Genomes and Genes
Summary: The genetic process by which the adult organism is realized via gradual increases in complexity of structure as opposed to a mere increase in size of preexisting structures. It includes those mechanisms causing the selective gene repression or derepression that restricts the possible fates of cells and eventually leads to their differentiated state.
Publications305 found, 100 shown here
- The epigenomics of cancerPeter A Jones
Department of Urology, Biochemistry, and Molecular Biology, USC Norris Comprehensive Cancer Center, Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA 90089, USA
Cell 128:683-92. 2007....
- Chromatin modifications and their functionTony Kouzarides
The Gurdon Institute and Department of Pathology, University of Cambridge, Tennis Court Road, Cambridge, CB21QN, UK
Cell 128:693-705. 2007..In this way, histone modifications have the potential to influence many fundamental biological processes, some of which may be epigenetically inherited...
- A bivalent chromatin structure marks key developmental genes in embryonic stem cellsBradley E Bernstein
Molecular Pathology Unit and Center for Cancer Research, Massachusetts General Hospital, Charlestown, MA 02129, USA
Cell 125:315-26. 2006..These results highlight the importance of DNA sequence in defining the initial epigenetic landscape and suggest a novel chromatin-based mechanism for maintaining pluripotency...
- High-resolution profiling of histone methylations in the human genomeArtem Barski
Laboratory of Molecular Immunology, National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, NIH, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Cell 129:823-37. 2007..Our data provide new insights into the function of histone methylation and chromatin organization in genome function...
- Epigenetics in cancerManel Esteller
Cancer Epigenetics Laboratory, Spanish National Cancer Research Center, Madrid, Spain
N Engl J Med 358:1148-59. 2008
- Epigenetic programming by maternal behaviorIan C G Weaver
Douglas Hospital Research Center, 6875 LaSalle Blvd, Montreal, Quebec H4H 1R3, Canada
Nat Neurosci 7:847-54. 2004..Thus we show that an epigenomic state of a gene can be established through behavioral programming, and it is potentially reversible...
- DNA methylation landscapes: provocative insights from epigenomicsMiho M Suzuki
The Wellcome Trust Centre for Cell Biology, The University of Edinburgh, Michael Swann Building, The King s Buildings, Edinburgh EH9 3JR, UK
Nat Rev Genet 9:465-76. 2008..Not only is promoter methylation often highly dynamic during development, but many organisms also seem to target DNA methylation specifically to the bodies of active genes...
- Transposable elements and the epigenetic regulation of the genomeR Keith Slotkin
Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, 1 Bungtown Road, Cold Spring Harbor, New York 11724, USA
Nat Rev Genet 8:272-85. 2007..In addition, new insights have been gained into how this silencing has been co-opted to serve essential functions in 'host' cells, highlighting the importance of TEs in the epigenetic regulation of the genome...
- Epigenetics in human disease and prospects for epigenetic therapyGerda Egger
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, USC Norris Comprehensive Cancer Center, Keck School of Medicine of the University of Southern California, 1441 Eastlake Avenue, Room 8302L, Los Angeles, California 90089 9181, USA
Nature 429:457-63. 2004....
- Perceptions of epigeneticsAdrian Bird
Wellcome Trust Centre for Cell Biology, Edinburgh University, The King s Buildings, Edinburgh EH9 3JR, UK
Nature 447:396-8. 2007..It encompasses some of the most exciting contemporary biology and is portrayed by the popular press as a revolutionary new science--an antidote to the idea that we are hard-wired by our genes. So what is epigenetics?..
- Epigenetic differences arise during the lifetime of monozygotic twinsMario F Fraga
Epigenetics Laboratory, Spanish National Cancer Centre CNIO, Melchor Fernandez Almagro 3, 28029 Madrid, Spain
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 102:10604-9. 2005..These findings indicate how an appreciation of epigenetics is missing from our understanding of how different phenotypes can be originated from the same genotype...
- Epigenetic transgenerational actions of endocrine disruptors and male fertilityMatthew D Anway
Center for Reproductive Biology, School of Molecular Biosciences, Washington State University, Pullman, WA 99164 4231, USA
Science 308:1466-9. 2005..The ability of an environmental factor (for example, endocrine disruptor) to reprogram the germ line and to promote a transgenerational disease state has significant implications for evolutionary biology and disease etiology...
- Stability and flexibility of epigenetic gene regulation in mammalian developmentWolf Reik
Laboratory of Developmental Genetics and Imprinting, The Babraham Institute, Cambridge CB22 3AT, UK
Nature 447:425-32. 2007..It is not known whether any of the epigenetic marks has a primary role in determining cell and lineage commitment during development...
- Epigenetics: a landscape takes shapeAaron D Goldberg
Laboratory of Chromatin Biology, The Rockefeller University, New York, NY 10021, USA
Cell 128:635-8. 2007..In this Essay, we examine the epistemology of epigenetics, provide a brief overview of underlying molecular mechanisms, and suggest future challenges for the field...
- Environmental epigenomics and disease susceptibilityRandy L Jirtle
Department of Radiation Oncology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
Nat Rev Genet 8:253-62. 2007..Methods are now becoming available to investigate the relevance of these phenomena to human disease...
- CpG island methylator phenotype underlies sporadic microsatellite instability and is tightly associated with BRAF mutation in colorectal cancerDaniel J Weisenberger
Department of Surgery, University of Southern California Norris Comprehensive Cancer Center, Los Angeles, California 90089 9176, USA
Nat Genet 38:787-93. 2006..Sporadic cases of mismatch repair deficiency occur almost exclusively as a consequence of CIMP-associated methylation of MLH1 . We propose a robust new marker panel to classify CIMP+ tumors...
- Intra-individual change over time in DNA methylation with familial clusteringHans T Bjornsson
Department of Medicine, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
JAMA 299:2877-83. 2008..However, changes in methylation or other epigenetic marks over time in a given individual have not yet been investigated...
- Highly integrated single-base resolution maps of the epigenome in ArabidopsisRyan Lister
Plant Biology Laboratory, The Salk Institute for Biological Studies, 10010 North Torrey Pines Road, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Cell 133:523-36. 2008..Finally, strand-specific mRNA-seq revealed altered transcript abundance of hundreds of genes, transposons, and unannotated intergenic transcripts upon modification of the DNA methylation state...
- How chromatin-binding modules interpret histone modifications: lessons from professional pocket pickersSean D Taverna
Laboratory of Chromatin Biology, The Rockefeller University, New York, New York 10021, USA
Nat Struct Mol Biol 14:1025-40. 2007..Changes in these interactions may have far-reaching implications for human biology and disease, notably cancer...
- The epigenetic progenitor origin of human cancerAndrew P Feinberg
Department of Medicine, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, 720 Rutland Avenue, Baltimore, Maryland 21205, USA
Nat Rev Genet 7:21-33. 2006..Therefore, non-neoplastic but epigenetically disrupted stem/progenitor cells might be a crucial target for cancer risk assessment and chemoprevention...
- Epigenetic regulation in psychiatric disordersNadia Tsankova
Department of Psychiatry and Center for Basic Neuroscience, The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, Texas, USA
Nat Rev Neurosci 8:355-67. 2007....
- Maternal nutrient supplementation counteracts bisphenol A-induced DNA hypomethylation in early developmentDana C Dolinoy
Department of Radiation Oncology and University Program in Genetics and Genomics, Duke University, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:13056-61. 2007..Thus, we present compelling evidence that early developmental exposure to BPA can change offspring phenotype by stably altering the epigenome, an effect that can be counteracted by maternal dietary supplements...
- Genomic DNA methylation: the mark and its mediatorsRobert J Klose
Wellcome Trust Centre for Cell Biology, University of Edinburgh, Michael Swann Building, Mayfield Road, Edinburgh EH9 3JR, UK
Trends Biochem Sci 31:89-97. 2006..Recent studies have illuminated the role of DNA methylation in controlling gene expression and have strengthened its links with histone modification and chromatin remodelling...
- How is pluripotency determined and maintained?Hitoshi Niwa
RIKEN Center for Developmental Biology CDB Laboratory for Development and Regenerative Medicine, Kobe University Graduate School of Medicine, 7 5 1 Kusunokicho, Chuo Ku, Kobe, Hyogo 6500017, Japan
Development 134:635-46. 2007....
- Chromatin signatures of pluripotent cell linesVeronique Azuara
Lymphocyte Development Group, MRC Clinical Sciences Centre, Imperial College School of Medicine, Hammersmith Hospital, Du Cane Road, London W12 ONN, UK
Nat Cell Biol 8:532-8. 2006..Our data suggest that lineage-specific genes are primed for expression in ES cells but are held in check by opposing chromatin modifications...
- Epigenetic reprogramming in mammalsHugh D Morgan
Laboratory of Developmental Genetics and Imprinting, The Babraham Institute, Cambridge, UK
Hum Mol Genet 14:R47-58. 2005..A mechanistic understanding of reprogramming will be crucial for medical applications of stem cell technology...
- Gadd45a promotes epigenetic gene activation by repair-mediated DNA demethylationGuillermo Barreto
Division of Molecular Embryology, German Cancer Research Center, Im Neuenheimer Feld 280, D 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
Nature 445:671-5. 2007..Active demethylation occurs by DNA repair and Gadd45a interacts with and requires the DNA repair endonuclease XPG. We conclude that Gadd45a relieves epigenetic gene silencing by promoting DNA repair, which erases methylation marks...
- Epigenetic inheritance during the cell cycleAline V Probst
Laboratory of Nuclear Dynamics and Genome Plasticity, UMR218 Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique Institut Curie, 26, rue d Ulm, 75231 Paris Cedex 05, France
Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol 10:192-206. 2009..Understanding the dynamics and stability of these marks through the cell cycle is crucial in maintaining a given chromatin state...
- The SRA protein Np95 mediates epigenetic inheritance by recruiting Dnmt1 to methylated DNAJafar Sharif
Tohoku University Biomedical Engineering Research Organization TUBERO, 2 1 Seiryo machi, Aoba ku, Sendai 980 8575, Japan
Nature 450:908-12. 2007..The link between hemi-methylated DNA, Np95 and Dnmt1 thus establishes key steps of the mechanism for epigenetic inheritance of DNA methylation...
- The history of cancer epigeneticsAndrew P Feinberg
Department of Medicine, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21205, USA
Nat Rev Cancer 4:143-53. 2004
- Epigenetic mechanisms in memory formationJonathan M Levenson
Department of Neuroscience, Baylor College of Medicine, One Baylor Plaza, S607, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Nat Rev Neurosci 6:108-18. 2005..Strikingly, the relevant data from the few extant neurobiology-related studies have already indicated a theme - epigenetic mechanisms probably have an important role in synaptic plasticity and memory formation...
- Genome regulation by polycomb and trithorax proteinsBernd Schuettengruber
Institute of Human Genetics, CNRS, 141, rue de la Cardonille, 34396 Montpellier Cedex 5, France
Cell 128:735-45. 2007..Recent work suggests that PcG proteins regulate the nuclear organization of their target genes and that PcG-mediated gene silencing involves noncoding RNAs and the RNAi machinery...
- Effect of in utero and early-life conditions on adult health and diseasePeter D Gluckman
Liggins Institute, University of Auckland, and National Research Centre for Growth and Development, Auckland, New Zealand
N Engl J Med 359:61-73. 2008
- A genome-wide analysis of CpG dinucleotides in the human genome distinguishes two distinct classes of promotersSerge Saxonov
Biomedical Informatics Program, Stanford University, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103:1412-7. 2006....
- Neuronal activity-induced Gadd45b promotes epigenetic DNA demethylation and adult neurogenesisDengke K Ma
Institute for Cell Engineering, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, 733 North Broadway, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Science 323:1074-7. 2009..Thus, Gadd45b links neuronal circuit activity to epigenetic DNA modification and expression of secreted factors in mature neurons for extrinsic modulation of neurogenesis in the adult brain...
- G9a-mediated irreversible epigenetic inactivation of Oct-3/4 during early embryogenesisNirit Feldman
Department of Experimental Medicine, Hebrew University Medical School, Ein Kerem, Jerusalem 91120, Israel
Nat Cell Biol 8:188-94. 2006..Genetic studies show that these epigenetic changes actually have an important role in the inhibition of Oct-3/4 re-expression, thereby preventing reprogramming...
- Promoter CpG methylation contributes to ES cell gene regulation in parallel with Oct4/Nanog, PcG complex, and histone H3 K4/K27 trimethylationShaun D Fouse
Department of Human Genetics, University of California, Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Cell Stem Cell 2:160-9. 2008..Our data suggest that in mES cells promoter methylation represents a unique epigenetic program that complements other regulatory mechanisms to ensure appropriate gene expression...
- Frequent switching of Polycomb repressive marks and DNA hypermethylation in the PC3 prostate cancer cell lineEinav Nili Gal-Yam
Department of Urology, Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, USC Norris Comprehensive Cancer Center, Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA 90089 9181, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 105:12979-84. 2008....
- The genomic landscape of histone modifications in human T cellsTae Young Roh
Laboratory of Molecular Immunology, National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103:15782-7. 2006..Therefore, these regions have a distinctive chromatin modification pattern and thus may represent a distinct class of chromatin domains...
- RNA-mediated non-mendelian inheritance of an epigenetic change in the mouseMinoo Rassoulzadegan
INSERM, U636, F 06108 Nice, France
Nature 441:469-74. 2006..Our results identify an unexpected mode of epigenetic inheritance associated with the zygotic transfer of RNA molecules...
- Early nutrition, epigenetic changes at transposons and imprinted genes, and enhanced susceptibility to adult chronic diseasesRobert A Waterland
Department of Radiation Oncology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
Nutrition 20:63-8. 2004
- Genetic and epigenetic mechanisms for gene expression and phenotypic variation in plant polyploidsZ Jeffrey Chen
Department of Molecular Cell and Developmental Biology and Institute for Cellular and Molecular Biology, University of Texas, Austin, TX 78712, USA
Annu Rev Plant Biol 58:377-406. 2007....
- Epigenetic epidemiology of the developmental origins hypothesisRobert A Waterland
Department of Pediatrics, USDA Children s Nutrition Research Center, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX, USA
Annu Rev Nutr 27:363-88. 2007....
- Stem cells, the molecular circuitry of pluripotency and nuclear reprogrammingRudolf Jaenisch
Whitehead Institute for Biomedical Research, 9 Cambridge Center, Cambridge, MA 02142, USA
Cell 132:567-82. 2008....
- Epigenetic reprogramming by adenovirus e1aRoberto Ferrari
Department of Biological Chemistry, University of California, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Science 321:1086-8. 2008..The temporal order of e1a binding requires its interactions with p300/CBP and RB proteins. Our data uncover a defined epigenetic reprogramming leading to cellular transformation...
- An epigenetic role for maternally inherited piRNAs in transposon silencingJulius Brennecke
Watson School of Biological Sciences, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory CSHL, 1 Bungtown Road, Cold Spring Harbor, NY 11724, USA
Science 322:1387-92. 2008..This indicates that maternally deposited piRNAs are important for mounting an effective silencing response and that a lack of maternal piRNA inheritance underlies hybrid dysgenesis...
- The Polycomb group protein EZH2 directly controls DNA methylationEmmanuelle Viré
Free University of Brussels, Faculty of Medicine, Laboratory of Molecular Virology, 808 Route de Lennik, 1070 Brussels, Belgium
Nature 439:871-4. 2006..Our results suggest that EZH2 serves as a recruitment platform for DNA methyltransferases, thus highlighting a previously unrecognized direct connection between two key epigenetic repression systems...
- Polycomb-mediated methylation on Lys27 of histone H3 pre-marks genes for de novo methylation in cancerYeshayahu Schlesinger
Department of Cellular Biochemistry and Human Genetics, The Hebrew University Hadassah Medical School, Jerusalem 91120, Israel
Nat Genet 39:232-6. 2007..These results suggest that tumor-specific targeting of de novo methylation is pre-programmed by an established epigenetic system that normally has a role in marking embryonic genes for repression...
- CyMATE: a new tool for methylation analysis of plant genomic DNA after bisulphite sequencingJennifer Hetzl
Institute for Computer Graphics and Algorithms, Vienna University of Technology, Favoritenstrasse 9 11, A 1040 Vienna, Austria
Plant J 51:526-36. 2007..CyMATE is freely available for non-commercial use at http://www.gmi.oeaw.ac.at/CyMATE...
- Structural basis for recognition of hemi-methylated DNA by the SRA domain of human UHRF1George V Avvakumov
Structural Genomics Consortium, University of Toronto, 100 College Street, Toronto, Ontario M5G 1L5, Canada
Nature 455:822-5. 2008..The structure, along with mutagenesis data, suggests how UHRF1 acts as a key factor for DNMT1 maintenance methylation through recognition of a fundamental unit of epigenetic inheritance, mCpG...
- Phenotypic plasticity and the epigenetics of human diseaseAndrew P Feinberg
Department of Medicine and Center for Epigenetics, Institute for Basic Biomedical Sciences, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, 720 Rutland Avenue, Baltimore, Maryland 21205, USA
Nature 447:433-40. 2007..Increased understanding of epigenetic-disease mechanisms could lead to disease-risk stratification for targeted intervention and to targeted therapies...
- Epigenetic stem cell signature in cancerMartin Widschwendter
Department of Gynecological Oncology, Institute for Women s Health, University College London, London WC1E 6DH, UK
Nat Genet 39:157-8. 2007....
- The mammalian epigenomeBradley E Bernstein
Molecular Pathology Unit and Center for Cancer Research, Massachusetts General Hospital, Charlestown, MA 02129, USA
Cell 128:669-81. 2007..Here we review current research efforts, with an emphasis on large-scale studies, emerging technologies, and challenges ahead...
- Methylation of histone H3R2 by PRMT6 and H3K4 by an MLL complex are mutually exclusiveErnesto Guccione
Department of Experimental Oncology, European Institute of Oncology IEO, IFOM IEO Campus, Milan 20139, Italy
Nature 449:933-7. 2007....
- Polycomb complexes and epigenetic statesYuri B Schwartz
Department of Molecular Biology and Biochemistry, Rutgers University, 604 Allison Road, Piscataway, NJ 08854, USA
Curr Opin Cell Biol 20:266-73. 2008..What controls the balance between repression and derepression is a crucial question in understanding development and differentiation in higher organisms...
- The tumor suppressor RASSF1A in human carcinogenesis: an updateR Dammann
AG Tumorgenetik der Medizinischen Fakultät, Martin Luther Universitat Halle Wittenberg, Germany
Histol Histopathol 20:645-63. 2005..The tumor suppressor RASSF1A may act as a negative Ras effector inhibiting cell growth and inducing cell death. Thus, RASSF1A may represent an epigenetically inactivated bona fide tumor suppressor in human carcinogenesis...
- Epigenetic properties of white-opaque switching in Candida albicans are based on a self-sustaining transcriptional feedback loopRebecca E Zordan
Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics, 600 16th Street, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94158, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103:12807-12. 2006..Thus, this simple model can account for both the heritability of the white and opaque states and the stochastic nature of the switching between them...
- MGMT promoter methylation and field defect in sporadic colorectal cancerLanlan Shen
Department of Leukemia, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX 77030, USA
J Natl Cancer Inst 97:1330-8. 2005..The DNA repair gene O6-methylguanine-DNA methyltransferase (MGMT) is frequently methylated in colorectal cancer. We hypothesized that MGMT methylation could be one of the mediators of field cancerization in the colon mucosa...
- hDOT1L links histone methylation to leukemogenesisYuki Okada
Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27599, USA
Cell 121:167-78. 2005..Our studies thus establish that mistargeting of hDOT1L to Hoxa9 plays an important role in MLL-AF10-mediated leukemogenesis and suggests that the enzymatic activity of hDOT1L may provide a potential target for therapeutic intervention...
- Reversal of maternal programming of stress responses in adult offspring through methyl supplementation: altering epigenetic marking later in lifeIan C G Weaver
Douglas Hospital Research Center, Montreal, Quebec H4H 1R3, Canada
J Neurosci 25:11045-54. 2005..These results demonstrate that, despite the inherent stability of the epigenomic marks established early in life through behavioral programming, they are potentially reversible in the adult brain...
- DNA methylation profiling of human chromosomes 6, 20 and 22Florian Eckhardt
Epigenomics AG, Kleine Präsidentstrasse 1, 10178 Berlin, Germany
Nat Genet 38:1378-85. 2006..Our data suggest DNA methylation to be ontogenetically more stable than previously thought...
- Bet-hedging and epigenetic inheritance in bacterial cell developmentJan Willem Veening
Molecular Genetics Group, Groningen Biomolecular Sciences and Biotechnology Institute, and Theoretical Biology Group, Centre for Ecological and Evolutionary Studies, University of Groningen, 9751 NN, Haren, The Netherlands
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 105:4393-8. 2008..The extended intergenerational "memory" caused by this autostimulatory network may be important for the development of multicellular structures such as fruiting bodies and biofilms...
- Theoretical analysis of epigenetic cell memory by nucleosome modificationIan B Dodd
Center for Models of Life, Niels Bohr Institute, Blegdamsvej 17, DK 2100, Copenhagen Ø, Denmark
Cell 129:813-22. 2007....
- Downregulation of death-associated protein kinase 1 (DAPK1) in chronic lymphocytic leukemiaAparna Raval
Department of Molecular Virology, Immunology, and Medical Genetics, Human Cancer Genetics Program, The Comprehensive Cancer Center at The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH 43214, USA
Cell 129:879-90. 2007..Thus, reduced expression of DAPK1 can result from germline predisposition, as well as epigenetic or somatic events causing or contributing to the CLL phenotype...
- Epigenetic inactivation of the Wnt antagonist DICKKOPF-1 (DKK-1) gene in human colorectal cancerO Aguilera
Instituto de Investigaciones Biomédicas Alberto Sols and Departamento de Bioquímica, Facultad de Medicina, Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Cientificas Universidad Autonoma de Madrid, Madrid, Spain
Oncogene 25:4116-21. 2006....
- Directly reprogrammed fibroblasts show global epigenetic remodeling and widespread tissue contributionNimet Maherali
Massachusetts General Hospital Cancer Center and Center for Regenerative Medicine, Harvard Stem Cell Institute, 185 Cambridge Street, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Cell Stem Cell 1:55-70. 2007....
- Histone H3.1 and H3.3 complexes mediate nucleosome assembly pathways dependent or independent of DNA synthesisHideaki Tagami
Dana Farber Cancer Institute and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Cell 116:51-61. 2004..This finding provides new insights into possible mechanisms for maintenance of epigenetic information after chromatin duplication...
- Maternal methyl supplements increase offspring DNA methylation at Axin FusedRobert A Waterland
Department of Pediatrics, Baylor College of Medicine, USDA Children s Nutrition Research Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Genesis 44:401-6. 2006..Our results indicate that stochastic establishment of epigenotype at metastable epialleles is, in general, labile to methyl donor nutrition, and such influences are not limited to early embryonic development...
- Regional copy number-independent deregulation of transcription in cancerNicolas Stransky
UMR 144 Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique CNRS Institut Curie, 75248 Paris Cedex 05, France
Nat Genet 38:1386-96. 2006..We validated one candidate region experimentally, demonstrating histone methylation leading to the loss of expression of neighboring genes without DNA methylation...
- Cancer epigenomics: DNA methylomes and histone-modification mapsManel Esteller
Cancer Epigenetics Laboratory, Spanish National Cancer Centre CNIO, Melchor Fernandez Almagro 3, 28029 Madrid, Spain
Nat Rev Genet 8:286-98. 2007..It is time to 'upgrade' cancer epigenetics research and put together an ambitious plan to tackle the many unanswered questions in this field using epigenomics approaches...
- Genomic patterns of DNA methylation: targets and function of an epigenetic markMichael Weber
Friedrich Miescher Institute for Biomedical Research, Maulbeerstrasse 66, CH 4058 Basel, Switzerland
Curr Opin Cell Biol 19:273-80. 2007..How frequently such dynamic methylation occurs, its biological relevance and the pathways involved deserve investigation...
- Estrogen receptor-alpha directs ordered, cyclical, and combinatorial recruitment of cofactors on a natural target promoterRaphaël Métivier
European Molecular Biology Laboratory, Meyerhofstrasse 1, D 69117 Heidelberg, Germany
Cell 115:751-63. 2003....
- Heterochromatin revisitedShiv I S Grewal
Laboratory of Molecular Cell Biology, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
Nat Rev Genet 8:35-46. 2007....
- Dietary protein restriction of pregnant rats induces and folic acid supplementation prevents epigenetic modification of hepatic gene expression in the offspringKaren A Lillycrop
Development and Cell Biology, University of Southampton, UK
J Nutr 135:1382-6. 2005..Epigenetic regulation of gene transcription provides a strong candidate mechanism for fetal programming...
- Gene-specific timing and epigenetic memory in oocyte imprintingDiana Lucifero
McGill University, Montreal Children s Hospital Research Institute and Departments of Pediatrics, Human Genetics and Pharmacology and Therapeutics, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H3H 1P3
Hum Mol Genet 13:839-49. 2004..These findings contribute to our understanding of the epigenetic mechanisms underlying imprint acquisition during female germ cell development and have implications for the practice of assisted reproductive technologies...
- Nutritional control of reproductive status in honeybees via DNA methylationR Kucharski
Molecular Genetics and Evolution, ARC Centre for the Molecular Genetics of Development, Research School of Biological Sciences, Australian National University, Canberra ACT 0200, Australia
Science 319:1827-30. 2008....
- Epstein-barr virus latency in B cells leads to epigenetic repression and CpG methylation of the tumour suppressor gene BimKostas Paschos
Department of Virology, Faculty of Medicine, Imperial College London, London, United Kingdom
PLoS Pathog 5:e1000492. 2009..This reprogramming of B cells could have important implications for our understanding of EBV persistence and the pathogenesis of EBV-associated disease, in particular BL...
- Repeat-induced epigenetic changes in intron 1 of the frataxin gene and its consequences in Friedreich ataxiaEriko Greene
Section on Gene Structure and Disease, Laboratory of Molecular and Cellular Biology, National Institute of Diabetes, Digestive and Kidney Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892 0830, USA
Nucleic Acids Res 35:3383-90. 2007..Our results also raise the possibility that the repeat-mediated increases in DNA methylation in the FXN gene in FRDA patients are secondary to the chromatin changes...
- Epigenetics and aging: the targets and the marksMario F Fraga
Cancer Epigenetics Laboratory, Spanish National Cancer Centre CNIO, Melchor Fernandez Almagro 3, 28029 Madrid, Spain
Trends Genet 23:413-8. 2007..Another twist is provided by sirtuins, a family of NAD-dependent deacetylases that act on Lys16 of histone H4, which are emerging as a link between cellular transformation and lifespan...
- Epigenetic regulation by histone methylation and histone variantsPeter Cheung
Department of Medical Biophysics, University of Toronto, Ontario Cancer Institute, 610 University Avenue, Room 10 516, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5G 2M9
Mol Endocrinol 19:563-73. 2005..We also highlight some of the enzymes that mediate histone methylation and discuss the stability and inheritance of this modification...
- Epigenetic interplay between histone modifications and DNA methylation in gene silencingThomas Vaissière
Epigenetics Group, International Agency for Research on Cancer IARC, 150 cours Albert Thomas, F 69008 Lyon, France
Mutat Res 659:40-8. 2008..We also discuss the importance of an epigenetic cross-talk in the protection against genetic changes in response to environmental genotoxins as well as the implication for cancer therapy and prevention...
- Role of the polycomb repressive complex 2 in acute promyelocytic leukemiaRaffaella Villa
Centre de Regulacio Genomica, C Dr Aiguader 88, 08003 Barcelona, Spain
Cancer Cell 11:513-25. 2007..Our results demonstrate that the direct targeting of Polycomb group proteins by an oncogene plays a key role during carcinogenesis...
- Extensive demethylation of repetitive elements during seed development underlies gene imprintingMary Gehring
Howard Hughes Medical Institute HHMI, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center FHCRC, 1100 Fairview Avenue North, Seattle, WA 98109, USA
Science 324:1447-51. 2009..These data suggest that imprinting in plants evolved from targeted methylation of transposable element insertions near genic regulatory elements followed by positive selection when the resulting expression change was advantageous...
- Functional epigenetics identifies a protocadherin PCDH10 as a candidate tumor suppressor for nasopharyngeal, esophageal and multiple other carcinomas with frequent methylationJ Ying
Cancer Epigenetics Laboratory, Sir YK Pao Cancer Center, Department of Clinical Oncology, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, and Department of Pathology, National University Hospital, Singapore
Oncogene 25:1070-80. 2006....
- De novo DNA methylation promoted by G9a prevents reprogramming of embryonically silenced genesSilvina Epsztejn-Litman
Department of Experimental Medicine and Cellular Biochemistry, Hebrew University Medical School, Ein Kerem, Jerusalem 91120, Israel
Nat Struct Mol Biol 15:1176-83. 2008....
- Epigenetic therapy of cancer: past, present and futureChristine B Yoo
USC Norris Comprehensive Cancer Center, Department of Urology, Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California, 1441 Eastlake Avenue, Los Angeles, California 90089, USA
Nat Rev Drug Discov 5:37-50. 2006....
- Intergenic transcripts regulate the epigenetic state of rRNA genesChristine Mayer
German Cancer Research Center, Division of Molecular Biology of the Cell II, D 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
Mol Cell 22:351-61. 2006..The results reveal an important contribution of processed IGS transcripts in chromatin structure and epigenetic control of the rDNA locus...
- Epigenomic profiling reveals DNA-methylation changes associated with major psychosisJonathan Mill
Krembil Family Epigenetic Laboratory, Centre for Addiction and Mental Health, 250 College Street, Toronto, Ontario, M5T 1R8, Canada
Am J Hum Genet 82:696-711. 2008..Our data are consistent with the epigenetic theory of major psychosis and suggest that DNA-methylation changes are important to the etiology of schizophrenia and bipolar disorder...
- An epigenetic activation role of Piwi and a Piwi-associated piRNA in Drosophila melanogasterHang Yin
Department of Cell Biology, Duke University Medical School, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
Nature 450:304-8. 2007..This activating function is probably achieved through interaction with at least 3R-TAS1 piRNA and is essential for germline stem-cell maintenance...
- Gene body-specific methylation on the active X chromosomeAsaf Hellman
Center for Human Genetic Research and Department of Medicine, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, 185 Cambridge Street, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Science 315:1141-3. 2007..These results suggest a relationship between global methylation and expression potentiality...
- What is an epigenetic transgenerational phenotype? F3 or F2Michael K Skinner
Center for Reproductive Biology, School of Molecular Biosciences, Washington State University, Pullman, WA 99164 4231, USA
Reprod Toxicol 25:2-6. 2008..The ability of an environmental compound (e.g. endocrine disruptor) to promote this reprogramming of the germ-line appears to be the causal factor in the epigenetic transgenerational phenotype...
- DNA methylation, insulin resistance, and blood pressure in offspring determined by maternal periconceptional B vitamin and methionine statusKevin D Sinclair
School of Biosciences and School of Veterinary Medicine and Science, University of Nottingham, Sutton Bonington, Leicestershire LE12 5RD, United Kingdom
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:19351-6. 2007....
- Epigenetic memory of an active gene state depends on histone H3.3 incorporation into chromatin in the absence of transcriptionRay Kit Ng
Wellcome Trust Cancer Research UK Gurdon Institute, Tennis Court Road, Cambridge CB2 1QN, UK
Nat Cell Biol 10:102-9. 2008..Hence, we suggest that epigenetic memory helps to stabilize gene expression in normal development; it might also help to account for the inefficient reprogramming in some transplanted nuclei...
- Germ-line epigenetic modification of the murine A vy allele by nutritional supplementationJennifer E Cropley
Victor Chang Cardiac Research Institute, 384 Victoria Street, Darlinghurst 2010, Sydney, Australia
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103:17308-12. 2006..Although other reports have suggested such heritable epigenetic changes, this study demonstrates that a specific mammalian gene can be subjected to germ-line epigenetic change...
- Genome-wide approaches to studying chromatin modificationsDustin E Schones
Laboratory of Molecular Immunology, The National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute, National Institutes of Health, Building 10, Room 7B05, 9, 000 Rockville Pike, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
Nat Rev Genet 9:179-91. 2008..Here we review genome-wide approaches to studying epigenomic structure and the exciting findings that have been obtained using these technologies...
- H2A.Z-mediated localization of genes at the nuclear periphery confers epigenetic memory of previous transcriptional stateDonna Garvey Brickner
Department of Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, and Cell Biology, Northwestern University, Evanston, Illinois, United States of America
PLoS Biol 5:e81. 2007..Therefore, H2A.Z-mediated localization of recently repressed genes at the nuclear periphery represents an epigenetic state that confers memory of transcriptional activation and promotes reactivation...
- Mechanisms of polycomb gene silencing: knowns and unknownsJeffrey A Simon
Department of Genetics, Cell Biology and Development, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis 55455, USA
Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol 10:697-708. 2009..These findings have an impact on the epigenetic programming of gene expression in many biological systems...
- Epigenetic inheritance in plantsIan R Henderson
Department of Molecular, Cell and Developmental Biology, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, University of California, Los Angeles, California 90095, USA
Nature 447:418-24. 2007..Plants use these epigenetic silencing mechanisms extensively to control development and parent-of-origin imprinted gene expression...
- Marking histone H3 variants: how, when and why?Alejandra Loyola
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, MD Anderson Cancer Center, University of Texas, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Trends Biochem Sci 32:425-33. 2007..We review and discuss recent knowledge about how the choice and initial modifications of a specific variant might affect PTM states and eventually the final epigenetic state of a chromosomal domain...
- DNA methylation: the nuts and bolts of repressionTina Branscombe Miranda
Department of Urology, Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Norris Comprehensive Cancer Center, Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, California 90033, USA
J Cell Physiol 213:384-90. 2007..In this review, we will discuss the mechanisms which lead to the long-term silencing of genes and will survey the progression that has been made in determining the targeted mechanisms for de novo DNA methylation...
- DNA methylomes, histone codes and miRNAs: tying it all togetherSonia Guil
Institut d Investigacio Biomedica de Bellvitge, 08907 L Hospitalet, Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain
Int J Biochem Cell Biol 41:87-95. 2009..In this review we discuss microRNA genes that are epigenetically modified in cancer cells, and the role that microRNAs themselves can have as chromatin modifiers...
- FUNCTIONAL ALLELOTYPINGANDREW FEINBERG; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- INTRANUCLEAR TRAFFICKING OF BONE TRANSCRIPTION FACTORSGary Stein; Fiscal Year: 2001....
- Phase1/11 study of 5-aza-2'-deoxycytidine and valproic *Guillermo Garcia Manero; Fiscal Year: 2005..Decitabine will be generously provided by SuperGen (r). Valproic acid is an FDA approved anti-convulsant. ..
- NUTRITIONAL BIOCHEMISTRY AND EPIDEMIOLOGY OF CANCERSteven Zeisel; Fiscal Year: 2006..We are requesting two postdoctoral and six predoctoral trainee positions each year for this purpose. ..
- Identification of Histone Gene Regulatory SequencesGary Stein; Fiscal Year: 2006..These studies will elucidate parameters of growth control that mediate competency for proliferation and cell cycle progression. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Diethanolamine, brain development and adult memorySteven Zeisel; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- FOUR-CORNERS BREAST AND ENDOMETRIAL CANCER STUDYMARTHA OR MARTY SLATTERY; Fiscal Year: 2003..C-peptide, glycosylated hemoglobin, IGF-1, and IGFBP3 will be evaluated with respect to breast and endometrial cancer in a subset of women. ..
- A PROSPECTIVE STUDY OF ALASKA NATIVES & AMERICAN INDIANSMARTHA OR MARTY SLATTERY; Fiscal Year: 2006..The AIAN cohort will serve as a resource to enhance research and training activities of AIAN students interested in health research, health education, and general public health. ..
- INTRAUTERINE ASPHYXIAL ENCEPHALOPATHYPeter Gluckman; Fiscal Year: 2001..By further elucidating the pathogenesis of prenatal and perinatal asphyxial encephalopathy these studies will provide important information towards improving perinatal diagnosis, monitoring and intervention. ..
- Phase I study of 5-aza-2?-deoxycitidine in acute lymphocytic leukemiaGuillermo Garcia Manero; Fiscal Year: 2008..In this proposal, we plan to develop a new form of low-dose chemotherapy, decitabine, for these patients. Early results indicate that this is active and safe. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Cell Cycle Controlling Genes in Adult Acute LymphomaGuillermo Garcia Manero; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- DIET AND SOMATIC MUTATIONS IN COLON CANCERMARTHA OR MARTY SLATTERY; Fiscal Year: 2007..e. p53, K-ras, and microsatellite instability). Differences in colon and rectal tumors will be compared. Additionally data from rectal tumors will be combined with that from colon tumors to define disease pathways. ..
- Growth Factors and Colon CancerMARTHA OR MARTY SLATTERY; Fiscal Year: 2006..This study builds on a unique existing resource to study genetic and environmental associations with colorectal cancer. It will provide insight into colon cancer etiology and therefore avenues to disease prevention. ..
- Genetic Studies of Substance Abuse in Iowa AdopteesRobert Philibert; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Maintenance of blocks-based tools for functional genomicSteven Henikoff; Fiscal Year: 2006..These various components will be packaged to facilitate updates and local implementations. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Mitochondrial Diabetes & Manganic Porphyrin TreatmentDouglas C Wallace; Fiscal Year: 2010..These mice will also be treated with the metalloporphyrinmimetics to determine if these drugs will then delay the development of the symptoms and the accumulation of the somatic mtDNA mutations. ..
- HIN-1,A Novel Putative Breast Tumor Suppressor GeneKornelia Polyak; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Epigenetic regulation of cancer/germ-line antigen gene expressionAdam R Karpf; Fiscal Year: 2010..Furthermore, this study will provide key information relevant for understanding the outcome and improving the future design of clinical vaccine trials for the treatment of ovarian cancer. ..
- Individual differences in maternal behavior in the ratMichael Meaney; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- A Mitochondrial Etiology of AutismDouglas C Wallace; Fiscal Year: 2010..If mitochondrial defects are found, selected patients will be tested using non-invasive biophysical and biochemical tools to determine if they manifest a functional mitochondrial defect. ..
- MBD2 as a Target for Cancer Prevention and TreatmentWilliam Nelson; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Maternal Programming of Gene Expression Through DNA MethylationMICHAEL JOSEPH MEANEY; Fiscal Year: 2010..abstract_text> ..
- Epithelial-stromal cell interactions in breast cancerKornelia Polyak; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Adaptive Physiology of mtDNA Longevity MutationsDouglas Wallace; Fiscal Year: 2008..These mice will be bred the progeny tested for their sensitivity to heat and cold, the biochemistry and physiology of their mitochondria, their exercise physiology, and their longevity. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Green tea-mediated inhibition of aberrant DNA hypermethylation in prostate cancerADAM KARPF; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Mechanisms Regulating Astroglial Lineage DevelopmentMARK MEHLER; Fiscal Year: 2006..These studies will further our understandingof the molecular mechanisms governing the changing profiles of neural lineage elaboration during embryonic cerebralcortical neurogenesis and gliogenesis. ..
- AUA/SBUR Res. Conf.-"Inflammation in Prostate Diseases"William Nelson; Fiscal Year: 2005..Support for this meeting will encourage the future development of urology research by providing mentoring for new investigators as well as education on this emerging research area. ..
- ETHANOL & AIDS CARDIOMYOPATHY--MITOCHONDRIAL CONNECTIONDouglas Wallace; Fiscal Year: 2003..If the GPx1 -/- animals have an increased incidence of myocarditis, then this will indicate that cytosolic oxidative stress is important in induced cardiomyopathy. ..
- Individual Differences in Mesolimbic Dopamine SystemsMichael Meaney; Fiscal Year: 2003..We feel that these studies will provide us with an understanding of the way in which early environmental events might contribute to the development of individual differences in neural systems that mediate drug-seeking behavior. ..
- ALIGNMENT BASED METHODS FOR MOLECULAR SEQUENCE ANALYSISSteven Henikoff; Fiscal Year: 2001..This effort could yield new eukaryotic family members of great importance for understanding epigenetic phenomena, some of which, such as parental imprinting, are relevant to human disease. ..
- REGULATION OF POSTNATAL CORTICAL MULTIPOTENT PROGENITORSMARK MEHLER; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- ANT Defects in Neurodegenerative DiseasesDouglas Wallace; Fiscal Year: 2005..These studies, upon completion, will provide critical new insights into the role of ANTs in mitochondrial function and neurodegenerative diseases. ..
- A thyroid receptor co-activator hypothesis for psychosisRobert Philibert; Fiscal Year: 2005..The net effect will be to produce an independent investigator capable of functional and translational research. ..
- Mechanisms by which GDM Leads to Diabetes in OffspringRebecca Simmons; Fiscal Year: 2005..non-F2 animals. ..
- MITOCHONDRIAL GENETICS AND AGINGDouglas Wallace; Fiscal Year: 2005..Changes in mitochondrial gene expression will be assessed using our Emory Mitochondrial Gene Chip (Mitochip), and the effect of over expression of anti-oxidant genes on longevity will be evaluated by aging studies. ..
- TRAINING PROGRAM IN NEUROBIOLOGY AND BEHAVIORDavid Crews; Fiscal Year: 2003..All of the laboratories comply with NIH requirements. ..
- GENE/DIET EFFECTS ON PLASMA LIPOPROTEIN LEVELSJose M Ordovas; Fiscal Year: 2010..This evidence-based knowledge will contribute to a rational approach toward more effective dietary recommendations aimed to decrease health disparities and to a better CVD prevention. ..
- TNF Alpha In InflammationKathleen Sullivan; Fiscal Year: 2008..Overall, this proposal will define the mechanisms underlying repression of the TNF alpha locus. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Prenatal Factors and Risk of Bipolar DisorderALAN STEWART BROWN; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Orphan nuclear receptor TLX signaling in neural stem cellsYanhong Shi; Fiscal Year: 2010..Each component of the TLX signaling network, either downstream target genes or upstream regulators, will be novel molecular targets for intervening neurodegenerative diseases. ..
- METHYLATION PROFILING IN COLORECTAL CANCERJean Pierre Issa; Fiscal Year: 2003..Ultimately, this work aims at establishing that methylation profiling may carry the same clinical implications as that already established for genetic profiling in neoplasia. ..
- Hormone-induced inflammation and prostate cancerShuk Mei Ho; Fiscal Year: 2009..Results from our studies should help explicate the relation between inflammation and carcinogenesis in the human prostate, a topic of intense debate. ..
- Environmental effects on lupus T cell DNA methylation and gene expressionBruce Richardson; Fiscal Year: 2009..Evidence that dietary modification can ameliorate aberrant gene expression in vitro and disease severity in the murine model will lead to studies extending these results to lupus patients. ..
- Estrogen Receptor-beta and Prostate FunctionShuk Mei Ho; Fiscal Year: 2004..They will also identify new ER-beta/antiestrogen regulating genes and illuminate potential roles of ER-beta in prostate carcinogenesis and utility of ER-beta SERMs in prostate cancer treatment. ..
- Diet and DNA methylation in colon mucosa and adenomasJean Pierre Issa; Fiscal Year: 2007..These studies should provide definitive information on interactions between diet and DNA methylation in human colorectal mucosa and cancer. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Epigenetic Influences on Brain and BehaviorDavid Crews; Fiscal Year: 2004..Specific Aim III. To establish if the different behavioral profiles exhibited in such animals in adulthood are reflected in different patterns of activity in a network of interconnected limbic nuclei. ..
- DNA methylation programming to oocyte environmentKevin Sinclair; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Progesterone-mediated protection against ovarian cancerShuk Mei Ho; Fiscal Year: 2009..Results from this proposal have the potential to generate new strategies for the prevention and treatment of OCa. ..
- Steroid Receptors and Brain Sex DifferencesAnthony P Auger; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- DEVELOPMENTAL INSULT AND BRAIN ANOMALY IN SCHIZOPHRENIAAlan Brown; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- CYP1A1, estrogen metabolism and ovarian carcinogenesisShuk Mei Ho; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Regulation of Apical Polarity in Breast CancerSOPHIE LELIEVRE; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- INDUCIBLE DOMINANT NEGATIVE OF STAT 6 IN MEMORY IGERachel Miller; Fiscal Year: 2002..Both the memory allergic response to antigenic stimulation and the polyclonal IgE response will be studied. In addition, the components of the memory response that are affected by Stat6 activity will be analyzed. (End of Abstract) ..
- TLX Ligands in Neural Stem Cells & NeurodegenerationYanhong Shi; Fiscal Year: 2007..Thus, these studies are directly responsive to the NINDS Collaborative Research in Stem Cell Biology. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Differentiation of ES Cells into Renal EpitheliaGregory Dressler; Fiscal Year: 2006..Since ES cells potentially represent an unlimited supply of renal progenitors, these experiments will lay the foundation for cell based therapies to improve the efficacy of ATN treatment. ..
- Developmental Regulation of MacroH2A1 Chromatin AssemblyTheodore Rasmussen; Fiscal Year: 2009..Research proposed here will provide basic insights into differentiation biology and provide a framework for future attempts to achieve rationally-guided ES cell differentiation. ..
- GENDER-SPECIFIC T CELL HOMING AND AUTOIMMUNITYBruce Richardson; Fiscal Year: 2003..Dr. Richardson anticipates that these studies will identify novel and important mechanisms contributing to the increased incidence and severity of autoimmune disease in women. ..
- DNA Methylation in Colon Cancer MetastasisJean Pierre Issa; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- CELL MIGRATION, CHEMOATTRACTION AND THE RET/GDNF PATHWAYGregory Dressler; Fiscal Year: 2002..In addition to advancing our understanding of basic developmental processes, the mechnisms of migration and invasion by oncogenic RET derived tumor cells will also be illuminated. ..
- PROSTATIC DIFFERENTIATION AND SEX HORMONE METABOLISMShuk Mei Ho; Fiscal Year: 2008..Data from these studies are expected to uncover the underlying mechanisms of early prostate carcinogenesis. ..
- Role of epigenetic changes induced by dietary and environmental factors in cancerZdenko Herceg; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Reproduction of Transgenic Pigs by Nuclear TransplantationRandall S Prather; Fiscal Year: 2010..The third aim is to determine the methylation profile and transcriptional profile of two different types of stem cells as compared to fetal-derived fibroblast-like cells. ..
- DIFFERENTIATION OF BLOOD STEM CELLS INTO LIVER CELLSStewart Sell; Fiscal Year: 2005..If this project is successful, it would overcome a major hurdle in the possible use of hepatic stem cells for treatment of liver failure or ex vivo gene therapy. ..
- FUNCTIONAL DOMAINS AND EXPRESSION OF OLFACTORY RECEPTORSTimothy S McClintock; Fiscal Year: 2010..This project is an integrated approach to understanding the genes whose activity is important for generating the phenotype of mature olfactory sensory neurons and then maintaining these cells in the face of significant challenges. ..
- NEUROENDOCRINE REGULATION OF BEHAVIORJEFFREY BLAUSTEIN; Fiscal Year: 2006....
- Mechanisms of TGFB Signal TransductionAkiko Hata; Fiscal Year: 2007..These studies should provide important insights into TGFbeta-mediated regulation of gene expression, which is of direct relevance to both normal physiology and a variety of disease states. ..
- Biochemical Basis of CENP-A Epigenetic InheritanceSAMANTHA ZEITLIN; Fiscal Year: 2005..These studies will also have direct implications for understanding cancer causation, and applications in gene therapy. ..
- Gene detection in regions linked to Alzheimer's diseaseDimitrios Avramopoulos; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..