 2006..bacteria (number of isolates in parentheses): Pasteurella multocida (1), Staphylococcus epidermidis (2), Staphylococcus hominis (1), Micrococcus sp. (1), Streptococcus pneumoniae (1), Corynebacterium spp. (2), Brachibacterium sp...
- Comparison of three phenotypic techniques for detection of methicillin resistance in Staphylococcus spp. reveals a species-dependent performanceMichael A John
London Health Sciences Centre, London, Ontario, Canada
J Antimicrob Chemother 63:493-6. 2009..To evaluate the usefulness of the cefoxitin screen in Vitek 2 Gram-positive panels for recognizing methicillin-resistant strains of staphylococci...
- Diversity of staphylococcal cassette chromosome mec structures in methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus epidermidis and Staphylococcus haemolyticus strains among outpatients from four countriesEtienne Ruppe
Laboratoire Associé CNR Résistance Dans les Flores Commensales, Hopital Bichat Claude Bernard, Paris, France
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 53:442-9. 2009..75 (78%) Staphylococcus epidermidis strains, 19 (20%) Staphylococcus haemolyticus strains, 1 (1%) Staphylococcus hominis strain, and 1 (1%) Staphylococcus cohnii strain, were analyzed...
- DNA fingerprinting of a multi-resistant coagulase-negative staphylococci isolated from biomaterials in dialysis servicesKamel Chaieb
Laboratoire de Bactériologie de l Hôpital Ibn El Jazzar de Kairouan, Tunisie
Arch Med Res 37:953-60. 2006..Coagulase-negative staphylococci (CoNS) have emerged as an important opportunistic pathogen isolated in hospital. Several species of CoNS have been implicated in human infections and disease especially in patients with poor health status...
- Staphylococcal and micrococcal adherence to canine and feline corneocytes: quantification using a simple adhesion assayYi Fang Lu
Division of Companion Animal Studies, Institute of Comparative Medicine, University of Glasgow Veterinary School, Bearsden, Glasgow G61 1QH, UK
Vet Dermatol 18:29-35. 2007..The numbers of adherent bacteria were, however, generally lower for feline corneocytes. Both Staphylococcus hominis and a Micrococcus species adhered poorly to canine and feline corneocytes...
- Alcohol increases hemolysis by staphylococciMoshe Korem
Department of Human Microbiology, Sackler School of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv, Israel
FEMS Microbiol Lett 269:153-9. 2007..species of staphylococci, including strains of Staphylococcus aureus, Staphylococcus epidermidis and Staphylococcus hominis. In order to study this novel phenomenon in S. aureus and S...
- Bacterial contamination of random-donor platelets in a university hospital in the midwestern region of BrazilGeraldo Cunha
Laboratory of Clinical Microbiology, Institute of Tropical Pathology and Public Health of Federal University of Goiás, Goias, Brazil
Transfusion 48:282-5. 2008..The aims of the study were to determine the prevalence of microbiologic contamination in random-donor platelets (RDPs) and to identify the isolated microorganism obtained from a Brazilian university hemotherapy service...
- Inhibitory effect of Gram-negative and Gram-positive microorganisms against Helicobacter pylori clinical isolatesManuel López-Brea
Department of Microbiology, Hospital Universitario de la Princesa, Diego de Leon 62, 28006 Madrid, Spain
J Antimicrob Chemother 61:139-42. 2008..To determine the in vitro inhibitory effect of several Gram-negative and Gram-positive microorganisms against Helicobacter pylori clinical isolates...
- Distribution of staphylococcal cassette chromosome mec (SCCmec) types I, II, III and IV in coagulase-negative staphylococci from patients attending a tertiary hospital in southern BrazilAlice Beatriz Mombach Pinheiro Machado
Unidade de Microbiologia e Biologia Molecular, Hospital de Clinicas de Porto Alegre, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, Porto Alegre 90 035 903, Brazil
J Med Microbiol 56:1328-33. 2007..epidermidis was the most common species, with 87 isolates, followed by Staphylococcus haemolyticus (15), Staphylococcus hominis (13), Staphylococcus capitis (12) and Staphylococcus sciuri (1)...
- Evolution of slime production by coagulase-negative staphylococci and enterotoxigenic characteristics of Staphylococcus aureus strains isolated from various human clinical specimensBanur Boynukara
Department of Microbiology, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Yuzuncu Yil, 65080 Van, Turkey
J Med Microbiol 56:1296-300. 2007..2 %) were identified as CoNS. Of the CoNS, 20 (16.7 %) were further identified as Staphylococcus hominis, 18 (15 %) as Staphylococcus epidermidis, six (5 %) as Staphylococcus xylosus, six (5 %) as Staphylococcus ..
- Antibiotic resistance patterns of coagulase-negative staphylococcus strains isolated from blood cultures of septicemic patients in TurkeyF Koksal
Department of Microbiology and Clinical Microbiology, Istanbul University Cerrahpasa Medical Faculty, 34098 Cerrahpasa, Istanbul, Turkey
Microbiol Res 164:404-10. 2009..epidermidis was the most prevalent species (87) followed by Staphylococcus haemolyticus (23), Staphylococcus hominis (19), Staphylococcus lugdunensis (18), Staphylococcus capitis (15), Staphylococcus xylosus (10), ..
- Changes in histamine and microbiological analyses in fresh and frozen tuna muscle during temperature abuseVagelis Economou
Food Microbiology Unit, Microbiology Department, Medical School, University of Ioannina, Ioannina, Greece
Food Addit Contam 24:820-32. 2007..isolated from the temperature-abused loins showed a varied ability of histamine production, with Morganella morganii, Klebsiella oxytoca, Staphylococcus hominis, and Enterococcus hirae being the most active histamine-producing bacteria.
- Widespread distribution of disinfectant resistance genes among staphylococci of bovine and caprine origin in NorwayJostein Bjorland
Department of Production Animal Clinical Sciences, Norwegian School of Veterinary Science, Oslo
J Clin Microbiol 43:4363-8. 2005..pST94-like) in Staphylococcus cohnii and Staphylococcus warneri, and qacJ (two isolates) was found in Staphylococcus hominis and Staphylococcus delphini on a plasmid (pNVH01) previously found in equine staphylococci...