- Impairment of lymph drainage in subfascial compartment of forearm in breast cancer-related lymphedema
A W B Stanton
Department of Medicine, St George s Hospital Medical School, London
Lymphat Res Biol 1:121-32. 2003
..to axillary surgery and radiotherapy (breast cancer-related lymphedema), the swelling is largely epifascial and lymph flow per unit epifascial volume is impaired...
- Intestinal CD103(-) dendritic cells migrate in lymph and prime effector T cells
Institute for Infection, Immunity and Inflammation, College of Medical, Veterinary and Life Sciences, University of Glasgow, Glasgow, UK
Mucosal Immunol 6:104-13. 2013
Intestinal dendritic cells (DCs) continuously migrate through lymphatics to mesenteric lymph nodes where they initiate immunity or tolerance. Recent research has focused on populations of intestinal DCs expressing CD103...
- The conduit system of the lymph node
Department of Molecular Cell Biology and Immunology, Vrije University VU Medical Center, PO Box 7057, 1007MB Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Int Immunol 20:1483-7. 2008
The lymphoid compartment of lymph nodes is impermeable to many molecules that are delivered via afferent lymphatic vessels. In the lymphoid compartment, fibroblast reticular cells form an interconnected network-the conduit system...
- Changes in the mesenteric lymph proteome induced by hemorrhagic shock
Department of Surgery, Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences, University of Auckland, New Zealand
Shock 34:140-9. 2010
..active factors produced by the intestine and transported by the aqueous and protein fraction of mesenteric lymph are now thought to contribute significantly to the development of distant organ failure in hemorrhagic shock...
- A spatially-organized multicellular innate immune response in lymph nodes limits systemic pathogen spread
Lymphocyte Biology Section, Laboratory of Systems Biology, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Cell 150:1235-48. 2012
The lymphatic network that transports interstitial fluid and antigens to lymph nodes constitutes a conduit system that can be hijacked by invading pathogens to achieve systemic spread unless dissemination is blocked in the lymph node ..
- GLP-1 reduces intestinal lymph flow, triglyceride absorption, and apolipoprotein production in rats
Department of Pathology, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, Cincinnati, Ohio 45237, USA
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 288:G943-9. 2005
..the effect of recombinant GLP-1-(7-36) amide (rGLP-1) on lipid absorption in the small intestine in intestinal lymph duct-cannulated rats...
- Bluetongue virus targets conventional dendritic cells in skin lymph
Virologie et Immunologie Moléculaires, UR892 INRA, Domaine de Vilvert, 78352 Jouy en Josas Cedex, France
J Virol 83:8789-99. 2009
..The virus initially replicates in the draining lymph node and then disseminates to secondary organs where it induces edema, hemorrhages, and necrosis...
- Evaluation of sentinel node biopsy by combined fluorescent and dye method and lymph flow for breast cancer
National Cancer Center Hospital, Department of Surgery and Division of Breast Cancer, 5 1 1 Tsukiji Chuo ku, Tokyo, Japan
Breast 19:210-3. 2010
Conservative breast resection with subsequent sentinel lymph node biopsy (SNB) is an increasingly popular initial approach for the treatment of breast cancer due to decreased invasiveness...
- Role of the gut in the development of injury- and shock induced SIRS and MODS: the gut-lymph hypothesis, a review
Edwin A Deitch
Department of Surgery, UMDNJ New Jersey Medical School, MSB G506, Newark, NJ 07103, USA
Front Biosci 11:520-8. 2006
..based on recent experimental evidence, it appears that unique gut-derived factors carried in the intestinal lymph, but not the portal vein, lead to acute injury- and shock-induced SIRS and MODS...
- Homing and cellular traffic in lymph nodes
Ulrich H von Andrian
The CBR Institute for Biomedical Research and Department of Pathology, Harvard Medical School, 200 Longwood Avenue, Boston, Massachusettes 02115, USA
Nat Rev Immunol 3:867-78. 2003
- Mesenteric lymph: the bridge to future management of critical illness
Medhat Y Z Fanous
Hepatobiliary, Pancreatic and Upper Gastrointestinal Unit, Department of Surgery, Auckland, New Zealand
JOP 8:374-99. 2007
..Toxic factors in mesenteric lymph may induce an inflammatory systemic response while bypassing the portal circulation and liver...
- Profiling of normal human leg lymph proteins using the 2-D electrophoresis and SELDI-TOF mass spectrophotometry approach
Department of Surgical Research and Transplantology, Medical Research Center, Polish Academy of Sciences, Warsaw, Poland
Lymphology 37:65-72. 2004
..The protein composition of TF remains largely unknown. The TF which has entered lymphatics is called lymph (L)...
- Subcapsular sinus macrophages in lymph nodes clear lymph-borne viruses and present them to antiviral B cells
Immune Disease Institute and Department of Pathology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Nature 450:110-4. 2007
b>Lymph nodes prevent the systemic dissemination of pathogens such as viruses that infect peripheral tissues after penetrating the body's surface barriers...
- Interstitial fluid and lymph formation and transport: physiological regulation and roles in inflammation and cancer
Department of Biomedicine, University of Bergen, Bergen, Norway
Physiol Rev 92:1005-60. 2012
..Accumulated recent data show that IF and its convection through the interstitium and delivery to the lymph nodes have many and diverse biological effects, including in ECM reorganization, cell migration, and capillary ..
- Interobserver reproducibility of histologic parameters of melanoma deposits in sentinel lymph nodes: implications for management of patients with melanoma
Department of Anatomical Pathology, Royal Prince Alfred Hospital, Sydney, Australia
Cancer 115:5026-37. 2009
Histologic parameters of melanoma deposits in sentinel lymph nodes (SLNs) have been shown to be predictive of clinical outcome and the presence or absence of tumor in non-SLNs, but assessment of these parameters is prone to ..
- B16-BL6 melanoma cells release inhibitory factor(s) of active pump activity in isolated lymph vessels
First Department of Physiology, Shinshu University School of Medicine, Shinshu University Graduate School of Medicine, Matsumoto 390-8621, Japan
Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 281:C1812-8. 2001
..cell line (LLC) can regulate lymphatic pump activity with bioassay preparations isolated from murine iliac lymph vessels...
- Exogenous normal lymph alleviates lipopolysaccharide-induced acute kidney injury in rats
Zi gang Zhao
Institute of Microcirculation, Hebei North University, Zhangjiakou, Hebei, PR China
Ren Fail 35:806-11. 2013
..circulation plays an important regulatory role in the pathogenesis of hemorrhage shock, and that exogenous normal lymph (ENL) has a beneficial effect on multiple organ injuries...
- Anatomic and functional evaluation of the lymphatics and lymph nodes in diagnosis of lymphatic circulation disorders with contrast magnetic resonance lymphangiography
Ning Fei Liu
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Shanghai 9th People s Hospital, Shanghai Jiao Tong University School of Medicine, Shanghai, China
J Vasc Surg 49:980-7. 2009
..This study evaluated the anatomic and functional images of contrast MR lymphangiography in the diagnosis of limb lymphatic circulation disorders...
- Infection of dendritic cells by the Maedi-Visna lentivirus
Centre for Veterinary Science, Department of Clinical Veterinary Medicine, University of Cambridge, Cambridge CB3 OES, United Kingdom
J Virol 74:10096-103. 2000
..The results of the in vivo infection experiments are supported by infections of purified afferent lymph dendritic cells in vitro, in which late reverse transcriptase products are demonstrated by PCR...
- Lipid composition and lipopolysaccharide binding capacity of lipoproteins in plasma and lymph of patients with systemic inflammatory response syndrome and multiple organ failure
Johannes H M Levels
Department of Vascular Medicine, Academic Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Crit Care Med 31:1647-53. 2003
..Lipoproteins (in particular, high-density lipoproteins) sequester LPS, thereby acting as a humoral detoxification mechanism...
- Inhibition of the active lymph pump by flow in rat mesenteric lymphatics and thoracic duct
Anatoliy A Gashev
Department of Medical Physiology, Cardiovascular Research Institute, College of Medicine, Texas A and M University System Health Science Center, 336 Reynolds Medical Building, College Station, TX 77843 1114, USA
J Physiol 540:1023-37. 2002
There are only a few reports of the influence of imposed flow on an active lymph pump under conditions of controlled intraluminal pressure. Thus, the mechanisms are not clearly defined...
- Intravenous injection of trauma-hemorrhagic shock mesenteric lymph causes lung injury that is dependent upon activation of the inducible nitric oxide synthase pathway
Department of Surgery, New Jersey Medical School, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, Newark, NJ 07103, USA
Ann Surg 246:822-30. 2007
To test the hypothesis that gut-derived factors carried in trauma-hemorrhagic shock (T/HS) lymph is sufficient to induce lung injury...
- Contractile physiology of lymphatics
David C Zawieja
Department of Systems Biology and Translational Medicine, Cardiovascular Research Institute Division of Lymphatic Biology, Texas A and M Health Science Center College of Medicine, Temple, Texas 77843 1114, USA
Lymphat Res Biol 7:87-96. 2009
..Thus, the principal task of the lymphatic vascular system is transport. The body must impart energy to the lymph via pumping mechanisms to propel it along the lymphatic network and use pumps and valves to generate lymph flow ..
- Kinetics of the local immune response in the gastric lymph of lambs after primary and challenge infection with Teladorsagia circumcincta
A M Halliday
Moredun Research Institute, Pentlands Science Park, Bush Loan, Penicuik, UK
Parasite Immunol 32:81-90. 2010
..from the previously infected sheep, and secondary cellular and humoral responses were observed in the gastric lymph. Increases in CD4+ and CD25+ T lymphoblast traffic on day 3, followed by CD21+ and IgA+ lymphoblasts on day 5, and ..
- Lymph circulation in the liver
Department of Anatomy, Faculty of Medicine and Graduate School of Medicine and Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Toyama, Toyama, Japan
Anat Rec (Hoboken) 291:643-52. 2008
The liver produces a large amount of lymph, which is estimated to be 25 to 50 % of lymph flowing through the thoracic duct...
- D6 facilitates cellular migration and fluid flow to lymph nodes by suppressing lymphatic congestion
Kit Ming Lee
Division of Immunology, Infection and Inflammation, Glasgow Biomedical Research Centre, University of Glasgow, Glasgow, United Kingdom
Blood 118:6220-9. 2011
..important for efficient flow of antigen-bearing fluid and antigen-presenting cells (APCs) from peripheral sites to lymph nodes (LNs)...
- The gastrointestinal nematode Trichostrongylus colubriformis down-regulates immune gene expression in migratory cells in afferent lymph
Jacqueline S Knight
AgResearch Ltd, Hopkirk Research Institute, Grasslands Research Centre, Palmerston North 4442, New Zealand
BMC Immunol 11:51. 2010
- MRI and quantification of draining lymph node function in inflammatory arthritis
Steven T Proulx
The Center for Musculoskeletal Research, University of Rochester, Rochester, NY 14642, USA
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1117:106-23. 2007
..Using this approach to study synovitis and draining lymph node (LN) function we first demonstrated that the LNs of TNF-Tg mice at 5 months are significantly larger and have ..
- Suppressive effects of the marine carotenoids, fucoxanthin and fucoxanthinol on triglyceride absorption in lymph duct-cannulated rats
Creative Research Initiative Sousei CRIS, Hokkaido University, Kita 21, Nishi 10, Kita ku, Sapporo, Hokkaido, 001 0021, Japan
Eur J Nutr 49:243-9. 2010
..Fucoxanthin isolated from edible seaweeds and its metabolite fucoxanthinol have been recently found to have anti-obesity effects, but the mechanism is not fully understood...
- Fluid and cellular pathways of rat lymph nodes in relation to lymphatic labyrinths and Aquaporin-1 expression
Department of Anatomy, Toyama Medical and Pharmaceutical University, Toyama, Japan
Arch Histol Cytol 66:261-72. 2003
The aim of the present study was to examine the organization of lymph fluid and cellular pathways and distribution of the membrane water channel Aquaporin-1 (AQP-1) in rat lymph nodes...
- Collection of lymph-borne dendritic cells in the rat
Simon W F Milling
Sir William Dunn School of Pathology, University of Oxford, South Parks Road, Oxford OX1 3RE, UK
Nat Protoc 1:2263-70. 2006
..collect antigens in peripheral tissues, and transport and process them for presentation to lymphocytes in draining lymph nodes, but they also regulate the immune response by modulating T-cell differentiation...
- Increased expression of interleukin-5 (IL-5), IL-13, and tumor necrosis factor alpha genes in intestinal lymph cells of sheep selected for enhanced resistance to nematodes during infection with Trichostrongylus colubriformis
AgResearch Limited, Wallaceville Animal Research Center, P O Box 40063, Ward St, Upper Hutt, New Zealand
Infect Immun 73:2175-83. 2005
Cytokine gene expression in cells migrating in afferent and efferent intestinal lymph was monitored for extended time periods in individual sheep experimentally infected with the nematode Trichostrongylus colubriformis...
- [Lymph kinetics with technetium-99m labeled radiopharmaceuticals. Animal studies]
Klinik und Poliklinik fur Nuklearmedizin, Ludwig Maximilians Universitat Munchen, Ziemssenstrasse 1, 80335 München, Germany
Nuklearmedizin 44:156-65. 2005
..Aim of this study was to characterize suitable technetium-99m labeled tracers for lymphoscintigraphy by comparative animal tests...
- Composition and ultrastructure of size subclasses of normal human peripheral lymph lipoproteins: quantification of cholesterol uptake by HDL in tissue fluids
M N Nanjee
Department of Cardiovascular Biochemistry, St. Bartholomew's and the Royal London School of Medicine and Dentistry, Charterhouse Square, London EC1M 6BQ, UK
J Lipid Res 42:639-48. 2001
Peripheral lymph lipoproteins have been characterized in animals, but there is little information about their composition, and none about their ultrastructure, in normal humans...
- Dynamic contrast-enhanced magnetic resonance imaging of tumor-induced lymph flow
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, WA 98109, USA
Neoplasia 10:706-13, 1 p following 713. 2008
The growth of metastatic tumors in mice can result in markedly increased lymph flow through tumor-draining lymph nodes (LNs), which is associated with LN lymphangiogenesis...
- γδ T cell homing to skin and migration to skin-draining lymph nodes is CCR7 independent
Department of Infectious Diseases and Immunology, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Utrecht University, 3584 CL, Utrecht, The Netherlands
J Immunol 188:578-84. 2012
In most species, γδ T cells preferentially reside in epithelial tissues like the skin. Lymph duct cannulation experiments in cattle revealed that bovine dermal γδ T cells are able to migrate from the skin to the draining lymph nodes ..
- Mesenteric lymph return is an important contributor to vascular hyporeactivity and calcium desensitization after hemorrhagic shock
Zi gang Zhao
Institute of Microcirculation, Hebei North University, Hebei, People s Republic of China
Shock 38:186-95. 2012
..In this study, our aims were to determine the effects of mesenteric lymph on vascular reactivity during HS and the mechanisms involved...
- Role of lipase-generated free fatty acids in converting mesenteric lymph from a noncytotoxic to a cytotoxic fluid
Department of Surgery, New Jersey Medical School, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, Newark, New Jersey 07103, USA
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 303:G969-78. 2012
Recent studies have shown that mesenteric lymph plays a very important role in the development of multiple-organ dysfunction syndrome under critical conditions...
- Loss of the intestinal mucus layer in the normal rat causes gut injury but not toxic mesenteric lymph nor lung injury
Susan M Sharpe
Department of Surgery, UMDNJ New Jersey Medical School, Newark, New Jersey 07103, USA
Shock 34:475-81. 2010
..hypothesis is that the injury produced in the gut will result in the production of biologically active mesenteric lymph and consequently distant organ (i.e., lung) injury...
- Lymphatic pump treatment mobilizes leukocytes from the gut associated lymphoid tissue into lymph
Lisa M Hodge
Department of Molecular Biology and Immunology, University of North Texas Health Science Center, Forth Worth, Texas 76107, USA
Lymphat Res Biol 8:103-10. 2010
..This study is the first to document LPT-induced mobilization of leukocytes from the GALT into the lymphatic circulation...
- Effect of ONO1714, a specific inducible nitric oxide synthase inhibitor, on lung lymph filtration and gas exchange during endotoxemia in unanesthetized sheep
First Department of Medicine, Shinshu University School of Medicine, Asahi Matsumoto, Japan
Anesthesiology 101:59-65. 2004
..The current study was designed to examine effects of a newly synthesized and selective inducible nitric oxide synthase inhibitor, ONO1714, on endotoxin-induced lung injury in unanesthetized sheep...
- Lymphatics and lymph in acute lung injury
Department of Medical Sciences, Clinical Physiology, Uppsala University Hospital, Uppsala, Sweden
Curr Opin Crit Care 14:31-6. 2008
b>Lymph flow will be discussed as part of the drainage and fluid balance of lung tissue and abdomen as well as a qualitative analysis of inflammatory processes.
- Impaired T-cell responses to sphingosine-1-phosphate in HIV-1 infected lymph nodes
Joseph C Mudd
Division of Infectious Diseases, Center for AIDS Research, Case Western Reserve University UniversityHospitals Case Medical Center, Cleveland, OH 44106, USA
Blood 121:2914-22. 2013
..We hypothesized that lymphocytes could be sequestered in the HIV-1+ lymph node (LN) through impairments in sphingosine-1-phosphate (S1P) responsiveness...
- The relationship of lymphocytes in blood and in lymph to sleep/wake states in sheep
J B Dickstein
Centre for Sleep and Chronobiology, Toronto Western Hospital, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Sleep 23:185-90. 2000
..Blood and lymph sample were obtained from 5 sheep during periods of slow-wave sleep and wake...
- Shock mesenteric lymph-induced rat polymorphonuclear neutrophil activation and endothelial cell injury is mediated by aqueous factors
Saraswati D Dayal
Department of Surgery, New Jersey Medical School, Newark, New Jersey 07103, USA
J Trauma 52:1048-55; discussion 1055. 2002
After trauma and hemorrhagic shock (T/HS), mesenteric lymph (ML) activates polymorphonuclear neutrophils (PMNs), injures endothelial cells (ECs), and predisposes to lung injury. The involved mediators, however, are unknown...
- Isolation and purification of afferent lymph dendritic cells that drain the skin of cattle
Jayne C Hope
Institute for Animal Health, Compton, Newbury, Berkshire RG20 7NN, UK
Nat Protoc 1:982-7. 2006
..Cannulation of afferent lymphatic vessels allows the isolation of large numbers of lymph DCs. First, lymph nodes that are draining the skin are surgically removed (takes approximately 1 h)...
- Factors in intestinal lymph after shock increase neutrophil adhesion molecule expression and pulmonary leukosequestration
Joseph M Caruso
Department of Surgery, New Jersey Medical School, Newark, New Jersey 07101 1709, USA
J Trauma 55:727-33. 2003
- Cytokines in mammary lymph and milk during endotoxin-induced bovine mastitis
K Persson Waller
Department of Ruminant and Porcine Diseases, National Veterinary Institute, SE 751 89, Uppsala, Sweden
Res Vet Sci 74:31-6. 2003
Cytokine kinetics were examined in milk and in afferent and efferent lymph of the supramammary lymph node after intramammary infusion of endotoxin from Escherichia coli. Cows were sampled 0, 2 and 4h after infusion (p.i.)...
- The addition of SPECT/CT lymphoscintigraphy to breast cancer radiation planning spares lymph nodes critical for arm drainage
Andrea L Cheville
Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 85:971-7. 2013
..cohort study was designed to determine whether the amount of radiation delivered to the nonpathological lymph nodes (LNs) that drain the arm can be significantly reduced by integrating single-photon emission computed ..
- Mesenteric lymph collected during peritonitis or sepsis potently inhibits gastric motility in rats
Department of General and Transplantation Surgery, University Hospital of Tubingen, Tubingen, Germany
J Gastrointest Surg 8:645-52. 2004
..motility is strongly inhibited during peritonitis or sepsis and proinflammatory cytokines released into mesenteric lymph during an acute gastrointestinal insult mediate systemic responses...
- Plasmacytoid dendritic cells migrate in afferent skin lymph
Virologie et Immunologie Moléculaires, UR892 Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, Domaine de Vilvert, Jouy en Josas, France
J Immunol 180:5963-72. 2008
Conventional dendritic cells enter lymph nodes by migrating from peripheral tissues via the lymphatic route, whereas plasmacytoid dendritic cells (pDC), also called IFN-producing cells (IPC), are described to gain nodes from blood via ..
- Assessment of IgE response and cytokine gene expression in pulmonary efferent lymph collected after ovalbumin inhalation during experimental infection of calves with bovine respiratory syncytial virus
Laurel J Gershwin
Department of Pathology, Microbiology, and Immunology, School of Veterinary Medicine, University of California Davis, Davis, CA 95616, USA
Am J Vet Res 72:134-45. 2011
To assess IgE response and cytokine gene expressions in pulmonary lymph collected from bovine respiratory syncytial virus (BRSV)-infected calves after ovalbumin inhalation.
- Nonlinear lymphangion pressure-volume relationship minimizes edema
Arun M Venugopal
Michael E DeBakey Institute, Texas A and M University, College Station, Texas 77843 4466, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 299:H876-82. 2010
..outlet pressures), lymphangions must respond to potentially large increases in transmural pressure by maintaining lymph flow...
- Lack of functioning lymphatics and accumulation of tissue fluid/lymph in interstitial "lakes" in colon cancer tissue
Department of Surgical Research and Transplantology, Medical Research Center, Polish Academy of Sciences, Warsaw
Lymphology 43:158-67. 2010
..The most favorable site of entry of tumor cells to lymphatics seems to be the interface of the tumor and surrounding tissue with open lymphatics...
- Disturbance of lymph circulation develops renal fibrosis in rats with or without contralateral nephrectomy
Department of Nephrology, The Second Affiliated Hospital, Medical College of Shandong University, Jinan, China
Nephrology (Carlton) 13:128-38. 2008
..Here we show the time course of renal lesions caused by long-term ligation of renal hilar lymphatic vessels in rats with or without contralateral nephrectomy...
- DEC-205 expression on migrating dendritic cells in afferent lymph
Daniel R Gliddon
Institute for Animal Health, Compton, Newbury, Berks RG20 7NN, UK
Immunology 111:262-72. 2004
..a 210 000-molecular weight molecule expressed at a high level on the surface of dendritic cells (DCs) in afferent lymph of cattle and evident on cells with the morphology of DCs in lymphoid tissues...
- Intraoperative application of fibrin sealant does not reduce the duration of closed suction drainage following radical axillary lymph node dissection in melanoma patients: a prospective randomized trial in 58 patients
Department of General, Visceral, Thoracic and Vascular Surgery, Medical Faculty of Humboldt University, Charite Universitaetsmedizin Berlin, Charite, Campus Mitte, Chariteplatz 1, 10117 Berlin, Germany
World J Surg 32:1450-5. 2008
Patients suffering from malignant melanoma often require radical lymph node dissection of the axillary nodal basin...
- Manual lymph drainage efficiently reduces postoperative facial swelling and discomfort after removal of impacted third molars
Department of Dermatology and Allergology Phlebo Lymphology and Wound Care Unit, University of Szeged, Hungary
Lymphology 40:138-42. 2007
..severe postoperative edema and pain, and operation on the third molar can cause local inflammation that impairs lymph transport...
- Total and differential leucocyte counts and lymphocyte subpopulations in lymph, afferent and efferent to the supramammary lymph node, during endotoxin-induced bovine mastitis
Department of Medicine, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD, USA
Reprod Domest Anim 42:126-34. 2007
Leucocyte trafficking in afferent and efferent mammary lymph and the supramammary lymph node in cows was examined during 4 h after intramammary infusion of endotoxin from Escherichia coli...
- Dendritic cells, implications on function from studies of the afferent lymph veiled cell
C J Howard
Institute for Animal Health, Near Newbury RG20 7NN, Compton, UK
Vet Immunol Immunopathol 77:1-13. 2000
Studies of afferent lymph veiled cells (ALVC) show that the full biological function of dendritic cells in peripheral tissue is not explained by a simple model in which immature dendritic cells at the body surface take up antigen, ..
- Lymph drainage studied by lymphoscintigraphy in the arms after sentinel node biopsy compared with axillary lymph node dissection following conservative breast cancer surgery
Department of Molecular Medicine and Surgery, Karolinska Institute, Karolinska University Hospital Solna, Stockholm, Sweden
Acta Radiol 48:488-95. 2007
To investigate lymphatic drainage as measured by lymphoscintigraphy in the arms of patients undergoing either sentinel lymph node biopsy (SNB) or axillary lymph node dissection (ALND).
- Intrinsic pump-conduit behavior of lymphangions
Christopher M Quick
College of Veterinary Medicine, 4466 Texas A and M University, College Station, TX 77843 4466, USA
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 292:R1510-8. 2007
..They can act primarily like pumps when actively transporting lymph against a pressure gradient...
- Effect of manual lymph drainage in addition to guidelines and exercise therapy on arm lymphoedema related to breast cancer: randomised controlled trial
Department of Rehabilitation Sciences, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven and Department of Physiotherapy, University Hospitals Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
BMJ 343:d5326. 2011
To determine the preventive effect of manual lymph drainage on the development of lymphoedema related to breast cancer.
- Subcapsular sinus macrophages promote NK cell accumulation and activation in response to lymph-borne viral particles
Institut Pasteur, Dynamics of Immune Responses Unit, Paris, France
Blood 120:4744-50. 2012
..virus Ankara vaccine in mice results in the accumulation of NK cells in the subcapsular area of the draining lymph node and their activation, a process that is strictly dependent on type I IFN signaling...
- [Lymphatic system: Anatomy, histology and physiology]
CHU Saint Eloi, Universite de Montpellier I, centre de compétence maladies lymphatiques constitutionnelles, Service de Medecine Vasculaire, 34295 Montpellier Cedex 5, France
Presse Med 39:1269-78. 2010
..This article provides an overview of current fundamental knowledge relating to lymphoedema based on both the historical anatomy description and the most recent data about lymphangiogenesis...
- Determinants of valve gating in collecting lymphatic vessels from rat mesentery
Michael J Davis
Dept of Medical Pharmacology and Physiology, Univ of Missouri School of Medicine, 1 Hospital Dr, Rm M451, Columbia, MO 65212, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 301:H48-60. 2011
Secondary lymphatic valves are essential for minimizing backflow of lymph and are presumed to gate passively according to the instantaneous trans-valve pressure gradient...
- Characteristics of the active lymph pump in bovine prenodal mesenteric lymphatics
Anatoliy A Gashev
Department of Systems Biology and Translational Medicine, College of Medicine, Cardiovascular Research Institute Division of Lymphatic Biology, Texas A and M Health Science Center, 336 Reynolds Medical Bldg, College Station, TX 77843 1114, USA
Lymphat Res Biol 5:71-9. 2007
..We propose that the prenodal lymphatics have adapted to the local conditions of lymph flow and are functioning differently than the postnodal vessels.
- Engineered chylomicron mimicking carrier emulsome for lymph targeted oral delivery of methotrexate
Drug Delivery Research Laboratory, Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Dr H S Gour Viswavidyalaya, Sagar 470003, MP, India
Int J Pharm 380:181-8. 2009
..The in vivo studies were carried out on albino rats and response was estimated collecting blood and lymph both...
- Trauma-hemorrhagic shock mesenteric lymph from rat contains a modified form of albumin that is implicated in endothelial cell toxicity
Vicki L Kaiser
Department of Surgery, New Jersey Medical School, Newark, New Jersey
Shock 23:417-25. 2005
..Indeed, it has been shown that lymph collected from shocked but not sham-shocked animals causes endothelial cell death, neutrophil activation, and bone ..
- Application of atmospheric pressure chemical ionization liquid chromatography-mass spectrometry in identification of lymph triacylglycerols
Department of Biochemistry and Nutrition, Center for Advanced Food Studies, Technical University of Denmark, Lyngby
J Chromatogr B Biomed Sci Appl 748:425-37. 2000
..liquid chromatography-mass spectrometry was used in the identification of triacylglycerol molecular species in lymph samples from rats given either a structured lipid or safflower oil...
- Clinical assessment of human lymph flow using removal rate constants of interstitial macromolecules: a critical review of lymphoscintigraphy
Division of Cardiac and Vascular Sciences Dermatology, St George s Hospital Medical School, University of London, United Kingdom
Lymphat Res Biol 5:183-202. 2007
..Lymphedema is by definition primarily a disease of impaired lymphatic drainage and lymph flow, and progress in lymphedema research, currently an increasingly active field, requires a clinically viable ..
- CD1a-positive dendritic cells transport the antigen DNCB intracellularly from the skin to the regional lymph nodes in the induction phase of allergic contact dermatitis
R E Hunger
Dermatological Clinic, University of Berne, Switzerland
Arch Dermatol Res 293:420-6. 2001
..hypersensitivity reactions in animals dendritic cells have been reported to transport antigens to the regional lymph nodes...
- Reliable lymphatic drainage to axillary sentinel lymph nodes regardless of tumor location within the breast
Department of Surgery, Division of Surgical Oncology, J Graham Brown Cancer Center, University of Louisville School of Medicine, 315 E Broadway, Louisville, KY 40202, USA
Am J Surg 182:307-11. 2001
..was performed in order to determine whether primary tumor location in breast cancer affects the axillary sentinel lymph node (SLN) identification (ID) rate, the false negative (FN) rate, incidence of axillary nodal metastases, or the ..
- Abdominal lymph flow in an endotoxin sepsis model: influence of spontaneous breathing and mechanical ventilation
Department of Medical Sciences, Clinical Physiology, University Hospital, Uppsala, Sweden
Crit Care Med 34:2792-8. 2006
b>Lymph flow from the abdomen was investigated in a sepsis model...
- Long-term collection and characterization of afferent lymph from the ovine small intestine
Wayne R Hein
AgResearch Limited, Wallaceville Animal Research Centre, P O Box 40063, Ward Street, Upper Hutt, New Zealand
J Immunol Methods 293:153-68. 2004
Reliable methods for long-term collection of afferent lymph draining from the small intestine of sheep are described and validated...
- Mesenteric lymph from rats subjected to trauma-hemorrhagic shock are injurious to rat pulmonary microvascular endothelial cells as well as human umbilical vein endothelial cells
E A Deitch
Department of Surgery, UMDNJ-New Jersey Medical School, Newark 07103, USA
Shock 16:290-3. 2001
Previously, we have documented that gut-derived lymph from rats subjected to trauma/hemorrhagic shock (T/HS) is injurious to human umbilical vein endothelial cells (HUVEC)...
- Burn-induced impairment of cardiac contractile function is due to gut-derived factors transported in mesenteric lymph
Justin T Sambol
Department of Surgery, UMDNJ New Jersey Medical School, Newark 07103, USA
Shock 18:272-6. 2002
..Male rats were subjected to laparotomy with or without mesenteric lymph duct ligation (LDL)...
- Hemorrhagic shock induced up-regulation of P-selectin expression is mediated by factors in mesenteric lymph and blunted by mesenteric lymph duct interruption
C A Adams
Department of Surgery, UMD-New Jersey Medical School, Newark, New Jersey 07103, USA
J Trauma 51:625-31; discussion 631-2. 2001
BACKGROUND: Previous studies have shown that mesenteric lymph duct interruption prevents lung injury and decreases lung neutrophil sequestration after hemorrhagic shock (HS)...
- Molecular and functional analyses of the contractile apparatus in lymphatic muscle
Department of Medical Physiology, Cardiovascular Research Institute, College of Medicine Texas A and M University System Health Science Center, College Station, Texas 77843 1114, USA
FASEB J 17:920-2. 2003
Lymphatics are necessary for the generation and regulation of lymph flow. Lymphatics use phasic contractions and extrinsic compressions to generate flow; tonic contractions alter resistance...
- Effects of primary and secondary intra-abdominal hypertension on mesenteric lymph flow: implications for the abdominal compartment syndrome
Stacey D Moore-Olufemi
Department of Surgery, University of Texas Houston Medical School, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Shock 23:571-5. 2005
..secondary (2 degrees) intra-abdominal hypertension (IAH) on hemodynamics, intestinal fluid balance, and mesenteric lymph flow...
- Trauma-hemorrhagic shock mesenteric lymph induces endothelial apoptosis that involves both caspase-dependent and caspase-independent mechanisms
Marson T Davidson
Department of Surgery, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, Newark, New Jersey, USA
Ann Surg 240:123-31. 2004
To determine the mechanism by which gut-derived factors present in mesenteric lymph from rats subjected to trauma-hemorrhagic shock (T/HS) induce endothelial cell death.
- Postshock mesenteric lymph induces endothelial NF-kappaB activation
Sagar S Damle
University of Colorado at Denver, Health Sciences Center, Denver, Colorado 80204, USA
J Surg Res 143:136-40. 2007
Posthemorrhagic shock mesenteric lymph (PSML) has been shown to activate pulmonary endothelial cells and cause lung injury...
- Gelsolin is depleted in post-shock mesenteric lymph
Janeen R Jordan
Department of Surgery, University of Colorado Health Science, Denver, Colorado 80204, USA
J Surg Res 143:130-5. 2007
..We have previously shown that following hemorrhagic shock with splanchnic hypoperfusion, mesenteric lymph contains lipid components that cause neutrophil and EC activation and that protein concentrations are severely ..
- Influence of gut microflora on mesenteric lymph cytokine production in rats with hemorrhagic shock
Department of Surgery, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, New Jersey Medical School, Newark, New Jersey 07103 2714, USA
J Trauma 52:1178-85; disciussion 1185. 2002
..The aim of the present study was to test the hypothesis that the resident gut microflora play a role in modulating gut cytokine production under normal circumstances and in response to tissue injury with or without hemorrhagic shock...
- Quantitative lymph imaging for assessment of lymph function using indocyanine green fluorescence lymphography
Division of Vascular Surgery, Hamamatsu University School of Medicine, Hamamatsu, Shizuoka, Japan
Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg 36:230-6. 2008
A new diagnostic imaging technique that can assess lymph function is needed as a screening test in daily practice. This study assessed the use of indocyanine green (ICG) fluorescence lymphography in subjects without leg oedema.
- The proteome of rodent mesenteric lymph
School of Biological Sciences, Univ of Auckland, Auckland 1023, New Zealand
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 295:G895-903. 2008
Mesenteric lymph contributes to normal homeostasis and has an emerging role in the pathogenesis of multiple organ dysfunction syndrome...
- Tumor-induced sentinel lymph node lymphangiogenesis and increased lymph flow precede melanoma metastasis
Maria I Harrell
Division of Basic Sciences, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Department of Comparative Medicine, University of Washington, 1100 Fairview Ave N, MS C2 023, P O Box 19024, Seattle, WA 98109, USA
Am J Pathol 170:774-86. 2007
..using B16-F10 melanoma cells implanted in syngeneic C57Bl/6 mice, which form tumors metastasizing to draining lymph nodes and subsequently to the lungs...
- Lymphatic smooth muscle: the motor unit of lymph drainage
Pierre Yves von der Weid
Mucosal Inflammation and Smooth Muscle Research Groups, Department of Physiology and Biophysics, Faculty of Medicine, University of Calgary, 3330 Hospital Drive N W, Calgary, Alberta, Canada T2N 4N1
Int J Biochem Cell Biol 36:1147-53. 2004
..Their intrinsic contractile property--the intrinsic lymph pump--through rhythmical and phasic contractions of the vessels, represents the principal mechanism by which lymph ..
- Lung ventilation contributes to vertical lymph movement in anurans
Michael S Hedrick
Department of Biological Sciences, California State University, East Bay, Hayward, CA 94542, USA
J Exp Biol 210:3940-5. 2007
..b>Lymph is ultimately pumped into the venous system by paired, dorsally located lymph hearts...
- Structure and function of rat lymph nodes
Department of Anatomy, Faculty of Medicine and Graduate School of Medicine and Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Toyama, Toyama, Japan
Arch Histol Cytol 71:69-76. 2008
The lymph node comprises a critical crossroad for encounters between antigen presenting cells, antigens from lymph, and lymphocytes recruited into lymph nodes from the blood...
- Afferent lymph-derived T cells and DCs use different chemokine receptor CCR7-dependent routes for entry into the lymph node and intranodal migration
Institute of Immunology, Hannover Medical School, Hannover, Germany
Nat Immunol 12:879-87. 2011
Little is known about the molecular mechanisms that determine the entry into the lymph node and intranodal positioning of lymph-derived cells...
- Pathophysiological aspects of lymphedema of human limbs: I. Lymph protein composition
Waldemar L Olszewski
Department of Surgical Research and Transplantology, Medical Research Center, Polish Academy of Sciences, Warsaw, Poland
Lymphat Res Biol 1:235-43. 2003
The knowledge of humoral and cellular factors retained in tissues affected by ineffective lymph transport is necessary to comprehend the pathological mechanisms of the evolving changes in the extremity...
- Phenotypic diversity of antigen-presenting cells in ovine-afferent intestinal lymph
AgResearch Limited, Wallaceville Animal Research Centre, Upper Hutt, New Zealand
Arch Med Res 33:405-12. 2002
..life history, when these cells leave peripheral tissues and travel via afferent lymphatic vessels to regional lymph nodes...
- Modeling flow in collecting lymphatic vessels: one-dimensional flow through a series of contractile elements
A J MacDonald
School of Engineering, Computer Science and Mathematics, Univ of Exeter, Exeter, UK
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 295:H305-13. 2008
..The computational model is able to reproduce the pumping behavior of the real vessel using a simple contraction function producing fast contraction pulses traveling in the retrograde direction to the flow...
- Entry of gut lymph into the circulation primes rat neutrophil respiratory burst in hemorrhagic shock
J M Adams
Department of Surgery, Division of Trauma, UMDNJ-New Jersey Medical School, Newark, NJ, USA
Crit Care Med 29:2194-8. 2001
..T/HS mesenteric lymph injures endothelial cell and lymph duct ligation (LDL) before T/HS prevents pulmonary injury...
- [Functional anatomy of the lymphatic drainage of the breast: contribution of sentinel lymph node biopsy]
J B Olivier
Departement de Chirurgie, Centre Alexis Vautrin, Avenue de Bourgogne, 54500 Vandoeuvre les Nancy, France
Ann Chir 131:608-15. 2006
..of the literature concerning the functional anatomy of the lymphatic drainage of the breast, observed during interventions of sentinel lymph node biopsy; to compare the descriptive anatomy taking into consideration these new results.
- First-order approximation for the pressure-flow relationship of spontaneously contracting lymphangions
Christopher M Quick
Michael E DeBakey Institute, Texas A and M University, College Station, TX 77843 4466, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 294:H2144-9. 2008
To return lymph to the great veins of the neck, it must be actively pumped against a pressure gradient...
- Relationship between lymph and tissue hyaluronan in skin and skeletal muscle
Shayn E Armstrong
Center for Cardiovascular Sciences, Albany Medical College, New York 12208 3479, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 283:H2485-94. 2002
The size of hyaluronan was compared between tissue and lymph using a combination of agarose gel electrophoresis and radiometric assay. Prenodal lymph was collected from heel skin and the gastrocnemius muscle in anesthetized rabbits...
- The proteome of mesenteric lymph during acute pancreatitis and implications for treatment
Department of Surgery, Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences, University of Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
JOP 10:130-42. 2009
The protein fraction of mesenteric lymph during acute pancreatitis and other critical illness is thought to contain toxic factors. However, we do not have a complete description of the mesenteric lymph proteome during acute pancreatitis.
- Proteome and system ontology of hemorrhagic shock: exploring early constitutive changes in postshock mesenteric lymph
Erik D Peltz
Department of Surgery, School of Medicine, University of Colorado Denver, Aurora, CO 80204, USA
Surgery 146:347-57. 2009
Postshock mesenteric lymph (PSML) is the mechanistic link between splanchnic ischemia reperfusion (IR) and remote organ injury...
- Differences in the induction of CD8+ T cell responses by subpopulations of dendritic cells from afferent lymph are related to IL-1 alpha secretion
J C Hope
Institute for Animal Health, Newbury, Berkshire, United Kingdom
J Leukoc Biol 69:271-9. 2001
The major subset of dendritic cells (DC) from bovine afferent lymph expresses the SIRP alpha MyD-1 antigen, but not CD11a or the antigen recognized by mAb CC81, and potently stimulates CD4+ and CD8+ T lymphocyte proliferation...