Genomes and Genes
Summary: A plant genus of the family ORCHIDACEAE that is the source of the familiar flavoring used in foods and medicines (FLAVORING AGENTS).
Publications186 found, 100 shown here
- Determination of coumarin, vanillin, and ethyl vanillin in vanilla extract products: liquid chromatography mass spectrometry method development and validation studiesLowri S de Jager
Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition, US Food and Drug Administration, 5100 Paint Branch Parkway, College Park, MD, USA
J Chromatogr A 1145:83-8. 2007A LC-MS method was developed for the determination of coumarin, vanillin, and ethyl vanillin in vanilla products. Samples were analyzed using LC-electrospray ionization (ESI)-MS in the positive ionization mode...
- Localization of beta-D-glucosidase activity and glucovanillin in vanilla bean (Vanilla planifolia Andrews)E Odoux
Département FLHOR, Centre de Cooperation Internationale en Recherche Agronomique pour le Developpement, TA 50 16, 34398 Montpellier 5, France
Ann Bot 92:437-44. 2003The morphology, anatomy and histology of mature green vanilla beans were examined by light and transmission electron microscopy. Beans have a triangular cross-section with a central cavity containing seeds...
- Studies on the antioxidant activities of natural vanilla extract and its constituent compounds through in vitro modelsB N Shyamala
Plantation Products, Spices and Flavour Technology Department, Central Food Technological Research Institute, Mysore 570 020, India
J Agric Food Chem 55:7738-43. 2007b>Vanilla extract was prepared by extraction of cured vanilla beans with aqueous ethyl alcohol (60%). The extract was profiled by HPLC, wherein major compounds, viz...
- Inhibition of bacterial quorum sensing by vanilla extractJ H Choo
Department of Biotechnology, Yonsei University, Seoul, Republic of Korea
Lett Appl Microbiol 42:637-41. 2006..The purpose of this study was to search for a novel quorum sensing inhibitor and analyse its inhibitory activity...
- A comprehensive review on vanilla flavor: extraction, isolation and quantification of vanillin and others constituentsArun K Sinha
Natural Plant Products Division, Institute of Himalayan Bioresource Technology, Palampur, Himachal Pradesh, India
Int J Food Sci Nutr 59:299-326. 2008b>Vanilla, being the world's most popular flavoring materials, finds extensive applications in food, beverages, perfumery and pharmaceutical industry...
- Development and validation of an RP-HPLC method for quantitative determination of vanillin and related phenolic compounds in Vanilla planifoliaArun Kumar Sinha
Natural Plant Products Division, Institute of Himalayan Bioresource Technology, Palampur, Himachal Pradesh, India
J Sep Sci 30:15-20. 2007..and quantitative determination of vanillin and related phenolic compounds in ethanolic extract of pods of Vanilla planifolia...
- Evolution of novel O-methyltransferases from the Vanilla planifolia caffeic acid O-methyltransferaseHuaijun Michael Li
Department of Plant Biology and Pathology and The Biotechnology Center for Agriculture and the Environment, Cook College, Rutgers University, 59 Dudley Road, New Brunswick, NJ 08901, USA
Plant Mol Biol 61:537-52. 2006..Here, we report the characterization of two OMTs, Van OMT-2 and Van OMT-3, from the orchid Vanilla planifolia Andrews...
- Evidence of transoceanic dispersion of the genus Vanilla based on plastid DNA phylogenetic analysisAnthony Bouetard
CIRAD, UMR 53 Cirad Université de la Réunion PVBMT, Pole de protection des plantes, 7 chemin de l IRAT, 97410 Saint Pierre, La Reunion, France
Mol Phylogenet Evol 55:621-30. 2010The phylogeny and the biogeographical history of the genus Vanilla was investigated using four chloroplastic genes (psbB, psbC; psaB and rbcL), on 47 accessions of Vanilla chosen from the ex situ CIRAD collection maintained in Reunion ..
- Metabolic changes in different developmental stages of Vanilla planifolia podsTony Lionel Palama
UMR C53, Peuplements Végétaux et Bioagresseurs en Milieu Tropical, Université de LaRunion, 97715 Saint Denis Messag, Cedex 9, La Reunion, France
J Agric Food Chem 57:7651-8. 2009The metabolomic analysis of developing Vanilla planifolia green pods (between 3 and 8 months after pollination) was carried out by nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectroscopy and multivariate data analysis...
- Deconstructing the vanilla milkshake: the dominant effect of sucrose on self-administration of nutrient-flavor mixturesAmy M Naleid
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98108, USA
Appetite 50:128-38. 2008..Finally, addition of 3% vanilla flavoring did not change self-administration of 3% sucrose or 3% sucrose+1.4% oil solutions...
- Specific pretreatments reduce curing period of vanilla (Vanilla planifolia) beansR V Sreedhar
Plant Cell Biotechnology Department, Central Food Technological Research Institute, Mysore, India
J Agric Food Chem 55:2947-55. 2007With the aiming of reducing the curing period, effects of pretreatments on flavor formation in vanilla beans during accelerated curing at 38 degrees C for 40 days were studied...
- Evidence that Cymbidium mosaic virus (CymMV) isolates divide into two subgroups based on nucleotide diversity of coat protein and replicase genesM Moles
CIRAD, UMR CIRAD UR Peuplements Végétaux et Bioagresseurs en Milieu Tropical, Pole de protection des plantes, Saint Pierre, La Reunion, France
Arch Virol 152:705-15. 2007..Thirty CymMV sequences from vanilla isolates, obtained in this work by direct sequencing of RT-PCR products, were compared to the sequences from ..
- Rapid sample screening method for authenticity controlling vanilla flavors using a CE microchip approach with electrochemical detectionMónica Avila
Department of Analytical Chemistry and Chemical Engineering, University of Alcala, Madrid, Spain
Electrophoresis 28:4233-9. 2007Five vanilla-related flavors of food significance, vanillic alcohol (VOH), ethyl maltol (EMA), maltol (MAL), ethyl vanillin (EVA) and vanillin (VAN), were separated using CE microchips with electrochemical detection (CE-ED microchips)...
- Chemical investigation and authenticity of Indian vanilla beansT V John
Corporate Research and Development, International Flavors and Fragrances Inc, Union Beach, NJ 07735, USA
J Agric Food Chem 52:7644-50. 2004Representative and validated samples taken from a 500 acre vanilla (Vanilla planifolia Andrews) plantation in India have shown significant deviations in aromatic profile, especially the relative amounts of vanillin (high) and p-..
- RP-HPTLC densitometric determination and validation of vanillin and related phenolic compounds in accelerated solvent extract of Vanilla planifolia*Upendra Kumar Sharma
Natural Plant Products Division, Institute of Himalayan Bioresource Technology, Palampur, Himachal Pradesh, India
J Sep Sci 30:3174-80. 2007..for simultaneous quantitative determination of vanillin and related phenolic compounds in ethanolic extracts of Vanilla planifolia pods...
- Characterization of a multifunctional methyltransferase from the orchid Vanilla planifoliaF E Pak
Department of Plant Biology and Pathology, Rutgers University, 59 Dudley Road, New Brunswick, NJ 08901, USA
Plant Cell Rep 22:959-66. 2004..We have isolated and functionally characterized a cDNA that encodes a multifunctional methyltransferase from Vanilla planifolia tissue cultures that can catalyze the conversion of 3,4-dihydroxybenzaldehyde to vanillin, although 3,..
- Effects of fragrance on emotions: moods and physiologyStephen Warrenburg
International Flavors and Fragrances Inc, 1515 Rt 36, Union Beach, NJ 07735, USA
Chem Senses 30:i248-9. 2005
- Effects of PCB exposure on the toxic impact of organophosphorus insecticidesRussell L Carr
Center for Environmental Health Sciences, College of Veterinary Medicine, Mississippi State University, Mississippi State, MS 39762 6100, USA
Toxicol Sci 67:311-21. 2002..Female rats were fed vanilla wafers containing either 4 mg/kg/day of Aroclor 1254 (PCB-treated) or safflower oil (oil-treated) for 50 days...
- Risk assessment of combined photogenotoxic effects of sunlight and food additivesFadhil M Salih
Department of Clinical and Biomedical Physics, College of Medicine and Health Sciences, Sultan Qaboos University, P O Box 35, Al Khod 123, Sultanate of Oman
Sci Total Environ 362:68-73. 2006The presence of flavored colorants (peach and raspberry), flavors (caramel, citric acid and vanilla) and food preservatives (sodium nitrite, sodium nitrate, sodium benzoate, benzoic acid, potassium sorbate and sodium chloride) in ..
- Inhibition of fungal growth on bread by volatile components from spices and herbs, and the possible application in active packaging, with special emphasis on mustard essential oilP V Nielsen
Department of Biotechnology, Technical University of Denmark
Int J Food Microbiol 60:219-29. 2000..Cinnamon, garlic and clove also had high activity, while oregano oleoresin only inhibited growth weakly. Vanilla showed no inhibitory effect towards the tested microorganisms at the applied concentrations. A...
- Effect of mixed antimicrobial agents and flavors in active packaging filmsLaura Gutierrez
Aragon Institute of Engineering Research I3A, CPS, University of Zaragoza, Maria de Luna 3, 50018 Zaragoza, Spain
J Agric Food Chem 57:8564-71. 2009..get the antimicrobial properties, the organoleptic compatibility with typical aroma present in many food systems (vanilla, banana, and strawberry), and the right combination of both systems has been carried out...
- The role of alpha-amylase in the perception of oral texture and flavour in custardsRene A de Wijk
Wageningen Centre for Food Sciences, PO Box 557, 6700 AN Wageningen, The
Physiol Behav 83:81-91. 2004..For starch-based vanilla custard desserts, amylase resulted in increased melting and decreased thickness sensations, whereas acarbose had ..
- Patterns of introduction and diversification of Vanilla planifolia (Orchidaceae) in Reunion Island (Indian Ocean)Séverine Bory
CIRAD, UMR PVBMT Cirad Universite de La Reunion, Pole de protection des plantes, 7 chemin de l IRAT 97410 Saint Pierre, La Reunion, France
Am J Bot 95:805-15. 2008The cultivated species Vanilla planifolia is a typical example of a crop introduced from its area of origin (America) to new regions where natural pollinators are absent...
- How closely do the delta(13)C values of Crassulacean Acid metabolism plants reflect the proportion of CO(2) fixed during day and night?Klaus Winter
Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute, Balboa, Ancon, Panama
Plant Physiol 129:1843-51. 2002..species (Aloe vera, Hylocereus monocanthus, Kalanchoe beharensis, Kalanchoe daigremontiana, Kalanchoe pinnata, Vanilla pauciflora, and Xerosicyos danguyi) and two C(3) species (teak [Tectona grandis] and Clusia sp...
- Novel germline SDHD mutation: diagnosis and implications to the patientJeena Varghese
Departments of Endocrine Neoplasia and Hormonal Disorders, Unit 1461, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, 1515 Holcombe Blvd, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Fam Cancer 10:365-71. 2011..The patient had symptoms of catecholamine excess exacerbated by vanilla ice-cream consumption. Biochemical testing revealed elevated plasma-free metanephrines and chromogranin A levels...
- Effect of storage temperature on quality of light and full-fat ice creamJ R Buyck
Dairy Science Department, South Dakota State University, Brookings 57007 0647, USA
J Dairy Sci 94:2213-9. 2011..objective of this research was to evaluate the effect of 4 storage temperatures on the quality of commercial vanilla-flavored light and full-fat ice cream. Storage temperatures used were -45.6, -26.1, and -23...
- Experience-dependent neural integration of taste and smell in the human brainDana M Small
Cognitive Neurology and Alzheimer s Disease Center, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, IL 60611 3008, USA
J Neurophysiol 92:1892-903. 2004..There were 2 flavors. One contained a familiar/congruent taste-odor pair (vanilla/sweet) and the other an unfamiliar/incongruent taste-odor pair (vanilla/salty)...
- Sensory properties of meal replacement bars and beverages made from whey and soy proteinsJ L Childs
Department of Food Science, North Carolina State University, Box 7624, Raleigh, NC 27695, USA
J Food Sci 72:S425-34. 2007..Commercial peanut butter-flavored meal replacement bars and vanilla meal replacement shakes were evaluated by an experienced, trained descriptive panel (n= 9)...
- Editing of accD and ndhF chloroplast transcripts is partially affected in the Arabidopsis vanilla cream1 mutantChing Chih Tseng
Institute of Plant and Microbial Biology, Academia Sinica, Taipei, Taiwan
Plant Mol Biol 73:309-23. 2010The vanilla cream1 (vac1) albino mutant is defective in a gene encoding a chloroplast-localized pentatricopeptide repeat protein of the DYW subgroup. However, the carboxyl-terminal DYW motif is truncated in VAC1...
- The erosive effect of herbal tea on dental enamelP A Brunton
Unit of Operative Dentistry and Endodontology, University Dental Hospital of Manchester, Higher Cambridge Street, M15 6FH, Manchester, UK
J Dent 29:517-20. 2001..A further aim was to investigate whether herbal tea of the type tested eroded dental hard tissues to a greater or lesser extent than conventional black tea...
- Properties of frozen dairy desserts processed by microfluidization of their mixesD W Olson
Department of Food Science and Technology, Box 9805, Mississippi State University, Mississippi State 39762, USA
J Dairy Sci 86:1157-62. 2003Sensory properties and rate of meltdown of nonfat (0% fat) and low-fat (2% fat) vanilla ice creams processed either by conventional valve homogenization or microfluidization of their mixes were compared with each other and to ice cream (..
- Neotropical roots of a Polynesian spice: the hybrid origin of Tahitian vanilla, Vanilla tahitensis (Orchidaceae)Pesach Lubinsky
Department of Botany and Plant Sciences, University of California, Riverside, California 92521 0124 USA
Am J Bot 95:1040-7. 2008Absent in the wild, Tahitian vanilla (V. tahitensis) is a gourmet spice restricted in distribution to cultivated and feral stands in French Polynesia and Papua New Guinea. Its origins have been elusive...
- Evaluation of VIDAS Listeria species Xpress (LSX) immunoassay method for the detection of Listeria species in foods: collaborative studyRonald L Johnson
bioMerieux, Inc, 595 Anglum Rd, Hazelwood, MO 63042 2320, USA
J AOAC Int 94:159-71. 2011..Six food types were tested: vanilla ice cream, cheddar cheese, raw ground beef, frozen green beans, deli turkey, and cooked shrimp...
- Morphine sensitization as a model of mania: comparative study of the effects of repeated lithium or carbamazepine administrationSilvia Grappi
Department of Neuroscience, University of Siena, via Moro, 4, 53100 Siena, Italy
Pharmacol Biochem Behav 99:749-58. 2011..carbamazepine treatment affected the dopaminergic and behavioral responses to a natural reward, a palatable food (vanilla sugar, VS), in non food-deprived sensitized and control rats and compare these possible effects with those of ..
- Acceptance of baits for delivery of oral rabies vaccine to raccoonsR C Rosatte
Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources, Wildlife Research and Development Section, Rabies Research and Development Unit, Trent University, Science Complex, P O Box 4840, Peterborough, Ontario K9J 8N8, Canada
J Wildl Dis 37:730-9. 2001..Extensive field testing revealed that raccoon acceptance of Sugar-Vanilla baits (SV) at densities of 200/km2 and 400/km2, hand-placed in urban habitats of Scarborough (Ontario) during ..
- Colloidal aspects of texture perceptionTon van Vliet
TI Food and Nutrition former WCFS P O Box 557, 6700 AN Wageningen, The Netherlands
Adv Colloid Interface Sci 150:27-40. 2009..g. sourness and vanilla)...
- Positron tomographic emission study of olfactory induced emotional recall in veterans with and without combat-related posttraumatic stress disorderEric Vermetten
University Medical Center, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Psychopharmacol Bull 40:8-30. 2007..Primitive brain systems involved in fear responsivity and survival also mediate smell, including the olfactory cortex and amygdala. The purpose of this study was to measure neural correlates of olfaction in PTSD...
- Listeria monocytogenes attachment to and detachment from stainless steel surfaces in a simulated dairy processing environmentSofia Poimenidou
Laboratory of Food Quality Control and Hygiene, Department of Food Science and Technology, Agricultural University of Athens, Athens 11855, Greece
Appl Environ Microbiol 75:7182-8. 2009..Initially, SS coupons were immersed in milk, vanilla custard, and yogurt inoculated with the pathogen (10(7) CFU/ml or CFU/g) and incubated at two temperatures (5 and ..
- Outbreak of staphylococcal food intoxication after consumption of pasteurized milk products, June 2007, AustriaDaniela Schmid
Austrian Agency for Health and Food Safety, Vienna, Austria
Wien Klin Wochenschr 121:125-31. 2009..2%) at the 10 institutions fulfilled the case definition. Consumption of milk, cacao milk or vanilla milk originating from dairy X was associated with a 37.8 times higher risk of becoming a case (95% CI: 2.3-116.5)...
- Flavour-specific anticipatory hunger reinforced by either carbohydrate or proteinLouise Thibault
School of Dietetics and Human Nutrition, Macdonald Campus of McGill University, 21111 Lakeshore Road, Ste Anne de Bellevue, QC, Canada H9X 3V9
Physiol Behav 88:201-10. 2006..other study tested if this finding extended to experimental meals that combined carbohydrate and protein, and had vanilla or chicken flavours, to fasts of 4 and 12 h and to male rats as well as females within a training period of 6 ..
- Dynamic modeling of Listeria monocytogenes growth in pasteurized vanilla cream after postprocessing contaminationEfstathios Z Panagou
Laboratory of Microbiology and Biotechnology of Foods, Department of Food Science and Technology, Agricultural University of Athens, Iera Odos 75, Athens 118 55, Greece
J Food Prot 71:1828-34. 2008..validated under dynamic temperature conditions for predicting the growth of Listeria monocytogenes in pasteurized vanilla cream, a traditional milk-based product...
- Total synthesis and absolute configuration of the marine norditerpenoid xestenoneKoichiro Ota
School of Pharmacy, Tokyo University of Pharmacy and Life Sciences, 1432 1 Horinouchi, Hachioji, Tokyo, Japan
Mar Drugs 7:654-71. 2009Xestenone is a marine norditerpenoid found in the northeastern Pacific sponge Xestospongia vanilla. The relative configuration of C-3 and C-7 in xestenone was determined by NOESY spectral analysis...
- Biological variation of Vanilla planifolia leaf metabolomeTony Lionel Palama
UMR C53 Peuplements Végétaux et Bioagresseurs en Milieu Tropical, Faculté des Sciences et Technologies, Universite de la Reunion, La Reunion, France
Phytochemistry 71:567-73. 2010The metabolomic analysis of Vanilla planifolia leaves collected at different developmental stages was carried out using (1)H-nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectroscopy and multivariate data analysis in order to evaluate their ..
- Low-dose irradiation as a measure to improve microbial quality of ice creamA Kamat
Food Technology Division, Bhabha Atomic Research Centre, Mumbai, India
Int J Food Microbiol 62:27-35. 2000..Initially three different flavors (vanilla, strawberry and chocolate) of ice cream were exposed, at -72 degrees C, to doses of 1, 2, 5, 10 and 30 kGy to ..
- Potential mechanisms of retronasal odor referral to the mouthJuyun Lim
Department of Food Science and Technology, 100 Wiegand Hall, Oregon State University, Corvallis, OR 97330, USA
Chem Senses 36:283-9. 2011..The results indicated that when perceived alone, vanilla and soy sauce odor were localized 54.7%: 26.4%: 18.9% and 60.0%: 21.7%: 18...
- The effect of chewing gum flavor on the negative affect associated with tobacco abstinence among dependent cigarette smokersLee M Cohen
Texas Tech University, United States
Addict Behav 35:955-60. 2010..Forty-nine smokers participated in three experimental conditions (peppermint, vanilla, and baked apple cardamom flavored gum) as well as a No Gum Control across four weeks while abstaining from ..
- Effects of the 5-HT(6) receptor agonist ST 1936 on depression- and anhedonia-like experimental modelsSimona Scheggi
Department of Neuroscience, University of Siena, Via Moro 4, 53100 Siena, Italy
Behav Brain Res 224:35-43. 2011..an anhedonia-like condition based on the disruptive effect of stress on the competence to acquire an instrumental vanilla sugar-sustained appetitive behavior (VAB)...
- Prediction of children's flavour preferences. Effect of age and stability in reported preferencesDjin Gie Liem
Deakin University, Burwood, Vic, Australia
Appetite 55:69-75. 2010..carried out a preference ranking task for five ice-cream flavours: mint, coffee, chocolate and two variants of vanilla. Without input from their child, mothers ranked four of these flavours according to their own understanding of ..
- Variety enhances food intake in humans: role of sensory-specific satietyL Brondel
Centre Européen des Sciences du Goût, UMR CNRS 5170, Dijon, France
Physiol Behav 97:44-51. 2009..fries then brownies were consumed alone; "simultaneous" - condiments (ketchup and mayonnaise for the fries, vanilla cream and whipped cream for the brownies) were added during intakes; "successive" - after intake of fries alone, ..
- Relating particles and texture perceptionLina Engelen
Wageningen Centre for Food Sciences, The Netherlands
Physiol Behav 86:111-7. 2005..present study we investigated the effect of size and type (hardness and shape) of particles added to a CMC based vanilla custard dessert...
- Characterization of odor-active compounds in Californian chardonnay wines using GC-olfactometry and GC-mass spectrometrySeung Joo Lee
Department of Viticulture and Enology, University of California, Davis, California 95616, USA
J Agric Food Chem 51:8036-44. 2003..high in peach, citrus, and floral terms were separated from those high in oak-related sensory attributes (oak, vanilla, caramel, spice, and butter)...
- Decrease of 4-vinylguaiacol during beer aging and formation of apocynol and vanillin in beerNele Vanbeneden
Centre for Malting and Brewing Science, Department of Microbial and Molecular SystemsFood and Microbial Technology, K U Leuven, Kasteelpark Arenberg 22, B 3001 Leuven, Belgium
J Agric Food Chem 56:11983-8. 2008..Because both apocynol and vanillin have a clear vanilla-like aroma, the decrease of 4-vinylguaiacol during beer aging might impart a shift from a clove-like aroma in ..
- Use of flavored drinking water in calves and lactating dairy cattleL C Thomas
Department of Animal and Poultry Science, University of Guelph, Guelph, Ontario, Canada N1G 2W1
J Dairy Sci 90:3831-7. 2007..were used in a replicated 3 x 3 Latin square design, and water offered was unflavored or flavored with orange or vanilla. All calves were offered commercial starter...
- Characterization of the most odor-active compounds in an American Bourbon whisky by application of the aroma extract dilution analysisLuigi Poisson
Deutsche Forschungsanstalt fur Lebensmittelchemie, Lichtenbergstrasse 4, D 85748 Garching, Germany
J Agric Food Chem 56:5813-9. 2008..eugenol), and 4-hydroxy-3-methoxy-benzaldehyde (vanillin) additionally contributed to the overall vanilla-like, fruity, and smoky aroma note of the spirit...
- Cerebral hemodynamic response to unpleasant odors in the preterm newborn measured by near-infrared spectroscopyM Bartocci
Department of Paediatrics, Neonatal Intensive Care, University of Genoa, Gaslini Institute, Genoa, Italy
Pediatr Res 50:324-30. 2001..was different from that observed in our previous study after exposure to colostrum and the pleasant smell of vanilla, which elicited an increase in blood oxygenation in the same region...
- Anterior electroencephalographic asymmetry changes in elderly women in response to a pleasant and an unpleasant odorJ P Kline
Department of Psychology, Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL 32306 1051, USA
Biol Psychol 52:241-50. 2000..The present study examined changes in anterior alpha asymmetries in response to pleasant (vanilla), unpleasant (valerian), and neutral (water) odors...
- Characterisation of free and glycosidically bound odourant compounds of Aragonez clonal musts by GC-OGoreti Botelho
INIA Dois Portos, INRB, I P, Quinta da Almoinha, 2565 191 Dois Portos, Portugal
Anal Chim Acta 657:198-203. 2010..Furaneol (burnt sugar, candy-cotton) and vanillin (vanilla, sweet) were identified in both free and bound fractions of Aragonez musts, indicating their grape-derived origin...
- Animal models for the study of antidepressant activityC Gambarana
Department of Neuroscience, University of Siena, Via Aldo Moro 4, 53100, Siena, Italy
Brain Res Brain Res Protoc 7:11-20. 2001..stress prevents the acquisition of an appetitive behavior induced and maintained by a highly palatable food (vanilla sugar) in rats fed ad libitum; this paradigm assesses the efficacy of a treatment to restore an animal's ..
- Effect of color on expected and experienced refreshment, intensity, and liking of beveragesDebra A Zellner
Department of Psychology, Montclair State University, Upper Montclair, NJ 07043, USA
Am J Psychol 116:633-47. 2003The effect of color on the expected and experienced refreshment, intensity, and liking of lemon, mint, and vanilla beverages was studied...
- The mesolimbic dopaminergic response to novel palatable food consumption increases dopamine-D1 receptor-mediated signalling with complex modifications of the DARPP-32 phosphorylation patternRiccardo Rauggi
Department of Neuroscience, Pharmacology Unit, University of Siena, Siena, Italy
J Neurochem 92:867-77. 2005..We examined the DARPP-32 phosphorylation pattern in food non-deprived rats at different times after vanilla sugar consumption...
- Acquisition of a palatable-food-sustained appetitive behavior in satiated rats is dependent on the dopaminergic response to this food in limbic areasC Gambarana
Department of Neuroscience, University of Siena, Via Aldo Moro 4, 53100 Siena, Italy
Neuroscience 121:179-87. 2003..unavoidable stress show decreased dopamine output in the nucleus accumbens shell (NAcS) and do not acquire vanilla sugar (VS)-sustained appetitive behavior (VAB)...
- Genetic fidelity of long-term micropropagated shoot cultures of vanilla (Vanilla planifolia Andrews) as assessed by molecular markersReddampalli V Sreedhar
Plant Cell Biotechnology Department, Central Food Technological Research Institute, Mysore, India
Biotechnol J 2:1007-13. 2007..Therefore, the micropropagated multiple shoots of Vanilla planifolia Andrews developed from axillary bud explants established 10 years ago were used to determine ..
- Floral biology of two Vanilloideae (Orchidaceae) primarily adapted to pollination by euglossine beesE R Pansarin
Departamento de Biologia, Faculdade de Filosofia, Ciências e Letras, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Ribeirao Preto, Brazil
Plant Biol (Stuttg) 16:1104-13. 2014Vanilloideae comprises 15 genera distributed worldwide, among which are Vanilla and Epistephium (tribe Vanilleae). Based on field and laboratory investigations, the pollination biology of V. dubia and E. sclerophyllum was analysed...
- Inhibitory effect of aroma on the bitterness of branched-chain amino acid solutionsJunji Mukai
School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Mukogawa Women s University, Nishinomiya, Japan
Chem Pharm Bull (Tokyo) 55:1581-4. 2007..87, while those of BCAA solutions containing green-tea, coffee, apple, vanilla, or strawberry aromas were 2.02, 1.98, 2.35, 2.40 and 2.87, respectively, when evaluated by the probit method...
- Characterization of connexin30.3-deficient mice suggests a possible role of connexin30.3 in olfactionQingyi Zheng-Fischhöfer
Institut fur Genetik, Abteilung Molekulargenetik, Römerstrassae 164, D 53117 Bonn, Germany
Eur J Cell Biol 86:683-700. 2007..Furthermore, they showed normal auditory thresholds as measured by brain stem evoked potentials. These mice did, however, exhibit reduced behavioural responses to a vanilla scent.
- The elusive rat model of conditioned placebo analgesiaChristopher T McNabb
Department of Psychology, University of Texas at Arlington, Arlington, TX, USA
Pain 155:2022-32. 2014..stimulus) was associated with the following cues (conditioned stimuli): novel testing room (environmental), vanilla scent cue (olfactory), dim incandescent lighting (visual), restraint procedure/injection (tactile), and time of ..
- A test to identify judgement bias in miceHetty Boleij
Department of Animals in Science and Society, Division of Animal Welfare and Laboratory Animal Science, Utrecht University, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Behav Brain Res 233:45-54. 2012..Mice were trained with two distinct odour cues (vanilla or apple) predicting either a palatable or an unpalatable almond piece...
- Combined inoculation of Pseudomonas fluorescens and Trichoderma harzianum for enhancing plant growth of vanilla (Vanilla planifolia)A R Sandheep
School of Biosciences, Mahatma Gandhi University, Priyadarshini Hills P O Kottayam, Kerala 686560, India
Pak J Biol Sci 16:580-4. 2013..study was conducted to evaluate the plant growth promoting efficiency of combined inoculation of rhizobacteria on Vanilla plants. Based on the in vitro performance of indigenous Trichoderma spp. and Pseudomonas spp...
- Redundancy-aware topic modeling for patient record notesRaphael Cohen
Department of Computer Science, Ben Gurion University, Beer Sheva, Israel
PLoS ONE 9:e87555. 2014..and our novel redundancy-aware topic modeling method: given a large collection of patient records, (i) apply vanilla LDA to all documents in all input records; (ii) identify and remove all redundancy by chosing a single ..
- Genome sequence of vanilla distortion mosaic virus infecting Coriandrum sativumI P Adams
The Crop Protection Centre, The Food and Environment Research Agency, Sand Hutton, York, YO41 1LZ, UK
Arch Virol 159:3463-5. 2014..On analysis, this virus was shown to have greater than 85 % nucleotide sequence identity to vanilla distortion mosaic virus (VDMV)...
- Molecular approaches toward targeted cancer prevention with some food plants and their products: inflammatory and other signal pathwaysAnisur Rahman Khuda-Bukhsh
a Cytogenetics and Molecular Biology Laboratory, Department of Zoology, University of Kalyani, Kalyani, India
Nutr Cancer 66:194-205. 2014..sulphoraphane (mustard), ellagic acid (pomegranate), myrecitin (cranberry), carnosol (rosemary), vanillin (vanilla) and eugenol (cloves)...
- Quantitative fingerprinting by headspace--two-dimensional comprehensive gas chromatography-mass spectrometry of solid matrices: some challenging aspects of the exhaustive assessment of food volatilesLuca Nicolotti
Dipartimento di Scienza e Tecnologia del Farmaco, Universita di Torino, via P Giuria 9, I 10125 Torino, Italy
Anal Chim Acta 798:115-25. 2013..out on roasted hazelnuts and on Gianduja pastes (sugar, vegetable oil, hazelnuts, cocoa, nonfat dried milk, vanilla flavorings) and demonstrated that the information potential of each analysis can better be exploited if suitable ..
- Impact of flavour solvent (propylene glycol or triacetin) on vanillin, 5-(hydroxymethyl)furfural, 2,4-decadienal, 2,4-heptadienal, structural parameters and sensory perception of shortcake biscuits over accelerated shelf life testingNi Yang
Division of Food Sciences, University of Nottingham, Sutton Bonington Campus, Loughborough, Leicestershire LE12 5RD, UK
Food Chem 141:1354-60. 2013..There was no impact of solvent choice on hardness. Sensory evaluation of hardness, vanilla flavour and oily off-note was tested during ASL testing...
- Impact of valence and age on olfactory induced brain activation in healthy womenMartina Reske
Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, RWTH Aachen University, Forschungszentrum Juelich, 52425 Juelich, Germany
Behav Neurosci 124:414-22. 2010..during passive smelling of one negative odor (rotten yeast) and two control conditions presenting a neutral odor (vanilla) and odorless ambient air...
- A preclinical and clinical review of aflibercept for the management of cancerAndrew Gaya
Guy s and St Thomas Hospital, NHS Foundation Trust, Westminster Bridge Road, London SE1 7EH, United Kingdom
Cancer Treat Rev 38:484-93. 2012..A full report awaits publication. The Phase III VANILLA trial in metastatic pancreatic cancer [NCT00574275] showed no improvement in overall survival...
- Evaluation of VIDAS Salmonella (SLM) easy Salmonella method for the detection of Salmonella in a variety of foods: collaborative studyErin Crowley
Q Laboratories, Inc, 1400 Harrison Ave, Cincinnati, OH 45214, USA
J AOAC Int 94:1821-34. 2011..and Drug Administration's Bacteriological Analytical Manual, Chapter 5 method for five food matrixes (liquid egg, vanilla ice cream, spinach, raw shrimp, and peanut butter) and the U.S...
- Optimization of enzymatic process for vanillin extraction using response surface methodologyFenglin Gu
Spice and Beverage Research Institute, CATAS, Wanning, Hainan 571533, China
Molecules 17:8753-61. 2012Vanillin was extracted from vanilla beans using pretreatment with cellulase to produce enzymatic hydrolysis, and response surface methodology (RSM) was applied to optimize the processing parameters of this extraction...
- Comparative analysis of volatiles in traditionally cured Bourbon and Ugandan vanilla bean ( Vanilla planifolia ) extractsSuying Zhang
Firmenich Inc, P O Box 5880, Princeton, New Jersey 08543, USA
J Agric Food Chem 60:10433-44. 2012Traditionally cured vanilla beans ( Vanilla planifolia ) from Madagascar and Uganda were extracted with organic solvents, and the volatiles were separated from the nonvolatile fraction using the solvent assisted flavor evaporation (SAFE) ..
- Impedance study of tea with added taste compounds using conducting polymer and metal electrodesMopsy Dhiman
Central Scientific Instruments Organization, CSIR, Chandigarh 160020, India
J Nanosci Nanotechnol 12:7081-6. 2012..black tea liquor + sweetened cardamom syrup), (black tea liquor + sweet chocolate syrup) and (black tea liquor + vanilla flavoured milk without sugar) using six different working electrodes in a multi electrode setup has been studied ..
- Occurrence of Bacillus amyloliquefaciens as a systemic endophyte of vanilla orchidsJames F White
Department of Plant Biology and Pathology, Rutgers University, New Brunswick, New Jersey
Microsc Res Tech 77:874-85. 2014We report the occurrence of Bacillus amyloliquefaciens in vanilla orchids (Vanilla phaeantha) and cultivated hybrid vanilla (V. planifolia × V. pompona) as a systemic bacterial endophyte...
- Natural polyploidy in Vanilla planifolia (Orchidaceae)Séverine Bory
CIRAD, UMR PVBMT Cirad Universite de La Reunion, Pole de protection des plantes, 7 chemin de l IRAT, 97410 Saint Pierre, La Reunion, France
Genome 51:816-26. 2008b>Vanilla planifolia accessions cultivated in Reunion Island display important phenotypic variation, but little genetic diversity is demonstrated by AFLP and SSR markers...
- An in vitro investigation of the erosive potential of smoothiesS M Blacker
The Dental School and Hospital, Park Place, Dundee, DD1 4HN
Br Dent J 214:E9. 2013..Recent health promotion campaigns have encouraged the public to consume at least five portions of fruit and vegetables per day. Many see consuming fruit smoothies as a way of achieving this...
- Mycorrhizal fungi of Vanilla: diversity, specificity and effects on seed germination and plant growthAndrea Porras-Alfaro
Departamento de Biologia, Universidad de Puerto Rico Rio Piedras, PO Box 23360, San Juan, Puerto Rico 00931
Mycologia 99:510-25. 2007..Here we study diversity, specificity and function of mycorrhizal fungi in Vanilla, a pantropical genus that is both terrestrial and epiphytic...
- Simultaneous analysis of guaiacol and vanillin in a vanilla extract by using high-performance liquid chromatography with electrochemical detectionMakoto Takahashi
Technical Research Institute, R and D Center, T Hasegawa Co, Ltd, Kawasaki, Kanagawa, Japan
Biosci Biotechnol Biochem 77:595-600. 2013..liquid chromatographic analysis for electrochemically detecting guaiacol and vanillin as important components in vanilla extract...
- Quantitative and qualitative variation of fat in model vanilla custard desserts: effects on sensory properties and consumer acceptanceMaja Tomaschunas
Dept of Nutrition and Home Economics, Faculty of Life Sciences, Hamburg Univ of Applied Sciences HAW, Lohbruegger Kirchstrasse 65, 21033, Hamburg, Germany
J Food Sci 78:S894-901. 2013..of milk, dairy cream, or vegetable fat cream, on sensory characteristics and consumer acceptance of starch-based vanilla model custards were studied...
- Shoot differentiation from protocorm callus cultures of Vanilla planifolia (Orchidaceae): proteomic and metabolic responses at early stageTony L Palama
UMR Peuplement végétaux et Bioagresseurs en Milieu Tropical Faculté des Sciences et Technologies, Universite de la Reunion, 15 Avenue Rene Cassin, Saint Denis, La Reunion, France
BMC Plant Biol 10:82. 2010b>Vanilla planifolia is an important Orchid commercially cultivated for the production of natural vanilla flavour. Vanilla plants are conventionally propagated by stem cuttings and thus causing injury to the mother plants...
- Effects of long-term acetyl-L-carnitine administration in rats--II: Protection against the disrupting effect of stress on the acquisition of appetitive behaviorFlavio Masi
Department of Neuroscience, Pharmacology Unit, University of Siena, Italy
Neuropsychopharmacology 28:683-93. 2003..in the nucleus accumbens shell (NAcS) and do not acquire an appetitive behavior sustained by the earning of vanilla sugar (VS) made contingent on the choice of one of the two divergent arms of a Y-maze (VS-sustained appetitive ..
- Aroma production by tissue culturesG Hrazdina
Department of Food Science and Technology, Cornell University, New York State Agriculture Experiment Station, Geneva, New York 14456, USA
J Agric Food Chem 54:1116-23. 2006..In this paper the results of experiments for the use of tissue cultures in the production of vanilla, raspberry, strawberry garlic, and onion aromas is discussed.
- Liking and exposure: first, second and tenth time aroundMichael Bom Frøst
Department of Food Science, Centre for Advanced Food Studies LMC, The Royal Veterinary and Agricultural University KVL, Rolighedsvej 30, DK 1958 Frederiksberg C, Denmark
Physiol Behav 89:47-52. 2006..5 years, S.D.=6.7 years) performed hedonic rating of 9 different stimuli (vanilla-flavored yogurts), all of which were different in sensory properties...
- Rats can track odors, other rats, and themselves: implications for the study of spatial behaviorDouglas G Wallace
Department of Psychology and Neuroscience, University of Lethbridge, 4401 University Drive, Alberta, T1K 3M4, Lethbridge, Canada
Behav Brain Res 131:185-92. 2002..strings scented with either the rat's own odor (Group Own), a conspecific's odor (Group Other), or another scent, vanilla (Group Vanilla)...
- Time course of protein synthesis-dependent phase of olfactory memory in the cricket Gryllus bimaculatusYukihisa Matsumoto
Research Institute for Electronic Science, Hokkaido University, Sapporo, Japan
Zoolog Sci 20:409-16. 2003..Crickets were trained to associate peppermint odor with water (reward) and vanilla odor with saline solution (non-reward) and were injected with CHX before or at different times after training...
- Spatial alternation deficits following developmental exposure to Aroclor 1254 and/or methylmercury in ratsJohn J Widholm
Department of Psychology, College of Charleston, Charleston, South Carolina 29424, USA
Toxicol Sci 82:577-89. 2004..Pregnant Long-Evans rats received either 6 mg/kg A1254 pipetted onto a Keebler Vanilla Wafer cookie (PCB-only group), 0.5 ppm. MeHg dissolved in the drinking water (MeHg-only group), 6 mg/kg A1254 + 0...
- Enzymatic extraction and transformation of glucovanillin to vanillin from vanilla green podsF Ruiz-Teran
Departamento de Alimentos y Biotecnologia, Ed E, Facultad de Quimica, UNAM, CP 04510 México D F, Mexico
J Agric Food Chem 49:5207-9. 2001..1-1.8 g of vanillin/100 g of dry pods. It is concluded that the enzymatic reaction may substitute the microbial process involved in tissue fermentation previous to vanillin extraction with the simultaneous hydrolysis of glucovanillin...
- Purification and characterization of vanilla bean (Vanilla planifolia Andrews) beta-D-glucosidaseEric Odoux
Département FLHOR, Centre de Cooperation Internationale en Recherche Agronomique pour le Developpement CIRAD, TA50 16, 34398 Montpellier Cedex 5, France
J Agric Food Chem 51:3168-73. 2003b>Vanilla bean beta-D-glucosidase was purified to apparent homogeneity by successive anion exchange, hydrophobic interaction, and size-exclusion chromatography. The enzyme is a tetramer (201 kDa) made up of four identical subunits (50 kDa)...
- The potential application of vanillin in preventing yeast spoilage of soft drinks and fruit juicesDaniel J Fitzgerald
Food Safety Science Division, Institute of Food Research, Norwich Research Park, Colney Lane, Norwich, Norfolk NR4 7UA, UK
J Food Prot 67:391-5. 2004The preservative effect of vanillin, the major constituent of vanilla beans, was studied in an apple juice and peach-flavored soft drink...
- Temporal determinants of long-term retention of olfactory memory in the cricket Gryllus bimaculatusYukihisa Matsumoto
Research Institute for Electronic Science, Hokkaido University, Sapporo 060 0812, Japan
J Exp Biol 205:1429-37. 2002..In appetitive conditioning, peppermint odour was paired with a water reward. In aversive conditioning, vanilla odour was paired with saline solution...
- Pressurized liquid extraction of lipids for the determination of oxysterols in egg-containing foodE Boselli
Dipartimento di Scienze degli Alimenti, Universita di Bologna, Italy
J Chromatogr A 917:239-44. 2001..Samples of spray-dried whole egg, an Italian vanilla cake (Pandoro) and egg noodles were used...
- Leptomeningeal tumor: the "plain vanilla" approach remains the bestGordon Sze
AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 23:745-6. 2002
- Classical olfactory conditioning in the cockroach Periplaneta americanaHidehiro Watanabe
Graduate School of Life Sciences, Tohoku University, Sendai, Japan
Zoolog Sci 20:1447-54. 2003..underwent differential conditioning trials in which peppermint odor was associated with sucrose solution and vanilla odor was associated with saline solution...
- Pavlovian aversive and appetitive odor conditioning in humans: subjective, peripheral, and electrocortical changesC Hermann
Department of Psychology, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany
Exp Brain Res 132:203-15. 2000..The appetitive conditioning group (n=15) received a pleasant odor (vanilla), the aversive conditioning group (n=15) an unpleasant odor (fermented yeast) as unconditioned stimulus...
- On the value of nuclear and mitochondrial gene sequences for reconstructing the phylogeny of vanilloid orchids (Vanilloideae, Orchidaceae)Kenneth M Cameron
Department of Botany, University of Wisconsin, Madison, Madison, WI 53706 1381, USA
Ann Bot 104:377-85. 2009..Since 40% of the genera within Vanilloideae are achlorophyllous mycoheterotrophs, this is an ideal group of orchids in which to evaluate non-plastid gene sequences...
- Cigarillo smoking: smoke toxicant content and user toxicant exposure and effectsAashir Nasim; Fiscal Year: 2013..Cigarillos appeal to young consumers because of the availability of enticing flavors like grape, cherry, and vanilla, and the sweet aroma produced by cigarillos when smoked...
- DETERMINANTS OF PERCEPTION WITH A COCHLEAR IMPLANTDavid Smith; Fiscal Year: 2001..In addition, the feasibility of conducting fine focal stimulation within the cochlea, both within and across a critical band length, will be evaluated in terms of measures of channel interactions and behavioral performance. ..
- Psychophysicial Studies of Cochlear Efferent FunctionDavid Smith; Fiscal Year: 2005..Without this parallel testing paradigm (and the ability to lesion tracts in the non-human primate subjects) the link between human perception and the underlying neural mechanism would not be direction obtainable. ..
- Neural substrates of taste, smell and flavor in humansDANA SMALL; Fiscal Year: 2006..Congruent (vanilla odor with sweet taste) and incongruent (vanilla odor with salty taste) taste/smell pairs will be presented to ..
- Human Salty and Bitter Taste MechanismsMARION FRANK; Fiscal Year: 2007..Greater understanding of gustatory perceptual processing in humans may lead to better management of taste disorders such as distressful salty-bitter dysgeusias and excessive salt intake. ..
- Interactions Between Nicotine Addiction and Food RewardDANA SMALL; Fiscal Year: 2006..If brain response does predict weight gain then we will have developed a method to identify individuals at risk for relapse so that they can be targeted for further therapeutic intervention. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- PERIPHERAL GUSTATORY PROCESSINGMARION ELIZABETH FRANK; Fiscal Year: 2010..Also, elimination of taste disorders would improve the quality of life that depends on enjoyment of food and drink, a universal human need contributing much to human sociality. ..
- Cognitive and affective influences on taste processingDana M Small; Fiscal Year: 2010..This research will provide fundamental information about human gustation and it will provide important baseline data for future studies of gustatory processing in the obese and individuals with an eating, drug or alcohol disorder. ..