Genomes and Genes
Summary: The number of offspring produced at one birth by a viviparous animal.
Publications316 found, 100 shown here
- Programmed hyperphagia due to reduced anorexigenic mechanisms in intrauterine growth-restricted offspringMina Desai
Perinatal Research Laboratories, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, David Geffen School of Medicine, University of California Los Angeles, Torrance, California 90502, USA
Reprod Sci 14:329-37. 2007..Following birth, litter size was standardized, and all offspring were nursed by control dams...
- A missense mutation in growth differentiation factor 9 (GDF9) is strongly associated with litter size in sheepDag I Vage
Centre for Integrative Genetics CIGENE, Department of Animal and Aquacultural Sciences IHA, Norwegian University of Life Sciences UMB, PO Box 5003, N 1432 As, Norway
BMC Genet 14:1. 2013A genome wide association study for litter size in Norwegian White Sheep (NWS) was conducted using the recently developed ovine 50K SNP chip from Illumina...
- Limits to sustained energy intake. VI. Energetics of lactation in laboratory mice at thermoneutralityE Krol
Aberdeen Centre for Energy Regulation and Obesity ACERO, School of Biological Sciences, University of Aberdeen, Aberdeen AB24 2TZ, UK
J Exp Biol 206:4255-66. 2003..1 g day(-1)) was also lower than at 21 degrees C (3.1 g day(-1)). The reduced food intake and low reproductive output in mice lactating at 30 degrees C are consistent with the heat dissipation limit hypothesis...
- A 17 bp deletion in the Bone Morphogenetic Protein 15 (BMP15) gene is associated to increased prolificacy in the Rasa Aragonesa sheep breedLuis V Monteagudo
Department of Anatomy, Embryology and Genetics, Faculty of Veterinary, University of Zaragoza, C Miguel Servet 177, 50013 Zaragoza, Spain
Anim Reprod Sci 110:139-46. 2009..DNA sequence analysis of the GDF9 coding regions detected only a synonymous Single Nucleotide Polymorphism (SNP), apparently not linked to changes in prolificacy...
- Limits to sustained energy intake. XI. A test of the heat dissipation limitation hypothesis in lactating Brandt's voles (Lasiopodomys brandtii)Su Hui Wu
State Key Laboratory of Integrated Management of Pest Insects and Rodents, Institute of Zoology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Datun Lu, Chaoyang, Beijing 100101, China
J Exp Biol 212:3455-65. 2009..In smaller litters the peripheral limitation hypothesis may be more relevant. The importance of heat dissipation limits in species raising exclusively small litters needs to be investigated...
- Excess weight gain during the early postnatal period is associated with permanent reprogramming of brown adipose tissue adaptive thermogenesisXiao Qiu Xiao
Division of Neuroscience, Oregon National Primate Research Center, Oregon Health and Science University, 505 Northwest 185th Avenue, Beaverton, Oregon 97006, USA
Endocrinology 148:4150-9. 2007..The current study investigated the long-term effect of early excess weight gain, through reduced nursing litter size, on body weight regulation and its relation to brown adipose tissue (BAT) thermogenesis...
- Limits to sustained energy intake. II. Inter-relationships between resting metabolic rate, life-history traits and morphology in Mus musculusM S Johnson
Aberdeen Centre for Energy Regulation and Obesity, Department of Zoology, University of Aberdeen, Aberdeen AB24 2TZ, Scotland, UK
J Exp Biol 204:1937-46. 2001..We aimed to examine correlations between RMR measured both prior to breeding and at peak lactation with litter size and litter mass in Mus musculus...
- Early undernutrition leads to long-lasting reductions in body weight and adiposity whereas increased intake increases cardiac fibrosis in male ratsElena Velkoska
Department of Pharmacology, University of Melbourne, Parkville, 3010, Australia
J Nutr 138:1622-7. 2008..This highlights the importance of identifying potential early life risk factors involved in the modulation of childhood nutrition...
- The importance of catch-up growth after early malnutrition for the programming of obesity in male ratFlorence Bieswal
Laboratory of Cell Biology, University of Louvain, Louvain la Neuve, Belgium
Obesity (Silver Spring) 14:1330-43. 2006..To investigate whether catch-up growth after maternal malnutrition would favor the development of obesity in adulthood...
- Construction noise decreases reproductive efficiency in miceSkye Rasmussen
The Comparative Bioscience Center, The Rockefeller University, New York, New York The Tri Institutional Training Program for Laboratory Animal Medicine and Science, New York, New York
J Am Assoc Lab Anim Sci 48:363-70. 2009..b>Litter size, birth weight, incidence of stillborn pups, and rate of neonatal weight gain were analyzed...
- A SNP in the miR-27a gene is associated with litter size in pigsB Lei
Key Laboratory of Pig Genetics and Breeding of Ministry of Agriculture, College of Animal Science, Huazhong Agricultural University, Wuhan, 430070, People s Republic of China
Mol Biol Rep 38:3725-9. 2011..In the present study, miR-27a gene was selected as a candidate gene for litter size due to its biological function, its location near a mummified pigs QTL, and its differentially expressed ..
- Genetic components of litter size variability in sheepM SanCristobal-Gaudy
Laboratoire de Genetique Cellulaire, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, BP 27, 31326 Castanet Tolosan, France
Genet Sel Evol 33:249-71. 2001..in its variability, even though the objective of the breeder is to maximise the frequency of an intermediate litter size rather than the frequency of high litter sizes...
- Pre- and post-weaning piglet performance, sow food intake and change in backfat thickness in a group-housing system for lactating sowsF Hultén
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, Uppsala, Sweden
Acta Vet Scand 38:119-33. 1997..02). G-farm sows consumed 23% more food than C-farm sows during the group-housing period. These results indicate that productivity is lower in the group-housing system, mainly owing to the poor performance of the older sows...
- The imprinted gene DIO3 is a candidate gene for litter size in pigsAlbart Coster
Animal Breeding and Genomics Group, Wageningen University, Wageningen, The Netherlands
PLoS ONE 7:e31825. 2012..10), but had a similar effect as in the first population. The results of this study indicate a possible association between the imprinted gene DIO3 and female fertility traits in pigs...
- Predicting climate change impacts on polar bear litter sizePéter K Molnár
Department of Mathematical and Statistical Sciences, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada T6G 2G1
Nat Commun 2:186. 2011..we use mechanistic energy budget models and data obtainable under current conditions to predict polar bear litter size under future conditions...
- Impact of piglet birth weight, birth order, and litter size on subsequent growth performance, carcass quality, muscle composition, and eating quality of porkA D Beaulieu
Prairie Swine Centre, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada S7H 5N9
J Anim Sci 88:2767-78. 2010The objective of this study was to investigate the relationships among birth weight, birth order, or litter size on growth performance, carcass quality, and eating quality of the ultimate pork product...
- Mammal reproductive strategies driven by offspring mortality-size relationshipsRichard M Sibly
School of Biological Sciences, University of Reading, Reading RG6 6AS, United Kingdom
Am Nat 173:E185-99. 2009..Primates, bats, sloths, and anteaters, which carry their young from birth until weaning, produce litters of one or a few offspring because of the need to transport and care for them...
- Limits to sustained energy intake. I. Lactation in the laboratory mouse Mus musculusM S Johnson
Aberdeen Centre for Energy Regulation and Obesity, Department of Zoology, University of Aberdeen, Aberdeen AB24 2TZ, Scotland, UK
J Exp Biol 204:1925-35. 2001..When the litter size was increased, females did not increase their food intake to match their new litter size...
- DNA polymorphism of 5' flanking region of prolactin gene and its association with litter size in sheepM X Chu
The Key Laboratory of Domestic Animal Genetic Resources and Germplasm Innovation of CAAS, Institute of Animal Science, Chinese Academy of Agricultural Sciences, Beijing, China
J Anim Breed Genet 126:63-8. 2009..05) lambs more than those with AA genotype. These results preliminarily showed that the prolactin locus is either a major gene that influences the high prolificacy in Small Tail Han sheep or is in close linkage with such a gene...
- Negative frequency-dependent selection of sexually antagonistic alleles in Myodes glareolusMikael Mokkonen
Centre of Excellence in Evolutionary Research, Department of Biological and Environmental Science, University of Jyvaskyla, Jyvaskyla, Finland
Science 334:972-4. 2011....
- Developmental plasticity of the microscopic placental architecture in relation to litter size variation in the common marmoset monkey (Callithrix jacchus)J N Rutherford
Institute for Policy Research, Laboratory for Human Biology Research, Department of Anthropology, Northwestern University, Evanston, IL 60208 4100, USA
Placenta 30:105-10. 2009....
- Changes to porcine blastocyst vitrification methods and improved litter size after transferL F S Beebe
School of Veterinary Science, The University of Queensland, St Lucia, Brisbane, QLD 4072, Australia
Theriogenology 64:879-90. 2005..Three recipients became pregnant, farrowing three litters (average litter size, 5.3; 18.8% embryo survival in farrowing sows)...
- Polymorphism of 5' regulatory region of ovine FSHR gene and its association with litter size in Small Tail Han sheepM X Chu
Key Laboratory of Farm Animal Genetic Resources and Utilization of Ministry of Agriculture, Institute of Animal Science, Chinese Academy of Agricultural Sciences, Beijing, 100193, People s Republic of China
Mol Biol Rep 39:3721-5. 2012..89 (P < 0.05) or 0.42 (P < 0.05) lambs more than homozygous ewes (EE genotype) in Small Tail Han sheep, respectively, while there was no significant difference on litter size between EG and EF ewes.
- Ovarian activity and oestrous signs among group-housed, lactating sows: influence of behaviour, environment and productionF Hultén
Department of Clinical Sciences, Division for Comparative Reproduction, Obstetrics and Udder Health, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, Uppsala, Sweden
Reprod Domest Anim 41:448-54. 2006..The present study identifies several factors influencing ovarian activity among group-housed sows, thereby providing tools for the control of lactational ovulation in group-housing systems...
- A diet rich in n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids reduced prostaglandin biosynthesis, ovulation rate, and litter size in miceD Yi
State Key Laboratory of Animal Nutrition, College of Animal Science and Technology, China Agricultural University, Beijing, China
Theriogenology 78:28-38. 2012..of fish oil (rich in n-3PUFAs; N3) or CLA on PGE(2) and PGF(2α) production, ovulation rate, and litter size, using female transgenerational mice as an experimental model...
- Maternal genetic effects set the potential for evolution in a free-living vertebrate populationA J Wilson
Institute of Cell, Animal and Population Biology, University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, UK
J Evol Biol 18:405-14. 2005..119, birth date m2=0.197, natal litter size m2=0.211)...
- Mutation in bone morphogenetic protein receptor-IB is associated with increased ovulation rate in Booroola Mérino ewesP Mulsant
Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, Laboratoire de Genetique Cellulaire, BP, 27, 31326 Castanet Tolosan, France
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 98:5104-9. 2001Ewes from the Booroola strain of Australian Mérino sheep are characterized by high ovulation rate and litter size. This phenotype is due to the action of the FecB(B) allele of a major gene named FecB, as determined by statistical ..
- Effects of sex, litter size and periconceptional ewe nutrition on offspring behavioural and physiological response to isolationC E Hernandez
Liggins Institute, University of Auckland, Private Bag 92019, Auckland, New Zealand
Physiol Behav 101:588-94. 2010..We investigated in sheep the effects of different periods of undernutrition, and of sex and litter size, on offspring behavioural and cortisol responses to isolation stress...
- Differential gene expression in ovaries of pregnant pigs with high and low prolificacy levels and identification of candidate genes for litter sizeAmanda Fernandez-Rodriguez
Departamento de Mejora Genética Animal, Instituto Nacional de Investigacion y Tecnologia Agraria y Alimentaria, Madrid, Spain
Biol Reprod 84:299-307. 2011..a genome scan in an F(2) Iberian × Meishan pig intercross showed several chromosome regions associated with litter size traits in this species...
- Activation of hypothalamic NPY, AgRP, MC4R, AND IL-6 mRNA levels in young Lewis rats with early-life diet-induced obesityA Stofkova
Department of Normal, Pathological and Clinical Physiology, Third Faculty of Medicine, Charles University in Prague, Ke Karlovu 4, 120 00 Prague, Czech Republic
Endocr Regul 43:99-106. 2009..The aim of this work was to study the early-life diet-induced obesity in Lewis rats which are known to be highly susceptible to autoimmunity...
- A mouse model of mitochondrial disease reveals germline selection against severe mtDNA mutationsWeiwei Fan
Center for Molecular and Mitochondrial Medicine and Genetics, University of California, Irvine, CA 92697, USA
Science 319:958-62. 2008..Thus, severe mtDNA mutations appear to be selectively eliminated from the female germ line, thereby minimizing their impact on population fitness...
- Scaling of offspring number and mass to plant and animal size: model and meta-analysisA Jan Hendriks
Department of Environmental Science, Radboud University Nijmegen, PO Box 9010, 6500 GL, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Oecologia 155:705-16. 2008....
- Prolonged inhibition of nitric oxide synthesis in pregnant rats: effects on blood pressure, fetal growth and litter sizeLina Fernández Celadilla
Departamento de Sanidad Animal, Unidad de Reproduccion, Facultad de Veterinaria, Universidad de Leon, Campus de Vegazana, 24007 Leon, Spain
Arch Gynecol Obstet 271:243-8. 2005..Systolic blood pressure (SBP) was recorded daily. On days 6, 11 and 18 of pregnancy the number of sites of implantation, number of embryos, litter size, fetal and placenta weight were determined.
- Postnatal early overnutrition changes the leptin signalling pathway in the hypothalamic-pituitary-thyroid axis of young and adult ratsAnanda Lages Rodrigues
Departamento de Ciencias Fisiologicas, Instituto de Biologia Roberto Alcantara Gomes, Universidade do Estado do Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
J Physiol 587:2647-61. 2009..To induce EO, at the third day of lactation the litter size was reduced to three pups per litter (SL group)...
- Genetic parameters among weight, prolificacy, and wool traits of Columbia, Polypay, Rambouillet, and Targhee sheepC M Bromley
Department of Animal Science, University of Nebraska, Lincoln 68583 0908, USA
J Anim Sci 78:846-58. 2000..Heritability estimates ranged from .03 to .11 for prolificacy traits (litter size at birth and litter size at weaning), from .09 to ...
- Analysis of inbreeding depression in the first litter size of mice in a long-term selection experiment with respect to the age of the inbreedingD Hinrichs
Department of Animal and Aquacultural Sciences, Norwegian University of Life Sciences, As, Norway
Heredity (Edinb) 99:81-8. 2007..The method was applied in a long-term selection experiment on first-litter size in mice. The total pedigree included 74,630 animals with approximately 30,000 phenotypic records...
- Interaction of genetic and environmental programming of the leptin system and of obesity dispositionI Schmidt
Max Planck Institut fur Physiologische und Klinische Forschung, W G Kerckhoff Institut, D 61231 Bad Nauheim, Germany
Physiol Genomics 3:113-20. 2000..Pups were exposed to early postnatal overfeeding by reducing litter size from normally 10-12 to only 4...
- Influence of litter size on the postnatal growth of rat pups: is there a rationale for litter-size standardization in toxicity studies?Ibrahim Chahoud
Institute of Clinical Pharmacology and Toxicology, Charité University Medical School Berlin, Campus Benjamin Franklin, Garystrabetae 5, 14195 Berlin, Germany
Environ Res 109:1021-7. 2009..sizes (or culling) in reproductive toxicity studies has become a common practice because it is believed that litter size affects pup postnatal growth and development...
- Molecular characterization and SNPs analysis of the porcine Deleted in AZoospermia Like (pDAZL) geneY H Zhang
Key Laboratory of Pig Genetics and Breeding of Ministry of Agriculture, Breeding and Reproduction of Ministry of Education, Huazhong Agricultural University, Wuhan 430070, PR China
Anim Reprod Sci 112:415-22. 2009..Associations of two SNPs with litter size traits were assessed in Large White (n=275) and DIV (n=128) pig populations, and the statistical analysis ..
- Detection of quantitative trait loci for reproduction and production traits in Large White and French Landrace pig populationsThierry Tribout
INRA UR337 Station de génétique quantitative et appliquée, 78352 Jouy en Josas, France
Genet Sel Evol 40:61-78. 2008..The design included 51 262 animals recorded for production traits, and 53 205 litter size records were considered...
- Evidence for quantitative trait loci affecting ovulation rate in pigsT A Rathje
Department of Animal Science, University of Nebraska, Lincoln 68583 0908, USA
J Anim Sci 75:1486-94. 1997..001. No significant QTL for litter size or number of mummified pigs were found...
- Epistasis affecting litter size in miceA C Peripato
Department of Biology Genetics, IB, Universidade de Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
J Evol Biol 17:593-602. 2004b>Litter size is an important reproductive trait as it makes a major contribution to fitness...
- Central and peripheral contributions to obesity-associated hypertension: impact of early overnourishmentMargaret J Morris
Department of Pharmacology, The University of Melbourne, Victoria 3010, Australia
Exp Physiol 90:697-702. 2005..Implementation of a high-fat diet at weaning overcame the effect of litter size on body weight from 10 weeks of age...
- Mutations in BMPR-IB and BMP-15 genes are associated with litter size in Small Tailed Han sheep (Ovis aries)M X Chu
Institute of Animal Science, Chinese Academy of Agricultural Sciences, Beijing 100094, China
J Anim Sci 85:598-603. 2007..The Small Tailed Han ewes carrying mutations in both BMPR-IB and BMP-15 genes had greater litter size than those with either mutation alone...
- Time of ovulation and reproductive performance over three parities after treatment of primiparous sows with PG600Anamaria J Vargas
Setor de Suínos, Faculdade de Veterinaria, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, Av Bento Goncalves 9090, CEP 90540 000 Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil
Theriogenology 66:2017-23. 2006..7 and 24.5% (P>0.05) for PG600 and control sows, respectively. In conclusion, PG600 given 24 h after the first weaning reduced the weaning-to-estrus interval and increased the size of the second litter...
- The effect of fast created inbreeding on litter size and body weights in miceMarte Holt
Department of Animal and Aquacultural Sciences, University of Life Sciences, 1432 As, Norway
Genet Sel Evol 37:523-37. 2005..A line selected for large litter size for 124 generations (H) and a control line (K) maintained without selection for the same number of generations ..
- Lactation weight loss influences subsequent reproductive performance of sowsM Y C Thaker
Bilkei Consulting, Dubendorf, Switzerland
Anim Reprod Sci 88:309-18. 2005..Lactation weight losses exerted a negative (P < 0.001) effect on total-born litter sizes in parity 1 versus parity >5 and parity 1 versus parity 2-5 sows at lactation weight losses of >10%...
- Use of ultrasound imaging for early diagnosis of pregnancy and determination of litter size in the mouseP Pallares
Fundacion Centro Nacional de Investigaciones Cardiovasculares Carlos III, Melchor Fernandez Almagro 3, 28029 Madrid, Spain
Lab Anim 43:91-5. 2009Precocity and efficiency of ultrasonography for pregnancy diagnosis and determination of litter size in mice were assessed on a total of 46 adult mice of different lines (19 BALB/c, 15 C57BL/6 and 12 CD1) from Day 4.5 after vaginal plug...
- Preimplantation exposures of murine embryos to estradiol or methoxychlor change postnatal developmentSergei Ya Amstislavsky
Novosibirsk State University, Novosibirsk, Russia
Reprod Toxicol 18:103-8. 2004..0mg of MXC on Days 2-4 of pregnancy in sesame oil. Pregnant control mice were treated with the vehicle only. Litter size, postnatal survival, sex ratio at birth, and anogenital distance (AGD) in offspring of both sexes were examined,..
- Placental insulin-like growth factor II (IGF-II) and its relation to litter size in the common marmoset monkey (Callithrix jacchus)Julienne N Rutherford
Department of Oral Biology, College of Dentistry, University of Illinois at Chicago, 801 S Paulina Street, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Am J Primatol 71:969-75. 2009..Plasticity in placental endocrine and metabolic function is likely to play an important role in the ability of the fetus to sense and accommodate the intrauterine environment and, by extension, the external ecology...
- Analysis of litter size and days to lambing in the Ripollesa ewe. I. Comparison of models with linear and threshold approachesJ Casellas
Grup de Recerca en Remugants, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, 08193 Bellaterra, Spain
J Anim Sci 85:618-24. 2007The analysis focused on model fitting of 2 ewe reproductive traits, litter size, and days to lambing (interval between the introduction of the ram into the flock and the subsequent parturition of the ewes)...
- Particulate urban air pollution affects the functional morphology of mouse placentaMariana Matera Veras
Laboratory of Experimental Air Pollution LIM05, Department of Pathology, School of Medicine, University of Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Biol Reprod 79:578-84. 2008..The findings indicate that urban air pollution affects placental functional morphology. Fetal weights are compromised despite attempts to improve diffusive transport across the placenta...
- The effect of estrogen receptor genotype on litter size and placental traits at term in F2 crossbred giltsBirgitte T T M van Rens
Animal Breeding and Genetics Group, WIAS, Wageningen University, The Netherlands
Theriogenology 57:1635-49. 2002The effect of estrogen receptor (ESR) genotype (two alleles, A and B) on litter size of 275 Large White x Meishan F2 crossbred gilts (73 AA, 126 AB and 76 BB gilts) was tested...
- Genetic approaches to the improvement of fertility traits in the pigA Spötter
Institute of Animal Breeding and Genetics, University of Veterinary Medicine Hannover, Hannover, Bunteweg 17p, 30559 Hannover, Germany
Vet J 172:234-47. 2006One of the major determinants for litter size in pigs is prenatal mortality...
- [FUT1 gene polymorphism and its association with litter size in pigs]Yin Hong Zhang
Department of Laboratory Animal Science, Shanxi Medical University, Taiyuan, China
Yi Chuan 29:52-6. 2007..Univariate analysis of variance components indicated that FUT 1 gene and the type of breeds significantly affected total number born, whereas parities did not. None of these factors significantly affected the number of liveborns...
- Decreasing litter size of marmots over time: a life history response to climate change?Marion Tafani
Universite de Lyon, F 69000, Lyon, France
Ecology 94:580-6. 2013..Here, from a 20-year monitoring study, we document a continuous decrease in litter size of the Alpine marmot (Marmota marmota) since 1990...
- Genetic parameters for litter size in sheep: natural versus hormone-induced oestrusSteven Janssens
K U Leuven, Centre for Animal Genetics and Selection, Department Animal Production, Kasteelpark Arenberg 30, 3001 Leuven, Belgium
Genet Sel Evol 36:543-62. 2004The litter size in Suffolk and Texel-sheep was analysed using REML and Bayesian methods...
- Litter size and infant survivorship in wild groups of cotton-top tamarins (Saguinus oedipus) in ColombiaA Savage
Education and Science Department, Disney s Animal Kingdom, Lake Buena Vista, Florida 32830, USA
Am J Primatol 71:707-11. 2009..However, similar to reports from captive colonies, litter size of wild cotton-top tamarins ranges from 1-3 infants, with twin litters most common...
- Risk factors for stillbirths in two swine farms in the south of BrazilThomaz Lucia
PIGPEL, Faculdade de Veterinaria, Centro de Biotecnologia, Universidade Federal de Pelotas, Caixa Postal 354, CEP 96010 900, RS, Pelotas, Brazil
Prev Vet Med 53:285-92. 2002..vaginal palpation (yes or no); farrowing duration (<4 or > or =4h); mummified fetuses (yes or no); total litter size (<12 or > or =12 piglets); and litter birth weight (<11 or > or =11kg)...
- Embryonic resorption, litter size and sex ratio in the grasscutter, Thryonomys swinderianusB A Owusu
College of Agriculture and Consumer Sciences, School of Agriculture, Department of Animal Science, University of Ghana, Legon, Ghana
Anim Reprod Sci 118:366-71. 2010..The objective of the study was to investigate the effects of embryonic resorption, litter size and parity on sex ratio in the grasscutter...
- Lethal dose and reproductive parameters of p-nonylphenol in ratsC de Jager
Department of Urology, University of Pretoria, South Africa
Arch Androl 46:183-7. 2001..The oral LD50 (median lethal dose) value for rats was 1475 mg/kg. For both males in the reproductive test the litter size after long-term treatment at 50 mg/kg p-NP was smaller than that in the breeding records...
- Polymorphism of insulin-like growth factor 1 gene and its association with litter size in Small Tail Han sheepJ N He
Key Laboratory of Farm Animal Genetic Resources and Germplasm Innovation of Ministry of Agriculture, Institute of Animal Science, Chinese Academy of Agricultural Sciences, Beijing 100193, People s Republic of China
Mol Biol Rep 39:9801-7. 2012..05) in Small Tail Han sheep. These results preliminarily indicated that these polymorphisms of IGF1 gene could be used in molecular marker-assisted selection for sheep breeding programs...
- Increased litter size and super-ovulation rate in congenic C57BL mice carrying a polymorphic fragment of NFR/N origin at the Fecq4 locus of chromosome 9Maria Liljander
Lund Transgenic Core Facility, Department of Experimental Medical Science, Lund University, Lund, Sweden
Genet Res (Camb) 91:259-65. 2009..Q and the NMRI-related NFR/N strain, we recently identified a quantitative trait locus (QTL) influencing litter size. This locus is now denoted Fecq4, and it is present on the murine chromosome 9...
- Bacterial contamination of boar semen affects the litter sizeLuis O Maroto Martin
Laboratory of Protein Chemistry, Institute of Molecular Biology and Biotechnology, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, B 1050 Brussels, Belgium
Anim Reprod Sci 120:95-104. 2010..coli and sperm agglutination, and a negative correlation between sperm agglutination and litter size. One-way ANOVA and post hoc Tukey analysis of 378 litters showed that the litter size is significantly reduced ..
- L1 insertion within SPEF2 gene is associated with increased litter size in the Finnish Yorkshire populationA Sironen
Agrifood Research Finland, MTT, Biotechnology and Food Research, Genomics, Jokioinen, Finland
J Anim Breed Genet 129:92-7. 2012..The L1-insertion within SPEF2 gene was associated with litter size in the first parity. The SPEF2 gene is located adjacent to a candidate gene for litter size in the pig, PRLR...
- Effects of litter size, sex and periconceptional ewe nutrition on side preference and cognitive flexibility in the offspringCarlos E Hernandez
Liggins Institute, University of Auckland, Private Bag 92019, Auckland, New Zealand
Behav Brain Res 204:82-7. 2009....
- Optimizing temperament through litter size in short-lived, iteroparous mammals in seasonal environmentsJana A Eccard
Animal Ecology, University of Potsdam, Potsdam, Germany
Dev Psychobiol 53:585-91. 2011..We suggest, that changes in mean litter size over the course of the breeding season may not only be a product of mothers' age or food availability, but may ..
- Polymorphisms of the prion protein gene and their effects on litter size and risk evaluation for scrapie in Chinese Hu sheepFeng Guan
College of Life Sciences, China Jiliang University, Hangzhou, 310018, People s Republic of China
Virus Genes 43:147-52. 2011..56%). The relationship of PRNP genotype with scrapie risk and litter size showed that the predominant genotypes are corresponded to the risk score of R(1) (1.67%), R(2) (32...
- Mutations in bone morphogenetic protein 15 and growth differentiation factor 9 genes are associated with increased litter size in fat-tailed sheep breedsArash Javanmard
Department of Animal Science, Faculty of Agriculture, Universiti Putra Malaysia, 43400 UPM Serdang, Selangor, Malaysia
Vet Res Commun 35:157-67. 2011The objective of this study was to investigate association between GDF9 and BMP15 gene polymorphism and litter size in fat-tailed sheep, a total of 97 mature ewes from four breeds (Afshari=19; Baluchi=18; Makui=30 and Mehraban=30) were ..
- Unique in utero identification of fetuses in multifetal mouse pregnancies by placental bidirectional arterial spin labeling MRIReut Avni
Department of Biological Regulation, Weizmann Institute of Science, Rehovot, Israel
Magn Reson Med 68:560-70. 2012....
- Conceptus competition for uterine space: different strategies exhibited by the Meishan and Yorkshire pigK A Vonnahme
Department of Animal Science, Iowa State University, Ames 50011, USA
J Anim Sci 80:1311-6. 2002..These data indicate that differences exist in the strategies employed by Meishan and Yorkshire conceptuses in the competition for nutrients during gestation...
- Sow litter size is increased in the subsequent parity when lactating sows are fed diets containing n-3 fatty acids from fish oilR J Smits
Rivalea Australia Pty Ltd, Corowa, New South Wales, 2646 Australia
J Anim Sci 89:2731-8. 2011..However, n-3 sows had a larger subsequent litter size (10.7 ± 0.3 vs. 9.7 ± 0.3 total born; 10.2 ± 0.3 vs. 9.3 ± 0.3 born live; P < 0.05)...
- Preimplantation antagonism of adrenomedullin action compromises fetoplacental development and reduces litter sizeLei Li
Department of Physiology Li Ka Shing Faculty of Medicine, The University of Hong Kong, Pokfulam, Hong Kong SAR, China
Theriogenology 77:1846-53. 2012..starting from gestation Day 8 or Day 14 resulted in fetal-placental growth restriction and reduction in litter size. In this study, the endogenous ADM actions were abolished in the preimplantation period by infusing the ..
- Perinatal supplementation with thymoquinone improves diabetic complications and T cell immune responses in rat offspringGamal Badr
Fetal Programming of Diseases Research Chair, College of Science, King Saud University, Saudi Arabia
Cell Immunol 267:133-40. 2011..Epidemiological studies have shown that the offspring of mothers who experience diabetes mellitus during pregnancy are seven times more likely to develop health complications later in life compared to offspring born to nondiabetic mothers...
- Analysis on DNA sequence of KiSS-1 gene and its association with litter size in goatsG L Cao
Key Laboratory of Farm Animal Genetic Resources and Utilization of Ministry of Agriculture, Institute of Animal Science, Chinese Academy of Agricultural Sciences, Beijing, 100193, People s Republic of China
Mol Biol Rep 37:3921-9. 2010..No significant difference (P > 0.05) was found in litter size between GG and GC. For the 1960-1977 locus, the Jining Grey goat does with genotype -/- had 0.77 (P < 0...
- Reproductive defects are corrected in vitamin d-deficient female rats fed a high calcium, phosphorus and lactose dietLaura E Johnson
Department of Biochemistry, University of Wisconsin Madison, Madison 53706, USA
J Nutr 132:2270-3. 2002..It appears likely that the diminished reproductive performance attributed to vitamin D deficiency is the result of hypocalcemia and/or hypophosphatemia caused by vitamin D deficiency...
- Poor prediction value of sperm head morphometry for fertility and litter size in rabbitF Marco-Jimenez
Laboratorio de Biotecnologia de la Reproduccion, Grupo de Mejora Animal, Instituto de Ciencia y Tecnología Animal, Universidad Politécnica de Valencia Camino de Vera s n, 46071 Valencia, Spain
Reprod Domest Anim 45:e118-23. 2010This study was conducted to investigate the predictive capacity of fertility and litter size of sperm head morphometric measurements when the ejaculates fulfilled the minimum requirements commonly used in artificial insemination (AI)...
- Active immunization against the proregions of GDF9 or BMP15 alters ovulation rate and litter size in miceC Joy McIntosh
School of Biological Sciences, Victoria University of Wellington, Wellington, New Zealand
Reproduction 143:195-201. 2012..These findings are consistent with the hypothesis that the proregions of BMP15 and GDF9, after secretion by the oocyte, have physiologically important roles in regulating ovulation rate and litter size in mice.
- Nutrient mobilization from body tissues as influenced by litter size in lactating sowsS W Kim
Department of Animal Sciences, University of Illinois, Urbana 61801, USA
J Anim Sci 79:2179-86. 2001Twenty-eight primiparous sows were used to study nutrient mobilization among body tissues as influenced by litter size in lactating sows. Litter size was set to 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, or 12 pigs within 48 h postpartum by cross-fostering...
- Farrowing rates and litter size following transfer of vitrified porcine embryos into a commercial swine herdR D A Cameron
School of Veterinary Science, The University of Queensland, St Lucia, Brisbane 4072, QLD, Australia
Theriogenology 61:1533-43. 2004..6 kg (range 0.6-2.6 kg). In conclusion, vitrified zona pellucida intact embryos can be used to transfer genetic material from farm-to-farm with acceptable reproductive performance...
- Decreased oocyte DAZL expression in mice results in increased litter size by modulating follicle-stimulating hormone-induced follicular growthJudith R McNeilly
Medical Research Council Human Reproductive Sciences Unit, Queen s Medical Research Institute, Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Biol Reprod 85:584-93. 2011..If this repression is reduced, as in DAZL het mice, then follicles can grow to the late follicular stage despite declining levels of circulating FSH, thus leading to more follicles ovulating and increased litter size.
- Long-term responses, changes in genetic variances and inbreeding depression from 122 generations of selection on increased litter size in miceM Holt
Department of Animal and Aquacultural Sciences, Agricultural University of Norway, Norway
J Anim Breed Genet 122:199-209. 2005Data on mice selected for litter size over 122 generations have been analysed in order to reveal the effect of long-term selection on responses and changes in variances over a long selection period...
- Genetic parameters for canalisation analysis of litter size and litter weight traits at birth in miceJuan Pablo Gutierrez
Departamento de Produccion Animal, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Av Puerta de Hierro s n 28040 Madrid, Spain
Genet Sel Evol 38:445-62. 2006The aim of this research was to explore the genetic parameters associated with environmental variability for litter size (LS), litter weight (LW) and mean individual birth weight (IW) in mice before canalisation...
- Variation in litter size: a test of hypotheses in Richardson's ground squirrelsThomas S Risch
Department of Biological Sciences, P O Box 599, Arkansas State University, State University, Arkansas 72467 0599, USA
Ecology 88:306-14. 2007We studied litter size variation in a population of Richardson's ground squirrels (Spermophilus richardsonii) in Alberta, Canada, from 1987 to 2004...
- Effects of uteroplacental insufficiency and reducing litter size on maternal mammary function and postnatal offspring growthRachael O'Dowd
Department of Physiology, University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Victoria 3010, Australia
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 294:R539-48. 2008..the effects of uteroplacental insufficiency and intrauterine growth restriction (Restricted) or reducing litter size for normally grown pups (Reduced Litter) on maternal mammary development and function, milk composition, ..
- Polymorphisms of BMPR-IB gene and their relationship with litter size in goatsM X Chu
Key Laboratory for Farm Animal Genetic Resources and Utilization of Ministry of Agriculture, Institute of Animal Science, Chinese Academy of Agricultural Sciences, Beijing, 100193, People s Republic of China
Mol Biol Rep 37:4033-9. 2010..The differences of least squares mean (LSM) for litter size between genotypes AA, AB and BB were non-significant (P > 0.05) in Jining Grey goats...
- Polymorphisms of coding region of BMPR-IB gene and their relationship with litter size in sheepMingXing Chu
Key Laboratory of Farm Animal Genetic Resources and Utilization of Ministry of Agriculture, Institute of Animal Science, Chinese Academy of Agricultural Sciences, Beijing, 100193, China
Mol Biol Rep 38:4071-6. 2011....
- Porcine growth differentiation factor 9 gene polymorphisms and their associations with litter sizeYushan Zhang
College of Animal Science, South China Agricultural University, Guangzhou 510642, China
J Genet Genomics 35:163-9. 2008..In a word, GDF9 may be not associated with pig litter size in extensive populations as per the studies of allele distributions of the four polymorphisms and pilot ..
- Trans-generational exposure to low levels of rhodamine B does not adversely affect litter size or liver function in murine mucopolysaccharidosis type IIIAAinslie L K Roberts
Department of Genetics and Molecular Pathology, SA Pathology, North Adelaide, SA 5006, Australia
Mol Genet Metab 101:208-13. 2010..No alterations in litter size, liver histology or liver function were observed...
- Litter size affects emotionality in adult male ratsE Dimitsantos
Institut de Neurociencies, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, 08193 Bellaterra, Barcelona, Spain
Physiol Behav 92:708-16. 2007The role of natural variations in pre-weaning litter size in rodent adult emotionality and the importance of maternal care as a possible mediating factor have been frequently neglected...
- Litter size is negatively correlated with corticosterone levels in weanling and juvenile laboratory ratsHeiko G Rödel
Department of Animal Physiology, University of Bayreuth, Bayreuth, Germany
Physiol Behav 99:644-50. 2010An animal's environment during early life can strongly affect its physiological development. For example, litter size, i.e...
- Large litter size increases maternal energy intake but has no effect on UCP1 content and serum-leptin concentrations in lactating Brandt's voles (Lasiopodomys brandtii)Xue Ying Zhang
State Key Laboratory of Integrated Management of Pest Insects and Rodents, Institute of Zoology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Datun Lu, Chaoyang, Beijing 100101, People s Republic of China
J Comp Physiol B 178:637-45. 2008..Litter mass was positively related to litter size but there was no difference in pup mass at birth...
- The influence of litter size on brain damage caused by hypoxic-ischemic injury in the neonatal ratElizabeth Oakden
School of Biological Sciences, University of Manchester, Manchester, UK
Pediatr Res 52:692-6. 2002..The present study investigated the influence of litter size on the severity and variability of damage caused by hypoxic-ischemic injury in neonatal rats...
- A genomic scan of porcine reproductive traits reveals possible quantitative trait loci (QTLs) for number of corpora luteaP J Wilkie
Department of Genetics, Cell Biology and Development, College of Biological Sciences, University of Minnesota, St Paul, Minnesota 55108, USA
Mamm Genome 10:573-8. 1999..00027), and gestation length on SSC9 (p-value = 0.00019). Results for additional loci relevant to litter size, number of corpora lutea on SSC15 and 7 (p-value = 0.0029 and 0...
- Lepidium meyenii (Maca) increases litter size in normal adult female miceAna C Ruiz-Luna
Department of Biological and Physiological Sciences, Faculty of Sciences and Philosophy, Universidad Peruana Cayetano Heredia, Lima, Peru
Reprod Biol Endocrinol 3:16. 2005..The present study was aimed to investigate the effects of Maca on several fertility parameters of female mice at reproductive age...
- Selection on mothers and offspring: whose phenotype is it and does it matter?Alastair J Wilson
Institute of Evolutionary Biology, University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh EH9 3JT, United Kingdom
Evolution 59:451-63. 2005..We examined selection regimes on the correlated traits of birth weight, birth date, and litter size in Soay sheep (Ovis aries) using data from a long-term study of a free-living population on the archipelago of ..
- Large litter rearing enhances leptin sensitivity and protects selectively bred diet-induced obese rats from becoming obeseChrista M Patterson
Division of Metabolism, Endocrinology, and Diabetes, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109, USA
Endocrinology 151:4270-9. 2010....
- Is there a relationship between prion protein genotype and ovulation rate and litter size in sheep?T Sweeney
School of Agriculture Food Science and Veterinary Medicine and Conway Institute of Biomolecular and Biomedical Research, University College Dublin, Belfield, Dublin 4, Ireland
Anim Reprod Sci 101:153-7. 2007..there is a relationship between polymorphisms at codons 136, 154 and 171 of the PrP gene and ovulation rate or litter size in sheep. Data were collected from a mixed-aged flock of Belclare ewes, over a 9-year period...
- Models with cytoplasmic effects for birth, weaning, and fleece weights, and litter size at birth for a population of Targhee sheepL D Van Vleck
USDA, ARS, US Meat Animal Research Center, Lincoln, NE 68583 0908, USA
J Anim Sci 81:61-7. 2003..The addition of unusual random effects to the model did not change estimates for the basic parameters. Although some of these effects were significant, especially for BW, the effects on genetic evaluations are likely to be small...
- Physiological pineal effects on female reproductive function of laboratory rats: prenatal development of pups, litter size and estrous cycle in middle ageTakashi Kachi
Department of Anatomy, Hirosaki University School of Medicine, Hirosaki, Japan
Chronobiol Int 23:289-300. 2006..whether and how the pineal or its hormone melatonin influences female reproductive functions, namely the litter size, prenatal development of offsprings, and estrous cyclicity, especially its age-related cessation in a non-..
- Analysis of litter size and average litter weight in pigs using a recursive modelLuis Varona
Genetica i Millora Animal, IRTA, 25198 Lleida, Spain
Genetics 177:1791-9. 2007An analysis of litter size and average piglet weight at birth in Landrace and Yorkshire using a standard two-trait mixed model (SMM) and a recursive mixed model (RMM) is presented...
- AGE-RELATED ALTERATION OF LEYDIG CELL REDOX ENVIRONMENT A RISK FACTOR FOR SUSCEPTKassim Traore; Fiscal Year: 2013..Interestingly, fetal exposures to DEHP have been shown to result in reduced litter size, and, later in life, Leydig cell hyperplasia, testicular atrophy, reduced serum levels of seru testosterone, ..
- Paternal Environmental Exposures and Reproductive Outcomes: A Comparison of in ViDEBORAH ANN HANSEN; Fiscal Year: 2013..In vivo and in vitro parameters include: a) 14.5 dpc placental and fetal weights, and crown to rump lengths;b) full term litter size, birth weights, and 5 week growth rates;and c) gross and microscopic structure.
- Targeted genome modification of guinea pig and sheep using engineered zinc fingerHilda Holcombe; Fiscal Year: 2011..popularity derives from their small size, low relative cost to breed and maintain, short gestation, and large litter size, as well as the vast array of commercially-available reagents and technologies...
- Womb to womb: Programming reproductive development in the female marmoset monkeyJulienne N Rutherford; Fiscal Year: 2013..Marmoset monkeys display natural variation in litter size, with twins and triplets being common...
- PATERNAL OPIOID EXPOSURE IMPARTS BIOBEHAVIORAL DEFICITS IN THEIR OFFSPRINGTheodore J Cicero; Fiscal Year: 2013..with rats, a single morphine injection 24 hours before mating with a drug naive female was sufficient to reduce litter size, markedly increase neonatal mortality and enhance adult offspring sensitivity to analgesic effects of morphine...
- Targeted genome modification of guinea pig and sheep using engineered zinc fingerHilda Holcombe; Fiscal Year: 2012..popularity derives from their small size, low relative cost to breed and maintain, short gestation, and large litter size, as well as the vast array of commercially-available reagents and technologies...
- ContraPest-an oral bait for fertility management of rodent pestsTimothy L Vail; Fiscal Year: 2012..we successfully demonstrated the efficacy of orally administered VCD in reducing primordial follicle number and litter size in R. norvegicus laboratory rats (the same species as the brown rat of NYC)...
- MOLECULAR EVOLUTION IN MAMMALSCHARLES SIBLEY; Fiscal Year: 1992..include the effects of age at first breeding, generation time, germline cell cycles, longevity, body size, litter size, neutral mutation rate, DNA repair efficiency, and possibly others. 5...
- ATRIAL NATRIURETIC PEPTIDE IN RENAL GROWTHROBERT CHEVALIER; Fiscal Year: 1990..To determine factors which may influence the ontogeny of ANP, somatic growth will be accelerated by reducing litter size, while renal growth will be enhanced by uninephrectomy...
- MUTAGENICITY AND FITNESS IMPACTS OF ENVIRONMENTAL TOXINSSABINE LOEW; Fiscal Year: 2000..Reproductive performance of all breeding pairs will be monitored by recording number of pups per breeding pair (litter size), survival of pups to weaning (viability), and mass of pups at birth and weaning...
- Disruption of the SGk1 gene in aldosterone target cells.ANIKO NARAY FEJES TOTH; Fiscal Year: 2002..Preliminary characterizatior of sgk knockout mice will include litter size, fertility, growth and urinary Na and K excretion...
- MOLECULAR BASIS OF THE PED GENE PHENOTYPECarol Warner; Fiscal Year: 1999..The contribution of the Q9 gene to the other aspects of Ped gene phenotype, litter size, birth weight, and weaning weight, will be analyzed...
- WILD DERIVED MOUSE STOCKS--NEW MODELS FOR AGING RESEARCHRichard Miller; Fiscal Year: 2004..mouse stocks typically used for aging research; and (b) to determine whether genes that affect body size, litter size, corticosterone levels, and reproductive maturity have pleiotropic effects on age-sensitive traits such as ..
- THE EFFECTS OF DEXAMETHASONE ON FOLLICULAR DEVELOPMENTLAURA ROCKWELL; Fiscal Year: 2001..administered during the PMSG/hCG priming regimen to immature rats the result was an increase over controls in litter size, ova shed and number of preantral and antral follicles just prior to the endogenous LH surge...
- EARLY HUSBANDRY INFLUENCES ON ADULT PHENOTYPEMICHAEL TORDOFF; Fiscal Year: 2009..The early variables manipulated will be (1) litter size and composition...
- EPIGENETIC EFFECT OF METHOXYCHLOR ON OVARIAN DEVELOPMENTMehmet Uzumcu; Fiscal Year: 2007..Pubertal age and adult ovarian functions such as response to gonadotropins, fertility, litter size, and early aging will be assessed. DNA methylation and critical gene expression (e.g...
- DETERMINANTS OF REPRODUCTIVE COMPETENCE IN CALLITRICIDSSuzette Tardif; Fiscal Year: 2003..Such information can be used to better define long-term captive propagation. The results will also be useful for defining marmosets as models of life history effects on reproduction and maternal health. ..
- The Common Marmoset as a Primate Model of Maternal ObesitySUZETTE D contact TARDIF; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Neural Analysis of Maternal AggressionSTEPHEN GAMMIE; Fiscal Year: 2006..Basic research into sex differences in aggression, then, is important to understanding the biological underpinnings of sex and gender differences in social behavior, health, and disease. ..
- Vanadocenes as a New Class of Spermicidal DrugsOSMOND D CRUZ; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- A Preclinical Model of Adolescent Toluene Abuse in RatsScott Bowen; Fiscal Year: 2005..The model also has the potential to assist in devising effective treatments and prevention strategies for adolescent inhalant abuse. ..
- Phase II SBIR: WHI-07: A Novel Dual-Function MicrobicideOSMOND D CRUZ; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Effects of Maternal Diet on SNS Development in OffspringJames Young; Fiscal Year: 2009..Identifying connections among growth, SNS development and obesity offers a potential means for identifying obesity-prone individuals early in life with the ultimate objective of intervening in an effective and appropriate manner. ..
- Behavioral Effects of Gestational Inhalant Abuse in RatsScott Bowen; Fiscal Year: 2006..Finally, this research has the potential to assist in the design of effective treatments for inhalant abuse. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Stampidine: A Novel Broad-Spectrum Anti-HIV MicrobicideOSMOND D CRUZ; Fiscal Year: 2005..Specific Aims 1 and 2 may provide the foundation for the clinical development of STAMP in Phase II studies as a safe, effective broad-spectrum anti-HIV microbicide without conception-inhibiting functions. ..
- ENVIRONMENTAL TEMPERATURE, SNS DEVELOPMENT AND OBESITYJames Young; Fiscal Year: 2005..The potential impact of changes in sympathetic activity regulated by RPa for glucose and energy metabolism will also be examined. ..
- FLP-102: Rationally Engineered Antiviral ProteinOSMOND D CRUZ; Fiscal Year: 2003..The preclinical data on FLP-102 will be essential to further explore the utility of this novel recombinant PAP mutant for Phase II. ..
- EPIDERMAL GROWTH FACTOR, OBESITY & INSULIN RESISTANCEJames Young; Fiscal Year: 2001..A principal tenet of this proposal is that early life events which predispose animals to become obese differ from those which promote subsequent development in insulin resistance. ..
- METVAN: A Novel Anticancer AgentOSMOND D CRUZ; Fiscal Year: 2003..The knowledge gained from these studies described under Specific Aims 1-2 is expected to facilitate the design of innovative treatment regimens employing METVAN for metastatic breast cancer and brain tumor patients. ..
- PHI-443: Novel Non-Spermicidal Anti-HIV MicrobicideOSMOND D CRUZ; Fiscal Year: 2003..Specific Aims 1 and 2 may provide the foundation for the clinical development of PHI-443 in Phase II studies as a safe, effective broad-spectrum anti-HIV microbicide without conception-inhibiting functions. ..
- PHI 346: A Novel Dual-Function MicrobicideOSMOND D CRUZ; Fiscal Year: 2003..Following successful completion of the Phase I in vivo efficacy studies, gel formulation of PHI-346 will be further explored as a vaginal dual-function microbicide in Phase II. ..
- NOVEL CONTRACEPTIVES WITH ANTI-HIV ACTIVITYOSMOND D CRUZ; Fiscal Year: 2001..The preclinical data on in vivo efficacies of WHI-05 and WHI-07 will be essential to further explore the utility of these novel drugs for clinical studies in human patients. ..
- Self-administration of abused inhalants in miceScott Bowen; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- The Chronobiology of CohabitationMatthew Paul; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Arginine and Ovine Model for Fetal Growth RestrictionGuoyao Wu; Fiscal Year: 2007..This will ultimately promote favorable pregnancy outcomes while saving billions of healthcare dollars in the U.S. and worldwide. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Genetic Regulation of Postnatal Uterine Morphogenesis and FunctionThomas Spencer; Fiscal Year: 2008..This research will help determine important genes for reproduction and help to design clinical therapies to prevent, identify and treat reproductive problems in women. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- NUTRITIONAL COPPER STATUS AND THE NERVOUS SYSTEMJOSEPH ROBERT PROHASKA; Fiscal Year: 2010..AIM 4: We will test the hypothesis that limitation in Cu-dependent ferroxidases lead to lower brain iron and are responsible by comparing rats reared on an iron-fortified diet to restore brain iron. ..
- In Utero Programming of Adult Vascular FunctionMonica Longo; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Mechanism and Molecular Recognition in Human Pyruvate Dehydrogenase ComplexMulchand Patel; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- FGF Regulation of GnRH NeuronsPei San Tsai; Fiscal Year: 2008..In addition, it will reveal if mutations on other genes encoding FGFs/FGFRs are also candidates for these human disorders. ..
- MOUSE MODELS TO STUDY GONADAL TUMOR DEVELOPMENTMartin M Matzuk; Fiscal Year: 2010..Characterization of these mice will lead to important insights into the development of gonadal cancers in men and women and the roles of several proteins in reproductive physiology. ..
- Fetal Swallowing: Central Dipsogenic MechanismsMichael Ross; Fiscal Year: 2007..Furthermore, these studies represent a model to examine the development and function of neuronal pathways and mechanisms regulating fetal physiology. ..
- Modeling Complex Adaptive Social BehaviorJeffrey Schank; Fiscal Year: 2007..Finally, these models will be used to develop Monte Carlo statistical approaches for studying the behavioral development of complex adaptive systems. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- MATERNAL DEHYDRATION--FETAL/AMNIOTIC FLUID HOMEOSTASISMichael Ross; Fiscal Year: 2002..The goal of this project is to determine critical efficacy and fetal safety issues central to maternal DDAVP treatment, prior to widespread clinical use in human pregnancies with oligohydramnios. ..
- LEPTIN & NEUROPEPTIDE-Y ALTERS FETAL SWALLOWING ACTIVITYMichael Ross; Fiscal Year: 2002..In addition, these studies represent a model to examine the development and function of neuronal pathways and mechanisms which regulate fetal physiology. ..
- ENDOTOXIN AND SUSCEPTIBILITY TO TRICHOTHECENE MYCOTOXINSJames Pestka; Fiscal Year: 2002..Over the long term, this research will provide insight into adverse immunologic consequences that may occur in LPS-exposed individuals who are exposed to environmental toxicants." ..
- REGULATION OF MAMMALIAN DIHYDROLIPOAMIDE DEHYDROGENASEMulchand Patel; Fiscal Year: 2002..abstract_text> ..
- DEVELOPMENTAL EFFECTS OF METHLENEDIOXYMETHAMPHETAMINECharles Vorhees; Fiscal Year: 2002..Such data will help identify risks associated with the prenatal use of MDMA on brain and cognitive development. ..
- ENDOTHELIN AND INTRAUTERINE GROWTH RESTRICTIONLARRY THAETE; Fiscal Year: 2002..Cellular localization of ET, ET receptors, and NOS isoforms will be performed with immunocytochemistry. ..
- DIET INDUCED HYPERINSULINEMIA AND BETA CELL FUNCTIONMulchand Patel; Fiscal Year: 2001..This unique rat model has the potential for providing new and significant insight into the "fuel hypothesis" for altered insulin secretory response in response to diet and maternal influences on fetal pancreatic adaptations. ..
- BIODEMOGRAPHY OF GENETIC DISEASEBRUCE CARNES; Fiscal Year: 2003..The results derived from this award will have relevance for the estimation of lower limits to age-specific death rates, upper limits to human longevity, and forecasting life expectancy and the size of the older population. ..
- EFFECTS OF DIOXIN ON TOOTH AND MANDIBLE TRAITS IN MICELarry Leamy; Fiscal Year: 2005..The identification of such genes should allow us to test for potential effects of this toxicant, even at prevailing levels of exposure in human populations, on a myriad of human diseases. ..
- Formation of Infant/Father Social RelationshipHarry Shair; Fiscal Year: 2007..Studies using rats will elucidate the basic building blocks from which the more complex social interactions and attachments of humans are shaped. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Imprint Osmoregulation/Maternally-Dehydrated OffspringMina Desai; Fiscal Year: 2007..We will determine the molecular and cellular mechanism(s) and peripheral renal AVP receptor changes. Finally, we will delineate the critical period during which imprinting of the AVP/osmoregulatory pathway occurs. ..
- Regulation of Key Processes in Oocyte BiologyMartin Matzuk; Fiscal Year: 2007..Compromised fertility in knockout models lacking these oocyte-specific genes would demonstrate that these proteins are potential contraceptive targets and possibly mutated in infertile women. ..
- Mathematic descriptions - multifactorial gene expressionSandra Rodriguez Zas; Fiscal Year: 2006..Our findings constitute stepping-stones for understanding and further studies of human neurological, mental, communication, and aging processes and disorders, giving rise to treatments and cures. ..
- HOX GENE EXPRESSION IN HUMAN ENDOMETRIUMHugh Taylor; Fiscal Year: 2007..These studies will further characterize the molecular mechanisms by which HOX expression is related to normal and pathologic endometrial development. ..
- Renal and Hormonal Mechanisms of Perinatal ProgrammingLORI WOODS; Fiscal Year: 2005..Intrarenal RAS activity will be measured in fetal and newborn animals. Arterial pressure, renal function, and nephron number will be measured in chronically instrumented juvenile and adult offspring. ..
- Prevention of Hip Dysplasia with Thermal EnergyMANDI LOPEZ; Fiscal Year: 2005..The University of Wisconsin provides an exceptional environment for interaction with experts in a variety of fields, and it is well known for its exceptional research programs, especially in the medical sciences. ..
- Mechanisms of Sexual Dimorphism in Perinatal ProgrammingLORI WOODS; Fiscal Year: 2005..Renal renin-angiotensin system components will be measured in the neonatal period, and arterial pressure, renal function, and glomerular number and volume will be measured in juvenile and adult animals. ..
- Parenting, Sibling-Support, and Infant DevelopmentJeffrey French; Fiscal Year: 2008..Finally, we will carefully document qualitative patterns of offspring care toward infants that differ in chimeric status. ..