Genomes and Genes
Summary: The undifferentiated cells produced by early cleavages of the fertilized egg (ZYGOTE) inside the intact ZONA PELLUCIDA. Blastomeres are formed during the MORULA and the BLASTULA stages of the preimplantation EMBRYO.
Publications259 found, 100 shown here
- Deterministic and stochastic allele specific gene expression in single mouse blastomeresFuchou Tang
Wellcome Trust Cancer Research UK Gurdon Institute of Cancer and Developmental Biology, University of Cambridge, Cambridge, United Kingdom
PLoS ONE 6:e21208. 2011..Here we performed single cell RNA-Seq analysis of single blastomeres of mouse embryos, which revealed significant changes in the transcriptome...
- Preclinical validation of a microarray method for full molecular karyotyping of blastomeres in a 24-h protocolD S Johnson
Gene Security Network, Inc, 2686 Middlefield Road, Suite C, Redwood City, CA 94063, USA
Hum Reprod 25:1066-75. 2010..Preimplantation genetic screening (PGS) has been used in an attempt to determine embryonic aneuploidy. Techniques that use new molecular methods to determine the karyotype of an embryo are expanding the scope of PGS...
- Sequential comprehensive chromosome analysis on polar bodies, blastomeres and trophoblast: insights into female meiotic errors and chromosomal segregation in the preimplantation window of embryo developmentAntonio Capalbo
Centre for Reproductive Medicine, Genera, Clinica Valle Giulia, Via G De Notaris 2b, Rome 00197, Italy
Hum Reprod 28:509-18. 2013..optimal stage from oocyte through preimplantation embryo development for biopsy and preimplantation genetic screening (PGS) to detect abnormal chromosome segregation patterns in eggs or embryos from advanced maternal age (AMA) patients?..
- Developmental bias in cleavage-stage mouse blastomeresInna Tabansky
The Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA 02138, USA
Curr Biol 23:21-31. 2013The cleavage-stage mouse embryo is composed of superficially equivalent blastomeres that will generate both the embryonic inner cell mass (ICM) and the supportive trophectoderm (TE)...
- Developmental fate and lineage commitment of singled mouse blastomeresChanchao Lorthongpanich
Mammalian Development Laboratory, Institute of Medical Biology, 8A Biomedical Grove, 06 06 Immunos, Singapore 138648
Development 139:3722-31. 2012..Here, we investigate whether cell-cell interaction can influence the fate specification of embryonic blastomeres by sequentially separating the blastomeres in two-cell stage mouse embryos and continuing separation after each ..
- Wnt signaling and an APC-related gene specify endoderm in early C. elegans embryosC E Rocheleau
Department of Cell Biology, Program in Molecular Medicine, University of Massachusetts Cancer Center, Worcester 01605, USA
Cell 90:707-16. 1997..We present evidence that there may be partially redundant inputs into endoderm specification and that a subset of these genes appear also to function in determining cytoskeletal polarity in certain early blastomeres.
- Functional interaction between p90Rsk2 and Emi1 contributes to the metaphase arrest of mouse oocytesMaria Paola Paronetto
Department of Public Health and Cell Biology, Section of Anatomy, University of Rome Tor Vergata, Rome, Italy
EMBO J 23:4649-59. 2004....
- The use of morphokinetics as a predictor of embryo implantationMarcos Meseguer
Instituto Valenciano de Infertilidad, Universidad de Valencia, Plaza de la Policia Local, 3, Valencia 46015, Spain
Hum Reprod 26:2658-71. 2011..In order to compare a large number of embryos, with minimal variation in culture conditions, we have used an automatic embryo monitoring system...
- SpolvlgA is a DDX3/PL10-related DEAD-box RNA helicase expressed in blastomeres and embryonic cells in planarian embryonic developmentJordi Solana
Departament de Genetica, Facultat de Biologia, Universitat de Barcelona, Av Diagonal 645, Edifici annex, Planta 1, 08028 Barcelona, Catalunya, Spain
Int J Biol Sci 5:64-73. 2009..Expression in adult worms is also monitored and is found in the planarian germ line, where it is showed to be expressed in spermatogonia, spermatocytes and differentiating spermatids...
- Breakage-fusion-bridge cycles leading to inv dup del occur in human cleavage stage embryosThierry Voet
Center for Human Genetics, KULeuven UZ Gasthuisberg, Herestraat 49, Leuven, Belgium
Hum Mutat 32:783-93. 2011..Based on the copy number changes that were observed in the blastomeres it was hypothesized that chromosome breakages and fusions occur frequently in cleavage stage human embryos and ..
- A quantitative approach to the study of cell shapes and interactions during early chordate embryogenesisOlivier Tassy
IBDM Institut de Biologie du Développement de Marseille, UMR6216, CNRS Université de la Méditerranée, Campus de Luminy, Case 907, 13288 Marseille Cedex 9, France
Curr Biol 16:345-58. 2006..We applied this approach to early ascidian embryos, chosen because of their simplicity and their phylogenetic proximity to vertebrates...
- Production of cloned calves following nuclear transfer with cultured adult mural granulosa cellsD N Wells
AgResearch, Ruakura Research Centre, PB 3123, Hamilton, New Zealand
Biol Reprod 60:996-1005. 1999..Additionally, some first-generation morulae were recloned by fusing blastomeres to S-phase cytoplasts...
- Furrow-specific endocytosis during cytokinesis of zebrafish blastomeresBo Feng
Laboratory of Fish Developmental Genetics, Institute of Molecular Agrobiology, National University of Singapore, 1 Research Link, NUS, 117604, Singapore
Exp Cell Res 279:14-20. 2002..These data suggest that furrow-specific endocytosis is an integral part of cytokinesis...
- RNA-Seq analysis to capture the transcriptome landscape of a single cellFuchou Tang
Wellcome Trust Cancer Research UK Gurdon Institute of Cancer and Developmental Biology, University of Cambridge, Cambridge, UK
Nat Protoc 5:516-35. 2010..Compared with cDNA microarray techniques, our assay can capture up to 75% more genes expressed in early embryos. This protocol can generate deep-sequencing libraries for 16 single-cell samples within 6 d...
- Stochastic patterning in the mouse pre-implantation embryoJens Erik Dietrich
Max Planck Institute of Immunobiology, Department of Developmental Biology, Freiburg i Br, Germany
Development 134:4219-31. 2007..In the first phase, starting after compaction, blastomeres show highly variable Cdx2 and Nanog protein levels...
- Dynamic assembly of brambleberry mediates nuclear envelope fusion during early developmentElliott W Abrams
Department of Cell and Developmental Biology, Perelman School of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, 1211 BRB II III, 421 Curie Boulevard, Philadelphia, PA 19104 6058, USA
Cell 150:521-32. 2012To accommodate the large cells following zygote formation, early blastomeres employ modified cell divisions...
- Donor cells at the G1 phase enhance homogeneous gene expression among blastomeres in bovine somatic cell nuclear transfer embryosDaisaku Iwamoto
Department of Genetic Engineering, Kinki University, Kinokawa, Wakayama, Japan
Cell Reprogram 14:20-8. 2012..Moreover, half of the G1-SCNT embryos exhibited homogeneous luminescence among the blastomeres, whereas more than half of the G0-SCNT embryos exhibited mosaic luminescence...
- Production of loach (Misgurnus anguillicaudatus) germ-line chimera using transplantation of primordial germ cells isolated from cryopreserved blastomeresG S Yasui
Laboratory of Aquaculture Genetics and Genomics, Division of Marine Life Sciences, Graduate School of Fisheries Sciences, Hokkaido University, 3 1 1, Hakodate, Hokkaido, 041 8611, Japan
J Anim Sci 89:2380-8. 2011An efficient procedure for the cryopreservation of fish blastomeres followed by restoration through germ-line chimera formation was established...
- (beta)-catenin mediates the specification of endoderm cells in ascidian embryosK Imai
Department of Zoology, Graduate School of Science, Kyoto University, Sakyo ku, Kyoto 606 8502, Japan
Development 127:3009-20. 2000..and obtained the following results: (1) During cleavages, (beta)-catenin accumulated in the nuclei of vegetal blastomeres, suggesting that it plays a role in the specification of endoderm...
- Origins and rates of aneuploidy in human blastomeresMatthew Rabinowitz
Natera Inc, Gene Security Network, Inc, Redwood City, California, USA
Fertil Steril 97:395-401. 2012..To characterize chromosomal error types and parental origin of aneuploidy in cleavage-stage embryos using an informatics-based technique that enables the elucidation of aneuploidy-causing mechanisms...
- Poor correlations in the levels of pathogenic mitochondrial DNA mutations in polar bodies versus oocytes and blastomeres in humansNadine Gigarel
Universite Paris Descartes, Faculte de Medecine, Unité INSERM U781, Service de Genetique Medicale, Hôpital Necker Enfants Malades Assistance Publique Hôpitaux de Paris, 149 rue de Sevres, 75743 Paris Cedex 15, France
Am J Hum Genet 88:494-8. 2011..this point, we compared the mutant levels in 51 first polar bodies (PBs) and their counterpart (oocytes, blastomeres, or whole embryos), at risk of having (1) the "MELAS" m...
- Dynamic microtubules and specification of the zebrafish embryonic axisS Jesuthasan
Max Planck Institut fur Entwicklungsbiologie, Tubingen, Germany
Curr Biol 7:31-42. 1997..The early events in development are under the control of maternal genes but are relatively unexplored. Here, the process of axis specification is investigated...
- Single cell CGH analysis reveals a high degree of mosaicism in human embryos from patients with balanced structural chromosome aberrationsH Malmgren
Department of Molecular Medicine, Karolinska Institutet, Karolinska Hospital, S 171 76 Stockholm, Sweden
Mol Hum Reprod 8:502-10. 2002We have performed comparative genomic hybridization (CGH) analysis of single blastomeres from human preimplantation embryos of patients undergoing preimplantation genetic diagnosis (PGD) for inherited structural chromosome aberrations ..
- The fate of isolated blastomeres with respect to germ cell formation in the amphipod crustacean Parhyale hawaiensisCassandra G Extavour
Department of Zoology, Laboratory for Development and Evolution, University of Cambridge, Downing Street, Cambridge, CB2 3EJ Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom
Dev Biol 277:387-402. 2005..hawaiensis embryogenesis. I determine the capacity of individual blastomeres to form germ cells by isolating blastomeres at early cleavage stages and provide experimental evidence for ..
- Preferential localization of SSEA-4 in interfaces between blastomeres of mouse preimplantaion embryosBan Sato
Department of Developmental Biology, National Research Institute for Child Health and Development, 2 1 0 1 Okura, Setagaya Ku, Tokyo 157 8535, Japan
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 364:838-43. 2007..that the binding of 6E2 caused the clustering and consequent accumulation of sialylGb5 at the interface between blastomeres. These results suggest that SSEA-4 actively moves on the cell surface and readily accumulates between ..
- The C. elegans MEX-1 protein is present in germline blastomeres and is a P granule componentS Guedes
Department of Basic Sciences, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, WA 98109, USA
Development 124:731-9. 1997In the nematode Caenorhabditis elegans, germ cells arise from early embryonic cells called germline blastomeres. Cytoplasmic structures called P granules are present in the fertilized egg and are segregated into each of the germline ..
- mRNA-Seq whole-transcriptome analysis of a single cellFuchou Tang
Wellcome Trust Cancer Research UK Gurdon Institute of Cancer and Developmental Biology, University of Cambridge, Cambridge, UK
Nat Methods 6:377-82. 2009..Finally, for Dicer1(-/-) and Ago2(-/-) (Eif2c2(-/-)) oocytes, we found that 1,696 and 1,553 genes, respectively, were abnormally upregulated compared to wild-type controls, with 619 genes in common...
- Differential mitochondrial distribution in human pronuclear embryos leads to disproportionate inheritance between blastomeres: relationship to microtubular organization, ATP content and competenceJ Van Blerkom
Department of Molecular, Cellular and Developmental Biology, University of Colorado, Boulder, CO 80302 and Colorado Reproductive Endocrinology, Rose Medical Center, Denver, CO 80220, USA
Hum Reprod 15:2621-33. 2000..oocytes and cleavage stage embryos, followed either by measurements of the net ATP content of individual blastomeres or anti-tubulin immunofluorescence to determine the relationship between mitochondrial distribution and ..
- Chromosome abnormalities identified by comparative genomic hybridization in embryos from women with repeated implantation failureL Voullaire
Murdoch Children s Research Institute, Royal Children s Hospital, Parkville, Victoria 3052, Australia
Mol Hum Reprod 8:1035-41. 2002Using comparative genomic hybridization, we have detected chromosome abnormality in 76/126 (60%) single blastomeres biopsied prior to implantation from embryos from 20 women with repeated implantation failure following IVF...
- Chiral blastomere arrangement dictates zygotic left-right asymmetry pathway in snailsReiko Kuroda
Department of Life Sciences, Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, The University of Tokyo, Komaba, Meguro ku, Tokyo 153 8902, Japan
Nature 462:790-4. 2009..Similar chiral blastomere configuration mechanisms may also operate upstream of the Nodal pathway in left-right patterning of deuterostomes/vertebrates...
- Blastocyst axis is specified independently of early cell lineage but aligns with the ZP shapeYoko Kurotaki
Department of Pathology and Tumor Biology, Graduate School of Medicine, Kyoto University, Yoshida konoe cho, Sakyo ku, Kyoto 606 8501, Japan
Science 316:719-23. 2007..Rather, both the boundary between two-cell blastomeres and the E-Ab axis of the blastocyst align relative to the ellipsoidal shape of the zona pellucida (ZP), an ..
- Human embryonic stem cell lines generated without embryo destructionYoung Chung
Cell Stem Cell 2:113-7. 2008
- Functional genomics of 5- to 8-cell stage human embryos by blastomere single-cell cDNA analysisAmparo Galan
Valencia Node of The National Stem Cell Bank, Centro de Investigacion Principe Felipe, Valencia, Spain
PLoS ONE 5:e13615. 2010..Forty-nine blastomeres from 5- to 8-cell human embryos have been investigated following an efficient single-cell cDNA amplification ..
- Early, nonciliary role for microtubule proteins in left-right patterning is conserved across kingdomsMaria Lobikin
Department of Biology, Center for Regenerative and Developmental Biology, Tufts University, Medford, MA 02155, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 109:12586-91. 2012..The origin of laterality is cytoplasmic, ancient, and highly conserved across kingdoms, a fundamental feature of the cytoskeleton that underlies chirality in cells and multicellular organisms...
- Sequential signaling crosstalk regulates endomesoderm segregation in sea urchin embryosAditya J Sethi
National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD, USA
Science 335:590-3. 2012..Thus, we report that endomesoderm segregation is a progressive process, requiring a succession of regulatory interactions between cWnt and Notch signaling...
- Initial differentiation of blastomeres in 4-cell human embryos and its significance for early embryogenesis and implantationRobert G Edwards
Reproductive BioMedicine Online, Duck End Farm, Dry Drayton, Cambridge CB3 8DB, UK
Reprod Biomed Online 11:206-18. 2005..Knowledge of the properties of individual blastomeres should help in improving assisted human reproduction, performing preimplantation genetic diagnosis, and perhaps ..
- Normal bias in the direction of fetal rotation depends on blastomere composition during early cleavage in the mouseRichard L Gardner
Department of Biology, University of York, York, United Kingdom
PLoS ONE 5:e9610. 2010..Reconstructing cleavage stages with correspondingly positioned blastomeres from appropriate numbers of conceptuses with similar division planes provides a way of testing whether they ..
- Does the S phase have an impact on the accuracy of comparative genomic hybridization profiles in single fibroblasts and human blastomeres?Laia Ramos
Unitat de Biologia Cel lular i Genètica Mèdica Facultat de Medicina, Departament de Biologia Cel lular, Fisiologia i Immunologia, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, Bellaterra, Spain
Fertil Steril 101:488-95. 2014..To investigate if there is an association between single-cell replicative stage and the segmental chromosome imbalances detected by comparative genomic hybridization (CGH)...
- Identical triplets and twins developed from isolated blastomeres of 8- and 16-cell mouse embryos supported with tetraploid blastomeresAndrzej K Tarkowski
Department of Embryology, Institute of Zoology, Faculty of Biology, Warsaw University, Warsaw, Poland
Int J Dev Biol 49:825-32. 2005We studied the developmental potential of single blastomeres from early cleavage mouse embryos...
- Predictability of dorso-ventral asymmetry in the cleavage stage zebrafish embryo: an analysis using lithium sensitivity as a dorso-ventral markerP Aanstad
Department of Physiological Sciences, The Medical School, University of Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Mech Dev 88:33-41. 1999..Consequently, the dorso-ventral axis corresponds to the long axis of the embryo. Because the effect of lithium treatment is short-lived, the dorso-ventral axis must be specified in zebrafish already at the 32 cell stage...
- Production of chimeric embryos by aggregation of bovine egfp eight-cell stage blastomeres with two-cell fused and asynchronic embryosM I Hiriart
Laboratorio de Biotecnología Animal, University of Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Theriogenology 80:357-64. 2013..This technique will have great application for multiplication of embryos of high genetic value or transgenic embryos and also with the generation of truly bovine embryonic stem cells and induced pluripotent stem cells...
- Reprogramming after chromosome transfer into mouse blastomeresDieter Egli
Stowers Medical Institute, Harvard Stem Cell Institute, Department of Stem Cell and Regenerative Biology, Harvard University, 7 Divinity Avenue, Cambridge, MA 02140, USA
Curr Biol 19:1403-9. 2009..Here, we used chromosome transplantation techniques to investigate whether the blastomeres of two-cell-stage mouse embryos can reprogram more differentiated cells...
- Binucleated and micronucleated blastomeres in embryos derived from human assisted reproduction cyclesJames Meriano
LifeQuest Centre for Reproductive Medicine, 655 Bay St Suite 1800 18th Floor, Toronto, Ontario, M5G 2K4, Canada
Reprod Biomed Online 9:511-20. 2004..common multinucleation phenotypes observed in the authors' clinic, binucleated (BN) and micronucleated (MN) blastomeres, and included all intracytoplasmic sperm injection (ICSI) patients <40 years of age with at least one ..
- Spatial arrangement of individual 4-cell stage blastomeres and the order in which they are generated correlate with blastocyst pattern in the mouse embryoKarolina Piotrowska-Nitsche
Wellcome Trust Cancer Research UK, Gurdon Institute, Tennis Court Road, Cambridge CB2 1QR, UK
Mech Dev 122:487-500. 2005In the unperturbed development of the mouse embryo one of the 2-cell blastomeres tends to contribute its progeny predominantly to the embryonic and the other to the abembryonic part of the blastocyst...
- Xenopus p21-activated kinase 5 regulates blastomeres' adhesive properties during convergent extension movementsSandrine Faure
Centre de Recherches en Biochimie Macromoléculaire, FRE 2593 CNRS, 34293 Montpellier, France
Dev Biol 277:472-92. 2005..Taken together, our results suggest that X-PAK5 regulates convergent extension movements in vivo by modulating the calcium-mediated cell-cell adhesion...
- Sex determination of bovine embryo blastomeres by fluorogenic probesJ Virta
Animal Production Research, Animal Breeding, MTT Agrifood Research, Jokioinen, Finland
Theriogenology 57:2229-36. 2002..preamplification, polymerase chain reaction (PCR) method for the determination of sex in bovine embryo blastomeres. For this aim, ZFX/ZFY sequences were preamplified simultaneously with other genomic regions...
- Removal of vegetal yolk causes dorsal deficencies and impairs dorsal-inducing ability of the yolk cell in zebrafishT Mizuno
Division of Biological Science, Graduate School of Science, Nagoya University, Chikusa ku, Nagoya, 464 8602, Japan
Mech Dev 81:51-63. 1999..the yolk cell obtained from the vegetal-removed embryos lost the ability to induce goosecoid in normal blastomeres while the normal yolk cell frequently did so in normal and vegetal-removed embryos...
- Reprogramming of early embryonic blastomeres into endodermal progenitors by a Caenorhabditis elegans GATA factorJ Zhu
Department of Molecular, Cellular, and Developmental Biology and Neuroscience Research Institute, University of California, Santa Barbara, California 93106 USA
Genes Dev 12:3809-14. 1998..This suggests that a primary function of these maternal factors is to regulate zygotic end-1 expression, which is then sufficient to initiate the entire program for endoderm development...
- Tight junctions in early amphibian development: detection of junctional cingulin from the 2-cell stage and its localization at the boundary of distinct membrane domains in dividing blastomeres in low calciumP Cardellini
Dipartimento di Biologia, Universita di Padova, Italy
Dev Dyn 207:104-13. 1996..In embryos incubated in low calcium medium for 30 min, newly divided blastomeres failed to completely adhere to each other...
- Mouse cloning and somatic cell reprogramming using electrofused blastomeresAmjad Riaz
State Key Laboratory of Reproductive Biology, Institute of Zoology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, 1st Beichen West Road, Beijing 100101, China
Cell Res 21:770-8. 2011..embryos, arrested in mitosis, can support developmental reprogramming of nuclei from donor cells ranging from blastomeres to somatic cells...
- Transcriptome fingerprint of bovine 2-cell stage blastomeres is directly correlated with the individual developmental competence of the corresponding sister blastomereEva Held
Institute of Animal Science, Animal Breeding and Husbandry Group, University of Bonn, Bonn, Germany
Biol Reprod 87:154. 2012..This study sought to find a direct correlation between transcriptome fingerprint of blastomeres of bovine 2-cell stage embryos with developmental competence of the corresponding sister blastomeres...
- Contribution of early cells to the fate map of the zebrafish gastrulaK A Helde
Department of Human Genetics, Eccles Institute of Human Genetics, University of Utah, Salt Lake City 84112
Science 265:517-20. 1994..because of variability in both the position of the future dorsoventral axis with respect to the early cleavage blastomeres and the scattering of daughter cells as the gastrula is formed...
- Conversion of zebrafish blastomeres to an endodermal fate by TGF-beta-related signalingN Peyrieras
INSERM U368, Ecole Normale Superieure, Paris, France
Curr Biol 8:783-6. 1998..Activation of TARAM-A was found to drive blastomeres towards an endodermal fate...
- Internalization of cellular fragments in a human embryo: time-lapse recordingsT Hardarson
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Goteborg University, SU Sahlgrenska, 413 45 Gothenburg, Sweden
Reprod Biomed Online 5:36-8. 2002..The fragment, created during the first mitotic cleavage was reabsorbed into one of the mother blastomeres in less than 5 min...
- Laser zona drilling does not induce hsp70i transcription in blastomeres of eight-cell mouse embryosCristina Hartshorn
Department of Biology, Brandeis University, Waltham, Massachusetts 02454 9110, USA
Fertil Steril 84:1547-50. 2005..with a 1,480-nm laser induces heat shock in eight-cell embryos, we measured hsp70i RNA levels in sets of single blastomeres isolated after laser treatment of mouse embryos that had or had not been heated at 43 degrees C...
- Differential expression of Axin1, Cdc25c and Cdkn2d mRNA in 2-cell stage mouse blastomeresJian hong Sun
Institute of Biological Engineering, College of Veterinary Medicine, Northwest A and F University, Yangling, Shaanxi Province 712100, P R China
Zygote 20:305-10. 2012There is increasing evidence to show that 2-cell stage mouse blastomeres have differing developmental properties...
- Cryopreservation of chum salmon blastomeres by the straw methodSatoshi Kusuda
Hokkaido Fish Hatchery, Kitakashiwagi, Eniwa, Hokkaido 061 1433, Japan
Cryobiology 45:60-7. 2002..genetic resources of chum salmon, Oncorhynchus keta, optimum conditions for cryopreservation of isolated blastomeres were investigated...
- Embryo quality and impact of specific embryo characteristics on ongoing implantation in unselected embryos derived from modified natural cycle in vitro fertilizationMarie José Pelinck
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, University Medical Center Groningen, Groningen, The Netherlands
Fertil Steril 94:527-34. 2010..To study the implantation potential of unselected embryos derived from modified natural cycle IVF according to their morphological characteristics...
- Delay of polarization event increases the number of Cdx2-positive blastomeres in mouse embryoIlona Kondratiuk
Department of Embryology, Institute of Zoology, University of Warsaw, Miecznikowa 1, 02 096 Warsaw, Poland
Dev Biol 368:54-62. 2012..Such embryos developed from the blastomeres that were isolated from 8-cell embryos either before or after the compaction, i.e...
- Effect of fragment removal on blastocyst formation and quality of human embryosPoopak Eftekhari-Yazdi
Department of Anatomy, School of Medical Science, Tarbiat Modarres University, PO Box 14115 111, Tehran, Iran
Reprod Biomed Online 13:823-32. 2006..end of day 6 of culture, in the experimental group especially in grade IV blastocyst rate, size and number of blastomeres in each blastocyst were all improved compared with those of the control group (42.3 versus 20.0%; 19,205...
- Transcript profiling of individual twin blastomeres derived by splitting two-cell stage murine embryosR Michael Roberts
Division of Animal Sciences, Bond Life Sciences Center, University of Missouri, Columbia, MO 65211, USA
Biol Reprod 84:487-94. 2011..Here we examined whether twin blastomeres from 2-cell stage mouse embryos differ in mRNA content...
- Transcriptome asymmetry within mouse zygotes but not between early embryonic sister blastomeresMatthew D VerMilyea
Laboratory of Mammalian Molecular Embryology, RIKEN Center for Developmental Biology, Kobe, Japan
EMBO J 30:1841-51. 2011..Accordingly, there is transcriptome asymmetry within mouse oocytes, but not between the sister blastomeres of early embryos...
- Genome-wide microarray evidence that 8-cell human blastomeres over-express cell cycle drivers and under-express checkpointsAnn A Kiessling
Bedford Stem Cell Research Foundation, 206 Elm St, Suite 106, Somerville, MA 02144, USA
J Assist Reprod Genet 27:265-76. 2010..To understand cell cycle controls in the 8-Cell human blastomere...
- Towards defining parameters for a successful single embryo transfer in frozen cyclesR Tang
Monash IVF, Clayton, Victoria, Australia
Hum Reprod 21:1179-83. 2006..In this study, we investigated the effect of blastomere lysis and cleavage in singleton frozen embryo transfer (sFET) cycles. Outcomes were compared with the transfer of two embryos in frozen transfer cycles (dFET)...
- Use of picosecond infrared laser for micromanipulation of early mammalian embryosArtashes V Karmenyan
Institute of Biophotonics, National Yang Ming University, Taipei, Taiwan
Mol Reprod Dev 76:975-83. 2009..for the inactivation (functional enucleation) of oocytes and two-cell mouse embryos and also for the fusion of blastomeres of two-cell mouse embryos...
- Improvement of the developmental ability of nuclear transfer embryos by using blastomeres from in vitro fertilized embryos selected according to the early developmental stage and cell division status as donor cells in cattleYuji Goto
National Institute of Livestock and Grassland Science, Nagano, Japan
J Reprod Dev 57:249-55. 2011This study was conducted to improve the developmental ability of nuclear transfer (NT) embryos by using blastomeres from in vitro fertilized (IVF) embryos with high quality as donor cells...
- The neglected morula/compact stage embryo transferJun Tao
Arizona Institute of Reproductive Medicine, Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Hum Reprod 17:1513-8. 2002..This retrospective study analysed the outcomes of 339 embryo transfers on either day 3 (n = 97) or day 4 (n = 242), and proposed a grading system for morula/compact embryos...
- Cryopreservation of zebrafish (Danio rerio) blastomeres by controlled slow coolingC Lin
LIRANS Institute of Research in the Applied Natural Sciences, University of Bedfordshire, Bedfordshire, UK
Cryo Letters 30:132-41. 2009..This study sets out to determine an optimum cryopreservation protocol for blastomeres isolated from 50% epiboly zebrafish embryos. Freezing was performed in 0.25 ml straws in a programmable freezer...
- Maternal transcripts of mitotic checkpoint gene, Xbub3, are accumulated in the animal blastomeres of Xenopus early embryoT Goto
Developmental Biology, Faculty of Science, Kwansei Gakuin University, Nishinomiya, Japan
DNA Cell Biol 18:227-34. 1999..We compared the quantity of mRNAs among four blastomeres of Xenopus 8-cell-stage embryos by the differential display method...
- National collection of embryo morphology data into Society for Assisted Reproductive Technology Clinic Outcomes Reporting System: associations among day 3 cell number, fragmentation and blastomere asymmetry, and live birth rateCatherine Racowsky
Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Biology, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Fertil Steril 95:1985-9. 2011..To evaluate the validity of collecting day 3 embryo morphology variables into the Society for Assisted Reproductive Technology Clinic Outcomes Reporting System (SART CORS)...
- The competence of Xenopus blastomeres to produce neural and retinal progeny is repressed by two endo-mesoderm promoting pathwaysBo Yan
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, The George Washington University Medical Center, 2300 Eye Street, N W, Washington, DC 20037, USA
Dev Biol 305:103-19. 2007Only a subset of cleavage stage blastomeres in the Xenopus embryo is competent to contribute cells to the retina; ventral vegetal blastomeres do not form retina even when provided with neuralizing factors or transplanted to the most ..
- Number of blastomeres and distribution of microvilli in cloned mouse embryos during compactionChao Bo Li
Department of Histology and Embryology, Harbin Medical University, Harbin, China
Zygote 19:271-6. 2011..by somatic cell nuclear transfer (SCNT) in aspects different from previous studies, not only the number of blastomeres of cloned embryos during the initiation of compaction, but also the distribution of microvilli in cloned, ..
- Spatial alignment of the mouse blastocyst axis across the first cleavage plane is caused by mechanical constraint rather than developmental bias among blastomeresVernadeth B Alarcon
Institute for Biogenesis Research, Department of Anatomy, Biochemistry and Physiology, John A Burns School of Medicine at Kakaako, University of Hawaii, Honolulu, Hawaii 96813, USA
Mol Reprod Dev 75:1143-53. 2008..it is also possible that such alignment is not due to any developmental disparity between the two-cell stage blastomeres, but rather is caused by an extrinsic mechanical constraint that is conferred by an irregular shape of the zona ..
- Rhesus monkey embryos produced by nuclear transfer from embryonic blastomeres or somatic cellsShoukhrat M Mitalipov
Oregon Regional Primate Research Center, Beaverton, OR 97006, USA
Biol Reprod 66:1367-73. 2002..study was to determine the developmental competence of nuclear transfer (NT) embryos derived from embryonic blastomeres (embryonic cell NT) or fetal fibroblasts (somatic cell NT) as a first step in the production of rhesus monkeys ..
- Midblastula transition (MBT) of the cell cycles in the yolk and pigment granule-free translucent blastomeres obtained from centrifuged Xenopus embryosYasuhiro Iwao
Department of Biological Science, Faculty of Science, Yamaguchi University, 753 8512 Yamaguchi, Japan
Dev Growth Differ 47:283-94. 2005We obtained translucent blastomeres free of yolk and pigment granules from Xenopus embryos which had been centrifuged at the beginning of the 8-cell stage with cellular integrity...
- Binary specification of the embryonic lineage in Caenorhabditis elegansT Kaletta
Max Planck Institut fur Biochemie, Martinsried, Germany
Nature 390:294-8. 1997..A central problem in embryonic development is to understand how the developmental potential of blastomeres is restricted to permit the terminal expression of such complex differentiation patterns...
- A targeted mutation in the mouse E-cadherin gene results in defective preimplantation developmentD Riethmacher
Max Delbrueck Laboratorium, Max Planck Gesellschaft, Koeln, Germany
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 92:855-9. 1995..Thus, maternal E-cadherin suffices for initial compaction of the morula but not for further preimplantation development to occur...
- Ultrastructural morphometry of bovine blastocysts produced in vivo or in vitroA E Crosier
Departments of Animal Science, North Carolina State University, Raleigh 27695-7621, USA
Biol Reprod 64:1375-85. 2001..However, the specific nature of these deviations varied with the type of culture conditions used for in vitro embryo production...
- Histone arginine methylation regulates pluripotency in the early mouse embryoMaria Elena Torres-Padilla
The Wellcome Trust Cancer Research UK Gurdon Institute, University of Cambridge, Tennis Court Road, Cambridge CB2 1QN, UK
Nature 445:214-8. 2007..Levels of H3 methylation at specific arginine residues are maximal in four-cell blastomeres that will contribute to the inner cell mass (ICM) and polar trophectoderm and undertake full development when ..
- Wnt signaling polarizes an early C. elegans blastomere to distinguish endoderm from mesodermC J Thorpe
Institute of Molecular Biology, University of Oregon, Eugene 97403, USA
Cell 90:695-705. 1997..Defective mitotic spindle orientations in mom mutant embryos indicate that Wnt signaling influences cytoskeletal polarity in blastomeres throughout the early embryo.
- Role of Cdx2 and cell polarity in cell allocation and specification of trophectoderm and inner cell mass in the mouse embryoAgnieszka Jedrusik
Wellcome Trust Cancer Research UK Gurdon Institute, Cambridge CB2 1QN, United Kingdom
Genes Dev 22:2692-706. 2008..It is initiated via asymmetric divisions of eight- and 16-cell blastomeres that allocate cells to inner and outer positions, each with different developmental fates...
- Markers that define stemness in ESC are unable to identify the totipotent cells in human preimplantation embryosG Cauffman
Department of Embryology and Genetics, UZ Brussel and the Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Laarbeeklaan 101, Brussels 1090, Belgium
Hum Reprod 24:63-70. 2009During human preimplantation development, early blastomeres are believed to be totipotent. It is likely, however, that blastomeres are allocated to a specific lineage prior to any morphological differentiation...
- Human embryonic stem cell lines derived from single blastomeres of two 4-cell stage embryosMieke Geens
Department of Embryology and Genetics, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, 1090 Brussels, Belgium
Hum Reprod 24:2709-17. 2009Recently, we demonstrated that single blastomeres of a 4-cell stage human embryo are able to develop into blastocysts with inner cell mass and trophectoderm...
- skn-1, a maternally expressed gene required to specify the fate of ventral blastomeres in the early C. elegans embryoB Bowerman
Department of Basic Sciences, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, Washington 98104
Cell 68:1061-75. 1992..We propose that the maternally expressed skn-1 gene product acts to specify the fate of the EMS blastomere...
- The development of novel quantification assay for mitochondrial DNA heteroplasmy aimed at preimplantation genetic diagnosis of Leigh encephalopathyHiroto Tajima
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Keio University School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan
J Assist Reprod Genet 24:227-32. 2007..To perform preimplantation genetic diagnosis (PGD) of Leigh encephalopathy, we developed a rapid and reliable quantification assay for the percentage of T8993G mtDNA mutation and analyzed various specimens...
- Milder ovarian stimulation for in-vitro fertilization reduces aneuploidy in the human preimplantation embryo: a randomized controlled trialEsther B Baart
Department of Reproductive Medicine and Gynaecology, University Medical Center, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Hum Reprod 22:980-8. 2007....
- Stem cells and regeneration in planariansMette Handberg-Thorsager
Genetics Department, University of Barcelona, Av Diagonal 645, Barcelona, Spain
Front Biosci 13:6374-94. 2008..In the last ten years, molecular, cellular, and bioinformatics tools have been established for use in this model, making it ideally placed for in vivo analysis of stem cells in their natural environment without ethical complications...
- Reliability of short comparative genomic hybridization in fibroblasts and blastomeres for a comprehensive aneuploidy screening: first clinical applicationM Rius
Unitat de Biologia Cellular i Genetica Medica, Facultat de Medicina, Departament de Biologia Cellular, Fisiologia i Immunologia, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, 08193 Bellaterra, Spain
Hum Reprod 25:1824-35. 2010..The aim of this study is to reduce the hybridization period of CGH, in order to make this short-CGH technique suitable for PGS of Day-3 embryos, avoiding the cryopreservation step...
- Parameters guiding selection of best embryos for transfer after cryopreservation: a reappraisalFabrice Guerif
Biologie de la Reproduction, département de gynécologie obstétrique et reproduction humaine, CHU Bretonneau, 37044 Tours, France
Hum Reprod 17:1321-6. 2002..The purpose of this study was to evaluate the respective influences of blastomere survival and resumption of mitosis on the outcome of frozen-thawed embryos...
- Preimplantation genetic diagnosis and chromosome analysis of blastomeres using comparative genomic hybridizationLeeanda Wilton
Genetic and Molecular Research, Melbourne IVF, 320 Victoria Parade, East Melbourne 3002, Victoria, Australia
Hum Reprod Update 11:33-41. 2005..CGH has been applied to clinical PGD and has resulted in the birth of healthy babies from embryos whose full karyotype was determined in the preimplantation phase...
- Assessment of beta-HCG, beta-LH mRNA and ploidy in individual human blastomeresChristoph Hansis
Program for In Vitro Fertilization, Reproductive Surgery and Infertility, New York University School of Medicine, 660 First Avenue, 5th Floor, New York, NY 10016, USA
Reprod Biomed Online 5:156-61. 2002In human embryos, blastomeres differentiate into trophectoderm (TE) cells and inner cell mass (ICM) cells of blastocysts...
- A role for Rho-like GTPases in the polarisation of mouse eight-cell blastomeresL Clayton
Department of Anatomy, University of Cambridge, Downing Street, Cambridge, CB2 3DY, United Kingdom
Dev Biol 205:322-31. 1999Polarisation of cells during mouse preimplantation development first occurs within blastomeres at the eight-cell stage, as part of a process called compaction...
- Derivation of the first Swiss human embryonic stem cell line from a single blastomere of an arrested four-cell stage embryoAnis Feki
Laboratory of Stem Cell Research, Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Geneva University Hospitals, Geneva, Switzerland
Swiss Med Wkly 138:540-50. 2008..Moreover, most of the lines have been obtained in media containing animal components such as foetal bovine serum. We aimed to derive hESC lines in xeno-free conditions using spare embryos frozen in Switzerland before 2001...
- Derivation of human embryonic stem cell lines from biopsied blastomeres on human feeders with minimal exposure to xenomaterialsDusko Ilic
SLLSciences StemLifeLine, Inc, San Carlos, California 94070, USA
Stem Cells Dev 18:1343-50. 2009..In this study, we describe an improved method for efficient derivation of hESC lines from blastomeres of biopsied embryos...
- Individual blastomeres of 16- and 32-cell mouse embryos are able to develop into foetuses and miceAndrzej K Tarkowski
Department of Embryology, University of Warsaw, Miecznikowa 1, 02 096 Warsaw, Poland
Dev Biol 348:190-8. 2010..To address this question, we studied the developmental potential of single blastomeres derived from 16- and 32-cell stage embryos and supported by carrier, tetraploid blastomeres...
- Effect of blastomere loss on the outcome of frozen embryo replacement cyclesTarek El-Toukhy
Assisted Conception Unit, Guy s and St Thomas Hospital NHS Trust, London, United Kingdom
Fertil Steril 79:1106-11. 2003To assess the impact of survival of cryopreservation and thawing with all blastomeres intact on the outcome of frozen embryo replacement (FER) cycles.
- Potential use of repeated fluorescence in situ hybridization in the same human blastomeres for preimplantation genetic diagnosisJ Liu
The Greater Baltimore Medical Center Fertility Center, Maryland 21204, USA
Fertil Steril 70:729-33. 1998..To assess the feasibility of repeated fluorescence in situ hybridization (FISH) procedures in the same nucleus of a human blastomere...
- Comparison of mitochondrial DNA contents in human embryos with good or poor morphology at the 8-cell stageDavid Pei Cheng Lin
Institute of Biochemistry, Chung Shan Medical University, ROC, Taichung, Taiwan
Fertil Steril 81:73-9. 2004..To quantify the mitochondrial DNA contents in human embryos with good or poor quality at the 8-cell stage...
- A default mechanism of spindle orientation based on cell shape is sufficient to generate cell fate diversity in polarised Xenopus blastomeresBernhard Strauss
The Wellcome Trust Cancer Research UK Gurdon Institute, Cambridge, UK
Development 133:3883-93. 2006..also take place in the frog blastula, where orientation of the spindle into the apicobasal axis of polarised blastomeres generates inner and outer cells with different fates...
- Differential pattern of Xist RNA accumulation in single blastomeres isolated from 8-cell stage mouse embryos following laser zona drillingCristina Hartshorn
Department of Biology, Brandeis University, Waltham, Massachusetts 02454 9110, USA
Mol Reprod Dev 64:41-51. 2003..that Xist transcripts are localized on the silenced X chromosome, forming aggregates of variable dimensions in blastomeres of 8-cell embryos...
- Embryonic stem cells from morulaNick Strelchenko
Reproductive Genetics Institute, Chicago, Illinois, USA
Methods Enzymol 418:93-108. 2006..Technical approaches of freezing morula-derived hESC are discussed...
- Bioelectrical Controls of MorphogenesisMichael Levin; Fiscal Year: 2010..unique opportunity to resolve the major puzzle of how early, cytoplasmic events that set up asymmetry in large blastomeres aligned with the embryo's midline may function in other animals (such as mammals) where many small cells ..
- CCCH zinc-finger proteins and transcriptional repression in germline blastomeresRueyling Lin; Fiscal Year: 2012..Although PIE-1 protein is in all germline blastomeres, it does not account for repression in P0 or P1...
- Novel Roles of Pluripotency Regulators in the Early Mouse EmbryoWing H Wong; Fiscal Year: 2012..pluripotency and the ability to self-renew in order to give rise to cell lineages that form the fetus, the blastomeres of the early embryo must establish totipotency and self-renewal abilities to form the blastocyst...
- Non-invasive Aneuploidy Screening of Circulating Fetal Cells for Prenatal DiagnosMatthew Rabinowitz; Fiscal Year: 2012..commercialized an innovative single cell molecular karyotyping protocol to enable genetic analysis of single blastomeres within 24 hours...
- Gene Expression in the Preimplantation Mouse EmbryoRichard M Schultz; Fiscal Year: 2013..by applicant): The egg-to-embryo transition entails transforming a highly differentiated oocyte into totipotent blastomeres, and represents one of the earliest obstacles that must be successfully hurdled for continued development...
- Mechanisms of Contact-Mediated Cell Polarization in the C. elegans Embryo.JEREMY FRANKLIN NANCE; Fiscal Year: 2013..These include the polarization of embryonic blastomeres that occurs during compaction and is required for specification of the inner cell mass (which gives rise to the ..
- Bioelectrical controls of left-right asymmetryLaura N Vandenberg; Fiscal Year: 2010..However, this mechanism relies on the fact that in Xenopus, the cleavage plane of the first large blastomeres normally coincides with the prospective midline of the whole embryo...
- Regulators of Dishevelled Function in the Wnt Signaling PathwayAthula H Wikramanayake; Fiscal Year: 2013..pole, and these structures correlate with highly restricted activation of Wnt/??-catenin signaling in vegetal blastomeres. In addition, functional studies have shown that Dvl is only able to activate Wnt/??-catenin signaling in ..
- Investigating FGF/sFRP interactions during forebrain evolution and developmentARIEL MATTHEW PANI; Fiscal Year: 2012..Specific Aims I and II will utilize gene knockdowns, mRNA injections into blastomeres, and embryological manipulations of hemichordate embryos to further investigate the evolutionary origins of the ..
- Mechanisms of Intracellular ScalingRebecca W Heald; Fiscal Year: 2013..stages of Xenopus laevis embryogenesis, as the ~1 millimeter diameter egg rapidly cleaves to form smaller blastomeres, which by the 15th division are reduced to 40 microns across...
- NIH Director's Pioneer AwardRebecca W Heald; Fiscal Year: 2010..and other compartments in Xenopus laevis, as the ~1 millimeter diameter egg rapidly cleaves to form smaller blastomeres, which by the 15th division are reduced to 40 microns across...
- Novel Informatics for Highly Reliable Multi-Locus Allele Calling for Embryo ScreeMatthew Rabinowitz; Fiscal Year: 2009..IVF Center, Boston IVF and Huntington Reproductive Center that applies the techniques from aims 1 and 2 to real blastomeres in the IVF context and compare our predictions with truth measured on the child when born...
- MOLECULAR ANALYSIS OF CONGENITAL ANOPHTHALMIAThomas Glaser; Fiscal Year: 2004..has the potential to promote neural and pigmented retina formation when ectopically expressed in frog anterior blastomeres (Mathers et al. 1997, Furukawa et al. 1997)...
- Mechanisms of Asymmetric RNA segregation in C. elegans DevelopmentJason D Lieb; Fiscal Year: 2013..elegans embryo, to characterize the mechanisms of asymmetric distribution of cellular contents in specific blastomeres with modern genomic tools and analysis, followed by tests of function...
- ANALYSIS OF CELL LINEAGE IN EMBRYOSRoger Pedersen; Fiscal Year: 1992..be performed using microinjected tracers at cleavage and gastrula stages to determine the fate of individual blastomeres in forming the unilaminar marsupial blastocyst, and of individual epiblast cells in forming the primary germ ..
- PAF AND PRE-IMPLANTATION/IMPLANTATION PHENOMENAMichael Harper; Fiscal Year: 1991..and capacities in relation to embryonic growth and development, and determine their localization on the blastomeres in early stage embryos, and on the cells of the trophoblast and the inner cell mass at the blastocyst stage, 4) ..
- RAPID PRENATAL SEXING OF CLEAVING MOUSE EMBRYOSJON GORDON; Fiscal Year: 1992..The technique for mouse embryo sexing will be based upon the polymerase chain reaction (PCR). Single blastomeres will be removed from embryos, boiled, and annealed with synthetic oligonucleotides corresponding to a Y-..
- The Role of Ductin in Embryonic MorphogenesisMichael Levin; Fiscal Year: 2007..data showing that ductin is present in the cell membrane (as well as the cytoplasm) of early embryonic blastomeres consistent with a gap junctional role for ductin...
- METABOLIC TESTS OF VIABILITY IN PREIMPLANTATION EMBRYOSJames Butler; Fiscal Year: 1992..Experiments will be carried out to examine the variation in staining between embryos and between blastomeres of individual embryos...
- FUNCTION OF ELECTRICAL COUPLING IN EMBRYONIC TISSUEMichael Bennett; Fiscal Year: 1991..Gap junctions in the ascidians show voltage dependence and the blastomeres exhibit two stable resting potentials sufficiently far apart to shut down junctional conductance and uncouple ..
- CELL SURFACE ARCHITECTURE OF EMBRYOS AND SPERMMARTHA SPIEGELMAN; Fiscal Year: 1980..transmission EM views show that the cell surface is abnormal in tw32/tw32 morulae; microvilli of neighboring blastomeres do not become closely intertwined as in normal morulae that are undergoing compaction...
- BLASTULA ADHESION COMPLEXESMERRIL HILLE; Fiscal Year: 1990..adhesion complex during development, and the relationship between these changes and the adhesion of blastomeres. (3) To determine the functional domains of this adhesion complex, and the structural requirements for adhesion ..
- INTERACTIONS BETWEEN F-ACTIN, MYOSIN II AND MICROTUBULESGarrett Odell; Fiscal Year: 2001..will be extended to make a similar description of wildtype F-actin/myosin II/microtubule dynamics in early blastomeres of C...
- Mitochondria distribution in cloned pig embryosHeide Schatten; Fiscal Year: 2005..Our specific aims are to analyze: 1a) whether differences in mitochondrial distribution occur among individual blastomeres in cohorts of morphologically normal cleavage stage embryos; 1b) whether changes in intracellular pH are ..
- MULTIPHOTON LASER SCANNING MICROSCOPEJAMES TRUMAN; Fiscal Year: 2000..elegans blastomeres; the dynamics of patterning gene during regeneration in Drosophila imaginal discs; the analysis of steroid ..
- ANIMAL MODELS BASED ON NUCLEAR TRANSFER IN THE RATPhilip Iannaccone; Fiscal Year: 2000..Recently, nuclear transfer has been shown to produce viable offspring from isolated blastomeres of several mammalian species...
- CORTICAL ORGANIZATION IN PREIMPLANTATION MOUSE EMBRYOSJAEL SOBEL; Fiscal Year: 1990..of actin filaments, promote microtubule growth, and function in the formation of the polar body; 2) Compacting blastomeres to determine the role of the filaments in surface polarization and blastomere spreading; 3) Blastocysts to ..
- EGG CYTOPLASMIC INFORMATION IN CELL DIFFERENTIATIONJ Whittaker; Fiscal Year: 1992..by their differential segregation during early cell divisions into restricted cell lineages: cleavage stage blastomeres in isolation develop and self-differentiate only according to already fixed fates...
- NEURONAL LINEAGE DETERMINANTS IN EMBRYOSSALLY MOODY; Fiscal Year: 1993..identify and clone cytoplasmic mRNAs or proteins that are involved in neuronal lineage determination of certain blastomeres. The RCDA will relieve her of teaching efforts, giving her time to receive this training and to establish ..
- ALKALINE PHOSPHATASE IN THE PREIMPLANTATION MOUSE EMBRYOCarol Ziomek; Fiscal Year: 1991..the expression of the embryonic APase will be suppressed by the injection of anti-sense APase RNA into 2-cell blastomeres and by then following the developmental capabilities of these injected cells...
- TRANSLATIONAL CONTROL IN C. ELEGANS EMBRYOSCraig Hunter; Fiscal Year: 2004..MEX-3 represses pal-1 translation in oocytes and early blastomeres. At the 4-cell stage, this repression is inhibited in the posterior blastomeres and pal-1 is translated in ..
- PRODUCTION OF CLONED CALVES FROM ADULT FIBROBLASTSGEORGE HOLZER; Fiscal Year: 2000..As controls, in vitro derived blastomeres will serve as nuclear donor cells for nuclear transfer and the establishment of pregnancies...
- DETERMINATIVE EVENTS IN CLEAVAGE STAGE EMBRYOSSteven Klein; Fiscal Year: 1991It is believed that cleavage stage events restrict cell fate because experimental manipulation of blastomeres alters terminal cell differentiation...
- CELL ADHESION AND MATRIX IN VERTEBRATE DEVELOPMENTDouglas DeSimone; Fiscal Year: 1999..Integrin transcripts will be injected into eggs and specific blastomeres and the adhesion, migration and fate of the progeny determined as development proceeds...
- NUCLEAR TRANSFER IN NON-HUMAN PRIMATESSteven Voelkel; Fiscal Year: 1991..the most effective means of enucleating oocytes and the extent to which oocytes will fuse with non-primate blastomeres. He plans to obtain oocytes from animals at regional primate facilities that are being sacrificed for other ..
- MOLECULAR AND CELLULAR BASIS OF LENS DEVELOPMENTJonathan J Henry; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Spiralian developmental system for the study of multipotencyCesar Arenas Mena; Fiscal Year: 2008..The first round of experiments will deplete this histone variant from individual blastomeres of the multipotent terminal growth zone...
- MHC-Defined and Identical Twin Monkeys for ResearchJoseph Kemnitz; Fiscal Year: 2005..Additionally, genetically identical macaques will have general utility in biomedical research, especially to the neuroscience community. ..
- Role of Par Genes in the Early Mouse EmbryoVERNADETH ALARCON; Fiscal Year: 2006..An understanding of cell polarization in the mouse embryo should have significant benefit for human health research related to reproductive problems. ..
- Specification of embryonic C. elegans mesoderm by a T-box factorMorris Maduro; Fiscal Year: 2008..elegans may shed light on how development goes awry, a process which can lead to birth defects or cancer. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Oxidative Stress and Oocyte DevelopmentCATHERINE COMBELLES; Fiscal Year: 2007..These findings will enhance our ability to detect and produce oocytes of optimal quality, thereby providing critical foundations for the improvement of female reproductive health. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- REGULATION OF BETA-CATENIN NUCLEARIZATIONCHARLES ETTENSOHN; Fiscal Year: 2006The accumulation of beta-catenin in the nuclei of specific blastomeres is a critical early step in animal development...
- IMMUNOLOGIC MECHANISMS IN HUMAN FEMALE INFERTILITYJohn Herr; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- A Program for Expanding ELSI Undergraduate PedagogyRonald Green; Fiscal Year: 2005..This proposal represents a logical next step in the employment of the skills and resources we have developed at Dartmouth for undergraduate ELSI education. ..
- BAYLOR BIRCWH PROGRAMJoe Simpson; Fiscal Year: 2004..These goals are vital to public health in contributing to the establishment of methods for production of safe, effective, quality herbal extracts for consumer use. ..
- TRANSGENIC MODULATION OF GAP JUNCTION INTERACTIONSRichard Schultz; Fiscal Year: 2001..1997). Am 5 is to determine whether long term survival of the Cx43 KO mouse may be achieved when Cx43 expression is restored to all neural crest lineages via a Cx43 expression vector driven by the Cx43 promoter. ..
- Body Plan Formation in Early Mouse EmbryoYusuke Marikawa; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- 2003/2005 INTERNATIONAL C. ELEGANS MEETINGSGeraldine Seydoux; Fiscal Year: 2004..Previous C. elegans meetings have led to the exchange of knowledge, ideas, methods, mutants, and clones and have been vital in fostering the sense of excitement and the collegiality and cooperativity that characterize this field. ..
- Preimplantation Genetic Diagnosis & Genetic ModificationJohn Robertson; Fiscal Year: 2003..It will explore whether prevailing conceptions of procreative and family liberty include the right of prospective parents to alter or modify the genome of offspring for medical or non-medical purposes. ..
- Mes-1 and Asymmetric Germline Divisions in C. elegansLAURA BERKOWITZ; Fiscal Year: 2003..Identification of other genes that function in this process will not only lay the foundation for future experiments but will also advance our understanding of asymmetric divisions. ..
- Wnt Signaling in Xenopus Embryonic DevelopmentSergei Y Sokol; Fiscal Year: 2010..Since Wnt pathways are activated in many human cancers, including colon carcinomas, melanomas and skin tumors, the proposed experiments are directly relevant to human disease. ..
- PROPAGATION OF MONKEY MODELS OF HUMAN DISEASEShoukhrat Mitalipov; Fiscal Year: 2005..The applicants will select the optimal approach to twinning in year 1 and produce 5 sets of identical twins per year during years 2-5 of the study. ..
- The Zebrafish Model of MicrophthalmiaJarema Malicki; Fiscal Year: 2008..These studies will provide insight into the genetic basis of this debilitating disorder that affects 1 in 5,000 children. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- BAC-FISH Assays for Sensitive Karyotyping of Cancer CellsHeinz Ulrich Weier; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Impact of Egg Quality on Gene Expression and BehaviorRichard Schultz; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- TRANSGENIC MOUSE MODELS OF CRANIOFACIAL DEVELOPMENTRichard Behringer; Fiscal Year: 2001..This knowledge should be useful for understanding the etiology and pathogenesis of craniofacial defects. ..
- COMPARATIVE GENETICS OF GLI FUNCTIONAlexander Schier; Fiscal Year: 2008..These comparative genetic studies will allow detailed insights into the conservation and divergence of orthologous genes and will test the value of animal models in understanding human birth defects. ..
- NEURONAL LINEAGE DETERMINANTS IN EMBRYOSSALLY MOODY; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Metastasis-associated kinase in Wnt signalingSergei Y Sokol; Fiscal Year: 2010..The knowledge of the molecular pathways that involve MAK should allow the design of small molecules, which can modulate its enzymatic activity, and may lead to the development of new anti-cancer therapies. ..
- Control of cell polarity in the C. elegans zygoteGeraldine Seydoux; Fiscal Year: 2005..We anticipate that our studies will provide significant insights into these processes by taking advantage of the experimental attributes of a simple model system...
- INTERACTION BETWEEN BLASTOCYST AND UTERINE ENDOMETRIUMROBERT MICHAEL ROBERTS; Fiscal Year: 2010..Together these studies are expected to provide information on two key events in early pregnancy, the formation of an early placenta and immediate maternal responses to the presence of a tiny embryo attaching to her uterine wall. ..