- Continued evolution of H5N1 influenza viruses in wild birds, domestic poultry, and humans in China from 2004 to 2009
Animal Influenza Laboratory of the Ministry of Agriculture and National Key Laboratory of Veterinary Biotechnology, Harbin Veterinary Research Institute, CAAS, 427 Maduan Street, Harbin 150001, People s Republic of China
J Virol 84:8389-97. 2010
..Our results demonstrate that the H5N1 AIVs circulating in nature have complex biological characteristics and pose a continued challenge for disease control and pandemic preparedness...
- Seroprevalence of Toxoplasma gondii infection in slaughtered chickens, ducks, and geese in Shenyang, northeastern China
College of Animal Science and Veterinary Medicine, Shenyang Agricultural University, Shenyang, Liaoning Province 110866, China
Parasit Vectors 5:237. 2012
In recent years, investigations of Toxoplasma gondii infection in poultry (chickens, ducks, and geese) have been reported worldwide, including China. However, little is known about the prevalence of T...
- Avian influenza shedding patterns in waterfowl: implications for surveillance, environmental transmission, and disease spread
University of Wisconsin, Department of Forest and Wildlife Ecology, 1630 Linden Drive, Madison, Wisconsin 53706, USA
J Wildl Dis 47:566-78. 2011
..of low pathogenic (LP) and highly pathogenic (HP) virus shed via oral and cloacal routes by AI-infected ducks and geese, and how these factors might influence AI epidemiology and virus detection...
- Safety and efficacy in geese of a PER.C6-based inactivated West Nile virus vaccine
Kimron Veterinary Institute, PO Box 12, Bet Dagan 50250, Israel
Vaccine 25:8338-45. 2007
..growth since both the neurovirulent strains NY99 and ISR98 that cause epidemics in humans and high mortality in geese, respectively, could be propagated to high titers (10(9) to 10(10)TCID(50)/ml) on these cells...
- A simple and rapid method for detection of Goose Parvovirus in the field by loop-mediated isothermal amplification
Chongqing Academy of Animal Science, Chongqing 402460, Chongqing, China
Virol J 7:14. 2010
Goose parvovirus (GPV) is a Dependovirus associated with latent infection and mortality in geese. Currently, in a worldwide scale, GPV severely affects geese production...
- Cryptosporidium infection in domestic geese (Anser anser f. domestica) detected by in-situ hybridization
Department of Pathobiology, Institute of Pathology and Forensic Veterinary Medicine, Veterinarplatz 1, A 1210 Vienna, Austria
J Comp Pathol 134:211-8. 2006
..polymerase chain reaction, to examine the bursa of Fabricius (BF), conjunctiva and other tissues from 20 domestic geese aged 16-36 days for the presence of cryptosporidia...
- A rapid fluorescent focus inhibition test for detection of neutralizing antibodies to tick-borne encephalitis virus
Swedish Institute for Infectious Disease Control, Stockholm
J Virol Methods 73:71-5. 1998
- Body condition, migration, and timing of reproduction in snow geese: a test of the condition-dependent model of optimal clutch size
Département de biologie and Centre d études nordiques, Pavillon Vachon, Universite Laval, Sainte Foy, Quebec G1K 7P4, Canada
Am Nat 162:110-21. 2003
..However, after controlling for the seasonal decline, it did not affect clutch size. Our study indicates that geese simultaneously adjust their lay date and clutch size according to their premigration condition and migratory ..
- Prevalence of qnr, aac(6')-Ib-cr, qepA, and oqxAB in Escherichia coli isolates from humans, animals, and the environment
Jiangsu Key Laboratory of Zoonosis, Yangzhou University, Jiangsu, China
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 56:3423-7. 2012
..The prevalence of oqxAB in porcine isolates (51.0%) was significantly higher than that in other isolates. This is the first report of oqxAB-positive isolates from ducks and geese and as early as 1994 from chickens.
- Chimeric West Nile/dengue virus vaccine candidate: preclinical evaluation in mice, geese and monkeys for safety and immunogenicity
Alexander G Pletnev
Laboratory of Infectious Diseases, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892 8133, USA
Vaccine 24:6392-404. 2006
..clinical lot of WN/DEN4Delta30 virus and its further preclinical evaluation for safety and immunogenicity in mice, geese and monkeys...
- Comparison of Campylobacter populations in wild geese with those in starlings and free-range poultry on the same farm
F M Colles
Peter Medawar Building for Pathogen Research, Department of Zoology, University of Oxford, South Parks Road, Oxford OX1 3SY, United Kingdom
Appl Environ Microbiol 74:3583-90. 2008
Wild geese are a potential source of Campylobacter infection for humans and farm animals and have been implicated in at least two large waterborne disease outbreaks...
- Erythrocyte binding preference of 16 subtypes of low pathogenic avian influenza and 2009 pandemic influenza A (H1N1) viruses
Faculty of Veterinary Science, Mahidol University, Nakhonpathom 73170, Thailand
Vet Microbiol 146:346-9. 2010
..Moreover, the 2009 pandemic viruses did not agglutinate both horse and chicken erythrocytes. Our study concluded that goose and guinea pig erythrocytes are the best in HA assay for all subtypes of influenza viruses...
- Goose-type lysozyme gene of the chicken: sequence, genomic organization and expression reveals major differences to chicken-type lysozyme gene
European Molecular Biology Laboratory, Heidelberg, Germany
Biochim Biophys Acta 1090:273-6. 1991
..In addition, goose-type lysozyme displays an overlapping but different tissue expression pattern in chickens than chicken-type lysozyme...
- Avian flu: H5N1 virus outbreak in migratory waterfowl
Joint Influenza Research Center SUMC and HKU, Shantou University Medical College, Shantou 515031, China
Nature 436:191-2. 2005
- Skipping the Baltic: the emergence of a dichotomy of alternative spring migration strategies in Russian barnacle geese
Animal Ecology Group, Centre for Ecological and Evolutionary Studies, University of Groningen, PO Box 14, 9750 AA Haren, The Netherlands
J Anim Ecol 78:63-72. 2009
1. Since the early 1990s, an increasing proportion of barnacle geese, Branta leucopsis, bound for breeding sites in the Russian Arctic delay their departure from the wintering quarters in the Wadden Sea by 4 weeks...
- Personality predicts the use of social information
Ralf H J M Kurvers
Resource Ecology Group, Wageningen University, Droevendaalsesteeg 3a, 6708 PB Wageningen, The Netherlands
Ecol Lett 13:829-37. 2010
..In this study, we studied whether use of social information was related to personality, using barnacle geese, Branta leucopsis, where boldness is a personality trait known to be consistent over time...
- Fatal encephalitis and myocarditis in young domestic geese (Anser anser domesticus) caused by West Nile virus
D E Swayne
U S Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service, Southeast Poultry Research Laboratory, 934 College Station Road, Athens, GA 30605, USA
Emerg Infect Dis 7:751-3. 2001
..In our experiments, WN virus infection of young domestic geese (Anser anser domesticus) caused depression, weight loss, torticollis, opisthotonus, and death with accompanying ..
- Prevalence and diversity of avian influenza viruses in environmental reservoirs
Andrew S Lang
Department of Biology, Memorial University of Newfoundland, St John s, NL A1B 3X9, Canada
J Gen Virol 89:509-19. 2008
- Susceptibility of Canada Geese (Branta canadensis) to highly pathogenic avian influenza virus (H5N1)
Canadian Food Inspection Agency, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Emerg Infect Dis 13:1821-7. 2007
..We examined the susceptibility of Canada geese (Branta canadensis) to HPAI virus (H5N1)...
- West Nile fever in Israel 1999-2000: from geese to humans
Central Virology Laboratory, Public Health Services, Ministry of Health, Chaim Sheba Medical Center, Tel Hashomer, Israel
Ann N Y Acad Sci 951:127-42. 2001
..a serological survey in 1999, which revealed a seroprevalence of (a) 86% in people who had close contact with sick geese, (b) 28% in people in areas along bird migration routes, and (c) 27% in the general population...
- Direct (non-vector) transmission of West Nile virus in geese
Kimron Veterinary Institute, POB 12, Beit Dagan 50250, Israel
Avian Pathol 32:489-94. 2003
..Contact transmission was investigated experimentally as an alternative explanation. A group of 10, 3-week-old geese were inoculated subcutaneously and placed in one insect-proof room with 20 geese of the same age...
- Adapted Tembusu-like virus in chickens and geese in China
State Key Lab of Veterinary Biotechnology, Harbin Veterinary Research Institute of Chinese Academy of Agricultural Sciences, Harbin, China
J Clin Microbiol 50:2807-9. 2012
..Isolates showed high sequence homology to duck TMUVs, and chickens and geese showed signs of egg drop disease after experimental infection with duck TMUV...
- Individualities in a flock of free-roaming greylag geese: behavioral and physiological consistency over time and across situations
University of Ljubljana, Biotechnical Faculty, Slovenia
Horm Behav 51:239-48. 2007
..condition", (2) a "high density feeding condition", (3) a "low density post-feeding situation" and (4) while the geese rested...
- Differential expression profiling of ovarian genes in prelaying and laying geese
College of Animal Science and Technology, Sichuan Agricultural University, Ya an 625014, Sichuan Province, PR China
Poult Sci 88:1975-83. 2009
The identification of the differential expression of genes in the ovaries of egg-laying and prelaying Zi geese is required to improve the laying performance of the geese...
- Co-occurrence of West Nile Fever and circovirus infection in a goose flock in Hungary
Central Veterinary Institute, H 1149 Budapest, Tábornok u 2, Hungary
Avian Pathol 34:408-14. 2005
..outbreak of West Nile Fever characterized by severe neurological symptoms and death in a flock of 3600 6-week-old geese. Ataxia, intermittent torticollis and opisthotonus, incoordination, rhythmic side-to-side movement of the head, ..
- Urochordates carry multiple genes for goose-type lysozyme and no genes for chicken- or invertebrate-type lysozymes
I W Nilsen
Marine Biotechnology and Fish Health, Norwegian Institute of Fisheries and Aquaculture Research, 9291 Tromsø, Norway
Cell Mol Life Sci 60:2210-8. 2003
..Multiple genes from each species may result from separate and lineage-specific duplications followed by functional specialisation...
- A vaccine candidate of attenuated genotype VII Newcastle disease virus generated by reverse genetics
Animal Infectious Disease Laboratory, Yangzhou University, Yangzhou, Jiangsu 225009, China
Vaccine 27:904-10. 2009
- Pathogenicity of a Hong Kong-origin H5N1 highly pathogenic avian influenza virus for emus, geese, ducks, and pigeons
Laura E Leigh Perkins
Southeast Poultry Research Laboratory, United States Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service, Athens, GA 30605, USA
Avian Dis 46:53-63. 2002
..The objective of this study was to ascertain the susceptibility of emus (Dramaius novaehollandiae), domestic geese (Anser anser domesticus), domestic ducks (Anas platyrhynchos), and pigeons (Columba livia) to intranasal (i.n...
- Phylogenetic analysis of the hypervariable region of the 18S rRNA gene of Cryptosporidium oocysts in feces of Canada geese (Branta canadensis): evidence for five novel genotypes
Kristen L Jellison
Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02139, USA
Appl Environ Microbiol 70:452-8. 2004
To assess genetic diversity in Cryptosporidium oocysts from Canada geese, 161 fecal samples from Canada geese in the United States were analyzed. Eleven (6.8%) were positive for Cryptosporidium spp...
- An inactivated West Nile virus vaccine for domestic geese-efficacy study and a summary of 4 years of field application
Kimron Veterinary Institute, P O Box 12, Beit Dagan 50250, Israel
Vaccine 23:4955-8. 2005
Following the isolation in 1997 of West Nile virus from the brains of geese with an acute neuroparalytic disease in Israel, which reappeared in the following years, an inactivated vaccine was prepared from suckling mouse brains...
- Identification of a bacterial inhibitor against g-type lysozyme
Laboratory of Food Microbiology and Leuven Food Science and Nutrition Research Centre, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium
Cell Mol Life Sci 68:1053-64. 2011
..coli to g-type lysozyme. The existence of inhibitors against all major types of animal lysozyme and their contribution to lysozyme tolerance suggest that lysozyme inhibitors may play a role in bacterial interactions with animal hosts...
- Serological survey and risk factors for Toxoplasma gondii in domestic ducks and geese in Lower Saxony, Germany
Friedrich Loeffler Institut, Federal Research Institute for Animal Health, Institute of Epidemiology, Seestraße 55, D 16866 Wusterhausen, Germany
Vet Parasitol 182:140-9. 2011
To obtain estimates for the prevalence of Toxoplasma gondii infection in ducks and geese in Germany, enzyme-linked immunosorbent assays (ELISA) were established based on affinity-purified T...
- Feedback dynamics of grazing lawns: coupling vegetation change with animal growth
Brian T Person
Department of Biology and Wildlife and Institute of Arctic Biology, University of Alaska, Fairbanks, AK 99775, USA
Oecologia 135:583-92. 2003
We studied the effects of grazing by Black Brant (Branta bernicla nigricans) geese (hereafter Brant) on plant community zonation and gosling growth between 1987 and 2000 at a nesting colony in southwestern Alaska...
- An effective method for freezing White Italian gander semen
Poultry Breeding Department, Agricultural University of Wrocław, Poland
Theriogenology 58:19-27. 2002
..from 25 White Italian ganders by dorso-abdominal massage was used immediately for artificial insemination of 10 geese (the control group) with a dose of 80 microl. This insemination was performed six times at weekly intervals...
- Newcastle disease in geese: natural occurrence and experimental infection
Animal Infectious Disease Laboratory, School of Veterinary Medicine, Yangzhou University, Jiangsu, China
Avian Pathol 33:216-21. 2004
A novel disease entity in domestic geese with unusual epidemiology and pathological changes has emerged in some regions of China since the late 1990s...
- Altered porphyrin excretion and histopathology of greylag geese (Anser anser) exposed to soil contaminated with lead and arsenic in the Guadalquivir Marshes, southwestern Spain
Instituto de Investigación en Recursos Cinegéticos IREC, Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Cientificas Universidad de Castilla La Mancha Junta de Comunidades de Castilla la Mancha, Ronda de Toledo s n, 13005 Ciudad Real, Spain
Environ Toxicol Chem 25:203-12. 2006
Greylag geese (Anser anser) in the Guadalquivir Marshes (southwestern Spain) can be exposed to sources of inorganic pollution such as heavy metals and arsenic from mining activities or Pb shot used for hunting...
- Cultural inheritance drives site fidelity and migratory connectivity in a long-distance migrant
Xavier A Harrison
Centre for Ecology and Conservation, University of Exeter, Tremough Campus, Penryn, Cornwall, UK
Mol Ecol 19:5484-96. 2010
..We combined a pedigree of related light-bellied Brent geese (Branta bernicla hrota) with 6 years of observations of marked birds to calculate the dispersal distances of adult ..
- Serological survey of Toxoplasma gondii infection in the domestic goose (Anser domestica) in southern China
College of Veterinary Medicine, South China Agricultural University, Guangzhou, Guangdong Province, China
Zoonoses Public Health 58:299-302. 2011
In the present study, the antibodies to Toxoplasma gondii in 191 farm-bred and 83 house-bred geese (Anser domestica) were assessed for the prevalence of T. gondii infection in southern China with the modified agglutination test...
- Complete genome sequence of a novel flavivirus, duck tembusu virus, isolated from ducks and geese in china
Institute of Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Sciences, Zhejiang Academy of Agricultural Sciences, Hangzhou, China
J Virol 86:3406-7. 2012
..sequences of duck tembusu virus strains YY5, ZJ-407, and GH-2, isolated from Shaoxing ducks, breeder ducks, and geese, respectively, in China...
- Blogger reveals China's migratory goose farms near site of flu outbreak
Nature 441:263. 2006
- Fatty acyl-CoA reductases of birds
Special Botany, Institute for Biology I, RWTH Aachen University, Aachen, Germany
BMC Biochem 12:64. 2011
..Alcohol-forming fatty acyl-CoA reductases (FAR) catalyze the reduction of activated acyl groups to fatty alcohols that can be esterified with acyl-CoA thioesters forming wax esters...
- Spatial dynamics of bar-headed geese migration in the context of H5N1
Department of Mathematics, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA
J R Soc Interface 7:1627-39. 2010
..We discuss the effect of repeated epizootic at specific migratory stopovers for bar-headed geese (Anser indicus)...
- Molecular cloning of an invertebrate goose-type lysozyme gene from Chlamys farreri, and lytic activity of the recombinant protein
Institute of Oceanology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, 7 Nanhai Road, Qingdao 266071, PR China
Mol Immunol 44:1198-208. 2007
- Genome sequence determinations and analyses of novel circoviruses from goose and pigeon
Department of Agriculture and Rural Development for Northern Ireland, Veterinary Sciences Division, Stormont, Belfast BT4 3SD, United Kingdom
Virology 286:354-62. 2001
..On the basis of nt and amino acid sequence identities, GCV is substantially less closely related to BFDV than PiCV is to BFDV...
- Generation of velogenic Newcastle disease viruses from a nonpathogenic waterfowl isolate by passaging in chickens
Department of Veterinary Public Health, Faculty of Agriculture, Tottori University, Tottori, 680 8553, Japan
Virology 301:206-11. 2002
..The results also suggest that chickens provide a mechanism for the selection of virulent viruses from an avirulent background...
- Avian circovirus diseases: lessons for the study of PMWS
Department of Agriculture and Rural Development for Northern Ireland, Stoney Road, Stormont, Belfast BT4 3SD, UK
Vet Microbiol 98:169-74. 2004
..The study of CAV-induced disease can therefore provide valuable, if less directly applicable lessons...
- Analysis of the complete nucleotide sequences of goose and muscovy duck parvoviruses indicates common ancestral origin with adeno-associated virus 2
Research Department, Phylaxia Sanofi Veterinary Biologicals Co LTD, Budapest, Hungary
Virology 212:562-73. 1995
..This is surprising, because the goose and muscovy duck parvoviruses do not require any helper virus for productive replication, suggesting that adeno-associated virus 2 has been derived from a helper-independent ancestor...
- Erythrocyte binding preference of avian influenza H5N1 viruses
Department of Microbiology, Faculty of Medicine Siriraj Hospital, Mahidol University, Bangkok 10700, Thailand
J Clin Microbiol 45:2284-6. 2007
..We found that goose erythrocytes confer a greater advantage over other erythrocyte species in both assays...
- mtDNA from fossils reveals a radiation of Hawaiian geese recently derived from the Canada goose (Brantacanadensis)
Ellen E Paxinos
Genetics Program, National Museum of Natural History, Smithsonian Institution, 3001 Connecticut Avenue, NW, Washington, DC 20008, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 99:1399-404. 2002
Phylogenetic analysis of 1.35 kb of mtDNA sequence from fossils revealed a previously unknown radiation of Hawaiian geese, of which only one representative remains alive (the endangered Hawaiian goose or nene, Branta sandvicensis)...
- Development of a polymerase chain reaction procedure for detection and differentiation of duck and goose circovirus
Chiou Lin Chen
Department of Veterinary Medicine, National Chiayi University, Chiayi, Taiwan
Avian Dis 50:92-5. 2006
..This PCR test could serve as a fast and sensitive method for detection and differentiation of DuCV and GoCV...
- Annual changes in body mass and resting metabolism in captive barnacle geese (Branta leucopsis): the importance of wing moult
Steven J Portugal
Centre for Ornithology, School of Biosciences, The University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham B15 2TT, UK
J Exp Biol 210:1391-7. 2007
..We aimed to determine whether captive barnacle geese (Branta leucopsis) would show the characteristic decrease in body mass during their wing moult, even though they ..
- Complete genome sequence and biological characterizations of a novel goose paramyxovirus-SF02 isolated in China
Key Laboratory of Proteomics, Institute of Biochemistry and Cell Biology, Shanghai Institute for Biological Sciences, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Shanghai 200031, China
Virus Genes 30:13-21. 2005
..The SF02 genome shared 83% identity and its 6 ORFs 81.9-86.1% identities with the reference APMV-1 strains. The possible mechanism determining different host range and pathogenicity is discussed based on genetic analyses...
- Seasonal patterns of sex steroids determined from feces in different social categories of Greylag geese (Anser anser)
Konrad Lorenz Forschungsstelle für Ethologie, University of Vienna, Grunau 11, A 4645
Gen Comp Endocrinol 114:67-79. 1999
Seasonal patterns of fecal 17beta-OH-androgen, estrogen, and progesterone equivalents of male and female greylag geese (Anser anser) were analyzed in a flock of free-living geese...
- Host-adapted Cryptosporidium spp. in Canada geese (Branta canadensis)
Division of Parasitic Diseases, National Center for Infectious Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Building 22, Mail Stop F 12, 4770 Buford Highway, Atlanta, GA 30341 3717, USA
Appl Environ Microbiol 70:4211-5. 2004
The prevalence and distribution of Cryptosporidium spp. in the fecal droppings of the free-living waterfowl Canada geese were examined at 13 sites in Ohio and Illinois...
- Excreted corticosterone metabolites co-vary with ambient temperature and air pressure in male Greylag geese (Anser anser)
Konrad Lorenz Ethological Research Station and Department of Zoology, University of Vienna, Austria
Gen Comp Endocrinol 137:29-36. 2004
..Focal individuals were 14 paired male greylag geese (Anser anser) from a semi-tame, unrestrained flock...
- [Detection of goose haemorrhagic polyomavirus (GHPV) in flocks with haemorrhagic nephritis and enteritis of geese in southern Germany]
Geflügelgesundheitsdienst der Tierseuchenkasse Baden Württemberg, Standort Heidelberg
Berl Munch Tierarztl Wochenschr 115:390-4. 2002
Two flocks of geese in the South of Germany independently diseased on Haemorrhagic Nephritis and Enteritis of Geese (HNEG) at the age of 4 weeks. The flocks were approximately 300 km apart but had received goslings from the same hatchery...
- The paradox of extreme high-altitude migration in bar-headed geese Anser indicus
L A Hawkes
School of Biological Sciences, University of Bangor, Deiniol Road, Bangor, Gwynedd LL57 2UW, UK
Proc Biol Sci 280:20122114. 2013
Bar-headed geese are renowned for migratory flights at extremely high altitudes over the world's tallest mountains, the Himalayas, where partial pressure of oxygen is dramatically reduced while flight costs, in terms of rate of oxygen ..
- Evaluation of an indirect enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay to study the specific humoral immune response of Muscovy ducks (Cairina moschata) and domestic geese (Anser anser var. domestica) after vaccination against Newcastle disease virus
Klinik fur Vogel, University of Munich, Munich, Germany
Avian Pathol 38:89-95. 2009
..efficiency and its suitability to monitor the antibody response in Muscovy ducks (Cairina moschata) and domestic geese (Anser anser var. domestica) following vaccination with a commercial inactivated NDV vaccine for chickens...
- Single vaccination provides limited protection to ducks and geese against H5N1 high pathogenicity avian influenza virus
Southeast Poultry Research Laboratory, Agricultural Research Service, U S Department of Agriculture, 934 College Station Road, Athens, GA 30605, USA
Avian Dis 54:1224-9. 2010
..Our study was conducted to investigate whether a single vaccination of 7-day-old domestic ducks and geese with inactivated oil emulsion vaccines resulted in protection against HPAI virus challenge at 30 days of age...
- Isolation, identification, and complete genome sequence of an avian reticuloendotheliosis virus isolated from geese
Chia Yao Lin
School of Veterinary Medicine, National Taiwan University, Taipei 10617, Taiwan
Vet Microbiol 136:246-9. 2009
Naturally occurring lymphoreticular tumors in geese have been found from time to time in Taiwan, but their etiology has not been determined except through morphological descriptions...
- Protective efficacy of a recombinant subunit West Nile virus vaccine in domestic geese (Anser anser)
Susan I Jarvi
Department of Biology, College of Arts and Sciences and Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, College of Pharmacy, University of Hawai i at Hilo, 200 West Kawili Street, Hilo, HI 96720, USA
Vaccine 26:5338-44. 2008
..The protective efficacy of a protein-based WNV subunit vaccine formulated with adjuvant was evaluated in domestic geese as a surrogate species for the endangered Nēnē, the state bird of Hawai'i...
- Testing the terrain hypothesis: Canada geese see their world laterally and obliquely
Department of Biological Sciences, Purdue University, West Lafayette, Ind, USA
Brain Behav Evol 77:147-58. 2011
..We tested this hypothesis in Canada geese (Branta canadensis) by assessing retinal topography, visual field configuration, and scanning behavior...
- Molecular cloning and sequence analysis of Spot 14 alpha in geese
College of Animal Science and Technology, Nanjing Agricultural University, Nanjing, PR China
Br Poult Sci 50:459-66. 2009
..The objective of the current research was to clone and sequence the Spot 14 alpha gene in geese. 2. We cloned the cDNA sequence of goose Spot 14 alpha...
- Lead, mercury, cadmium, chromium, and arsenic levels in eggs, feathers, and tissues of Canada geese of the New Jersey Meadowlands
New Jersey Audubon Society, 11 Hardscrabble Road, Bernardsville, NJ 07924, USA
Environ Res 111:775-84. 2011
..These metals were analyzed in eggs, feathers, muscle, and liver of Canada geese (Branta canadensis) breeding in four wetland sites...
- Wild geese do not increase flight behaviour prior to migration
Steven J Portugal
Centre for Ornithology, School of Biosciences, University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham, UK
Biol Lett 8:469-72. 2012
..Implantable data loggers were used to record year-round heart rate in six wild barnacle geese (Branta leucopsis), and the amount of time spent in flight each day was identified...
- Variability in pathobiology of South Korean H5N1 high-pathogenicity avian influenza virus infection for 5 species of migratory waterfowl
Y K Kwon
Southeast Poultry Research Laboratory, Agricultural Research Service, US Department of Agriculture, Athens, Georgia, USA
Vet Pathol 47:495-506. 2010
..of A/chicken/Korea/IS/06 (H5N1) HPAI in 5 migratory waterfowl species--mute swans (Cygnus olor), greylag geese (Anser anser), ruddy shelducks (Tadorna ferruginea), mandarin ducks (Aix galericulata), and mallard ducks (Anas ..
- Comparative genomic analysis of growth hormone gene in geese
Wen Ming Zhao
Animal Science and Technology College, Yangzhou University, Yangzhou, China
Anim Sci J 82:62-6. 2011
To explore the mutation characteristic of growth hormone (GH) gene in geese, all the exons and introns of the gene were amplified by 20 pairs of primers, and then single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) were detected by single strand ..
- Evaluation of fresh and frozen-thawed semen of individual ganders by assessment of spermatozoa motility and morphology
Poultry Breeding Department, Institute of Animal Science, Agricultural University of Wroclaw, Poland
Theriogenology 59:1627-40. 2003
..In relation to the fresh semen average from 57.2 to 63.2% of spermatozoa survived freezing process and from 23.9 to 38.5% remained morphologically intact...
- Early development of gaze following into distant space in juvenile Greylag geese (Anser anser)
Konrad Lorenz Forschungsstelle, Grünau im Almtal, Austria
Anim Cogn 14:477-85. 2011
..Greylag geese (Anser anser) are highly social birds with a precocial development...
- Safety and efficacy of an inactivated Carbopol-adjuvanted goose haemorrhagic polyomavirus vaccine for domestic geese
INRA, UMR, Toulouse, France
Avian Pathol 39:111-6. 2010
Haemorrhagic nephritis enteritis of the goose (HNEG) is an epizootic viral disease in domestic geese. The causal agent is a polyomavirus, namely goose haemorrhagic polyomavirus...
- Predation danger can explain changes in timing of migration: the case of the barnacle goose
Rudy M Jonker
Resource Ecology Group, Wageningen University, Wageningen, The Netherlands
PLoS ONE 5:e11369. 2010
..Recently, an increasing number of Barnacle geese breeding in the Russian Arctic have delayed their departure from their wintering site in The Netherlands by ..
- Circovirus-infected geese studied by in situ hybridization
Veterinary Sciences Division, Department of Agriculture and Rural Development for Northern Ireland, Stormont, Belfast, BT4 3SD, UK
Avian Pathol 34:227-32. 2005
It has now been established that circovirus infection is common in farmed geese, but little is known about the clinicopathological significance of such infections...
- The trans-Himalayan flights of bar-headed geese (Anser indicus)
Lucy A Hawkes
School of Biological Sciences, Bangor University, Gwynedd, LL57 2UW, United Kingdom
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 108:9516-9. 2011
..This challenge is magnified by the reduction in maximum sustained climbing rates in large birds. Bar-headed geese (Anser indicus) make one of the highest and most iconic transmountain migrations in the world...
- Antibodies to avian influenza viruses in Canada geese (Branta canadensis): a potential surveillance tool?
Whitney M Kistler
Daniel B Warnell School of Forestry and Natural Resources, 180 East Green Street, University of Georgia, Athens, Georgia 30602, USA
J Wildl Dis 48:1097-101. 2012
..Our goals were to estimate AIV antibody prevalence in Canada geese (Branta canadensis) and measure effects of age and location on these estimates...
- Characteristics of fresh gander semen and its susceptibility to cryopreservation in six generations derived from geese inseminated with frozen-thawed semen
Institute of Animal Science, Department of Poultry Breeding, Agricultural University of Wroclaw, Chelmonskiego, Poland
Cryo Letters 27:51-8. 2006
..Koluda ganders at the age of 8-9 months, then subjected to freezing and used after thawing for insemination of 10 geese in order to obtain the subsequent generation of males. Semen was diluted 1 to 0...
- Antigenic variation between Newcastle disease viruses of goose and chicken origin
Zhi Jie Li
College of Animal Science and Veterinary Medicine, Jilin University, Changchun 130062, People s Republic of China
Arch Virol 155:499-505. 2010
Newcastle disease virus (NDV) is believed to infect only domestic avian species, with waterfowl such as geese either not being infected, even by virulent strains, or developing only inapparent infection...
- Survey of Campylobacter species, VTEC O157 and Salmonella species in Swedish wildlife
Swedish Zoonosis Center, Uppsala
Vet Rec 153:74-80. 2003
Samples collected from 791 wild animals (Canada geese, roe deer, hares, moose, wild boar and gulls) shot during hunting were examined for verocytotoxin-producing Escherichia coli (VTEC) O157, and thermophilic Campylobacter and Salmonella ..
- Effect of exposure to long photoperiod during the rearing period on the age at first egg and the subsequent reproductive performance in geese
Sheng Der Wang
Changhua Animal Breeding Station, COA TLRI, 80 Tonung Road, Peitou, Changhua 521, Taiwan
Anim Reprod Sci 73:227-34. 2002
..during the rearing period on the age at first egg laying (AFE) and the subsequent reproductive performance in geese. Sixty-six White Roman geese (18 male and 48 female) were divided into three groups and subjected to different ..
- Outbreak of duck plague (duck herpesvirus enteritis) in numerous species of captive ducks and geese in temporal conjunction with enforced biosecurity (in-house keeping) due to the threat of avian influenza A virus of the subtype Asia H5N1
E F Kaleta
Klinik fur Vogel, Reptilien, Amphibien und Fische, Justus Liebig Universitat Giessen, Frankfurter Strasse 91 93, 35392 Giessen
Dtsch Tierarztl Wochenschr 114:3-11. 2007
..Movement of captive ducks and geese of many different species from a free-range system to tight enclosures and maintenance for prolonged times in such ..
- Gene segment reassortment between American and Asian lineages of avian influenza virus from waterfowl in the Beringia area
Department of Microbiology, Tumor and Cell Biology MTC, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden, Swedish Institute for Infectious Disease Control, Solna, Sweden
Vector Borne Zoonotic Dis 8:783-90. 2008
..On a field expedition to this area, we collected fecal samples from dabbling ducks, geese, shorebirds, and gulls on the Chukchi Peninsula, Siberia, and Pt...
- Endocrine regulations of reproductive seasonality, follicular development and incubation in Magang geese
Y M Huang
Department of Animal Science, South China Agricultural University, Guangzhou 510642, China
Anim Reprod Sci 104:344-58. 2008
..the regulatory mechanisms of seasonal breeding, developments of ovarian follicles and incubation in Magang geese, a short day breeding bird...
- Detection of avian pneumovirus in wild Canada (Branta canadensis) and blue-winged teal (Anas discors) geese
R S Bennett
Department of Veterinary Pathobiology, College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Minnesota, 1971 Commonwealth Avenue, St Paul, MN 55108, USA
Avian Dis 46:1025-9. 2002
Choanal cleft swab samples from 770 wild Canada geese (Branta canadensis) and 358 blue-winged teal (Anas discors), captured for relocation or banding, were examined for the presence of avian pneumovirus (APV) RNA by reverse transcription ..
- Attempts on freezing the Greylag (Anser anser L.) gander semen
Department of Poultry Breeding, Institute of Animal Breeding, Agricultural University of Wrocław, 51 630 Wrocław, Poland
Anim Reprod Sci 80:163-73. 2004
..Three Greylag and three White Koluda geese were involved in frozen-thawed semen fertilizing ability test...
- Enzymatic properties of rhea lysozyme
Department of Bioscience, School of Agriculture, Kyushu Tokai University, Kumamoto, Japan
Biosci Biotechnol Biochem 69:103-12. 2005
..Biochim. Biophys. Acta, 1388, 53-65 (1998)). The different binding free energy values for subsites B, C, F, and G from goose lysozyme might responsible for the amino acid substitutions, Asn122Ser and Phe123Met, located at the subsite B...
- Pathological observations of an experimental infection of geese with goose circovirus
Department of Veterinary Medicine, College of Animal Sciences, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, China
Avian Pathol 40:55-61. 2011
..We report here an experimental inoculation of 21-day-old geese with a GoCV polymerase chain reaction (PCR)-positive sample of bursa of Fabricius (BF) homogenate, and the results ..
- Diagnosis of goose circovirus infection in Hungarian geese samples using polymerase chain reaction and dot blot hybridization tests
N W Ball
Veterinary Sciences Division, Department of Agriculture and Rural Development for Northern Ireland, Stoney Road, Stormont, Belfast, UK
Avian Pathol 33:51-8. 2004
..and dot blot hybridization (DBH) test have been developed for the diagnosis of infection by a novel circovirus of geese (GoCV)...
- Protective efficacy of commercial Newcastle disease vaccines against challenge of goose origin virulent Newcastle disease virus in geese
Poultry Institute, Chinese Academy of Agricultural Sciences, 46 Sangyuan Road, Yangzhou, Jiangsu 225003, China
Avian Dis 52:467-71. 2008
Since 1997, severe outbreaks of Newcastle disease (ND) in geese in many regions throughout China have resulted in high morbidity and mortality, and great economic loss to farmers; however, no licensed, specific vaccine is yet available ..
- Heart rate during conflicts predicts post-conflict stress-related behavior in greylag geese
Claudia A F Wascher
Konrad Lorenz Forschungsstelle, Grünau im Almtal and Department of Behavioural Biology, University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
PLoS ONE 5:e15751. 2010
..Such behaviors may also alleviate stress, but the behavioral context and physiological basis of those behaviors is still poorly understood...
- The differential expression of hepatic genes between prelaying and laying geese
S T Ding
Department of Animal Science and Technology, National Taiwan University, Taipei 106, Taiwan
Poult Sci 86:1206-12. 2007
..hybridization was used to detect differential expression of genes in the livers of laying and prelaying geese. Liver tissues from prelaying and laying geese were dissected for mRNA extraction...
- Epidemiologic investigation of an outbreak of goose parvovirus infection in Sweden
Desiree S Jansson
National Veterinary Institute, Department of Pigs, Poultry and Ruminants, SE 75189 Uppsala, Sweden
Avian Dis 51:609-13. 2007
..included backyard goose eggs that had been delivered to farm A for subcontract incubation and hatching, wild geese that frequented the flock of breeding geese on pasture on farm A, and a clutch of Canada goose eggs (Branta ..
- Canada geese and the epidemiology of avian influenza viruses
Mark T Harris
Southeastern Cooperative Wildlife Disease Study, Department of Population Health, College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Georgia, Athens, GA 30602, USA
J Wildl Dis 46:981-7. 2010
Canada geese (Branta canadensis) are numerous, highly visible, and widely distributed in both migratory and resident populations in North America; as a member of the order Anseriformes, they are often suggested as a potential reservoir ..
- [Analysis of leader and trailer sequence of genotype III, VIb and VIId Newcastle disease virus determined by modified rapid amplification of cDNA ends (RACE) strategy]
Key Laboratory of Animal Infectious Diseases, Yangzhou University, Yangzhou 225009, China
Wei Sheng Wu Xue Bao 49:965-71. 2009
- Effects of phytoestrogens on testosterone secretion by Leydig cells from Biłgoraj ganders (Anser anser)
Dr M Opalka
Department of Animal Physiology, University of Warmia and Mazury in Olsztyn, Poland
Br Poult Sci 47:237-45. 2006
..Thirty-six male Biłgoraj geese were fed control diets with low phytoestrogen content (containing grass meal) and diets with high phytoestrogens (..
- Semen quality factor as an indicator of fertilizing ability for geese
S J Liu
Department of Animal Genetics and Breeding, College of Animal Science and Technology and State Key Laboratory of Agrobiotechnology, China Agricultural University, Beijing, China
Poult Sci 87:155-9. 2008
..The objective of this study was to test the suitability of the SQF as an indicator of fertility for geese. Twenty-one ganders were divided into 3 groups based on their individual SQF values, and semen was pooled within ..
- Multiplex RT-PCR for virulence detection and differentiation between Newcastle disease virus and goose-origin APVM-1
Ling Chen Kong
Department of Veterinary Medicine, South China Agricultural University, Guangzhou, China
Avian Dis 51:668-73. 2007
..Twenty-six viral isolates of NDV and four goose-origin APVM-1 were analyzed, and we found that the VII genotype of NDV is the most prevalent type in South China and that it is not closely related to viral strains common to Europe...
- Excreted metabolites of gonadal steroid hormones and corticosterone in greylag geese (Anser anser) from hatching to fledging
Konrad Lorenz Ethological Research Station, University of Vienna, Gruenau 11, A-4645, Austria
Gen Comp Endocrinol 124:246-55. 2001
..In conclusion, our data suggest a role for steroid hormones in the modulation of behavioral and morphological development in the precocial greylag geese, in agreement with the organizational-activational hypothesis.
- Humoral and cellular immune responses in adult geese induced by an inactivated vaccine against new type gosling viral enteritis virus
Avian Disease Research Center, College of Veterinary Medicine, Sichuan Agricultural University, Yaan, Sichuan Province, 625014, China
Poult Sci 89:2410-8. 2010
..A virus concentration of 10(5) 50% embryo infective dose/mL was subcutaneously inoculated into adult geese divided into 6 groups...
- Developmental toxicity of lead-contaminated sediment in Canada geese (Branta canadensis)
D J Hoffman
USGS Patuxent Wildlife Research Center, Laurel, Maryland 20708 4041, USA
J Toxicol Environ Health A 59:235-52. 2000
..sediment from the Coeur d'Alene River Basin (CDARB) in Idaho on posthatching development of Canada geese (Branta canadensis) were examined for 6 wk...
- Zoonotic diseases: health aspects of Canadian geese
R A Dieter
The Center for Surgery, Naperville, IL 60563, USA
Int J Circumpolar Health 60:676-84. 2001
OBJECTIVE: Review zoonotic diseases associated with Canadian geese. STUDY DESIGN: Review article: A review of the multiple physical, microbiologic and safety concerns, and methods used in controlling this potential problem...
- Avian cholera in waterfowl: the role of lesser snow and ross's geese as disease carriers in the Playa Lakes Region
Michael D Samuel
US Geological Survey, National Wildlife Health Center, 6006 Schroeder Road, Madison, Wisconsin 53711, USA
J Wildl Dis 41:48-57. 2005
We collected samples from apparently healthy geese in the Playa Lakes Region (USA) during the winters of 2000-01 and 2001-02 to determine whether carriers of Pasteurella multocida, the bacterium that causes avian cholera, were present in ..
- The relevance of environmental conditions for departure decision changes en route in migrating geese
Centre for Limnology, Netherlands Institute of Ecology NIOO KNAW, P O Box 1299, 3600 BG Maarssen, The Netherlands
Ecology 89:1953-60. 2008
..Thereafter, on the stopover sites, local accumulated temperatures allow the geese to infer information on the advancement of spring, which is then used to adjust the speed of progressing northward.